Jenkinson, Gibbs & Koz excel – Santi is king – Fabianski impresses

Five conclusion from a faith-restoring victory over Bayern.

Violently happy Coz we love you! :)

Violently happy Coz we love you! 🙂

The boys did us proud tonight – I am absolutely delighted with their performance. If this team had been playing together for a while longer and we had just a bit more quality up-front,  we would even have nicked it.

Conclusion 1:

Our first priority is to get the defensive side of our football right; then we always have a chance, because we know how to play footie and score goals. The difference in performances of our defence during our home and away game could not have been much bigger. We hardly gave away any space behind our defence and between defence and midfield  tonight, and were confident in the air and on the ground. Koscielny was superb and his pace and energy gave Mertesacker a chance to organise the defence, and focus on his own positioning. The full-backs were magnificent, especially Jenkinson did us proud. They had drive and passion, speed and strength, and helped out up-front as well. Their performances give us real hope of what could be in the future.  Fabianski did everything right and did not flap once. I also really liked his verbal communication skills and willingness to give his fellow players an ear full when they deserved it.

Achieving a clean sheet against, and at, Bayern is a fantastic achievement by our ‘back-five’.

Conclusion 2:

Arteta and Ramsey did a great job defensively in front of the back-four. Yes, there were a few bad clearances, especially by Arteta at the start of the game, and some of the passes were not sharp enough, but they worked hard and denied Bayern space in the centre of midfield. Unfortunately, it meant that Rosicky remained isolated up-front a lot, but at least Ramsey tried to support him as much as he could; and it is exactly how we managed to create the first goal. Of course this will remain the seemingly eternal dilemma for us: 4-3-3, as in 4-2-1-3 or 4-1-2-3, can either make us too defensive or too attacking, and we need the right balance of players/skill-set to get it exactly right. We switched to 4-1-2-3 in the end, when Cazorla replaced Ramsey by moving towards the middle, and it almost worked out for us.

A big minus point of Arteta was his inability to keep his composure towards the end, leading to him giving away a number of avoidable free-kicks, which allowed Bayern to simply see out the game.

Conclusion 3:

Cazorla’s drive, overview and composure was magnificent tonight. He was at times absolutely faultless and never was in hiding throughout the night. For me, he was the best player on the pitch tonight  – Jenkinson and Koz were not far off either, though – and what a player Arsene has signed with him. On the other hand, Rosicky had a rusty night of football; plenty of hunger and willingness, but not much came off and he often lost out in the one-to-ones with the Bayern midfielders. However, he was often left isolated, and he did not play often in our team this season; which caused a number of his passes going astray.

Conclusion 4:

We lacked that bit of extra quality up-front to properly finish off Die Lederhosen tonight. Theo put a few great crosses into the box – one leading to the first goal – but he faded in the second half; and his  partnership with Giroud is still not working out properly. Giroud scored the goal and worked his socks off, but (still) lacks composure and physical strength; just that little bit extra that would make him a great rather than a good striker.

Conclusion 5:

The entire team was well organised, very focussed and disciplined, and played with great passion. After a number of negative, and often humiliating results recently, the boys did us more than proud. We probably were too defensive for too long of the game to complete the miracle, but it was the best strategy for us on the night.

As per the start of this blog, if this team had played longer together, and had  a bit more quality up-front as well, Arsenal could have completed the turnaround tonight. Alas, it was not to be.

Finally

I reckon this unexpected, and almost heroic away-win will do us a world of good. Our next game is away against Swansea and there is every reason to play the same back-five and same ‘double DMs’ as tonight again. It would be great if Podolski returns to the team against The Jacks and Cazorla can replace Rosicky in the middle. I would start Giroud centrally again, but maybe give the Ox or Gervinho a start on the wing instead of Theo.

Tonight, Arsenal regained tremendous confidence and our reputation in Europe, and at home, has been restored a bit again. A real shame we did not make it through, but we simply left ourselves with too much to do after our disappointing home game against the Germans.

