Five Arsenal positives for the rest of the season

wenger_2878183

As our anxiety is growing bigger and bigger, with only three days left till the transfer window shuts again and, as yet, not a single purchase made, I thought it would be good to look at the areas in which Arsenal have made progress over the last few months.

I have said in previous posts that, whether we like it or not, Arsenal are going through a major period of transition again this season. Transitions take time and are hard to speed up; and they come with pain and disappointment as well as occasional joy and promise of what could lay ahead for us. Liverpool and the Chavs are going through a major transition, and the Spuds are always going through one! πŸ˜›

As football supporters, we are always inclined to respond to the here and now; heavily influenced by the performance and result of the last (few) game(s). But, it is also important to look at how things are for Arsenal structurally, and there are strong signs now that our team is getting better in terms of scoring goals and midfield dominance. Our one area of major concern is the defensive side of the team, and I will zoom in on this area in a future post.

Here are five Arsenal positives for the remainder of the season:

1. Scoring goals: RedNose has recently hailed his strike-force as the best ever. Well at Β£24m per year in salaries for van Judas and Shrek alone, he would certainly hope so. Yet, MU have only scored three more goals in all competitions than Arsenal this season: 76 compared to 73 for us. Our four highest scorers: Walcott (17), Giroud (13), Podolski (11) and Cazorla (8) have scored only one goal less than the Mancs top four goal scorers: Van Judas (22), Hernandez (14), Rooney (10) and Cleverley (4). Walcott and Giroud have scored 30 goals and are closing in fast on the β€˜super-duo’ of Van Judas and Shrek, who have only scored two goals more. Our attackers are starting to gel now and are likely to become even more productive in the next few months.

2. The Theo Walcott effect: Since Theo was β€˜reinstalled’ in the team again – ten games ago against Southampton away – Arsenal have scored 2.5 goals per game. By contrast, every time Van Judas led the line for us during the last two seasons, we never managed to score more than 1.95 goals per game on average, over a sustained period. There has been a positive psychological impact as a result of Walcott becoming a starter again and subsequently signing a new contract, and he has also added a much needed extra dimension to our attacking play. The partnership of Theo and Ollie is a very promising one, as together they have all the attacking attributes you could dream of.

3. Return to fitness of midfielders: the return to full fitness of Rosicky and Diaby has come at the right time. With Arteta picking up an injury, and Jack and Santi needing to be rested more regularly now that the big, crucial games come thick and fast, it is great to have quality and experienced players like Rosicky and Diaby available again. Add to that the progress being made by Coquelin, and a surprisingly good performance by Ramsey in Arteta’s anchorman role, and there is reason to be hopeful that we are finally starting to get full value out of the quality of players we have available for our midfield positions. We still need a beast of a DM, though! πŸ˜‰

On top of that, JW10 has finally been played in β€˜the hole’ position, and what a difference he has made in those games. We now have at least two options in this pivotal role: Jack and Santi, and we all know that Rosicky can give both of them a break as well.

4. The Gibbs-Podolski partnership: this is getting better and better. I have said before, they look like brothers on the pitch: there is a natural understanding between them, and their style of football and running look very similar. Podolski is quickly growing into this season’s king of assists and he has also scored a good number of goals already: eleven in total of which seven in the PL. Gibbs excellent runs and wing-play allow Podolski to move closer to the box, where the German can be most dangerous for us. Podolski has been demonstrating some great crossing skills recently as well, and I am hoping that Gibbs will learn from him fast; as this remains one of Kieran’s main areas of improvement. The longer these two play together the stronger they will become, and I reckon they will play a big part in the remainder of the season for us.

5. Vermaelen is coming good again: The Belgium Rottweiler has found his form again recently and is starting to lead by example once more. I still think the best thing for Wenger to do is hand the armband to either Mertesacker, Arteta, Szczesny or even Jack, and allow Thomas to be himself again and do what he does best: focus on defending and terrorise the opposition.

