What to do with Olivier Giroud?

download (1)

Olivier Giroud has been at Arsenal for seven months now: he has played 39 games (all competitions), scored 14 and produced 10 assists. You could say, not a bad return for a first season in the Premier League. The only problem for the Frenchman is he plays in the position a certain treacherous Dutchman used to occupy, and the former Montpellier striker has, at least until now, not succeeded in making us forget him – not that this is necessarily his responsibility alone.

It is still early days, and I find it quite hard to give an accurate assessment of Giroud’s qualities and likely progression of his football career at Arsenal. His strength are his work-rate, aerial ability, and shooting skills, although the latter is good but not great.

I am yet to be impressed with his hold up play and passing: his first touch could be better, and for a very tall and well-build striker he struggles often to shield the ball from opponents, and win many one-to-ones. On the plus side, Olivier makes good runs and is a good team player, which is reflected in the number of assists he has produced until now.

Of course, we have been blessed at Arsenal with a number of truly fantastic strikers, especially in recent times: Wright, Anelka, Henry, Bergkamp, and Van Judas were all phenomenal. I doubt that we will add Giroud to the list of Arsenal striker-greats anytime soon, although I repeat it is still early days to make that judgement.

Giroud reminds me more of the Adebayor or Bendtner type of striker: very physical and strong in the air, with a good shot; but not with the touch and timing, the elegance and ruthlessness of some of our more illustrious strikers. What sets him apart from the other two strikers, though, is his phenomenal work-rate and continuous team play.

I watched him live at the Emirates against Blackburn and away against Norwich this season, and in both games I was underwhelmed by him. His performances against Bayern and Spuds were also below par as he was unable in both games to add a bit of magic; a bit of quality that would get us back into the game again.

But then I was unimpressed by most of our team in those games, and I also realised how little we played as a strong unit; Arsenal have been anything but a well-oiled machine with purpose and good telepathic relationships between the players in most of our recent games.

It so often looks that Giroud is trying too hard: he is desperate to play really well and make us all love him with his goals and assists, but by doing so he seems to regularly lose his composure and focus in the game.

As this is his first season and Arsenal are going through a big transition as a team, and his work-rate is always fantastic, I feel we need to give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him to rediscover his form again during the remainder of the season.

Come next season, it is very likely that Giroud will find strong competition from a newly signed striker who might become first choice immediately. But if that were the case, I am sure Giroud would fight with all he has got to claim back the central striker role.

And even if he would lose out to this newly signed top-striker, Giroud will still be a fine squad player to have. He could still start a number of games and give the new striker a break now and again; and he could also become our ideal super-sub. Whether he would accept such a role is an entirely other matter!

But there is also still a possibility that he will start to properly flourish in the next couple of months and show us all that he is more than worthy of the top-striker spot.

How do you think Giroud’s Arsenal career will develop over the next few years?

Β

Written by: TotalArsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to What to do with Olivier Giroud?

1. Jess Pattison says:

Your last sentence said Develope over the next few years. As a 55 year supporter I hope there will not be a next year for him, he is the worst striker ( including Bentner ) I have ever seen, give your head a shake Venger.

2. oz gunner says:

Very good topic TA and one that’s on every arsenal supporters mind at the minute.

Personally I blame both HH and myself. It is obvious that Giroud reads BK and he read the discussion we had about him. He’s either sided with me and is trying too hard to become world-class, or he’s angry at HH for saying he never will be and is trying to prove him wrong!

It’s been evident form day 1 that he is trying too hard to impress at the Emirates. Following in BSR’s footsteps is enough to rattle anyone’s mindset so I’m not surprised. I think the partnership with Walcott isn’t helping the cause either. he needs a crafty partner like a Jovetic to work with so he can truly bring the best out of himself and his team mates.

At worst he becomes a serviceable squad player, at best he settles down nicely, forms a good bond with his team mates and starts becoming a dominant striker for us.

Romelu Lukaku is a worry because he’s already imposing himself on the league and is going to be a younger Drogba for Chelsea. Hopefully Real or Inter buy him so we do not have to deal with him in the future!

3. Adam says:

Personally, I think he’s utter quality, he wins many flick on’s and I would prefer to see him in a 2 ST formation with Walcott/Podolski alongside him. He was unfairly criticised in the first 10 or so games for us where he was just getting used to the formation and how the players around him played.

