Arsenal v Aston Villa: Three Positives and Two Negatives – Oooh Santi Cazorla!

Super Santi delivered the goods today!

Super Santi delivered the goods today!

Three positives:

1. Nacho’s wing-play and crossing: I thought Monreal had a good game today. Every time he comes and supports the attack on the left wing, Nacho makes himself available and exhibits excellent composure. His final ball is also very good, and it looks like he will be an improvement on Gibbs who still needs to develop further with regards to his delivery into the box. His pullback for Cazorla’s second goal was pure class, but there were more examples of good delivery into the box today: a very promising development.
  2. Jenkinson’s composure and general wing-play: I thought Carl did well today. He put a number of sharp balls into the box, especially in the second half. He also played with good drive and hunger, and had some fantastic battles with Agbonlahor. One or two headers could have been better and his link-up play with Arteta was a bit rusty, but that is to be expected after not playing many games in recent months.
  3. Cazorla’s finishing: Once again Theo, and especially Giroud, did not have their shooting boots on, but Cazorla was in fine form today and scored a brace in the process. The diminutive Spaniard was everywhere and seemed to revel in his free role today. He worked very hard; helping out the team as much as possible up-front, in the middle and at the back. It has been a while since we had a midfielder who makes such great runs into the box and Santi positions himself really well. Many a player would have blasted the ball for his second goal, but his composure and technique made sure that this chance was not wasted. In his free role on the wing we might get a new fox in the box, and today Santi has been worth his weight in gold: without him we would not have won today.

Two negatives:

1. As a unit, our defense still lacked organisation and structure: Once we scored the first goal, Villa were able to build up decent attacks on a number of occasions; and both our midfield and defense were not cohesive and well-disciplined enough to take back control, especially in the first half. The game flowed up and down, and we were wasteful in not scoring the second goal during that phase. However, Villa also had a couple of decent chances; and had they scored, it would not necessarily have been against the run of play. Diaby had started strong in the first 20-30 minutes, but faded away towards the end of the first half, and Arteta was turned over a few times as well. As our two ‘DM’s’, Arteta and Diaby have some way to go, and on days like these, I am still smarting about our loss of Alex Song last summer. I also felt the triangle of Mertesacker, TV and Szczesny looked unorganized, or should I say allover the place, at times. The Villa goal was a well-worked counter-attack by them, although our fullbacks did not cover themselves in glory: Jenkinson’s header should have been aimed better and Nacho should have closed down Weimann’s shot. However, from that distance he should not be able to score and I thought Wojcieh should have done better. Our defense remains an area in need of improvement.
  2. Lack of clinical finishing by Theo and especially Giroud: Football is a team sport, and let me say first of all that both Theo and Giroud worked hard for the team; especially the Frenchman worked his socks off. However, both players lacked composure and clinical finishing skills in the box today, and especially Giroud lacks quality at the moment. It looks like he is trying too hard again, which seems to influence his decision-making and execution quite a bit. I like Giroud for his work-rate, but hard work will not be enough to make it at Arsenal, and the jury remains out about him. Theo made some good runs on the wing and put a few more than decent balls into the box, but him and Giroud do not have a great understanding between them as yet, which is also costing us at the moment.

In conclusion:

A vital win at this stage of the season and well-deserved, I thought.

Although, it should be said that Villa played also well today, and did not just park the bus against us. They soaked up pressure well and were regularly dangerous; especially on the break.

Santi made a real difference today and I am really happy he stepped up when our three midfielders; Arteta, Diaby, and to a lesser extent, Jack, did not have one of their best performances.

Eight days rest now, and time for the team to reflect on the last week and get ready for the all-important derby with the Spuds. We will need to be more solid in our defensive play, and dominate the midfield area better, as well as being more clinical up-front. Not much to do then! 😉

Written by: Total Arsenal.

68 Responses to Arsenal v Aston Villa: Three Positives and Two Negatives – Oooh Santi Cazorla!

1. William says:

Wenger said Arsenal can bridg the gap with the top sides. I disagree on this display which is very much like most of the games we have seen.They laboured to beat ateam fighting for their lives.Onthis showing much needs to be done.

Yes William, much still needs to be done. It is still bizarre that we could be two points away from third place, though, if the Chavs get beaten by Citeh tomorrow.

