Sczcesny, Fabianski or ANother next season?

A couple of well respected regulars have been debating who should be our nr.1 goal keeper.        Fabianski has done well this year, proving to be a safe pair of hands throughout the FA cup campaign. Szczesny is having a decent season, but just does not seem to be able to leave out his mad max moments in most of his games, putting his team in danger without any or little reason.

Szczesny is an extrovert chancer whereas Fabianski is more introvert and focused. Both have been prone to errors in the past and are not the finished article, but they have potential and goalkeepers reach their peak usually a lot later than their on field players.

I am interested in hearing the views of the wider Gunners’ fan base: who should be in goal for Arsenal next season: Fabianski, Szczesny or should we buy some one – and if so, who?

Over to you fine fellow Gooners!

TotalArsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Sczcesny, Fabianski or ANother next season?

1. Dylan says:

My opinion has always been clear. Szcz to start. Fab to back up. Both great keepers, but Szcz is a leader and a true Arsenal player. Legend potential.

Good one, Totes… (and thanks for the answer re: the manager in the last thread…)

Like I said on that one, let Fabianski win us the cup (and get him signed up..), let Szcz get us up for 4th, and let them fight it out next year. Fabianski, if you believe he really got injured during the run-in last season, doesn’t have the best injury record… But, of course, he’s only an injury or another Szczesny red card from playing tomorrow… :)

Watching the Chelsea match and Mannone is keeping Sunderland in it. In a league where you can body check players out of the way (Larsson on Ramires late in the half…) size and immunity to injury (w/o getting called for it) is a real issue. This might be the big difference between the PIGs (Poles in Goal)…

Keepers matter…Cech is the best (Chavs would still be up a goal if he was playing…) and ALL the younger keepers (De Gea, Hart, Mingolet) are just as suspect as Szczesny (I think). Others aren’t living up to the hype–i.e., Begovic, Steklenberg… The 2nd best keeper in the league, I think is Lorries… The old guys can’t go on forever, however, which is maybe why Cech came down with a “virus” today… Frankly, I doubt that guys like Casillas or Julio Cesar are up to being the #1 on an English title winning team. Pepe Reina had his issues even though he’s a pretty solid one, I believe…What about an American keeper? Howard at Everton, is decent but he’s working on his next career (as a commentator)…

Extrovert over introvert might be important too, but you’re the expert there… “I’ve got it,” seem like three very important words in the footballing vocabulary, but then, of course, you’ve actually got to get it… Naturally, I’d like to know what you (TA) think…

Of course, lose (or draw) tomorrow (or any of the remaining matches) and maybe the new manager can bring in a whole new set of keepers… Anybody in (world football) you fancy?…

3. eduardo says:

I really don’t get this whole down playing of how good a season Szczesny has had, most home clean sheets of any keeper in the FAPL, second overall in clean sheets and his stats for all aspects of keeping are top class this season, but Gooners always seem to think the grass is greener far away. Szczesny has improved year on year, why should he not improve again next year, and if he does he is very likely to be the best keeper in the league. I seen him get blasted by Gooners for recent games like the Everton one, where in fact he made outstanding saves in build up to two of their goals, but it seems some ignore this and cos 3 goals went in they automatically blame the keeper.
    Fabianski went walk about in the FA Cup Semi but got away with it so Gooners ignore it, Szcz does the same and he lacks focus or is a clown or is not professional enough. don’t get me wrong on Fabianski, I think he is a fine keeper, and we need to do as much as we can to keep him, but Szczesny has far more to his game and commands his area far better.

But its time Gooners got off the bandwagon and appreciate the 2 quality keepers we have and stop letting their mistakes of earlier seasons blind them on just how good these guys are. In the same way stop over rating keepers you see on MOTD or keepers like Iker Casillas who was once a great but is now a pale shadow of his former self, at this point in time Szczesny is better than him and is only going to get better.

4. LovetheseGunners says:

I don’t normally post, but I think Fabianki should stay and be given some playing time as he’s done really well every time he’s been needed over the last year or so. Szczesny should also stay, and I agree that he could become a future legend, but he’s not there yet, and I don’t see the point of wasting money on someone elses’ castoffs when we have two very good keepers who both care a lot about Arsenal. You could see how much that penalty shootout meant to Fabby. We know that Szcz bleeds Arsenal, but I’ve always got that feeling that there’s moment of madness about to happen, while Fabby over the last year or so is a much calmer presence. I think we should keep them both and rotate them a bit more, but at the very least Fabby deserves to keep his place for the FA Cup final.

5. Dylan says:

WHO CALLED IT! WICKHAM AND BORINI TO END THE STREAK 2-1!

