ferrari-enzo-doors-open-front-track

I am not a big believer in the uses of shop-therapy, whether in personal life or with regards to Arsenal. Apparently, when Socrates walked through a busy Ancient Athens market place about 2500 years ago he shouted: ‘How many things I don’t need!’. I am a bit like that when walking through the shopping streets of England’s towns and cities two and half decennia later.

I am rubbish at understanding the big, modern philosophers but nevertheless a philosophical person; as in, I try to understand what the meaning is of things and events, and I take great pleasure in doing so. One of my favourite Socrates quotes is: ‘The unexamined life is not worth living’, and in order to do this you do not need to spend lots of money.

I am one of these Gooners who take great pride in the fact that Arsene creates his own stars by turning raw diamonds into fine and shiny gems, and that the club has been able to live within its means. We just need to keep hold of them and add one or two quality players every season and within no time Arsenal will win silverware again.

But, things are not going to plan at the moment and it is not necessarily the results which we need to worry about: a couple of wins in a row and all could look rosy again.

What is more worrying is the lack of form and shape to the team; the inability to organise our defence and get a run of solid defensive team performances; the lack of balance in midfield and inability to totally dominate this area anymore; the unsettledness, and unpredictable level of performances, by our strike-force; and most importantly, the lack of cohesion, leadership and fighting spirit throughout the team.

Half way into the season, this is not good enough and there is nowhere to hide anymore, as we have entered the period in which a season is made or broken. Many supporters are very unhappy about what is happening at the club at the moment, and Wenger appears to try and resolve it all by focussing hard on the team performances, and by sticking to his players and preferred formation.

However, in order to break the mood, or spell if you want, Arsenal might have no other option but to buy another January X-factor. Just like the club did in 2004 with the purchase of the Reyes, and in 2009 with arrival of Arshavin.

They both had an instant impact and especially Arshavin gave Arsenal a well-needed lift. We need something similar this January, although we must not forget that Reyes and Arshavin have eventually turned out into expensive flops: one suffered from homesickness and the other one does not have the necessary discipline and/or fitness to make it at Arsenal. Shop-therapy seems to come with a ‘best before’ date.

Of course, we could all get excited about the arrival of a top striker or winger, but what we really, really need first is a beast of DM. Somebody with steel, vision, passing skills and experience. I have written quite a few posts about the need for a DM recently, so I won’t bore you with it again.

I am hoping Arsene will not play Diaby in the deepest midfield position again when we play Swansea tomorrow. I don’t think this is his position or that he has the fitness for it right now. Arsene should give Coquelin the chance to proof himself in that role, but I a must admit I am not sure whether he is yet good enough for the ‘Anchor’ role. Arsene could also play Wilshere in the deepest midfield position and let Diaby play in his position, with either Rosicky (ideally) or Cazorla (probably) in front of both of them.

But these are just solutions for Wednesday and the next couple of games. Arsenal need to find a structural solution as Arteta is also not the long-term answer, and I reckon there is no other option but to get a quality defensive midfielder as soon as possible: Schweinsteiger, Arturo Vidal or Alonzo would do fine, or maybe Capoue, Wanyama, or Strootman would be the answer. I am sure you all have views on who would be the best fit for Arsenal.

Arsene, it is time to indulge yourself with some proper shop therapy: give us all a lift, please! 🙂

Written by: Total Arsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

144 Responses to Reyes ’04, Arshavin ’09, a beastly DM in ’13? Time to purchase another X-factor!

1. richie59er says:

@VCC from last; N19’s not actually a place is it? I thought it was a PO box for a prison.(:lol:)

2. richie59er says:

What is it with these bloody smiley’s? (:lol:)

You need to leave the brackets out and leave a space on the left and the right instead, simples! 😉

4. richie59er says:

Norfolk Know it all 😆

TA.. Reyes was a left winger.. wasn’t he..??
    And so do Arshavin.. playing as a LW now..
    So must we buy another LW..?? How will that be..??
    Could it be Lopez..??

When will this january’s window transfer end..??
    Next week..?? We have not sign somebody yet.. even Walcott..??
    Will Wenger give us a nice-surprise..??

6. richie59er says:

Dennis would probably feel right at home in Norfolk it’s the only place in England below sea level. 😀 Anything above ground level makes Netherlanders giddy. 😀 Not only that but it’s got canals what more nether region-er what? 😆
    Dictionary def;
    Nether = Posterior, Rear, Hind, Lateral, Subsequent.

Henry, ‘could it be Lopez’ – who knows! 🙂

If it would mean we do not a get DM, I would be disappointed though.

Richie 🙂 Netherland – Arseland, Now I like that! 😛

8. richie59er says:

@VCC; I meant N17 obviously it’s just I can’t bring myself to actually type it 😀 physically my fingers refused, I had to wait for the wife to return so she could do the biz for me. 😆
    It’s like their other names; Tiny Totts I can manage, St Totteringhams day, no problem. Shiite hole lane, ok. But to actually type totnumb and their postal code is a bridge too far. Apologies to all those who live in shady N19 it was not my intention denigrate you by way of association with that most foul of all cess pits.

Hi TA

Yes we need reinforcements and i concur wholey about a defensive midfielder.

I believe we are between a rock and a hard place (Rock Hard hahaha, sorry, couldnt resist)

When we dont have the ball we are to lighweight and consquently when the game is not going our way lose to many chalanges and fights on the pitch. Indeed, this is so bad at times, that even poor sides such as Bradford can have moments when they look more likely than we do.