The game against the Spuds could make or break our season: the performance as well as the result (and a draw would not be a disaster at all…).

3. Milo says:

I like Gibbs!!! I think this season he has proven himself to be more than effective when crossing and passing the ball. Sooooooooo many times this season Gibbs has put good balls in to the box, and no one made a run to get on the end of them. Then in his last match he didn’t put any good balls in to the box, but that was only one match. If you want wing play from a full-back, he’s your man, because he can also dribble very well. I wouldn’t be surprised if next season he’s still first choice over Monreal. Not that Monreal doesn’t deserve to be first choice, but I think Wenger prefers Gibbs to him. I like Gibbs a lot as well, so I wouldn’t be gutted if that is the case. The only thing Monreal has over Gibbs is his defensive positioning. Today though, I saw him get caught up-field on a number of occasions, like Gibbs does. I think this was mainly due to the fact that Arsene tells his full-backs to attack. You can’t be two places at once, so it’s not Nacho’s or Gibb’s fault.

4. Jamesofsouthwales says:

And there was me saying Santi needs a rest lol, good lad saved our bacon by the sound of things TA. Haven’t seen any of the match yet il have to watch it on Arsenal player but sounds like we were abit lethargic and cautious. Suppose it’s to be expected after the week we’ve had.

5. William says:

So Wenger has been in the business for 30 years an d won’t listen to his critics. Let him explain why MU have beaten Arsenal 9 times in eleven games.The gunners won only once.
    I tell him why. He may not see it like other fans. It’s is similar to the Hull game a few seasons ago. The gunners pulverised Hull but could not finish the job . With MU it is different. All the red faced has to do is wait for the gunners excessive passing to break down. A swift counter and with millions of acres of space,how can Ronaldo and Rooney not score.
    I ex pect Mu to win again if Wenger plays the same way.

Morning all..
    Cazorla is wonderful..
    And yes.. another hard games.. but We passed.. and next week again Spurs will be our turning point.. If We do what We did last season.. then We can be optimist to stay in the UCL next season..

I wonder why Wenger did not give Rosicky a chance.. He did well in his last two games.. and can made a different in our Attacking games.. Maybe if he was in for Diaby not Ramsey.. I think We would be better..

@Milo.. I think Gibbs maybe transform to a LW someday.. like Bale did.. He is still young.. A lot thing may happen.. We never know.. hehe..

@ William my brother.. We must trust our team.. They will do their best.. And will fight fir the best.. And I akways believe that We will overcome Spurs and MU.. and be at the third position at the end of this season.. hehehe..

Go Gunners.. VCC..

7. William cousin says:

Henrychan says to trust the team which means Wenger.Well he said Arsenal are not that far off from BM. He is really deluded.Maybe Arsenal can beat BM but are unlikely to make it to the next round.Even if they were to get to the qf,I believe the other teams are sure to beat them.

Good Morning all BKers. How nice it is to wake up on a Sunday morning having just acquired three points, all be it a struggling three again.

Another positive Total is we had two full backs who can cross a ball.

It still worries me that Wenger still does not appear to have done much about our frail defence. They looked all over the place, again. It is imperative our manager addresses this problem in the summer, along with acquiring a top striker. I’m afraid Giroud is not the answer, yet again an example of cheap seconds. Working hard is not the answer to winning football matches. Yes it’s an important ingredient but you need composure and skill too, something Giroud sadly lacks.

@ William. I agree we are light years away from bridging the gap with our rivals.

@ Milo. Gibbs used to be an attacking left midfielder, Wenger converted him to a full back. Shame he didn’t give him some defensive coaching as well, Oh sorry Wenger doesn’t do defending I forgot that.

@ Henry. Cazorla was a star today. Apart from the obvious two goals, he worked his socks off and tracked back and supported his defence, clear MOTM.

@ James. Lethargic defending is and understatement. Our central defenders were inept and looked totally out of their depth.

