24 goals/assists in 24 games and yet Gooners are not convinced about him?!

theo walcot

Give Theo a chance! Cavani-Cruelty. Jack gave Arsenal its identity back.

Give Theo a chance!

It has been disappointing to read the negative comments and fans player ratings across the blogospere of Theo’s recent performances. In the last game, against Swansea, Walcott managed to get into scoring positions on a number of occasions and he also was able to get his fellow striker Giroud in on goal a few times. Theo missed his chances and of course he should be judged on that. However, he got close on a number of occasions and on another day he would have scored two or three goals: such is football.

He has played 24 games for us, and many of them were as a substitute. However, he has already amassed 14 goals and 10 assists; that’s 1 goal/assist per game. In the last two seasons Walcott had either a goal or an assist in 22% of all our PL goals. What is it that people are not getting re Walcott? It is about time to drop the gut-feeling and look at the hard stats. It is a must Arsenal sign him up, and I for one will be a very happy bunny when we do so.

He wants to be a central striker and in order to do so, Arsene will have to adopt the way the team plays. The way Arsenal were set up on Wednesday might be the way forward, and of course it will take time for things to settle down and the necessary automatisms starting to work. But we’ll get there, and I have no doubt that Theo can become one of Arsenal’s greatest goal scorers if and when he commits to the club for the long term. His partnership with Giroud is a potential match made in heaven, but it will need to be developed, and we need to remain patient.

Cavani-Cruelty

article-2257963-128D4383000005DC-165_634x497

I have written before how much I despise the transfer window gossip circus. 99% is made up and will leave fellow bloggers with constant feelings of disappointment. The latest gossip is based on Arsenal spending BIG money on Cavani. Those of you who have seen Cavani play, and I don’t mean in a video compilation but at least one whole match, will know what a phenomenally good striker he is. He would suit perfectly into Arsenal, no doubt about that, and if we are moving towards a 4-4-2 formation it would be even more perfect: we could have Cavani and Theo to start, with Giroud and Podolski as back-up; or Giroud and Cavani to start.

But it is very unlikely to happen. He is a sought after striker and comes at a very high price. If any of the oil-clubs show a serious interest then we are likely to be out-bid by them, unless of course he really would insist on going only to Arsenal. I cannot see it happen myself, and I can see it all end in tears.

Jack gave Arsenal its identity back

Jack Wilshere

It was fantastic to see JW10 in the hole on Wednesday. With Coquelin and Diaby dominating the midfield behind him, Jack was able to dictate our attacking play. He gave the team shape and focus and real attacking intent. Arsenal created a lot of chances through playing football on the floor, and that against an opponent that was set up, and very well-drilled, in avoiding this from happening. Jack cracked the Jacks’ structure though, and this has been missed so badly recently.

Jack’s ability to move into space in front of him with the ball, as well as passing it round with ease and composure, made all the difference. As soon as he goes past one or two players, everything is on the move, and gaps start to appear in the opposition’s defensive wall(s), which Jack spots and either moves into or plays the ball into. We have missed this a lot with Santi, who looks almost constantly to pass the ball and receive it back, without necessarily making much progress. I feel Jack has more forward thrust and makes things happen. Santi playing on the wing might suit Arsenal and him best. There is more freedom to move around the field and yet he gives good cover to our wing-back as well. He is a great player and has the potential to develop into our new Pires.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Jack gave Arsenal back its identity, with his vision, passing, penetrating, passion and drive, and I expect Arsene to start with the same eleven on Sunday. I also would like to stress again that Coquelin and Diaby made a real difference for us. Together they were able to protect our midfield better and also support Jack going forward. Both are good tacklers and good in the air, and they will get better the longer they can play together, and either of them can play well with Arteta as well.

I still really want a beast of a DM, as Diaby is so injury prone and Coquelin is not yet the finished article, but the combination of Diaby-Coquelin and Jack worked really well against Swansea.

Let’s see how they hold out against the Chavs on Sunday!

Written by: Total Arsenal.

115 Responses to 24 goals/assists in 24 games and yet Gooners are not convinced about him?!

1. gunnerpete says:

Wrong it was not Jack who gave us shape (at last) but Arsene being forced into playing two DFM.something he hates to do but we the fans have called for continuously. When will he learn that ‘dont let them in and you dont lose’

2. alexgunners says:

from last post

TA – It has been a very hot summer this time around. Erratic weather and quite a few fires as well.

Hi Alex, I also read Australia are the largest exporters of coal in the world, which I did not know. Is there a growing consensus that Australia has to become greener to achieve climate change again?

4. alexgunners says:

TA- As we discussed a couple of days ago, Theo needs som e fine tuning but will eventually get there. Certainly his stats are a lot better than in the past. Let’s not forget that for the 1st 8 or so games he only came on as a substitute or did not play a full game either.

As for Cavani, lets not even go there. We cannot afford him and he just signed a new contract not long ago. As much as he would be a great addition for us, it is not happening.

Jack has certainly helped us to gain our shape back. If you are playing along side him and you see him giving his all for The Gunners and you cannot lift your game, then you do not deserve to wear the Shirt. He is a great player now but he certainly will be a future leader at this wonderful club. Others should follow him and maybe we would not be in the position that we are in now

5. alexgunners says:

TA
    We do export a lot of coal. There is a concensus that we should be greener but it will never happen. I am a sparky by trade and our industry has gone through quite a few changes to lower our carbon footprint. I also install solar panels in homes and businesses. In the past 2 years, the Oz government has taken away rebates for solar installations. We are told be be more green but the government does not put its money where their mouth is. If we all installed these panels the government would lose so much money in taxes from power companies, therefore it’s not worth it for them.

