If only Arsenal had signed Van Bommel or Seedorf last summer

I still remember the excitement of the Ajax fans when they first found out Frank Rijkaard was returning to Amsterdam back in 1993. The Amsterdam-born, former defensive midfielder wanted to finish his career at his boyhood club, and Louis van Gaal welcomed him back with open arms. Ajax were bursting with promising talents, but needed somebody  in the their first team to mentor them, and Rijkaard was the ideal player to do just that. He won a couple of European Cups (now CL) and twice the Italian League with Milan, and had been one of their most influential players.

The likes of Seedorf, Davids, De Boer brothers, Kluivert, Kanu and Overmars will have looked up to him enormously. In the two years that Rijkaard was at Ajax, he (their captain) and Van Gaal led the team to the sort of glory Amsterdam had not seen for twenty years, and has not seen ever since. It all culminated in Ajax winning the CL in 1995, beating Rijkaard’s former club Milan, both in the group stages as well as in the CL-final.

At the time, Ajax were a mixture of very promising talents and a number of good, but definitely not great, players (Danny Blind, Litmanen, Bogarde (!), Reiziger, De Boer brothers etc). Rijkaard made a big difference with his leadership skills and experience, as well as his desire to win at all costs.

In a way, the current Arsenal team are not too dissimilar to Ajax back in the early nineties: plenty of promising talents, and a number of good and committed, senior players. What is missing badly though, is a senior player in our squad who has done it all and still has the hunger and leadership skills to take this team forward; just like Frank Rijkaard did twenty years ago.

Unfortunately, we do not have any players out there who have an Arsenal background and won it all, and are still fit enough to lead our team back to glory in the space of one to three years. Maybe Thierry could still do it, but I reckon it is too late for that now.

For the last two seasons, I have been hoping that either Van Bommel or Seedorf would come to Arsenal, just for one or two seasons. I felt, and still feel, strongly we are lacking such an experienced player for the reasons described above.

Van  Bommel: always giving his all, and hard as nails.

Van Bommel: always giving his all, and hard as nails.

Van Bommel is a hard and very experienced player with a real winner’s mentality. He won the CL with Barcelona and the League in four different countries (Holland, Germany, Spain and Italy). He is now at PSV Eindhoven where he plays regularly and has not lost his hunger for success at all. He is mentoring the fine Dutch prospect Strootman into a future ‘Van Bommel’ and also the Belgian talent of Mertens, and PSV are in a good position to win the Dutch League this year – a feat they have not achieved in the last four years (after winning it four times in a row between 2004-2008).

Van Bommel would have been the ideal signing for us this summer. He would have played alongside Jack or Arteta in our ‘2’ in midfield, and led the team by example. He would have taught the likes of Jack, Aaron, Francis and even Arteta and Cazorla the darker arts of football, as well as positional awareness  and overcoming setbacks. I can just imagine him in the dressing room after a disjointed first half against a top-team: he would single-handedly change the mood.

Clarence+Seedorf+MfvVVLJPiRJm

The same goes for Clarence Seedorf: also a multi-silverware winner and somebody with great leadership and mentoring skills. He has won five league titles and the CL four times;  and  with three different clubs. He would have been a fine mentor and have made  a great impact on our youngsters. Seedorf, to everybody’s  surprise, decided to finish his career in Brazil, where he is now playing for Botafogo.

Both Seedorf and Van Bommel would not have had to play in every game for us. Just once a  week would have been enough to have had a fantastic impact on our team.

We are desperate for one or two quality, experienced veterans who have won everything and can act as leaders and mentors to our aspiring squad for a few seasons. In my view, Arsenal missed a great opportunity in not signing up either of them this summer.

Younger players love to learn from the masters, so they can become one themselves

There might be other very experienced, multi-silverware winning, senior players who could make a real difference at Arsenal for one or two years. He would also need to have good command of the English language and earn instant respect from our talented youngster: any ideas?

Written by: Total Arsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

107 Responses to If only Arsenal had signed Van Bommel or Seedorf last summer

1. Milo says:

The only player I can think of that MIGHT be available is the hateful Frank Lampard!!! 😦 There are some things he is very good at, but there also are aspects of his play which would need to be improved. I don’t like him as person either…but I guess that is very much secondary considering the situation we are in. I’m totally divided on this one, but I know one person who isn’t…Wenger, and he’s the one that counts!!! 😀 I mean there is no way on God’s Green Earth that he’d sign him!!! Is there??? 😀

2. Milo says:

I’m sure there are other one’s out there besides Lampard, he’s just the one I can think of immediately…

3. Twig says:

What of Kanu? He’s still kicking about with Pompey I believe. :-p

Milo, Fat Frank is not a bad idea. I know many fellow Gooners have a big dislike of him, but I have little doubt he would give his all and would have a good influence on our young talents. He would be an option..

Twig, he is apparently a free agent… 🙂

6. William says:

If only RVP had stayed if Arsenal offered him what he wanted.I know no player/guy is bigger than Arsena.If not for RVP,do you think Arsenal could have played in the cl?

