Post- match thoughts: Arsenal v Man City.

Today’s match was totally spoiled by referee Dean at the very start of the game. Koz should have known better, but who would have thought he would be given a red card by Dean on top of conceding a penalty?! I cannot believe that an experienced referee can opt to give a straight red and a penalty for the same offence in one of the ‘Super Sunday’ matches, so early in the game: what a total disappointment! Letter of the law or not, it was very harsh on Arsenal; and what should have been a fair and fantastic battle between two ‘footballing’ sides became a damp squib.

Arsenal, already out of sorts without its anchor, Arteta, as a result of a muscular injury, found it hard to adjust to the new reality of having to play with ten men, and MC smelled blood.  Despite the introduction of Mertesacker, who usually helps the team to keep organised and focussed at the back, Arsenal were unable to bring some necessary organisation to our defence after Koscielny was sent off. By the time Vermaelen and Mertesacker had restored some order, Arsenal were already 2-0 down.

All game we struggled for control and shape, but we will never know how we would have fared if Arsenal had been able to play with 11 against 11 for the entire game. With Theo centrally up-front, it is so important that at least two midfielders push higher up the pitch to find him, or one of the two wingers. The surely knackered Cazorla struggled once again to put his stamp on the game, and to give us shape and focus from the key position that he holds. I find it unbelievable that Rosicky remains on the bench at the moment, but enough has been said about that!

Jack battled all over the pitch, and was so desperate to conduct our play from the back. But the players in front of him did not make the runs needed for him to pick them out, and without any proper wingers we were predictable and ineffective.  Shall  I say it again: Jack is enormous for us and our best on-field leader.

It was good to see that he did not have to fight on his own today. Vermaelen recovered strongly after the first 30 minutes and was immense in the second half. The same can be said about Sagna who played like the old warrior again, and what a beast he was for us today!

Diaby was very rusty and in my view it was a mistake to play him in Arteta’s role after such a long absence. The deepest midfield position is such a crucial position, both in terms of shape to the team and protection of  the back-four, and I reckon it would have been better if Wilshere would have played there today; with Diaby in the more open role normally occupied by little Jack.

It is so hard to evaluate Theo’s performance today, especially as we played with 10 men for almost the entire game. As I have written in previous posts, I don’t believe we can play with Pod on the left and Theo in the middle without proper wing-play from the right. It was disappointing that Wenger had to take Ox off, and I believe it would have been better to take Pod off instead.

However, Theo’s inability to come for the ball in the air, and even on the ground, and to shield it so our other attackers and midfielders can come closer to the opposition’s box was very evident today. And when you play with ten men, this is an absolute necessity in my view.

In hindsight, it would have been better to take either Pod or Ox of for Mertesacker and replace Theo with Giroud. The Frenchman would have given us more support in my view.

I was not impressed with Theo today, but then I was also disappointed about the lack of shape in our team for most of the match, and the poor support we gave him; although having to play with only ten men had a lot to do with this, I reckon.

The sending off makes it a lot more difficult to give a fair verdict of Theo’s performance, but  I reckon Wenger will be scratching his hair tonight on what to do with regards to his formation and strike-force, going forward.

Once Kompany was also sent off as well, which probably would not have been a red card if Dean had not given Koscielny one earlier, the balance of the game, which had evened out in the second half, turned towards us, as we pressed more consistently for a goal. However, regular misunderstandings between the players, and a lack composure by a number of individual players in front of goal, meant that we did not manage to score, despite trying very hard.

We should be encouraged by the second half performance, despite some of the shortcomings of our team as described above. Dean spoilt the game though, and I hope he will not get away with it this time.

Written by: Total Arsenal.

117 Responses to Dean spoils it, Jack and Bacary immense, none the wiser about Theo, Diaby rustier than Titanic!

1. Ssilentstan says:

Of course we are wiser about Walcott. Yet again in a big game he goes missing, doesnt tackle, doesnt clos down, cant score. We know 100% he is NOT a c/f. We know 100% he is NOT worth the money he eants

2. Galway Gooner says:

Straight red card, stupid from Kos p, no excuses. Ref had no choice once he gave the penalty.

Sstan, happy for you that you can be so certain. 😕

Hi Galway G

Of course the ref had a choice, and you will find that mostly the players involved do not get a red card.

5. John says:

Shaky team, low on confidence and bereft of cohesion. The club is in serious need of an overhaul.

Easy to start blaming the ref but Arsenal can only blame themselves for the loss of concentration once again.

As long as the club are making £150 million in shirt sponsorship and turning a £15m profit every transfer window, I suppose we should all be rejoicing, should we?

Hi John,

Nobody is rejoicing at the moment. We needed a win and a convincing performance, but the game was spoilt, and we really cannot judge how good or bad our team is on the basis of today’s performance.

I agree with you about a lack of cohesion and with that comes a lack of confidence as well. Jack tried his hardest to get things going but did not get enough support in my view.

Galway Gooner. please come back (the next EPL game televised) and tell me you dod not see a similar incident during the game. Will it result in a red card? probably not. And it wont even get a red card. The penalty was correct, but red card was a complete joke.