Hi Alex,

A Sparky! That explains your electrifying responses! :lol:

That is a real shame re the lack of government support for solar panel systems. It would seem the obvious way forward in such a hot country….

Agreed re Jack driving on the rest – the boy has a lot of qualities!

7. alexgunners says:

It sure does make sense but theres not much that you can do about it.
    By the way how old is the Chocolate Labrador now?

He is 14 weeks, and growing very fast. Any time now he is going to hit puberty (after 16 weeks) and that is going to be fun!!

What about your dog?

9. alexgunners says:

I can see from the photos that he is growing very fast.
    Theo is 7 now, he is pure mutt, a mix of jack russell, chihuahua, and shitzu but has an amazing personality

Was he named after TH14? :)

11. E9 Gunner says:

@ gunnerpete
    Wenger has been playing two DM all season and last season, the only difference were the two that played DM in our last game thats their natural position.

Walcott wants £90,000, Podolski is currently on £90,000.
    Walcott 24 goals/assist – 24 games
    Podolski 17 goals/assist – 27 games

If you was in Walcotts position, why would you want to sign for a deal that’s less than Podolski’s?
    I’m not saying Podolski ain’t worth it, but you don’t hear people complaining about Podolski and he’s already on £90k performing worse than Walcott who’s currently on a 1/3 less in pay.

12. alexgunners says:

He certainly was, have always been a fan of his and alwayd hoped that one day he would live up to the hype. He is starting to redeem himself now and will only improve from here in his new role

13. alexgunners says:

Sorry TA, he was named after Walcott, my bad

Fully agreed E9 Gunner.

I have read somewhere that the Pod is our highest paid player on £100k or £110k.

No worries Alex :)

I considered calling our dog Theo but I wanted him to sign da ting first…

16. alexgunners says:

it would be nice if he did sign da ting

I know, it is just amazing how much we have to suffer from contract shenanigans every season: a really big downside to being a responsible, self-sustaining club… :(

18. alexgunners says:

everything for us seems to drag out for a long time, remember the signing or Arshavin? We almost did not make it.

Anyway, time for me to get some rest as i am working this weekend. Keep up the good work guys with this great forum. Until tomorrow and a little closer to game time. Good Night

19. Red Arse says:

Another juicy post, TA, and certainly one part of it is guaranteed to be controversial! :-)

On Theo, I was not going to respond because you know my views only to well. :-)
    However, you have raised points that cannot go unchallenged.

You have dismissed the views of those of us who have concerns about Walcott and his value to Arsenal by remarking we only rely on ‘gut feelings’.

That is not quite right!

– First and foremost, everyone relies on the evidence of their own eyes, and there are far too many Theo critics to believe that only those who feel positively about him are capable of coming to valid conclusions.
    I am sure you did not mean to imply we are incapable of honestly coming to our own different conclusions?

– Secondly, you say Walcott wants to play as a central striker, and to do so Arsene will have to adapt the way the team plays. Why? No player should ever dictate where he wants to play, and I reject that out of hand.
    If he was clearly a superb central striker, there would be no need to discuss this, as events would take their natural course, and AW would play him there and the fans would be happy for him to do so.
    He is not a superb central striker, and shows no likelihood of ever becoming so, which is why many fans will tell you that his close control is non existent, his spatial awareness and ability to ‘look up’ and assess his options negligible and his lack of height and physical robustness makes that notion unpalatable to many of us.

Now these are just opinions, and you and others have different opinions, and both points of view are equally valid, whichever of them turns out to be accurate in the end.

– Finally, you say we should look to the statistics to determine which set of opinion is correct.

That is not quite right, either.

You claim the statistics show Theo’s worth as a goal scorer and in making assists.
    But he does not accomplish these things on his own. He plays as only one part of the team, and it is other players passes which put him in with a chance to score, and with ‘assists’, which I believe are spurious for all players, are simply part of interplay between team members, and in his position you would expect him to have more ‘assists’ than a CF.

No. What we should be comparing is Theo’s performances against another winger,[Zaha, Lopez] who playing as part of the team may well return many more goals than he does, and make many more assists – or not.

Another related area that limited statistics do not address, is the number of ‘fluffs’ or mistakes that Theo makes with his mis-control, or running down blind alleys or making dreadful crosses, or checking and passing inside to someone in a worse position than he is in.

I have addressed this, at length, not in anger, but because you asked, “What is it that people are not getting re Walcott? It is about time to drop the gut-feeling and look at the hard stats.”

Hopefully I have shown you that there is far more to my view of Walcott, and other players, than simple gut feelings, and those views should not be lightly dismissed.

– Finally, finally! My countryman, Mark twain famously said; “there are lies, damned lies, and statistics” :D

The phrase has since been used by many others to describe the nebulous use of the persuasive power of statistics to bolster a weak case and win an argument.

