Little Jack the real leader, Theo and Giroud not gelling yet, why no Rosicky?

Jack-Wilshere_20121001184001453_660_320

Having watched the second half again last night, I felt a lot more positive about the whole game than I did when I watched the game for the first time. In the first half, Arsenal tried as hard as in the second half, but the belief was not there and our football looked a bit ‘theoretical’ as a result. We pressed them in numbers and tried to find openings, but the midfield and our attack looked like separate sub-teams.

This all changed in the second half, when we took the game once again to Swansea with plenty of energy, focus and with more invention. Swansea scored their goal against the run of play, and our defence should have done better in avoiding the chance happening in the first place and dealing with it as well.

We did not give up though and kept pushing for the equaliser, driven on by the real leader in this team: little Jackie Wilshere. Our goals came in quick succession by substitute Podolski and the other ‘driver’ yesterday: Kieran Gibbs. Podolski showed his predatory instinct with a fine turn and ferocious shot into the corner of the goal which left Vorm shapeless, and Gibbs’ goal was a Bergkampesque beauty; converting a fine ball over the top by Giroud with venom and precision in the roof of the net.

Before the goals, Arsenal had been close to scoring on several occasions but we lacked  quality in our finishing: Giroud, Theo, Cazorla and Podolski all missed decent to great chances.

Why no Rosicky yesterday?

Cazorla is one of our best footballers, and I would always play him as long as he is fit. But Arsene has given him the responsibility to shape our attacks and direct our play, and I feel he is struggling in this department recently. He is no Fabregas that is for sure, and I reckon it is Wilshere who is mainly directing our football at the moment with his drive, overview and passing ability.

I am wondering more and more whether Cazorla should play on the wings, at least for a few games, and give Rosicky a chance to play in his position. I reckon we would get a far better shape to the team and become more inventive and effective as a result. But Arsene did once again not even use him as a substitute, and I am starting to wonder whether Rosicky is in line for being sold during this TW. Given the Czechs’ fitness problems I would not be too sad about that, as long as he is replaced. However, I think we are missing a trick or two at the moment, and Rosicky could really lift this team with his drive and ability.

Theo and Giroud not gelling yet

With Ramsey on the left, and Theo playing a lot closer to Giroud than usual, we did not have proper wingers yesterday. A lot of wing-play came from the wing-backs, and especially Gibbs did really well yesterday (if only he could learn to cross!). It was also good to see Sagna back with confidence and drive and I hope he will improve further against Man City. The cross of the game came from the much maligned Ramsey, who worked hard to get himself a bit of space and time to cross all the way from the corner flag onto Giroud forehead at a perfect height. But Giroud is once again trying too hard to convince his (few) doubters that he really is a good striker, which seems to affect his finishing.

Ollie works so hard for the team and tries to help as much as he can, but it is clear he is one of these players who needs to play regularly to be at his best. Theo also struggled to have a real impact on the game, as Swansea did not allow him, and the rest of the team, a lot of space during most of the game.

It was also clear that Giroud and Walcott have some way to go to become a strong partnership, but I do feel we need to keep playing them together for a while (maybe with Rosicky and Cazorla, or Ox and Pod, on the wings in a 4-4-2).

Second half offers hope of better times to come.

This season we seem to be a second half team. We play a lot better after the break which indicates to me that as a team we are not gelling enough on the pitch, and Wenger and Bould need to do a lot of work at half time to get the players to perform better both tactically and personally. It does seem to work, though, but we need to get the same level of performance for 90 minutes, if we are to beat the Northern and Southern Oilers in our next PL fixtures this month.

The second half performance offers hope of progress in terms of drive and spirit. But our defending needs to improve significantly, and Mertesacker will play a key role in this. He did not have a good game yesterday, but just like Giroud he is one of those players who need to play regularly to be at his best. We need his organisational skills and reading of the game to give us back shape and unity in our defence. Let’s hope he is back to his best again next weekend.

Written by: Total Arsenal.

153 Responses to Little Jack the real leader, Theo and Giroud not gelling yet, why no Rosicky?

RA wrote in previous post:

“A notion I would put forward to try and explain the doldrums the team are in is ……. pace!

I have been thinking about it, and if you look at some subjective appraisals of players, you could say Sagna, Ramsey, Cazorla, Arteta, and Giroud are NOT speedy.

In fact, the only player we have with real pace is Theo, but he so rarely uses it. The other one is Gerv, but I do not think it helps to talk about the corkscew man who usually disappears up his own jaxi! Sorry, TA

Pace! That is what is not quite right!”

Pace is wonderful stuff Redders. In the first half, when Swansea sat back so much, we missed mainly space and invention, but more pace could have been helpful as well. We have pace in Gibbs, Sagna and Theo, and Ox if he plays. Diaby can also add pace but then he is seldom or never fit. A fine winger with pace would be a welcome addition this TW. 🙂

Morning Redders and Herb 🙂

3. Red Arse says:

Before the “new post” cutoff, Herb posted this in response to my thoughts about pace;

Morning All.
    Wow, we’re still in the Cup, so that’s a positive, and a sort of decent tie awaiting in the next round providing we can finish the job off in the replay.

It’s strange Redders when you think back to Mr Wenger’s sides prior to The Emirates, it was all about incisive counter-attacking football with speed and accuracy, why that strategy has been abandoned is a mystery, especially as it yielded so much success.

Hi Herb, 🙂

I do not suppose, AW intended to move away from pace and incisive counter-attacking football.

When we play well, especially when the Ox is given the OK to burst forward, and Jack or Santi make beautiful defense splitting passes, we can still look good. The problem then is that the moves can end up being unproductive because of a blunt edged attack.

No. I think it is an unintended consequence of recruiting small, technically gifted players who are not necessarily pacey.

In addition, I have said that in my opinion, Rambo has lost a yard of pace, and this applies to Sagna too, who has been really dreadful in the last 4 games, as well as being slow, and no one can seriously accuse Per of being quick, so the edge we had against other teams, in the pace department, has gone.