Yes, we are designed to attack. and our top four status has always ben maintained post 2004 by Wengerball and some world class attacking talents. in the last few years RVP and Cesc. Thats gone now, and suddenly we look more vulnerable.

if you look at the squad we have then many of our problems will be resolved with maturity. The young players will get stronger physicaly and we will start winning the tackles and fights. However, we must address the lack of forwrd talent. Not easy i know, but a punt on Zaha would be a good start. As for the midfiled, someone like Mvilla would be nice.

Socrates was a nice chap, but he could never have held down a women. imagine going shopping with the Mrs and everytime she stopped to have a look at an item you would butt i with “These things are not required for happiness” or ” i will not buy you this because your fullfilment rests in me” For sure, he would be pleading if there was any room in my loft. hahaha

Hi Henry……did you see your UMF 1 score? 2 behind that handsome fellow. 😉

Total……Not sure who we should sign. I would have loved being a scout. What a job, going around the country watching talent to assess whether they would be good enough for the mighty Arse. Heaven, the best job imaginable.

My limited knowledge would go for MBwia first followed by Winyamma (?) of Celtic. Seen clips of these guys and they are physically strong (which is paramount for our team atm) with plenty of skill.

Regarding MBwia, I have seen him play in midfield. Not doubting he maybe a CD but he performs well in the defensive midfield position too.

Will be very interesting to see how MVila performs for the hoops as many Gooners would have liked him to sign for us. MBwia is better imo.

Redders, thanks so much for your words the other day. I have said it before but will say it again, you are Knight in shining armour of the blogging world.

Richie 11:54…..stay awake and keep up please. 😉

Aah, Terry you are wrong my friend: wisdom is a great aphrodisiac – as a Greek, you should know that! 😉

HI VCC, yes I liked what I saw about MBwia as well, and I agree he could play as our DM, and he has the leadership skills too…

Not that kind of wisdom TA. hahaha

16. richie59er says:

Yes TA your a right Arse-ender!! 😆

Richie 😛

David Beckham, David Beckham, do you take her up the…..Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal, Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal

Arse-enter or Arse-Tender, Richie? hahahaha

19. i would prefer wanyama for dm coz he confessed being a gunner

kenyan g

I was told by a fellow Kenya based Gooner, Wanyama a big MU supporter, but would not ‘mind’ to play for us….

21. Red Arse says:

Terry,

Of course Socrates would not hold down a woman, he was gay!! 🙂

Ask Todger Glic, he knew him well!! 🙂

22. JM says:

(1) Etienne Capoue, French/Guadeloupean, 24yrs, 1.89m, (DM/CB/CM)
    (Not cup-tied for CL)
    (Can play in midfield and defense; either as holding or box-to-box midfielder)

(Etienne Capoue Arsenal s Solution)

(Étienne Capoue – Goals, Skills, Emotions)

(2) Erik Lamela, Argentinian/Spanish, 20yrs, 1.84m, (RW/LW/Second striker)
    (Not cup-tied in CL; Has Spanish passport, i.e. should not need any work permit)
    (Suits playing as wide forward/attacking winger in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation)

(Erik Lamela 2012/2013 Highlights – El Coco!!)

(Erik Lamela 2012/2013 – Growing Up)

I never knew that Redders. i always thought he turned to philosophy because he couldnt pick up women. But now i know he knows Cornwall all is explained. hahaha

Socrates was bisexual – he had two wives and three sons. All that thinking made him horney I reckon! 🙂

25. Red Arse says:

I have no idea what Socrates was, Terry, just thought I would tease you. 🙂

Did you hear Arsene’s interview with Al Jezeera?

In brief he said that this was a strong squad, even tho’ everyone else was saying it was not.

He said he was 63 y.o. and would not stay with Arsenal indefinitely, but he would honour his contract, which finishes next year.

He then said he wanted to develop the young players we have but that he ‘hoped’ to buy one or two players, but was not clear whether he meant this month, or next summer. (I guess it depends on who is available, as always.)

Thanks for video links JM – who has got your preference?

27. richie59er says:

Since Gilberto Silva left we haven’t had a proper DM. Songo was a compromise, a central defender converted to midfielder (yet another rabbit pulled from Arsene’s magic hat) Flamimi was a shooting star of a DM both for us and subsequently Milan he shone so brightly in his one (hit wonder of a) season that he managed to fool everyone, for Gooners it was the great partnership he struck up with Cesc that so impressed. Its why many of us wish we could’ve taken Miquel earlier to play alongside Mr Fabregas as that partnership we think would’ve mirrored the Cesc Flamini one season.

Now Mr reliable Arteta does a pretty fine impersonation of the Makalale role and in Europe that might easily be enough, but not in the prem, which is why we need another “strong midfielder”. In effect we have the player we need already (but for one word)* in Diaby, but unfortunately poor Abou gets injured just thinking about having a kick about, forget actually warming up, I like him and feel sorry for the boy but I feel even sorrier for myself, Arsene and my fellow Gooners, because he so flatters to deceive. I had hopped that like Dijk van Judas before him, this year he’d rise like a phoenix, stay injury free and we’d get at least one good year in 7 or is it now one in 8?. Before the Oily boys paid us £20Mil for him, while we got his injury free replacement in Capoue for £10Mil. Early doors it looked like it was going to be his year, before Arsenal’s perpetual ground hog day took hold. *(strong physically Diaby is, but consecutive injuries weaken him especially from a consistent team point of view).

Like TA I’m happy for the club to stay in budget and I prefer our player development route to the off the peg big money buys, unlike many I even like the idea of a salary cap, and I don’t want us to try to play the follow the leader game. The Chavs pay their players outrageous sums and the Northern Oilers pay more in compensation because the “wags” can’t shop in Kensington, meanwhile SAF insists on matching either of those two because otherwise he’ll fall behind. None of that has anything to do with the actual market value, it’s a distortion of the market, I like the recent 12 prem club letter to the prem calling for the implementation of FFP in our league. Our players are well paid at up to a £100k a week; I don’t give a toss if Manu’er “have” to pay Dijk v J & Shrek a £Mil a month that’s their business, their debt.