However, as this is a painful and necessary transitional year for Arsenal, it is victories like these that will help us to gradually get back to the very top again. A couple more players of real quality this summer and we should be able to go all the way.

Written by: TotalArsenal.

63 Responses to Jenkinson, Gibbs & Koz excel – Santi is king – Fabianski impresses

HH wrote in previous post:

“Jenkinson, Koscielny and Fabianski were absolutely brilliant tonight. Those three made the difference on defence and Jenkinson bailed us out on a few occasions and had that jump in his step that we’ve been sorely lacking from our back four. Koscielny immediately fed off of this and made some great blocks himself. Fabianski was solid and reacted well to balls in the air, shots on the ground and to passes that were sent back to him.
    I didn’t mind Gibbs’ yellow on Robben because it was assertive and he showed Bayern that he wasn’t going to let anyone have space down the left. I thought for his first game back, defensively he was well positioned and came up with some timely blocks. You could tell he was a bit off the pace offensively, but that’ll come back with time. It’s nice to have Monreal back there to give him some games off after playing a full 90 in his first contest back.
    I thought Gervinho was excellent once he came on, but unfortunately just lacked the finish. His link up play with Santi that led to our initial best chance to make it 2-0 was fantastic. He just needs to regain his touch and compose himself in that situation.
    A lot of sloppy passing today, especially by Rosicky, Ramsey and Arteta. They each had about 5 balls that they misplaced when they were under no pressure at all. Unacceptable in most circumstances, but fortunately we were reliable enough defensively today to not let those mistakes cost us.
    Arteta was the worst player for me today. I mean he conceded some unnecessary fouls at crucial moments in the game and his free kick in the 88th minute was just a complete waste. As a veteran player and our vice-captain, I expect WAY better from him. The only positive was that I read an article that stated he asked the board to spend money this summer to improve the team because he and the whole squad think we’ve been shite this year and do not want that to happen again (the truth).”

Hi HH 🙂

I reckon you are being a bit harsh on Arteta and Ramsey. We owned the centre of midfield and the area in front of our box for almost the entire game against B, and they both played a big part in it.

Agreed on Gervinho, but I reckon he did everything right in the move you describe in your comment. Giroud just did not anticipate where the ball was most likely going to end up, and I don’t think Gervinho could have done any better.

I feel Arsene should have brought Ox and Gerv on 10 minutes earlier, but I understand why he was reluctant to do so.

3. Taurai mabota says:

Dis is good Wenger .

4. Milo says:

If anything this result should show everyone that Arsenal is more than just Jack Wilshere and a bunch of bums!!! 😀 I hope to God we get Jack back soon, but this should provide Cazorla and even Arteta with some confidence!!! 😀 Ramsey too!!! 😀 I know Arteta gave away some silly fouls late in the match, but aside form that, he did VERY well. Ramsey still needs to refine his play a little, but he did well for the opening goal. At least I think he played a part in it…not 100% sure though…Also Gervinho was effective and so was Oxlade-Chamberlain, when they were introduced. When they play to their capabilities, the squad players CAN provide us with depth. And quality depth!!! 😀

I hope we can remain as solid as we were here, for the rest of the campaign…I know there will be a bump or two in the road, but we should be fine if we can play at a similar level for the rest of the season.

5. Highbury Harmony says:

I’m not being harsh on those two, as they DID misplace a lot of passes, which for Arteta is extremely uncharacteristic of him (Ramsey isn’t always a starter so it’s inconclusive if he misplaces a lot of balls frequently). Arteta’s play at the end of the game, while aggressive, was completely misguided and cost us precious time, as Bayern was given the ability to time waste. The analysts and commentators were ripping him apart for that and I also felt the same way. It’s not his fault that we didn’t score the third goal, but he should be more composed in those situations, especially the delivery on the final set piece.

