With six British talents signed up is it not time for Bergkamp to join Arsenal?

media_xl_1116087

I am absolutely over the moon we signed up Theo for at least another 3.5 years. After Jenkinson, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlaine, Gibbs, and the biggest talent of them all, Wilshere, were contracted to the club for many years to come, it was important to hold on to Theo as well. Wenger is entering a new era now in which he will be given time to develop these six into the core of a team that should be able to go all the way.

Two full backs, three midfielders and a winger/striker. And we could still see another Englishman added to the team before the end of the month. It would make sense to also sign up Zaha, a self-confessed Arsenal supporter, and make it seven Brits on long term contracts at Arsenal.

Of course, there is also still Frimpong to be considered: will he make it, or not? I hope he will as he has all the right characteristics, although he still has a lot to learn.

On top of the above mentioned players, we have all our important players signed up for at least a couple more years, if not more. So, we should now enter a period of stability and growth. The good thing about combining early twenty year old fine and promising talents with experienced mid to late twenty year old players, is that success does not have to take a long time necessarily. Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Podolski, Gervinho, Arteta, Sagna, Giroud, Koz, Cazorla will want success now, and  I reckon this will combine very nicely in the next two to three years.

And in addition to the above, there are a few very good non-British talents coming through: Coquelin, Gnabry, Eisfeld, Miguel, etc; and some more British talents might come through as well in the next few years. And of course, we have our Pole in Goal who is still young but has established himself as our nr.1 goal keeper now.

The seemingly obvious thing to do now is to get an inspirational coach to work with all these young talents. Other than the full backs, all newly signed-up Brits are strongly attack-minded players, and it would be good to have a Master-coach to guide them technically,  tactically and mentally/professionally towards their full potential.

I don’t think Steve Bould is the man for this; his job lays elsewhere; and I reckon  Wenger needs more support. I am also a big believer in a Master-Apprentice learning and development approach, and for that we would need a top class player, who everybody respects and who has coaching capabilities.

Bergkamp-1

At the moment, there is nobody who would fit the bill better than Dennis Bergkamp.

If he were to join Arsene as one of Arsene’s coaches it would give the whole club a lift. Just imagine how much the likes of Wilshere, Ox, Ramsey and Theo – and hopefully Zaha – could learn of the former Dutch Master. On top of that, he would be a very good coach for Giroud, who, I am sure, would love to get guidance from Bergkamp.

Maybe there are other options. Is it maybe time for Arsene to sign up Henry or Pires as one of his coaches? They have not got ‘the batch’ yet, but they would still be fantastic in guiding our precious talents to dizzying heights.

To me it would make perfect sense to try and get Bergkamp to come and coach all our talents. Get yourself some help Arsene, and bring back to us our godly hero!

Written by: Total Arsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to With six British talents signed up is it not time for Bergkamp to join Arsenal?

Makes perfect sense Total. Get Bergkamp on board now. He can look after the attacking side and Bould can look after the defensive side. Job done.

What a lift/boost getting Bergkamp would be. Can you imagine how it would be like being one of our youngsters coming into training every day and seeing God putting out the cones and knowing you had a treat in store every day, WOW. And they call it work….Huh.

It may also temp Zaha, as I’m sure, being a Gooner himself, he knows all about the great man.

Side note, its a shame we let Bartley go so early. Could have been another young Brit. onboard

Afternoon VCC:)

Fully agreed on Bartley – he looked really good recently and seems a great guy as well.

3. mint says:

Good shout, I couldn’t agree more. We all love Steve Bould at the Arsenal but I don’t think he’s the man for the job. Berkamp would be an excellent addition to the coaching staff, he loves the club and living in London so hopefully in the near future we’ll see him come home to us.

4. Reece says:

It makes sense for us. But for bergkamp? He’s currently the assistant at ajax. A team with a lot of potential. Whether he would want to take a lessor role at us is another question.

Hi Mint, I reckon Bould, Bergkamp and Wenger would cover everything, and Dennis could take over at one point.

6. Dzzz says:

Absolute no brainer ! One of the best central defenders we’ve ever had coaching the backline and the dutch master coaching the midfield and frontline . get him now!

7. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi Total, the great man could/would only be an asset to the club, plus he’s had the benefit and experience of a good education at Ajax, a club we have been likened to down the years.
    It’s only an instinct, and I could be miles wide of the mark, but I think there’s a hint of bad chemistry between Mr Wenger and Bergkamp. I could see Bergkamp coaching at Arsenal one day, but maybe not under the current manager. Just my gut feeling, nothing more.

8. Gerry Lennon says:

The key question is whether Arsene is prepared to share his role? If he were thinking of moving upstairs in 2014, then it might make sense to him to have his successor on board now?

9. The BearMan says:

Very good call! Sad to see Pep not being being Wenger’s replacement.

But Bergkamp and Henry working alongside Wenger will spell progress on the coaching front for Arsenal. Both these eX’s have the vision, intelligence and experience Arsenal n Wenger can do with urgently!

Hi Herb,

I can see where you are coming from; it is strange how little either seem to say about each other in public. It just makes soooo much sense, and yet is not happening….. strange! 😕

11. The BearMan says:

How was it ever possible Wenger never saw Bartley’s potential?

Good point Gerry: that is the big question (see also response to Herb’s comment).

Hi Bearman, would not mind Henry either but reckon Dennis is well-ahead of him now, with his experience and time away from football.

14. shaggy says:

I’d have both of them side by side !! Bould can bring a lot to the party trust me. Bergkamp is at Ajax and doing things there.. He would love to link up with Arsenal when he has finished what he has started at Ajax. By that time bould would have learnt a lot from Wenger and have the respect from the players needed at this Level remembering bould brought most of the new crop through the youth system so they hold him in high regard already… but it is true he has a lot to learn but he would be first to agree with that !!
    Bergkamp is the Ice man nothing fazes him nothing at all look at what he has done at Ajax with the training etc !! his term as number two with Ajax will give him everything he needs to eventually take over from Wenger… I feel Bould would always be better number 2 than number 1 as he hates the cameras the pressure… but him and bergkamp are a great team to look forward too….. Wenger will sign a new contract for 5yrs then moving onto the board and Bergkamp ready …. My dream one and two after Wenger would be Bergkamp and Henry !! exactly DREAM that is all will ever be !! but we can hope !! 😛

15. Steve says:

I think you will find that Tierry is lined up for that, could happen this summer. May even be a shift in the ownership of Arsenal and I think that would be good also, at least the Russian would be at games supporting the team unlike the situation now.

All agreed Shaggy – thanks for a fine comment. 🙂

Hi Steve, you seem pretty convinced about Thierry being lined up: what are your thoughts on this?

18. oz gunner says:

Well said TA, it’d be a dream seeing God back at the club. I’m very shocked Football teams don’t do it more often. Managers and other coaches can lack the ability to relate to the modern day player, especially one who has been out of the game for so long. Bringing in old-players (don’t even have to be ex-arsenal players) as development coaches could/would help immensely. Squads are big and Arsene can’t be everywhere at once, so what better way to guide players than by bringing in my eyes in the form of dennis, henry, pires, campbell ect.
    I’m sure old players would love it as it gives them a chance to build their resume’ and put their foot in the door to coach in the future. Learn under Arsene, world class players, world class facilities…sign me up Arsene I’m ready!

My football team is Oz signed three development coaches over the Summer, the players love it, coaches love it. Arsenal should be doing it too!
    Here’s an example:

19. RockyLives says:

Greetings People
    Any role for God back at THOF would be good. Maybe he’s just biding his time…

Some predictions for today:

Pool v Naaarch D
    Manc Oilers v Harrods H
    Toon v Reading D
    Chavs v Mighty Arse A
    Spuds v ManUre A

20. oz gunner says:

bugger wrong one, here it is!!!

21. NutnTiddy says:

And how is Bergkamp going to get to games abroad…he will not fly. If this could be overcome yes, I would love to see him at Arsenal.

