What did Dennis Bergkamp mean to you? Leave a tribute

We all love to witness winning football by our beloved Arsenal, but nothing surpasses the experience of winning beautiful football. For many supporters, DB10 will always be the epitome of (striving towards) beautiful football. This site was set up in honour of his genius and quest for beautiful football. See also the page ‘About Bergkampesque’ above.

Dennis has inspired me even beyond football: he made me realise that the pursuit of beauty is a worthy aim in itself in whatever you do; but also that just winning, or being successful, is not everything in life.

It has been a while since we had the luxury of experiencing winning football, let alone winning beautiful football. There has still been plenty of beautiful football though: even during the last seven years there were many games in which we played deadly attacking, breathtakingly beautiful football.

Since Dennis played his last game for Arsenal, now more than six years ago, it is fair to say that not only Arsenal lost a great player, but the whole of the Premier League did so too. Cesc Fabregas could have been on his way to get somewhere near the genius and beautiful football of Dennis, but he left far too soon to be even considered in the same league as the Iceman.

Sometimes, a footballer in the PL does something beautiful on the pitch; and whether it is an Arsenal player or not, often the commentators refer to this with the term ‘bergkampesque’. I am hopeful that one day the word ‘bergkampesque’ will end up in all English dictionaries as the definition for an act of pure beauty by an individual footballer. Dennis would totally deserve this for what he has done for football in England and the rest of the world.

It has been almost two months now since ‘Bergkampesque’ was launched, and I would like to add a separate page to the site with tributes by fellow Gooners, and possibly supporters of other teams – including supporter of Dennis’ previous teams Ajax and Milan, if they would wish to do so.

I would like to ask you to leave a comment on Bergkampesque with regards to what Dennis meant to you, and what your best personal memories are of DB10.

All comments will eventually be placed on a separate page, and over the years, I hope many more comments will be added.

Many thanks in advance,

Total Arsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to What did Dennis Bergkamp mean to you? Leave a tribute

1. glic says:

Total
    I am already ahead of the game, it was only this morning when I looked in the mirror and said, ” that is Bergkampesque ” !
    Later on, Mrs glic was moaning and groaning and shouted, ” That was Bergkampesque “!……………………Trouble is, I had come home early and heard this coming from upstairs !.

Glic, what can I say? You clearly are the embodiment of genius and beauty. The man. 🙂

3. Ian Maddox says:

Genius , what a player made hard things look so simple. Never forget you Dennis a pleasure to have watched you play.

4. glic says:

You might not be saying that after you have watched my video !. hahaha
    Arsenal U21`s won 2-1 at Bolton
    Cloak and fang`s time, it`s, The Vampire Diaries !.

Total….by far my favourite moment from God Bergkamp was the goal he scored against Newcastle. Possibly the finest goal ever.

6. Herb'sArmy says:

Simply the greatest player ever to wear the hallowed red shirt of The Arsenal. I’m disappointed that he hasn’t been honoured and immortalised in the same way that Tony Adams and Thierry Henry have.
    I’m not sure whether Mr Wenger would have been brave enough to have bought a player of Dennis Bergkamp’s quality, and yet he was the essential link that ensured Mr Wenger’s football philosophy worked with machine-like precision. Bergkamp epitomises what Tomas Rosicky could and should have been with the right attitude and application.
    When Dennis Bergkamp retired, Arsenal lost so much more than a legendary foofballer, and it is something the manager has found impossible to replace. I hope that we see him back at Arsenal in some capacity in the future, he is a winner and the perfect role-model for anyone who aspires to represent Arsenal Football Club.

Hi Ian, thanks for your comment, and I fully agree with your description. 🙂

Hi VCC, fully agreed – a very special goal, totally defying the normal laws of football physics! 🙂

Glic, I will watch your vid in a bit. When did you post it again?

And make sure you leave a proper tribute to Dennis! 😕

Evening Herb, thanks for a fantastic contribution. 🙂

Herb, I reckon Rosicky has the right attitude, but is not as talented and also lacks the physical health compared to DB10. Agreed on the statue/immortalisation.

Welcome back Herb. Don’t stay away so long this time.

11. glic says:

Total
    It was posted @ 10/29/2012 20:09
    Welcome back Herb 🙂
    nite all.

Just watched it Glic! An audio-visual masterpiece – strong language 😆

13. oz gunner says:

A legend of the game that could pull off the impossible. The best player I’ve ever seen in action and that will probably never change! Words could never do him justice.
    He was Arsenal through and through and a fantastic leader. I’m still working on the clone!

14. Neamman says:

Bergkamp was fantastic. In 50 years of watching Arsenal I cannot remember anyone of his calibre or even approaching it. He brought a level of football skill you these days expect to see only at Real Madrid or Barcelona. We were lucky he had been in Italy and not done well, perhaps thats why he was happy to stay with us.