Wow…Penalty given on Azpiliqueta…

Borini makes it! 2-1 Sunderland, 82nd min…

(And I bow to Dylan, who called it, even if he didn’t say it would be a pen…) Chelsea season and Moo’s home record on the line… lol…

7. Dylan says:

Dylan knows all!

Sheik-o-garch teams cannot get past bottom of the table Sunderland!… If Mike Dean isn’t mysteriously murdered, I’d say that the big boys gotta up their payments… ;)

Looking forward to your match preview, kid… Give a little love to the old guys, OK, we need all we can get…

Staying on topic… Don Vito did pretty well himself today, no?…Should’ve kept him?… ;)

ahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahha

sorry, Dyl’s but I kinda beat you to the sunderland doing Chelsea one and was the first one to predict it ;)

but who cares let’s all enjoy this

ahahahahahahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

if Liverpool lose tomorrow then maybe just maybe our “miracle” might still be on.

Whoa…Post match replay shows that Azpiliqueta was nowhere NEAR Altidore when he went down and stretched to make the contact…If anybody got fouled it was the defender…

Oh well, couldn’t happen to a nicer team, manager, etc. Norwich now (somehow…) need to win (or at least draw tomorrow)… ‘Pool look pretty good, at the moment…

Wow Dylan, you called spookily exact! If you had put 10 pound on that you would have won a few grand. Chapeau to you, young master Dylan, man of the future! :D

13. Dylan says:

JB, but I predicted the scorers. ;) I predicted Wigan to win the FA Cup last year (before the quarter final), I predicted Arsenal to win the FA Cup this year (which they better, also before the quarter final), and I predicted the score and scorers here. ;) Now, let’s see if I can predict tomorrow’s match in my preview. ;)

justice is a dish best served cold (in the eternal words of moi)

west brom got done by Chelsea in the last minute and Ramires the cheat dived , as a result , steve clark lost his job, eventually.

that is all what I am going to say @ 17HT !

they have had a fair share of dodgy decisions go their way, this is the time to relish and wait for the special one to come on cameras and start moaning.

I said it before and will repeat again !

we could be chelsea, spend 100 million every season and end up winning nothing in the end (ouch) but thank god we are not a club without class.

ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

Mike Dean makes some bad calls (they all do) but really doesn’t let those home crowds (esp. the London crowds) intimidate… Dead man walking?… After all, it’s only the 21st century…

Mourinho interview could be unbearable (or entertaining…I hope) if he gives one… They’re still in the CL, I guess…

Dyl’s my man,

can you give me tonight’s lottery’s number please, I promise to give you 10% of the jackpot (you can get my email from Skipper :D

PS: tomorrow we will be winning 6-1 ;)

ahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

loved that sulking and childish interview by jose.MORON

i got 4 things to say and once he said them, ok bye

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

on the topic itself,

Sczny is no doubt an Arsenal legend in the making but at the moment he is no where good enough to be the no.1 goalie at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

on Merit, Fabianski deserves to be the no.1 goalie and should be getting more games at Arsenal- after all, last season – it was Fabianski who rescued our season and got us something out of it which led us to a run of more than 10 games unbeaten.

Sczny has cost us 2 CL’s in succession and in a row, and nearly a top 4 finish -

the problem has always been there for all to see – lack of a world class goalie at ARsenal and decent competition for Sczny

I feel Fabianski has harshly been treated by AW and had he been at any other club, he would comfortably be the no.1 Goalie.

but all this is something which I am repeating and all of you already know.

next Season, I would love to have Sczny and Casillas as Fabianski deserves to be a number one goalie at a decent club.

Just email me those lottery numbers Dylan and I will fwd them to JB, honestly, I will hahahahaha! :)

I’m sure Dylan (or his mom…he might not be legal for lotteries at his age) would be playing US lotteries…So, really, you should be forwarding them to me, Total… Smiley…(I really don’t like the new ones very much…)

Mourinho was just a tad sarcastic in his statement/interview… On that note, who’s the ref tomorrow?…

21. Evening Scrotumesque Tackle Ticklers !. :lol:

I prefer Szczesny, but think Fabianski should on moral grounds play in The Final and Wenger being a man of honour, will see it so and will probably inform them from The Cayman Islands whilst depositing half of Fabianski`s wages into his off shore account !.
    Talking of Poles, I have a Polska mate at work and you know what it`s like, you have to ask them some rude words from their language !…….trouble is, the Polish language is fcuking hard to get a hang of !.
    I asked him what is Polish for…..” Massive Clitoris” !, he said……” Mzckxzski Czsxzcsk” ! and to tell the truth, I`m still having trouble trying to get my tongue around it !.