Also, I don’t think we were as dominant in the center of the pitch as you seem to believe, I think we played well defensively and that we pressured them when they had the ball well, but possession was split and Bayern had plenty of room and chances but we forced them to shoot from outside our 18-yard box for most of the match. So from a defensive standpoint, we were dominant, not necessarily in the middle of the park where we gave away A LOT of possession and never really created chances after the initial goal, until Gervinho and Ox were subbed on.

Giroud had nothing with the play I described about Gervinho, it was a one-two between Santi and himself and Gerv turned and was clear on goal, but shot the ball wide (from what I remember). Giroud was at fault for a different play where he should have backheeled it to Santi but was a little slow and couldn’t get a proper touch on the ball to send him for on a clear chance at goal.

6. Highbury Harmony says:

Giroud had nothing to do*

7. Highbury Harmony says:

Milo, Ramsey did play a part in the goal. Cazorla’s pass to break open Bayern’s defence was the initial play, which then found Ramsey who passed it to Rosicky, who then found an open Theo who crossed it along the ground beautifully for Giroud to tap in.

The issue was that as soon as we scored that goal, the handbrake was put back on and it was evident that in a situation where more goals were a necessity, it’s counterintuitive to play both Arteta and Ramsey. We didn’t manage a single shot on goal after the initial one (unless you count Giroud’s 40 yard shot on the counter that was 50 feet over the goal), which further proves my point. However, Ramsey and Arteta SHOULD be used to close out games for the rest of the season once we have gained a lead. They were very effective at being aggressive and closing down the opposition, together with Jenkinson, Gibbs and Koscielny.

When did we become effective on the attack again? Once Cazorla was pushed centrally with Rosicky, together with Gervinho and Ox on the wing that provided pace and the ability to take on defenders one on one.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any concerns over the refereeing standards in the CL this season?

9. Highbury Harmony says:

Also, TA well written conclusions and I appreciate all of your insight. I agree with all of your conclusions, except for part of #3. I thought Cazorla was very good, but that he was behind one of Jenkinson, Koscielny and Fabianski in performance tonight. Upon watching the replay, Fabianski’s save to deny Robben on the breakaway was just spectacular to keep us in the game and Jenkinson did just enough to force Robben to shoot it to area of the goal where Fabianski could reach it.

Cazorla too had a couple errant passes and was also subject to being stripped and out muscled on the ball on a few occasions, much like Rosicky. However, Caz definitely contributed more throughout the game, where Rosicky’s contributions were mere flashes here and there. Overall, very good game from Cazorla and he deserves the recognition for providing the pass that initially split Bayern’s defence open for the first goal.

10. Highbury Harmony says:

Allezkev, it’s been questionable here and there, but for the most part I’ve felt the games I’ve watched have been called quite fairly. There’s calls in any game that come under question and the CL is no different.

Have you found the quality to be much lower than previous years?

11. Ogejohns says:

I totally disagree with you when it comes to the choice of playing cazorla instead of rosicky. If cazorla had started the match, we could have lost the game. Cazorla doesn’t have that creative and pushing up the game to the opponent as Rosicky.

12. oz gunner says:

Bang on the money for me TA, some great points also HH.

Seeing that side of Kozza last night was a joy to watch. We all know what he is capable of and if we didn’t know who our best CB pairing is before, we definitely do now!
    Jenkinson once again showed why he deserved the England call-up. He has improved out of sight in the last two seasons, and his love for Arsenal shows in his game.

It’s just a shame Rosicky hasn’t played much recently because I have no doubt if the cobwebs were cleared prior to the game, we would have won!

The theo and Giroud partnership just isn’t working for me, it’s evident that both are trying to find their feet (Giroud in a new team and Theo in a new position). This is creating an ineffectual attack and costing us points.

I just think a quicker, stronger DM to take over Arteta’s position would really give us the impetus we need. This would allow Ramsey to push up the field more and help with the attack. Coquelin is the obvious choice for me

Bottle up that spirit the boys showed Arsene, because we need that for the rest of the season!

