The one player who will make all the difference for Arsenal

First of all, great news that Dennis is finally getting a statue outside our stadium. The most sensible thing the club has done in a long while! 🙂

————————————————————————————————————————————–

One of the most heard sentences by fellow Gooners, and indeed almost all ‘big football club’ fans, is that our/their club only need to buy two more quality players in order to become a force to be reckoned with again.

During the last two seasons, Arsenal bought a lot more than two players, but we also let a number of star players depart. As a result, adding two or more players did not have the desired effect, as the gaps left by the likes of Fabregas, Song and Van Judas needed to be filled before any additional progress could be made. Rather than making progress, Arsene is now constantly trying to get back to where we were at the end of the previous season.

This has to stop, and there are now good signs that Arsenal will be able to hold on to their key players, for at least two to three seasons. With this in mind, the theory that adding two or three quality players will move our team to the very top again, might have some merit.

I say ‘might’, as there are no guarantees, and there are plenty of examples of where this theory has not worked out.

Real Madrid famously decided to try and conquer the might of their fiercest rivals Barcelona, by spending around £300m in one summer on the likes of Benzema, Ronaldo and Kaka, etc. Despite yesterday’s humiliating defeat of Barca, and winning the Spanish League last season, it is fair to say that Real have been unable to stop the Catalans being top dog in Spanish football over the last five years or so.

Chelsea added £80m worth of players in 2012, and that after just ‘winning’  the CL cup, and yet they did not even progress from their CL group and are, just like us, not going to win the league yet again. And then there is Liverpool, who allowed Dalglish to spend £100m in order for the club to make the final move upwards… The rest is history.

I have little doubt that Arsene will get at least a couple more players this summer to improve the squad. However, I am a big believer that ultimately it will be a single individual who will make the real difference again at Arsenal. Dennis Bergkamp’s arrival helped Arsenal to gradually become an all-round better team, and to slightly lesser extent, Sol Campbell North-London move from the dark side to the home of good football, had a significant impact as well.

I believe that gradually, Wilshere will be the player with whom we will move to the very top again. The likes of Ox, Gibbs, Theo, Nacho, Cazorla, Podolski and Szczesny are likely to add further quality to the first team. The squad needs strengthening in one or two central defensive areas (defence and midfield), we also could do with a top class striker, and a top quality winger would also not go amiss. Wenger will no doubt develop one or two players into the above mentioned positions, but is also likely to buy a couple of quality players over the coming summer.

But this is not just a matter of buying players for particular positions; we also need to look for certain characteristics.

The one player who is to make a big difference needs to be of special quality; technically and tactically. He also needs to add leadership and steel to our first team, and have the drive and motivation to help move this team to the very top. He also needs to fit like a glove into Arsene/Arsenal’s philosophy of football.

It does not necessary need to be a superstar, but just the right player to join us now and who is simply the missing piece in the Wilshere-Wengerball jigsaw.

Who do you think this special player could be, and why?

I have some ideas of who this might be, and I will share these with you in the next 24 hours or so. But I don’t want to steer the debate too much for now.

Over to you, fine fellow Gooners! 🙂

Written by: Total Arsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

157 Responses to The one player who will make all the difference for Arsenal

1. Milo says:

You cannot forget that Arsene is always looking in to the future. Say for example he wants to buy a top-class striker…he would need to find someone who is the correct age and at the right point in his career to move, while at the same time not hindering the development of a very young player by the name of Chuba Akpom. He is only 17, yet, from what little I have seen, has the quality to make it at the very top level. I know most people do not rate Welbeck, but think of him as a technically superior Danny Welbeck. He has top work rate, and is developing his finishing as we speak!!! He is not there yet, but he is scoring goals for the the under 21’s at the moment, and is probably our best player at that level. He might even edge the highly rated Serge Gnabry. I’m sure I am not the only one who has been following Chuba’s development on here.

To answer your question though, if there was one player out there who we could add to the squad to make the next step up, it would be Stevan Jovetic, hands down!!! 😀 I’ve been watching him for years, and he continues to improve. I said last season that he would have been the ideal replacement for Van Shit Face, as he plays in a similar fashion to RVSF. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do in fact bid for him in the summer. While he’s not a natural finisher, Robin Van Fuck-Tard wasn’t either when he arrived.

2. glic says:

Oi Dangly Van Klompenshafter, I was expecting you to name ” the one ” after that headline and willl now go to sleep wondering whether I shall report you to the “Trades decription act ” people !. You naughty Dutch Rudder !. hahaha

hahaha Glicster – I am looking forward to hear about your ‘One’ – not meaning your titchy hampton of course! 😛 hahaha

4. glic says:

hahaha Milo, any more variations of Throbbin van Dogger ?.

Night all. 🙂

5. Have also been thinking about this for a while and I know that Étienne Capoue would be a savage addition to the squad but I think that this man would steady the shit sorry SHIP at the back. Gianluigi “Gigi” Buffon, bags of experience won everything you could win in the game, Simple’s

6. glic says:

My one……….1…..sco 🙂

Hi Milo,

I have not seen much of Akpom, but I love to hear of a good striker coming through, potentially. I know you follow the youth academy players closely, so your views are very much appreciated.

Jovetic is often quoted as a very good player for us, and Marcus did a great post about him a few weeks ago (see above page ‘Marcus posts’, if you have not already read it). But has he got what it takes to really add something extra as per the characteristics/qualities in my post?

Glic 😀

Hi Timothy

A very interesting choice to go for an experienced goalkeeper who has won it all. Would he be the one to add that extra dimension though…. 😕

9. alexgunners says:

Great article. I do agree that we have added players in the last couple of seasons but we have not progressed further as we have lost the core players who we were building our team around. There is a new core but we do need to add that special player who will instill the leadership/confidence that we lack.

The ONE…… that is a tough question. I think that Glic is on the ball here and I think that Isco is the player to do that. Think about it, We add someone of this calibre and then we continue to increase the depth in the squad, Then we will be back up there. As it stands now, we are not deep enough. Some may say we have: Rosicky, Ox, Diaby, Gervinho, Ramsey, etc but how often are they actually play? Do they add to the first team or just make up a number since they are not playing consistently enough. I honestly believe that Arsene knows that we need some major changes and add depth. Once we have this we will be able to have a PLAN ‘B’ and some players that will be real impact players.

This is what the Mancs and Chel$ki have. This is why so late in the game they are more likely to score or steady the game if need be.

10. I don’t think any single player is going to give us anything we haven’t already got in some shape or form. Even Bergy couldn’t carry a team on his own he needed Vieira, Adams and Seaman directly behind him.

Now put Buffon in goal Kos, Verm cbs, and Capoue in front of them and you have a really strong center again.

So he might not offer that extra dimension you might be looking for but by fuck it would be a hell of alot stronger than what we have a the moment.

I know I’m talking about two new signings but the first name on wengers list should be Buffon not for that extra dimension but for a new start and what he would then pass on to a jittery but young keeper in Szczesny. For me it’s win win

All good points, Alex. I don’t know enough about Isco to feel he would be ‘the one’. Quality for sure and would add to our attacking options, but not sure whether he would much more in terms of really driving the team and adding that extra dimension. But I could be wrong of course. 🙂

Timothy, I really like your thinking. Buffon would not be my first choice, but he would add some steel, charisma and organisation to our team; no doubt about that.