UMF 1 League

Rocky………………….22
    Alex…………………….17
    GLiC……………………15

Well done Zimmerdine! 🙂

Widget updated.

10. Ssilentstan says:

So how many wholly ineffective games does Walcot play before your convinced. He has had 2 good 45’s this season

Cheers Total.

I’m really pissed with that red card today.

EVERY single game in the EPL you see the same incident and yet we are the only ones to get punished…….pisses me off. BIG TIME……soooooooglad I never paid £55 to see that twat Dean try and get the MOTM award.

12. John says:

It’s going to be interesting when Dean is the ref at a Stoke game next. If he is consistent, stoke will end the game with no more than 8 players.

SilentStan

His minutes between goals record is very good this season. He has a good first touch, is a good finisher and has great speed. The team needs to get used to what he has to offer and it all remains to be seen whether he will be success in the CF position or not.

Fully agreed VCC, Koz’s punishment was disproportionate!

15. glic says:

I can surprisingly go to bed not pissed off after our loss. If it had been a fair contest of 11 Vs 11 and we lost 2-0, then I`d be my usual lividness with the loss, but as soon as I saw the result and found it was not a level playing field then I knew it would be nonsensical to blame any performance of our team. Until the glic rule is brought in ( which will be when Hell freezes over or the Spuds win a Title ), then that is how I will always feel about these games and that is the feeling of being robbed of a fair game.
    Bring on Swansea and hopefully 11 Vs 11. This is the first time I can remember in CL qualifying history that I`d rather win a Trophy than get a CL spot. I however do not expect either. This could be a bummer of a year, but maybe one that will give this club especially Management and BOD a kick up the Arse to tell them, ” We do not sell our best players to our rivals ! “. I find it amazing that AW is adamant that he will not let Theo leave and let him run down his contract, but wouldn`t do the same with RVP. Unforegivable in my eyes, but that`s just my opinion and nothing to do with todays result !.
    I hope to wake up in the morning to find out we have bought Isco, now what was I saying about Hell freezing……………..hahaha

All agreed Glicxster. And I am sick to the teeth about the Walcott saga!

17. Sultan says:

Typical Wenger era fans, or Arsene FC…
    Koscielny is error-prone stop denying it!

haha Sultan, at least he will be playing in Europe next month 😉

19. diego says:

Stop blaming the ref, look at how we played, oke yes it was in the 10th minute but he shouldnt do something that stupid.

dirgo, this happens in the box all the time. A pen was harsh enough, but a sending off on top was rediculous. Did it not spoil the game in your view?

21. glic says:

Given AW saying he will not buy until the Theo situation is sorted, will Theo sign on the 31st of this month giving AW the excuse to not buy anyone or am I being too cynical or paranoid or both ? hahaha

only you can answer those questions! 😛

23. glic says:

I see Vicky has more than twice as many points as me in the UMF league……………….cheating Muvver !. hahaha
    I actually blame you lot for Arsenals demise………that`s what happens when you pick the teams above us to win………..your sub-consious is wanting them to win…………..look how excited Vicky is…… now he is top of the league………..the c**ts flying off to exotic locations…….f**k Arsenal he says !. hahaha
    That`s why I`m bottom, I cant bring myself to pick teams I hate to win ( picking for Redders didn`t count as I was trying to think like him, which is probably another ” Hell Freezes Over Scenario ” ! ), it called loyalty you traitorous bastards !. hahaha

24. glic says:

Nite Muvvers !. 🙂

Glic, I cannot do it either. As soon as you have predicted the Mancs, Chavs or Spuds to win, you start, at least subconciously, take pleasure in being right, or even wanting it to happen. I say bah to that! 😈

But the new scoring system means you can go for other matches and still do well.

Good night nut-bum 🙂

27. Phill Gooner says:

Don’t realy see how we can complain too much, Kozza would probably been sent off by most refs as he was last man and did stop a goalscoring opportunity much as it did ruin the spectacle of the game, however, the same rules apply with Kompany in that the two footed challenge is usually always shown a red, and was rightly so.

What I do find difficult is that Dzeko was whistled for four fouls by Dein but not even given a yellow, what other player is allowed four infingements without being given at least a yellow??? Especially seeing as Walcott was for hardly anything.

The real problem with us is our defence, its truly awful, far too many conceded easily, I thought that maybe with Bould as the assistant it would improve, but it seems that the problems at our beloved club are far more than the assistant.

I must admit, I dont know whether the problem lies with the manager, or the board not backing him financially, either way now, something has to be sorted or we will probably come up short with the fourth spot that the club claims is like winning a trophy!!!

28. Zavedomo says:

Wenger is right: the effort was not there, excluding Wilshere and, to a lesser degree, Sgna and Vermaelen. Shame on Walcott and Ramsey, pity about Cazorla’s lack of enthusiasm. Diaby gets a pass because he is just back.

The overall quality of the squad is, alas, not good enough any more. So effort is needed.
    And they instead keep passing back and stand around much of the time.