7. JackFact says:

Only read the title – and based on that title – Are you F***ing kidding?
    VanBommell is just an older Cattermole with less pace, and Seedorf was owned by Huddlestone two years ago, yep, fat-boy no-talent Huddlestone.
    So I’m presuming you’re talking about signing these players 10 years ago, ‘cos if you meant recently, the funny farm awaits.

Hi William,

Van Judas left us in the lurch, after he burned his bridges with the club and Wenger. He wanted out for a better chance to win something and loads more cash. The club and manager that made him were pushed aside with no regrets or shame. No spine, no honour, no loyalty…. I despise the fecker so much! 😈

JackFact, let just say we differ on this one.

10. James says:

When I clicked on this link, I was expecting it to be a post from the archives.

While I agree we need more experienced heads and leaders (not necessarily players 35+), Van Bommel and Seedorf are certainly not cut out for top level football anymore.

Lampard’s never going to come here, but if we could sign a Xabi Alonso or Lucho Gonzalez, we should do it, and forget about “killing” the careers of a Diaby, Ramsey or Coquelin, They’ve had plenty of opportunities and haven’t been up to scratch on a regular enough basis.

Either Wenger gets ruthless, or he gets out of this once great football club.

James, you are fixated with age. How old are Scholes and Giggs and how valuable are they still to the Mancs, both on and off the pitch?

Van Bommel or Seedorf would have made a huge difference this season, no doubt about that in my mind.

12. James says:

Not fixated with age at all. Giggs and Scholes are completely separate cases to Seedorf and Van Bommel. They’ve been at Man Utd their whole careers and are legendary figures. Van Bommel is not going to have 1% of the passion for Arsenal that Giggs has for Man Utd; nor does he have half the ability of Giggs.

I’d take Giggs (unlike Seedorf and Van Bommel, he has proven he can still play at the highest level in 2012-13) if there was any possibility of doing so, but experienced leaders like Lucho, who are still capable of performing at the top level, are the calibre of players Arsenal should be signing rather than Seedorf and Van Bommel, who would only succeed in adding to an already over inflated wage bill.

They would have been invaluable signings 3-4 years ago, but that isn’t the case now. They’re playing at their right level – Eredivisie and Brasileirao.

13. Mike says:

Yup and that is why it is was such a blow to the team to have let so many top talents Leave the club instead of moving hell and earth to sign them on to long term contracts.And do what ever is needed to keep them happy. BUT NO Wenger and the board even limited arguably the GREATEST player Bergkamp to one year at a time contracts at the end. I always wonder if Vieira really wanted to leave or if it was the club that would not give him a contract that was equal to his worth. Well that is water under the bridge but I think that record shows it was a mistake to in the youth policy and let all the veterans go.

14. Mike McDonald says:

Total
    You may know this already but one of the players that Van Persie suggested to Wenger last May was Mark Van Bommel.
    Wenger refused and this was part of RVP’s dissatisfaction.
    RVP saw we lacked leadership and winners.
    Seedorf would have worked too. Speaks English, can play 4 positions and has won everything for over 20 years.
    I think that Phil Neville would be another good one. Could play dmid or left back. Won everything and a natural leader. Wouldn’t demand a regular spot either.
    All 3 would have challenged Arsene. That is why they are not playing for us

15. Nice one. 🙂 I wrote an article about similarities between Arsenal and Ajax not very long ago: http://allarsenal.com/news/story-ajax/

Van Bommel? He seems to be one of those dirty players you hate when they play for the opponents and adore when they play for your team. I remember him from that match against PSV that ended 1:1 in Eindhoven. He was literally everywhere on the pitch. When he went to take one of the corners for PSV, I expected him to make a cross into the box and be the first one to get on the end of it as well.

Seedorf is a special class.

We should had signed Vieira from Manchester City or directly from Inter. If only we had him in 2010-11…

16. Milo says:

I think that we could have a shot at someone like Xabi Alonso, which was said earlier. He might be on the wane a bit, but he is still a leader of men, albeit a quiet one, and has played at the highest of levels. Plus he knows and loves English football!!! I know he’d probably cost around 10-14 million pounds to sign, not counting his wages, but it would make sense. We were sooooooo close to getting him from Liverpool a few seasons ago. I know you can never go back in time, but this one could be a bit of a back to the future kind of thing.

Alessandro Nesta would have been a great signing for our defense and could even have become a coach for us. I know he doesn’t have any past connection to the club, but he seems like a decent chap, who just happened to be one of the greatest central defenders of our time. I thought he could have played another season at the top level as well, but he chose to come to North America to play and eventually manage? Montreal Impact.

Who else is out there??? I can’t think of any right now, off the top of my head…

We were also linked with Del Piero last seaosn, and if he would have been willing to fit his salary in to our wage restrictions, I’m sure he would have been a good one as well!!! There’s still David Villa though!!! 😀 Right???

Morning all..
    William my brother.. Don’t you ever mention about RvP in this site.. hehehe.. A lot of ‘angry bird’ will knock you down.. hahahahaha..