I think the addition of another ST will bring the best out of him as it’ll take pressure off him. If it weren’t for him being compared to RvP every time we’d deem him a very successful player for his first season. Something which I do believe. A return of 24 from 39 games is damn good for their first season.

4. Browz says:

giroud is a rubbish finisher chelsea he missed when cech was no where to be seen, At tottenham should have scored, liverpool at anfield he missed a one on one, face it we need a striker who also plays like an attacking fielder, some like van p rooney , tevez , agrueo, villa & luis suarez. We don’t need holding strikers they ruin the flow of our passing we need technical players who can play football and finish.

5. oz gunner says:

@ Jess

Patience, patience, patience! Can’t give up on him in his first season

6. Dylan says:

I personally like him a lot. He just is under a lot of pressure and Wenger did nothing to take that off him by signing the striker we needed in January. I think if he has a world class striker ahead of him he can be a fantastic sub and will be the type of player to fight for his spot. He needs a chance to play as a supporting striker for a world class one or something. But I quite like him give him time. It’s podolski I’m worried about. But that’s not the topic right now. Nice read Total

7. Browz says:

we need a world class striker not an average striker who takes one season to become good i don’t remember torres doing that in his first season, what about mitchu in swansea & agrueo, weren’t they good in the first season?. Time is ticking for arsenal foootball club we can’t wait for players to become good the time is now.

Really Jess. The worst you have seen???
    So you think that John Hawley is a better striker than Giroud?
    What about Kaba Diawara, Jess, you rated him as well?
    Brian Hornsby, Raphael Meade, Chris Wreh, all better than Giroud then Jess???

9. Brian says:

14 goals and 10 assists in 39 games is not bad at all for a first season in the prem. Can anyone tell me how many the great Thiery got in his first or even the van judas, Suarez the list goes on. the team is not playing well that’s a fact OG has just faced all the criticism personally I think a bit too harsh for we have got worse performers in the team. Remember he did get golden boot in France yes I know it’s Ligue1 but I don’t remember Drogba, adebayo or even TH getting that advise me if I am wrong. What I am getting at is he knows where the goal is, ease up the pressure and let him get used to the league he will come through.

10. Highbury Harmony says:

Milo from yesterday :),

Glad to see you back on BK! To be honest, I was a little shocked and thought you left after our disagreement on Nani’s sending off. I just want you to know that when I disagree with someone it’s never to deliberately hurt their feelings or a personal attack from an earlier issue. I try to convey my disagreement in as pleasant a way as possible, though meaning is often lost through mediums other than face to face/over the phone!

If I’m bored, I often like to wind people up and go against the grain to stimulate the conversation :). In either case, happy to have you back here blogging with us on BK and for the clarification that the minor disagreement over Nani’s red card was not the reason you left hahaha.

11. Mike says:

There is no need for Giroud to be left out IF he can improve Henry and Bergkamp shared the pitch as dis Kanu and Bergkamp. Overmars and Bergkamp Come to think of it Bergkamp was always playing in a 442 as the deeper forward so If we can find another Dennis Bergkamp
    (BERGKAMPESQUE is the perfect name for a Arsenal Blog as it was Bergkamp more then any other player OR Manger we owe the Arsenal Style of play to. It was his insertion into the Squad that changed Arsenal from 1 nil to the Arsenal into the beautiful total football and it was no wonder it was Ajax and the Dutch where the total football concept was invented.

12. Highbury Harmony says:

Another interesting article and one that has been debated in the comment section numerous times, so it’s nice to finally have an article to open the debate!

Before I begin, let me say that I’m purposely trying to offend anyone in my opinion of Giroud (Oz, I’m looking at you hahaha πŸ˜‰ ).

I’m sure there will be plenty of mixed reviews when it comes to Giroud and like many others, I’m not quite sure where I stand with him. On the one hand, his work rate and commitment to playing the team game are admirable. He’s also made a few beautiful over the top passes that have led to some fantastic, classic Arsenal goals for Podolski and Gibbs. His flick ons and ability to get a touch on balls in the air is phenomenal and an aspect to our attack that we’ve never consistently had with strikers like van Judas, Henry, Bergkamp etc.