Alas, Walcott is really and truly a dud – and will always be a dud – as a centerforward, no matter what the fans think. He would be an OK winger. The saddest thing is that in the current climate he does, in fact, cost 90K a week…

29. richie59er says:

The inconsistency from Refs is one problem, but a straight red and a pen? How can it be? An attacker clean through, with a “one on one” against the keeper gets tackled from the side by a defender who brings the forward down without touching the ball, ok Red and a pen. Two players tussle with each other in the box but neither has control of the ball and one impedes the other, possibly a pen, but it can’t be a red card as well, unless it’s a clear goal scoring chance . If my memory is correct Dean is the Ref who celebrated Louis Saha’s goal against us, and he’s Ref’ed 10 Arsenal games without us winning. Dean’s next game as Ref is a Stoke game, if he applies the same standard of Refereeing to that, then 1st corner Stoke will have 8 men. Below 8 players the games cancelled right? I mean I think we all accept it was a foul in the box, so therefore a pen, but did Dzeko have a clear goal scoring chance? Where’d he get the red from? I might be paranoid but that early in the game, smacked of another agenda.

30. richie59er says:

@John 23:02 I should of read the previous comments before I posted, I didn’t so your the man getting in first.

31. oz gunner says:

well said TA and Richie.

Dean could hand out 2 red consecutively in the next 10 games and it will not matter, he wouldn’t even get a slap on the wrist. If Arsene slated him he’d get a big fine, if Sir Alex did dean would be in the magoos and Sir Alex would be applauded.

To ruin a game like that is disgraceful. Can’t fault the boys, they fought hard especially in the second.

GiE had an amazing stat : JW has been fouled 7 times of the 17 times we have been fouled – talk about being targeted by the opposition.

I think we would all be talking about a different outcome if Giroud scored that sitter. I’m probably his biggest fan but that was woeful. I’d be pissed if Walcott missed that…but Giroud!!! He should be banging those in with relative ease.

32. allan1340 says:

Red card or not red card, when a team can not play it’s card , it does’nt matter anymore.
    Why we Arsenal fan are looking for a excuse al time??? We were shaky and we paied the price. WE had more than 15 minuts to fixe it after Company send off but we could’nt, and this is a fact. There was a time when the teams come to our grund would shake but now nobody is afraid of us and we are shaking. Now you can blame the referee but the only person you can and you must blame is Wenger, the man who use Theo instead of Oliver, or Rambooooooooo instead of Rosicky . or not buying player because rusty Diaby are in team for how long nobody knows!!!!! shoulder blame to referee is easy , we already learn it from our manager!!!

33. Joe says:

Walcott is not a centre forward for cting out loud, how can he shield the ball away to Kompany? Not the time to experiment. Koscielny should stop with his idiocy, he’s done that a couple of times….diaby was crap yesterday, i don’t get it why Rosicky is not playing? Wilshere is our most creative mid, better that carzola. The system we are using requires a big CF to hold the ball for our players and Theo can’t do that

34. thegooner19 says:

TA, good summary of the game and everyone (fans of other teams included) agreed that the ref spoiled what should have been a fantastic game. With that said, we have been given favourable penalty calls from refs over the past month and it was bound to catch up to us. It was nice to finally see some fight from us in the second half and I really think we dominated play before $hitty also went down to 10. The momentum somehow seemed to swing back into their favour once Kompany was sent off, until we finally settled down and pressed more.

Despite not giving shape to our attack, Cazorla won a decent amount of balls back from the opposition on clean tackles. My fear is that he’ll be run into the ground and succumb to injury much like Arteta has. It baffles me that AW has not realized the precarious situation he’s placed our starters in after so many seasons and still refuses to find adequate replacements for cover. However, one thing is clear: he does not trust the majority of our current substitutes and they would be better off on loan or sold to other squads. Playing Diaby so soon after a long layoff was very questionable, when he could have given Coquelin a go to see if he could find form or prove to be adequate cover like we suspect he could.

If AW’s going to keep faith in “his way to build a squad” then he should continue to promote youth into the first team and give them opportunities. How else can we evaluate the talent we have on hand if they are refused playing time? Otherwise, GO BUY SOME GOD DAMN PLAYERS!!! Honestly, it’s starting to feel like he has become too stubborn to buy players to compensate for our lack of depth because this would represent a radical change in his blueprint and an admittance that the academy isn’t churning out the same level of talent that it was once renowned for.

On a side note, I was pleased with Ramsey in his cameo appearance today. Still a little low on confidence, evident on several of his backwards passes and movement, but he kept possession and played a beautiful ball to Theo who was unfortunately robbed by Lescott on the goal line. With Giroud, we’re seeing first hand what not being given a run of games will do to a player’s confidence. I really think he would have scored that free header in the second half, had he been playing more regularly.

35. alexgunners says:

Hi TA,
    The game was over early thanks to Mike Dean’s anti Arsenal decision.
    @Richie – yes he is the S.O.B that celebrated Saha’s goal. Isn’t it about time that their decisions really came under scrutiny. But we all know that this will not happen.
    @Thegooner – Yes give Giroud a good run of games, earlier in the season his confidence was high and was taking chances and he is a player who chases down as well. How many times did Theo drop back and help the midfield despite the fact that we were down to 10 men.
    @TA – Jack is a beast and if we could muster up a few more players with his heart and desire, we would not be in this hopeless position that we find ourselves in.
    Why are we not using our younger players who are hungry to show what we have on offer. We do not have an impact player.
    I agree with the fact that Diaby started despite only playing 66 minutes of a reserve match, where is ROSICKY??????
    @Glic – I have to agree with you, even i am starting to believe that nothing will happen this TW. We cannot wait until Theo makes up his mind. Of course there is a chance that he is using what we are offering him to negotiate with other clubs. No guarantee that he will be with us. My confidence in AW has gone, he has done amazing things for us in the past but his pet projects have not come to fruition. IMO we need an overhaul and the sooner the better.