4. Ayotune Giwa says:

I also feel Wenger goes back to the 4-4-2 formation or work more on our back line

5. Red Arse says:

I should also have added that observing pace on a football pitch is, of course, subjective.

In a flat 100 metres race, it is easy to see the fastest runner because they finish first. On a pitch, someone with fantastic pace, like Theo, tends to stop and cut back the ball, or run into people, or, quite properly, pass to someone in a better position, so his pace is not always seen.

The reason for my deliberations about this matter are simply because I do not understand the slow, almost lethargic passing and moving during our games this season.

The other cause might well be undue caution in passing for fear of losing the ball.

Let’s face it, we have often seen our tippy, tappy passing break down, and the opposition breaking away speedily, and there is little chance of catching them with Arteta plodding around, Per having difficulty turning, and Sagna and Gibbs up supporting our attack. If the Verm, who has admitted he is not playing well, or Kosser don’t intercept we are buggered — just look at the Michu goals yesterday and previously.

All that, and it is just Monday morning!! 🙂

6. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi Total.
    Maybe Mr Wenger could push Gibbs further forward in the left-wing role and bring in a more orthodox defensive-minded left-back, but then there’s the Podolski conundrum.
    If Mr Wenger insists on sticking to this formation we definitely need a dominating presence at DM, because as neat and tidy as Arteta is, he just can’t do it.
    Interesting that Mr Wenger wanted Vertonghen to be his new ‘Petit’, I wonder if he was considering going back to the formation of 1998-2000. The second half of 1997-98 season was brilliant, especially Overmars scoring the only goal at OT.
    If Mr Wenger could somehow re-create a new-improved version of that, I’d be a happy man.

7. Kanyi Gitonga says:

The problem for me is tactical discipline. Too many players are not sticking to their positions leaving gaps all over the shop. Sagna was left to patrol the entire right flank on his own yesterday and off late because Theo wants to play as a CF neglecting his wide right responsibilities. Ramsey does the same thing when playing wide left. The difference when Podolski came on was clear. The left flank worked a lot better.
    Defensively, the gap between the back 4 and the midfield is too wide inviting teams to press high up forcing errors.
    I think we players were tactically more disciplined and AW went for a more conventional 4-3-3 which can easily be 3-4-3 on attack Arsenal would be more effective. Alternatively shift back to a 4-4-2 system that allows for more rotation of current squad members. The 4-2-1-3 system currently in use leaves to big a gap on the flanks for the full backs to deal with.
    A change of formation may be all that is needed.

8. clockendjim says:

Well Arsenal managed to snatch defeat (or really a draw) from the jaws of victory yet again. Can you imagine Adams, Bold, Winterburn etc being 2-1 up with 5 minutes to go, giving the opposition any chance to get back into the game.
    All the transfer talk around Arsenal seems to feature attacking players and certainly we need a goalscorer to round off all the good approach work. But what we really need is the defence bolstering. I have not been impressed with Mertesacker, Koscielny or Vermaalen this season and Sagna is now playing like his mind is at another club. All successful teams are based around a firm defence and until this is addressed we are going to win nothing.

9. Red Arse says:

Sorry, TA, I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed your Post this morning, too. 😀

It is full of good sensible views and observations about what works and what needs to be worked on! Well done, sir, another really well thought out and written article!! 🙂

It is the nature of Post writing, that 0.5% of it catches the idea because it refers to a matter the reader disagrees with, and this is no different.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that must also be true of each fan’s appraisal of a particular player. It puzzles me that I sometimes read Posts and comments from people I hold in high regard who just happen to have totally different views about them from my own. Why can two, or more, like minded people, without an axe to grind, see things so differently?

One can simply gloss over the differing opinions, so as not to offend, or to be candidly truthful and say what you think, not to be difficult, but to be honest.
    Good friendships can and should be able to take the strains and stresses of these various subjective opinions, otherwise they were not friendships in the first place.

I hope my friendships with all the guys on here will survive, and that where we differ, it is just seeing beauty in different ways!! 😀

Hi RA, no problems at all. Everything is subjective except the scoreline 🙂

I love pace in a team, but it is not always a necessity. Look at Barca, they also have the only speed coming from the wing-backs.

Hi Herb, Vertonghen has settled well at the Spuds hasn’t he? Good point about Gibbs: do you think he could ever learn to cross properly?

Wenger is desperately trying all sorts of combinations of players and I do not think he has settled on any formation right now. Like you I would not mind a new Petit in the team, especially if it frees up Jack to dominate our game more.

Hi Kanyi 🙂

Fine comment and all agreed. Given your observations re lack of support, the full back played really well yesterday.

Playing both Theo and Giroud might well mean no other choice than playing 4-4-2!

Hi C-Jim 🙂

All agreed. It will only be a matter of time and even the Mancs will be punished for slack defending. We scored two in an away game; that should be enough to win the game. We just cannot get the balance right at defence. Mertesacker and Koscielny is in my view the best pairing, but they looked poor yesterday. Hopefully they can gel again and become more solid….

Who would you like Arsenal to get in defence?

13. marcus says:

I think i can explain Olivier Giroud. He is one of the most under rated players in the premier league. This is because he has jack wilshere’s type of heart. No one can criticize his work rate as he always gives 1000percent when called upon. I think he needs an extended run in the team, and this is why; This start stop run he has in the team doesn’t help things because Giroud is always eager to impress therefore when he is brought on he seems to rush is decisions. This explains his missed chances. An extended run would give him the composure he needs to find the net regularly. Secondly, we need to exploit his aerial ability. We have 3 proper crossers of the ball (Theo, cazorla and rosicky) and all of them play centrally and as a result Giroud suffers. He gets very few decent crosses and with his tally of headed goals this term, it is an area we MUST exploit. Wenger must either buy wide men who can cross (baines) or train gibbs, sagna, poldi and chamberlain (gervinho is a lost cause) on how to hit accurate service.

14. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Moaning all, how are we? 🙂

Hi Total, great write up mate. Just like you i watched the game again. In fact i have watched it a few times, i have also constantly replayed Ramseys call for a penalty.
    At first watching it live, i was up in arms, ready to throw anything i could find at Howard Webbs mug on the screen..but after numerous replays i found myself with my tail in between my legs and half embarrassed, even though i was watching the game all by my lonesome.
    Anyhoo, i woke up this morning with a half arsed attitude towards life, the way i usually feel when it doesnt go our way and did a bit of reading..Arsenal stuff of course 😉
    The first thing that caught my eye was Wenger defending the call for the penalty.
    WHAAAT? ‘Surely he has lost his marbles now’ i thought. I usually admire Wengers defence of his players and the team, but this time i could only laugh at what i thought was ‘pure dellusion’ by the great man. And so i laughed, and kept laughing until it pissed me off that much that i had to watch it again.

This time in super super slow mo! 🙂

Was there contact? Yes

The sole of Ramseys boot gets brushed by the defenders knee, ever so slightly and in turn causes Ramsey to trip over himself (ala swervinho 😉 ). At the very least, it was worthy of an indirect free kick and Arsene is not at all deluded 🙂

Back to the game. I agree, Jack is a warrior and im glad he is on our side. I also believe that, after watching the game again, we were not as bad as some may have us feel. But we must accept that we are nowhere near as good as your average Wenger teams. I live in hope, and pray that Arsene plucks out the ingredients that are currently missing……Yes we need a ‘beast DM’ and i agree with Redders, we lack pace all over. Something that was a pre-requisite to play for Wenger- speed of thought, speed of passing, speed of body.

Anyway, thanks for post(s)- quality as usual, and i believe we will find our way in the coming weeks. 🙂

Hi and Welcome Marcus 🙂

All agreed re Giroud. I would play him all the time too. The longer he plays the more natural he will become and he will always give his all. I would like him to become better at playing with his back to the goal, especially in terms of keep hold of the ball for one or two seconds so the rest can move closer to him/the opposition’s box. Also agreed on crossing – I despair when I see what sort of rubbish balls we put into the box at times.

Hi PPP

Hope you are still enjoying the hot summer over there! 🙂

Thanks for explaining the Ramsey pen call. I thought it was weird to see Ramsey so angry for not getting it, but it would be harsh to blame Howard Webb United for not spotting it. I am impressed you watched the game more than once again, and I think if it was not for the bad defending towards the end we all would have felt really good about the game. But you are right there were some positives in this game, and we have a good chance now to go through.

17. marcus says:

Thank you TA.

And you the the most ironic and depressing thing is that if Theo (when playing with Giroud) could stick to the wing and curb his desire to move inwards, their partnership could be unstoppable. However judging on yesterday’s performance, it is clear that Theo is beginning to believe that he is the talisman arsenal have lacked since RVP’s departure and can play where he wants.

18. marcus says:

And on a totally unrelated note, i think cazorla and arteta are in dire need of a breather. With cazorla, we have rosicky as an able deputy. With arteta however, we need to bring in a proper defensive midfielder. And soon (like by the end of the week soon).

Fine post Total. You got it spot on again, but we have come to expect this from your good self.

Monday morning is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I’m still breathing and Arsenal have still got a chance of some silverware this season.

RedArse (as usual) has it right, our pace has dwindled, consequently when we are eventually within striking distance the oppositions defence have regrouped, then as always we struggle to break down the parked bus.

Gibbs unlocked the door marvellously with that one two with Giroud, perhaps we can work on this more in training?

PPP, I, and many others, stand corrected if that is the case about Ramsey having his ankle tapped. We all laughed and thought he would get a booking for tripping over his own feet.

Here’s to the week end.

Marcus, agreed. Theo could have a free role where Giroud is our pivot in attack, but theo must want to serve Giroud as well on ocassion. A partnership like that needs time to develop though.

Where are you based Marcus?

Marcus/Total…..Your right. Giroud should be given a run in the side. Coming on in fits and starts is making him too eager to please. He needs to feel wanted so he can relax. He needs to have a bit of the Malcolm McDonald attitude. I can remember an interview he gave when playing for Arsenal. “I don’t care if I shoot ten times and hit the corner flag 9 times, but one WILL go in”

I think we would benefit playing a 4-4-2 formation and rotate players a little more to keep them refreshed and keen.

Hi VCC 🙂

Gibbs goal was a beauty and should have been the winner. It was so disappointing we gave three chances away after that in the last 10 minutes – unforgiveable really. But I have hope Mertesacker will get stronger again and will sort the defence out for us.

Another big test this weekend

23. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi VCC,

Dont worry you were not the only one laughing. But just like Total i was wondering why he was so agitated for not getting the call, then after Wenger stated he saw it as a penalty i had to see it again and again.
    It’s not that he got ankle tapped, the way he was running, his trailing leg (sole of his boot) brushed underneath the defenders knee as they were running almost in unison and 1 or 2 steps forward and it caused Ramsey to trip over himself. Many will disagree, even after watching their own replays, but like i said i have ‘super super slow mo’.
    Just for the record, i am in the camp that believes there was also contact on Eduardo in that famous incident regardless of whether he was looking for the foul or not. heheheheheheheheh

Anyway VCC, good to hear your still breathing and that we are still in with a shout for silverware, but it doesnt change the fact that your still an ugly muvver 😆

24. marcus says:

I’ve seen flashes of their potential (at home to fulham and newcastle more recently) and i’m betting arsene has too. It is up to him to tie down Theo to a new contract and then work on this. I’m based in Kenya.

25. marcus says:

Hi VCC,
    A consistent run of games will make him more intuitive and allow him to make better decisions in front of goal. Also, another major asset he will acquire is speed of thought (and consequently, play). I happen to believe Giroud is a very intelligent player and with a proper run in the side can be playing like he did against Newcastle week in week out.