13. oz gunner says:

@ TA (last post)

It does suck, i miss coming on here and joining in with the discussion. GLIC is not far off though haha. Life isn’t easy analysing data whilst living in Terry’s shoe box! 🙂

14. Bazo says:

I tink cazorla,lik in most big games dis season was again not asertive as expected..he is lazy and usualy went mising in d imp games unlike mata..the bigest irony is dat not alot of people seem to notice dis just lik we never noticed verm decline prior to bein entirely obvious bcus of him also bein a fav players.arteta and cazorla must be not be startin if we rili want to win anytin next season…again!

TA – Good analysis on our play, and I am the last person to put a dampener on things, but the Bayern players did kind of turn up knowing they were already through?

But beyond that it was everything we asked for before the game, except for the overturning their 3 away goals?

I think every player had their good moments, and the odd iffy ones, with the exception of those in your headline?

Most of the misplaced passing was very hard on the eye, as it seemed to be that lack of understanding between them. Balls being placed where the receiver was, rather than where he wanted it?

I’m with oz gunner@5.09 in that our attack would be more potent with a single DM, allowing the extra AM – probably Jack when he returns – but that has to be one with physical presence. I think AW will not mess with this back 5 too much, may be Gibbs rested if he has any reaction to his early return. However, I do see him wanting to get TV5 into the team, so he is the most likely option? Coquelin is probably more suited at this time in his early career for the Ramsey role? Not that I am going to crab Ramsey on this performance, as he provided a lot of energy and urgency with his play, still running hard up to the moment of his withdrawal, and like Jack, it is that energy that the others can feed off?

However, next season I think Yennaris will be more of a contender, so I think we may lose one of them, and I am a big fan of both.

I would like to see someone playing closer to Giroud though. His knock downs were fine when out in open play, but once it gets close to the final 12 yards he gets crowded out far too easily. He needs someone to draw the defenders away, and Podolski seems to gel better than Gervinho? Lack of playing time with the latter may be, but also their different style of play. I said before the game I think that the Ox could be a No 10 in this team, playing in and around Giro, in true DB fashion if not of the same skill level. Again, Wilshere could improve his goal tally doing a similar thing?

So the blueprint for our remaining games is there, if the players can keep delivering? At least we will have given Swansea more to think about, and I don’t think they’ll be thanking ‘Vorm-the-mouth’ if it all goes pear shaped for them on Saturday?

16. Bobby Sure says:

Gervinho is pure class, that turn was sensational and there are few footballers in the world who could manage such a skill. He seriously has the x factor. Its a shame his confidence for the gunners is a little low, he could seriously be one of the best wingers in the league. On his day he’s easily our best winger. He’s someone we need to keep the faith with. When he comes good he will be unplayable.

17. oz gunner says:

@ Bobby

Fingers crossed mate. We would all love to see a clinical Gerv full of non-stop running. Potential is there, just needs to work on a few things first.

@ Gerry

Well said, some one at Giroud’s feet would be a treat. Oh how I’d love to see an Eduardo type playing with him. Chicharito would do just nicely

18. Arsenal Made Cesc Homesick says:

TA I agree with all of your conclusions and see them as a good way of summing up the match. However there is need to mention that this was our first game in 10 days and Bayern had a hard fought 3-2 victory over the weekend against Dusseldorf, which Im sure gave us a slight edge. Our tactics for the game worked brilliantly, but conceding three goals at home against one of Europe’s best teams effectively eliminated us from the tie, and reduced our valiant battle to a mere skirmish.

Morning guys 🙂

HH & Ogejohns,

For me Cazorla was man of the match, just ahead of Jenkinson and Koz, because he showed class and composure when everybody else looked nervous at the start of the game. He found space and dared to make risky passes and crosses that more often worked out than not; thus giving us shape and belief. This was real on-field leadership for me and for me it was one of the main reasons we won the game last night.

However, Ogejohns, I agree that Rosicky is a good player to have in the hole and if he were to start against Swansea in that position with Cazorla on the left or right, I would be just as happy. I just don’t think Tomas can play two games in quick succession anymore..