22. Dylan says:

Check your mail TA, I’ve sent some numbers for JB. ;) Off to write a preview now!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Dylan, nooooooooooooo noooooooooo noooooooooooo

what have you done,

never ever trust a dutch master !!!!

we are both doomed now, you can forget the 10% share of the pot now, 100% guaranteed ahahahahahhahahahaha

Jose.MORON :

Here’s what Jose Mourinho had to say in his post-match news conference: “I will not wait for your questions, but in quick four points I can say what I want to say. You can ask me what you want but I will answer exactly the same way.

“The first point is to congratulate my players. They did everything they could, they fought from the first to last minute. We praise players after victory and I think it’s fair to praise my players after a defeat.

“Secondly, congratulations to Sunderland. It doesn’t matter how, or in which way, they won but they won. I think it’s also fair to congratulate them.

“Third point, I want to congratulate again. This time Mike Dean. His performance was unbelievable and when referees have unbelievable performances it’s fair to congratulate them. He came here with one objective, the objective to make a fantastic performance and he did that.

“Congratulations to Mike Riley, because he is the referees’ boss, and what they’re doing all season is fantastic, especially in the last few months, especially for the teams involved in the title race, and I also congratulate Mike Riley.”

That’s right, JB, I am a dirty Dutchman, a Koeman hahaha!

Hahaha, Cockie :)

Thanks for the numbers D! :lol:

Eduardo, excellent defending of Szczesny!

I can see his potential, but I don’t think he is a safe pair of hands for us yet.

Welcome LovetheG :)

Good comment. Not sure about regular rotation though, as we need stability and strong team play for the back five, and the same goalkeeper is a key part of this, no?

28. Dylan says:

You have mail TA! Early match preview as I had some time! ;)

29. Dylan says:

I’m reading about an absurd price around €23m for Morata with a buy back clause of just slightly more. Not worth that money and AFC should not allow a buy back clause. There are other options.

30. mr bond says:

Both keppers are good. Szczesny might be slightly better and that’s because Fabianski haven’t enjoyed as much game time as szcz. But I have to give the Fab good credits for turning up any time he’s been called upon. The issue is that they grew before us and cost us some points because of some teething mistakes during their career formative period so we’ve not been able to trust them. But arguably szczesny and fabianski are up there with the best. Most keppers their age are not as good and are prone to mistakes too. We don’t need another addition in that department. The priority should be to strike a deal with fabianski that gives him more playing time in order to retain his services. We must use our 100 million war chest judiciously. Most world class players that can really strengthen our team are expensive enough, burning our hard earned money on areas where we are already strong does not make sense. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that we are not being bankrolled by oligarchs and oil barons but by astute and wise investments here and there, Come to think of it these lavish and unchecked spending is not a guarantee for success. Ask the chavs and the man Cs and they will tell you. Am proud of my team and how they conduct their business on and off field. We ooze of class, we always do.

31. LovetheseGunners says:

Thanks Total, I agree that it’s important to have stability at the back, but I don’t think it needs to be the same goalkeeper all the time. The back four seem comfortable with either of our goalies and know both of them well, so it shouldn’t be a big issue to give Fabianski some more playing time, it’s being reported that he doesn’t really want to leave, he just wants to play more, which seems fair enough.

32. Highbury Harmony says:

Thanks for an article that is sure to spark debates from both sides TA!

I’m relatively split on this matter – I believe that GKs peak later in their careers and that it would be a mistake to give up on Ches right now, but also that Ches has let us down in big games and it’s unknown as to when he will truly become consistent (or at least against the top sides).

IMHO, we would be well served to bring in a GK that is in his mid 30′s with an established track record of success (ahem Casillas ahem). I believe he could act as both a mentor to Ches and provide us with that big game experience that our squad often lacks. For the most part, our back four looks comfortable with any GK in net, however we still have our fairly routine break downs that lead to the goals we concede (will happen to any club, but happens relatively consistently to us). In those instances, it would be ideal to have a keeper like Casillas that can bail our defense out.

Beyond that, it’ll be vital to have a CDM with more pace that is capable of pressuring the opposition more. Arteta will be turning 33 last season and never really had a burst of pace to begin with. As a deep lying playmaker, he is not really getting the job done either, which has hurt us imo. He’s played more conservative than ever with his sideways and backwards passing, allowing his CM partner to do more of the offensive and B2B work (pretty much contradicting Arsene’s theory of having two CM that can interchange between offense and defense).

JB, I think you are right to have reservations about Szczesny; he has got some way to go. But replacing him is not as easy as you make it sound, and the question remains whether there’s anybody who would be a big improvement on him.

I am tempted to give Fabianski the nr1 job at the start of the season and let Szczesny work for it….

Many thanks Dylan. If ok, I will issue it in the morning (too tired/drank right now). :(

17, I agree that goalkeepers matter. We need to get it right going forward, but do you think Wenger gives it enough priority? Almunia comes to mind….

Thanks MR Bond (not JB)!

All agreed ltG, and agreed on needing to keep Fab if possible.