However, what concerns me most with Giroud is whether the hard work masks a lack of quality. There’s a term we use in the business world in NA that goes, “Working hard is admirable, but you’ll never get ahead if you don’t work smart”. For me, this quote encompasses Giroud’s game. Giroud works hard, but he often wastes energy that could be better served for leading the attack. When the game does not come to him, he tries to force something to happen and in the process, loses his composure and concentration in crucial moments later in the game. He is constantly dispossessed when he has the ball at his feet because he has tunnel vision and can only concentrate on the defender directly in front of him; he’s not aided by his lack of pace and poor first touch either. Giroud’s link up play directly on the edge of the 18-yard box often leaves much to be desired as well. His finishing can certainly improve and he’s got plenty of time to prove that he belongs on this team.

Giroud operates best when there is less pressure and for me, he is the ideal super sub. His knack for getting on to the end of headers, especially when given a run is superb. Late in games when we are tied or down one goal, this would be crucial for us since defenders are tired and set pieces seem to given in waves. The pressure could also be relieved by the signing of a top notch striker this summer. I’m not even recommending a world beater like Falcao or Cavani, but a slightly lesser one in Lewandowski, Jovetic etc. Another striker would give him some healthy competition, especially if it contrasts his playing style and will offer us something different.

13. Highbury Harmony says:

Forgot to mention that Giroud is more effective when he can just play off the shoulder of the last defender and when he is only asked to make nice runs and for headers on set pieces. When you ask him to join up with teammates in link up play or to carry the ball is when you invite trouble; it’s not part of his game and you are exposing his lack of pace. In Montpellier, he excelled because Belhanda took away a ton of pressure by drawing defenders away and playing in a Bergkamp role for him, where Giroud could lurk around and finish with ease when given the opportunity.

14. Highbury Harmony says:

Oz, you will notice from my more recent comments that my stance on Giroud has lightened :). So long as there is no mention of a comparison to Gomez, van Judas or other top strikers, I can be very reasonable and well balanced hahaha. I always liked him at Montpellier, but I still feel we need more quality up front to truly compete with the Mancs.

15. Highbury Harmony says:

lol @2:17, that should read I’m NOT purposely trying to offend anyone!

16. OMGArsenal says:

Giroud does try very hard and based on his first season stats, has succeeded. He has scored 14 and produced 10 assists over 39 games, a scoring rate of a goal every 2.78 game played! His assists per game are 1 in every 3.9 games so, for a first season in the EPL, an impressive return…and it is a lot better than Torres, on a par with Bale’s and certainly better than Arshavin,Chamakh,Bendtner, or Vela’s in their first season. He is in the top 10 EPL strikers range and will likely get better as the season progresses.
    He isn’t a Henry or a Bergkamp or a Whitey etc. but how many current EPL strikers are or ever will be such legends? Lets give him our support and patience, we will see better from him as the season reaches the run-in.
    Jess….give your head a shake and learn to spell your Club’s manager and player’s name properly. I hear they accept 55 year olds in school to upgrade their literacy…try that please!

17. Geoff s says:

I have faith in giroud I am a paid up member the player that I have an issue with is theo Walcott all talk but not much action. We’re giroud may not be the most reliable infront of goal at least hen ever gives up and keeps trying and assisting others in the team. All this talk about havering one goal scorer is rubbish after all if you shut down that one you shut down the team. However if you have three strikers the opposition don’t know who to watch.

18. Highbury Harmony says:

OMGArsenal,

Completely unnecessary to directly attack another commenter, please refrain from doing so in the future!

19. Highbury Harmony says:

And despite what the stats may show, it’s been clear that by his performances on the pitch he is definitely not top 10 in the league. Also 4 of those goals came in cup competitions against inferior competition in Reading, Coventry and Brighton.

20. cgntzaa says:

I like him alot, hes strong in the air gets alot of flickons, holds up the ball, he just tries to hard to score and overdoes it. But my bet is that hes gonna become a superstar next season

21. Milo says:

I like Giroud. If it were up to me though, we’d buy a top class striker, like everyone has been saying we need. I WOULDN’T buy Lewandowski though. Not for the type of money Dortmund want. He too thrives when there is less pressure on him. Look at his goal scoring record at international level…I can’t remember, but I think it’s pretty bad. He’s young though and will improve!!! To be honest I’d rather have Rues than Lewandowski, but that’s just my opinion. I didn’t mention Gotze, because he is more of an attacking midfielder, than a striker. I think the striker we should be chasing is Stevan Jovetic, and I’m sure I’m not the first or only one who thinks we should buy him.

