Did you see Sagna celebrating our victory? Time to sign him up!

Bacary+Sagna+Hrpc97ZMj3jm

When referee Taylor blew an end to the game at the Stadium of Light, nobody was more pleased with having kept a clean sheet than Sagna. Bacary’s celebration was only partly captured by the TV cameras, but when I paused the image it became fully clear what his, and the team’s, performance meant to him.

His arms are stretched out horizontally and his head is raised to the heavens, no doubt primal screaming out his delight over the hard fought victory. Just have a look at SlimSwaidy’s excellent video below, and pause the game at 3.23 minutes:

We are all quick to judge people and Bacary has had a lot of criticism recently. It really annoyed me how many fellow Gooners were starting to write him off after a few slightly under-par performances; not just from a technical and physical point of view, but also in terms of lacking desire and attitude, and not caring about Arsenal at all. One of our most reliable and committed Gunners was left hung out to dry, and that goes against anything true support is all about.

Well, last Saturday’s performance against Sunderland showed us all, once again, what a true warrior and Gunner Bacary is. If and when he makes a mistake again, please remember his truly fantastic performance against the Black Cats; and especially, keep in mind his celebration at the end of the game. This guy cares; this warrior is a true Gunner!

This sort of motivation is priceless, and you only have to look at the lacklustre performances by Manchester City against Liverpool and Southampton recently, to understand why. No team, however good technically and tactically, can do without at least a number of players fighting for the shirt; with an intrinsic desire to give their all and win at all costs.

In my view, the first team is now full of these sorts of players; Szczesny, Gibbs, Koz, Vermaelen, BFG, Sagna, Jenkinson, Rosicky, Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Cazorla, Theo, Giroud, and to a slightly lesser extent, Podolski, are all players who give everything for the shirt during every game.

Some of these players are not necessary outspoken, extrovert players on the pitch: the likes of Arteta, Cazorla, Koz, Sagna, Ramsey and to a certain extent our captain, Vermaelen, just get on with their job as best as they can, whilst always giving their all to the team.

Others like Szczesny, Theo, BFG, Wilshere and Giroud are becoming more and more vocal and extrovert; motivating themselves and their fellow players, and the supporters, in the process.

Especially Jack is making an incredible difference, and without him we are significantly weaker: not only in terms of the shape and impetus he gives to our football, but also, and most importantly, through his drive and real desire to fight for a win. Is he less important for us at Arsenal than Bale at the Spuds? Absolutely not: Jack is the engine and embodies the necessary ‘culture’ or attitude of  our team going forwards. Without him we will struggle.

But Jack is young and needs older players around him with the same passion and drive as him. And there is no doubt that Bacary is one of them. He became 30 yesterday, and the sooner we can sign him up for the next three to four years the better.

Written by: Total Arsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Did you see Sagna celebrating our victory? Time to sign him up!

Rocky thanks for your entries. Your odds are 5965-1

Gerry your odds are 646-1. Per haps if its still running next season you can join in. In the meantime I will keep your entries every week and monitor how you would have measured up with most of the shower on here 🙂

2. The Cabbie says:

I have never understood the problem some supporters have with Sagna ,ok he has some bad games but who does not. His marking could improve but he is an Arsenal player so get behind him

Well said that man.

Bacary Sagna would be one of the first players on an all Premiership team atm.

He has shown class throughout his term so far with Arsenal. Long may it continue.

4. Red Arse says:

I would be careful telling Glicy to get behind anyone!! 🙂

Hi VCC 🙂

I realised I said recently there was no real rush to sign him up, but it would be great if we would. Bacary is definitely worth it and it would add further stability to the team. I guess Arsenal feel there is no rush, with Bacary being signed up till mid 2014 and the Summer to sort it all out. Maybe they are hoping to cash in on him and buy another 26 year old, ala Nacho…

Hope not though. Bacary is the sort of player we need to keep to balance out the squad.

Well done that man for writing the above blog. All Gunners should be joining the call to give him the improved contract he so richly deserves. He has stayed here through the ‘bleak’ years(relative term) when others have jumped ship. More importantly, he wants to stay.
    Does he deserve to share in what is promising to be a new era for Arsenal. Too right he does!

Just remember how he broke his leg the second time for a moment … he was trodden on the leg which had the steel plate in it, and the pressure on the plate fractured the bone. If that doesn’t make you cringe, well it should, because he actually got up and tried to play a ball that was passed to him before the full horror of it become real. A warrior indeed.