In Jack, TV5 has found a fellow extrovert leader on the pitch, and I reckon that since Jack’s full return to the first-team, Thomas has started to play a lot better by concentrating on his own game a lot more. We are desperate for at least one of our CB’s to play at their best, and with both Koz and BFG going through a bit of a form-crisis, we need TV5 to keep on going, and improving further.

Clearly, the defence is our biggest worry at the moment, and I am hoping that Wenger and Bould will be getting this area right for us as soon as possible now too. The purchase of a solid, disciplined and experienced DM could also really help in that department. Part of me wants us to buy another, quality CB: somebody in the mould of Sol Campbell. But another part of me remains confident that Koz, TV and BFG can between them sort things out. Let’s hope they do!

Written by: Total Arsenal.

97 Responses to Five Arsenal positives for the rest of the season

If all entries are in for the UMF1 before KO tonight my selections are =
    Reading v Chavs….away
    MU v Soton …………home
    Norwich v Spurs……draw
    AV v Newcastle U…away
    QPR v MC………….. draw

Total…Fine menu for the day, 5 positives.

1…Goals for column. I much prefer goals being spread throughout the team, as it is now, rather than last season when we had Van Judas taking all the glory.

2… Theo has grown some balls this season. He is no push over any more. If he can improve his crossing when on the wing, and gain more experience when playing up front, he could be the difference turning us into winners. Fingers crossed.

3..Fitness rears its ugly head again. We all have our own theories here. Mine is in the AW runs them into the ground camp. I would use the occasional substitution rotating method. Ease some of our second string/youngsters in.

4…Gibbs-Podolski partnership doing fine. My worry is, what will happen when the glass breaks?

5…Vermaelen. I agree totally, take the Captaincy away so he can get back to concentrating on his own game. AW to buy a top CB to partner him.

= SIMPLES.

3. richie59er says:

10k comment eh excellent! I’ve come up with a Glicster style solution to halve the time of the next 10k after each comment start commenting oh! A ha! really? Well I never etc etc πŸ˜†

Hi Richie and VCC πŸ™‚

Quiet start to the day – all the fire works went off last night, obviously! πŸ™‚

VCC, good point about the glass breaking risk. We have the option to move TV in the LB role and play a more natural winger, Gervinho, on the LW. Maybe Arsene should train up Miguel to play on the LW occasionally. The boy needs to play regular footie now and could be our stand in at CB and/or LB.

6. richie59er says:

Regarding our defence I was really disappointed that Arsene didn’t keep Bartley I though a tall strong no-nonsense centre half could’ve suplimented BFG, TV5, and Kos particularly well. In fact seeing him lined up against us playing for the Swans didn’t change my mind, although I’m very reluctant to criticise Arsene because every single player he’s let go from the youth set up hasn’t amounted to anything worth while. There’s been a lot of those same kids that have turned pro but never really been anything more than lower division level types. I thought Bartley was ahead of Miguel in terms of defending although Miguel can play out from the back calmly. If we could capture Capoue the lift it would give the fans would be massive, the lift it would give the team and the club as a whole would probably be enough to carry us over the 4th spot line and so justify the expense. Here’s hoping!

UMF league predictions: draws for Everton, Fulham, Norwich, Villa, and QPR.

Richie, agreed re Bartley. I thought he was very composed and professional against us, and did not seem to bare any grudges against us. I like Miguel too and the sooner he can start games the better in my view. πŸ™‚

All agreed re Capoue (or Wanyama) as well. Our TW dealings go as fast as dikke stront as the Dutch saying goes. The sooner it is Friday the better in my view. Luckily we have a good game tomorrow! πŸ™‚

Hi VCC,

If not everybody manages to submit a UMF league, which I guess will be highly likely, we could hold a competition just among those who did take part midweek. The winner will be name checked in the following post! πŸ™‚

10. richie59er says:

My only concer is Etienne Capoue is already 24 and Arsene likes to bring players in much younger so they convert to the Arsenal way far quicker, although recently he has broken with that slightly.