Good morning fellow Gooners 🙂

10. Jamesofsouthwales says:

It’s a pain in the arse VCC, they have the talent but they seem to be unable to simply talk yo each other. How hard is it to say ill mark him you mark him Diaby/Arteta keep an eye on him etc. these lads need a kick up the arse

Hi Milo,

I like Gibbs as well but I disagree about his delivery. It is getting better but too many times the ball is nowhere near one of our players. Now you could say it is still a good ball and the strikers should anticipate his delivery better. Maybe, but I prefer Nacho’s ability to deliver the ball where a fellow player actually is. If we were to play 4-4-2 we could play Nacho and Gibbs both on the left. I will be interesting to see who will become our first team player, when they are both fit….

Hi JamesofSW

I have been a bit critical about Santi lately, but yesterday he drove the team forward. It must have nice for Jack to see that others can drive the team on as well.

13. bc says:

the subtle change of formation was also a positive 4312 is the way forward for us if diaby is fit. if not rosicky ramsey or coquelin can then come in. for me jenkinson should play rb as much as possible now and sagna should be converted to cb or moved on in the summer. however i dont think jenks is yet ready to play the big ones every weekso i would go for another rb as well as a another cb in the summer. we have a number of players diaby rosicky gibbs coquelin sagna ramsey and frimpong that are struggling every season with injuries and form related to injuries. 5 of those players are our back up m9dfielder whilst 2 were our first choice full backs someone needs to take a good look at this.

Hi William

I still rue the day when we played so well against the horrible Mancs but still lost to a nasty own goal of the egg head of Diaby.

Most top managers do not listen to (most of) their critics, but you are right that Wenger has made it easy recently for RedNose to beat us 😦

Hi Henry,

It remains a mystery why Rosicky is used so little these days 😕

HI William cousin,

The difference between Bayern and us is, they are a fully settled team full of confidence at the moment. They have also more quality throughout the team at the moment. But we made it easy for them with some dodgy defending, especially the second one. Agreed, though, we cannot win the CL this year, even if we were eliminate the Germans, which won’t happen realistically.

16. bc says:

other worries include keeper and centre back i am afraid that mertesacker koscielny vermaelen and miquel are simply not good enough to be first choice. squillaci is not evenworth mentioning. personally i would use sagna in there until the end of the season then i would buy a new rb and 2 cbs in the summer. as for the szcesney he has become complacent and is make too many errors. his command of his box is non existant and his positioning is also under question. once a very good shot stopper h3 now appears to be unable to hold the ball prefeering to parry! unfortunately none of fabianski mannone shea or martinez are in a position to challenge him but in the summer wenger must address this if h3 is still the manager.
    so i think we need 10 players in the summer and selling 17 is not impossible fabianski mannone eastmond sagna squillaci djourou santos denilson henderson diaby rosicky arshavin gervinho park chamakh bendtner watt

17. Jamesofsouthwales says:

Yeah just watched the game and Santi seemed to outshine Jack which was good to see but we need both of them to do it next week. I don’t think spurs are as good as they are being made out to be, seems they rely on Bale more than we did RVP last season going 1-2 goals down quite often.

Yes, VCC, our fullbacks were a big positive yesterday. 🙂

Hi and welcome bc,

I hope we will keep Sagna and use him as a CB going forward. We need experienced players who love this club and Sagna would be a big miss in my opinion.

Agreed on Szczesny, and I hope he will find his form soon again.

JamesofSW,

I guess Wilshere will be well up for the Spuds game. Two cup exits in a week will have affected Jack a bit, I reckon, and that’s why I am thankful of Santi to pick up initiative and lead the team to victory. Together they can master the Spuddies next weekend, but they need a solid defensive performance by the team as well…

Total….the way forward until the end of the season is a back line of Jenkinson…..Sagna…….?……….Nacho.

? = whoever is fit out of Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Koscielny…..preferably Vermaelen.

Spurs will rip Mertesacker to bits. Mind you, I think my Sunday side could do that. Lol.

We need a thorough clean out this summer. Just look at bc,s list and you can’t argue with that, except Sagna

I dont care about the summer at all. I care about now and the remainder of the season. Spurs are an average side, and we are better than them. But we need composure at the back, and clinical finishing up-front. Surely Arsene and Steve are getting this sorted now…

23. Manamongst says:

I really like the idea of Sagna moving to RB, Jenks and Coq (f necessary) are more than enough. Scouting-wise it’s easy to see how teams have been playing us with Verm and Sagna at FB:

Verm: should never be allowed to play FB; should probably slap himself for even attempting. He can’t even come close to tightly marking any attacker or even opposing FB, it was clear to see against Bayern.