Despite this second setback, he works hard, gets back in the team, a team that has changed a lot. He might have got support in his defensive duties from Song, but he’s gone. From Walcott, but he wanted to be a front man, and when he was left out it was either the Ox who is inexperienced at that side of things, or Ramsey, who himself was lacking in confidence, especially out of position. So in those circumstances, it is more understandable that he has look vulnerable for the first time in …. well you tell me when he last had a bad game before his first leg break??

I also think he was a bit disappointed that the offer the club put forwards as an extension to his contract, on the same as his current terms, did affect him? Press speculation, as well as the comments in some quarters from the ‘fans’ highlighted by TA’s blog, made him wonder what the future held.

Well if the club have any sense, they will give him a rise out of the money they can save on not getting a new centre-half, give him a contract that is long enough for him to retire as a true Gunner for the bulk of his playing career, and YES! give him a testimonial in his final year for his service and loyalty.

Not a case of ‘Sign dat ting’, it is a case of OFFER DAT THING … the sooner the better!

Fantastic comment, Gerry. 🙂

And very well said, Sir. In fact, today’s post should not be read without reading your comment subsequently!

VCC – Thanks for compiling the odds on that ‘acca’. I just think clubs that have just had tough games in Europe are always more vulnerable, especially if the players get it into their heads that it is only so-and-so, and think the game is won just by turning up?

Well my future is still looking a bit bleak. My bad knee is getting worse, my solicitors are representing my landlord, and the reduction in dog numbers is being forced on me because I have little hope of taking all but a couple with me, if I am forced to move .. So let’s not worry about next season just yet, eh? Thanks for the invitation, if I am up to scratch over the next month or so.

glic – Recommendations for pulled back muscles. Do not try and compensate for the pain by walking differently – you will only strain other muscles. When get up from a sitting position, take the strain on your arms and push yourself up. If it is a pulled muscle, not a slipped disc, then once in the vertical position you should be able to relax the back muscles without pain? If your are getting pain from just being upright, look up a good Chiropractor? Finally, do not reach away from your body to pick anything up with your hands, keep your elbows close to your body and get closer to what you are reaching for. When picking things from a lower level make sure your support your upper body with your other arm. Likewise, if you get a twinge, take the weight of your upper body, relax, then proceed to the vertical as with first rule.
    If you can follow these simple procedures EVERY time, you should be okay in 2 or 3 days.

I’ve been there done that, and yes, driving long hours is the the worst thing you can do. I hope that helps?

T A – You are too kind.

Not at all Gerry 🙂

Your comments are mini-posts most of the time. I am very lucky to have you, Redders, HH, PPP, VCC, HenryC, Richie (where are you matey) and one or two others who tend to write great follow up comments, which often enrich the quality of the ensueing debates.

It has been a quiet week though, but I guess it’s the silence before the imminent footie storm of playing Blackburn, Bayern and Villa in the space of a week… 🙂

Sounds like you are facing a tough time ahead with your council and home/dogs issues. Hope you can work something out! 😦

11. glic says:

Top post as usual Totes and Gerry`s is indeed a top comment.

Thanks for the advise Gerry, I have had problems in the past and what you say is spot on, gone are the days of laying on a flat board and resting !. Hope your problems get sorted out to your`s and your dog`s benefit.
    I love my puppy and keep saying that I will never have another one as the heartache of losing your best friend is a painfull experience. I`m dreading the day when I have to suffer that pain and dont want to go through it again, but I have always had a dog in 35 years of marriage and each time I lose a “family member”, I say enough is enough.
    Next time I shall try and be strong !. A useless statement from someone who goes all goohey at the sight of a baby pup !.

12. glic says:

Oi Total van Clogupthearsestein, what about my great follow up comments !. hahaha

Glic hahaha – you might be in the ‘one or two’ I mentioned 😉

Your comments are great Glixter, and together with Terry’s, Redders and Vickers humour (and UMF league of course), the site has become a real, ‘cosy’, yet global home.

By the way, I am sure you would like to know that the Dutch word for shopping is ‘winkelen’ and a shopping centre is called ‘winkelcentrum’. And shop lifting is a winkel-lifting (Northampton style).

Okay then, the last one I made up 😛

hey guys, what about those three fantastic goals scored at White Hart Lane last night. You’ve got to be honest.

That’s the first time I can remember watching a full Spurs game ever. Had literally nothing else on last night so thought why not.

15. glic says:

Hahaha Winkelcentrum sounds like an attachment Vic`s has on his Zimmerframe for going to the urinals !. hahaha

Vics, I never watch that scum !. I will always have something better to do, like polish my knob !.