11. richie59er says:

Sh** where’s my “n” in concern? Look at that 2 comments in one already! πŸ™‚

Total…..Good idea about the UMF 1. I have noted all submitted entries so far. I am waiting for Rocky/GLiC/TMHT/Herb/Oz/TheGooner/RedArse. That’s a lot of guys and I am not confident all will pass by before KO tonight.

If I don’t get a full show its not fair to count it on the running board. So we can just see who gets the most in a one off.

Can you represent RedArse for this one please. Maybe do as I did with Alex, and do a draw from a bowl.

richie59er…..I too liked Bartley. I see him a while back and he stood out with the youngsters then went off to Rangers and did really well before picking up an injury.

Along with Lansbury I think those two were unlucky to be moved on. Time will tell.

Lansbury had another string to his bow, he could act as an emergency keeper. He was not shabby at all.

14. Arse Red says:

UMF:

Chelsea
    Totts
    Fulham v Hammers Draw
    City
    Toon

Total 13:23. Miquel is not a left back for me. We need to be looking towards getting another cover for Gibbs before he breaks. Meade is a bit of a rookie atm.

Richie…did we ever doubt it?

Richie, Richie, where did he say no buys? Remember he is a shrewd negotiator and anything can still happen on Thursday. I genuinely beleive if it does not happen, it will be because no quality player was available at an acceptable price. Let’s wait and see! πŸ™‚

Oh, and Capoue at 24 is the perfect age for Arsene, and in line with recent signings (as you said yourself). He can be sold on at a profit in 3 years time, or kept and become of one our heroes.

VCC, I know he is not a natural left back, but neither was Flamini and it worked out well for us as cover. I just cannot see us buy a quality LB when Arsene clearly sees Gibbs as his nr.1 there now. Good point about Meade.

20. The Gooner says:

Hi Everyone,

I won’t be able to stay for long as I am off to the doctor with some severe back pain. However, I will get back to PPP, alex and Gerry from the previous article and to you TA on what I’m sure is another great article. As far as my UMF League predictions, they are as follows:

Man $hitty away win
    Newcastle away win
    Chel$ea away win
    Spuds away win
    Swansea away win

If I still have a 6th pick: Stoke vs. Wigan draw

Hi TG,

Sorry to hear about your back. Take it easy matey! πŸ™‚

Hi VCC,

If I detach any emotion and use some of Redders’ logic I come to the following predictions for him:

MU home
    Everton home
    Man City away
    Chelsea away
    Spuds draw

Total …Arse Red submitted entries…..Am I missing something here? Is that not Red Arse?

We only have TMHT, Rocky, Herb,Oz and GLiC to come. So maybe it will not be in vain.

TheGooner. Take it easy Amigo, watch that back. Stop skiing and start tiddly winks πŸ™‚

You still have three more entries x 6. Good luck.

Total odds……575-1
    Arse Red ? odds……..33-1
    TheGooner ods……….99-1

Calling Rocky….GLiC…Herb….Terry…Oz… submit before midnight tonight please. Cheers guys.

midnight = KO tonight. Sorry.

VCC, I have no idea who Arse RED is, but looking at the avatar it must be OZ. πŸ˜•

Yes I see that now Total. He’s a tinker. So that just leaves TMHT/GLiC/Herb/Rocky. 4 to go we might just make it. 3 hours to go. We might lose out on Rocky.

Where is Herb btw. He has been quiet?

Oz you are a πŸ‘Ώ you made me 😳 😦 πŸ˜† :D:

29. Red Arse says:

Good Evening, children of the Blog! πŸ™‚

Total, how do you come up with such fascinating Post subjects. Very good read! πŸ˜€

Red Arse….your energetic this evening.

Good to see you back Reddinski! πŸ˜›

VCC, I have emailed GLIC, RL, and HERBster. I will do Terry as well.

32. RockyLives says:

Have snuck out of my conference to offer some predictions…

QPR v N. Oilers – A
    Villa v Toon – D
    Stoke v Wigan A
    Manure v Soton – H
    Fulham v Wham – D

You are a star Rocky – and fast, I give you that! πŸ™‚

34. Red Arse says:

If you ‘do’ Terry as well, be careful — he is a virgin — just ask Glicster!! πŸ™‚

35. Red Arse says:

VCC,

Now tell me — are you saying Rasp is energetic, or are you referring to me? πŸ™‚

Redders πŸ˜€

Terry a virgin hahaha

37. Red Arse says:

You don’t believe all his moon shine do you? πŸ™‚

Rocky your a hero.