VCC, McDonald sounds like a great character. It is a real pity I never saw him play (other than on old videos).

I am afraid that as long as Arsene has not decided how, and who, he is going to play, all players – including Giroud – will be moved around. Let’s hope Arsene gets us a DM and a winger at least this January, makes up his mind re the formation and style of footie, and gets the results we need to make progress. It could all fall into place in January and February or go horribly wrong…..

PPP……I may be Ugly, Fat, Bald and senile, but I,m still alive on a Monday morning. My old shift guys would say its a result I made it through another week end… 🙂

Marcus… I hope you are right about Giroud’s intelligence. Can I come and stay on your farm for a week and have a sneaky look at your wildlife 😉

28. Akinwumi says:

Mertsacker was so poor ystday.

Marcus a gooner based in Africa is very welcome here! We have regulars here from North-America, Europe, Asia and Australia, and it would be great to have somebody commenting regular from your continent! 🙂

Do you meet up with fellow Kenyan Gooners, or are supporting our boys in (necessary) isolation?

Total….my fear, if Walcott signs, and Diaby gets fit, Wenger will say hey this is our DM and ST.

31. marcus says:

Hehehehehe VCC, your are welcome.

Total……….”we have regulars from North-Africa, Europe ,Asia and Australia” ..you left out and Launcestown mental institution (GLiC)

Hi Akinwumi

Yes he was poor. We know about his weakness regarding pace and yesterday it was exposed once more. However, he makes up for it during a season with his defensive interventions and organising our defence. The more he plays the better he gets though, so let’s hope he is fully focussed and fit against MC.

34. marcus says:

TA, there are plenty of gooners here..In fact millions of gooners. You can count on my regular feedback.

VCC 🙂

Yes that takes diversity to an entirely different level hahaha 🙂

Diaby getting fit means nothing anymore, and I hope Arsene sees that too! 😦

Marcus that amazes me. It is a shame we do not have a very good African player at the moment – Gervinho has gone down in admiration a lot recently, and with Song gone, Arsenal is lacking something. Are there any good Kenyans about at the moment Arsene should sign up?

37. marcus says:

TA and Vcc, by now you should realize that despite the fact that we know diaby will be fit for 5 minutes tops, wenger will use his return as a reason not to bring in another DM. Then our season descends into inevitable despair with wenger hiding behind his usual excuses which I must say are beginning to piss me off seriously.

Total…..Malcolm Macdonald was a success with Arsenal. Not the most blessed with skills but he sure knew how to score goals.

Arsenal career……1976-1979…..Played 84 games …scored 42 goals…….pretty impressive.

You can catch him on a Scandinavian cruise this June. He is a speaker on that trip from Southampton to …..Amsterdam…Flaam….Stavanger….Oslo…..Southampton.

If GLiC comes up with the lottery he promised to take all us regulars with him. 🙂

39. marcus says:

TA, victor wanyama would answer our DM problems swiftly. I think it is even you who touted him as one who should be on our radar.

Marcus 11:28. The thoughts that plenty of my Arsenal pals have, im afraid.

41. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Ahhh, Launcestown…what time is he due to escape today?

Total, we also have a big boy from the U S of A even though he resides in England

VCC – you like a cruise don’t you? I can see you really enjoying yourself, with all the entertainment, beer, wine and cognac, fine company and dancing the gangnam style… 😛

At my boyhood team, Roda, we had a great classical striker called Dick Nanninga in the seventees/eighties (he scored the late equaliser for Holland in the WC final against Argetina in 1978). Roda also had classical wingers who were fast and could cross and they all three were a joy to watch back then. McDonald sounds like a guy who was strong in the air as well as in possession of a fierce shot; am I right?

Marcus, Wanyama has indeed been mentioned on the blog but I reckon it was The Gooner (TG) who wrote about him. I have not seen enough of him to be sure, but he seems a good prospect.

So, you reckon he would fit the bill?

PPP 🙂 RA cannot be catagorised! 😛

Total……M.Mac…….was good in the air but his power was his ferocious shot. He had a never say die attitude. Doubtful if he would appear in all time greats list but highly successful for us at the time.

45. marcus says:

completely. He is a beast of a man physically whose passing ability is arsenal-esque and has an eye for goal (especially in the air). He can also play central defense and at RB. best of all, he is 21 years old. I know him personally and even though he’s an avid man utd fan, he wouldn’t mind playing for arsenal at all (his words). Right now he’s celtics midfield marshall an neil lennon is fighting tooth and nail to keep him. He scored and inspired celtic to a shock win against barca this season so his credentials are solid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2KJWzV8T5Q
    watch how he tames inter milan in this link.

Marcus…..send him an email and tell him to hot foot it to the Emirates and sign up…Please.

Total 11:42…my cruising days are over I’m afraid to say.

Further on M.Mac…He played in an Arsenal side when Liverpool were all dominant. We were 8th in 1976….QPR were 14th…..Spurs 22nd (lmfao)…and that year we got knocked out of the league cup in the QF by no other than………..QPR.

48. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Marcus and VCC.
    NO THANKS. i for one do not want and i mean EVER want a player who supports the manure scum playing for us. How long before Wenger and his team turn him into a world beater only for that player to start talking about some bullshit d.n.a ? It could happen, so i would rather not take the chance.

Mvilla is odds on to join in my book. His price at 25mil was too steep for Arsenal last summer, but Wenger knows a bargain when he sees one. France international, not cup tied, and on the cover of FIFA (you need talent to make it as poster boy for the worlds most popular selling game. Ask our Jack) He is an absolute steal at 7mil and Arsene knows it. Plus i dont buy all the trash talk about his behaviour, in fact i would welcome his tenacity and hunger. Mvilla to Arsenal- “watch this space”

49. marcus says:

VCC,
    i already have but as you know, arsene decides who he brings in and who he doesn’t. He could be a fantastic understudy to arteta eventually replacing him in the team..