I did however see the goals on Sky. Lyons goal was stunning. Bale`s goals wre overated imo, the goalie should have saved both especially the second one. If Szczesny had let them in , I would have called for the return of Almunia !.

GLiC…where’s the updated photos of the love shack? get em up here man.

17. Highbury Harmony says:

Excellent post and 100% agree that we should re-sign Sagna asap. I, too, never understood the criticism around Sagna and still feel that he is one of the best (in my opinion the best) RB in the PL. Re-signing Sagna is a further signal to other clubs that we’re changing the tide and re-signing our veteran players still in the prime of their careers. I think some of the criticism towards Sagna stems from the fabricated media rumours that he’s not committed and leaving us in the summer.

Even after reading your lists on vocal leaders, I still feel that we are shy one more vocal leader who is also a physical presence and can make his mark on the game through a tough tackle or showing unbridled emotion (basically a beast DM).

You’re also too kind to consider Glic in the “one or two others” category hahaha.

VCC – You have just reminded me of something I missed off my first reply re Spurs …

What was the turning point last season? For me it has always been the moment Bacs scored, grabbed the ball shouting ‘Come on! … and we went from 2-1 down to a beautiful 2-5 victory. That’s yet another reason to put on the Sagna CV when asking for his just reward?

T A – Be fair, you wrote the blog, I just respond. Adding a little embellishment with a heartfelt tribute. Unfortunately, my memory is not as good as it might be, hence the opener here, and I have often scrap somethings because the correct spelling of a word will not come to me late in the day. The other day I could not remember the name of a Chelsea midfiekder, and whilst I wandered off to think about it, I wiped the whole thing.

You mention being among friends, and I must say, in a very short time it does feel like home here, but I can make the odd blunder.

Only last week, replying on Desigunner’s site, I had just written a very positive reply. I say that because the week before he was not quite at one with the majority mood. I kicked it off by pointing an alternative view, to which several others agreed. So, the lapse between me writing, when there were no comments, and posting, where there were a few, I read the first one that began .. ‘ You know what Desi, you’re sh*t’
    Well I immediately leapt to his defence, as I thought I owed him one from the previous week. Waded in saying there was no need to be rude, and I couldn’t see where he differed from Desi. Capped it of with a ‘If you can’t read the blog properly, perhaps you should keep quiet’ …. (Un)Fortunately, some kind person informed me with a reply, saying that the guy meant Desi knew his stuff! Mia culper! I did not know that that this was an abbreviated form … by leaving out the word ‘hot’ .. Errr I apologised.

Anyway, if you want a non- Arsenal, non-footballing blog written, when there is no much going on, I could offer a horse racing one, as I can always copy my blog on Frankel, prior to last run. Every bit a heartfelt embellishment as the above on Bacary Sagna, you can be sure of that?

Meanwhile if anybody knows of any derelect building/caravan with access to water and electricity I shall be very grateful. Oh, and preferably with a small field attached. If too remote it better be on a Tesco delivery route

Worth a try?

as its quiet on her today I thought I would share a tale with you BKers.

Three friends married women from different parts of the world…..

The first man married a Greek girl. He told her that she was to do the
    dishes and house cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third
    day he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put
    away….. … The second man married a Thai girl. He gave his wife
    orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking. The
    first day he didn’t see any results but the next day he saw it was
    better. By the third day he saw his house was clean, the dishes were
    done, and there was a huge dinner on the table…..

The third man married a girl from Scotland . He ordered her to keep the
    house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed, and hot meals
    on the table for every meal. The first day he didn’t see anything, the
    second day he didn’t see anything either but by the third day, some of
    the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye
    and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and
    load the dishwasher. He still has some difficulty when he urinates…..

HH – I am not sure how vocal the ‘Toulouse German’ is, but he may yet become our beast. We need to impress him against Bayern though, but he is definitely in the AW buying mode?

Another story that caught my eye was about an immigrant coming to England.

A Romanian arrived in London as a new immigrant to the England . He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and

says, “Thank you Mr. Englishman for letting me in this country, giving me housing, food stamps, free medical care,free driving lessons, and free education!”
    > The passerby says, “You are mistaken, I am Polish.”

> The man goes on and encounters another passerby. ” Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in England !”
    > The person says, “I’m not English, I’m Bulgarian.”
    > The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand and says, “Thank you for the wonderful England !”
    > That person puts up his hand and says, “I am from Latvia , I am not English!”
    > He finally sees a nice lady and asks, “Are you English?”
    > She says, “No, I am from Czech Republic !”
    > Puzzled, he asks her, “Where are all the English?”

