images (2)

Fringers Rosicky, Ramsey and Gerv prove to be invaluable

I was only able to watch the match highlights of our game against WBA, but have now read a few match reports as well. We have often debated on BK about the team lacking strength in depth but with key players missing or being ‘rested on the bench’, it is becoming clear our squad is stronger than many of us thought. No Diaby and no wilshere, but Ramsey and Rosicky have been filling their hiatuses more than adequately. No Podolski or Walcott, but Gervinho is both scoring and creating assists at an impressive rate at the moment; and Cazorla is proving to be super valuable – being able to play in various position with apparent ease and effectiveness.

Although our home win against Reading was to be expected, winning away against Bayern, Swansea and now West Brom with key players missing is not a mean feat at all. It is great to see our fringe players pulling their weight at the moment. Rosicky’s experience and never-say-die attitude is driving our team on, which must be a great relieve to the likes of Cazorla and Wilshere who just cannot do it in each and every game. From what I have read, Cazorla had a relatively quiet game, but Ramsey, Rosicky and Gervinho compensated for this with their drive and desire to win.

Ramsey missed a real sitter, but he just keeps going and does a lot of the dirty work for the team. And he also produced the assist for Rosicky’s second goal. Gervinho took the ball into the box on a number of occasions, and, at least at the moment, he has the composure and the skills to create real danger for us where we need to hurt our opponents most.

Gervinho, Rosicky and Ramsey are all not regarded as first-11 players this season, but they are proving to be invaluable for us at the moment, and long may it continue. Have they got enough, though, to make it into our first-11 team on a more permanent basis; and if not, will they be happy to stay at Arsenal for much longer?

Their performances underlined for me that we have plenty of strength in depth in the squad, and that we do not need a great number of new players this summer: a DM, another attacker, and an experienced GK as back up, and we are ready to rock next season (assuming that no key players will be sold this summer). Do fellow Gooners agree?

BFG’s mistake last chance for TV5?

I was disappointed in Per on Saturday: with leading the game 2-0 there was no need for him to take a big risk with a misjudged and clumsy challenge. A player of his experience should know the risk of making such a dangerous interception. Maybe he did not think he would get a red card, but the detrimental impact to our team of conceding a goal was a lot smaller than him being sent off with a straight red card and missing the next match; something he should have been aware of.

Our improved defensive performances in recent games are for a big part due to the leadership vacuum at the back having been filled through leaving (our captain) Vermaelen out and the BFG taking over control, instead. We all know that Mertesacker has some weaknesses, but he is good at reading the game and organising the back. I reckon, he will be missed in the next game, but at least it gives Vermaelen a chance to proof himself again.

As the Belgian is our captain, I reckon he will be responsible again for organising our defence and I am hoping he will come good again. Fingers crossed!

I am convinced that if Vermaelen’s performances in the remaining fixtures this season are not to the expected standard, he will become either a squad player or be sold in the summer. What do you reckon: will Vermaelen be able to fill the organisational void left behind as a result of the BFG’s suspension?

What would be the Ideal Spuds-Chavs result this weekend [please ignore reference to the game being played this weekend: it is a mistake]?

Let’s hope we will win our home game against Norwich. I don’t need to tell you that the single biggest risk we run regarding this game is the team underestimating our opponents. Norwich need the points and played really well at the Emirates last year, and with a nothing to lose attitude, they could cause an upset.

But let’s assume the boys are focussed and give their all and the three points will come our way; what would be the ideal result in the Spuds-Chavs game this weekend? This question is all about whether we think we can finish third or whether we believe fourth is the most realistic final position for us this season.

With only two points between us and the Chavs, I reckon we should aim for third, and therefore hope for, and this sounds truly horrible, so I will whisper it: a Spuds win. It would mean that we get ahead of the Chavs in the table  and with our game in hand – compared to the Spuds – we should be able to get ahead of them as  well. However, a Chavs win and Arsenal winning their games against Norwich and Everton, would create a healthy four points gap between us and the Spuddies…. This also sounds very attractive, as the Chavs could still be caught at a later stage…. What do you reckon, fellow Gooners?

Written by: TotalArsenal.

247 Responses to Rosicky, Ramsey and Gerv: invaluable ‘fringers’ – BFG’s mistake last chance for TV5 – Ideal TH-Che result?

1. Highbury Harmony says:

That Dortmund goal was super class!! Suck it Malaga :), we need more, we need more!!

2. glic says:

Great goal HH, at the moment I`ll settle for Gotze, Isco and Wellendowdski at Arsenal next season !.