Marcus, you know him personally; that is fantastic! 🙂

I watched the Barca – Celtic summary at the time and yes he looked great back then. I am starting to like the sound of him – except for supporting the rotten Mancs.

Out for a bit guys, catch you later.

PPP – Mvilla has Birmingham DNA 😛

Right you orrible lot. The UMF League starts up again this week.

All except the leader, must pull their socks up. Or you will be made to watch a Spuds game for the full duration of 90 minutes sitting next to GLiC. That’s not a comfortable thing to be doing as he is smelly.

We Brits cannot have an Americaaaaan showing us the way with our beloved game. After all we invented it. 🙂

52. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Total 😀 i’ll give you that

53. oz gunner says:

Ahoy hoy one and all.

Great post as usual TA, I’m really coming around to the idea of santi playing on the wing and Rosicky playing AM. It feels like a bit of deja vu’ to be honest. Last season I feel the catalyst to our resurgence was non other than Rosicky. I think he could do it again. List RA has said, we are slow! Rosicky is as direct as they come and is always looking to attack, it’s a joy to watch (if only he was looking for a new contract haha. come to think of it why didn’t we slap on a pay as your play stipulation?)

Some top quality comments today guys, love reading them as always.
    Well spotted RA on the arteta blouse move last night! I watched the second half again and noticed it. Body on the line guys…come on!!!

Still spewing we didn’t sign vertonghen.

sign anyone yet? …Frick
    Theo signed da ting? …Frick Frick

Hi OZ……Just about managed a replay yesterday. I think we should venture into the next round, and with it being Brighton (don’t want to count my chickens~) we have more than half a chance to progress further.

Wenger needs to start resting a couple of players. Notably Arteta and Cazorla. MAybe even give Jenkinson a run of 5/6 games

55. oz gunner says:

Welcome Marcus, glad to have you on board. You’ve written some great comments today.
    victor wanyama is definitely on my wish list also. I was hoping we’d sign him in the summer TW because I knew he would only rise in stock as the season progressed. He monstered Barca in that game (i watched it just to see how he’d go). I heard Manure were/are keen on him so I hope they still with fletcher and cleverly because we could really use him at the moment!!!

Keep chipping away in his ear.

56. oz gunner says:

Howdy VCC. Couldn’t agree more, sagna is no spring chicken anymore! He can’t play as much, Jenks needs more time…problem solved! It would prolong Sagna’s career with us so it makes logical sense, we could see the passing of the torch soon enough, i see Sagna going down Lauren’s route.

In my eyes we’ve already won it VCC…and the CL. Terry told me so!!!

@ TA

whilst getting belted up in fifa by kids all over the globe i’ve come to the realisation that i really like the 3-5-2 formation. Or move of a 3-2-2-1-2. The two central midfielders can push back creating a 5 man defense, two speedsters on the wings, an AM, and two strikers. I’ll call Arsene now and let him know!
    Although without a pressuring team and great work rate it might be canned straight away!

Nite all!!

HI Oz, some fine, energetic comments from you and PPP today. You can tell who is enjoying the full sunshine at the moment, where we have to do with 9 hour day light and no sun to warm our souls. 🙂

Fine post TA

Have to be quick.

There is nothing wrong. We just need some time to gel, and when we do the rest of the league better watch out. I cant wait to start we clicking, we will smash everyone out of sight. I have been realy encouraged by some of our football. There were spells against Newcastle and Swansea were we could have scored 20 goals.

Vics, dont be so hard on yourself mate. When we met i did not find you senile at all. hahaha

hahaha Terry – If you have to have a mental condition, uber-optimism is the most acceptable of all. 😀

This weekend’s PL fixtures:

Everton draw
    Norwich draw
    Reading draw
    Stoke draw
    Liverpool draw

Thanks Total 🙂

Terry…you couldn’t have seen that bloke standing behind me with a white coat. That was my minder…. 😉

Total is obviously going for the big score this week. If all his predictions are correct he will pick up a blistering 15 points.

Total’s odds are 470-1

65. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

VCC, thats why that smart bugger called for the change. He has set up a honey trap. The temptation of 15 points on offer. Remember what you said Vickers, that a 5-1 winner is better than a 15-1 loser. True? That Redders is smarter than the a-v-erage bear (yogi voice) 🙂

VCC…selections
    QPR v Spurs…………..draw
    Everton v Swans……..home
    Norwich v New………..draw
    Reading v WBA……….draw
    Arsena v MC……………home

Odds = 136-1

PPP…I know……..RA is a devil in disguise. I’m sure he works for the Telegraph as a football pundit, he sure is smarter than the average bear.

Don’t forget PPP, you little cheater …oopppss sorry I mean you late comer, you have six selections this week.

I’m firmly in the 5-1 winner is better than the 1000-1 loser camp, everyday.

Never fear Princey Baby. I have a plan to usurp Brainiac Redders from the top which involves mind games and playing on his obvious weakness of been to nice.

First of all ime very dissapointed that he constanly goes for Tottenham wins and leaves Arsenal out of his predcictions. I fully expect him to go for victories for the Mighty Arse against City and Chelsea.

Also, this UMF league means a lot to me. I have had a very troubled time recently and one of the only things that has kept me going is the feint hope that i can somehow restore a smidgeon of self respect by doing well in the UMF. If i could win it, maybe the Mrs will realise ime not such a loser after all and become attracted to me again, but sadly my mediocre lower mid table performance is not turning her on.

I can only sit and pray that the Gods shine on me and give me some decent results on the weekend and that those near the top dont do as well. Oh well, its very sad, but we live in hope.

69. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

😆 ahh accountants=comedians

I suppose its 5-0 to the Arse on the weekend Mr merry

Course it is Princey. Ime going to go for it anyway. If only everyone could do the same. It might give the team some kind of strange energy boost if we all go for it. hahahaha

71. Red Arse says:

You lot are potty!!! 😀 😀

I suggested the change in scoring because I like you Prince. 🙂

Everyone in the first 3 months (Sept/October/Nov) could only score a maximum of 5 points per week, but not when the poxy Internationals were messing up the schedules.

Now you are getting an extra go and could potentially score 18 points every week for 5 and a half months. (Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May)

(Don’t tell VCC — he will be livid!). 😛

72. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Anyway kids, im off for a dive very shortly. They reckon its gonna hit 43 degrees today in Sydney so id like to get in the water and catch my crustaceans before the sun gets a chance to wink at me. 3am now, leave in half hr, drive 1 hr, wetsuit on at 4.30am, and in the water by 5am.. You know when i first started diving i thought i would save heaps on not having to spend on Lobster and crabs etc But this hobby costs me more than going to the fish monger every Friday. The things we do for love. Anyway, have a wonderfull evening all. (i can picture you all with your hot cocoa, in front of a heater, checking out the transfer gossip. Here i am sweating, just trying to put a wetsuit on.

byeeeee

73. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

and just as all the fun arrives im off. Bugger

74. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

I like the system Redders. It works well 😉

When i finally make the trip to England i would like to do some spear fishing and diving in Cornwall. It looks great from all the Christmas cooking shows i was watching over the holidays. Someone also said its easy to catch crabs there 😆

75. Red Arse says:

Prince,

You can catch crabs just standing next to Glic!! 🙂

76. Red Arse says:

Terry Tiddly One, speaking of Glic, where is the little monster?

You haven’t got him locked up in your cellar have you?

I miss that dash of comedy with my afternoon starbucks!! 🙂

77. glic says:

Afternoon Bearded Clamshells 😆

Fine Post Total

Have we bought anyone yet ?.

So Vicky doesn`t do any cruising no more !. I always thought ” Cruising” was a Shirtlifting pastime !. You probably need to Vagazzle your Zimmer !.

I see our Voyuer Stretch has been on to the council to complain !, he is the first person ever to complain that his neighbours are too quiete and not noisey enough when they are shagging !. hahaha

78. Red Arse says:

Glic, I am becoming suspicious!!

Like Superman and that Clark Kent, you and Terry Titchyone, are never on the blog at the same time!!

Are you/is you one and the same Telescope Man? And I am having a kebab/kebob tonight! VCC told Kebob’s your uncle!! 🙂

79. Red Arse says:

VCC “told me” (he is always leaving words out!! 🙂

Just read that GIE (and his MRS) have just had a little boy!! 😀

Cornwall seems to have done a bunk Redders.. i reckon his East End roots got the better of him and he finaly snapped, robbing the local tea shop. it must have been a very unseemly sight for all those old ladys sipping there earl grey as he stromed in with his water pistol and stocking over boat. They probably offered him a piece of cake.

Hes not like me or you, well spoken debonir types. Hes very cockney, bit like Arthur Mullard. Yes definatly, his desire for a blag has got him in trouble, but at least he got a nice bit of cake and tea. hahaha

81. glic says:

Hahaha Your so close with the observation, I can smell the Hobb Knobs !.

82. Red Arse says:

So, Glic, who is Hobb, and why has he let you sniff his knob?

83. glic says:

I was in South Okendon the other day with my brother, watching a veterans game for the over 60`s. The Old Seniletonians XI Vs Dementia Not Sure`s.
    This old UMF in a half Arsenal, half QPR kit went strolling through the middle with ball attached to his frame looking confused by his ration book, in a matter of minute`s he went past a few Old Senile`s, they all slipped on the crap what was coming out of his overfilled colostomy bag !. I said to my brother, ” Look at that old clunge, who does he think he is ?, Zimmerdine Zimdane ! “. hahahaha

84. Red Arse says:

Glicster,

Couldn’t have been VCC, he was trying to tunnel out of Terry’s cellar at the time — I told you — but you’ve forgotten, again!

85. glic says:

Hi Redders 😆

I tried to put a definition of ” Zimmerdine Zimdane ” on Urban Dictionary, but the editors decided it was a bit too risque !. Which when you look at some of the stuff on there, It`s quite an achievement to be refused !. hahaha
    They were polite in their reply though !. hahaha

86. Red Arse says:

Now that everyone has gone, except you and me, I will let you into a secret — only between you and I, mind.

I found out a list of the fastest players in the Premier League. Surprising read!

1 –- Theo Walcott – 22.72mph — Fastest.
    2 –- Sol Campbell – 22.50mph
    3 –- Mari Balotelli – 22.37mph
    4 – Gareth Bale – 22.37mph
    5 – Ashley Cole – 22.37mph
    6 — Chris Smalling – 22.37mph
    7 – Jack Wilshere – 22.35mph
    8 – Fernando Torres – 22.27mph
    9 — Didier Drogba – 22.27mph
    10 – Andy Carroll – 22.24mph

And nowhere to be seen…
    Cristiano Ronaldo – 20.87mph
    Arjen Robben – 20.44mph
    Wayne Rooney – 20.25mph
    Robin van Persie – 19.94mph [Who He?]

These were times captured on the pitch, and the big fellas with long legs are pretty fast when they are flat out!!

87. Red Arse says:

Glic, 🙂

You are peerless! [that’s a compliment]! 🙂

88. glic says:

That is indeed surprising Redders !. How the earth John Terry is not on that list is beyond me !. A cheater coming out of Mrs Bridge`s bedroom with the sound of the Key going in the front door was timed at 60 mph !. Infact he got flashed by a speed camera in a 30 mph zone !. Only our Terry has bettered that by a none footballer !. hahaha

Tea awaits, laterz Muvvers, but seeing as it`s just you and me Redders, later muvver !. 🙂

Hahaha the nutters have been out in numbers! Brilliant entertainment 😀

90. glic says:

My predictions;

Queer Poof Roggerers

Erectile Dysfunctionals ( That probably makes me from Northampton, unless there`s a Semiampton ! )

The Tea-Baggies

Careless Whisper, WHAM

Thats not real hair !, it`s either a combe over or he`s got a Wig on !.