We should not put all our eggs in a statistical basket! :D

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to argue a case, which has, for some time, needed a proper forum to do so. Yaay, BK!!! :-)

Nice post TA

Whats not to like about Theo. He scores goals and makes them. He is one of the fastest players in the league, a great asset for any club His improvement will continue and i hope he will become a great player.

How he finds time to perform in that JLS band and drive formula 1 cars i will never know, but it just shows his array of talent

Hes a very nice guy that obviously loves his mum. But he should realy make a descion about That Slade or Schzeringer women. It does him no credit to be continuosly two timing them and brings the name of Arsenal into disrepute.

Anyway, if he dosnt sign he will be a fool. We are on the verge of great things and this is his chance to commit.

21. Herb'sArmy says:

Afternoon all, thanks for the three-pronged Post, Total.
    Redders has covered most of the doubts surrounding Walcott.
    He has limited ability which works only against certain teams, he doesn’t perform anywhere near consistently enough, and he doesn’t/can’t do it at the highest level, i.e. CL.
    Is he a warrior who will fight in the trenches when required? Not a chance, he disappears like many others. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him lose his temper in an Arsenal shirt, I’m not even sure he’s capable of showing that much passion for the club.
    Added to that, he is part of a very impotent strike-force, as I alluded to yesterday. as was
    Transfer gossip/speculation is just that, we’re all well aware of our transfer policy, so it’s difficult to be excited about any transfer-window, this one included.
    Wilshere certainly led from the front, and playing Cazorla wide left allowed him the space in the middle of the park to show-case the talent he possesses, but I think enforced rotation is more likely the answer. Arteta was missing as was Rosicky, Podolski has needed resting for a while, and we all know Cazorla is a capable winger, it just surprises me that this is the first time this season it’s been tried. And we were 4mins away from extra-time, which means we could have been talking about a very different scenario leading up to Sunday. If we put a few of those performances together in consecutive games, we can be cautiously optimistic that we are turning a corner, but we are far from that at the moment.

Haha Redders, no surprise that rattled your cage! :P

Thanks for your in-depth reply. I have not got much time with all the winterfun going on, but here is my quick response re your three points:

Point 1 & 3 are the same for me. Theo stats are what matters most, because without goals and assists we win nothing. Of course it is a team sport, but van Judas gets all the praise and we don’t do the same with Walcott whose minutes between goal record is not much worse than the traiterous cant.

I feel strongly that many fellow fans disregard this and focus on an isolated event or match (a bad miss or an under-par game). The stats do not lie, and he can score against anybody: big or small. And he will only get better. I find it hard to accept that people cannot see that, but I realise everything is subjective in the end, and of course I respect that. :)

Point 2: Theo has to offer: great first touch, speed, finishing and his positioning is improving rapidly. He is not the typical CF like Giroud is, but neither was TH14 and how fantastic did he become? It is not about adjusting the team perse, but to see whether adjusting the team would be better for us in total. I reckon it will, especially in a false 4-2-1-3/4-4-2 formation or a pure 4-4-2 formation. This could be the answer to us winning big things again, and I reckon Wenger can see this potential and is therefore keen to hold on to him.

I am worried that the current fans’ attitude will make him decide to leave and that would be a cry and shame. And something we would come to regret badly in my view.

We are never going to agree on this, but it is always good debating with you, and for both points of view being aired fully (and Herb agrees with you!! :) ).

23. Herb'sArmy says:

Edison Cavani’s name has been put up as the type of signing we should be looking at to take us up to the next level, and with the commercial spin-offs a signing of that magnitude would bring in, it makes perfect sense, but there’s no-one at our club with the balls to sanction such a move, which is why most Arsenal fans have been reduced to praying that Walcott is the club’s saviour.

Hi All.

Sorry for short stay.Very busy this morning, will comment later Total.

Just want to say I am waiting for 8 entries to the UMF 1 League. Please get them in before ko tomorrow guys.

OZ
    Alex
    PPP + Red Arse
    TheGooner
    Rocky
    TMHT
    Herb

Many thanks.

COYG

Herb 13:04.

That is so so true.

Fair point Herb. It would be such a statement of intent if we were to sign him and it would have big commercial spin-offs: no doubt about that.

Theo signs new three and a half year deal. Now Wenger can get on with the matter of signing two players. hahaha.

28. oz gunner says:

Great controversial post TA. I like theo, but the whole contract thing has left a sour taste in my mouth. I just want him to play out on the wing and stop complaining about the central stuff. That position should be for Giroud and Pod only. Theo has plenty of goal scoring opportunities out on the right (Swansea game proved that) so I don’t know what his complaining is about. Giroud gives us that plan B, without it who on earth are we going to cross the ball too? Theo couldn’t hit a barn with his head! If a team sits deep with theo up top he is nullified. A 442 could work but I loved how we lined up during the week. 4213 is and always will be my favourite formation

P.S did i mention that i love jack???

@ Alex

same breed as my dog

@ VCC

are you sure you’re not Henry in disguise only here to rip our hearts out again.

29. oz gunner says:

@ Starfish Terry

You poor bloke, I’m still laughing about the snowball incident. It just keeps adding up for you. attacked by a loony at a bus stop, molested by a girl ghost when you were young, torn telescope during snowball fight, bird incident…hahahaha

30. Red Arse says:

And after doing the splits his knackers are gone! Dear oh dear!! :D

31. Red Arse says:

The BBC have announced Walcott has signed.

