August 2013: Bergkamp new coach, 4-4-2, Capoue new DM, Isco new Winger
Well, that would be my wish-list for the new season.
As it is very quiet with us having to endure another mini-interlull, I thought it would be fun to blog today about what changes all of us would like to see at the start of the 2013-2014 season. I wrote yesterday about the good building blocks being put into place by Arsenal, in order to once again make a sustained effort to bring home silverware. For good order, I will repeat them again, as they should form a good basis for further discussions today:
- A British core of very talented players with real passion for the club;
- The acquisition of predominantly Spanish and German quality, experienced players;
- The upwards push of talents coming through from our player development system;
- The removal of players who have not made the grade by either selling them or loaning them out till their contracts expire, or just letting them run out their contracts;
- All key players have been signed up on long term contracts now, which should enable us to hold on to players, at least in the next few years;
- More money available from now on, to both hold on to players better – by steadily and responsibly increasing their salaries if and when appropriate – and attract two or three quality players every season.
In order for today’s blogging to have a bit of structure, I propose you answer the following questions:
- With almost all our new British talents signed up, it would be really good to see a talented and well respected coach join Arsenal’s management team. Bergkamp would be my first choice, but who would you like that to be?
- With three attackers who all want to play in the middle – Pod, Giroud and Theo – and two more options to play centrally – Ox and Gervinho – and good quality midfielders across all positions – I would love us to play 4-4-2 from next season onwards. I reckon it will get the best out of the combo of Theo and Giroud, and with the likes of Cazorla, Ox, Gervinho, Pod, Gibbs, Coquelin on the wing, we have players who can combine the defensive and attacking tasks of the mid-wing positions really well. But what would your ideal formation be?
- If we are to play 4-4-2, I reckon we need, even more than now, a beast of DM to join Arsenal over the summer. Capoue ticks all the boxes for me. If Arsenal is indeed able to hold onto all key players this summer, and you could make one quality signing, spending in the region of £15-20m, who would you want to join Arsenal over the summer?
- I would love another quality CB, but if we can get Capoue I could live with giving TV, Koz, BFG and Miguel/Djourou another chance to form a solid defence; although I could change my mind if we don’t see a step improvement in our defensive performances over the next four months. So, if I could add one more, reasonably affordable, player to the squad; it would be a really exciting, fast and technically gifted, goal scoring and assist making, quality winger. Isco would tick all the boxes and with already three Spanish players in our starting-11 currently, I reckon Isco would fit in really well. And Remy Cabella, Giroud’s former team mate at Montpellier, would be a very good second choice. But who would like to add as a second choice?
To repeat the questions:
- Who would you like to join us as an extra coach?
- What would be your ideal formation for the next season?
- Who would be your priority signing over the summer?
- Who would be your ‘in an ideal world’, additional signing this summer?
Remember, it is just a bit of fun!
Written by: Total Arsenal.