TA.. I love both of them.. Not only because there are good in their position but also they are Dutch.. hehehehe..
    But let not mention the old guys.. David Villa also.. hehehe..
    We need the strong and young guys..

What do you think about rumours of 70 mil for Wenger to spend..??
    Will it be true..?? With such big amount.. (at least for us.. hehehe..) who will Wenger bring in..?? If we only need 3 players.. then we can bring 20 mil above player.. hehehe.. Who will that be..?? I prefer Isco, Strootman and Lens..

@VCC: Are we going another UMF league..?? Or are we still in a ‘International mourning’ after beaten 3-1 by Munchen..?? hehehehe..

Ta – I might have disagreed with you in a more gentle way, but JackFact is spot on? Did you take something before you wrote this blog?

Let me just add, before I get back to my ‘serious work’, and it links to Milo’s story yesterday.

My reason for ‘choosing’ the Gunners as my second team, until my hometown club dropped out out of the top tier, when I promoted to my team of choice … that is, if I wanted to have any interest in watching games (this over a similar period to Milo’s as it happened), was largely based on the players I liked …

If Van Bommel signed last summer, I doubt I would be writing on this or any other Arsenal blog! Good grief, it took me a long time to get over Dennis Bergkamp’s deliberate and petulant stamp near the corner flag all those years ago! Van Bommel has no redeeming features.

As Arteta-8-ball said above about players you actually hate in other teams, but for me, I hate them in ‘my’ team as well. Coventry signed that niggly little b*st*rd Dennis Wise from the Chavs, and I could barely bring myself to go to the matches, despite being a season ticket holder.

Seedorf lost his pace a few season’s back and would do diddly squat for Arsenal apart from on the training ground. I think you have a very strong pair of rose tinted glasses on if you think otherwise?

I am sorry if this knocks at two of your idols, but really, you are kidding??????

19. macko says:

hello friends English
    We do not have need to player like Lampard to pay a fortune
    we must have confidence in the new generation entering and mix with player like Arteta and even sagna who are not of young perdreaux …
    We have no need big things to get an team of killer just an attacker instinct with a striker and a DM after in our young people we have everything we need!!
    Take example of Lyon who plays very well with a team of young players;)

20. Red Arse says:

Morning Everyone, 🙂

Morning RA and other fine fellow Gooners 🙂

22. Red Arse says:

Hi TA,

Good Post and an interesting suggestion to stabilise the team. 🙂

While reading I was almost convinced that you may have a very useful idea, but in the final analysis it is looking back – to the future.

A club of Arsenal’s stature should not have to rely on yesterday’s stars.

We must buy quality players with a future, not make do with players who are coming up to retirement and looking to boost their pension pot.

(Well, we had to disagree on something eventually!) 😀

James, we don’t have a Giggs or Scholes we could call upon, but we still could have done with the expierence and mentorship skills of somebody who has done it all. Van Bommel or Seedorf are total professionals who would have given their all and added so much to this squad. I am a firm believer that we will win nothing until we have on-field leadership by at least one or two who have won everything and guide our talented players towards success.

There might be other successful candidates, and I am not fixated on the two Dutchmen, and we have clearly missed the boat on both of them anyway. The post is trying to make a bigger point.

Hi Mike,

I totally agree re Vieira – we should never have let him go, if there was any chance of keeping him. His leadership skills would have been invaluable till about two years ago…. 😦

25. alexgunners says:

Hi TA,

I agree that some of these players are getting on in terms of age but they are still class. That is exactly what we are missing in our squad. No one with a winning mentality, like it or not that affects us a great deal.

Seedorf is playing for my Brazilian team Botafogo. He has transformed them from a lower half of the ladder team to a top 8 finish. The only difference in their team this year was Seedorf. The only reason he has gone to play in Brazil is due to his commitments for next years World Cup. The guy is still class and I rate him highly.

Great post. We do need to bring already made champions into this team especially in this transitional period. To lead and to show others the winning and fighting spirit they possess until we start to play The Arsenal way again and actually start challenging for trophies.

Mike mcD, welcome.

I did not know that at all, but it does not surprise me. Thanks.

Phil Neville is not a bad shout at all. Not of the same stature as Van Bommel or Seedorf, who both have incredible charisma and personality, but with tons of experienced and excellent communication skills….. hmmmmm….

Hi Arteta-8-ball

I will read your article a bit later, after I have responded to everyone. Really looking fwd to it! 🙂

Agreed on Vieira, and yes Van Bommel was that sort of player. In fact, he is not that dissimilar to Roy Keane, but he talks real sense on and off the pitch and knows about winning at all cost and what works and does not work. He will undoubtedly become a great manager.

Milo, Alonso is a fine call. Has all the characteristics of a Van Bommel or Seedorf and speaks the language too… hmmmm…. I like it 🙂

Henry, those young guys need guidance and leadership to lead them to the path of success – it does not just happen with technical/tactical qualities alone.

Gerry, winning football needs a element of steel in it. Steel combined with a winning mentality and experience of winning trophies is what Van Bommel represents. Seedorf is gentler and is just very experienced and would be a great on and off field mentor too.