Morning All.

Accurate report Total. Well done.

I would only disagree on one thing. imo, after the red card, I would have taken Pod off and replaced him with Giroud. played with a 4-4-1. and told Walcott to support Giroud as quick as he could. Still maintain a solid back formation.

37. Red Arse says:

Morning, People, 🙂

Everyone who complains about the lack of new players coming in during this TW has to remember that Wenger may want to buy a player, but if his club do not want to sell, or the player does not want to join us — there is no go!!

The ones who are available are snatched up by the big money clubs.

Falcao to PSG, Zaha to Manure — now that is depressing — for Wenger as well as us fans.

38. Red Arse says:

Well done, TA, writing a post match report is difficult after a disappointing result, but you have done it well. Thank you. 😀

39. David says:

Sorry to bother you but what did you say sagna played like again, a warrior? Excuse me, if he is a beast then am afraid he’s toothless. Bad crosses, no pace at all, worst of all he was far too relaxed for a game of such magnitude. I doubt if you watched the game at all.

40. glic says:

Morning Curly Curtains 😆

Sorry Redders my ol` mucker, we can afford Zaha. I`m sure we can compete with Manu for a £12m Arsenal supporting player, unless his value has risen to £30m !. If he`s going to Manu, then it says to me that we were not intersted in him and that AW sees Theo, Ox, Ryo and Gnasher as better players and cheaper one`s as they`re already here !. It will be interesting in the coming years with money coming in and FFP running smoothly ( hahaha ) to see whether AW will change the habit of a lifetime and buy BIG. What is it they say about Leopards ?.

41. oz gunner says:

morning lads and well…lads.

@ RA

Ibrahimovic and Falcao jesus christ. That is as prolific a duo as it gets!!!

@ GLIC

I’d rather Ryo, ox and serge tbh. We’ve seen what Zaha can do in the championship, but we’ve also seen what Ryo has done in the premiership!!! Injuries aside and ryo is a far superior talent.

@ VCC

agreed, but Pod was one of the only ones doing something in the first half. I’d have replaced theo with Giroud. City were never going to commit too many forward being 2 nil up, and even then clichy and zabaletta are quicker then a hiccup

42. Red Arse says:

Glic, 🙂

What they say about leopards is that they are very snobbish and won’t talk to the likes of Merry Terry! 🙂

I have agreed with a couple of your ‘serious’ posts last night/this morning, which is as it should be because you are not only funny but very astute.

You are correct, for instance, about Zaha to Manure not being down to just money (altho’ Wenger paying £12m for a 20 year old is not ever likely to have happened – Manure or no).

It is more likely that Wenger was waiting to see if Walcott would sign his new contract, or not. Of course that is weird in itself, because Theo is obviously dictating not just the money he wants, but where he will play.
    He wants the CF spot, so what has that got to do with a winger, like Zaha.
    {Maybe Arsene will get him to sign and then tell him to get on the effing wing!!)

This contract nonsense has gone on too long. If Walcott was brilliant that might be a different matter, but for a player who even many pundits don’t rate and many (most?) of the Arsenal fans don’t either, it is becoming a farce and making Arsenal look like a laughing stock.

Does anyone think he would have a future at Manure, if he was their player, and behaved liked a spoilt prima donna?

Sell him!

43. Red Arse says:

Hi ya, Ozzer, 🙂

PSG are the ‘new’ arab oligarchs and will rival Man Shitty! Oh well.

44. Red Arse says:

You naughty boy Zimmer — poor old VCC will get framed for that!! 😀

45. oz gunner says:

Morning RA, indeed they are. They are ‘Total compagnie pétrolière’

I know a lot has been made of that video already but boo bloody hoo! What does nasri expect? Passion is high with supporters and if you are walking to the Emirates I’m surprised more wasn’t said to him! I know if i was walking alongside he or BSR I wouldn’t shout out ‘goodluck, miss you buddy!’

46. oz gunner says:

well said RA. imagine how we are going to look if he doesn’t resign after this long drawn out affair! I’m pretty sure it was you who listed striking options from other teams and how there is no space available (even more so with Ba and sturridge being signed).

Personally i think the experiment is costing us big time! Why wasn’t it tried in pre-season? or pre-season’s before. Not when we are in a fight for top 4

47. Red Arse says:

Oz,

There are many things which to us, as fans, do not make much sense, but none of us are altogether stupid — welllllll, maybe……….. — anyway 🙂 one of the first things you learn, directly or indirectly, is to be ‘proactive, not reactive’! (also known as do, before being done to) 😀

I think Arsene is such a nice trusting guy, that he lets players he likes, run rings around him.