Way to go Allezkev!!! Hahahahahah that comment made me laugh!!! πŸ˜€

22. Highbury Harmony says:

Milo,

I, too, love Reus. I would prefer him over Lewandowski as well from all the time I’ve spent watching them play at Dortmund. However, Lewa’s price tag is only rumoured to be Β£15-20 mil compared to Reus’ which is likely Β£22-25 mil. Also, Lewa turned down a new contract and has a better chance of being sold this summer.

Jovetic is a striker I’ve recommended for quite some time on BK and he would be the perfect fit for the Bergkamp role in our set-up; he’s just as good at setting others up as he is at finishing. Still got a ways to go in his finishing, but his passion, sublime touch, incredible ball control and link-up play is phenomenal.

23. denver says:

I think giroud I’d the perfect striker I do not think playing him in a lone striker role in his first season is doing his form any good he reminds me of denni bergkamp. Were we to sighn the ideal strike partner and switch back to 4-4-2 and let him play next to poldi with santi playing on the left as an inside foward would produce magic for MY ARSENAL

24. bengalgunner says:

I really think he can be a good and effective striker when played with a partner. Hopefully we can get a world class striker in the summer who can partner him on the right or we can play Theo there.

One more thing, he is a far better player than the over confident Bendtner .

25. nutcase says:

I think Giroud is a good striker. He has to relax a bit. At times trying too hard. Arsenal have underperformed this season. As a team we are one of the best in providing goals. SO as the creativity increases so will the goals from Giroud, Poldi, Theo….

I am a bit short of time, so I have only glanced through the comments – sorry guys.

I have just been listening to Andrew of Arseblog fame, as a guest on the American Podcast.

He makes the interesting point that Giroud’s lack of goals has coincided with the absence of Podolski in the starting line up (for whatever reason?). Recommend it as a good listen, but skip the second half with Jeremy Wilson if you are fond of AW – He starts off by speculating as to whether Arsene is putting the hours in!! .. Grrrr

I was amused with Giroud and his language skills when he skied the one over the bar, as his basic English was well to the fore when somebody, presumably, queried why he did not pass it … you did not need a lip-reader to gather his response?

I felt he was quite right to take the shot on. First, his smart turn gave him a clear shot … at row Z, but down to ground level too. Secondly, that is what strikers do. If there is an opportunity to have shot they take it. One of his last goals was one in a very similar move.

I’ll stick to my view that we have a confidence thing that is self-perpetuating. We are not winning games, well enough to say we are in a good run of form. The lack of confidence at the back has led to us conceding goals we shouldn’t concede, which puts more pressure on the attack, etc etc.

We need a positive game in Germany to lift the spirits. Follow that up with the 6-pointer against Everton and our remaining games will start to look winnable?

This is straying from question raised, but I feel it is central to it. I know many would like to see Podolski in the 9 spot, and may be it is worth another go. I feel Podolski’s best stuff comes when just off centre on the left. In the 4-3-3 we mainly use it allows him not to be stuck out wide, which, coming back to the earlier point, having Giroud taking the heat of defenders, can also give him space. Having Walcott in the middle tends not to get the same respect from defenders, as one is usually enough, unless he is coming in at pace?

We hope that this mini break is giving the team plenty of time to work on things, like communication, like getting back to support, like getting the best set up in the back 4, and also up front too? I have suggested that we could try Gnabry, or even Akpom, against Bayern, to see if there is an alternative to Giroud? The problem there is, apart from the game last night, the Under 21’s have a game on Monday I think, so if they are both involved in that, I doubt we will see that change. It would be a big step up for either, and I am sure Gnabry would love to play, and would have no problems in communicating with Podolski. However, his play looks better suited in the Podolski role, along side a main striker, so for that to work it would have to be Pod in the middle. Akpom however, built like a well known outhouse, is a central guy. At the moment he is still very raw, but it lakes at least two defenders to stop him powering through, and he has a deadly shot in him. Still young, but one very much likely to make the necessary progression next season.

So without that pair, we are back to shuffling the same deck. Unless they try Giroud in a deeper role, with say in behind Walcott and Poldi, there is not going to be much variation for the opposition to think about?