Sagna: I would stick a fork in him at RB against decent opposing FB’s and capable wings. Defensively he can’t mark like he used to. But most importantly, if you observe, opposing sides are forcing play, or shall I say letting Arteta funnel play through him. For example against Bayern, Sagna shared the most touches with the CB’s which is also another problem.

Because it is par-for-course now that teams don’t respect our CB’s in the respect that they totally sag-off and double up on our play-makers.

It all seems a cause-effect spanning from the over-extension of Arteta. He’s being used as more or less a utility player that is some hybrid DM/CM; but he is nowhere near the athlete to even come close to doing this. Hence his over distribution to the likes of Sagna. He has not been nearly in the microscope that he should be. He is clearly what I like to call an “Opta-passer”, meaning; he worries more about his pass-completion rate than his positional effectiveness. He can’t allow himself or others to let the ball flow into areas the opposition wants, or more importantly into zones that are low percentage and slow play down.

Spraying 30-40+ balls to Sagna and allowing Mertz/Kos/Verm to take the easy way out is not doing Sagna any favors. Arteta’s mission should be to find sneaky…tricky…cheeky ways to get Jack/Aaron/Santi/Theo etc the most touches possible. We also need CB’s that can push the ball up the pitch with confidence and alleviate pressure on FB’s and allow us to set our heels into opposition’s final 1/3 with very little effort, they definitely don’t threaten opposition with accurate legs…

I fear they don’t watch film or even have break-down sessions.

For the past several seasons it hurts to see a United side that looks inferior but always seem to be telepathic with one another as far as general focus and commitment to do the most effective thing on the pitch no matter if you have to take two steps backwards to go forward.

On a similar note there is an unwritten code and a clarity of truthfulness, team-internal, that makes a difference in any sport…but seems most utilized as a norm in professional basketball. And that is clearly defining roles, abilities and deficiencies.

-For example does Wenger tell player x; “don’t pass the ball to player y in those areas because he is an inept crosser, or he doesn’t know how to look up and get player z the ball in the fashion that we know player z will be available? Wenger has always seemed the brand of manager that seems a bit preoccupied with not hurting feelings, whereas an SAF doesn’t seem like he would lose a gram of worry. SAF seems more effective in this sense as it leaves deficiencies out in the open to be addressed and not hidden, it also gives players that are on the fringes for specific reasons no reason to linger (see squilaci, Djourou, Denilson etc) pretending that they are simply off form.

Everyone seems to smile things off and leave a veritable haven for mediocrity and excuses

24. Manamongst says:

Correction:

***I really like the idea of Sagna moving to CB,***

25. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Good morning, afternoon, and evening Bk’rs 🙂

Thanks for the post Total, i spent most of the game with my hands in a prayer like state. I kept comforting myself (and others) saying that the 3 points were definately ours, whilst in my own privacy i was praying for some sort of divine intervention, in that this wouldnt again be one of those games.

I remember watching our first few games of the season and saying that i believed we were only in 2nd or 3rd gear and that we would become brutal when we hit our stride. I still believe we are capable of great things with this team, give and take a few players/positions but for me we are still stuck in low gear and confidence being at an all time low is preventing us from pushing on. Currently we are scraping through games by the skin of our teeth, and i feel that at any given moment, against any team in the world, we are prone to conceding which possibly could effect the outcome of our games (you explained this in your post on 2nd half performances). I really am glad that we scored an early goal, if not to settle the players at least to settle the nerves of the fans/supporters.

In saying all this though, i am so very very grateful for the much needed 3 points and i dont believe at this stage of the season that any criticism, negativity or finger pointing will benifit our cause or ease the minds of many disgruntled fans. All we can do, after realising it to be another transitional year, is get behind our team, stand in a united front against the media and pirahnnas that want to eat away at our proud club and trust that the management in charge of our team will do what is needed and steer this ship in the right direction and hopefully a minimum 4th place finish. One game at a time, and next season we can aim much much higher.

Hi Manamongst, fine comment and mostly agreed. Your observations of us using Sagna time and again are spot on, and it does not help he has not proper outlet anymore on the right wing. The combo of Sagna and Theo is working significantly less well compared to last year.