RvP often said, over the months, that he would re-sign an extension, and Arsene believed him. Same with Nasri. Cesc DID sign and AW still let him go.

Nice guys and football don’t match!! 😦

Red Arse…..It seems in life generally. The nicer you are the more you shite upon.

49. Red Arse says:

I am not a twitter twatter, so I pinched this from elsewhere, but it is some of the tweets whizzing around last night, which is probably a mixture of disappointment and anger at Theo’s contract situation.

It does not make good reading for him.

@thearsenal_: My old man has also lost it with Walcott. “He doesn’t move, Per offered more movement when he was up front.”

@jcook_04: Walcott was shocking today. Unbelievable frustrating player.

@dido_gunner14: a lot of players was poor very poor tonight like Cazorla or Gibbs and even walcott it was a hard Exam for him as striker but he fail #Afc

@villekukko: Walcott once again got his only chance coming in from wide right. Play him there Wenger! Never in the centre, we’ve got Giroud there. #AFC

@bowieafc: Theo Walcott is a child! ‘I am a striker so I will not venture away from the middle under any circumstances’ #notastriker #Afc

@tom_c_88: How Walcott can demand £100k a week is beyond me #AFC

@bixbroadfoot: Don’t like criticizing Wenger, but the general consensus amongst the clock end was that he should’ve brought on Theo at some point today#AFC [sarcastic!]

@arabgunner: He’s fast but can’t cross, and he definitely doesn’t have the mind of a CF. I’m not sure he’s worth the wage he will get. #theo #afc

@spiki67: Walcott really pissed me off today.No challenges, didn’t chase, just stood in the middle waiting for through balls. Played for himself again

@philgooner25: O welcome back walcott and wenger out brigade! Idiots we played 85 mins with 10 men! Blame koscielny no one else! FFS #FICKLE

@paulponting: And another thing. Walcott up front was terrible, why did he not go wide left when Giroud came on? No support down there other than sagna

@lewis_dolan96: Sorry but why is Walcott taking free kicks now…

@mirrorfacex: Started terribly with the red, weren’t good enough, Walcott can leave.Anonymous player when it matters. Buy some players Arsene, pronto.

TA will probably never forgive mefor the above, but I think Theo has ‘crossed the Rubicon’ and it would probably be better for him – and the club – if he moved on.
    I can only see tears, if he stays.

That said, I have always believed Arsene will do everything he can and promise theo anything to get him to stay – and he will.

50. Red Arse says:

Still prefer nice guys, VCC, people you are happy with and want to be around.

Money is important and great to have, but it does not always buy happiness.

@Total and Glic.. Cheers guys.. It just a fun game.. I do think the same as both of you.. I never choose Spurs and Everton to win.. cause they are or closer team for big-4.. and I never will predict Arsenal to lose.. hehehe.. but again.. it’s just a fun.. hehehe..

@VCC.. I will not complaining also for your scoring..
    Even yesterday you give me a big scores that I myself never-ever count.. hehehe..
    And today it drops a lot.. hahahaha.. but it’s okay.. cause for me.. it all about fun..

What problem for me is we lost.. And Kos got a red-card..
    Kos was to hard for himself.. He did a silly game.. He didn’t need to do that..
    It’s okay if Dzeko score that goal.. So what..?? We can fight back.. it’s only ten minutes..
    But the Referee.. I think was over-reacted also.. Not every violation in penalty area must booked with red..

And onething worry me more.. that Arteta will absen for 3 weeks..
    Rely on what happened last season.. without Arteta we win nothing.. it’s very critical for us.. So I just hope we will seriously find someone who really can subs him.. Diaby just not good enough.. And I hope we will not lose for Swansea at home..

But what very interesting for being a gunners..that every single games is so important.. hehehehe.. And unpredictable.. hahahaha..
    And although we don’t win a trophy.. at the end of the season we still happy because we know that our team play their best to be (still) one of the best in EPL.. And we always did that for being the big four.. in the last 16 years..
    And COYG.. I still have a big confidence that we will do that again this year..
    Go Gunners..

52. oz gunner says:

it’s the crowd mentality that you taught us about! Why be stupid solo when i can drag everyone down with me! 🙂

It’s exactly why he should not be dealing with contracts. You need to be ruthless and cut throat in that business. He needs to focus on getting the best out of the players instead.

I think Arsenal need some muscle around the joint to ‘help’ with contract negotiation. Frimpong can be brought in on extreme circumstances but on other occasions the BK crew should be called in. RA you can bear hug then from behind like you did with Keown. Terry can suffocate them with his syrup. TA can hit then with a pillow case full of clogs. VCC can step of their toes with his frame. GLIC can put a ‘GLIC’ mask on their face and chase them around the oval screaming for tender loving kisses. Henry can bring the laughing gas and we can all laugh until we pass out. Rocky can tenderise their mid section with punches whilst Micky shouts at him. The Aussie Crew can throw boiling hot meat pies at their naked bodies. The Gooner can blast hockey pucks in to their naked bodies, and Herb can sort them out the good ole fashioned way when men were tough and full of gusto!

It’s settled!