> The Czech lady checks her watch and says…”Probably at work.”

22. Macko says:

Hello friends,
    Bacary Sagna represents for me the serenity he has a warrior spirit and the maturity that we need in our defense.
    He celebrated his 30th birthday And so I do not think that it be a reason for not extend it, it would be a very big loss for the Gunners.
    my understanding is that in reading the post Podolski less wet bikini that others, I am not agree for me, three new players who have arrived in the beginning of the season, it is he who is better acclimated to the first league, his game has really evolved it has become very phisyque and I think he will be one of our best player in the coming years 🙂

23. Highbury Harmony says:

Gerry,

When you say the Toulouse German, who are you referring to mate? From my understanding, Capoue is French and I’m starting to think we’re thinking of different players hahaha! If you meant either Capoue, Gustavo or Bender then I 100% agree that we’ll need to impress them against Bayern and by finishing at least in the top 4. Just imagine how much better we’d all feel with a DM beast in our line-up next Wednesday!

24. Highbury Harmony says:

Macko,

Interesting take on Podolski, as you are one of the few who believe he’ll be one of our best players in a few years! Always nice to hear a different perspective, and he has the drive and goal scoring history to back up your belief. I really hope he can start to find the form that made him the “Prince” in Koln.

I think him and Cazorla acclimatized the quickest to the PL and they were both excellent early on. Podolski seems to fade and be very inconsistent within one game, where as Cazorla seems to suffer from inconsistency over the course of a few games.

25. glic says:

Hahaha Macko 😆

Are you on the Chateau de Loco ?. Popolski looks more like a Mankini person to me !. hahaha

Do you have these in France ?. I bet you wear one whilst watching the Arsenal !. hahaha 😆

This is Mancini in a Mankini .

glic – Never try to explain your feelings to non-‘doggy’ people, they just do not understand. I once said that losing my old Springer hit me harder than losing my brother, from whom I inherited the dog. I got some very strange looks I can tell you.

However, I think behind it all, with a dog you are responsible for everything that goes into their lives. Their food, their shelter, their happiness, and of course their health. With people, they make their own decisions on how to live, so unless you inflict something on to them there is no guilt attached. With a dog, there is always something at the back of your mind, especially if they die before ‘their time’. Even when a dog does reach old age, you can be the one that makes the final decision?
    My springer spaniel, Pippa was my shadow, and you get reminders of it missing, because it is missing. When she went to the ‘rainbow bridge’, as they say in the USA, it was many years before I fully realised that her passing ‘made space’ for the dogs I have now, who in turn have brightened a dozen ore more homes with puppies who are now elderly dogs.

You just have to enjoy dogs whilst they are with you, and feel proud if they had a good life.

There is nothing more innocent than a puppy, so you enjoy him now while you can.

The only reason I am parting with my dogs now is because it is better this charity find good homes, rather than risk them being put down should things turn out badly.

But, as I have said before, I am an optimist in hoping something will turn up.

Which reminds me, do you know the Springer Spaniel pub in Treburley?

27. glic says:

Stretch sent me a photo of his weekend in Rome !.

28. glic says:

Yes Gerry, it is just up the road from me !.

29. glic says:

Off for a sec`, got to feed, water and check on the wife`s horses !.

HH – Sorry, the ‘Toulouse German’ is the code name I said would give him when I said there alternatives to Capoue. It was probably one of the last comments on an earlier blog about a week ago. Anyway his name appeared for the first time as an ‘Arsenal target’ yesterday.
    If I give you his initials you will know who I mean, for S u R e??

31. Highbury Harmony says:

Gerry,

Sebastian Rode would certainly be a quality addition especially at the rumoured price of £6 million. He’s in the AW target price range and at a young age where he can still be groomed by Le Prof! I haven’t seen enough of Rode, but he seems like a younger Arteta but a more orthodox DM. He doesn’t strike me as the type of no-nonsense tackler who relentlessly chases down the opposition and will do anything to win the ball back type that I’m looking for though. Either way, as long as we address the DM position this summer, I’ll be a happy man :).

GLiC, where did you get that photograph of Terry? was you on holiday with him?

33. Red Arse says:

I feel really bad.

That may be because I am a bad person! At the very least I must be a terrible supporter or even a shallow and perhaps plastic fan!!

You have all told me so, at least indirectly. Why?