22. glic says:

Afrternoon Stench Trenches 😆

Who wouldn`t want God back ! . I can just imagine God walking back in the Arsenal dressing room on his first day back, taking one look at Girouds Hampton and Gervinho`s head and saying . ” Jesus f**king Christ get me on a plane ! ” hahaha

23. glic says:

Vics
    I`m quite happy to leave it to the Reading game, didn`t realize how close that Brighton one is and it`s my Grand Daughters 5th birthday party that day !.

24. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi Total,
    Love the pic you have included. That goal he scored against the Argies is my favourite Bergkamp goal of all time. I still remember watching that game in the wee hours of the morning with my old man and as the ball was crossed in mid air i turned and said “Dad, watch the magic happen”, and magic it was 🙂 My old man is still cut about that world cup, and believes it should have been a Holland v Croatia final.

I agree with the sentiments of many others. Who wouldnt want Dennis Bergkamp back? I would love him back, just having his presence around our young players would do wonders. But i would like to know, in which capacity are you referring to? If Bould is Arsenes current number 2 where would that put Dennis? Personally i think Dennis is too good to be placed in the shadows…

@Oz, love that vid at 13.24, always good to see a Kangaroo copping a falcon 😆
    Do you honestly believe that the bonding sessions in Utah will help your cause? 8th at best

25. Red Arse says:

Hi Fellows and Fellowettes, 🙂

Just popped in to thank the Prince for doing my UMF predictions, and to praise The Clog, for another smashing Post.

Yes indeed, we need to give the ‘new’ Theo a chance to settle down again. Of course, a hat trick against Chelsea would not hurt!

I wrote a Post for AA a few days ago, published today, and it took me only 5 minutes to type, so if you read it, don’t think too badly of me! 🙂

Hope to be back to chat later.

26. The BearMan says:

With Wenger making is “BiG” signing this week. Not Messi or Cavani but Walcott, do he have funds left in the petty cash tin?

He, Wenger is flapping about Diaby I guess that is it for the season now??

27. glic says:

Read your fine post Redders on other site and is sort of answered by on this site, guess who ?.

” And on the seventh day he made made beautiful football ! “

28. GoonerB says:

Excellent article TA and I fully agree with your suggestion. DB has a wealth of experience in different leagues and coming through the famous Ajax academy himself he can bring the total football coaching approach to us. Unless I am wrong this was the precursor to the current Barca academy which I think was largely initiated by Cruyff.

The only problem is that like Herb I had heard that AW and Dennis don’t always see eye to eye. I don’t recall where I heard this but if it were true it would be a shame.

1-0 Rangers…Come on you super HOOPS

30. Steve says:

I think that our Russian friend has a ‘surprise up his sleeve’ in buying out our American stay away owner, a good move for the Arsenal I think. If that happens then I feel sure one thing will change as the Russian has been courting Tierry for some months, due to his close friendship with Snr.Wenger Tierry could work well with Wenger. With the young squad Tierry would give them so much, it would be awesome.

31. thegooner19 says:

Afternoon to all you BK beauties and glic haha,

Top stuff as always TA. I agree with everything you said and believe that the most important part of Theo re-signing is the squad continuity we’ll finally see. Over the next two years, we’ll see our key players signed and this squad has a chance to grow together and achieve something. There was too much uncertainty clouding the futures of so many players in past years that it certainly had a negative effect on our squad’s morale and performances on the pitch.

As for DB10 coming back, I agree with everyone else; who wouldn’t want him back? The legend is a complete footballer and developing as a manager in one of the best academies at producing talents in the world. His example of technical ability and versatility could certainly knock Theo into his place! However, I am not completely familiar with his coaching style at Ajax. Together with someone like Bould, I’m concerned that the Arsenal coaching staff will be too stoic and lose that motivating, paternal touch that AW provides.

32. thegooner19 says:

Also, latest reports have us linked to a Belgian steely midfielder from Ligue 2, Gilbert Imbula, with an £8 million bid. Ligue 2 player with a lot of untapped potential? That seems more like AW’s style…

33. Red Arse says:

I was gossiping with about 3 female visitors, and one of the came up with a list drawn up by the Women’s Institute, or some such.