I know a lot of you won’t agree with me but I want to see more of Frimpong because I think he’s in the mould of the type of player that we need and he won’t cost much, like Jack he’s been with us since he was 9. As a DM he’s combative and he’s got a good engine, I think he should’ve been given, pitch time. I know he’s been out injured and I know he’s raw but like Jack he’s a Gooner, if Arsene put time into developing him I think he’d come good quickly. Same reason I’d of liked us to say to Crystal Palace we’ll match any offer Manu’er make for Zaha, let Wilf decide where he wants to go. The kids a Gooner and I love the idea of building a team of talented kids who bleed red and white, who not only wanna play great football but wanna play for the Arse.

28. JM says:

@TotalArsenal,

Ideally, the club should sign both (though Toulouse & Roma are tough negotiators).

If it comes to one choice, get Capoue.

(i) Toulouse currently sits @12th position in Ligue 1 (Roma is @ 6th spot in Serie A and after a Europa place next season).

(ii) Critically, going by the 60% to 40% winning rule (60% -> influence of players playing along the centre length of pitch e.g. GK->CB->DM/CM/AM->CF, and 40% -> influence of players playing along both sides/flanks of pitch e.g. fullbacks, wide midfielders and wingers), we should strength our centre spine first.

(iii) Doubts of availability of quality (and fit) players rotating in the holding/box-to-box midfielder positions:
    Arteta is out till early Feb 2013 (that is the soonest w/o further complications),
    Diaby has just returned from a lengthly injury, is rusty and needs to be eased in carefully (lest he suffers a relapse),
    Wilshere is also playing after 1 entire season out from injury (and he should avoid getting into the red danger zone – exhaustion too soon)
    Both Coquelin & Frimpong are used sparingly by Arsene. Coquelin are not getting rotated game time in the DM/CM position while Frimpong recently returned from loan (and also after a lengthly injury spell).
    Ramsey is played further up the pitch in either the wings or AM.

Fine comment Richie 🙂

Like you I would like to see Frimmers succeed but but but it is too early for him, I reckon. Love his attitude and hunger but he would be a magnet to red cards at the moment.

Cheers JM, and agreed on the 60%-40% rule. Our cover is not great, in terms of quality. What do you think about either Koz or Vermaelen in as our DM?

Yes i saw that Redders. I think it just underlines what weve been thinking . i.e. the clubs finances are loosening up, and that Wenger is an honourable man.

I tell you what TA, with chat up lines like “I can not procure this fur coat for you for, it will diminish your desire for self worth” he done very well. hahaha

haha Terry 🙂

Or: ‘why look at one diamond around your neck, when I can look at a thousand glistening and dancing on the sea?’

Richie 14:10…..you old romantic you. 🙂

34. JM says:

@TotalArsenal (January 15, 2013 14:26),

My preference for the team’s alternative would be to adopt a 3 men defence (Mertesacker with Kocielny & Vermaelen on either side of him) instead of getting either Koz or Vermaelen in as DM.

2xCMs in a 3-4-3(like Ajax’s) among Arteta/Diaby/Wilshere/Coquelin/Ramsey to choose from.

or 3xCMs in a 3-5-2(like Juventus’s) among Arteta/Diaby/Wilshere/Coquelin/Ramsey/Cazorla to choose from.

or 1xCM (with WBs on the left and right flanks) and 1xAM in a 3-3-1-3(like Barcelona’s) among Arteta/Diaby/Wilshere/Coquelin/Ramsey to choose from.

JM…..please stick around for a very long time. I have an ally with 3 men defence. = Kos/Mert/Vermaelen.

I would have a 3-5-2 formation though. With the wide guys pushing on and tracking back. We have the armoury for that type of play.

I have been trying to tell TA for ages. but he’s a bit deaf you know. 😉

Cheers JM, any formation with more in midfield gets my ‘thumbs up’. I like 4–5-1:

Usual defence
    Cazorla – Jack- Arteta – DM- Pod
    —————Giroud——————-

or

4-4-2

Usual defence
    Cazorla – Jack – DM – Pod
    ——-Theo—–Giroud——-

37. richie59er says:

I think Frimpy’s red was just over enthusiasm, I see it in the way that Jack got himself red carded he was trying too hard. Strange but true all our “Gooners” Jack, Frimpy & Jenkinson all got themselves reds. Is it a coincidence or do they wanna give it their all?

Haha VCC 🙂

I just feel that with 3-5-2 it can quickly become 5-3-2 with LM and RM becoming far too often/long the FB’s. It would work if we could find/further develop our FB’s into multiskilled wing-back who can cross and……dare I say it, score a goal regularly… 😕

39. oz gunner says:

fine post TA, it does feel a lot like 2009! AA was a shot of life that’s for sure and another purchase to lift the spirits would do wonders i feel.

God if we signed Bastian Schweinsteiger I think I would fall to my knees and just cry of joy! The thought of BFG, pod, and bastian would make my mouth water! You’d see more man love from me than a Kozzer tackle!

Good comment Richie, i too would like to see more of frimpong. However, I want the youth to succeed that much the starting line-up would need to be extended to 22 players just to fit them all in! Frimpong is the monster we are after, and best of all he’s an Arsenal fan that is right under our noses

Agreed Richie,

The DM role in our 4-2-1-3 is just such a hard role, as he needs to be able to free up Wilshere to join Cazorla as much as possible. He needs strength, tackling ability, timing, positioning, passing etc etc.

Hi Oz 🙂

Love the avatar!