Well Oz, we miss you here as it is comments like you posted last night we really appreciate. 🙂

Bazo I don’t agree with you, but I respect that you see things differently. For me, Cazorla was the difference for us in midfield/attack: absolute class.

Morning Gerry 😉

A dampener by you?! hahaha 😛

Bayern were lucky that we did not turn up with Jack and the Pod last night, because we would have dumped them out of the CL; of that I am sure.

I agree that Ox could be very effective just behind Giroud, but but but he does not have the same sort of skillset as DB10 – and I am not talking about skill-levels/quality alone. Giroud on his own is not working though; and we could do with a proper, close control fox in the box (who mentioned Suarez the other day?). 🙂

Hi and welcome Bobby Sure

I agree that Gervinho can be great for us. He needs the love and patience of the fans and a run of good games of course.

Hi Arsenal MCH

Agreed, but sometimes having such a long break can work against you as well, and don’t forget the Germans have had a long winter break, and are only now getting back into the swing of things.

Arteta and Ramsey put in a lot of the dirty work which enabled us to break up Bayern’s usual dominance in the centre of the pitch. Although, it is fair to say they missed Schweinsteiger (my number one dream-signing for Arsenal this summer hahaha).

25. William rogers says:

Great blog many thanks we will get there and I am sure Mr Wenger is the right man, just a little faith and a couple of players in summer and get roid of some beru dead wood

26. oz gunner says:

@ TA (7.37)

If we signed Schweinsteiger I’d propose to Arsene. I’m fair dinkum too, I’ve wanted to see him at the club for so bloody long! I’d have to fend off many others but I’d like to think my legs would set me apart from the competition!

hahaha Oz, when I was 18 or 19, I once got a letter from a slightly older girl saying, among other things, I had sexy legs. I didn’t really know what to do with that compliment as I was crap at reading signs like that! hahaha 🙂

Schweini would brings so much to this team!

Hi all.. Lastnight game was awsome..
    Every players give their best to the game.. and that what they should be..
    Yes.. I am very proud to be a gunners.. I stand in front of my TV throughout the games..
    So excited just to sit down.. hehhehehe..

Just a little analysis about lastnight.. in the second half.. I think Wenger should not replace Walcott with Ox.. If only Gervinho in for Ramsey.. and walcott stay.. I think we will have a more chance to win..

Giroud look frustrated and seldom kick the ball without any direction..
    I don’t know what happened.. but he did it twice.. both in Emirates and Allianz arena..
    Something just not good with his mentality.. hope he will change it soon..

Cazorla is better for AM.. He can explore his ability in the middle more flexsible..
    Rosicky must play more often.. lastnight was not his best performed.. but if he play more often.. I am sure he will get his best again.. with 4 great AM.. Cazorla – Rosicky – Wilshere and Ramsey.. we will handle all the games..

The 4-1-2-3 formation is the best that we can do now.. and for the rest of the season we must stick out this formation..
    With Wilshere still injured.. than our midfielders must be Arteta/Diaby as DM and Cazorla – Roscky as two AM.. (and Ramsey subs)

Now I can not wait for Swansea game.. the atmosphere is high.. and we will do the same thing like we did last season.. after winning Milan..
    And with Gervinho back to his form.. than our striker will be much danger than before..
    win all the rest games will be more easier.. and we will be on the third place.. hehehehe.. Go Gunners..

29. Red Arse says:

Good Morning good folk! 🙂

Hi Henry,

If Vickers or Glic watch the entire game standing up they have a stroke hahaha. 🙂

I don’t think we are not ready/capable to play 4-1-2-3 for the rest of the season. I know it is what you want, but for me it is a careful balancing act between playing with two DMs or two AMs for the remainder. Let’s hope we get a strong DM in the summer which would give us more options.

Morning Reddinsky 🙂

TA – When you say Ramsey did some of the dirty work .. have you seen the stats? He covered over 10 mtrs in the time he was on… that is some effort/

Correction – I have so much dog hairs and dust under my keyboard half of what I press does not work!