Hi PPP, also a fine comment and fully agreed with your last paragraph especially. Villa has the second best record at Ashburton Grove (only Chelsea did better) and were on a good away-run; we played midweek and had to overcome a big deception. We won. Three points and we put pressure on the Chavs and Spuds. Next game is something to look forward too again. Let’s focus on the positives, at least till the season is over. 🙂

28. Manamongst says:

Thanks TA,

Sagna and Verm seem a very keen pairing that oppocsition couldn’t disrespect. Verm is a very capable prober, and Sagna has had the caution of a CB.

Kos just pushes the panic button too much and Mertz just seems way too jittery and affected too much by his CB pair partner.

29. Red Arse says:

Great Post, TA, 🙂

I only saw parts of the game because the streams seem very patchy, but I did not care because we won!

What did strike me tho’ was that the defensive part of our game is as bad as ever. I do not wish to be too critical, based only on the bits I saw, but part of the defensive problem with being caught on the break, is that each time I got a glimpse, both Arteta and Mert seem to be treading water when trying to get back to deal with speedy attackers.

Nothing new there, but seeing snapshots makes it even clearer.

Anyway, that’s for another day, I am just enjoying being 1 point behind the Spuds — so let them sweat. Come on you WHammers!!! 🙂

30. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Total, did you get to see our kick-off?

Good observations from a dodgy stream, Redders. 🙂

I reckon both Arteta and Mert are suffering a bit confidence wise at the moment. Although I agree with everyone that our defence is an issue, we should not forget that we have not conceded that many goals in the last five games, especially if we exclude the game against Bayern.

And yes only one point behind the Spuds and two behind the Chavs – the hard facts are not so bad after all 🙂

Manamongst, I would love us to see Sagna-TV in the middle more often. I also wish we had a very strong DM in front of them…

Hi PPP, no I did not as yet, but I fully trust your observation! 😛

33. Emmanuel says:

Tank God we won.

34. glic says:

Morning Tampires 😆

Fine post Klompenmeisterstein.
    Just seen MOTD and I know it`s only highlight`s, but from them I would add another couple of negatives, loath him or hate him, Hansen picks out the real truth behind our sometimes dismal defending. Call it what you like lack of shape, discipline, formation, but the real killer is lack of pace getting back from corners and counter attacks, do our players wear Adidas/Nike Pb ( no, not Personel best ! ) !.

Szczesny……..I have always rated him, but maybe we have believed too much of our own hype, he is still not the finished article by a long shot, being such a big headed confident guy, has probably saved him to an extent as some of his mistakes would have confidence shattering for anyone else !. We have all heard about match-fixing scandals and if I was a neutral, I would have swore he let that goal in !. In the position he was in, Stretch could have neatly put his telescope away in it`s case and saved that shot with his syrup, there are over 6 billion people on this planet and our goalie was the only person who couldn`t save that f**king shot, unbelievably bad goalkeeping . Santi saved his blushes !.

35. glic says:

Also, Them Spuds will have a field day if we give them as much space as we gave Villa. We definately need a disciplined Le Cog protecting the back four if he`s fit. Some sort of DM beast is needed. I know AW says the game has changed, but I disagree, We have Beauty, just need a UMF to compliment it. We have some great talent, but sort out the defense first !.

Morning GLiC. …..”We have some great talent, but sort out the defence first”

We will see the same old, same old next week against the Spuds. Wenger simply does not do any defensive work/tactics on the training ground. He won’t even let Steve Bould do any.

Nice post TA. Agree with you positives and minuses. Theo was especialy poor, hope he picks up his form for the visit to our loveable neighbours.

A lot of talk about our defence so i will throw my tuppence in.

Think about this defence

Lehman
    Eboue
    Senderos
    Toure
    Flamini

Fantastic hey? hahaha. For me, that was the most effective defence that Arsenal have ever had under Arsene. It was the backfive that hardly conceded a goal as we got to the 2006 Champions league final. The midfield included Gilberto, Llunberg, Hleb etc who worked there socks off and a certain T. Henry played up front on his own.

My point is that it is unfair to pick on individuals. We will never know how good they are in our current circumstances because Arsene is trying to play a combination of Barca and Real Madrid.and the back five our constantly exposed.