42. richie59er says:

@VCC Of course I’m an old romantic I’ve been a Gooner since the 60’s how could I be anything else? Like GN5 and others I’ve seen more false dawns than most so it’s the only way I can stay sane, besides it’s Arsene’s system that’s served me so well. I’ve now lived through the most successful period in our clubs history without us getting into debt, I love it! Not only that but I see things long term, for example I saw us fall behind the Pool, in the 70’s & 80’s – When before that we were the “top dogs” with our win in 71. (our 8th) title to Manu’ers, Everton, & the Pools 7.

Then I suffered year on year as the Pool left us behind, by the time we won the league at Anfield in 89 (our 9th) the Pool were on 17 and when we got it back again in 91 (our 10th) the Pool had 18. By the time Wenger arrived in 96 Manu’er had also over taken us coz they got 4 of the first 5 prems. They had 11 to our (10). So Arsene managed to hold back the tide momentarily, with the 97-8 win, we were all square with Manu’er on 11 a piece. After that unfortunately the Manc’s tide washed away our sand castle somewhat as we are now stuck on unlucky 13 and they’ve out done the Pool, I’ll be gutted if the Dijk v J wins them their 20th but I still won’t want us to compromise on our romantic principles. I’ve said repeatedly I don’t just want to win the league again, I want us to do it playing the fast attacking football we are now known for. I wouldn’t want to win the CL in the way the Chav’s did. How romantic is that?

43. richie59er says:

@TA14:52 that’s another reason I could fancy Wilf Zaha in the wing back role of a 3 5 2 interchangeable 3 4 3 classic total football formation. 😆 I mean you have to give it to those Old Dutch bastards especially Rinus Michels whoever thought to play (underwater) football below sea level? It was so mad it had to be a Dutch invention! 🙂

hahaha Richie Michels was a genius! Below sea-level means fertile soil and therefore good grass, and the Frisian cows provide the quality leather for balls and shoes! Add to that the brain power and creative genius of Spinoza, Rembrandt and Van Gogh and you have all the ingredients for totaal voetbal! 🙂

One of my favourites gestures in football is Michel’s showing of disbelief after Van Basten’s wondergoal against the Russians during the final of the Euro’s in 88:

46. richie59er says:

Thats why your in the only part of the country thats has so much water below sea level you believe it gives you brain power? Ah ha I see said the blind man. Not only that but Norfolks the only part of the country with windmills eh 😆

Norfolk seldom reminds me of Holland, it is mostly not flat enough and not ‘organised/structured enough’, but I can see why others think this part of the UK is like Holland. I much prefer Scotland: space, hills, mountains and sea-lochs! 🙂

Richie 16:35….and Tulips 😉

Total……..do you know who are the tallest nation on earth?

you wanna keep me guessing?

We went on a mini cruise last October and visited Antwerp and Amsterdam. Very enjoyable too.

Whilst we were in Amsterdam, we took a day trip with a guide.

During this lovely day trip he said it was now official that the Dutch are the tallest nation???????

Not sure if this is cosher, but he seemed to know his onions.

52. richie59er says:

@TA I wasn’t serious I was extracting the urine! 😆 it’s only a tiny part of Norfolk that has canals and a few windmills the broads. Although just south of the Norfolk broads in Suffolk they’ve got Holland on sea and even Hollandsey bay I think? Just in case you feel homesick I’ve never been myself but I’ve sailed just off there.

53. Red Arse says:

The Dutch!

It surprised us all. But he was adamant he was telling the truth????

Red Arse….go to the top of the class.

56. Red Arse says:

VCC,

Statistically, the tallest people in the world, as measured by country are the Dutch.

The average height for all adults for the Netherlands is 6 feet 1 inch (1.85 m). This great leap in height is a huge change for Holland, where about 100 years ago, 25% of men who attempted to join the army were rejected as being too short arsed, less than 62 inches, 5′ 2″ (1.57 m) tall.

They sent raiding parties out into the surrounding countries and kidnapped all the tallest women – and hey presto – it worked! 🙂

True Red Arse.

Also the powers that be ordered cobblers to make clogs with 6″ heels.

I know this because I’ve seen Total’s. 😉 🙂 😉 his were very cute.

The Dutch have always been among the tallest, but I thought the Norwegians were on average a bit closer to Heaven.

There are no hills in most of Holland so in order to see approaching danger one had to stretch the neck, and over generations it stretched the nation! 😉

Richie what is the opposite of homesick; because that is how I feel?! 🙂

Yes Red Arse, and those raiding parties were the Oomygoolies tribe.

They acquired their name by the war cry they made whist running threough the corn fields.

or was it the tulip fields….I don’t know

62. Red Arse says:

I thought it was the sharp pointed tulips, VCC — they don’t sow corn in Holland, they would only have enough to feed the TA family!!

I love those sharp pointed tulips. The multi coloured ones, Red and Yellow.

co-incidentally Red Arse, they are Totals favourite too.

It’s how I recognised him when meeting for the first time in the Tavern last season. He where’s them behind his ears.

very fetching indeed.

UMF League predictions:

Draws: Swansea, West Ham, Wigan, West Brom and Spuds.

cheers Total. Your odds are = 490-1

VCC ( Yellow Jersey holder) No copying GLiC 😉
    Southampton v Everton…..Draw
    WHU v QPR…………………..Draw
    WBA v AV……………………..Home
    Liverpool v Norwich………..Home
    Swansea v Stoke……………Draw

Odds = 84-1

Total…..Prince has been nominated to make selections for Red Arse this week.