At least the saga is over, now to get behind him, and move on! :-)

You are a gent RA!! :)

Good comment Oz, 4-2-1-3 was indeed the line up, although it looked more like 4-4-2 at times. With both Giroud and Theo up-front we become hard to defend against, especially when Jack is driving forward, and he and Cazorla can pick them out anytime, anywhere.

34. Herb'sArmy says:

Oh dear. Another example of wasting good resources. Not a player who will take us to the next level. An average footballer on a grossly inflated wage, which instinctively proclaims a worrying lack of ambition.

Excellent news! Over the moon. A DM to follow and we are good to go! :)

Here is the link:

36. thegooner19 says:

Afternoon all,

Great summary of the situation currently surrounding Arsenal, I had no idea that we were all so deeply in love with Jack ;). Very happy to wake up and read that Theo has signed da ‘ting, though I can’t say I’m thrilled with the amount per week. I still don’t think he’s worth the 100k, but I guess player salaries are inflated in today’s game. What bothers me more is that Theo is demanding his pay and his position and even though his intentions may not be to signal that he’s bigger than the team, it certainly appears that way to me. I also have an issue with Theo being way too inconsistent in finishing, making an impact on the game in general and his feet moving too fast for his brain thus losing the ball on numerous occasions.

In terms of the Cavani rumours, it’s easy to squash those in a heartbeat – 91 million total if you factor in his 52 million buy-out clause and the 150k needed for wages over 5 years? Never going to happen…Despite all the links to transfer targets, AW is doomed to disappoint us once again with no new signings all while other clubs continue to improve around us. His comments suggest he’s going to wait until late in the window for prices to drop, but it appears all DM are currently being linked to other teams (Everton have bid for Capoue, QPR for M’Vila, Biglia wants to play in Italy, Diame likely not good enough, Wanyama staying with Celtic, nothing on the Strootman front). Without any new signings, Diaby will get injured and we’ll be right back to square 1 with no depth, no shape due to Jack dropping further back and no CL spot at season’s end.

Just my opinion, but reading AW’s comments and the lack of “true” links to any players has me concerned. Guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

37. GoonerB says:

Good afternoon guys. I know many if not most of you know me from the AA site. I have been on here a few times to read the posts but haven’t commented to date. I don’t always have as much P.C contact time as others so can’t trawl the internet looking at everything but I do find many of the posts on here interesting. I found this one interesting and well written by TA.

I have to say that I am, and have been for some time, in the TA camp on this and am very happy he has signed up. I would say that I don’t know whether Theo will become a first rate striker, but would like to find out rather than dismiss him too early. I always make reference to the time frame it took Thierry to make a regular impact, and have also felt for a while that collectively, (but not exclusively), Arsenal fans have become far more impatient with players than we used to be. Every missed opportunity or mis-control seems to be evidence that a player will never be good enough for Arsenal. As I said it may well turn out that those that don’t feel he will be good enough end up being correct.

I think he can play as a striker but maybe not every game is suited to this and sometimes he should play as an attacking wide player. I also was aware of Theo’s missed chances on Wednesdy but like TA was at least happy that he got into those goal-scoring positions. I know many of you feel it should only be Giroud to play up front but for me some of the goal-scoring positions Theo gets into, Giroud wouldn’t. I even noticed a couple of them on Wednesday that Giroud tried but couldn’t get to where had it been Theo chasing through he would have probably had a shot on goal.

As RA says, now he has signed, we can now just get behind him and we can find out exactly how far he will go and if nothing else we have at least financially protected an asset. Personally I think him and Giroud combined gives us an important blend in the squad so, for me, it is not about direct comparisons between one or the other.

38. thegooner19 says:

I think there’s an importance to this signing beyond retaining the potential of a top notch striker; it’s a signal that Arsenal are perhaps changing their ways and unwilling to sell their top players to other clubs. So in that respect, I’m very happy with Theo re-signing and he’ll only further complement our British core.

Hi TG, and GoonerB :)

Will read your comments now, and get back to you in a bit :)

40. Red Arse says:

Aaaghh!!!!

It’s GoonerB, quick hide!! :P

TG, it is a lot of money for Theo but it is still well below the likes of Nasri, Adebarndoor, Hazard, Mata etc. I am happy we kept him and let’s hope now we get at least a DM and hopefully an extra winger.

I can understand your mood is low re new signings, but you just cannot tell with Arsenal. They are shrewed negotiators and keep things low key usually.

42. Red Arse says:

Hi GoonerB, :-)

As usual you have approached the subject in a well balanced and sensible way. No surprise there then!!

Have I told you that I like your style?? :-)

As far as I am concerned, despite my previous concerns, this is a new beginning for Theo, and I will support him like any ‘new’ player, and let’s see how events unfold.

In addition, AW still has almost two weeks to sign someone else, if he needs to — but in the meantime, I am looking forward to the next match — snow permitting. :-)

43. thegooner19 says:

TA, while it is true that Arsenal have been rather low key about their negotiations in past seasons, their signings this past summer were completely transparent. I never doubted for a second that Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla were coming to the Emirates. I don’t have the same feeling about this transfer window unfortunately. AW acted early in the summer window to get his dealings done, yet now he contradicts himself and says it’s better to complete signings late in the TW (or is he only referring to late in the January window?).