We do not press hard enough, do not get back fast enough, and allow oppenents space in and around penaly box time to get shots in

Is this a sad indictment of Wenger? Not for me. The reality is that Arsene believes that his current approach is the right balance with the pool of players at his disposal to get us top four. Champions league 2006 was born out of nessacity not want.

More importantly, Wenger reckons that in the long run his approach could take us to the top and i agree and trust his idea.

In 97 and 2001 he was criticsied for been to attacking and could never win the league with such an approach. The critics were wrong, so what changed?

In both 98 and 2004 the adddition of the odd player and slight tactical tinkering was all that was required to change our fortunes around. The arrival of overmars and Petit and shifting parlour inside in 98. the arrival of campbell and the emergence of Henry in 2002 were major factors.

Arsene is no fool. He knows all about “balance” of teams and he will take us up a level again. The tools are slowly but surely been handed back to him. He is more than capable to keep his players together and more money is available to procure new players in the transfer market

in conclusion, we may seem “kamikaze” with our current attacking approach but there is a fundemental logic behind it. arsene has nver been a tactician, he is a stragegist. Wengers Arsenal will rise again and just when people are not expecting it.

38. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi VCC,
    I agree that our defence is way out of form, and i really did expect huge seasons from Kozzer (who was fantastic last season) and TV (who seems to have been affected by the leadership role) but that shit mob that fergiescum manages have let in more goals than us. I guess they cover for it with their attack, where as our strikeforce is still in its infancy and is yet to develop.

Chelski, Manure and spudz have all let in as many if not more goals than us, and sit above us. We have never been a defence minded team under Wenger, and i would not like that philosophy to change. I do however agree that our defence needs to be tweaked and a few basic training drills wouldnt go astray

39. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

I believe we would see a 50% improvement if we buy a solid (and speedy) defensive midfielder who knows how to sit and also sweep

40. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

*improvement in our back 4

Right, now for the serious business. Cornwall and Vics you put the hoodogogolies on me with all you talk about Tranies the other night.

I drove to Brentwood on my own and got a bit lost. Went down some road called Brentwood Road and thought i got to my destination. Big car park and lots of cars. spotted some bird in a car doing her makeup so got out to ask wether this was it.

Turned out to be a bloody geezer didnt it. He didnt know how to get were i wanted so i was forced to go inside to ask. There was about 100 Trannies in there and they all looked when i walked in. they must have thought i was the ugliest Tran they had ever seen, and what a shit wig.

Anyway, a couple of them were realy nice, gave me directions and even asked if i wanted a drink. but i said i was in a hurry and had to go.

One thing i noticed, there was a smutteing of real women in there. Maybe they were wives or girlfriends of the trannies, i dont know. But it did cross my mind that if i stayed i might have a field day with the real women, but then thought what if i get it wrong? hahaha

42. glic says:

Hahaha Stretch, were they a smuttering of real women though or just gorgeous rodgerable looking trannies ?. hahaha

PS

Let me make it quite cleer, there is no such thing as a gorgeous rodgerable trannie in my book, I was just looking at it from a rose tinted Stretch perspective !. hahaha

43. glic says:

Stretch. Did you just happen to notice a big trannie Polish goalie in that car park ?. Less tzatziki splashed in his eye`s and he might have saved that shot !.

Vics was right Cornwall. Apperantly Brentwood is a hotspot for Tranny get togethers. When i finaly got to the normal club i told a couple of girls what happened and after they had stopped laughing they confirmed Vics theory

No lie, when i got out of the car and asked the first tranny for directions i thought, have Vics and Cornwall done something here to wind me up?hahaha

They wernt even good looking trannies, just middle aged men getting there rocks off. Definatly taking my sat nav next time. hahaha

That was crap goalkeeping wernt it. Hope he plays well at Totnumb, got a feeling they will try a few long rangers against us,especialy that twat Bale. To be fair to monkey boy, he did give me good directions the other night. hahaha

46. glic says:

Hahaha Two things bugging me now. 1 ) How did Vicky know it was a trannie hotspot ?…………I suppose the answer is somewhere in his name !. hahaha

2 ) Back to footy. Why is Rosicky not being used much ?. I love his high tempo energetic game !.

hahaha, i wondered that Cornwall. i looked around too see wether he was in there but didnt see him. Maybe he spotted me first and hid somewere. hahaha

Not sure about Rosicky. Maybe hes not fully fit or something? Were would you play him anyway? i think the return of jack has limited his appearences.