53. oz gunner says:

* n and m are too closer together okay

Afternoon guys and girls (the latter are urged to comment, cause I know you are reading! 😉 ).

Thanks to all for the fine comments last night and this morning. Good to see you keeping up the spirit.

Had to go for a walk this morning, as I am down about our team and the performance yesterday. It is just not looking good for us and I am starting to doubt whether anytime soon this will be turned around again. Then I read RA’s Theo’s quotes from a bunch of dumb keyboard heroes, and now I do not just feel down but agressive as well.

Best to give blogging a break for a few hours and let of steam.

Catch you all later.

Oz …………….3
    GLiC ……..2
    Alex …………….2
    Red Arse ……..1
    TMHT ……..1
    Rocky ……..0

Well done to Henrychan and PPP for scoring an admirable 8 points this week.

Prince has shot up the table and at this rate he might even challenge for the Yellow jersey that is currently being worn by that elegant and delectable VCC.

I enjoyed my prize for being leader this week chaps, shame Red Arse could not have taken it, but alas he was let down by that scallywag GLiC.

56. glic says:

I`m glad you enjoyed your little excursion to sunnier chimes for topping the UMF la liga Vic`s !. Thailand was it ?. By the look of these secret snaps I have, you look like you were having fun, but I must say, that is a suspiciously looking long clitoris you are sucking on !. hahaha

57. glic says:

Zimmerdine Zimdane top of the UMF League = ZZ Top ! hahaha

58. glic says:

Thanks Redders 🙂

I can be astute, but one look at my Mother-in-Law without the mirror and I can also be a statue !. You might have to explain that one to ZZ Top as his beard has velcroed to his never ( I say never as he never gets it ! ) region and every time he nods yes he slaps himself with his own Hampton and wakes up in a daze, !. hahaha
    None of that probably makes any sense, but who cares ! hahaha

GLiC….

🙂

GLiC……no orcland today?????

61. glic says:

Only on Fridays now Vic`s !.

62. glic says:

Good contract negotiating skilll`s Oz ! hahaha

love shacking today it is then. Did you make your mind up about the next rip to the Emirates? i’m easy whenever…….

64. glic says:

Too wet today Vic`s, so just lazing about until the missus wants her horse crap removed, then I`ll do some weights and treadmilling. Work tomorrow, then last bit of digging on Wednesday and laying of utilities, the actually building work starts on the 28th Jan`, but I can honestly say I`ve done most of the hard work and thank f**k it`s nearly over !.

65. glic says:

Not sure about next visit as I was hoping we get past Swansea on Wednesday and would love to go to the Brighton away game if I could find the tickets !. So will have a clearer picture after Wednesday to what`s happening !.

ok…..how about if we can get some tickets for the Brighton game. Perhaps Syrup and clogenstein can tag along. Would be good.

a right old slagging match going on AA. I can’t be arsed with all that.

be back soon, got to prepare my jacket spuds and Ratatouille for tonight’s dinner. 😉

68. Arsenal_VCC says:

There are a couple of aspects about The Arsenal’s game that have puzzled me of late – why is it that they start every game so slowly? Is it something about the pre-game preparation? I don’t have the stats in front of me, but it seems as if we concede within 15 minutes very frequently. Also, during the first few games we were all going gaga over “Steve’s influence” on the defense. What’s happened since then? Is it AW’s interference or was it a false dawn regarding defensive stability?
    The first team, on paper at least, is still a fine team I believe. But, somehow they don’t appear to be playing at the fast tempo that they can play at. The efforts to slow the game down (if that is indeed the strategy) does not appear to be helping one bit.
    …Have to avoid the Manc fans at work somehow today…:-( Still – here’s hoping that wednesday brings a smile and lots to cheer about!

69. glic says:

If we get through Vic`s that would be brilliant !. You would have to wear ear defenders though as I can be loud during a game ! hahaha

Hi and welcome Arsenal_VCC 🙂

You are asking all the right questions and the only answer I can give you is that Arsene has not yet translated/implemented his vision onto the pitch. Often our second halfs are a lot better and I reckon that is because he can talk to the players at half time and make them understand better how they should play.

For me, the key is to get all areas work better first and then improves the linking up between the defence, midfield and attack. Defence needs to find their composure and organisation again, midfield needs to have steel added and Wilshere should be our conductor, and in attack Wenger needs to decide whether he wants to play Giroud or Theo, or both. He has got his work cut out and we can only hope we see a step improvement soon.!

GLiC 16:16……lets keep our eye on it. With Syrup as well, we will be Rag , Tag and Bobtail.

And if Cloggenstein can make it .= Dar Tagnan and the three mugs. 😉

72. Red Arse says:

I have often heard that ‘half time gee up’ theory, and not just for Arsene. My question is why doesn’t he give a pre-first half gee up? 🙂

73. Red Arse says:

Where is our Toby Jug ……………..aka, Terry Titmouse??

There I was defending him on AA ………. and he sods off!! 😀

Hi RA, once an Arsene team is fully established, knows how it should play, and all players have a brilliant telepatic understanding on the pitch, I reckon Arsene does not need to do much of coaching before or during the game. But his recent team is only at the early stages of becoming a Wengerball team, and it shows. He will gee them up before the game, but I reckon he can be a lot more specific of what needs to be done different and better at half time.