All to win !.

GLiC……17:04 you funny fu—-. you’ve brought tears to my eyes. That was sooo funny.

GLiC 17:04.. That was at Belhus Park. I didn’t think anyone noticed me!!!!!!! Did you like my go fast stripe?

GLiC……odds 354-1

94. glic says:

354-1, is that all Zimmerdine, I must be losing my touch !.

Zimmerdine Zimdane has got to be my favourite ever invention, Messi, Pele, Maradonna, nothing comes close and I couldn`t have done it without you !. hahaha

GLiC..have you any plans to go to another game this year?

96. glic says:

What, Arsenal or Belhus Park ?

Arsenal you tart.

98. glic says:

hahaha

I`m saving Vic`s, as I`ve said before, it`s getting harder to pick a game which is a home banker !. I was hoping to get an easy home draw in the FA Cup !. 😦
    Is there going to be an Emirates Cup this year ?, as I like going to them, no pressure, no stress, two games for the price of one and get to see some new players and youngsters all in the Summer ( fingers crossed ).

99. glic says:

If we beat Swansea, I`d like to go to the Brighton game, but wouldn`t have the foggiest how to get some tickets !.

OK sunshine. Just thought it would be nice to meet up again for a quickie. Maybe we might extend the gang..

Perhaps if Terry is watching he might be able to grab some tickets for a lower class game.

101. glic says:

If we`ve got CL before the Wigan game in May , I`ll be up !. What`s the odds Vic`s ?.

102. glic says:

I reckon the Wigan game will be on General sale if CL is not possible !. 😦

103. glic says:

I dont know what`s wrong with them Muvvers on Urban Dictionary, they declined my new word of “Colostomesque ( beyond full of shit ) ! ” and so far have only accepted my word of ” Pussyesque ” ………. So Pussyesque of them !. hahaha

RA, are you for real: Jack W seventh fastest man in the PL? What a boy and he is a Gunner!!!

Thanks for the odds VCC – I have a good feeling about my predictions 🙂

Glic: Colostomesque sounds wrong in so many ways. Brimming with excrement is so much more poetic! 🙂

Pussyesque sounds good though: what is the description, Muvver?

106. richie59er says:

@VCC12:24 There’s a chance I’m old but I’m not yet senile, my memory of 1976 is twofold, it was famous for two reasons in my book, it’s was the hottest longest summer in living memory and my team finished in it’s lowest ever position. 17th we were 6pts above relegation. Although it should be remembered there were 22 teams in the old 1st division at the time. I remember it well because we were appalling and from May until August out every night standing in the road outside the pubs, there was nothing to talk about apart from how bad we’d been.

PPP – the description of your diving trip sounds both fantastic and surreal to me. Hope you have a great time.

Btw – I sent you an email today. 🙂

108. glic says:

hahaha Total. If you go on Urban Dictionary, they might except your definition, it sounds better !.
    I could be wrong , but I think muvver means Mother !. hahaha

109. richie59er says:

@VCC Spuds dropped in 77 I remember driving into shreks swampland to celibrate! There used to be a cocktail bar in high rd tiny tottd land almost opposite the SHL ground and I ordered champagne and toasted all who passed by.

Vics & Cornwall

I can get 3 tickets. My brother and mate are also silverados and would give me there memberships for a game of our choice. The added bonus is that you will have the pleasure of sitting with me, which i know will be a treat for both of you.

Check the fixture list and decide when you can both make it and i will sort it. The tickets will be on me and the beers on you.

111. glic says:

Very generous of you Stretch and If we are in the CL by Wigan game, that would be my preference, but 4 tickets would be needed as Vics has a carer !. Otherwise it could be Colostomesque !, hahaha

Richie 20:10…..1976 sure was a scorcher. I remember it well. It was the year 4 mates and I visited the USA. We done the east coast, from New York to Fort Lauderdale. Wicked, wicked holiday. So many lovely memories 😉

your quote….”I’m not yet senile”……that’s not what your mates told GLiC and I when we were drinking your San Miguels by your pool last week!!!!!!

113. glic says:

Total
    Give me a definition of ” Bergkampesque ” and 5 related words eg, class, vision, genius, ice cool, skill etc and an example(s) , ” great goal, Bergkampesque comes to mind ” and I will try and publish it on Urban Dic` !.

Terry.. What a gent you are. That would be great to meet up again in the Tavern for a couple before the match.

GLiC, we would only need three tickets as my carer said she would have a Turkish while the game is on. Only problem is she said I must be back by 21:30 at the latest, cos she has to tuck me up in bed, and she knows what I like for a night cap 😉

March 30 th Saturday v Reading looks good???????

116. glic says:

Warning though Vics, remember what happened last time at the Tavern !.
    Everyone was stroking Terry`s Transplant, but even a Meekat can only ejaculate so many times with the constant rubbing of it`s erogenous organs and it wasn`t Brycreem running down Stretche`s forehead. The Meerkat had enough lost it and shouted , F**king “Go Compare” elsewhere before legging it down Blackstock Rd !.

What about Reading home, Saturday March 30th? We might even win that one.

Excatcly Vics. What you say Cornwall?. i will even bring the meekat so you can have a good stroke. hahahaha

women are like iPhones…you have to touch them all over before they respond

men are like Blackberries….rub one ball and everything moves

Ive never had that problem Vics. They respond alright, usually by running to the nearest copper. hahaha

121. glic says:

So that wasn`t your telescope being sick in the toilets ,it was the Meerkat !. hahaha

I will have to check, but it is a way off ,or maybe the Norwich game, then maybe Total can travel up on the back of an horse and cart with the inbreds, he can wear a false nine fingered hand !. hahaha

hahahaha. nine fingers? imagine the grip you can get with that. No wonder those farmers look red and talk funny. Thats probably why they always bark at you about getting of there land, they dont want you to see them gripping.