Well, for the last 2 or 3 months, I have watched Sagna and thought he was playing very poorly. I have not deliberately gone onto blog sites and made a thing out of it, but when his name has come up in a Post or in a comment I have expressed that view.

Reading today’s comments has made it clear that I am not allowed to express such opinions about a ‘warrior’, even if he himself has said he is playing crap, or else I stand accused of all the things I have mentioned in the 2nd paragraph above.

I feel really bad!

Highbury Harmony.

As you are on the subject of targets, if you were the Arsenal Manager would you purchase these two players this summer and blow your budget (which apparently is reported we have)…..

Falcao………….£55 mil
    Isco……………..£17.5 Mil

Total of £72.5 mil

Both valuations on todays transfer markt.com

This would give us a line up thus…

Szez

Sagna Merts ……Verm……Monreal

Arteta

Isco……….Wilshere…….Diaby………..Cazorla

Walcott………Falcao.

And if so, do you think we could compete seriously for the EPL and Champions league?

Redders……then go and stand in the corner and put that hat on. The one GLiC has been wearing since the start of the UMF 1.

36. Red Arse says:

I would VCC, but he wasn’t wearing it on his head — the dirty devil!! 🙂

I am about to cook for my family, so have to be short.

Redders 🙂

It is perfectly fine to say that Bacary has had a bad game. It is when ‘supporters’ start to slag and write off a players when I get really annoyed. As far as I can remember, I don’t think you ever did that.

I also feel that Gerry explains the circumstances under which Sagna had to perform recently really well. It puts it all in a fine context, if you ask me.

You are, of course, always allowed to express your disappointments in our players, or say whatever you like, without feeling in anyway ‘bad’ about it. 🙂

Total, I was a bit miffed when Wenger put Bacary straight back into the side when he got back to fitness. Jenkinson was playing well and must have knocked his confidence.

39. Highbury Harmony says:

Redders,

Exactly what TA said above, there’s nothing wrong with voicing displeasure with a player’s performances but to say Sagna is useless, past his prime or better off being sold because of a run of bad form is ridiculous and impulsive (not what you’ve done but others have).

Diversity in thought and opinion makes for interesting debate, we would never try to curb yours or anyone else’s opinion!

40. Red Arse says:

VCC,

Let’s take it as gospel that there is £72.5m in the kitty, and we spend it as you suggest.

We would also need to budget for their salaries, (You are a hard task master — but I suppose you did not expect them to work for free) 🙂 and their joint salaries might work out at (say) £15m per year for 5 years, which runs out at about £75m.

Now I do not want to scare you with a discussion about the difference between cash accounting and accrued accounting, but I think you will have a hard job getting it past those damned accountants!! 🙂

41. Highbury Harmony says:

VCC,

I think we would win the title by fielding 12 players alone hahaha!

If we were able to acquire both Falcao and Isco, I could pretty much guarantee Arsenal the title (Call Me…Crazy, Maybe? haha). You’re looking at two players who are world-class talents playing at premium positions. It might not be the proper thing to do to blow our budget on those two players, but I’d much prefer that then to try and compensate by picking up a variety of above average players to help address our defensive and back-up striker concerns.

A proper DM, class CB, an orthodox winger and a back-up keeper would go a long way in improving this team, but we’d still be off the mark against Manure in my opinion. It would certainly push us into the top 3, but even then I still feel we’d be missing that clinical finisher up top to reward all the hard work and creativity in the build up (unless Theo reaches even higher levels with his finishing, which could happen!).

42. Red Arse says:

TA/HH,

I was being slightly tongue in cheek (wouldn’t you know it) 🙂 but you are right TA, there is a vast difference between expressing disappointment and revelling in destructive criticism — of any player. That helps no one!

Well said guys!! 🙂

43. glic says:

Just get Isco for £30m+. Malaga are banned from European competion for 1 year ( could rise to 2 years if demands are not met by end of March ) . I think this starts next year, so Isco is a must. Spend a few more million on tattoo ink !. I dont want anyone else going through the pain of a blunt chisel and club hammer like I did !. hahaha

44. Highbury Harmony says:

RA,

I expect Isco and Falcao to play for free haha! Glic will probably offer his entire life savings to Isco to play for Arsenal anyway, so he’d be receiving more anyway (in ‘other’ favours too 😉 ) for whatever that’s worth

45. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic,

I’m still surprised ‘Isco’ fit on your todger. Are you sure it doesn’t say “Isc” with a partial ‘o’ connected to the ‘c’ to give others the illusion that all of ‘Isco’ actually fit? I guess it’s true that everything in life is about perception, so if you believe it’s all there then that’s all that matters!

46. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic, you should also formally thank good ol’ TA from the forewarning on not putting “Reus” on your todger – what a “big” mistake that would have been had a nice Dutch girl seen your todger hahaha!

47. glic says:

Vic`s. The others probably think we`re joking, but we both know that is a photo of Terry that I took of him at the Arsenal Tavern !. He does have them Greek God movie star looks dont you think ? . hahaha

GLiC…do you think Isco on his own would be enough? I’m not so sure. I think we need to invest in a top striker.

GLiC….I do indeed. I think he is the best looking man i have ever seen apart from my mirror.

50. Highbury Harmony says:

VCC, do you think the rest of the PL would allow us to play with 12 men ;)? I guess the issue becomes, if we buy Isco and Falcao, what happens to Theo/Santi, Podolski and Giroud? It’s a good problem to have but there’d certainly be some unhappy bench players! Realistically, I feel that AW will only go for a striker (back-up or to rotate with Giroud), a DM, experienced back-up keeper and maybe a CB this summer. Even that’s asking for a lot!

Herb/PPP/Oz. Can I have your UMF entries please.

52. Highbury Harmony says:

However, notice that the emphasis is on defensive players, which we are currently short on in terms of depth and quality. I think he’ll only be looking to add maybe one offensive player to our front three given the success we’ve had in scoring goals lately.

53. glic says:

It`s ok Double H, them Dutch girls are up for a laugh and most girls from the “glic survey” revealed that the easiest way to get them into bed was to make them laugh !……having ” Reus” on my todger would be a good start !.

HH, sorry I can’t count. But you get my gist. Would we be better off with those two or with lesser 4/5 players?

55. Red Arse says:

Where is our man Herb?

Herb are you out there — if so, move your butt and get on here!! 🙂

56. Red Arse says:

It means ‘rust’ Glicstar! It’s all that Cornish rain!! 🙂

57. glic says:

F**k anyone else Vic`s…..I just want Isco !. I blame that double H , he was the one who first put the ” Isco Porn ” on here !. Next time that Canada Geese lands on my pond, I`m going to Goose it !.

58. Highbury Harmony says:

VCC :),

It all depends on how our players progress, because the purchase of two more offensive talents just reaching their prime would certainly block any more youngsters coming through at those positions. In the short-term (if we added defensive players the year after say), I think we would be better off. If there’s one thing that could immediately help us to win a title or silverware, it’d be a world-class striker. The addition of another creative genius on the wing is just downright scary; can you imagine Santi-Jack-Isco all working their magic and distributing to Falcao? That would absolutely be the best front 4 in the world, even better than Barca or Real, in my humble opinion.

In the long-term, we’d be delaying the need to improve our defensive deficiencies. We are still in need of a proper, beastly DM to give our offensive players more of a license to attack and there are still some depth issues, especially in the center of the pitch (CB, DM, back-up GK) that need to eventually be addressed.

59. glic says:

And with Redders enlightenment….with a rusty one in the rain !.

60. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha Glic, Canada Goose is actually a maker of the most warm jackets that I know. They can withstand -40 degree Celsius weather and I’d highly recommend one give your circumstance; it’s bound to get lonely when all those girls see “Reus” on your todger and laugh and leave you out in the cold!

61. glic says:

Maybe I should do another BK who dunnit cluedo of……… Who bumped off Herb ?.

62. glic says:

It`s ok Double H, I have my ” Award Winning ” bubble wrap Y-fronts, known to withstand the highest decibel womens laughter in the universe….apart from Uranus !. hahaha

I wasn’t fooled for a minute Redders. Just after the sympathy vote, eh?

I said in one of my ramblings that Ramsey might have been better going out on loan, in order to find his game, At that time I was not too sure if that could be with Arsenal. Then on Saturday I had to admit, AW did the right thing in delaying Miguel coming on and leaving Ramsey at right back .. I mean, Right back and Ramsey a month ago and you would have feared the worst? But I am happy to say that he had an excellent game.

We can all be wrong sometimes?

Did anybody else read those stats about Sagna .. It was something like 75% of all his successful clearances came in the last 14 minutes, including 6 of the 8 successful headers. I doubt very much young Miquel could have matched that off the bench?