So no, I am not kidding – I am talking about a very serious point my friend.

Macko – with Van Bommel or Seedorf in the team, Lyon would probably not have gone out of the UEFA league yesterday. That is what these sort of players still bring – know how, leadership, invaluable experience.

Hi RA,

Both players would not have come to boast their pension pot – they are not that sort of player. They still could have gone anywhere. Van Bommel returned to his beloved PSV to guide them back to success – he saw it as his mission, and Seedorf went to Brazil I guess because it was an adventure.

Yesterday’s stars make tomorrow’s: we are missing that element badly currently. This is my main point in the post. Of course, I am all for getting top quality, experienced players with at least a few years left of top football in them going forward. But looking at this squad, we really could have done with Van Bommel or Seedorf having joined us last summer.

Wow Alex, Botafogo is your Brazilian team!!! It just shows you how small the world is. Many thanks for the feedback on his current performances, and I am sure he would have had a great impact on our squad. I am absolutely convinced he would have been invaluable against Bayern on Tuesday, sitting next to Arteta or Wilshere in our ‘2’ – reading the game like no other and leading and coaching our team into the right positions and tactics.

34. alexgunners says:

TA, to be honest when he signed for Botafogo, I thought it was a hoax from the Brazilian media, I only believed it when I read it on his personal site.

It helps that the economy there is so strong now and we can retain players like Neymar as well as attract overseas talent.

That is good indeed Alex. I wish I could say the same about the Dutch league / economy. 😦

Mike McD.

If Arsenal signed Phil Neville, I would stop watching them. End of.

Henry…waiting for your selection of five.

38. macko says:

TA sorry but I do not agree, even if it is the players’ experience between us and not always a good influence on the game, football and a team sport and the best things for us in this case would be to take a player like titi Henry is and the soul of the club and not the end of their career players who will come to take in rather than do the work of elders.
    Lyon with or without van bommel ils’s’aurait lost, I think rather that failed to Lyon is Lioris!!

Have to disagree on this one Total. I think signing either of those two players would be a backward step, and we certainly can’t afford any of those at the moment. 😉

@VCC : Oke champion..
    I vote for : MU and Everton Away and
    WBA-Sunderland, Fulham-Stoke and Newc-Soton draw..

I wish Chelsea and Spurs lose and Arsenal win..
    So we can narrow the gaps.. hehehehe..

Fair enough, VCC 🙂

Am surprised so very few agree with me on this one. For me it could not be more obvious that we are missing old, experienced heads who have done it all and can lead and mentor the rest of the team. They are all crying out for it at the moment, and everybody is looking at poor, young Wilshere to take them by the hand.

But it is what it is, at least you and others took the time to read my post. 🙂

Out for a while now, catch you all later. 🙂

Cheers Henry, your odds are 139-1…….sorry to see you slip up the past two weeks.

Here you go Vics baby. i recommend every one puts some money on my selection. Its a very sound investment

Arsenal 5-0
    West Brom
    City
    Norwich-Everton Draw
    Newcastle-Saints Draw

We could certainly do with a seen it done it type of player TA. I would have taken seedof of van bumfouler like a shot. People like Ramsey and Jack could realy learn the tactical side playing with these kind of guys.

We do have a good mix of youth and experience now, but we are missing a seedof type.

45. Herb'sArmy says:

Dear oh dear, Total. If only apples were oranges. If only Arsenal had a decent manager…
    Watching the Arsenal – Bayern Munich game the other night was exactly like watching the 2009 CL semi-final 2nd leg against Manchester United. But just as we’ve passively accepted that top four and not challenging for the PL title is perfectly acceptable, the round of 16 in the CL has now become our fall-out point, and many Arsenal supporters are comfortable with that too, so the slow painful car-crash continues, whilst many very intelligent people sit back and either fully endorse or applaud it. Only at Arsenal is this ridiculous corruptive and corrosive complacency allowed to prosper. There is little to love or even enjoy what we have become.
    UMF 1 Selections:
    Everton – win
    Man Utd – win
    Reading v Wigan – draw
    Newcastle v So’ton – draw
    West Ham v Tottenham – draw.

46. Milo says:

Total, I think it’s the title that got most people to disagree with you. I think they agree with the principle, but not the selection of players, particularly Van Bommel. And when you brought up Phil Neville??? That is when they probably turned against you the most!!! I wouldn’t have minded Seedorf to be honest though. We have close ties to Ajax, a club of Seedorf’s past, and it would have been viable.

Phil Neville was NEVER good enough for Arsenal…even when he was with United. Remember, when he was with them we were much stronger than we are now!!! But even now, with the state we are in, he wouldn’t be good enough. We already have Sagna who has been a great right back. Granted, he hasn’t won anything, but sometimes quality matters, and Phil Neville was never of a high enough quality in my opinion.

cheers Herb and Terry.

Herbs odds are 136-1
    Terrys odds are 65-1

Terry, when are the ghosts of the thirties going to stop stirring and deliver?