68. glic says:

Evening Velcro Love Triangle`s 😆

Thanks again Dr Van Cloggenstein. 🙂

I haven`t the foggiest who we are going to buy, but if it`s a DM you want, then I have done a survey and can confirm that 99% of Hamptons surveyed said, Isco would fit on as a tattoo quite comfortably .
    By the end of this month I expect us to be quite adrift from CL spot and cant see us getting more than 5th, although it is something I was resigned to once we lost Vangina Pussy, it still hurts like f**k !. Just because I have low expectations, it doesn`t mean I want to be proved right !. Football is a funny game and I pray to be wrong.
    Anyway, surmising I`m right, I would love us to use the rest of the campaign to play the youngsters in the league and give them ( Coq, Jenks, Gnasher, Miquel, Ice baby etc ) some valuable first team bonding time. If we cant get 4th, then personally I dont want the embarrassment of a Thursday night unless it is used for just the youngsters !.

My predictions for coming weekend are:

Start Reading
    Quentins Pert Rectum
    The North Witches
    The Vanillians
    One or two slices sir ?, no, make it a Full Ham !.

All to win .

Here`s AW`s interview if you want to listen !.

69. glic says:

I`ve noticed Redders seems to be doing a lot of blogging, but cant seem to pick 5 teams, I think the pressure of being out in front got to him, with his Arsenal DNA, he was expecting a New Year slump !. hahaha

Evening GLiCtorious.

Your odds are = 8910-1

He certainly slumped last week with some nutter doing it for him. Wonder who that was.????

72. glic says:

One of the rumours I just dont get…..Adrian Lopez…..in the rumour it say`s he is a shadow of the player he was last season and that he isn`t getting the playing time and is behind Diego Costa and Falcao !. So why the f**k are we supposed to be intersted in him ?.
    Were Manure after Chamakh !.

73. glic says:

Thats better Vic`s, proper odds !. Just like my MiL, I will be firmly cemented at the bottom !. hahaha

Same as why are we being linked with that West Ham mid fielder Diakete (?)

75. glic says:

Who ? hahaha

Mohammed Diame, sorry.

77. thegooner19 says:

TA, that first bolded paragraph sums up how I and the majority of Arsenal fans currently feel. There is no consistency anywhere throughout our squad and there’s a lack of depth in our bench (or there is and AW chooses to not play them…). Having that DM to rotate with Arteta would do wonders for our midfield and likely allow Santi to roam further up field. I agree that Diaby should not be playing right now and should be getting substitute appearances and the odd start to ensure he’ll be healthy when we need him most – against Bayern.

Capoue is certainly my first choice DM, as his price, size and no-nonsense approach to football is exactly what Arsenal is short of. He’s fearless, makes the simple passes, wins a ton of aerial battles (another area we are insufficient in) and sits in front of the back 4. He patrols his own end of the field like a pitbull and relentlessly pressures the opposition until his team has won the ball back. He’s also shown a knack for moving further up field this season and his increase in goals and assists is proof of untapped offensive ability.

A back-up LB for Gibbs would also be great, but it appears that AW will be sticking with Santos for the time being. If that’s the case, then I’d be thrilled with adding a winger on top of Capoue. Isco or Turan are head and shoulders above all the other names we’ve been linked to, but it remains to be seen if AW will splash out that sort of cash to acquire such a talent.

78. glic says:

The only rumour I have seen which I have liked so far is Zaha, but Manure will probably get another Arsenal supporter, to go along with Young, Smalling and the man with a little boy inside him !.

79. glic says:

PS
    Obviously I would love to have Isco, but I dont consider him a rumour, even though financially he is well within our reach. The only reasons I can think that we are not interesed in him is because AW doesn`t want/need him or that he is not for sale . With Chavs rumoured to have failed a FFP test ( I did post link previously ), they are now trying to meet the criteria and cant possibly be able to buy another £30m player without flaunting the rules. We must be head and shoulders above any one in this league to be able to afford players in that region of money without breaking FFP !. It`s there, but will we spend or wait until summer ?.

80. glic says:

Another PS
    I`m knackered after driving over 300 miles around country lanes and A roads today and believe me that is more tiring than doing 550 miles of M-Way driving !. So I shall retire my good Gooners. 🙂

nite nite GLiC. Take care buddy.

nite Glc, I can see from your comments you have been listening to talkshite today 🙂

Hi TG, is your skiing holiday finaly over? 🙂

Agreed on Capoue and Isco – together they would be brilliant additions!

Thanks for the odds Vickers! 🙂

83. thegooner19 says:

LOL glic, never interpreted van Judas’ comment like that!

Yes TA, the ski vacation is over unfortunately. Fortunately, that means more time can devoted towards Arsenal and keeping up to date with the blog, games and transfer news!

Excellent news for BK, TG19. You have been missed. Are you planning on writing something soon?

Well done QPR. Fine away win at the Hawthorns . Yipeeeeee

86. thegooner19 says:

TA, I’ve got nothing on the horizon as of now. The majority of my posts have been in regards to my dissatisfaction of AW’s rotation tactics/promoting youth lately, but I think further negative articles will only deteriorate a delicate situation. As soon as something comes to mind, I’ll let you know. Maybe a game recap and player ratings after one of our games?

That would be great. There is tomorrow’s game and the one against the Chavs at the weekend, so I’d say; take your pick! 🙂

88. thegooner19 says:

TA, I should be able to recap tomorrow’s game vs. Swansea. Sunday’s a little busier with the NFL divisional championships also happening!

89. oz gunner says:

TG…NFL??? How could you?!

90. thegooner19 says:

Oz, growing up in NA has brainwashed me to enjoy a wide variety of sports. I follow 8 sports fairly in-depth but only 2-3 religiously (Football, Hockey and to a slightly lesser extent American Football). Plus, it’s Ray Lewis’ last year playing professional football and the man is an inspirational legend. 16 years at the top of one of the most physically demanding positions in the NFL is unheard of!