3. Highbury Harmony says:

Great write up TA and I agree with most of your points :). However, Per is only suspended for one game since it was not a reckless challenge (from my understanding). The tackle itself was misguided and getting caught out of position was even worse imo. He also put us in danger earlier with one of his slow, telegraphed passes to Kos, which resulted in any unnecessary yellow from Kos just to save Per’s slow ass. A new CB may have to be added to your list, but we’ll see how we cope the rest of the season; I’m just not comfortable with the BFG.

I’m in the same boat as you that our depth players are finally starting to show up and perform, which is invaluable for us right now. However, we needed these types of performances earlier in the year. Perhaps if they had performed at this level, we may have won the COC or still be in the FA Cup or CL.

All three of Rosicky, Ramsey and Gervinho are clear cut squad players for me despite their recent performances, as each one do not have either the consistency or quality to be considered full-time starters (with Rosicky it has more to do with age). They should know their role within the team and realize they will still be a huge part of our success if we’re to challenge for silverware next year.

4. aj says:

The BFG will only miss one game, not three.

5. Cesc-Esque says:

Good Article. Btw Mertesacker is only suspended for one game and also the chelsea-spurs game is postponed due to chelsea being in the fa cup

6. Bond James says:

correct me if i’m wrong, but Mertasacker only misses one game and not 3 ?

and also most of you out there, instead of jumping on the Jovetic bandwagon you should really be on the Lewandowski one with me, he is that one player we desperately need – a younger version of rvp – only difference, much better as he is not injury prone as such

good read and agreed, TA

7. glic says:

Thanks Clogmeister !. 🙂

First let me put you straight, Chavs and Spuds are not playing this weekend !. So if we beat your inbred friends this weekend, we will be in CL 3rd spot !.
    If we are to compete next season with the hopefull addition of ” Super Quality “, then we must keep a strong squad of players who will fight for their places, as there will be plenty of games , injuries and suspensions. If the likes of the above are allowed to leave then we will be weak in depth whoever we bring in !. Now stop interupting me whilst I watch the second half of Gotze and Isco !.

8. Bond James says:

glic,

if we could get isco and lewandoski then we don’t need gotze :D: we have very own jack

in hindsight, per m, shouldn’t have made that tackle but it’s a blessing in disguise as he does get a one match rest, and this gives TV another chance in the team, he will be hurting and hungry, it’s only good for the team that he shines….in case of an injury or another suspension he will be match fit , when required.

9. AFC says:

Very good post TA. 🙂

I think Ramsey and Gervinho will stay even if they are only squad players. Saying that Ramsey has reallly got to improve his finishing. Maybe in training play him as a striker sometimes to force him to improve his finishing.

My article comes out tomorrow so I will save my points on the defense.

Cheers for the BFG suspension correction. That is good news then! 🙂

Also should have checked the Spuds-Chav game date – I worked with old info…. 😳

11. glic says:

Double O Seven, I would take any combination of that three !. 🙂
    Not sure about Hannibal Lecter at RB for Dortmund !. When did he get let out ?. hahaha

12. glic says:

Oops Hannibals at LB !.

13. Highbury Harmony says:

BJ, Lewandowski is definitely a good striker and a name that has floated around here for quite some time, but he’s not quite as good as RVP at creating for himself. He relies more on good delivery and has been getting it from Reus and Gotze this year and Kagawa last year. BD are my second favourite club and I watch plenty of their games and am still impressed with Lewa though. This was more evident in the Euros when he was expected to lead the line for Poland but faded considerably and was more or less a non-factor in the tournament without the delivery he received at BD.

However, like most other BvB fans, we all feel he is replaceable. With that said, Lewa is still a good to great finisher, is strong aerially, has good foot skills and above average pace for a striker.

14. AFC says:

Also regarding our buying, Isco, Jovetic, Gotze all cost too much because the teams they come from know they have potential. I feel we would be paying to much for players for the future when we need experienced players like Santi.

Dzeko is a good choice for striker, City could be looking to get rid of him and he wants first team football. Wages could be a problem though.

15. glic says:

Lecters just punched Jesus and Jesus gets the yellow !….Jesus Christ !.

16. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic, it was a dive so it’s understandable. La Liga is notorious for their pussies and their diving!

17. Highbury Harmony says:

and over embellishment 😉

18. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I would rather see us spend the money on Lars Bender of Leverkusen and Jovetic if we could get him around 20-25 mil. In either case, I’ll already be incredibly satisfied if we buy one top quality player like LBender and fill the rest of the holes with experienced, PL proven players (Cesar at GK, A.Williams or Amorebieta at CB and Remy at ST).

19. glic says:

What do you think of Gundogan ?. He keeps it ticking over ala Arteta but is only 22 and has plenty of stamina !.

20. Gonnerjoe says:

Because the BFG was sent of for being the last man offense it’s only a one game ban?