44. Red Arse says:

I am going to get The Clog Inspector, aka the Glicster, to have a word with you!!

Apparently, the Netherlands is the centre of the horse meat industry, with everyone having at least a hoof a day for breakfast!

You had better have a good excuse for mixing our (British) beefburgers with Dutch ponyburgers, or Glic will leave you without a leg to stand on!! :D

Haha RA :)

I did not know that! There are about 16m people in Holland and 80 million chickens, 15 million pigs, and god knows how many cows, but I did not know about horse meat in burgers! :?

TG – you are our transfer expert and I trust your reading of the situation fully. I have low expectations, but will still be disappointed if we don’t sign up a beast before the closing of the TW.

GoonerB,

Thanks for your well-balanced, and as always, well-written comment. It is a pleasure to see you here and I hope to see you more regularly.

For me, the hattrick against NU was the final proof that he can make it up there, but it will go with ups and downs, and like you, I reckon he needs to play with Giroud together a lot. As a duo they will become so hard to mark and once they start finding each other automatically, they could become awesome. But like you say, time will tell.

48. Red Arse says:

I did not know that either, until I read about it in today’s paper.

Apparently the supplies of meat for the burgers etc, came from South America via a Dutch dealer as Holland is the horse meat eating capital of Europe.

The fact you know nothing about that puts doubts about it being true. I suppose someone has to be blamed. [I actually thought the French liked horse meat?]

49. GoonerB says:

RA, too late to hide. I am stalking you through the bloggosphere (is that a real word?). I also read a bit of the previous post and can I say that I am totally with you RA on the Jack Wilshere midfield role thing. I noticed mention of a discrepency with another blogger. I had a slightly strange reaction from another blogger on this subject. I wonder if it was the same one. I think, as they say, he has sent me to Coventry, but fortunately I have skin as thick as a rhino. It is just a shame that is the only anatomical similarity I have with that mighty beast.

By the way TA, is it just me that has thought that we actually look more potent at times when Giroud plays just behind Theo rather than the other way around as would be considered the norm. Giroud seems to have an eye for the final pass and I sometimes like it when he holds the ball up slightly deeper with others like Theo running beyond him. Maybe AW sees that and is looking for the Barca style rotating forward line where 2 or maybe 3 players could be regularly found rotating in the classic number 9 number 10 roles at different times of the game.

50. thegooner19 says:

TA, it’s not that I’m overly pessimistic about our chances of signing anyone, just that I’m overly protective of Diaby. I really, really want him to stay healthy and think he has a better chance of staying fit if we reinforce our DM position (as everyone would agree). AW has suggested we’re set for the middle of the park and I completely disagree with his assessment. I’m all for keeping faith in our group, but by no means are we set because we always succumb to injury. If Ox is being groomed for a central midfield box to box role then perhaps we’re fine, but his defensive game is still a work in progress.

GoonerB,

Fully agreed on Giroud playing closer to midfield than Theo. I would like Theo to have a free role, so oppositions do not know where he is. Giroud the pivot and Theo running circles around him, so to speak! :)

And you are right, Giroud has a good eye for an assist and decent execution as well.

TG, I like Capoue as well, and lets keep our fingers crossed!!

53. GoonerB says:

thegooner, I agree that another addition in a powerful DM (with pace for me also) would be great. We have a lot of technical ability in our midfielders so I would accept someone that is slightly less technically able as long as they have a certain technical ability but would be more concerned that they were powerful and quick. There are a lot of potential names mentioned, including Capoue. I think the more likely is Diame. When I heard we were looking at him I thought I was sure he had caught my eye before (maybe at Wigan). The footage that one of you guys put up on the previous post indicates he looks half decent and i wouldn’t turn my nose up at him. He has the added bonus of being more EPL acclimatised already.

I love horse meat. Take a walk down St Thomas Road on matchday and you have your choice of equine burgers. Matchday is not the same without a bit of shetland pony or sherger whopper.

GB, great to see you on here mate. Your posts always make a very good read.

55. Red Arse says:

GoonerB,

Can I just say that very, very occasionally one comes across someone whom it is best to ignore, and you may think it is the same person I was referring to, but I could not possibly comment!! :P

If you have been ‘sent to Coventry’, and I do not know if that is the case — think yourself fortunate!! :D

56. Red Arse says:

Terry Squirrel Nutkins, you are very naughty, and Glic will take you to task!!

Shetland Burgers indeed! You know full well you only eat the dangly bit at the rump end!! :-)

57. Herb'sArmy says:

The hat-trick against a knackered Newcastle convinced you he could play up front? I doubt very much he’d have had the same impact if we’d played West Ham three days earlier.
    Seventeen team goals in seventeen games says it all. We are very often toothless in attack, and we’re now paying even more money to a player who is at the heart of the problem. Sorry if I’ve missed something, but it makes no sense to me. Obviously no other top club wanted him, so he signed the only contract available. He must pinch himself in disbelief every night.

Sounds delightful Redders.will be on to he butcher tomorrow for some dangly rump. hahahaha

Herbie Baby, lets give Theo a chance, hes only 23. I hope the boy wil go from strength to strength.

its a good feeling that hes signed. Hopefully this is the beggining of an era were Arsene can finaly get to work building a team without been constantly undermined?, We shall see.

Herb, I can see why you are still not convinced about Theo. The BBC reported that all other English top club tried to sign him, but he wanted to stay at Arsenal, as he has always said.