Herb get back on here blogging 😉

Hi Herb,

I think if you read my recent articles and comments you will notice I am not a happy Arsenal bunny at the moment.

Milo, I don’t mind that not many are agreeing with me and the title covers exactly how I see it. So no regrets, my Canadian friend. I did not mention Neville, but responded to another blogger about it. Neville is of vital importance to Everton’s current good run and I have respect for that. It remains to be seen whether he would bring that much to Arsenal but it was a suggestion worthy for consideration.

As I said earlier to VCC, there is leadership vaccuum at Arsenal and my sollution would have filled it considerably. I am still waiting for better solutions, although Alonso would go a long way.

And Terry is agreeing with me and he has the DNA of the wise ancient Greeks 🙂

hahaha, its true TA, i do tend to agree with everything you write, but i think thats more likely to cause you to lose credibility so i will help you out.

That Totalplops half wrights Totalbolixia. As if some one like that Van Bummall would improve us. Just coz hes played for some top teams and played in a world cup final. The blokes crap. Hes got a 1970s hairstyle for fucks sake.

And that Seedoff geezer, alright he holds the world record for champion leagues win, but what can wilshere learn from him?. Jack cant pull birds with him around. What happens if he starts his 80s Lionel Ritchie routine? the women would run a mile

Vicks baby, the Ghosts of the Thirties will deliver. Our rise to the top is inevetable. The spirit of James, Copping, Drake etc is what Arsenal are all about and no bad managership, coaching, ownership, or players will stand in the way of that spirit rising again.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring (and will hpefully deliver very soon hahaha)

I hope your right stretch. This Arsenal supporting mullarkey is driving me crazy at the moment.

Total, not saying I’m right of course, you may well be right with the older heads of those two. I just don’t know what would be best for us at the moment!!!!!????????

I hate to say it but I’m losing my faith in Wenger slowly, and I don’t like it.

Total/Stretch…….the problem is, any one can go off form, but we don’t seem to learn from our mistakes. We keep on doing the same old same old all the time.

imo Wenger has filled his team with too many mediocre players, I will not list them as its all been done before.

Do you remember when GG brought in a midfield with pedestrian players Selley etc, we looked very ordinary. That is where I see us now.

Agreed VCC, we’re not learning or improving enough; especially at the back. Recent results have rocked my faith quite a bit!

Vics, your right in what you say. Have we improved in the last 4 years? Do we have similar problems now as we did then? I think we all know the answers to that.

i have always believed that Wenger is more of a strategist than a tactician, and have even disagreed with TA over this.

What i mean by this, and i accept its just my opinion so is probably bollix, is that Wenger moulds teams to play in a consistent and uniformed approach which encompasses more than one saeson and this ethos goes down to the reserves and junior teams as well.

i believe that in the long run this will work. An example is Barca generaly doing better than Madrid when it could be argued that Madrid have more offensive talent, though i fully accept that we are no Barca.

Were the strategy has failed is that Wengers style of playing is based on a team staying together and then steadily adding ingredients to it. We all know that in the last 4 years we have lost player after player

Personaly, ever since i started posting, i have only wished for one thing, and that is we somehow aquire an ability to retain our players. i am convinced Wenger knows this is the key to building a great team again

There might come a time when the balance of the arguments sway me towards a change, but for me, that time hasnt come yet.

55. Highbury Harmony says:

While I agree with you in principal that an experienced vet would help steady the ship, I don’t think we have enough high caliber players in place to support having them in the squad. What I’m trying to say is that we need another world-class talent or two before adding an experienced vet; the vet would be taking up a valuable roster spot that could have been given to someone else (if they were signed long-term for instance).

However, given our CURRENT squad for this season, I believe an experienced vet would have been invaluable in guiding and calming our younger and new players. Personally, I would have preferred signing Henry on loan since he means something to this club and is proven in the PL. I also agree with others that Vieira should have been re-signed and that Arsenal’s policy of only offering 1 year contracts to players over 30 is rubbish (much like most other Arsenal policies that have held us back over the years).

Agreed HH, there is still a need for more quality as well. I witnessed the impact Rijkaard made on Ajax back then, and that is why I strongly believe a veteran, inspirational player would have been very useful this season.

Terry/Total………All just my opinion……….Wengers list of recent signings have mostly been “alright” players, not outstanding quality.

Koscielny/Vermaelen/Mertesacker/Giroud/Ramsey/Chamhk/Podolski, are all mid table players and our team at the moment cannot afford to just go through the motions, we need some Marquee signings. If he had done so, then some of the above would be ok as a supporting role.

Couple all the above and selling a top striker for £24 million pounds (to your biggest rival) just dosen’t bode well in my book.

Then we have two sick notes, ie Diaby and Rosicky, together with potential players in Ox/Jenkinson/Coquelin, we are full of players not at the level we should be.

Pour the above into a melting pot and you come out with the ingredient we put out onto the playing field……= Simply not good enough??????

Get David Dein back on track and sign three top players. Then , and only then will we be able to compete.

Our fringe players can then assist those marquee players and mould themselves into a cohesive unit.