And Capoue is a player I would love to see at Arsenal. He is one of ‘The One’s’ options for me! 🙂

13. alexgunners says:

As I said, it is probably the toughest question to answer. One player can make a difference but may never be enough. Hypothetically we get Ronaldo, automatically we are boosted as fans, commercially the club will make his transfer fee alone in shirt sales and will definitely improve the squad. But it would never happen.
    Therefore we have to try to be realistic about who we choose. I also believe that a world class striker is the way to go.
    Lets look back at last season when the skunk was scoring goals for fun. As fans we alwAys believed there was hope with him. We need someone else like him to give the team and the fans hope

All agreed Alex. Jack cannot do it on his own, and maybe it is a quality goal scorer who could bring back that extra dimension…

Anyway Alex, speak to you again tomorrow – must hit the pillow now 🙂

16. alexgunners says:

Have a good night and I look forward to hearing everyone’s views on this and also your own as well. Take care

17. izuchukwu Okosi says:

I wonder why you said: hold on to our best players for two to three years . Who says we cannot have
    our best players retained for MANY years like Giggs, Scholes,
    That’s the only panacea to long term success on the field
    I expect anyway (Expect, I say) Wilshere, Cazorla and Podolski at the club AT LEAST for another FIVE years at the club, plus new arrivals

18. Tigran Abelyan says:

Nice article, sir. I think we have to stregthen our central defence as well as our defensive midfield since we lost Alex Song who is currently making holes with his arse on Barca’s bench. There were a lot rumours linking us to Etien Capoue. He is a type of player who can cover our attacking CB’s Vermalen and Kocielny. The only problem with them is that their are very eager to attack and their playstyles are very similar therefore Wenger is pretty much forced to play Mertesacer to compensate with his “calm” approach. Capoue would be really good for us and it’s a must-get as far as I am concerned. Here’s a ling to a video with explanations of how he can help us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyeA0nCzUEU
    As for ST I wouldn’t be too worried. Giroud certainly has a lot of potential just like Podolski and Theo and this season we scored a lot of goals. The problem is we conceived a lot, as well. Therefore, I believe a DM like him is a must-get, There were also rumours about Gotze but I will not believe that untill I see it with my own eyes. Also Fellaini would be a dream but I don’t think we’ll get him.

19. JM says:

I would look at the midfielders, wingers & forwards (Our team is offensive-oriented). So,

(1) Defensive-minded midfielder (Etienne Capoue/Maxime Gonalons/Sebastian Rode)

(2) Offensive-minded midfielder – combo – winger (Isco/Erik Lamela/Henrikh Mkhitaryan)

(3) Forward/ Second striker (Stevan Jovetic/Andre Schurrle/Stephan El Shaarawy)

20. Milo says:

Jovetic would not provide the leadership you are looking for, but he would certainly provide us with something extra special!!! 😀 If you are looking for a leader, then you probably want someone who plays in the defensive third, or in midfield…Capoue might be one…Amorebieta from Athletic Bilbao seems like another one who can lead. It sounds like we were really after him this past transfer window, and he MIGHT be one to watch and see if he arrives in the summer. I really like the look of Kurt Zouma, from St. Etienne!!! Now there is someone who can LEAD!!! He leads the pre and post match cheer for his club, and he’s only 19 for God’s sake!!! 😀

21. weedonald says:

I know I am going to get ridiculed here but I see two players, who may become available at an affordable price and who could add real steel to our attack.

1) Suarez at Liverpool – because, despite his nasty character, he can score and turn a game on its head when he needs to….18 goals in the league and 4 in the cups to date….with 11 games still to go…..he is a wicked finisher and just what we need.

2) If angel DiMaria ever became available I would love to see him at AFC. He is a formidable attacking midfielder and a perfect compliment to our need for someone to play behind the striker…..he is a real talent.

Other than these two, there aren’t many players that are affordable and available out there. All the big names are being watched by the oil-rich and sugardaddy Clubs so forget competing with them.

22. Klaus Stein says:

If AW buys a (left) winger, then finally Podolski can move into the central striker role.
    That’s where he is best, and he is the best clinical finisher anyway in the Arsenal team.
    Podolski as central striker, not below 25 a season.
    All it takes is a top defensive midfielder and a top top top central defender.

23. Highbury Harmony says:

Fantastic article for generating discussion and it was well written and has left me wanting to know your “one”!

For me, the discussion begins and ends with a world-class striker. There is just no two ways around it. If you could only have ONE player come in and change the fortunes of a club like Arsenal, striker is the position.

We are a team built on an attacking philosophy, yet lack the consistent end product to capitalize on the opportunities we create. I feel that a world-class striker is the best way to mask all the other deficiencies in our squad; or at the very least the amount of goals scored from a world-class striker would compensate for the lack of consistent defending.

He’s most likely out of our price range, but Edinson Cavani is my “one”. This man has all the qualities that you look for in a striker and is truly the “complete forward”. He has pace to burn, can hold up play, excels in aerial battles with seriously powerful, yet accurate heading ability, very efficient in linking up with teammates, great control of the ball when it’s at his feet, can be a predatory striker who lurks off the shoulder of the last defender, is extremely clinical and can score from distance or close and has more determination to score goals than any striker I’ve seen in the modern game. More importantly, he can play a team game AS WELL AS carry a team on his own.

Looking at our squad, we have the creative instincts in Jack and Santi, the crossing abilities in Nacho, Santi, Theo and Podolski, a former deep-lying playmaker in Arteta and decent enough options in goal and our back four. Naturally, this is why I believe a world-class striker is our one area of need to seriously push us back into title contention.

Total, that is a great question, but it’s extremely difficult to pin it down to one player, and a player that is realistically within our price-range…
    Shaw of Southampton and Hughes of Derby would be good additions IMO.
    I also like Kevin Gameiro of PSG.
    How about making a statement and going back to a club that teaches it’s players the right way to play. Ajax….
    His name escapes me, but it’s that Danish m/f, who DB10 himself, has been talking up…
    I’m sure you’ll know who I mean TA…

25. Highbury Harmony says:

You look at any top club that wins titles and they are led by world-class finishers. It’s just one position that you can’t sacrifice quality at and we’re learning that the hard way this season. A world-class striker like Cavani would immediately propel us to at least 2nd place in the PL, and likely on par, if not better, than Manure.

26. Highbury Harmony says:

Allezkev, I hope it’s not Eriksen because TA hates him hahaha!

What about Karim Benzema?
    Wages might be a problem, but I’ve never really felt that he’s been totally settled at Real Madrid, and that he might, one day, favour a move to the EPL???

Oh dear HH…

Well that’s buggered that bright idea of mine. 😦

Bergkamp thinks he’s the nuts…

But TA is in charge.. 😉

Cavani was linked quite strongly to Arsenal in the last two transfer windows HH.
    But I suspect that we might have missed the boat, as one of the Petro-Dollar clubs are more than likely to scoop him up…

What about Gotze?

30. Highbury Harmony says:

Allezkev :),

TA hates that he drifts in and out of games because of the immense talent he has. He also believes Eriksen lacks the mental toughness and that with his lanky frame, he’d get pushed around in the EPL. Also, he noted that Eriksen still had much to prove and his statistics have not been dominating in an average Dutch league.

With that said, I believe that Eriksen has all the qualities to be a world-class player. His touch, ball control, creativity and ability to score goals are simply staggering. However, he does need to put some muscle on that slender frame and develop some mental toughness. He is very different from DB10, due to the fact that while Eriksen has all the technical qualities (if not more, don’t tell TA I said that 😉 ), he lacks the drive and physical aggression that DB10 had. I agree with TA that it would help if his statistics further helped to show that he could dominate a lesser league (similar to Hazard in Ligue 1) since I have seen him take over games for Ajax.