HH – You seem to want a beast of a centre-back, as well as a DM? The thing about SR is he is a clean tackler. Quick, strong, and has an eye for a pass. Above all, he has made the DM position his own. Not some half and half chappie who might be absent a the vital moment. Mind, getting him might be the problem? The trouble is I just don’t see AW going to go for £15m Capoue, or even £12m Wanyama, for a DM? Especially as Spurs and Man U are eying them as well. SR probably represents ‘value’ at £8-9m, which is what it might take,.and us being in the CL of course. It would give us an almost full German spine, albeit a Richard the 3rd one, with Podolski skewed of to the left?

64. glic says:

Right, wife away and I have to fend for myself………right, google how to cook toast ! .

65. Red Arse says:

Stick your plonker in the slot, Glicman — you know how to do that, and Terry said your todger would easily fit, and voila – it’s toasted! 🙂

66. Highbury Harmony says:

Gerry,

My only point is that whoever we choose to acquire for the DM position, I hope AW makes the right choice and does not settle for a lesser talent because he comes cheaper or at a discount. We’ve been doing that far too often in past years and the on-field product has suffered to a degree. Even in our “bargain” shopping over the years, we’ve somehow missed out on some top quality purchases, so it’s a strategy I’m not entirely sold on. We’re now in prime position to spend the transfer funds accordingly and to acquire the talent that this team needs to contend for a title. If AW identifies SR to have more quality than Wanyama or Capoue, then I am certainly all for it; but if he’s haggling over £4-5 million and there’s a discrepancy in talent and physicality, then for me, it’s worth the extra few pounds investment to spend on the higher caliber player.

Redders, while everyone is away cooking their dinners have a go at this.

68. Highbury Harmony says:

Sorry, everyone misses out on bargain top quality players, but my point was that AW was known for a making a living out of these purchases in the past and this strategy has somehow eluded and failed him (Sissoko, Michu, Cabaye, HBA etc.).

69. Red Arse says:

How did you get on V? 🙂

21000 I think. How about you?

71. Red Arse says:

Damn! Have to go — tomorrow guys! 🙂

Geneva and Riga threw me. blast.

73. Red Arse says:

Erm — not as well as that V – but I will have another go tomorrow. Keep well!

catch you 2moz Redders. Off out with me muckers. Guys I’ve been friends with for over 45 years. One of our half yearly drink ups.

HH – I know what you are saying, and to be honest I thought Wanyama had a cracking game against Juve, so he should adjust to the EPL okay. Two difficulties, I am not sure there is enough ‘friendly’ contact between the two clubs, and if the lure of Manu is left dangling in front of him it might be hard to get him to come the extra 200 miles, even with matching fees.
    Capoue on the other hand, may prefer a French manager, rather than the peculiar speech of a Rednap? That might keep him out of Spurs grasp if we can repeat history, but I don’t see AW rating this position as highly as you and I do, and he will baulk at paying that much(£15m) when he can get a ‘versatile’ player who might cover at LB/CB/RB, or even higher up the pitch, for less.

Now regards quality differences, that would be hard to judge, but that is what repeated scouting missions are for. Transition to EPL? You would probably say that Capoue would have the most difficulty, even if has has more skills than the other two? WAnyama will have to go the farthest for international, and in 2 years time could be off to the AFCON? SR could have th easiest adjustment with the least travelling to do. He still has time to become a better player, but does he is better than what we have already at this moment? From what I have read, and the fact that his club have been holding their own in the Bundesliga pretty well this season, I would say, yes. Mainly because he knows his job at DM.

So if we are both happy for AW to make the right choice on skill, adaptability, and team blending, and not just price, we can all agree. I had no idea what price he would be, but I put him forward as an alternative based purely on positional skills that we require.

last one….25,729.

PPP/Oz/Herb. UMF 1 please guys.

Latterz muvvers.

77. glic says:

Have a nice night out Vic`s, but take it easy, dont go over the limit . You know you can be breathalysed for not being in control of a zimmerframe !.

78. glic says:

I see an ex-Leeds player Robbie Rogers ( USA international ) has come out of the closet, to tell the truth, this was no surprise to me, I think the tell tale signs were when he would give his captain a blow-job in the centre circle for just winning the toss !.

Evening folks,

Great comments from the sublime to the Glicilous! 🙂

Writing a short pre-match for Blackburn game as Oz is nowhere to be seen… 😦

80. Mike says:

Is anyone besides me REALLY REALLY nervous about the up coming weeks? We have 3 very important games first to get to the final of the FA cup is our best shot at a trophy then we have BM in the CL and the Derby with Spurs which could be the deciding match between finishing above spurs and not for the first time since 1995. I do feel we CAN win all these games but I also have a bad pain in my gut when I think about what could happen.