39. Red Arse says:

Speaking of which, Clog Master, why have we gone all italic?

I thought I was on an artistic site when I tuned in!! πŸ™‚

Red Arse you Sir. ..How are you Amigo?

Redders, I have not got a kalou!

It happened from one morning to the next. I have also difficulties in uploading pictures into posts at the moment! I reckon it is a wordpress sort of problem…

Herbie baby…..talk to us. πŸ˜€

Rocky’s odds = 61-1

43. Red Arse says:

How strange, TA, and yet it has the same Theme: Customized Vigilance by The Theme Foundry.”, as previously!! How mysterious!! πŸ™‚

44. The Gooner says:

Another fantastic article on a wonderful site. The positivity in your tone and articles is always uplifting and I’m more confident in our team (as is) when reading your work. I’m rather heavily medicated right now, so perhaps my compliments and writing will be overly optimistic hahaha!

I can’t stress enough how happy I was when Theo finally signed da ‘ting. I couldn’t commit to liking or showing faith in him when he was unwilling to commit his future to Arsenal. Just re-watching some of his curling shots for goals is fantastic and you can tell the lad has quality and the best is yet to come for him.

I think once everyone steps back and evaluates the team and realizes that we’re actually transitioning more than three new faces into the squad, they’ll be amazed that we were able to even string together wins in the first half! Jack, Diaby, Giroud, Santi and Podolski (all key players in our set-up) are all basically playing with the rest of the team for the first time! Hopefully, the performances we’ve strung together the last two games will continue and we’ll develop some semblance of consistency going forward. A new face or two, especially at DM and LB would certainly go a long way in helping us compete at multiple fronts (EPL, FA Cup and CL).

45. Red Arse says:

I’m fine, VCC, thanks. Just a bit tired from hanging around the hospital most of the day,

Even if you were not well before hand, aimlessly hanging around waiting areas and being passed from pillar to post can exhaust you!! πŸ™‚

There should be a law against it!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚

46. The Gooner says:

Also VCC and TA, thank you for wishing me well. You gentlemen are far too kind!

47. The Gooner says:

@ Alex from yesterday’s article:

You’re welcome mate! Thank you very much for the kind words and I’m very happy that you thoroughly enjoyed the article.

I agree with everything you stated and that training and cameo appearances are not enough game time for our substitutes. If we continue down such a path, we’ll continue to see our academy suffer and there will be a lack of adequate talent coming through the ranks. In effect, we will start having to be more ambitious in the transfer market to compensate and this will be a significant shift away from what we pride ourselves on.

Very strange indeed. πŸ˜•

What is your view on the transfer window: dead or still alive?

The Gooner…..well your a good judge of character with me, but I’m afraid you may have Total slightly wrong. After all, he did teach GLiC all he knew. πŸ˜†

50. glic says:

Evening Rusty Curtain Flaps πŸ˜†

Just got in and found an email from Total Van Cloggwinkel for the UMF, so here are my predictions for the next two nights.

Tea Baggies

George Michael & Andrew Ridgeley

Erectile Dysfuntioners

Newchateau

Quickly Penetrated Rectum

All to win

What`s the odds BetVic ?

Talking of which, I see some poor bastard got fatally hit on the head by a William Hill Betting sign that fell in Camden !. What were the odds of that happening ?.

Will read post later. Exercise calls !.

You’re the man too, GLIC! πŸ™‚

52. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi All.
    UMF Selections
    Aston Villa v Newcastle – draw
    QPR v Man City – draw
    Arsenal v Liverpool -draw
    Norwich v Tottenham -away win
    Reading v Chelsea – away win

53. Red Arse says:

I wrote on AA, a slightly jocular comment, which I actually think has some merit on the current transfer situation.