Cheers Neamman 🙂

Arsenal and DB were made for each other. At that time, Italy and Spain were regarded as the countries to go to if you were an aspiring, talented Dutch footballer. Italy’s defensive minded club football would have slowly killed the genius of DB and he did well to escape it. Luckily he chose Arsenal and the rest is history.

Thanks for the fine video Oz 🙂

I have added it to the ‘About Bergkampesque’ page – where GLIC already posted a DB10 video previously.

16. Herb'sArmy says:

Thanks VCC and GliC.
    To be honest VCC, after the way I was treated on you know where (which ‘blog etiquette’ prevents me from talking about), I think I’m better keeping my opinions to myself, that way no-one gets offended.

Thanks Oz.

Of to bed now – tomorrow will undoubtedly be a big blogging day. Let’s hope it will go our way.

Night Herb, Oz and anybody else who is reading/commenting.

For me Dennis Bergkamp is everything..
    I will never becomes Gunners if not because of him..

I am a big fans of Holland / Dutch team..
    Start with trio Gullit – Van Basten – Rijjkard in Milan..
    For the very first time Holland win European Cup (Euro..) in 1988..
    And they also I love Milan with their ‘dream team’

But as time goes by.. Bergkamp coming to replace Van Basten in Holland team..
    And I am a very big fans of Dennis Bergkamp.. And of course Arsenal when DB move in..
    And guest what..?? DB coming to Arsenal one year before Wenger did.. (cmiiw..)
    Arsenal have a very funtastic games with Bergkamp..
    We won a lot of trophy in that era..
    Bergkamp spend his 11 years in Arsenal.. and ritered as Arsenal legend..
    Many striker come and go.. like Anelka, Overmars, Petit, Pires and even Henry..
    But Bergkamp remain royal to Arsenal..
    For Henry.. maybe the ritered of DB make him desperated and move to Barca..

For me Bergkamp is the real Arsenal legend.. more than Henry..
    And I agree with Herb that we didn’t honoured him good enough..
    maybe someday Arsenal should make the same ‘statue’ like Henry and Adam got..

Go Gunners..

19. oz gunner says:

The chipped goals just aren’t fair! It’s not supposed to be that easy, but that’s exactly what he did…he made the game look so easy

20. Elliot Vaughan says:

Simply Arsenal FC greatest player, we called him god because in a football sense, he was and is GOD.

Hi Henrychan – thanks for a fine contribution! 🙂

Hi Oz – yes, making the game look so easy was one of his major qualities. I also love his hockey-stick goals, when he shapes his body in such a way that he can just scoop the ball in the goalkeeper’s left top-corner. They know what is coming but will just not be able to reach his ‘scoop’.

Morning Elliot,

That’s it in a nutshell! 🙂

Are you going to the Schalke game or are you arm-chairing tonight?

23. Red Arse says:

Morning TA, 🙂

Great Post about a fantastic footballer!

Morning Redders and cheers 🙂

Big day today. Upwards and onwards, or deeper down the valley?! 😕

25. Red Arse says:

Once in an era a man with a special talent graces the football pitches of the world.

Dennis Bergkamp was such a man.

With his sublime silky skills, mercurial charisma, determination and self discipline he burst like a mega star onto the Arsenal firmament, and in doing so, blasted his way into our lives and the club’s heritage in a way that will live in our memories forever.

A privilege and a delight to have witnessed such an incandescent talent!

All hail Dennis!

26. Red Arse says:

I back us to pull one out of the bag and shock the doubters! 🙂

A very fine tribute Redders 🙂

I don’t know what to think any more RA, but I hope you are right! 🙂

Morning all.

Herb 00:19 …..it would be a boring old world if we all agreed. I for one enjoy reading your views, as I do most bloggers , talking about the love of my life.

We all fall foul from negative responses from time to time, even that mild mannered chap GLiC (lol).

If you refrain from posting then the minority win. There are plenty out there that enjoy debating with like/opposite minded people, so please keep the faith and enjoy this site, as it’s a fresh and enjoyable pastime.

Hablo pronto Herb.

COYG

Every time i think of Bergkamp i get the notion of spatial awareness, passes that would be the envy of Pythagoras, and Redders favourite, multi dimensions and gravity

He seemed to be able to combine the laws of physics and maths to a football pitch.

First of all he was the King of finding space. Once found and he had the ball to feet, he then seemed to possess a panaromic view of what was around him. (did the man seceretly have eyes in the back of his head?) And finaly we would have the execution. Wether it was slide rule passes or sublime finishes he had the techique and foresight to pull it off

Quite simply he was on another planet.

P.s He was also on the Norwood 3 scale for recceeding hairlines, and let me tell you, no one pulls off a receeding hairline quite like Dennis Bergkamp, simply genius. hahahaha.

Top stuff Terry – very well put! 🙂

New Post – New Post! 🙂

Of course, anyone who still wants to leave a tribute can still do so!