The hattrick against NU convinced me because of its variety. Three very well exectued goals, all different and all class: Messi would have been proud of it. I am not sure how the fatigue factor of NU could have made it easier for any of his goals. He took them all with composure and precision, and against one of the best up and coming goalkeeper in the league.

He needs to become more consistent though, as per your earlier comment.

60. Herb'sArmy says:

Yeah, Terry, he’s only had seven years. If he was lining up against Arsenal for the opposition, he would not worry me in the slightest. Nowhere near the same class as Pires, Overmars, Bergkamp, Henry, or even Ian Wright. He is not a game-changer or someone you look at as a match-winner. I bet there are equally as many who are disappointed with this news, as those who are happy. I saw someone earlier refer to Walcott as the southern version of Stewart Downing, which sums up how under-whelmed a lot of supporters feel.

61. Herb'sArmy says:

Newcastle are 16th in the PL, Total, two wins in their last seventeen games. They arrived at the Emirates three days after going down 4-3 at OT, and without nine first-team squad players, to play an Arsenal team that had enjoyed the luxury of a full week’s rest, and you can’t see how that might have played a part?

Herbie, those seven years are the formative ones for a player. players tend to peak between 23-27.

It might turn out that we should have let him go, no one knows for sure and the proof will be in the pudding (Redders hahaha)

I guess this comes down to faith and judgement. I have faith in Wengers judgement of players so am happy hes signed on

63. thegooner19 says:

Herb, while I agree with you that Theo’s wages are not ideal, I would not go as far as to venture that he’s a southern version of Stewart Downing. After all, he has produced a goal and an assist in every season in which he has featured for us. Theo definitely needs to be given more time and the transition to striker is gradual and we’ve seen glimpses of the talent he can bring to the position. As I eluded to earlier, I’m happy about this signing not because we locked up a player with high potential, but because it acts as a signal of the changing of the tide in keeping our better players.

GoonerB, I agree that a DM with less technical ability and more determination, physicality and strong defensive reliability would complement our current group of midfielders well. Diame did score a beauty against us earlier in the season, when he nutmegged Ramsey and swung the ball far post out of Mannone’s reach, but his latest hamstring tear concerns me as we don’t need more injury plagued players joining our squad. Capoue, Wanyama or Strootman would be much preferred if possible.

64. Red Arse says:

Hi Herb, :-)

You are right, of course, there are many people who are not convinced by Theo, and I was one of them.

But everyone deserves a second chance, and wiping the slate clean is only fair.

Try and see it as new player signing, and hold off judgement until you see how he plays between now and the end of the season, now that all the contract fuss is over with.

You might be pleasantly surprised, if you do that, and if he is still under-performing, well, then there is nothing you can do about it anyway, except upset yourself.

Give it a go! I am! :D

Herb, did he take his goals well or not?

66. thegooner19 says:

UMF League Predictions:

Sunderland Away win
    Swansea vs. Stoke draw
    Man $hitty Home win
    Manure Away win
    Everton Away win
    Chel$ea vs. Arsenal draw

Here you go Vicks. This is getting realy bad, Cornwalls not even trying yet ime dropping like a stone

Arsenal 5-0
    Man Utd
    Man City
    Swansea – Stoke, Draw
    West Ham – QPR, Draw

68. thegooner19 says:

I forgot about the links to Luiz Gustavo from Bayern as well. Not only would he immediately help the steel aspect we are short of in midfield, but we’d also be taking away a player from a team we are set to face in the CL :). Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

69. glic says:

Evening Vertical Bacon Sandwiches :lol:

Fine post Van Cloggenstein aka Dodgy Horse Meat Trader. hahaha

Nothing like a Stallion Burger to keep your pecker up !.

I`m glad about the Theo news. Theres two Theo camps on here, I`m in the pro Theo camp and then there`s the Bastards !. hahahaha just kidding !
    Cavani, I haven`t seen him apart from Oz vid, but I could watch a Vid of Chamakh`s goals and think he was good !. I like seeing vids of the players skill`s, so it`s Isco for me !.

Jack, cant say anymore than I did yesterday, he`s a £50m player If I ever saw one !.

Good to see Go Boner…….I mean Gooner B…… on here today !. He doesn`t know it, but I saved the “Cottee” look-a-like from a scalping at the Tavern !. He has lovely thick hair like Tony and Stretch was getting admiringly twitchy with his plastic picnic knife, so I snapped it !. hahaha
    I`ve been everywhere today and got stuck on Exmoor, in a pub I was delivering to. I was the only person there along with the women owner and her just released from prison 21 year old daughter !. I left with two unanswered questions. 1) Why didn`t I become a prison officer in a women`s prison and 2) a question from their lip`s, who is Isco ?. hahaha

I watched the Swansea game yesteday and was most impressed with the pressing. If we could maintain that sort of pressure, tactics/system then we have a chance, but without it, nothing !. If we play like that again, is there room for Pod in the team in such a system unless he alternates with OG ?. It may have been only 1-0, but it could have many more with a bit of luck !.
    I thought Le Cog played well, but looks like he`s trying too hard to impress, knowing he might be out of the team in the next game !.
    If we want Le Cog to fullfill his potential then we need him to be given a longer run in the team, whilst Zorro is injured !.