If AW had wanted to sign Diame, he could easily have done so, as the price is known and WHam have no choice in it, and I am sure the player would be only too delighted to sign.

My own view is that he is trying to negotiate for a ‘better’ player, but I guess Arsene’s negotiation model is to bid Β£8m for a player that the selling club want to receive Β£15m for, and then leave it till near the deadline hoping the sellers’ nerve breaks and they agree to the deal.

If they don’t crumble, then, depending on how we do against ‘Pool tomorrow, he can either say ‘sod it’ and wait until the summer, or go back to WHam and snap up Diame — provided QPR or Chelsea or Spurs have not beaten him to it!!

AW needs to be a good poker player!! πŸ™‚

GLiC =
    Tea Baggies = WBA
    George Michael & Andrew Ridgeley = ?
    Erectile Dysfuntioners = ?
    Newchateau = Newcastle United
    Quickly Penetrated Rectum = QPR = Good Boy

It was a win double with the day before a guy being held down in a bookies trying to rob it and he died whilst being refrained. What’s the odds on that double ?

hI TG, I am also still amazed that he actually signed da ting. I was convinced he was on his way out. If we had signed a beast of a DM by now but sold Theo I would not be a happy boy by now.

Also agreed re the impact of the transition. I also feel that Arsene did not make much of a transition during the previous season, but just somehow saw us through with an emergency plan. As a result, we see a big transition taking place this season, and as the defence is not settled at all yet, I reckon more is still to come.

Herb, you are the man, three!! πŸ™‚

Thanks for the quick response.

I like the sound of that RA, and I reckon you are right. πŸ™‚

58. The Gooner says:

Glic, by exercise I assume you mean strokes to Isco ;). Restraining order’s got nothing on you hahaha!

Cheers Herb. Your odds are 110-1.

That just leaves Merry Terry.

Fine work on behalf of AFC. Wenger sends Dick Law and Ivan Gazidis to Spain to purchase Isco and David Villa.

They come back with a Villa next to a disco. πŸ˜€ typical.

haha Vickers πŸ™‚

Glic, do you have Terry’s mobile number? If so, can you text him to submit his UMF prediction pretty pronto?! πŸ™‚

61. The Gooner says:

@ Gerry from yesterday’s article:

Interesting views on Arshavin, and as I eluded to earlier no one but Wenger and the Arsenal team know what is currently going on with him and why the situation has become so toxic. There could be a multitude of factors at play and we all know he has quality, it’s just a matter of determination with him.

I haven’t been impressed with M’Vila since after the Euros. His hissy fit after being substituted out, in addition to his numerous off-field transgressions place a serious question mark on him and may attract unnecessary bad publicity to our team (had we signed him). He also showed up to Rennes this year quite unfit and out of form, and struggled early on to even start for them. I’ll monitor his progress at Rubin Kazan to see if he matures and improves as a footballer, since his development has been rather stagnant since cracking the French national team.

Waiting until the summer is not the worst alternative to sign a DM, especially if we have to pay over the odds to get ones that we truly want. However, in respect to preventing injuries, it would be more beneficial to get one in and bed them into the squad to immediately. Also, we all know how a reliable DM can open up the offensive players up front and unlock more creativity.

As far as the Beckham signing, I don’t think it’d be a good idea. As much as it’d be a great morale boost for the squad to have a legend in the team, what kind of signal would AW be giving to the club and its fans by not signing Henry on loan first? Also, we have plenty of midfielders and Beckham’s days at playing out wide are well behind him; despite his fantastic crossing, he no longer has enough pace to play there.

The Todger has picked these so i expect a full house

Arsenal 5-0
    Norwich 5-0
    Fulham
    Utd
    Villa – Newcastle draw

63. glic says:

Vics

George Michael & Andrew Ridgeley = Wham = West Ham

Erectile Dysfunctioners = South Hampton….geddit !. hahaha

64. glic says:

Thanks for a quality post Total Van Cloggwinkel . πŸ™‚

Personally, I`m not anxious as I dont expect a signing, especially a ” Super Quality Iscoesque” type. If we do, I should imagine it would be someone like Diame @ Β£3m.
    Saying that, AW has given an indication we are short on the striking front, but is this one of his normal bouts of telling porkies and a red herring within his smoke and mirrors show !.