It is a day away from the FA cup match and I already have a nervous pain in my gut and I am not even the one playing in the match. I am already on the edge of depression thanks to the economy and my job lose my only joy lately is watching Arsenal but I have put so much on this team that I am not sure if my nerves can take it. What would make my year is if I can watch Arsenal win a FA cup final at the same time I am starting a new job.

81. Milo says:

The only thing that I didn’t like about the whole Sagna issue, was, as someone pointed out earlier, that he supplanted Jenkinson as soon as he was half-fit again, when Jenkinson had been our most outstanding defender to that point in time. I’m sure, or at least I hope, Wenger had a word with Carl, explaining his decision, and that he’ll get a better look-in next season even if/when Bacary does re-sign with us. You never know though…Jenkinson could/will be valuable down the stretch, in some capacity I’m sure. True match fitness can be very fleeting for anyone, never mind someone who has broken a leg twice in one year. I wouldn’t wish any ill upon Sagna, and it seems like he is getting back to his best once again. Having said that, I really do hope to see Carl get a fair shot in the not so distant future.

I can say with confidence though, that I NEVER abused Sagna in any fashion, and I hope that he does re-sign with us. I even think he would understand that his role could be reduced in the next few seasons, if Carl is progressing well still, and STILL sign with us again, such is his loyalty to the cause and to the club!!! The only thing that might hold him back from doing that is that he wouldn’t get a look in with France again, if he did that. With the World Cup coming up next season, it might not be too wise to remain here, if he isn’t first choice. Regardless, I hope that both Carl and Sagna stay and that they push each other on to be the best players they can be.

Hi Mike 🙂

Sorry to hear you lost your job and things are a bit grim for you at the moment. Best is not to invest too many expectations in our team, but high hopes are a good thing! 🙂

Yes, they are three big games (and in between we play Villa at home) and let’s see what happens to the good guys!

Well said and all agreed, Milo.

Would you like to see Bacary back at CB more often? It would help getting both Jenkinson and Sagna to play more games/together…

84. Milo says:

For sure, that would be an option, in my opinion!!! It looked like he had played there his whole career, he played so well there. I found it interesting that he made so many clearances, and didn’t try to play his way out of trouble. The situations definitely called for the clearances, yet how many times have we been put in to troubling situations from our defenders and deeper lying midfielders not clearing the ball properly, or trying to over play when it just is too dangerous to do so??? Bacary’s performance should tell them that clearing your lines is not a bad thing to do, and that we can still create chances even when we do clear our lines. I’m not saying we should always just hoof the ball away!!! Far from it, I just think that sometimes we knock the ball back in to dangerous situations when we don’t need to. Bacary just proved that he can clear the ball properly, and that is really a very valuable asset to possess. I’ll admit it…in FIFA and I NEVER clear the ball away from my goal, no matter what, hahahahahahaha, but that isn’t real life!!!

hahaha Milo – you are getting your realities mixed up! 😀

Fully agreed: with our ‘double DM’ formation, we should have players who can anticipate and deal with Bacary’s clearances. The game against Sunderland simply called for it, especially during the last half hour, but I would love to see him in that position again in one or two ‘normal’ games…

86. Highbury Harmony says:

Gerry,

I agree that SR is a quality player and seems to have the technical ability and positional intelligence to survive any league. I have just always wanted a Vieira presence; a player that opposing teams see in our starting line-up and think, crap he’s playing today. A beast DM that keeps the opposition honest and is no-nonsense and patrols the defensive end of the pitch with authority and healthy aggression. Capoue has all those qualities and is also excellent in the air (75.2% success rate in aerial duels), which will help us defend long air balls and set pieces (which we struggle mightily on).

I actually think SR has the most technical ability between all three of himself, Wanyama and Capoue. The latter two bring more of the steel element to the table and are more efficient in the air. Prior to Sissoko’s departure from Toulouse, him and Capoue were exchanging turns defending and running up the pitch with the ball. Capoue’s developed into a dual b2b/DM player who can drive the team forward on surging runs if need be. His long passing has improved, but he’s still more comfortable distributing the short, easy passes. I particularly enjoy watching Capoue because of his determination to win and regain possession of the ball when his team loses it.

I really believe the physical aspects to Capoue’s game, along with his insatiable need to tackle to strike fear in the opposition (relatively cleanly mind you, only 1 red card last season and 7 yellows despite committing 2 fouls per game) will aid in a seamless transition to the EPL. Only time will tell who AW will look to, in order to improve the much maligned DM position.