Ramsey did over 10,000 mtrs!

Gerry the Welsh War Horse did us proud with his effort and desire. If he could only add a bit more composure to his game…

TA.. Just rotating our AM.. and give Cazorla rest for one or two..
    then we will still good at 4-1-2-3 formation.. hehehe..

VCC.. here are my prediction..
    Everton – City Away
    Swansea – Arsenal Away
    Sunderland – Norwich Draw
    Wigan – Newc Draw
    Vila – QPR Draw

I wish Fulham and Westham will follow our spirit.. and hold the game again Spurs and Chelsea to a draw or a win.. hehehe..
    What do you think about Chelsea and Spurs in Europe.. Must we wish them go trough next round to keep them busy or wish them out for that will make them unstable..??

Hey fine Gooners, Good Morning to you all.

How uplifting was that performance last night. Commitment, passion, fight, skill, I’m running out of superlatives,

That’s got me on the edge of my seat again in anticipation for Swansea at the week end.

The whole team were magnificent, but I would like to pick out Jenkinson, Koscielny, Gibbs and Fabianski for special praise. I wouldn’t mind these four in the trenches with me on that display.

Jenkinson was masterful in his duties, what a future he has in front of him.

Koscielny proved last night he is worthy of a starting place.

Gibbs was majestic. His fight and never say die attitude was outstanding. Did you see that far post clearing header he done in the first half……sheer class. I have been super critical of him in the past, but I take my hat off to him. If he carries on like that the left back position has his name on it. Play more defensive minded like tonight is the way forward for him.

Fabianski……Not a foot wrong all night. How difficult must that have been, not playing for so long and coming into a game like that. He proved his critics wrong last night.

Keep this up boys and we could get a top 4 finish.

Hi Henry….how re you?

your odds are 200-1….you need to start picking up some points in the home run, you are 16 points off the leader. With your skill and knowledge you can do it my friend. Good luck.

I would prefer Spurs and Chelsea to progress into the next round. This would give them a fixture pile up, which in turn would put more playing time on their squad. Then go out of the competition next round.

Hi VCC 🙂

Uplifting indeed and nice of you to praise Gibbs, after giving him a hard time recently! 😉

I would like the Chavs to go out today; as I don’t want them to win anything this season. And the latter also goes for the Spuds, but they will survive, no doubt, yet will face very strong opposition in the following rounds. 😀

Vics Baby, put some dosh on these.

Arsenal 5-0
    Utd
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Totts Fulham Draw

Nice post TA, you long legged He Beast. I can see why all the girls find you irresistable. What, with a combination of firm legs, Dutch buttocks, a shy and unassuming demeanour, and of course copious amounts of Waccy Baccy, who could resist? hahaha

Great result last night. i ahve always been in the camp that bekives that our defenders are good players but have not been afforded the right protection, in other words we do not defend as a team. This has resulted in a loss of confidence.

We played the game “properly” last night. Nice and compact with plenty of men behind the ball. Also, Gibbs and Jenks are young guys cutting there teeth, Merts is a tough carachter and Fab and Kos had something to prove. No lack of confidence last night, just gritting of teeth.

Mr. Mancini, good morning to you Sir. What a wonderful day it is outside. The sun is shining, Arsenal have put a smile on our face (again) and a spring in our step, and von cloggenstein is writing wonderful posts to start our day off with a bang.

As Mr. Dodd would say “how tickled I am to be a Gooner” 😉 “what a gay day to be able to converse with Gooners all over the world”

Your odds are 34-1

What a gay day.
    A man escapes from a prison where he’s been locked up for 15 years
    He breaks into a house and inside, he finds a young couple in bed.
    He ties him to a chair. While tying the wife to the bed, the convict gets on top of her, kisses her neck, then gets up and goes into the bathroom.
    While he’s in there, the husband whispers over to his wife,
    “Listen, this guy is an escaped convict. Look at his clothes! He’s probably spent a lot of time in jail and hasn’t seen a woman in years.
    I saw how he kissed your neck. If he wants sex, don’t resist, don’t complain. Do whatever he tells you. Satisfy him no matter how much he nauseates you. This guy is obviously very dangerous. If he gets angry, he’ll kill us both. Be strong, honey. I love you!”