I’m beginning to find Herb’s side of the fence seems to make sence.

Tell me I’m wrong Terry, and everything has just been a dream.

58. Highbury Harmony says:

VCC, my UMF League Predictions (I deferred my last week of 6 picks to this week):

Manure away win
    Reading vs. Wigan draw
    Norwich vs. Everton draw
    $hitty vs. Chavs draw
    WBA vs. Sunderland draw
    WHU vs. Spuds draw

cheers Harmony….your odds are = 810-1…you’ve got some catching up to do. Good luck.

What i would say Vicks is that Wengers teams are built around the ability to keep his players together. i feel the man deserves a chance, now his young British crop have signed up and the purse strings are loosening, to build another team

Herbs view, and he will correct me if ime wrong, is that the malaise is not just with Wenger but with the whole structure and ownership. In other words we need a new manager and ownership.

In many ways i can see this view but will not pass judgement on it yet. Reddders posted on another place today showing that what the owners and Directors take out of the club is small in the grand scheme of things.

If with the new sponsership deals and tv money the owner starts taking money out of the club and the bank account swells, with players leaving continuing then i will be the first to say Herbie was right all along.

One things for sure, we will know a lot more in the next year or two

But i wish to make one thing clear on my views. Arsenal will rise again, wether it be with this current owner or manager i am not sure, but the Club is bigger than them and us all.

One way or another, we will rise again.

61. Head Cuckoo says:

Dear Mr Total van Klompenstein

We, The Secret Society of the Cuckoo Club have been watching your progress with interest and of lately ( the last two days ) you have raised the bar, first by your giggling frothing at the mouth notion that a certain Mr Song is a Beast ! and today your post has raised it even further. So without any hesitation…..erm…….erm……erm…… we cordially invite you to become a member.
    Unbeknown to your goodself, there are quite a few BKers who are already members, alas we cannot confide in you at present who they are as it is as it says….a Secret Society !.

Yours sincerely

Head Cuckoo

PS

We also have another club called….The Secret Society of Beaver Bashers !. Interested ?.

Yours sincerely

Head Beaver Basher

Terry …”We will rise again”……yes, but we may be dead by then.

hahahaha that is such a gloomy thing to say Vics but it made me laugh out loud.

There is something delisiocsly funny about us eventuly winning the league and champions league but by that time were all dead. I wish i could come back and laugh at the deliciousness of it. hahahaha

64. glic says:

Evening Smegaticians 😆

I did write something but it disappeared and after 500 miles of Orcness I cant be bothered to write it again !. 😦

Ancient Vic Skysplurter, you are being drawn to the darkside of Sith Lord, Daft Herb, use the forks of your zimmersaber !.

GLiC…I’ve tried to remain positive, but even my Son ain’t bothered in watching the game tomorrow.

He says we pay the most as supporters but get mugged off with mid to lower class players, and you cannot argue with that.

The thing is I cannot see it changing under Wenger anymore. He will carry on doing the same things and will be stubborn enough not to alter his wrongdoings.

hahahaha, the only other websites i ever go on are hair loss ones. Theres one particular bloke that cracks me up. Some geezer posted an article about how hair cloning should be available by 2030. this bloke responded “f..ks sake, i need the fu**ing cure now, women keep blowing me out. Probably be dead by then anyway” hahahahaha

67. glic says:

Vic`s, I`m confident you will see a dramatic change this Summer !. Or the one after that !. hahaha

Stretchadopolous, when was the last time you had a full REAL barnet ?. I ask, as there is one definate cure for hair loss !. So if you started to lose your hair at say 25, then if you had castrated yourself then, you would have stopped the hair loss process !. So what what would have been your choice…..Ken Barlows mop and no Telescopic function or Bobby Charlton combe over and Hubble sized `scope ?. hahaha

glic….what about the summer after those? or the one after that…or the one after these…or the one after them……or the one after over…or the one after under…or the one after eight (I like them, after eights don’t you?) or the ones after I die……or the ones after you die …or the ones after Oh F%$* it, I’m going to watch the rugby tomorrow instead….borrix 2 it.

69. glic says:

Vic`s, as a lot of what I would call intelligent bloggers believe and have said, we have done the hard bit of the move and the debt`s are down, sponsorships and TV deals coming in left right and centre, a lot of the “dead wood” coming to contract ends, FFP is starting to bite and guess what….the club you love is in one of the best positions to take advantage of whats about to happen !. Surely AW deserves the chance to spend some dosh after all the years of penny pinching.
    If someone else came in and spent some money in the summer, it wont be because he thought AW never spent it, it will be because of all AW`s building the club up to reach that point !.
    How would you feel if you did all the hard graft and someone nipped in at the last minute to claim all the credit !.
    If he doesn`t do it in the next couple of years then fair enough, you will get your wish !.

That is very true Cornwall. Castration is the only way to stop it. My first wife was all for it, booked me int the clinic and everything, but last minute i bottled out. She was more disapointed than me. hahaha

If you go on to those hair loss forums it will crack you up. The way we debate and sometimes argue about arsenal they do it over hair treatments.