Mais ca va sans dire, bien sur! 🙂

75. Red Arse says:

OK, TA, then I will go without saying too.

76. glic says:

Must take note……………….Redders is better at defending than our back four………….” Hello Arsene, Handsome Bastard here, I`ve found a better defence coach than baldy and he doesn`t wear white socks ! “.

77. thegooner19 says:

Arsenal_VCC

I suggest to bring in Brian Dawkins or Ray Lewis to the Arsenal since you suggest we have fallen victim to sluggish starts. We’d probably end up running out on the pitch like chickens with our heads cut off, but it’d be impossible to not be inspired after pre-game speeches like these:

thegooner19……blimey, those guys are more scary than GLiC. and he is scary, believe me.

79. glic says:

I see Zorro is out for 3 weeks !. I thought the last time he was out, it took us to the last game of the season to win without him !.
    Swansea cup game has gone on General Sale, how long before it filters down to Private Parts and then to the public ?

where’s Terry? need to speak to him about arranging a game.

81. glic says:

I`m afraid Stretch is suffering from an ear infection, this is what happens when you spend hours holding a cold glass to your ear up against a wall and trying to listen to what the neighbours are upto in their bedroom !.

VCC 🙂 Widget updated

RA 🙂

GLIC 🙂

Total…..
    😉

84. glic says:

RA 🙂
    Total 🙂
    ZZ 🙂
    Who needs words !. 😆

85. glic says:

It`s easy richie, use a pseudonym !. 🙂

86. richie59er says:

@glic thats my point I can’t be bothered to comment, TA understands why.

87. richie59er says:

The best comment on the whole blog was GunnerN5’s repro of

“It’s better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak/write and remove all doubt”.

Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

If AL had been a football manager it would’ve been a goal kick all the way up to the CF who heads it in. Job Done!

88. richie59er says:

Unfortunately many of us on this blog have been mightily concerned about our lack of cover should our No.8 get so much as a bruised toe, well as is now apparent the worst case scenario has happened “Arteta is injured” out for 3 weeks, which if form is anything to go by, means we now have 3 weeks during which we won’t be able to win a game. I don’t know how Arsene is feeling but we can’t wait for the very ring rusty Diaby to become match fit again, we now need DM reinforcements quickly. Arsene likes to raid France for her footballing sons so he better get on the trumpet to Oliver Sadran & Alain Casanova, the FC Toulouse chairman and manager respectively, because like quite a few others on here I like the look Etienne Capoue.

If we could get him in and he could hit the ground running like Santi did then there’s a chance we won’t lose every match in the next 21 days. Otherwise Arsene better grab the bull by the horns and bloody the kids. We ain’t got sufficient DM cover for Arteta in the first team squad apart from Coquelin who I’m not sure is fully ready yet? Certainly Rambo isn’t ready to step up and step in. In that regard I’m inclined to agree with our old Welsh ginger top John Hartson, when he says Aaron Ramsey would benefit from a loan spell, he’s going backwards. So is it now time for either Thomas Eisfeld or Serge Gnarby to step up? What’s better a rusty recovering player or a youngster who ain’t played at premiership level before?

Richie…give the youngsters a run out. Diaby looked well off the pace against City. Not blaming him because it’s Wenger who picks the team. Far too early for him to have come back and was so proved.

I like the look of Eisfeld, but not sure he is a defensive type. He’s more an attacking midfielder.

Wenger will be tested in the coming weeks. Let’s see what his reaction is. Watch this space.

Evening Richie,

It appears to be very hard for fellow human beings to express their views, emotions and beliefs without, often subconciously or passive agressively, attacking others for their views, emotions and beliefs in the process. I am often guilty of it as well, and yet we should learn to understand and respect that we are all different, not fully informed about everything Arsenal, and also have different ways of dealing with disappointments of our beloved team.

Key is never to make it personal but just to accept that somebody else can see things totally different from you.

Hi Richie, yes we are likely to miss Arteta quite a bit in the next few weeks, but as this team is still being put together by Wenger at the moment, maybe it is not a bad thing. It will force him to look at his alternatives, and you might be right that we will now get our much asked for DM before the TW closes.

Hi VCC, agreed on Eisfeld: not a DM type.

G 🙂 L 😛 I 😀 C 😉

Right guys off to bed.

I have been cracking my brains what to write about today, but I feel it is best to give it a day’s rest. I have said everything I wanted to say in the last post and subsequent comments. If we take Dean’s rediculously severe decision out of the equation, a lot was not right yesterday with the team. We have between us analysed it to death, and now it is up to Arsene to change it round very quickly.

Night all. 🙂

95. oz gunner says:

Night TA.

Hopefully in the dark of Atreta’s injury we can see what Coquelin is made of! Give the boy a go!

96. richie59er says:

@Oz I count myself as bloody lucky mate. I can leave my home and walk 10 minuets and be standing on the south pedestrian bridge (re-named Daniel Fiszman Bridge) about to enter the stadium. Because I’m a Highbury boy and live close to the stadium does that make me anymore of supporter than you down under? Or Desi Gunner in Indian? Hell No! But you’ll forgive me if I think I’m a lot luckier than those who have to cross continents to watch their team play live. If anything it’s easier for us locals, and those that live further away have to work harder to support. Well IMHO anyway.