31. Highbury Harmony says:

Allezkev, Benzema would be a dream come true transfer for me. He’s always been one of my favourite players, but dare I say he’d fill more of a personal fulfillment than a team need (I wanted him to join Arsenal before he went to Real). His track record of scoring goals and leading the line at Real has not been at a world-class level, despite having the talent to do so. However, I fully understand that his goal totals are hindered by the fact that Mourinho splits playing time between himself and Higuain.

This term, neither have really been able to establish themselves as the go-to guy and Real’s inconsistencies all over the pitch have hurt them as a result. The scoring, in particular, has been very inconsistent from their strikers.

However, his touch, ball control, passing, creativity and link up play is spectacular and he’d definitely be more clinical than Giroud. Characteristically though, he’s too much of an introvert to fit TA’s ask of “one special player to take us forward characteristically and ability-wise”.

32. Highbury Harmony says:

Benzema’s pace and strength on the ground are also stellar.

HH, I really have to get some sleep in, so I will bid you goodnight, or good afternoon, depending on your time zone… 🙂

34. Highbury Harmony says:

Good night Allez, good discussion thus far hope we can continue tomorrow! And it’s night time for me, but it’s really late for you since you live in the UK (from what I remember)!

35. Highbury Harmony says:

And to answer your other question, Gotze would be a fantastic, super signing for Arsenal. The exact type of signing that would be a signal of our intent to other clubs that we’re truly back. However, I think we’re stocked on CAM with Jack , Santi and Rosicky right now and need the clinical finishing in the final third to complement their abilities. With Gotze, we’d certainly become a more dangerous team since he can also score goals and create plenty, but I think we’d experience the same issues that Chel$ea currently are: plenty of creativity in Mata, Hazard and Oscar, but inconsistent finishing from the strikers.

Just before I go, to add to your Benzema comments, I think that under Wenger, Benzema would finally find a Coach, who would make him feel special and who would develop his game up to the level of the world class striker, that he could be…
    At Arsenal he would be the ‘main man’, something that may help bring him out and see him flourish with the responsibility.

Gotta go mate…

37. Highbury Harmony says:

Allez,

I definitely share your sentiment and believe that he could really thrive under Wenger. However, characteristically he’s not the “one” to take this team further. He is the main man for the French national team, yet hasn’t really settled in there either (could be all the egos in the squad interfering with any true team play haha).

His value is definitely low right now, so he could be a good target for AW. No one doubts his ability, but will he come good for us as the main striker? Will fans have the patience to allow him to properly settle in?

38. nutcase says:

I guess we already have one. RAMSEY.
    He is slowly becoming Arsenes favorite foot soldier. And as he matures, he will play a major role in ARSENALs future. Every team needs a dark knight and ours (for me it looks like) is Aaron Ramsey.

39. I think FERNANDO LORRENTE will do.

Morning all, As my dogs woke me at 4.10am I am now fuelled, awake, and ready for another day.

Two things with this fun game of ‘name your next XXXX’ who will shape our future:

‘Availabilty’ and be a ‘Positive Asset’

The former is difficult to know for sure, but keeping wishful thinking down to a minimum, you have a pool of players for whom we will not be the only ones after?

Being a positive asset is by far and away the most difficult thing to balance. Yes, players can come and add technical qualities, but how much will a big name affect the team in other ways. I for one, don’t want another RVJ situation where one player so dominates the team, and the team’s thinking, that it cannot function without it? I also think if RVP(as opposed to J’) had not been injured for so long, played many good seasons, probably brought the success we all crave along the way, his reputation among fans would be that much higher?

I also think this may be what makes AW reluctant(probably partly due to financial restraint?) to ‘splash big’. He is more likely to look at players that still have some improvement left to work on, so they do not come with a ‘big fish’ tag that makes the minnows feel inferior. Whilst this is largely aimed at the ‘Striker’ end of the field, it could also apply to our back line?

For that reason, I am not sure if Cavani say, would be a realistic target. However, if you are making a statement, he would probably be the best of the ‘star names’ that may be available this summer.

More likely are ‘targets’ – i.e. names that have been put about by lazy journo’s – would be Jovetic and Reus. Both young enough to fulfill their careers at Arsenal?

Mind, if money is spread over several areas, don’t be surprised if AW doesn’t cut a low priced deal for David Villa? It may disappoint many, but there would be advantages. Namely his ready made experience so no development period to go through? No major threat to long term development of younger players, and could be a benefit to them? Perhaps more key, he would like to come to Arsenal?

Midfield – Lots of options, especially if you include wingers into the equation, with a 4-4-2 a general formation likely if a new striker is added, you would have to? However, unless someone special, like Isco, is to available to us, then I do not see the attacking midfield area as being in the job description as ‘the ONE player’ to make a difference applying here.

Defensive midfielder? Different story. Now I know Capoue heads a lot of people’s list, as TA himself will probably confirm later. I have just two reservations. One, is whether AW is fully committed to a £15m spend on this position? The second is more on playing style. I have seen Capoue make some real tackles, but also the occasional iffy ones. I just wonder if it would be long before refs target him in the same way as Tiote is, and he gets book for things that others get away with? It is hard to know if French refs are more lenient, or reluctant to turn yellows into red, but here, I don’t think he would get a second chance?

Before the media stepped in, I put up an alternative, and one of his attributes I spoke of was making a ‘clean tackle’. Now he may not fit the description of ‘a beast of a DM’, but I think he would fit in well in our team. Now whether he will want to stay in Germany or not will probably be a bigger barrier than fee or availability? However, my hope is that our German contingent is strong enough to make it an advantage to come here and play, rather than be on standby elsewhere. It would be nice to think that negotiations are well advanced before the window opens?

For me, he, the ‘Toulouse German’ (as I will continue to call him until he signs!) is THE ONE.

CB – Yes and no. Before buying, I would like us to pursue the idea of having Mert in the centre of the three. He seemed quite comfortable there when Sagna played in the middle? I would also like Sagna to test out his skills as our interim DM too. I am not sure what it is about TV5 doing that role, but he just doesn’t have the same natural fit that I think Bacs has? Possibly because TV5 is more used to play being in front of him, whereas Sagna has always played an advanced role at RB? Sorry TA, that’s just my opinion?

GK? – I don’t see this as being a ‘big spend’. There will be several options to pick up a senior keeper along the way. I’d rather work through Szcz’s issues, and as RA said yesterday, a settled back 4 would help? But the more solid look outlined above my also ease things?

Morning guys 🙂

Thanks for great contributions until now. Will get back to you after nine.

42. tim head says:

Suspect that onw player who would fit like a glove and provide leasership would be Fellaini

43. Red Arse says:

Loved the post, TA 🙂

Trouble is it makes me realise that the comments from the guys on the ‘over-night’ shift, particularly Alez and HH were brilliant, and make mine redundant, and now up pops Gerry with good suggestions that I seriously like — except I have never really ‘seen’ any of these suggested acquisitions in order to be able to form an opinion!

What a wuzz I am!! 🙂

44. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Awesome piece Total,

Cant stick around, but my 1 player would be an attacking player. I know our defensive state is in ambulance mode right now but i believe in our philosophy of attack. My player is already a star but i have a hunch this kid is gonna win big things with and ultimately be key for Germany. An absolute world beater. Marco ‘Rolls Reus’ !!

#Watch this space

Cant wait for the derby, WHOS YOUR DADDY BANANA BALE? 😀

Hi izuchukwu Okosi

I said two to three years, and I meant it as a minimum. But there are no guarantees anymore, and unless we are both successful AND are able/willing to pay absolute top rates to players, we are always likely to lose players again. Just look at Dortmund, and you know what I mean.