You’re telling me the Arsenal couldn’t use a motivational leader like this?

91. JM says:

Regarding Isco (and Malaga in general), they are excluded from participating in any UEFA club competition for its next qualifying season of the next four seasons. (due to the presence of significant overdue payables balances.)

In addition, Malaga will be excluded from a subsequent UEFA competition for which it would otherwise qualify (in the next four seasons) if it does not prove, by 31 March 2013, that it has no overdue payables towards football clubs or towards employees and/or social/tax authorities, in accordance with the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations.

Which means it is a situation that our club (and management) can “look into”.

A few players worth considering from Malaga: Isco(AM), Ignacio Camacho(DM), Nacho Monreal(LB), Jesus Gamez(RB).

So there … a AM, a DM, a LB and a RB … basically all four players could get into our club.

@VCC January 15, 2013 14:48

3-5-2 could be our alternate line-up and call for playing with 2 CFs upfront. With a back 3 of Mertesacker, Koscielny & Vermaelen (and Miquel as backup); wingbacks in Gibbs(Santos) and Sagna(Jenkinson); a choice of 3 CMs from a big group (Arteta, Wilshere, Diaby, Ramsey, Coquelin, Rosicky, Cazorla, AoC, Frimpong) and 2 CFs from the choices of Giroud, Podolski, Walcott, Gervinho.

@ TotalArsenal January 15, 2013 14:52

“I just feel that with 3-5-2 it can quickly become 5-3-2 with LM and RM becoming far too often/long the FB’s.”

3-5-2 could also become a 3-3-4 with the LW and RW support coming from our wide midfielders/wingbacks. In the 60% – 40% approach, the 2 wide players should become more important as they then take 20% each (they would cover the entire length on the flank/side of the pitch).
    This would also soften the impact of influence from the 1+3+3+2=9 players in the centre spine (60%), in that we could absorb the damage done should 1 or 2 players get an off-form day. And most of “centre spine” of players could play then afford to play less tentatively (w/o handbrakes) and express themselves more often. Thus, we would still be getting the better % closer to more than 50% overall influence in the game, which would lead to an increase to our chances of winning.

92. oz gunner says:

No question he is an inspiration and it does lift the hairs on the back of your neck, but i just don’t rate NFL in the slightest. The pads, the stop start game, the zero endurance aspect. A poor man’s rugby.

This is real men hitting each other

The best thing that’s come from the NFL is the terry tate videos, now there’s a man who could bring some motivation to our office staff and board

93. thegooner19 says:

Haha Oz, the Terry Tate vids were hilarious and seeing them as advertisements on TV was so unexpected and memorable.

There’s an allure to NFL football that can’t be explained by the “playing” style that you sum it up by. It certainly isn’t as physical or primal as rugby, but the organization, athleticism and talent that some of these players have is astounding. There’s too much chaos in rugby for me to enjoy it and I’m more drawn to the mental and tactical presence that comes into play in football. I’m a very analytical individual and I love when Brady, Manning etc. dissect an opposing teams’ defence or when Ray Lewis shifts the defensive formation to shut down the offence. It’s a constant tactical battle between coaches and teams and each must adjust to the other’s game plan. As for the atleticism aspect, when I see Adrian Peterson break tackles, juke defenders and run for 297 yards in one game or Calvin Johnson completely out jump his defender/dive and catch a pass with one hand, it’s just simply amazing. It’s certainly a much different game to rugby, but I think you’re selling the NFL short.

94. thegooner19 says:

@ JM, excellent news about Malaga and their financial situation, though I believe it will all be resolved by the end of the season. However, there’s no reason why a club like Arsenal couldn’t aid their situation and take advantage of some of the talent they’ve acquired over the past couple of seasons. Everyone knows of my infatuation with Isco, as I’ve been posting videos of him in the comments section of every article and featured him in my transfer targets article back in December. Also, I believe Monreal will soon be a world class LB and I’m very surprised Manure and Arsenal have not been linked to him in the tabloids.

95. JM says:

A read from an article from BR, by I.J. Yarison

[quote]In the days before Kroenke—the days when Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith was still on the board, the days before the death of Danny Fiszman, the days of David Dein—we had Englishmen and women, Londoners, local people extremely jealous for the club. Arsenal was not just a matter of business; Arsenal was about the now and the future, as well.

This jealousy led to planning for the future. But I doubt that were Fiszman still alive, this apparent turn to merely business in the guise of planning for the future would continue. Pride would not allow it. There is the pride of Londoners (southerners) against Northerners (the Manchester clubs), and there is the pride in terms of the control of the city.

It is such pride that leads a management to go the extra mile to do what is necessary to improve a club’s chances. This pride seems to be gone.

It cannot be recovered because the owner, for example, isn’t a footballing man. He cannot react to the sport the way he would to an American sport, say baseball or college football, something rooted in the culture itself.

For him, soccer is merely business. I can’t see that he’d be distressed about Arsenal losing to any of its rivals, whereas for a true footballing man, it is a thing of pride, a thing of tradition, never to lose to that “other” club.

It is such pride that led Manchester United to react to City winning its first Premiership title the way it did. Because of this pride, Manchester United can do anything to stop City from repeating the feat. Such a pride would prompt Arsenal to react to Chelsea being the first London club to win the Champions League.

As it happened, what was the management’s reaction? Weakening the squad, simply so that the club could recoup its money.[/quote]

96. oz gunner says:

No question there are a lot of tactics but athleticism is so much easier when it’s done in such short bursts. It is so media driven and like most things American it’s a spectacle. People are more excited to see the ads during the Superbowl as opposed to the game itself, and that says it all really.