Good to see you commenting more, HH. Your comments and analytical posts are missed a lot. :)

I am tempted to agree that a 30+ GK would be wise decision. Whether Casillas is the right option remains to be seen, as I would prefer PL experience.

nothing in life is easy, however, if you have ambitions , targets and goals then you have to take tough decisions for the betterment – in the eternal words of moi and I quote

“if you take care of the present then the future will sort itself out”

at the moment, AW’s philosophy seems to be ” take care of the future and fcuk the present without lube “.

I understand your temptations and Fabianski has deserved that no.1 slot in m books, but I also know that it won’t happen and sadly, Fabianski will have to do what’s best for him just like what Mannone has done – look at Mannone flourish now.

40. Admir says:

Hello, people!

Congrats, Dylan, for incredible prediction. :) My big predictions that turned out to be true:

-whole WC 1998 – I got three out of four semifinalists correct (FR Yugoslavia were replaced with Brazil) and a lot of correct scores including: I predicted Nigeria would beat Spain, that Romania would beat England, that Croatia would beat Germany 3:0, that France would win the competition (except Total’s Oranje failed to reach the final to complete my prediction),

-most of EURO 2000 including Portugal and Romania going through at the expense of the big nations England and Germany;

-Champions’ League 2000-01 – I got it right that Bayern would win it…after they had been beaten by Lyon 3:0 at Second Group Stage (we were in the same group);

-a few unfortunate ones – that we would suffer heavier defeat against Manure in 2011-12 than the one in 2000-01; that we wouldn’t come close to win CL after we hadn’t beaten Barcelona in 2006; that we would sell Van Prick after Podolski and Giroud had signed…

Speaking of our goalkeepers, Total raised an interesting question (as usual).

I’d go with Fabianski until the end of the season. You all know what I think about Szczesny – when in form, he is the best pair of gloves in the whole league – but Fabianski has been more reliable recently and we don’t need stressful events in the last five matches of the season.

When it comes to next season, I don’t see Fabianski at our goal at all. His contract is expiring and he’ll leave the club (hopefully with the FA Cup medal on his chest). I was thinking about that goalkeeper conundrum that Arsene Wenger (or his heir) will have next summer – we’ll lose Fabianski and Viviano so Szczesny will be our only experienced option. Victor Valdes might be the player Wenger will try to lure – he is going to be a free agent in the summer, he is an experienced goalkeeper, he is a sweeper-keeper who has a good technique and we might have no competition for his signature given that he has a long-term injury (and, as we have noticed with Kallstrom, Wenger sees that sort of circumstances as our advantage). Szczesny would be our first choice goalie until Valdes returns from the injury while Iliev/Martinez would be on the bench.

I don’t rate Valdes highly, to be honest, but given that Wenger’s priorities are usually those of financial nature, then you can place a quid or two on Valdes’ signing.

41. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, I’m happy to finally have some more time to devote to Arsenal and BK! Fortunately, being promoted to a more senior position has not led to an increased work load and has actually reduced it, since it’s more about facilitation now and client engagement.

I’m not convinced that PL experience is necessary for a GK. I think if you are world class, it doesn’t matter what league you play in; your class will shine. Casillas has been one of the best GK’s in the world for the past decade and I think he needs a change of scenery. Playing alongside a former team mate in Ozil, fellow country men in Santi, Nacho and Arteta could be just what the doctor ordered.

I truly believe that we are only a couple signings (granted a healthy squad too) away from winning the league and challenge for the semis in the CL. I don’t think Bayern or Real could even compete with us if we bought a ST, a true B2B beast and a GK, in addition to Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Gibbs, Theo and Koscielny all being healthy. First X1 against first X1, we could match up with anyone in the world and I believe our chemistry and team play would see us through.

42. Highbury Harmony says:

Also, is it weird that Ramsey has become one of my favourite players after all the time I previously spent putting him down? Hahaha Oz, I know you will laugh at me, but I want him to do well and really enjoyed watching him play the first half of this season. 8 goals, 6 assists, 66 successful tackles and 19 interceptions in 17 games; also, 434 completed passes in the first three months. He was producing at a rate better than any other midfielder in the world and his production as a mid was comparable to the best strikers in the world!

Please stay healthy Rambo!

You have almost sold Casillas to me, HH, but there is still a bit of doubt re his ability to adjust/fit into the squad, get used to the physicality and pace of the PL etc.

Well done re Rambo. You owe him a post I reckon! ;)

Nice self-quote JB :)

Lets see what Wenger does with Fab; stranger things have happened…

I like the sound of Valdes too, Admir, but same goes for him as for Casillas…. will he fit in/ adjust?

Nice joke the other day… twice :)

New Post New Post :)

The Predictor has written a fine match preview to get us into the game.