Elsewhere, from the younger ranks, Angha looks a capable LB to think about, with Gibbs and Monreal both out. Not the same type as the other two, but solid enough if TV5 is not shifted wide again. He would add height to the back 4 too. I suppose a lot will depend on Sagna’s fitness.

A clean sheet an and a goal or two would be nice. Expecting us to overturn the 3 goals is probably asking too much, but a decent performance will be a boost if we are to seriously challenge to get a CL spot? It is all about confidence and concentration, and the rest will take care of itself …probably?

Right, I off until midday. Nice to see you’re back Milo ..

27. harun says:

hahaha..van judas…classic gooner!!!!can’t stop laughing!!!!

Giroud will come good..lets give him time…chim chimney giroud!!!!!!

Thanks for the great comments. I will be back later this morning. πŸ™‚

29. Red Arse says:

Good Morning, BKers — really good topic, TA!! πŸ™‚

You guys are very persuasive in your comments, and I sway from one point of view to the other.

What do I think? For a first season player he has shown a lot of committment and energy, and no one hares arounf trying to close down more than Giroud does. (Wish Walcott would take a leaf out of his book).

He has suffered because there has been a dip in the midfield support players. recently Jack has been misfiring with his passing and so has Cazzor.
    That is only temporary and when the midfield sparks so will Giro.

There has been just as much chopping and changing in the offense as there has been in defense, and sometimes we have had the spider, aka the Gerv, playing at CF (disaster) or Theo (not really a CF) or the Pod has been in the Pod has been out, Giro has been dropped (sorry, I meant ‘rested’) sometimes he plays and so it goes on.

This has been the most unsettled team in all departments I can remember, and it is no surprise we have not played as well as we all hoped.

Yes, we need a Suarez type, and yes, we need a stable environment for the team, and then we will start motoring.

I have not given up on the Giro, even though he is trying too hard, and is blowing the scoring chances he is getting. When he relaxes, gets better service — he will come good!

30. Red Arse says:

Great to see you back in action Milo. πŸ™‚

Good comment, OMG, and I know some bloggers can irritate, (loose my cool – me?) πŸ™‚ but better not bother with typos and mis-spellings — or else I would get the boot from the site too!! πŸ™‚

31. mushaski says:

giroud is a bad striker arsenal have signed. i prefer bendtner to him. sluggish striker…Giroud. poldoski better upfront

32. oz gunner says:

Hahaha HH i knew this one would have you firing on all cylinders. I respect your opinion as always, and what’s this about you causing a ruckus on here to stir trouble? πŸ™‚

In fairness to me I said he COULD develop into a more clinical striker in the mould of Gomez (aka George McFly
    http://p.twimg.com/AvVwbs0CIAEFp2-.jpg:large )

But he still is a fair way off that level obviously.

@ OMG

don’t listen to RA…he wrote the dictionary. I on the other hand could probably be declared mentally challenged based on my English…so you don’t say that! πŸ™‚

Morning again, guys. I am preparing for a meeting I have in London tomorrow and will not be able to comment back in great detail.

I love the comments though, and I have learned a couple of things from reading them. Basically, for most the jury is still out but they have warmed to him due to his work-rate and the fact this is only his first season (and his return on investment is decent, with 14 goals and 10 assists). Then there are a few who don’t rate him at all, but these bloggers tend to comment with one-liners, which is totally unhelpful for meaningful debate. And finally, there are a number of bloggers who do rate Giroud a lot and reckon he will get better an better. And finally, finally, there is HH’s view hahaha πŸ˜›

So a really nice mix of responses, and if Giroud was to read the comments today, I am sure he would get encouragement from the feedback you have given him.

And a goal (or two) against Die Lederhosen would be very nice OG!! (and I don’t mean own goals haha). πŸ™‚

Catch you later compadres!

34. glic says:

Afternoon Splooge Buckets πŸ˜†

Thanks Totes. We can either play to his strength`s or as it`s a team game let him carry on working his sock`s, which is easy for him as the lucky bastard ( alledgedly ) has three legs ! . hahaha

So what do we make of a few of the latest rumours ?.

1) The takeover. I can reveal in a BK world exclusive that a certain Rip van Rottenklomphelmetstein has travelled to London for takeover talks. The Norfolkian (who orangeinates from the Neveregions ) is a Multicloggenaire. he made his wealth from providing inbred Norfolkians with award winning Edamsplooge ejaculating Klompen dildo`s powered by two electric Babybel`s.