70. Herb'sArmy says:

Yes, Total, as if it were Lionel Messi in person.
    Hi Redders, Gooner, that’s the thing with supporting a football club, they force you to support players that aren’t good enough. We’ve got no choice but to hope he comes good, but I won’t hold my breath.

71. glic says:

The other plus point of Theo is that we now have 13 days in which we can sell him for £30m, where as yesterday we wouldn`t have got more than £5m !. :)

72. Steve says:

Our midfield against swamsea(FA CUP) has been d best so far this season. There is pace, aggression, skills, purpose, tackles, balance, quick passing and shape, which has a lot to do with the introduction of coquelin. To me, arteta should be benched when he gets back. Don’t get me wrong, arteta is a very good player, but the midfield against swamsea has the right mixture and balance. Arteta will have his own kind of matches and i hope wenger plays him with the right players that will complement him and balance the midfield.

Thanks TheGooner and Terry.

TheGooner odds = 236-1
    TMHT odds = 123-1

74. Dylan says:

Thank you! The amount of idiot arm chair Arsenal fans I have to deal with on a daily basis that say Theo’s not good enough purely from what they watch on MOTD listening to Hansen and his utter bias towards any player not from Liverpool!!

Seriously, I was starting to think that I was the only one that rated Theo.

75. thegooner19 says:

My odds have been absolute shite for a while, going for the glory and picking out draws and away wins has been a serious downfall for me.

You are welcome, Dylan :)

Now we need him to score against the Chavs to proof us right (at least for a while) :P

thegooner19……..As I have said many times on here a 5-1 winner is better than a 500-1 loser.

Dylan, there are plenty on this site that rate Theo. Me included. Fingers crossed it proves the right move.

GLiC, have you thought any more about the Reading game?

He is semi-dyslectic VCC, the last thing he wants to do is a Reading game!

80. glic says:

I was hoping Total could trade some Stallion Burgers for Brighton game !, but If not, the Reading game would be fine Vics !.

81. glic says:

Or am I Reading that I`m a dyslexic with a semi ?

GLiC, looks like we wont be able to get tickets for the Brighton game. I have one last call to make tomorrow.

If this guy has any shall I ask for 4 tickets? You, Terry, Total and Me?

83. glic says:

Yes from me Vics !.

OK GLiC. I will check first thing in the morning, if no one else comes on I’ll try and get 2 tickets.

Thanks for offering, but not for me Vickers. I would love to meet up with you and the others, but prefer going to a home game in February.

hahaha Glic, definitely a dyslectic with a semi :)

No worries Total. Catch you all in the morning.

Sweet dreams Tricky Vicky :)

89. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

G’day Bk’rs, how are we all? :-) Ok, you can stop groaning now. IM BACK, get over it :-D

(Vertical bacon sandwiches :lol: its the best one to date)

I’m so so so so happy that the boy has signed da ting, not because i think he is the finished article, but because he has so much improvement left in him and who better to develop him than Arsene Wenger. He will not always get his way and play up top but i do trully believe he is yet to improve at least 50% and that improvement will make him a very very dangerous player, if he isnt already ;-)

Im also glad to see that we aren’t offloading our talent for the sake of self sustaining and Mr Merry Terry Infectious’ predictions are coming to fruition. Its such a good feeling to keep the faith and being rewarded with such great news. In my eyes he is an England international for a reason, ask any Croat (my half self included) what they think of Feo. Ok, given that his positioning and spacial awareness is not all there……yet, but the kid has a great first touch, his shooting is above average and he has more speed than a meth lab, so yes he has more than plenty to offer the Arse.

At least now we can start to look at some new signings! (What is with that statement Arsene :roll: )

Which reminds me, Vicky, i believe i get an extra point for correctly predicting 1 of our new signings….Fanks Feo.

Ok, off to do some mathematics and data research…. i am after all predicting for Redders this week….. I MUST NOT LET HIM DOWN, TWO SWEDISH BLONDES AWAIT HIM :-D

90. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Redders,
    Lars and Sven are very blonde and are helping me with your/my predictions. They would love a getaway weekend with yourself :lol:

91. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

These are our predictions for Redders (thanks Sven and Lars)

Shitty = Home win
    Dippers = Home win
    Swansea v Stoke = Draw
    West Ham v QPRoosters = Draw
    Manure = Away win

92. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Predictions for Prince:- ………..drumroll please……..

Shitty = home win
    Swans v Stoke = draw
    Wigan v Sunderland = draw
    Chelski v the Arsenal = draw
    Manure = away win
    Toffees = away win

Thanks Vickers, love your work.

93. oz gunner says:

my predicitons:

Liverpool
    City
    West ham v QPR draw
    Scum v united draw
    everton

94. oz gunner says:

morning PPP. I spoke to three sets of Chelsea fans and each and every one of them said the arsenal player they want most is theo!
    Sheer pace is a hot commodity!

As others have said, next year he’ll be in contract talks again it’s that short haha

95. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi Total, how are things?
    Henry’s (your puppy) eye keeps following me around the room, like one of those freaky portraits you would find in haunted house.