You get your doomers, the ones that think death will come before a cure

Your Trolls, Bastards that have realy got all there hair hahaha

Your optimists, that keep going on about several companies working on a cure and were a
    couple of years away. Ime one of those. hahaha

Your newbies, just started losing there hair and want advice on how to talk to women and style a comb over hahaha

And finaly your meds. they are the ones that take minox and propecia and come on whinging that hair is growing on there cock, or even worse that there cock is falling off, but its worth it because they spotted a new hair growing on there head hahaha

I understand all that glictorious, but my faith in Wenger spending wisely, has almost diminished.

Not sure of exact figures but lets say

Mertesacker = £10 million
    Podolski = £8 million
    Giroud = £12 million.

not have bought these and kept Bartley and purchased ISCO with the £30 million????? and switched the Oz with Myachi.

Yer, now I’m talking aren’t I?

Vics, its all to play for. We are entering a new era and it looks a lot more promising than the last several years

Youve watched us long enough to know that things in football change quickly. I didnt see 89 or 98 coming, but it did.

Arsenal are different class and will be chalanging for the top prizes very soon. Hopefully earlier than a cure for baldness. hahaha

Terry, hopefully before a cure for hair loss or glic’s cock falling off, and that wont be long either. 😉

hahahaha

I did know a bloke who got kicked in the goulies whilst playing football and had to have one removed. Apparently his face became more feminine and he didnt have to shave anymore.

a few years later we were at a dinner and dance and everyone was looking at him to notice changes in his personality. i just spent the whole night staring at his hair. hahaha

76. glic says:

hahaha I`m surprised the second wife wasn`t for the castration aswell !

I actually thought it was going to fall off today Vic`s, it was that cold with the wind chill factor that my Hampton started to shrink so far that it was more the size of a clitoris. I then started to get wet between the legs at the thought of lesbian sex with Shakira !. hahaha

UMF 1 League….I need 6 more entries please guys before KO tomorrow.

Oz
    PPP
    Alex
    Rocky
    Red Arse
    Total

cheers. latterz

I know what you mean glic…..it was flipping cold here too. Forecast is for more of the same over the week end.

Hopefully the Sun will shine on me on Sunday as it is my BDay, and Arsenal will make it a happy week end for me.

79. glic says:

Hope you have a great weekend Vic`s, you must have enough candles on your cake to light up Essex and be seen from space !.

80. glic says:

I bet when we go to watch the Reading game, me and Vic`s will be watching the match whilst Stretch watches the crowd for fine heads of hair. I`m suprised he hasn`t got a season ticket at Barnet !. hahaha

happy birthday Vicks

In all seriousness, with adequate stretching techniques cold weather should not be a problem. in fact, i recommend that as soon as the tempreture drops below 3 degrees you stop evertthing else and start to stretch immediatly

i know this can be difficult so my solution which your all wellcome to follow is to rip holes into your trousers front pockets allowing easy stretch access. You will still have the problem that you will look hunchbacked and making jerking movements so if some one confronts you tell them your having a fit. hahahaha

82. glic says:

F**k…….I thought that bastard in the Tesco`s chiller aisle the other day was having a fit and I told my missus to give him CPR whilst I went and found a medic, now wonder his frozen peas had defrosted by the time I had got back !. hahaha

Cornwall, if its below 3 degrees it wont be me staring at peoples barnets that you and Vics will have to worry about. hahahaha

84. RockyLives says:

Hello Gents
    Just popping in to leave some UMF predictions:

Arse v Villa H
    Naaarch v Everton A
    QPR v ManUre A
    Citeh v Chavs A
    Hammers v Spuds D

Hows it going Rocky? trust you are well

86. RockyLives says:

Hello Terry
    All well thanks mate – but been on the road again this week and very busy. Haven’t even been onto AA in the past couple of days.
    How are you?

Got to go. i am hitting an over thirties joint in Brentwood tonight and am going on my own and probably coming back on my own. hahaha

Have a good evening everyone.

88. RockyLives says:

Terry
    Are you sure it’s not a “born in the 1930s” joint?

Ime fine Rocky. I was sorry to miss you when you were over in London. Let me know next time your down and for a game and i will join you for a beer. TA can give you my email.

90. RockyLives says:

Will do Terry.

91. glic says:

Carefull Rocks, Stretch is about to dig for imformation on the condition of your Barnet, just tell him your a fellow combe overer …..even you`re not !. hahaha

hahahaha, its pretty good in there Rock. Hopefully some desperate bint will run her fingers through my transplant. If not, i will do it myself when i get home. hahaha

93. glic says:

Just hope you get a proper bint instead of the transvestite private dick your missus has hired to watch you !, hahaha

94. glic says:

I suppose you could always fake a fit when you discover his suspiciously long looking clitoris !. hahaha

95. RockyLives says:

I have luscious locks Glic… only problem is, they’re in the Kelsey colour range…

hahaha dont think Tranny Pete the builder will be in there tonight.

Got to go

Ome on Arsenal, give us a win this weekend for Gods sake.