She responds: “He wasn’t kissing my neck. He was whispering in my ear. He told me that he’s gay, thinks you’re cute, and asked if we had any Vaseline. I told him it was in the bathroom. Be strong honey. I love you, too.”

I didn’t know Suarez and Bale owned a race horse. It’s running at Cheltenham today in the 4.00…..number 22.

Cheers Terry, not sure about the buttocks but the rest……. 😛

Talking about buttocks – have a look at this:

Pretty much all in a nutshell, Terry:

“Of course we need more quality. A powerful midfielder and another attacking option would be great. we have some very good ingredients to go forward, now we need to keep the core together and then add to it.”

45. hmz says:

arsenal need more cutting edge up front. maybe its time wenger let podolski play as a striker.

@VCC.. talking about Bale and Suarez.. Can you imagine both of them play for the mighty club that We beat lastnight.. for Guardiola planning to bring them.
    But if We play like yesterday.. We will still beat them.. hehe.. Especially if We sign Isco and Strootman.. hahaha..

Isco played awsome lastnight.. one goal and one assist.. and make la liga look very strong.. three of them and none of us (PL)..
    But there the problem lay.. his price is incressing.. 35 mil will be not enough..
    Just wonder if We sign him together with Cazorla when Malaga needed the most of the money.. hehe..

I agree with you for Chelsea and Spurs tonight.. I agree with TA about them not getting any trophy.. but not so soon.. because We need them getting busy and split their concentration on PL.. hehehe..

47. SharkeysSuresGhost says:

Defensively very sound last night.

I feel we do have three very good CBs at the club but I always vote for Kozzer on those poll thingies as our best…as he just has everything, absolutely everything !!

I’m not sure why he doesn’t start every game for us.

Show me a more difficult headed goal from any league, in any season you like.

Agreed re Cazorla. Magical talent

I loved Ramsey last night, he really drove us on.

Henry, you see we cannot play with these things. Wishing an enemy team to do well, albeit for just one or two games in a cup competition, can come to cost us dearly.

Last season, many fellow Gooners wanted Chelsea to stay in the CL to knacker them out as much as possible….. Now, and I hate to say this, they are the first London team to have ‘collected’ the CL cup…. Don’t push too far your dreams, they are china in your hands… 😕

Hey Sharkster 🙂

Agreed on Koz, and it also helps that our FB’s were driven and confident last night.

How is life treating you – all ok with the kids?

50. Admir says:

Hello, all! 🙂

I agree with TA that Cazorla was good but I think he is capable of even better. His free-kicks have been usually wasted this season. Kudos to Wenger too – I was giving him a lot of criticism this season but this time he deserves a praise for making a tactical trap for Bayern. They were allowed to play the ball as much as they wanted but they weren’t given any free space to make clear-cut chances. Wenger probably had a plan for us to score a goal after every 30 minutes of the game (he was pretty nervous around 60th minute), to keep our goal until the last 20 minutes and then to throw fresh forces in the likes of Ox and Gervinho.

Anyway, it was overall great performance last night. That was defending I was asking for a long time. Our Champions’ League Final in 2006 came after consistent: “Leave the ball here and f… off, it’s our territory!”-kind of defending instead of: “Excuse me, sir, I was wondering if you might leave the ball here with us…if that’s OK with you!”-kind of defending that has been haunting us for years.

Jenkinson has been brilliant this season, with only a few exceptions, and arguably our by far best and most consistent defender.