Is it Dame Edna Vickerages birthday today? If it is, have a great day mate. Hope you enjoyed Friday night too. hahaha

49. glic says:

Hahaha Yes it is !. Happy Birthday Dame !. Hip, hip, hip replacement !.
    I reckon he`s a bit disposed at the moment, after a bout 100 Birthday Bumps they`ve had to call in the fire brigade with the cutting equipment !. It must look a mess….colostomy bag, metal plates, NHS hip replacements and Zimmerframe all tangled !. He does see the funny side of thing`s though……… his false teeth are still next to my computer pissing theirselves…….alright……..their on the end of my Hampton and I`m in the toilet having a slash !. hahaha

50. glic says:

It really does make you wonder about splashing the cash. Man City and the Chavs, all the money they`ve spent, neither in the CL or in Premier League contention !.
    We have to spend big in the Summer, but with AW`s recent history in the TW not being over fantastic, he has to be very carefull not to buy some over priced duds. In that respect you can understand his reluctance !. Saying that, certain types of class will always shine through, players like Cruyff, Messi, DB, Ronaldo, Pele, TH, Maradonna etc, we just have to find the new one`s…… like Neymar and Isco .

hahahahahaha, Cornwall that is so funny, hahahahaha

52. Highbury Harmony says:

Hi TA,

Thanks for the game report, it was a fantastic read! I agree with all the points you made and it was nice to see that AW and the squad read your report about quick starts and responded accordingly :).

The goal was clearly Szczesny’s fault, Monreal was defending two players and a shot from that far out has to be saved by the keeper. Ches was clearly daydreaming on the goal because the shot wasn’t even directly to the corner, but was just off the center of the goal. Really shocked at how poorly our midfield played as a unit yesterday, there were moments of brilliance but they were too few and far between. If we’re to get back on track and dominate games, our midfield play is the key.

Jenkinson and Nacho were excellent on the wings, both had a ton of determination and defended really well to neutralize threats on the flanks. Santi was obviously the man of the match and has looked much more driven ever since he started vs. Bayern. He’s re-energized and the free role has suited him well to run into space and make important plays.

definatly, its time to go big, and i dont mean by stretching. We have more money, and now is the time to take a punt.

I realy think a couple of top signings, and keeping everyone together could transform this team. Were not too far away, just need to add to it, not deplete it like recent seasons.

54. Highbury Harmony says:

How does one celebrate hitting the century mark VCC (glic told me you’re turning 100 hahaha!)?

Perhaps you should consider treating yourself to one of these:

All kidding aside, Happy Birthday VCC! Have a great day my friend :).

Bloody hell TA, and only £4.15. Inflatable too, so should go nicely with Vics other infatable collection. hahaha

hahahaha HH, thats what Vics looks like on Friday nights on his “special” visits to Brentwood

57. glic says:

I reckon Vic`s has one of those stairlift gadgets on his bed to make him go up and down with a added vibration mode !. hahaha

58. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hippy birthday Victoria. May all the best come your way 🙂

What’s that smell hahaha 🙂

hahaha Glic – you are in fine form today (except for you praising Hansen though!)! 😛

Hi HH, agreed on Szczesny needing to get more focussed and live up to his cocky self-confidence. And yes Santi was great yesterday! 🙂

62. glic says:

Totes, I did say loath him or hate him ! hahaha

63. Highbury Harmony says:

hahaha Terry, but instead of a cane he’s surely holding his zimmer!

64. oz gunner says:

great post TA. Only saw the extended highlights so cheers everyone for filling in the gaps. That Szczesny attempt was woeful at best. One questionable thing about his keeping has always been opponents taking shots from long range.Reminded my of this one against Totts:

He’ll come good though. Hart makes mistakes every now and then but according to everyone else he’s a star.

Happy Birthday VCC. Here is a special collection just for you

The inflatable doesn’t work. haha

Hi Oz, really good to hear from you. 🙂

Are you properly back now?!