2) Connected with above takeover is the potential signing of Wayne Rooney. RvR has brought together representatives of young Shrek and our own Terry Mancini Hair Transplant in a ground breaking pay per transplant deal. Every transplant transaction from TMHT`s Bounds Green loft ( headed by leading Follicur Unit Extraction expect Domingo and his team of illegal Philiphino slave boy hair donors ) and “Wayne Rooney Hair Transplant” shirt sold will pay Rooney`s wages !.

Sounds like we`re in the money !. hahaha

hahahaha Glic, you’re a genius! πŸ˜›

I mean, how do you know this?!

36. glic says:

Tote`s, One of my many hidden attributes is that of a contortionist ( stage name The Great Glicdini ), I tell you what, it was f**king hot travelling down the A12 stuck in the boot of your Mini and I`m glad you had a porno 8-track on to disquise the expletives coming out for the pain I was in, although, I shall congratulate you……….The award winning Klompen dildo`s do work and you may find one missing !. hahaha

37. Milo says:

For those of you saying we should play Gnabry or Akpom against Bayern, I would caution against that. Simply for the fact that Gnabry is only two weeks in to his recovery from a pretty serious injury. Also, Akpom is just getting accustomed to playing as a centre forward. I think next season will see him come in and given a shot as a centre forward in the first team. He’ll probably get a shot in pre-season, and if he succeeds, he’ll either go out on loan, OR if he really convinces the manager (Wenger, if he is still the manager, hopefully) he’ll stay with the first team for at least the beginning of the season. Remember the loan windows close AFTER the transfer window closes. So he’ll probably get a chance at the beginning of next season. I really would like to see how he does.

Benik Afobe has damaged his anterior cruciate ligament in his knee!!! 😦 This should be a warning to Akpom and his supporters, that such a highly rated player can suddenly fall off the map, due to poor form and bad luck with injuries. IF he goes out on loan, it would be ideal that he is READY to go out on loan!!! He’s only just turned 18, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a bump or two in the road for him. So far he has been so good, that there hasn’t been, and long may that continue!!! Strikers tend to develop a bit later than midfielders, so those of you who might be expecting him to do a Wilshere, must be cautioned. I’ve seen him play around three times, and I’ve really liked the diversity to his play. He can play as a striker, a winger OR even a deeper lying play-making striker, like Bergkamp. The comparison to Welbeck is valid. I know some people don’t rate him, but I happen to like the way Welbeck plays football. I think Akpom COULD be better technically than him though. But I temper that with this…he’s only 18!!! πŸ˜€

38. oz gunner says:

Afobe’s injury is shocking news Milo. two big injuries in a row for the poor kid. In 2009 I remember Barca being heavily linked with trying to steal him from us but he resisted temptation. The pre-season before last he played well in the Emirates Cup and this season the hat-trick for Bolton!

We really have had shocking luck with developing strikers at our club. So many promising players either not making it or resting on their laurels. Look at JET, Simpson, Freeman, Vela (12 goals, 6 assists, 22 appearances), Aliadiere (11 goals, 9 assists, 25 appearances for Lorient this season. Not bad at all), probably more I’ve forgotten.

39. Milo says:

Yeah, although I didn’t think we should have let Vela go 😦 But that’s in the past now…I think patience is the key. Maybe a little too much pressure was placed on Afobe, too early??? I don’t know…he could still make it, but I don’t think he is as highly rated as Akpom. Akpom might already be the better of the two and he’s at least a couple of years younger!!! Afobe just doesn’t seem to have quite as many facets to his play as Akpom does. Afobe DOES work VERY hard though, and I won’t be surprised if in a few years he is class!!! I think he will be a bit of a late bloomer, while Akpom might be a bit of the opposite. I would like us to hold on to both, until we are sure that we have seen the best of them in terms of what their potential is.

New Post πŸ™‚

41. oz gunner says:

Agreed, I thought Vela was a bit too early also. He had plenty of chances sub wise but never full games. Those full games he did play (CC Cup) were very good. Watching GLIC’s vid the other day of the 6-0 victory against Sheffield reminded me just how clinical he was. Arsene always said he was the best finisher at the club, and he appeared very eduardo-esque. He was so highly rated as a youngster but did appear to stagnate. But as you said perhaps the late blooming type of striker.