I`m still waiting for the two “Super Quality” players he promised when Cesc and Nascar left, so f**ked if I know !. hahaha

65. glic says:

As for that bloody Isco, now that he`s signed an extention, I have had to do some DIY tattooing on myself, I have chiselled the “I” into an “E” and put a “T” in front of it !. I thought TESCO would like the free advertisement whilst sorting through the “cheese sample counter” !. What happened to…….. “every little bit helps ” !.

Just had an email from Terrenzo Lippi and he will post predictions before kick-off of the games today (he says he is very ‘busy’ at the moment). πŸ˜‰

67. glic says:

Princess Pole Prancer πŸ˜†

I`ve just finished the groundwork`s and will keep taking photo`s of each stage. When finished I will send the photo`s to Total ( if he dosen`t mind ) and he can email them to you, as at the moment I have no idea how to put them on site from my camera !.

glic…..Isco has rode off into the sunset.

Wenger might buy some nice sweet Valencian oranges for half time tomorrow night, that’s about all.

Thanks for your entries Terry. Your odds are 88-1.

69. glic says:

I thought he might be busy Total, as it`s the famous….”Bounds Green Fingering Day” !…. Stretch is like a kid in a candy store and the only one up to his neck in it !. hahaha

70. glic says:

My odds are 2997-1
    I must be at least top of the long odds league and no remarks about me being odd !.

GLiC your not odd at all, your just weird. πŸ™‚

72. glic says:

Thanks Vic`s, but you left out the “and wonderfull” bit !. hahaha

73. The Gooner says:

Newcastle look good with their new signings, or is it that Villa are just shite? Sissoko already with an assist, as him and Gouffran look like good players especially at their bargain prices!

74. glic says:

Alain Pardieu has done some good TW work in channel hopping and the Newchateau de United team we will face next time will be unrecognisable to the one we beat 7-3 !. Sacre Bleu !.

75. The Gooner says:

Hahaha $hitty draws with QPR! I reckon a lot of you chose that though, should hurt me in the UMF standings…

76. The Gooner says:

Transfer window could get interesting with $hitty drawing at Loftus today and selling Balotelli earlier in the day to AC. Which big $$ signing will the Oilers make next?

The Gooner……..3…2…3…0…… 8points from 4
    Rocky………………0…0….0 0 points from 3
    RA……………………0 0 points from 1
    GLiC…………………2…0 2 points from 2
    TMHT ……………….0 0 points from 1
    Herb………………….0…3 3 points from 2
    Alex…………………..2…0…0…0. 2 points from 4
    Henry…………………3…3….0 6 points from 3
    PPP…………………..0…0….3 3 points from 3
    VCC…………………..2…3 5 points from 2
    Total…………………..0…3 3 points from 2
    Oz………………………0…2 2points from 2

78. steve says:

David Beckham is training with us and me my self dont think it would be a bad thing to sign him how now he is old now days but boy can he cross a ball and Giroud and Podolski would have a field day with them crosses not saying sign him and play him for 90 min but 30 min a game he could change game with his free kick taking and crossing and corners 1 year deal would be great for him and the club plus he could help the young players come on

79. The Gooner says:

Thanks for the update VCC!

I’m not sure why there are persistent rumours linking us with Gourcuff. He was supremely talented at one point, but what would do with another creative, central midfielder? We already have Santi, Jack, Rosicky and even Arteta (if we buy a DM) who can fill that position.

10 members had QPR v MC. ..Only three called it a draw = Herb/VCC/Total

81. The Gooner says:

VCC, what are your thoughts on Gary Hooper of Celtic? He seems to be a hot commodity among the mid table PL clubs and I’ve only seem him play in the CL.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen him The Gooner.

I have made my mind up after one week into the TW that Wenger would not sign any one.