46. Ibrahim Lambu says:

Your analisis is very much true. But AW should look for at least 2 or 3 quality players to add to our disposal. And the player arsenal need now, to me, is CAVANI. simply because of his scoring abilities. We do not have one-time-finisher now. All our strikers are struggling to score.

Hi and thank you Tigran Abelyan

Your thinking is exactly like mine: I could have written that comment. For me, the new player for Arsenal to sign is either a beast of DM or a CB (or both!!). If we can get a quality player in either position who has real drive and bosses his area(s) with great strength, composure and energy, we could move up to the next level.

Hahahaha JM – a quintessential JM answer: many options and all sound good, but who is the one, JM, who is the one?! 😛

Milo, you must be music to the ears of HH (and I am still to read his comments): you are a fellow Canadian AND you know about other quality players of the various European leagues!

And you are right, I reckon the one that can make the difference drives us from the back, either a CB or DM….

Hi WeeD,

Interesting options. I like your suggestion of Suarez. He has indeed the quality and the drive and would fit into Arsenal like a glove (Ajax schooled after all).

Di Maria is also a very good player, but with Jack and Cazorla (and Rosicky, still) we have players for the position you would like him to play in. I also find him an incredible whinger and diver and I reckon he would struggle as a result in our league.

Morning All.
    I enjoyed the discussions between HH/WeeD/Herb.
    Glad you stuck with it Herb and remain with us. As I have said on numerous occasions, it would be a sad/boring world if we were all the same.I enjoy your input and knowledge of our wonderful club.
    Your “dominance” periods of ManUre and the Bin Dippers Herb? what about Leeds United? I can remember them having a run under Revie that punished us too.
    I think we are of similar ages, so therefore can remember the good/bad times from the fifties. Apart from the invincibles we have been somewhat below par?? So many disappointments, I could fill a toilet roll with. One of which was the cup final in Belgium against Valencia which we lost on penalties, after being much the better side. I can remember sitting on the terraces with my pal and having tears run down my cheeks.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you about the fact we should have done better with our resources from Herbert’s days. So sad looking back that we have not had a Champions league win before now. It’s the one trophy I hope we win before I get my wings and fly off into the sunset. (FFS Wenger get your finger out it’s getting closer , lmao)
    But, looking to the future, I’m hopeful that HH/TMHT predictions could come true. Lets pass judgement after this summers break and see if Wenger does indeed strengthen the team with top quality signings.
    As the saying goes…….Watch this space.
    COYG

Cheers Klaus, I also would like to see the Pod as our central striker, at least it is worth trying out. But who is the one?! 🙂

Hi guys..
    At last.. DB statue.. a delayed recognition..

TA and most of you guys..
    I don’t want to awaken old wound.. hehehe.. But I think we miss RvP and also Fabs..
    The kind of players that we can depend on.. To break the wall..

If I must choose one from all the players.. I will choose Strootman..
    He had Leadership.. he is the ducth captain..
    He is a solid rock in the midfield.. the player that TA will definitely agree.. hehehe..
    He play as good as Sneijder did.. to distibute the ball..
    And He is still young.. 23 yo only..

@VCC : My prediction for this week :
    Stoke – WHU, Sunderland – Fulham, draw..
    Arsenal, City and Liverpool away win..

And I hope WBA draw again Chelsea.. hehehe..
    Also Everton somehow don’t get their way back to the competition.. hahaha..

54. glic says:

Morning Cumelgum`s 😆

I have slept on it and Winkel van Rottenklomp has still not named his ” The One “!.

Whilst I was counting sheep last night, I thought of a couple of quality German players AW could buy……Mario Goetze and Philipp Lahm, but knowing Arsene it will be Goats and Lamb !.
    I`ve thought for a while that we need a couple of top players, but after the last few seasons I think it should be more and definately agree with some , ” One” is not going to be enough !.
    Anyway here`s my other “One” to add to the mix and if anyone laughed at weedonald, they will die in ruptures at my suggestion. AW has said we can compete with the likes of City /Chavs, the £100,000 pw ceiling is being lifted, FFP is making an effect, new sponsorships, £120M+ sitting under Arsenes mattress !……..this player will cost £40-£50m…….Theo said he roomed with him and that he`s an Arsenal supporter !………..swampdwellers will conspire to a mass suicide pact !…………..I give you……… Gareth Bale !.

Now get your dinkle out of the dyke ( funny name for a puppy ! ) Totes, stop being a “One Two ” and name your ” One” !.

HH, no surprise there my friend! 🙂

I can see real merit in getting a top-top striker and your arguments are strong. For me, it still early with regards to our strikeforce, and they are scoring plenty of goals together now. I reckon they will only get better the more they play together and there will come a moment it will all click properly and teams will get hammered by us every other week or so. I still would love Cavani to come and join us, of course!!

But for me, the one is a player who protects the back and holds together our team in that area, in order for the rest to go and enjoy themselves: he would also have that added energy and drive, and a total winner’s mentality. Capoue might be that player or Wanyama, or ideally we would get somebody like Alonso or Schweinsteiger (the last one is very unlikely though). I also think Hummels as a powerful leader in the CB position could make a huge difference for us.

56. glic says:

As first exclusively brought to BK yesterday by a certain ……me…….more from God !. Dont you just love it that God is a gooner, get Jesus Navas from Sevilla and we will have his son aswell !. 🙂

Glic, I am not sure I have the ‘one’ yet; I said I had some ideas. 🙂

Bale would be a good addition, no doubt about that. But definitely not the one for me, yet. If he can help his team to a CL place (dream on Spuddies) then he will have achieved something worth praising. Would he do a ‘Sol’ though? 😕

58. glic says:

Let me put it to you this way then Rottenklompmeister……you….yes you !…..are playing for the Spuds and you`re beloved Arsenal came in for you…..yes you !…….whats the problem ?.
    Is there a different level amongst us supporters of how much we like or love Arsenal. I can only speak for myself, but judging by the nutters on this blog ( I sometimes honestly dont know what I doing being associated with such a rabble ! ), there`s no such thing as just liking Arsenal !. If he`s an Arsenal Supporter like we are, then he will jump at he chance of doing a “Sol” !.

I rest my case !. 🙂

PS
    You Rabbleverticalbaconsandwiches !. hahahaha

Allezkev and HH, really fun reading your comments. Allezkev, I have been willing to write an article for a while down the line of ‘Arsenal are not complete without a Dutchman in our team’, but I am struggling to find the one who could make the difference. The ‘son of Eric’ is a talent, and a wonderful footballer to watch, but HH has already described – in impressive detail, I must say – how I feel about his other characteristics. And of course, he is Danish and not Dutch.

There are two Dutchmen I am keeping an eye on: Kevin Strootman (with whom we have been linked) and Maher (currently at Az Alkmaar). A Dutch friend of mine keeps telling me to keep an eye on Maher and believes he will become a big start. But I am not fully convinced about both them. Good players and I would love them to join Arsenal, but for now, not likely to be ‘the One’.

60. alexgunners says:

Henry 09:40,

I agree with you, I do miss Cesc and Van Judas. With our current lineup and those two it would have been so strong. But now we can only look forward and rebuild.

Guys, some great points from all of you, as I mentioned earlier we will all have our opinions and we all have that one person that we wish for. Isn’t that right Glic (ISCO).

VCC,

here are my predictions for the UMF league.