They can run, side-step, break tackles, hit hard, and catch one handed but Australian Rules Footballers do all that without the breaks and on top of around 15-20kms a match

Great recruiting as always JM, we should definitely be looking to pounce whilst they need to offload players. It worked a treat with santi

97. oz gunner says:

god LG is a joke of a site! fans wanting us to get belted by Swansea and Chelsea so Arsene will leave. Fans suggesting we buy Shawcross because he is better than what we’ve got (apparently Per is a footballing fake). Jesus Christ I think i need a lie down.

98. Red Arse says:

Good mornibg, Chilli Willies, 😀

99. oz gunner says:

Top of the morning to you RA.

haha you are right, but it’s a good place to go and read a few things before you go to the gym. They definitely put fire in your belly.
    I expect a full English sent to oz pronto RA!

Morning chaps and chapesses.

Well the 64 dollar question……Are we going to win tonight?

Morning fine fellow G’s 🙂

Of course we are going to win VCC! 🙂

Please can I ask everyone kindly not to comment negatively about other blogs, or bloggers on other weblogs, on Bergkampesque. Sooner or later they find out and I want to avoid at all cost for things to get personal and vitriolic. Many thanks. 🙂

@VCC.. hehehe.. you really enjoying your ‘temporary crown’.. don’t you..?? hahaha..
    I enjoy the crowd.. hehehehe..

@Total.. We should have two team like American-football.. hehehe..
    One for attack and other for defence.. hahahaha..
    I like Lopez and M’villa.. but Gourcuff and Arfa will be okay also..

My prediction is almost the same with VCC.. in that 5 games..
    but I will not choose all the same games..
    I choose Newc-Reading, WHU-QPR and Wigan-Sunderland DRAW
    MU and Arsenal away win.. hehehehe..
    A very optimistic option.. isn’t it..?? hahahaha..

I also think Swansea and Everton will end draw.. But somehow I would like to see them lose..
    And also Spurs.. I prefer MU to win then Spurs have a point..
    We will never compete for EPL trophy.. it just to far away now.. the third is more reasonable.. and that means Spurs and Everton must not get a lot of point from nowaday.. hehehehe..

For us FA cup will be okay.. We will win it.. and of course it’s mean beat Swansea tonight..
    And for UCL.. we will be lucky enough if we can through the semifinal.. But who knows..??

103. oz gunner says:

@ VCC

it’s a sure thing!

@ TA

most certainly TA, can we still bag each other? 🙂

Henry, you are just addicted ro the Dutch ‘aanvallen!’ 🙂

Of course, Oz, our own lot is fair game! 🙂

106. oz gunner says:

@ Henry

Gourcuff a few seasons ago yes, but he is a shadow of the player he was before he injured his knee. We have better in the squad already.

@ Henry…….You must study hard to hang onto my Yellow Jersey shirt tail hehehe 😉

Oh to , OH TO BE, Oh To Be a , Yellow Jersey wearer. 🙂

Your odds Henry are = 423-1

Like most Gooners I,m a bit deflated at the moment. I/We need cheering up tonight. Fingers crossed we get a proper performance from our boys.

No walk in the park, but we should be able to overcome the Swans.

Transfer market looking a bit stale for us Gooners. What do we all think? Will he or Wont he?

Looks like QPR have acquired M’Villa and Loic Remy. Both players were at one time strongly linked to Arsenal Football Club.

We will have to watch this space.

COYG

109. Red Arse says:

Morning TA, 🙂

You made a good point earlier, and perhaps you can delete my jokey comment @ 7:22

110. Red Arse says:

I listened to the Arsene Wenger, Al Jezeera interview yesterday, and allowed myself to become enthused by the upbeat sounding tone.

Arsene, among other things said he would buy two top players as he had money to spend ‘big’. Yaay!!

This morning I read that the interview was 3 weeks ago before the T/W and he has reverted to the “we need to sort out Theo’s contract first (why?) and then we have players coming back from injury and I have a very big squad!

Oh, bollix! More Stop! Go! Stop! comments from Wenger.

If, in my work, I had a subordinate manager that reported one thing to me one day, and then another thing on another day, I might suggest he had been over promoted.

Vacillation in any manager — in football, or elsewhere, is not welcome.

111. glic says:

Morning Whisker Bicuits 😆

I posted that news about Malaga which JM posted earlier weeks ago, they dont call me Scoop for nothing and I see TG19 trying nick my bitch Isco ( fair enough he did introduce me to him on Bergkampesque speed dating ! ) !. hahaha

As I have said before, we can afford the likes of Isco, but it`s whether AW wants these players and as Redders rightly says, we cant buy them if their not for sale !. Although I believe a gentle prodding with a big wonga wedge may help !.

A bit more digging today, how convenient you bastards live too far away and in different countries not to help !. 👿

112. glic says:

Should have been * Biscuits *, but you know what I mean ! 🙂

Hi RA, I removed the comment, thanks for understanding (I have had to hold myself back on numerous ocassions recently from commenting about a site or a blogger on another site: it can be very tempting! 😈 🙂 )

I am as fed as you with the will he/won’t he get a player this January, especially combined with the ongoing media speculation on who we are supposedly after. Luckily we have football to distract us; this Summer it will be even harder without any football! 😦

114. Red Arse says:

Hi Glic, 🙂

That’s your answer to everything – just give it a prod with your big wonga!! Tsk. 👿

Morning Glic, good to see you taking the bastard so early in the morning! 🙂

116. glic says:

Is there an Emirates Cup this Summer ?.

117. glic says:

Morning BK Bastards hahahahahahahahaha

If so, Glicotrious, it will be just before kick-off of the new season: a bit of May, June and most of July will be football free.