On the subject of horse meat, I tried some myself when i lived in West Aust. It was smoked like a ham and sliced very thinly because its such a muscly creature/meat that its the only way to enjoy it without having to chew for days. Personally i thought it was bitter and never again. This Italian bloke who owned the deli was telling me that in certain parts of Italy they are very keen on it, he also reckons that ‘makybe diva’ never tasted so good :lol: true story

96. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Morning Oz, how are ya mate.
    Im glad we have locked him in. Can you imagine the spew we would have to put up with had we let him run his contract down? In a few years time, all the top clubs will be sniffing around and 100k a week will seem like peanuts, im sure, such is the football world. How do you think we will go on our travels to Abramobitchs’ bunch ?

97. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Where am i going with ‘morning’ :roll: your a local lad!

I meant ‘Evening Oz’ :-)

98. oz gunner says:

I wish it was morning PPP, I’d get to have another full english and put on some blu rays before the mrs comes home. How’s things on the east coast?

100% agree. It’ll finally stop the ‘can’t keep hold of players’ thing. I can only see positives from it. He’ll improve, if not he’s English and will probably command 20 million in transfer fees. But I’m 100% behind him, nothing but support for theo from here on in!

99. oz gunner says:

1-2 win PPP. No mikel means jack and diaby will control the midifeld. Terry is under done so hopefully giroud can bully him around a bit. Coquelin to close down mata, that’s all she wrote

100. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Oz,
    Coquelin = Flamini (his last season) :-)

East coast is good, in fact its been blistering, i just came back from Melbourne. Watched a bit of the tennis and caught some rays (burnt) and being partially bold, my head looks like ‘rudolphs’ nose ;-(

1-2 against the chavs would be the beez kneez and give everbody the lift and belief that this team can actually cement our rightful top 3-4 spot. I would actually be quite content with a draw as i believe that this Chelski team, like us, is underperforming. But here’s hoping. Come on you great Gunners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps, notice the extra exclamation marks…just for you mate :-)

101. alexgunners says:

Hi guys,

Just dropping by to leave my tips for the UMF
    League.
    LPool – home
    Man$hitty – home
    Swansea – Home
    QPR – away
    The Gunners – Away
    ManUre – Away

Thanks

102. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

By the way, love the gravatar. My favourite though, has to be the ‘nevermind’ album cover.That one was pure art.

103. oz gunner says:

haha I love the extra exclamation points,it really drives your point home!

It’s been hot all round hasn’t it. I’d take it over the shocking whether these poms are having though! At least we can go for a run without being attacked by a polar bear or terry ‘the walrus syrup’ mancini!

They definitely are, 2 loses and a draw in their last 3 home games. Time to inflict more hurt on them.

104. Herb'sArmy says:

Morning, UMF selections:
    Swansea v Stoke – draw
    West Brom v Villa -draw
    West Ham v QPR -draw
    Man Utd – win
    So’ton v Everton -draw

Morning all :)

Great banter between the East Coast and West Coast Oz Gooners! :)

Good to see you firing from all cylinders, PPP, and good observations re Theo.

Oz produced a great pre-match which I will publish around 3pm today.

haha PPP – Henry’s all-seeing eye is everywhere!

107. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi Total, Any snow in your parts?
    Am looking forward to Oz’s pre-match. I hope he’s given ‘the finger’ directly to Rafa for going against his own princibles and selling out. I can remember him slagging off Chelski and the way their club was being run.

Im still very happy that Theo has signed, but will be very disappointed if that is the end of our transfer activity.

I hate transfer windows :-(

All agreed PPP :)

We have about 7cm snow here since Monday. Not too cold at the moment, and great fun for daughter. More snow to come apparently. Jealous of you and watching the tennis in Melbourne. My wife was born there and she still says ‘No’ the Australian way sometimes.

109. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Wow, i didnt know your better half was born in these parts. Any talk of holiday in the near future?
    And i would swap you our grand slam and our formula 1 to get a little slice of EPL atmosphere.

110. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Sorry champ, i meant ‘other half’ :-)

Haha PPP, she is my best half! :P

Yes born in Melbourne and lived over there for four years (which apparently are the most formative years). She has never been back and neither have the parents, but it is still on the wish-list.

It would be so good if you and Oz, and Alex could come across to watch a couple of games and meet up. I know it is very expensive and time consuming but you would all never forget the experience. Carpe Diem – Carpe Arsenal!! :)

Morning BKers.

On behalf of the UMF League many thanks for your entries this week.

That handsome f—– who is wearing the Yellow Jersey has asked to make a statement. “Will you muvvers get your fingers out, cos this Jersey is getting heavy ;-) ” Good luck

Odds for every one is a sfollows =

Total……………490-1
    VCC…………… 84-1
    GLiC………….8910-1
    Henry ………. 423-1
    TheGooner…. 236-1
    TMHT…………. 123-1
    Red Arse (PPP) 42-1 (stitch up)
    Oz………………. 32-1
    PPP………………. 214-1
    Alex………………. 142-1
    Herb……………… 268-1

Just waiting for Rocky to submit. May be too late as he is travelling home to Canada as we speak. Get your finger out Sir Rock.

Latterz ;-)

GLiC, Terry and THIMC.

I have requested some tickets from a source. All sold atm. If there is any late cancellations can I have numbers please. He said sometimes there are cancellations as late as Thursday/Friday before the game. Please contact Total and leave a contact number if I so need it. Cheers guys.

COYG

New Post – New Post! :)

Just a quicky before I issue Oz’s blockbuster Pre-match later this afternoon.