Chel$ki (H)
    Everton (H)
    ManUre (H)
    THE GUNNERS (A)
    Fulham (A)

Glic, you are hilarious this morning: I’ve been called everything under the sun! 😳

I had a thought this morning. Would it be an idea if you would come every day with a ‘GLIC word of the day’, and you would need to include a description of course. I would make a special page for you at the top of the blog called: ‘Daily words of Glictionary’.

What do you think of that, saucisson de bocque?! 😛

62. alexgunners says:

During my short time here on BK, I have seen some amazing words come from Glic.
    Not only should we have a ‘GLIC word of the day’ but we should make a dictionary for future BK’ers to comprehend the words of The Glicmeister himself.

Allezkev Hx2, I like the thought of Benzema very much, but we should first try to play the Pod in the middle and see how he would fare, in my view.

Fully agreed Alex! 😛

nutcase, I applaud you for suggesting Aaron Ramsey. I would love him to progress further, and he could become our new Ray Parlour. However, I reckon he lacks the quality to play at top, top level, and I hate saying that. If he does come good at Arsenal, I will be a very happy man, but will he?! That is the question… 😕

Great morning comment, Gerry. You are very consistent in your views and this morning’s comment sums it up well. The ‘Toulouse German’ it is then for you. I don’t know anything about him, so cannot comment.

Re Capoue’s iffy tackles. Yes, that is a risk but just watch what Ramires gets away with at Chelsea…. Now that is a player who would make a difference at Arsenal. But he is a Chav and unaffordable, so we need to look for somebody else. 🙂

My one signing………..David Dein. Simples.

Come RA, don’t hide behind HH and Gerry’s back, we can still see you! 🙂

Give us your ‘one’ RA, I know you scout around a lot hehehehe! 😛

Hi PPP, Marco Reus looks like a super talent indeed. But I don’t think he will that bid of extra that we need on top his technical qualities (I watched Bayern v Dortmund yesterday, and he did not stand out for me, neither did Gotze to be honest).

Thanks Henry and Alex for your UMF 1 entries.

Odds are Henry = 96-1
    Alex = 27-1

Where would you play him Vickers? 😆

Hi Henry

No use in talking about traitor and homesick boy: they are gone. Strootman looks promising but not fully sure about him, yet. He is not the captain, but captained the National Team once (third choice at the moment).

@Alex.. Yeah bro.. We miss them..
    I think other brothers do also.. but because of their disappointed to the BoD policy..
    they turn to become “angry-bird”.. hahahaha..
    I agree with you.. Let not drifted by such memory.. as we must go on.. look forward..

And I wish Wenger bring Strootman..
    If Maher is include then will be a much advantage.. hehehe..
    With 70 mil.. we can bring them together with Jovetic or Isco also..

But let us discuss about derby again Spurs on sunday..
    I’m glad Sagna return from his injured.. With Koscielny.. they will prevent Bale to score.. And If Bale can’t score then Spurs will certainly lose.. hahahaha..
    And I wish Rosicky will play.. and Giroud find his magic again.. We do need a sharp finisher..
    If we win again Spurs.. then we will get the atmosphere.. the winning energy..
    And we can handle all the games remain win victory.. hehehe..

*with victory..

74. alexgunners says:

Henry,
    Where are you from?

You are right, we need to stop Bale as everything that happens for the spuds, happens through him. We do need Giroud to start firing and we do need a great run of results in order to finish the season where we need to.

Indonesia my brother..
    You are from Brazil.. aren’t you..??
    We have the same weather.. summer and rainy season.. hehehe..

alex….how about playing Podolski up front with Giroud on the bench?

Sagna at CB also with Verm or Kos and Jenks at right back. That would solve our pace problem against Bale/Lennon

Henrychan, we have one of those seasons……..Rain. lol.

78. alexgunners says:

I was born in Brazil but i am more Aussie than anything else.
    I wasn’t sure if you were from Indonesia or Hong Kong. The weather is very similar to Brazil, A lot of humidity and hot weather but we do also have our rainy season as well in some parts.
    Isn’t the Arsenal playing in Indonesia in June or July this year?

79. alexgunners says:

I was in Hong Kong last July to watch The Arsenal play and I met a lot of fans from Indonesia

80. alexgunners says:

VCC,

You know it is a good change upfront. We have not utilized Poldi enough upfront. I think only once this season. He has a lethal left foot and it certainly would throw a spanner in the works for the opposition. It is definitely worthwhile trying

@VCC.. hehehehe.. do you mean complain..??

@Alex.. Yes 13th July.. If FIFA still have a mercy to us.. hehehe..
    You know.. Indonesian Football Association is very awfull..
    We have two association who fight each other from year to year.. Never ending story..
    We have also two league.. Indonesian Premiere League and Indonesian Super League.. hahahaha.. very embarrassing to tell..

83. alexgunners says:

@Henry,
    Hopefully this turmoil in Indonesian Football wont stop the Gunners from reaching your shores.
    That way you get to Enjoy the game as well as a handful of new signing on display (We all hope).

Anyway, guys it’s late here and I must go to bed. Good night to you all and shall catch up again tomorrow.

84. Red Arse says:

OK, TA, you have forced me to come off the fence.

I have the ‘ONE’ and it is so obvious that I am surprised no one has yet mentioned him.

We need someone who is sharp, gets around all over the place, is a little whippet who gets into every nook and granny, and it is, of course, our own Glic!

Imagine that he is bearing down on goal, when he is suddenly faced by giant defenders, and an even bigger goal keeper, when quick as a flash, (which he has been nicked for 3 times in Cornwall alone), he wriggles out of his shorts and twizzles his todger! All the defenders and the goal keeper fall about laughing and he sticks it in!! Yaaay!! 🙂

[When I said sticks it in, I meant the ball in the net, not his todger ………………… ]

Simple and yet somehow brilliantly lateral thinking!! 😀

85. Red Arse says:

Nite, Alex, 🙂

86. SharkeysSuresGhost says:

That player is Alex Song.

Ok he’s a little short on the leadership front, but he really dragged us thru some games in his time with us.

Last ditch tackles, strong body checks, tremendous physicality…etc etc etc.

Add to that his bloddy mindedness in driving us forward when we’re up against it. Exhibits A and B: His mazy dribble against Dortmund at home, and the sublime pass against Everton, both of which led to good goals from Van Judas.

If ever Arsenal could bring a player back, I wish it was him. I think he’s left the biggest hole of our recent departures. Worst thing is that our downside is in no way balanced by any upside for his new employers.

One of the most pointless transfers ever…??

RA 🙂

Hi Sharkey, always good to hear from a fellow Song-appreciator and you are, of course, totally right. Our message to Arsene: ‘Take a sad Song and make it better’ 😛

88. Will says:

It has got to be mario gotze, an undoubted superstar in the making who can play in multiple roles. If we can just convince him to come…

Hi and welcome Will

Do you feel Gotze is a real driver for Dortmund; one that carries the team at times through a difficult spell, and has the drive and energy to succeed at all costs?

Talented yes, but I still have to see that side of him consistently, but then I don’t watch many Bundesliga games at the moment (too dangerous for my marriage! 🙂 )

Well I am back from a frustrating dog walk. I had to wear a temporary pair of glasses, and managed to lose a lens because the frame was cracked. Yesterday, my main pair fell off in the garden, and I picked them up and placed them in my pocket .. nowhere to be found.
    I am going for an eye test this afternoon ….

Whether I will see any clearer over forthcoming transfers remains to be seen?

The one thing that is likely to throw all our hopes and speculations out of the window in the ‘Manager merrygoround’?