I wonder which one Mrs Glic, or Mrs Terry would recognize?? 😀

9. Remembers where he left his teeth
    10. Remembers that it’s the weekend

What I Want in a Man,

Revised List (age 72)

1. Still Breathing
    2. Doesn’t miss the toilet

Age is not always the main criteria. 🙂

thegooner19…….That would make sense, considering Wenger’s record. He will go for the cheap option.

35. alexgunners says:

TA, great post once again. It would be excellent to bring in Bergkamp as part of the coaching staff of The Arsenal. A lot of wisdom can be passed onto the younger players by the great one himself. These guys are hungry for success and I would believe that it would be inspirational not only to the but to as us fans as well.

@VCC and TA.
    It was a shame to let Bartley go. He was very promising and definitely a great guy as well. I met him and Jenks in Hong Kong last year when we played Kitchee FC. Both wonderful guys and they were more than happy to have a chat, take photos and sign our tops.

36. JM says:

DB to return as 1st team coach, alongside Primorac and Banfield. (In the long run, he would replace Primorac eventually). Bould remains as assistant manager.

DB enjoys the coaching part of the game more than the managing part. His current coaching contract with Ajax expires on 30 June 2013.

37. The BearMan says:

Having read the list of the wants from your 3 women friends RA, that is easy to find on any match day after an Arsenal victory.

38. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi JM,
    Boro and Wenger are very tight knit. That is why i asked TA where he saw Dennis’ role to be if he was to return. IMO, the day Boro stands down is the day that Arsene also calls it a day. They have been through thick and thin, from the early days of match fixing and corruption in France through to the invincibles and beyond. He is and always will be Arsenes’ go to man and i cant see that partnership ever being broken. Just my opinion…

alex…..I watched Bartley play for Rangers and was really pleased we had a young big English centre half coming up through the ranks. Especially after being upset with recent CB we had performing for us.

I was amazed when I see Wenger had released him, and for a pittance as well. I’m still scratching my head when you see the likes of Squillaci still on our books.

40. glic says:

Hahaha Redders, but who cares what women want ?.

Too picky !.
    This would be Stretche`s list :

1) Is there a hole ?
    2) as above !

Stretches women dont have to be any of the following :

1) Breathing
    2) Alive
    3) A Woman
    4) A Human
    5) An Animal

As long as it`s something !. Example : The wooden box which he had his favourites Cat Tiddles ashes in, he drilled a hole in the side of the box !.
    I even put some fake fur around the exhaust pipe of his car and watched through my night vision goggles as he sneaked out at night and roggered his Ford Escort Mk1. hahaha

41. alexgunners says:

VCC,
    It is hard to understand why we get rid of Bartley but we still have the squid.
    Another player that we have sold off for nothing, when we could have gotten more value out of him playing for us.

Guys, had to be away this afternoon, so apologies for not responding to your fine comments until now. I will do so in the course of the afternoon/evening through comments in the new post. 🙂

New Post – New Post.

Oz, has just saved us all a couple of pounds. No need to buy a Sunday paper to read up on the game!

Are you ready for a feast for the eyes, a multi-media bombardement of everything Arsenal, and a battle cry that will chill even the most robust of Highlanders! 😛

44. glic says:

Did you guys see that Total was trying to be sneaky and tried to hide New Post in his last comment !.

NEW POST !.

😆 not fast enough Glicky 😛

46. Red Arse says:

Was that NEW POST, Glicster? 😛

47. glic says:

Yes Redders , thats New Post and not to be confused with Newel Post, which is a post on a set of stairs ! 😀

Belated response to comments:

PPP: Wenger should have both as assistants – one to focus on defending the other on attacking, and of course working closely together, as a pair, and with Wenger. No need for an official nr.2 in my view.

Alex/VCC: Shame about Bartley, but maybe there is a buy-back clause in his contract?!

TG19 – You said: ‘Together with someone like Bould, I’m concerned that the Arsenal coaching staff will be too stoic and lose that motivating, paternal touch that AW provides.’

Interesting point of view. Are the players missing Pat Rice’s warmth and ‘stoic’ skills at the moment? You might be right…

GoonerB, it would be good if we knew how the relationship between Arsene and Dennis really is. I would also like to know why there is statue for Henry (one of favourite players ever) but not for Bergkamp….