119. Red Arse says:

Sometimes what seems funny at the time looks very un-funny later!

Anyway, it’s all Oz’s fault he is always leading innocents like me astray!! 🙂

I reckon, it is all that Aussie Rules, real mean squeeze your testicals for fun, business 😛

“Vacillation” indeed Red Arse.

I’m almost to the end of my tether with Wenger and the Arsenal bod.

As you say if you had a subordinate manager you would deal with it appropriately.

If I were to have acted in a similar manner and been tentative in my actions, we might just have had a shipping incident in the river Thames.

I wouldn’t mind if he came out and said “No, we are not going to invest in new players this January, we feel we have enough strength in our squad already” then we could all move on and deal with it how we see fit.

But to keep us all on tenterhooks is not good enough.

Even if he is adamant he will buy he could just say yes, but wait and see, so this would not give the game away to our opposition.

Infuriating is the word I’m trying to find.

122. Herb'sArmy says:

Morning Gooners.
    I blame TalkSPORT, Redders, and whoever produces Keys and Grays’ menu. If it was an interview from December, Keys and Gray can only have been using it as a programme-filler, whilst leading their listeners to believe it was an exclusive. Pure propaganda. Maybe they’re trying to restore some balance with some positive Arsenal news before Durham returns with the ‘Daily Arsenal’.

123. glic says:

Then we shall hold own Bergkampesque Cup somewhere, it will be BKUK vs BKOS (over seas) , but none of that Aussie Rules rough stuff !. Obviously we (BKUK) shall win as them BKOS are a load of banjo playing retarded hicksville muvvers and I`m the bestest old Messiesque player on here ( what did you expect me to say, I`m shite ! ) hahahaha

124. glic says:

Sorry, how could I forget, plus we have Zimmerdine Zimdane !.

I will play up front…..I like the full frontal jobs

126. glic says:

Morning Herbenstein 🙂

You have picked out my 2 favourite TS shows, K&G and Drive Time. You must embrace the legend Durham and I dont mean with your hands around Adrians throat !. hahaha

wow, that’s bad news about the helicopter smash in Vauxhall London.

128. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi GliC 🙂
    Durham makes a lot of valid points, but most Arsenal fans would rather pour scorn on him than debate the troubling issues that he raises.

@ Oz.. No player is guarantee success..
    Gourcuff is okay.. 26 yo is not an obstacle.. Look what RvP did..?? Lampard also..??
    As I ever said before.. even Wenger gathering all french players.. hehehehe.. it’s still fine for me.. as long as the player can increase our level..
    So if mvilla, gourcuff, ben arfa, debuchi, mbiwa, and so on come.. I will wellcoming all of them.. hehehe..

@ VCC.. Nothing is permanent my freind.. hehehe..
    Glic maybe will lead this week.. who nows..??

@TA.. Just tobe more realictic bro.. hehehehe..
    As long as we win tonight.. our future will still be bright.. hahahaha..
    Any news from TW..??

130. glic says:

Too many people get wound up by Durham and dont take him for what he`s worth, which imo is entertainment !.

For you BKOS boy`s and girl`s here`s a taste of Durham`s Daily Arsenal which is usually broadcast about 5:30pm Mon-Fri on TalkSPORT, you can listen on line !. Personally, he does make me laugh , so he gets a thumbs up from me !. What do you think ?.

TalkSHITE they are called Glic, but we live in a democracy so I let you be! 🙂

132. glic says:

He he henry. The only way I`m going to move up the table is if I predict the Clungechester clubs, Chavs and spuds to win and I cant bring myself to do that, I`d rather have a Piranha Penicure. I`ve just looked up this word on Wiki and it doesn`t exist, so yet again I have invented a new word. It`s the same as a pedicure or manicure, but for the Hampton !. I shall now start my own version of the Dictionary, called the ……Glictionary !. hahaha

133. glic says:

It`s obvious to me you haven`t been brainwashed enough Total !. hahaha

134. glic says:

Now stop side tracking me from my digging. I`m off as you keep getting me in trouble with the “trouble”!. She expects me to work on my days off !. 👿

Glictionary!! Brilliant your clever ‘clog’! 🙂

Hey guys, what’s happened to Syrup? He’s not very active lately is he?

GLiC, while it’s dry, you better go and dig some more holes.

137. Herb'sArmy says:

More importantly, Total, however distasteful you find it, is Durham telling lies?
    Just like JM’s 5:08am, it’s the elephant in the room that we’re forever being told to avoid, because if we don’t confront it, maybe it’ll disappear, or it won’t be true. So we look at anything/everything else and discuss it to death rather than admit Arsenal may have problems.

Herb, we all know Arsenal FC have problems. It’s how to solve them is the biggest headache.

New Post – New Post! 🙂

Herb, you can never talk football to death! 🙂

@glic.. hehehe.. I am not so extreem as you.. but I also like Chelsea, Everton and Spurs to lose.. If we win again Chelsea this week.. and I will be if we win tonight again Swansea.. and Everton lose to Soton and Spurs lose to MU.. then we can fight for the third at the end of this month.. hehehe.. We must win this game again Chelsea.. if we still eager to be on UCL next season.. moreover after we lost at emirates last day..

The ownership and their commitment to the club is far from ideal. It is what it is though and you and I cannot change it at all, Herb. 🙂

That is why I am not interested in discussing it continuously (I have written posts about it in the past, though).

They are not making us bankrupt and are fully acting within their legal rights of ownership. Yes, I would love Kroenke to be a fervent Arsenal supporter with real passion for the club, its history and what it stands for. But that is not the case: what are we going to do about it?

142. Gooner4eva49 says:

Really appreciate this post. Just great