We know Pep is at Bayern, but will he need to sell if he is to bring some of his old chums in?

Jose, may or may not be leaving Real, but if he stays some players may leave anyway? With a new manager there might be a few big names on offer?

Who comes in at Chelsea? Same scenario.

PSG fallouts??

Where does Rafa go to?

So many possibilities, and we have still to win on Sunday to maintain our CL drive?

Sagna I see is out for that game according to the latest. Although I cannot read it without the magnifier on!

So far the discussion has gone down the two routes:
    Get a striker and out score the opposition.
    Get a DM/Defender that will assist our current strike force better?

I am in the latter camp, but if it is to be a make or break season for Arsene, then both camps could be satisfied?

Hahaha Gerry, you leave the best till last! Who is going to disagree with you on that one! 🙂

Hope you can sort your glasses out soon. What is the latest about your your housing dispute with the council?

92. Highbury Harmony says:

TA @ 9:50,

The need for a true DM addresses the most glaring weakness on our team, but not the one special player that could immediately help us to win games. Our philosophy has never been to defend and has always incorporated an attack first mindset. You always proclaim how our strikers have scored plenty of goals this year as a collective unit, but how many have come in bunches and against weaker sides? Too many if you ask me.

We do not have a striker who can consistently produce on their own game in and out. A striker like Cavani does not even need great delivery to score; great delivery can certainly improve his output, but it’s not necessary with his instincts and skill set. A world-class finisher can instantly change the outcome of a game with one swing of their boot, and a player of that caliber would immediately give us wins.

Think of it this way. In several games this season, we have gone down early but have also had several opportunities to grab an early lead. If we had a striker like Cavani (not an inconsistent Giroud who always misses easy, early scoring chances), then we would have been starting most games with a 1-0 lead. That would certainly settle our team down and allow us to knock the ball around comfortably before finding an opening to properly attack from later.

Of course we’d still need to reinforce the DM and CB positions, but the one position to immediately propel us to the level of a top club like Manure is a striker like Cavani. In order to bring us to the level of a top, top club like Barca, Bayern or Real, we’d need to add a high quality CB, DM, winger and back-up keeper (on top of adding a world-class striker).

93. Highbury Harmony says:

Also, I’m relieved to know Diaby will only be out for a couple days. I couldn’t deal with another long-term injury to him. Ever since returning from injury he’s looked hesitant though, which is a big concern. It took him two games before his outstanding performance against Liverpool to begin the season, so I’m hoping that version of Diaby returns soon.

94. Highbury Harmony says:

By the way, has anyone checked out those drawing contest videos between Santi, Nacho and “Kosh”? They’re absolutely hilarious! Nice to see the lads having a laugh and some fun, but I hope they’re ready to spill some blood and beat those damn Spuds this weekend.

95. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi Total, thanks for the read.
    I tend to agree with what Mourinho said about needing a quality goalkeeper and a quality striker if you’re to have any chance of success, so unfortunately ‘one’ isn’t enough.
    Goalkeepers play a major role, not only keeping the ball out, but also because of the 22 players on the park, they are the only ones who see the whole game played out in front of them. Szcz isn’t top top quality, he might be one day, but he isn’t there yet. It is a concern for me that he isn’t challenged for his place in the starting XI.
    Karim Benzema would represent the marquee signing that would excite and give us all renewed hope. With Mourinho likely to be off in the summer, it could be the right time for both parties.
    Since our formation requires the solid beast of a DM that you and others have been yelling out for, Total, that makes ‘three’.
    If those three signings were to happen, I’d feel quite confident about our chances, come August.
    Hi VCC, you’re right to mention Don Revie’s Leeds United, horrible team, but undoubtedly successful (beat us in two Wembley finals, Lge Cup 1968, Centenary FA Cup four years later – I ran for ages and cried my eyes out that day! 😦 ), but they didn’t sustain it over a long enough period of time to be considered a dominant force. 1968-74, and when Revie took the England job in the summer of ’74 their decline began. Though they were beaten finalists in 1975 European Cup.

96. glic says:

Thank you for the kind invitation this morning Van Rottenclitdentaldam of a ” Glicism ” section, but I like to comment off the cuff with no added pressure. So I will decline the fabulous offer to have my name up on the top credits !. hahaha
    As for all the names I frequently use, you know they are only used in an endearing manner !. That also applies to the rest of the BK parental shafters !. hahaha

I know I have probably posted this before, but who cares as it is funny and ssome of the newbies may have not seen it !.
    Be warned though, it does contain some strong language !.

HH – I am in not such a hurry to dismiss Giroud to the naughty bench. Possibly he needs players to draw defenders away from him. Him and Cavani could be lethal?

The big problem with Cavani may not be the fee this time, but more the chain reaction that happens as a fallout from my earlier message. Napoli will want a replacement, and whoever they are keeping an eye on, may not be available come July?

One thing in our favour might be that London is a safer place than Napoli, as there was another mugging recently?

David Villa for £10m or Cavani for £54m? The latter does not leave a whole lot out of £70m for the others on your list? Capoue at a squeeze?

I just hope they are on the ball to get in quick if the right players do become available. I think the Walcott issue dragged on far too long. I just hope they settle with Sagna pretty soon, and then it could be all clear.

What would you say to Arshavin on lower wages? If you intend to play him, and he does not mind being on the bench, he is quality?

Mind I am not sure how many spaces we have in the squad, even with Djourou, Sqill, Bendtner, and Denilsen off the books, if we want to promote Eisfeld, Gnabry and co?

98. Highbury Harmony says:

Gerry,

I’m not saying Giroud won’t come good or isn’t a quality striker, just that he’d be better off as a super sub like Dzeko at $hitty or an alternative option to a main striker like Cavani. The attention is already largely off of him with Jack, Theo and Santi in the line-up; he still just wastes too many chances, both on open headers and on open shots at goal. Every striker misses, but he has just missed too many in crucial moments of the game (both early and late). He’d be better served with a couple more years refining his game and gaining composure in his finishing. His game with his back to the goal is also a serious work in progress.

Personally, I’d avoid Villa at £10m. I would have taken him for two years this January when we undoubtedly could have used him to help salvage our season, but in the summer higher quality and younger options will be available. I think Villa’s slowly headed towards a decline and has a year or so left to maintain his high performance and playing level.

Yes, Cavani’s price tag may be an issue but I guess I was simply responding to TA’s question of what one, special player could really help turn Arsenal around. For me, there’s no compromise in striking quality in terms of wins and Cavani is the man for me. He not only has the skills and clinical finishing to push us over the top, but the character to go with it. He plays the game with such poise, determination and passion that it would immediately transfer to the rest of our players on the pitch.

I agree that whatever AW has up his sleeve, I hope it’s not a prolonged saga that runs its course over the entire summer. I would not want Arshavin on lower wages because despite his talent, he is lazy and shows no passion or spine. The promotion of players is a tricky one and an issue I had debated several times. However, the games I’ve watched, none appear truly ready to be on the squad of a title contending team right now (and that’s where we need to be after this summer).

TA @ 13.50 – Alas my problem is not wholly with the council, but more my landlord.. It drags on. I am expecting to lose another 2 dogs soon, if space becomes available, and by next month I will down to half what I had before Christmas. Sad to see them go, but the realist in me tells me that my knee will not hold out too much longer. If I get to keep the ones that are not so active, I might see them through. The thing is taking them out is more about relief when I have finish, than pleasure when I am out … well while it is cold anyway!
    But news on how I stand here may come through next week. At best I may get two or three months leeway, but I really need a year or two!