Oh, one more thing: I usually hate to hide behind referees’ mistakes but I have to admit I was pissed off by the linesman last night. He stopped Walcott in 55th minute when he was going all alone towards Neuer due to non-existing offside. Same linesman denied Bayern two corners in the first half and one for us in the second so I guess his mistakes aren’t result of bias. It’s only lack of quality that Platini’s organization has stimulated for years.

Cheers Admir,

Some fine observations there. I was also unhappy with the referee not allowing more extra time and giving some free-kicks against us (although Arteta should have known better).

52. Bobby Sure says:

Hey TA, don’t you think last night called for ox as the CAM behind giroud ? I know its all well and good after the fact but that would have given bayern serious trouble. Also what do you make of jenkinsons remarkable improvement ? I’ve got to admit. I was seriously sceptical, when I saw him last season. Is there any other arsenal player under wenger that has improved so drastically. My first thought was song, I felt the same about him when he came from bastia. Jenkinson has to be one of wengers best signings in terms of uncovering a hidden gem. Whats more is that it looks as he may improve even more !

Hi Bobby,

Ox behind Giroud is music to the ears of Gerry, one of the regulars on BK. I think more and more of us agree that Giroud on his own is not working, and I feel if and when Cazorla plays close they are both more effective in terms of creating/scoring goals. But Cazorla can only play closer to Giroud if either Wilshere, Diaby or Ramsey can fill the gap behind him, which leaves us exposed in midfield/defence.

For me, Ox is more of an attacker than a midfielder, but I would love to see him having a run of games behind Giroud: it could work out well, especially if we switched to 4-4-2.

54. ian says:

Great review. Fabianski first choice keeper from now on. Outstanding, let that carry on. Keep that entire back 5. Sagna, vermaelen and monreal aren’t bad back up. Need consistancy. Fabianskis influence told. Giroud still lacks that killer instinct though. Rosicky and chamberlain should be getting a lot more playing time. Rosicky on form is better than ramsey. Plenty is needed but the current crop have something to build on now.

And yes Bobby, Jenkinson had a great game. For me he is the sort of player who gets better the longer he plays and I also feel he has a good mentor/partner in Mertesacker. But then I love Sagna as well, who should be offered a new contract asap.

Hi Ian, all agreed. It looks like Szczesny will get a prolonged break. I am not giving up on Ramsey yet: he might become this decade’s Ray Parlour for us. He has a great engine, but I reckon he lost a bit of touch/feeling in his leg after his leg-break and what a shame it is!

57. AFC says:

Hi TotalArsenal, did you get the email I sent?

Hi AFC, no I didn’t! Did you send it to: bergkampesque@gmail.com

59. AFC says:

Yeah I think I did. I will try to send it to you again tomorrow.

Ok AFC, I will email you as well, so you can reply to me directly tomorrow. 🙂

New Post New Post.

It is with great pleasure that I can announce a new writer for Bergkampesque: Umair Naeem.

62. Joseph says:

I can’t believe what I’ve read here. Ramsey is most definitely a work horse, but thats it. Hes a headless chicken. Someone should show these guys a video of the 2003 team.
    B. Munich didn’t turn up last night at all.
    Messi could of beaten that munich side on his own last night. PATHETIC bunch of overpaid average players. Was pissed off at Nasri and VanPersie before but they want to win things and ont aim for nothing more than a top 4 place

63. kane sliq says:

Good game from the boys no doubt, was a proud gooner last night, but we need consistency…I believe a fit rosicky and diaby culd cover up 4 Jack10….let the boys just put in such passion for the remaining 10 games , wins against winnable teams like swansea, Reading, Westbrom,Norwich, Everton, fulham before playing Man United….let’s keep up that spirit we used against Bayern and it’ll be hard 4 teams to beat us till d end of d season….wenger’s experiment is slowly coming together but we need a top 4 finish to be able to keep this squad 2geda and continue building….arshavin, gervinho, squilacci…and probably diaby culd be let go and replaced with top top quality like Cabaye and David Villa jst to mention a few. Arsenal should stay focus and I see us finishing above chelsea and spurs.