I hope you’re right with both. I’m still frustrated that Simpson and JET didn’t kick on so my hopes are never really high with strikers. Arsene appears to be too friendly with not wanting to ‘hold back’ a players development and I feel he lets some players go too early. Let’s hope Akpom can kick on and not rest on his laurels and Afobe can come back stronger. It doesn’t look good for Afobe though, he has had such bad luck. Kind of like Frimpong too.

Still spewing players like Lansbury, Merida, G.Hoyte, and co never made it also.

Milo – Akpom may only be 18, but he is still built like a brick outhouse!

I only put their names forwards because, if people want a Plan B if the Giroud needs a break, and Walcott isn’t cutting it in the middle, it only leaves Poldolski. Just because it is Arsenal, it does not automatically they will get injured. If they are over-played like Jack was, maybe?
    Afobe’s injury was caused by an awkward landing, and that could happen just playing for the under 21’s? However, in my last post on this subject I did say it was unlikely to happen because of they have an under 21 match on Monday, In fact there are a regular run of those, and under 18’s coming up. But as both survived the terrible conditions yesterday, and if either was asked to play in Germany, I am sure they would jump at it?

Gnabry alongside Podolski or Giroud for an hour could be interesting though. You know what they say,if they are good enough …?

We will have an idea if anybody gets left out out of that Monday game, Angha for instance, as we need a left back?

Did you also see that one of our promising youngster who was released, partly because he wasn’t cutting it in the defensive positions, has now switched to being a very successful DM!!. How about the irony in that? He will cost Β£7m according to the report His name is Nordvelt.

The one hope, and it is a slim one, that Bayern might not be at the same level as they were in the first leg. What we don’t need is another trouncing?

I had a break from footy tonight as I was obliged to watch one of the two channels I was recording, and I chose American Idol. I am a sucker for these talent shows, and I have struck up an e-friendship with a lady who is also into them. She very kindly brought me back the Phillip Phillips CD from America – the winner of their X-Factor last year.

We are now looking through this show to try and pick the winner again. After the previous round, I though the best of the guys was Devin, and after tonight’s show I think he has a very good chance of making it to the final three. Unusually, he sings in both English and Spanish, yet looks strangely Scandinavian?

The girls look very strong this year though, and I assume it will be their turn next week? My early pick from them was the one from Alaska,I cannot remember her name but she is very, very good. There are a couple of really strong candidates in their half as well, so it will be tough to win it this time.

Now you can get back to your footy chat …

44. oz gunner says:

@ Gerry

You forget Meade as LB. He has already had a taste of CL football and despite his height looks very promising.

Nordtveit was a very promising CB that didn’t want to let go but didn’t want to “hold back”.
    Barazite (AM) was another I’m disappointed about not making it at Arsenal. Both along with Vela were very highly rated as youngsters. I remember getting an Arsenal magazine years ago and reading an article which had all 3 voted in the top youth players in football at that time.

45. oz gunner says:

@ Gerry

You lost me at American Idol…I think our Arsenal friendship can no longer continue…TA…you know what to do! πŸ™‚

46. Milo says:

Havard Nordtveit does look class now…and I was a little wary of letting him go. I think it was best for him though. I mean he has gained a lot of experience playing in Germany, and who knows??? He might go to a big club if he gets the chance in the future. Maybe he and Vela will come back??? Who knows. Also the need for Vela might dissipate somewhat because we currently have a young lad on loan to Betis, who is playing very well there, and can play as a winger or a striker!!! πŸ˜€ Joel Campbell is doing well there on a pretty consistent basis.

Oz Gunner – What is your guilty pleasure then?

I hadn’t forgot about Meade,I just hadn’t seen his name on team sheets lately?

I wasn’t saying that Nordtvelt had done well by leaving, just that it is ironic that we are nearly all agreed his ‘new’ position is the very one we are in greatest need of now. I fear that Coquelin may be another who will move on to better things elsewhere?

read ‘not done well’

49. macko says:

English Hello friends, I’ll make it short, Giroud did not the level of the PL, he must have hoped for the concurrency of progress, it is super bad in all areas of the game and we are playing every game has a 10 for it is useless, it’s going too fast for him ….

You could be right Macko. let us hope he will adjust soon.

51. Macko says:

I have not understood your message TA if j’ve been rude I apologize!

NO Macko you have not been rude and no need to apologize! πŸ™‚