Should see this season out, which is handy?

Thanks for asking though. I just take each day as it comes.

GLiC, Terry n VCC in a bar in Brentwood

HH – Yes, fair comment on need, without constraint.

I am not sure on Arshavin. I don’t think it would take much to get him to play well again, as I just think he wants to be invovled. He did not get that on the wing?

Like TA, I watch most of the Bayern match against Dortmund, and I have seen Reus play better. But ten the whole Dortmund team seemed to be off their game in the first half? Again, he seemed stuck out wide a lot of the time?
    Of the younger pair, Reus and Jovetic, either would be an addition to our squad without a doubt. Reus is unlikely to leave as things stand, but if Klopp decides it is time to move on, to Chelsea perhaps, then who knows? I have a feeling if Real win the CL, and the Copa, then he will be flavour of the month again, and will stay on?

VCC – I didn’t know you been to Thailand Vic? ha ha ha

Hi HH,

I can see where you are coming from but still do not agree. Imagine a 26 year old Patrick Vieira in our current team and now imagine a Thiery Henry instead. I think we need the former more than the latter. I would love a top striker as well, but I think you are underestimating our current strikeforce a lot and not taking into account enough that will only get better together the longer they play as a unit.

We probably have to agree to disagree on that one but I want a prototype Vieira to join us this summer more than anything else. 🙂

104. Highbury Harmony says:

You proved my point. There are NO Patrick Vieira’s in today’s game. If there was one he’d be an absolute top commodity and be my choice too, but as it stands now only world-class strikers could help to drastically improve our team.

I am not underrating our strike force at all, you are simply overrating them. Giroud, Theo and Podolski have simply not shown me enough when deployed as a central striker to prove that they are capable of leading the line for a PL title contending team. Manure or $hitty would not be caught dead with one of them leading the line and you’d be fooling yourself in thinking otherwise. Having two of them complement a world-class finisher like Cavani is perfectly fine as they are top quality secondary scoring options.

Hi Herb, fine comment and not much to disagree with. I also reckon we need more than one player to move us forwards again, but I was looking for that one special player who has that a little bit of extra to help us become great again.

106. glic says:

I know it`s the God statue again, but watch the video underneath, his vision and coolness, he really was two players for the price of one, just saying he played in the ” Hole “, doesn`t do him justice for a striker and midfielder rolled into one….”The Total Offensive Player”…. in my book !.

107. Highbury Harmony says:

Capoue is nothing like Vieira by the way, he’s more of a Gilberto than anything. Sissoko’s game more closely resembled what Vieira brought to the table, and even comparing them is a serious reach. Still, when the two both played for Toulouse, Sissoko was the more noticeable of the two dual DM with his surging runs up field.

Strootman is also nowhere near Vieira. His defending is very questionable and his game to game work rate often comes into question. He’s definitely got ability, passion and the offensive instincts but still not a Vieira. Both Capoue and Strootman would fall under the category of top quality options to reinforce our squad that I mentioned, but neither are world-class, with a very, very slight chance at becoming that some day.

Dont agree HH. I rather have Schweinsteiger or Alonso join us than Cavani or Benzema.

109. glic says:

Hahaha great vid Vic`s. I remember it well !, but they left the bit out with Redders eating the Banana !. I`ll leave it to your imagination to what flavour he asked for !. hahaha

110. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic, I have loved watching that video for some time. The music in that video used in other player highlight reels always gets me (Ronaldo, the real one 🙂 )!

It just goes to show how spoiled we were with the Invincibles. Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Campbell, Pires…five world-class players, each at the peak of their game on one team! I haven’t even mentioned Gilberto, Cole, Ljungberg, Lehmann, Lauren and Toure who were all fantastic talents too.

111. Highbury Harmony says:

Don’t agree TA. Xabi Alonso is 31 and nearing the end of his peak where he’ll be able to produce his best football. I’d much prefer Cavani to Schweinsteiger too, as he’s two years younger already performing at a world-class level and doesn’t have the injury history. Not to mention we already have two amazing midfielders in Jack and Santi, yet not one world-class finisher. It’s about evaluating what we already have and what one, special player would allow us to immediately compete with Manure for the title, not adding a position of weakness that would make us marginally better.

What would a world-class finisher like van Judas done for us?

112. Highbury Harmony says:

IF there was a Vieira in the modern game, I would agree with you TA. However, Schweinsteiger and Alonso are far cries from the legend that was #4.

113. glic says:

Imo two things. 1) With the players we already have and hyperthetically had kept that nice man Robin, we would be at least two places above where we are now. 2) I still think Manu would still have been in the top two without him.
    Point two would be more odds on than point one. In ( and counting this year`s inevitable title ) 21 years of the Premier League, Manu have only been outside the top two on three occasions and even then they came third, unbelievable record by the bastards !.
    We need a World class finisher and some more if we are going to challenge for next years title. As near as fact without actually being a fact, just like we know Manu will be in the top three next year an unfactual fact !.

114. weedonald says:

TA……Di Maria is a whiner and does dive, but no more than Bale or Rooney or Suarez. La Liga encourages diving as the refs are easily intimidated by Real and Barca, when they mob them after a call they don’t like. What impresses me about DiMaria is that he is dangerous from the opponent’s half way line right up to the goal area. He is fast, pacey, very hard to mark and as he demonstrated against Barca yesterday, very aggressive. Boy do we need those qualities now. He is a lesser version of Ronaldo but without the big ego.

We just see things differently HH – nothing wrong with that. 🙂

VCC selections for this week =
    Everton v Reading……..Home
    ManUre v Norwich……..Home
    Stoke v WHU…………….home
    Aston Villa v MC…………Away
    Sund v Fulham…………..Home.

Odds = 14-1

117. Highbury Harmony says:

All agreed Glic, there’s no one player who we could bring in and realistically win the title with this coming summer. We have several holes to fill and I believe a striker would compensate the most for our other deficiencies.

Only acquiring a DM would not solve our inability to score consistently or solidify our inconsistent CB partnership or Szczesny’s occasional mental lapses in goal; a world-class finisher WOULD pay immediate dividends and give us goals to help us win games the Arsenal way. That is the reasoning behind my logic that if we were to acquire just one player, a world-class striker would be the most logical position to immediately bring us into the title conversation.

TA, you’re absolutely right that there’s nothing wrong with differing perspectives. I dream of the day that another Vieira-like player is born and that he dons an Arsenal shirt :).

Hi Gerry, I did not realise your knee is playing up. Good to hear that your dogs are finding good homes and that you have peace with this. Hope you’ll find a suitable new home soon as well. Can’t be easy for you at the moment! 😕

Glic, HH,

We had a world class Judas last season and scored only 1.95 goals per game in the PL, and finished third. I just cannot agree that it will make the big difference, and far rather have the current situation where various players get between 10-20 goals per season. Our defence have lost us so many games recently, and I reckon a DM or CB with all the characteristiscs as per the post would make the biggest difference.

WeeD, agreed that Di Maria has special qualities, and could possibly the one….

121. glic says:

Totes baby, my hyperthetical comment meant having RVP and the current rabble !. hahaha Also, I did say for next season it would take for a world class striker and more. The more bit being the DM you lust after !. hahaha.
    By the way, one player who will be available in the Summer is Lewandowski, he is doing an RVP and is not signing a new contract according to Sky Sports !.