He came out with the same old schpeel that Theo and Diaby are like a new player. Same old Same old Wenger, heard it a million times. Any one would think its his own money.

For petes sake we can afford Β£25-Β£30 million. Buy DM + St.

Look at sissoko tonight. Everyone is raving about him. No courage that’s his problem.

83. The Gooner says:

Sissoko looks like a good player and definitely would have been a nice box-to-box complement to Arteta/Coquelin. He definitely isn’t as good as his partner at Toulouse, but at his price (likely lower than Β£5 mil) it’s hard to argue he won’t be better value. Apparently Sissoko did not take a signing bonus in order for Newcastle to be able to afford him.

There’s still time left my friend, perhaps I’m overly optimistic but Capoue should be on our radar. An unnamed Premiership team placed a serious bid for Strootman, as reported by his agent, Rob Jansen. Strootman though, does not want to leave PSV in the January window apparently.

84. The Gooner says:

My gut tells me that if all goes well tomorrow vs. Liverpool (no injuries and a win), Diame will not be purchased by Wenger. As RA stated, the buy-out clause has been well publicized so if AW really wanted him, he would have bid for him by now.

The Gooner….The trouble is, if Wenger is going to buy, which I very much doubt, Diame would be his choice. it just smacks of another below par player in my eyes. Second best.

We need to start getting players who are premium, first on the team sheet type of guys.

We are becoming a side that has so many mid table type of players.

86. The Gooner says:

VCC,

I agree that Diame would not be the ideal purchase but he certainly would be a suitable Diaby replacement if he were to get injured again. Also, Diame would not be as opposed to rotation. The issue is, with Diaby and Rosicky fit, we have an abundance of midfielders fighting for 3 spots. Santi, Jack and Arteta are the 3 nailed on starters, with Diaby, Rosicky, Coquelin, Ramsey and maybe even Arshavin competing to get time.

Again, Arsene is cognizant of the lack of depth we have at the DM position, so I’d assume if he could buy a top notch one, he’d ease him into the team with Arteta eventually rotating in at AM or the b2b roles.

The only “significant” holes (positions where we lack cover) we have in our team is a back-up LB and a back-up striker/winger depending on where Theo plays.

I sometimes despair with Wenger. As you have put, the only “significant” holes where we lack cover is LB and striker/winger.

Without exception, every Arsenal site, every fan I speak to, every newspaper says the same about our left back position. We can’t all be wrong and he be right.

It’s glaringly obvious Santos is NOT a defender, Gibbs imo is not a good defender, he can press and go forward but defending is not his best attribute. Why hasn’t Wenger made this a priority in his searches. He has arguably one of the best scouting systems in the whole football world.

With the resources at his disposal he should not acquire players like, Squillaci/Chamahk/Park/Bendtner/Santos to name a few. Also, I’m not a Mertesacker fan. For someone who is over 6 foot tall he gets beaten n the air far too easily. He simply does not jump. Perhaps in the Bundeleague where he came from he did not have to, but you would have thought scouts/Wenger would have picked this up, I’m not being big headed, but I did straight away when he arrived.

88. The Gooner says:

VCC,

I don’t think it’s a matter of AW not realizing there’s a deficiency in a back-up LB, but how many are there that are available right now or that have moved in the January window? In fact, I don’t think any significant LB’s transferred teams over the summer either. The reality is that a lot of teams are likely not willing to sell their LBs and it’s a position that seems to be rather dire in producing top talent. Either way, all we’re asking for is an experienced, reliable back-up LB and not an elite talent or starter, so there isn’t a big excuse to have not placed a bid for one after all this time.

There have definitely been some questionable signings over the years, and perhaps that is why Wenger has started to be more conservative with his purchases. Either that or he’s just a complete stingy bastard hahaha!

Great debating with you today The Gooner. Must catch up on some beauty sleep. Hablo pronto Amigo.

90. The Gooner says:

Have a good night VCC!

91. oz gunner says:

Cheers TA, very good read. My worry mirrors VCC, Gibbs getting injured could be very problematic. Based on Santos’ performance I’d rather meade be used there in case of an emergency.