97. oz gunner says:

please forgive me if I tell you I now hate you Richie! 🙂

Very very very very jealous!!!

98. oz gunner says:

Not touching that one with a 10-foot pole Herbie.

I just don’t like the ‘I’m better than you because this and this…’

As supporters of a team we all love we should be unified, yes we may have different opinions from time to time, but I don’t like it when individuals undermine others because of various circumstances. We should think of each other as all loving Arsenal equally.

Can i get an AMEN!!!!

Oz….Totally agree with you. We should give Le Coq a run out as Arteta is injured. We have nothing to lose now as it’s clear Wenger is not going to venture into the transfer market.

So we need to put up or shut up now. We have to go with what we have got.

I would go further and try out one at a time maybe…..Meade/Gnabry/Jenkinson/Coquelin. Why not?

100. oz gunner says:

Morning VCC

Agreed, you can’t say we have a complete squad yet never play anyone apart from the starting lineup. The Diaby inclusion was a bit of a slap to the face to Coquelin to be honest. Yes we were down to 10 early but slotting Diaby in just like that in a big fixture was very risky.
    If we are not going to buy that is fine by me, but the youngsters need to be given ago once and a while. Otherwise a player like Arteta goes down and we think ‘Holy sh*t, who is filling in for him????’

AA, Jenks, Miquel, Meade, Coquelin, Frimpong, Aneke, Serge, Eisfeld…they need game time. Not all at once but they are hungry, lets feed the young whipper snappers

Morning all 🙂

Aim to issue a new post around 10am.

All agreed Ozzer! 🙂

Oz…..you and I should go and knock on Wengers door and tell him straight. We are in unison, give these guys some playing time. Maybe not start them but put them on the bench and give them 10/15/20 minutes, depends on how the games pan out.

You mention Chuks Aneke. This young guy is impressing punters, if you listen to the press. Looks like he will have the physique too when he starts to develop.

Coquelin must be right pissed off. Filling in when asked only to see Diaby come straight back into the side as soon as he was fit. This does not mean he is match fit and it showed.????

Diaby would have been my choice to take off instead of the Ox. Wenger played the wring card imo.

TA…get your finger out Man, whats the matter with you …. 😉

104. oz gunner says:

Tell you what VCC, that site owner has let all the popularity go to his head. First the slackness then soon enough he’ll have a payed writer writing his thoughts for him. Remember the little guys TA 🙂

If I knew where he lived I would, problem is I wouldn’t get past the front gate because of all those emails and letters I’ve sent asking him to adopt me!

It’s what annoys me VCC because so much patience and effort is put into Diaby but what is the point? He doesn’t stay fit for long enough and it only slows the progression of other players in the squad. He should be continually played in the under 21’s until he can prove his fitness. Look at how good Ramsey played on the weekend in central midfield. I’m sure he wants to have a go at his actual position rather than up the field.

Ozzy…..Why on earth does Wenger keep trying to put square pegs into round holes. It beats me. So frustrating for a supporter, Denis knows what it does to the player concerned.

I have been critical of Ramsey in the past, but to be fair to him, he hardly ever gets a run out in his favoured position.

Spot with the call that Diaby should be made to have a fair run in the reserves before he gets a chance in the first team again. You can hardly say he is a world beater (yet?) and a nailed on starter for us anyway.

Send your cv to …….Arsenal FC. Emirates Stadium. London. ;-0

Arthur Mullard….you naughty boy. 😉

107. oz gunner says:

Not sure VCC, I call it ‘Yossi-syndrome’! That sod did such a good job in that position now Arsene is trying to replicate it with Ramsey. I like the idea of jack of all trade players but only if it fits the player, with Ramsey out there we lack shape and it just doesn’t suit him. Personally I’d rather a run of games given to Ramsey or Coquelin as opposed to a injury risk Diaby. One more injury and I’m taking him to the football glue factory myself!

Mmmmm…if only Arsenal needed someone to collect urine and blood samples for analysis! Heck I’ll take the ball boy spot, that way I can creep over to Arsene’s technical area, give him some advice…then get ejected and banned for life! It’d be worth it if he listened haha

Oz…..your last paragraph has made me take some paracetamol.

It reminded me of one of the least favourite functions I had to do in my last employment. Taking samples and analysing them. Although mine were within the petroleum business.

This DM situation we find ourselves in????? surely Wenger can see it is a problem area we have????? why would you not spend a little of that war chest and take a gamble/punt on one of the many names that are being banded about. Baffling

Cheeky buck fums! 🙂

110. richie59er says:

@Oz & VCC Re- My 03:10 comment I think living anywhere’s alright as long as it’s not some Dennis forsaken place like Norfolk 🙂 😀 😆 🙂 😀 😆

richie59er.

Or N.17 🙂

Dennis is everywhere, even in Norfolk, Richie! 😆

New Post – New Post 🙂

114. lamin says:

Dean is a shock his decision was the difference