Keep the faith

97. glic says:

Then that is music to Stretches ears Rocks. He will meet you in the Tavern and proceed to bull shit you about his Cretian head massage technique, by the time the Bee venom numbing lotion has had it`s affect, you will be puzzled by Stretches familiar lop-sided looking barnet and wonder where the cold breeze is coming from above !. hahaha

98. glic says:

I have the same style myself at the moment Rocks, it sounds like me , you and kelsey could pass as the Trannie Beverley Sisters !.

99. Milo says:

No, I know TA, you are definitely on to something with the principle of this post!!! I was banging on about this in a different post too…the need for veteran leadership.

VCC, I could never willingly not watch an Arsenal match!!! Even if we were in last place!!! Even if we got relegated to the second division I’d still bother to get up in the morning and turn the tele on to watch them, or turn the computer on to watch them. This is ONE year, in a whole history of seasons, as well as a tonne to come. You must have around another 30 years to live at least…I’d say that before you pop off, you will have seen us pinch a league title or two!!! 😀

Milo…..I’m older than you think.

and those scoundrels Rag, Tag and Bobtail (glic, Terry, Red Arse) make me worse. They have no respect for their elders. You wait till I get my hands on em.

Thanks Rockylicious…….your odds are 70-1. Rocks, you need some points sunshine, you have some catching up to do. Good luck.

Milo….I only jest about not watching Arsenal. I will find a pub somewhere or watch it on a stream, with a beer in hand wearing my Arsenal shirt.

I do enjoy Rugby Union though.

Terry , Brentwood is only up the road from me. Its full of old dykes so be careful, although they are not any worse than the ones in Launcestern, where the inbreds live. 🙂

103. Milo says:

Oh ok, I thought you were serious!!! 😀 My Dad is 71 and he’s not even worried about us not winning a title before he dies!!! 😀 Either he’s too worried to talk about it, or like me, he knows that we will win one before it’s too late!!! 😀 And who knows, maybe the most devout of Gooners get a free pass to the Emirates when we kick the can!!! 😀

104. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi Terry, in reference to your earlier comment, whether Stan Kroenke takes money out of the club or not, he has no passion for The Arsenal, its traditions, or football in general. He is probably wealthier than the Glazer’s, yet Arsenal and Manchester United’s philosophies couldn’t be more different. Arsenal are the fifth richest football club in the world but all the hierarchy do is bleat and hide behind Chelsea and Manchester City’s spending power. We have that spending power and then some, so it sends out the message to me that the club are too cowardly to compete, or that the BoD see Arsenal as a cash-cow. Such is the success of Manchester United’s philosophy, not only are they among the elite blue-chip clubs, they virtually print money. Whose would you say is the most intelligent approach? And not just top four for 17 years, never out of the top three since 1991.
    My opinion of Arsene Wenger is that he is an excellent puppeteer, politician and illusionist. He is the master at making people believe they have everything when in reality they have nothing. He expects us to celebrate qualifying for the CL as though it were a title win, as seen with the players over-excitement at West Brom, for finishing a distant 19pts behind second place. He manipulates people into believing his ‘vision’ and his evaluation of ordinary players, like Almunia, Squillaci, Silvestre, Santos, Arshavin, Walcott (who at 19 “was better than Messi…”), Gervinho, the list is endless. Would any other major club reward players who are permanently injured, and give them generous new contracts for giving practically nothing in return, like we have done for Diaby and Rosicky? Are there any examples of another club doing this, or is it unique to Arsenal? He has wasted £millions on players nowhere near good enough, and at any other major club with serious ambition that alone would be a sackable offence.
    Of the current squad, who challenges the players to be better? Who keeps Szczesney on his toes and threatens his first-team place? Nobody. And even though the whole world can see he isn’t ready to play consistently at the top-level, our manager would rather play him with an injury than trust his deputy, or bring a goalkeeper in that represents the club’s status.Every one of our central defenders are error-prone, which they display with alarming regularity, even more worrying when one of them is the club captain. Sagna is enduring a nightmare spell and Jenkinson isn’t ready to step-up. Arteta is beginning to show his age and slows us down, Walcott is still after all this time, hit and miss, new signings Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud have done okay without ever really convincing that they can go up to the next level. Ramsey keeps getting played out of position which only agitates supporters, and leads to more questions about his overall worth, and Oxlade-Chamberlain has not stepped-up as expected. Young Jack Wilshere is our only real shining light, and already we are over-reliant on him, having over-burdened him. My worry is that if we continue to under-perform he won’t want to stay, or the other scenario, whereby if Chelsea, Barcelona or either of the Manchester clubs offered £25m in the summer, would Arsenal turn it down?

GLiC, I will be lighting up the sky with all my candles on Sunday that’s for sure.

I might even get a new Zimmerframe, or even one of Terry’s syrups. As long as I have some super glue cos its mighty breezy and cold here in Essex.

Hi Herb. Hope your well. We’ve had a bad few weeks buddy.

Hopefully the boys can put a smile on our faces tomorrow. Fingers crossed.