Very interesting stats comparing giroud + Walcott vs the two w*nkers

@ RA

Hope all is well

@ VCC

Arse Red is clearly not me. He’s too dapper and well spoken. But considering I didn’t get my tips in I’ll take it!

New Post – New Post!

Depending on what time zone you’re in: brew yourself some fine, strong coffee or serve yourself a smooth whiskey; sit back, and read Oz’s belter of a pre-match report for our encounter against Liverpool FC tomorrow. πŸ˜›

93. Mike says:

Well your right we have scored a lot of goals but the problem most where scored over a very few games in which we scored 5 or more. It would be nice to have scored a few more of those in games against Chelsea and Man City and ManU. Or even vs Stoke, Sunderland, and Aston Villa when we failed to score any those 3 games alone had we scored just 1 in each would have been 9 more points won. Yes we need to improve on defense but also the midfield has been flat and failed to create enough chances as well. And although a super CB and better cover on LB would be nice I really think the most impact in both attack AND defense would be a New DFM one in the Yaya Mold who is a wall in front of the back 4 yet also can drive forward and has quality passing ability (as well as maybe even have a shot that could add a few goals as well. But really more then anything it is constancy ManU does not have the best defensive stats this season ether yet they top the table why because they manage to WIN even when they do concede easy goals and when the opposition park the bus they find away around it.

I am NOT a ManU fan and I hardly want Arsenal to become More like them in all ways but you can not deny it would be much better to be where they are this season then where Arsenal is at the moment

Lastly at the risk of beating a dead horse. NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER SELL YOUR BEST PLAYERS TO YOUR RIVALS Hay I know it would have been bad business to let RVP leave for free in the summer when his contract ran out. And some would say not to sell him when he wanted to leave would have been biting your own nose off to spite your face but I do not care. He was under contract for another year that means he has to play for us at least until the end of that year and you tell ManU to go f.. them self we are not selling and you work on strengthening the team and try and win something with the one year we have left and at the end of his contract he can then decide to stay or go I bet had we had ambition and acted like a club that actually wanted to WIN and ten did WIn. RVP would resign at the end of his contract. Sure that is a big gamble when you stand to lose a huge transfer fee if you fail but SO WHAT. THe fact Arsenal was MORE concerned with losing RVP without getting a payday and less concerned with holding on to our best players and adding to them to build a team that can WIN the title is WHY these players want to leave in the fist place. (Letting Song go as well when we had no replacement yet was also a BAD move)

Hi Mike

Agreed with most of your points. My point is that we are starting to see a very productive strike-force now, and moving forward this is cause for optimism.

Re RvP – you might have a point, especially at the moment. But for the money that we got and saved we got back Pod, Giroud and were able to keep Theo. RvP went public and forced his way out: he bit and spat on the hand that fed him and I say good riddance.

95. richie59er says:

@TA 16:00 Re RvP very well said! I couldn’t agree more;.

What I’d really like to know is has anyone got an angle? Any bloody angle at all will do on this first 45min business? Why is it we only ever seem to look like a team after the interval? We weren’t just poor in the 1st half (for the umpteenth time) the team was yet again another no show! The whole team looked like they’d all only just met up, for a kick around in Highbury Fields. In point of fact we were appalling, absolutely jekyll and then after a 15minute break for refreshments and a reminder by β€œLe Boss” of who they were, where they were, and why! Suddenly Mr Hyde puts in another appearance. Leaving Gooners (world wide no doubt) totally perplexed and asking yet again, why couldn’t they have played that way for the full 90mins instead of only the last 45? Then we’d have won!

Someone must have a plausible theory? I mean if we can put a man on the moon then it’s not beyond reasonable to expect this to be answered, is it? I mean the Arse has a wealth of sports psychologists (performance enhancers), sports nutritionists (cooks), and sports physiologists (fitness instructors). Arsene has the players monitored constantly so the stats have to show something. I desperately want to know what it is?
    I even more desperately want to know what’s being done to remedy it?