Lewellandowski could be a success at Arsenal and Wojciech might be able to bring him to the home of football 🙂

I guess he would fit in well, but I reckon HH will tell us in a minute he is not the calibre of Cavani or Benzema 🙂

And I reckon he would be right 🙂

124. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi Total,
    just on your request for a ‘new’ Vieira, last summer Arsene Wenger wanted Vertonghen to fill the Emmanuel Petit role, which suggests that in the mind of the manager, losing Petit was more pivotal to our axis than losing Vieira.
    Vieira was fantastic for us, but I remember in the tunnel at Highbury Jan/Feb 2005, just before we played Manchester United he tried to intimidate Gary Neville. Roy Keane intervened and Vieira visibly shrunk. The game was lost before we’d got on the pitch, and they beat us 4-2.

Hi Herb,

I am more looking for the PV characteristic and a Gilberto skillset. PV and RK were equal to each other in my view, and always a great battle to watch.

126. glic says:

One thing`s for sure Totes, it`s going to be an interesting and exciting ( imo ) summer TW and amongst all the journalistic bull shit, maybe a gem !. 🙂

HH, if are still reading, please can you check your email?

Glic, sorry to be a doomer, but in terms of football, the summer is going to be a nightmare: no footie for 2 whole months, and only endless transfer gossip day in day out… 😦

129. glic says:

Right, I like to have a relaxing evening before my Friday long run, only as far as Wolverhampton ( no Totes, I`ve no idea what a hampton of a wolver looks like, so no crudeness ! hahaha ) tomorrow, but still a fair distance.
    Have a good evening gentlemen . 🙂

130. Highbury Harmony says:

TA :),

Great minds think alike, I was working on the article hence my absence the past hour or so haha! I will respond to your e-mail right away.

131. glic says:

But Totes, If we didn`t have at least some summer transfer gossip, we would become Cucumber Leather on Clogg Zombies…..yes Cricketterpersonpeoples, !. You would be talking about your googlies down at silly mid off and we would all commit suicide !. Summer TW…..you know it makes sense !. hahaha

132. Highbury Harmony says:

I am not opposed to getting Lewandowski at all! Any Borussia Dortmund product who displays the qualities that Lewandowski does is always welcome at my beloved Arsenal. He certainly fits into our price range much better than Cavani, and would allow us to fill those other gaping holes in our squad that I mentioned earlier.

Lewandowski is a wonderful talent who could become world-class once he proves further consistency and the ability to maintain his goal scoring across two leagues. Lewandowski is severely underrated and his ball control and dribbling are spectacular. He has good pace (not outstanding though), is a good finisher, displays good link-up ability, can play with his back to the goal and is very adept in the air. He’s basically a more refined Giroud at a younger age, with better finishing, more pace and superior dribbling (albeit not as powerful in the air).

Good to hear it works for you Glicster, I absolutely detest the summer TW, and it will be a big challenge to keep BK going over the summer! 🙂

134. glic says:

A detailed HH report everyday on every Summer TW rumour will keeps us ticking over , sounds just like our top Canadian talent spotters cup of tea ( obviously without the bagging…..I think ) !. hahaha

135. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha glic, that is exactly how I planned to spend my summer! So long as you are paying me an exorbitant amount of cash to do so, I can’t see why I wouldn’t 😉

136. Highbury Harmony says:

Incorporating some of the other ideas in this thread, this would be the dream team for us next year:

———————–Cavani———————–
    Cazorla————Wilshere————-Walcott
    ————Diaby—————-Capoue———-
    Monreal—Vermaelen—Amorebieta—Sagna
    ————————Cesar————————

Bench: Szczesny, Gibbs, Koscielny, Arteta, Ramsey, Podolski, Giroud

Reserve: Mertesacker, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho

If Diaby can stay healthy and perform consistently like he did vs. Liverpool earlier in the season, could we come close a title with that line-up? In my very humble opinion, it could have some of the makings of the Invincibles Part 2 🙂 (probably not but I can dream hahaha!).

hahaha HH, one can only dream 😛

hahaha HH, one can only dream 😛

You might as well replace Diaby with Schweinsteiger 😀

139. Highbury Harmony says:

Shhh TA, I dream of the day we can mirror the Invincibles again. Perhaps it will be with more relatively unknown players, but I know there will be a day!

Also, I definitely understand the infatuation with Schweinsteiger, but give me someone more like Vieira. The man wanted the fight, to be forced to fight and brought that mentality with him to every single game, no matter who the opponent was. We definitely need someone with his battling capabilities to release the creativity and Arsenal football further up field. Every time I see Schweinsteiger play, I am reminded more of a player like Didier Deschamps than an aggressive, strong tackling midfielder like Vieira or Keane (if any of that makes sense).

The million dollar question is, does that player exist who is a warrior and is as efficient and skilled offensively as he is aggressive defensively?

New Post – New Post!

Marcus is rather impressed with our newest signing – and with good reason! 🙂

Shhhhh yes, Schweinsteiger it is.

142. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, do you really believe Schweinsteiger is like Vieira/Keane? I see some similarities, but definitely not the same type of player in terms of aggression and defensive capabilities. He can protect the back four with astute defending but not the same way as either Vieira or Keane. Both instilled fear in the opposition and neither were scared to get in the thick of a real fight if one broke out on the pitch.

HH, he is a winner, a driver, a very clever player who reads the game so well and has a great engine. IF he needs to be agressive he can be: he has everything we need to add to our team. With Santi and Jack in front of him we would be laughing my friend, laughing. 🙂

He is the only Bayern player who impressed me as an indvidual last week.

144. Highbury Harmony says:

Certainly we’d be a force to be reckoned with TA, but that wasn’t my point. I want a battler, someone like Jack who will stand up for his teammates and that the opposition fears lining up against. Someone who will just as easily score a goal as he will throw a no-nonsense tackle to warn the opposition to avoid the center of the park. I want that type of player at the Arsenal and that is what Vieira brought to the team defensively (along with Campbell and Gilberto of course…man we were spoiled 🙂 ).

But HH, that is exactly what Schweini would bring! 🙂

You just don’t like him because he plays for the other side and Dortmund got one on the nose yesterday by Die Lederhosen! 😀

147. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, he wouldn’t though! I’ve seen him play so many times and even Vieira himself admitted that he plays more like Deschamps than himself or Keane :). He’s just not as aggressive in the tackle and approaches the defensive side of things more sensibly (not saying it’s a bad thing by any means).

148. Highbury Harmony says:

And yes, still reeling from that loss yesterday. Trust me when I tell you, there is no Patrick Vieira out there!

Yes, but Vieira believes that Diaby is like him….

150. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, note that Vieira says that Diaby is not like him but has some similarities to him :). He said Diaby had the skills and ability to be better than him offensively, but his career has been ruined by injuries.

Yes injuries. and I just don’t think he has got the stamina and focus to reach the top either. So close and yet so far: very frustrating… 😦

152. JM says:

Arturo Vidal = (Closest to a new) Patrick Vieira

153. Gooner4eva49 says:

Good stuff. Want to see Podolski get a run of games as striker. Love that bloke his passion and aggression is brilliant. He will be a big part of this team driving us to success.

One player, The Incredible Hull

Morning Gooner4eva49 – the incredible Hulk is an interestng choice. Could well be the one… 🙂

155. SharkeysSuresGhost says:

“Take a sad Song and make it better”…Lol

156. THE one player i would kill 4 to be in the red and white is……….MARIO GOTZE…YES!!!!

i thnk about it i dream about it,heck i even live about it…you don’t earn the title ‘GERMAN WILSHERE’ 4 nothing!!!just imagine it..2 WILSHERE’S on the same pitch…mouth watering stuff!!!!