123. glic says:

If I had a nine fingered hand, I`d piss over five of my fingers !. hahaha

On that subject, have we signed Isco yet !

hey guys, get this……My misses just took a call from a pervert with heavy breath. He said “I bet you have a tight arse with no hair”

She said to him “Yes, he’s watching the football. Who shall I say is calling?” Cheeky cow.

hahahahahaha

Congrats to Messi winning the Ballon d’or & also to gareth bale who won the Fallon d’ floor !

127. glic says:

hahaha I personally leave the phone off the hook during sex nowadays as the last time it interrupted me as I was just about to explode, ring ring, ring ring ” oh for f**ks sake, yes, what do you want ?, ok , I`ll pass you over to her……….it`s for you mum !. hahahaha

In fairness, ive had many people try quick fire commwnts when i heavy phone breath them. The key is to just breath interjected with an odd “ohhhhhh” or “ahhhhhh”. They soon give up on be smart and get pissed off.

At this point you know youve got them, and armed with a sock in your ear for self defence, can realy get your rocks off.

Ime so excited, ime off to have a look at the yellow pages.

Ariverderchi

Buenas Aires Terry.

130. glic says:

Have you tried the Asthma Helpline ?. Dont forget to do the 141 first ! hahaha

131. glic says:

And dont phone Vicky as he`s currently having Oral Sex and Father O`Reilly doesn`t like to be disturbed when in the sentence of saying ” For what you are about to recieve, may the Lord make you trully thankfull….ahhhh men ” !. hahaha

132. glic says:

Night Muvvers, it`s been your pleasure !. hahaha

nite nite GLiC. stay safe driving to Orc Land.

Morning all.. Cheers up guys.. We will beat Swansea in Emirates..
    Swansea must face Chelsea and Everton before us.. that will make them a lot of suffer.. hehehe.. Chelsea and Everton will give them a big hook.. blow them down.. KO..
    And we soon have a good DM or Diaby back.. hehehe..

For this week prediction..
    Because away win give more point.. hehehe.. So I will start with that first..
    WBA, Chelsea and WHU away win..
    Norwich-Newc and QPR-Spurs Draw..

And I hope Liverpool can push MU to a draw.. or even snackdown.. hehehe..
    Suarez can do that with his good hand.. hahaha..

Morning hehehe|||||Henry 🙂

A snackdown of the Manc Muvvers would be great! 😛

How has life been treating you lately?

Morning all 🙂

New post around 11am.

Morning all BKers.

Henry many thanks for your entry.

Your odds are 147-1.

Good luck this week we must catch this RedArse (or cheat hehehe)

Morning TA..
    Life run as usual.. new year.. new spirit.. hehehe.. Hope will last long..

But this early year.. I hate to saw Ba score at Chelsea.. hehehe..
    They are getting stronger now.. And that make us look weaker.. hahaha..
    Anybody know how much did Chelsea pay for Ba wages per week..??
    But for Arsenal sake again Swansea.. I like Chelsea being stronger with Ba..
    They can snackdown Swansea.. hehehe..

Yes.. someone must stop MU rapid run.. Even in an unsuall play.. hehehe..
    Their way look like smooth untill April.. the only hard game for them is again Spurs away in jan 19 and WHU in March 9.. damn lucky they are..
    And they seem to get Strootman and Lampard in their squad..

And we still don’t have any sign about who will Wenger bring..??
    Any good news..??

Morning VCC..
    Yes.. we must catch RA.. hehehehe..
    Herb did it verywell lastweek.. we must do that also.. hahahaha..
    Eventhough I still think draw is harder to predict than away win.. hehehe..

Hi guys..
    I just read some rumours update.. look at this :

What do you think about Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht), James McCarthy (Wigan), Mohamed Diame (WHU)..?? I personally rate McCarthy and Diame high.. Young, strong and cheap.. hehehehe..

141. Red Arse says:

Morning, Hehehe Henry, 😀

you are just as charming and cheerful, as ever.

When are you going to write a Post on what it is like being a Gooner in Indonesia?
    You English is fine, but our Dutch Clog will correct any spelling that is necessary!! 😛

142. Red Arse says:

Hi VCC, 🙂

You? Cheat? Never! (Now that Prince – that’s a different story!). 😀

Morning RedArse…the boys in the gang missed you last night.

RedArse…..I may have to enforce a handicap on you Sir. If you persist in correctly predicting this week you will have to make your selections next week by shutting your eyes and sticking a pin in the paper. No cheating now.(look behind you, Oh sorry Panto season is over) Oh yes it is.

145. Red Arse says:

VCC,

That is a kind comment, re the gang, thank you! 😳

I think I will have to drop out of the UMF (at least for a while), as I have a very trying time coming up over the next few weeks. Too complicated to explain.

The UMF league is wide open now, like the flies on Glic’s trousers, and almost anyone can come flying up through the current standings — I have just fluked it to the top, temporarily! 😀

RA.. No one in this group are as charming as you.. hehehe..
    Did you have any news about transfer window..??

RedArse, please don’t drop out now. Just whack 5 assorted out and post once a week. It would be a shame to lose the Yellow jersey king just when its getting interesting.

Fully agreed with that, VCC. Redders we need you in the UMF: I know it is lonely at the top, but I will soon join you! 😛

New Post – New Post! 🙂

150. Mike says:

You know the problem is not just one player had a bad game or a moment that they got caught out or lost their balance or footing. It is in how you team around you handle that right now there are far too many players all struggling and a team that as a whole can’t put in at least a reasonable display of defensive play. Your attack was slow at times but what concerns me more is how easy even lower level teams can break down your defense.

Hi Mike, thanks for your comments. You speak about your attack nd your defence, does this mean you are not a Gooner? No problems with that, but which team do you support?