21. AFC says:

HH, please tell me if I am being stupid with this idea.

A cheap striker brought like Remy and a more expensive striker like Jovetic. That’s our 3 strikers sorted.

For DM a Capoue and then someone who is a cheaper option like Diame or Celtic’s beast.

A cheap experiened goalie on a free if possible and a cheap RB or defender from Bilbao on a free.

22. Gonnerjoe says:

I see my point has already been made

23. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, you are not stupid, but that would be too many purchases! We have to be cognizant that it’s difficult to integrate a ton of new players into a squad. We have a good base to build on and we should focus on improving our weaknesses (GK, DM and ST imo). A new CB signing would be more of a luxury at this point and I believe one will only be pursued if we sell one of Verm/Mert. DM is my #1 priority since there are good ST options available for less and we haven’t had too much trouble scoring goals this season (however, ideally I’d like a top class ST 🙂 ).

24. Highbury Harmony says:

Malaga’s GK is the only thing keeping them in this game. Gotze and Reus with outstanding scoring chances, both should have buried!

25. Highbury Harmony says:

He was WAY offside!

26. glic says:

Made in Isco !.

27. AFC says:

HH, I would like to see either Podolski or Theo turned to a striker next season. That way we have 3 strikers. Move Santi out to the wing. We now have 4 wingers. Rosicky and Wilshere can be our two AMs.

Now this is why I said we need two midfielders. Coq and Frimpong are not ready so for the two DM positions this leaves us with Ramsey and Arteta. So I was thinking one DM with one traditional/modern box to box midfielder so we have 4 options for DM.

I will talk to you about the defence tomorrow when my post comes out.

28. Highbury Harmony says:

That was the worst god damn non-call I’ve seen this year, considering the stage and magnitude of that goal

29. Highbury Harmony says:

Offside by a fucking mile, that linesman needs to get his eyes checked or be forever banned from working in a football match again.

30. Highbury Harmony says:

REUS!!!!!

31. Highbury Harmony says:

JUSTICE!!!!!

32. AFC says:

Ronaldo’s scored again. It is now 3-5 on agg.

Gala are out.

33. Highbury Harmony says:

What an unbelievable game, BD rightfully deserved to go on so I’m glad they will, by far the better team :).

34. glic says:

Lucky Bastardos !!!!

It`s amazing how so called footballing sides can resort to pumping the ball up in the air ala Wimbledon, when they think all is lost !. hahaha

35. glic says:

Great entertainment though !.

36. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic, Gotze it is :). He was outstanding today, what an influential presence on the pitch and really gave BD shape in attack. BD could have won that game by 3 or 4 if their finishing was just a little better.

37. glic says:

The reason I wanted Malaga to win is because they will be banned next season no matter what !. If Dortmund win the CL, It will be harder to prise Gotze away, it would be like a backward step for him , unless we can substancially increase his wages !.
    I thought he was immense tonight, he would truely be a ” Super Quality ” signing, if only !.

I think we should send our Dr Bob over to Dortmund with the chloroform !. hahaha

38. Highbury Harmony says:

Either way you look at it Glic, it’s good news for us. My favourite team left in CL goes on, Malaga out of the CL next year and did not progress to the Semi Finals/win the CL this year. Hopefully the stage is set for Isco to leave this summer! Albeit hopefully not to one of the filthy oil clubs…

39. glic says:

It was that Big Willy in goal that stopped a pasting !. hahaha

40. AFC says:

On a side not can anyone tell me what has happened to Podolski and Mertesacker.

There was a time when I was growing up that Mertesacker was right up there with the best defenders in the world meanwhile Podolski was also up there with the elite. Now at Arsenal they seem like average-good players.

41. glic says:

Now be honest HH, there`s no way that Jovetic is as good as Gotze !. No way !!!

42. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha Glic, obviously he’s not as good as Gotze. Gotze is top, top quality and one of the best in the world at his position imho. Jovetic has the ability to be top quality, and if his finishing were to improve, he certainly has the qualities to be one of the better strikers in the world.

43. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic @ 21:48 fair points mate. However, in the case of BD, I think they’ll be bounced next round anyway and with Lewa leaving and maybe Hummels, there could be a mass exodus. Also, consider the fact that a lot of players in the Bundesliga want new experiences and play on a bigger stage where they can increase their reputations for the National Team and there’s considerable reason to play abroad.

44. Milo says:

Holy shit, holy crap…holy moly, what a match that was!!! I wonder if the linesman has ever heard the rumour that their is a rule out there called the offside rule…still that is the type of spirit we need (Dortmund), and to a degree, I think we DO possess that!!! 😀

As someone asked earlier, I really like the look of Gundogan, and mentioned to my Dad that he is a younger, more energetic, version of our very own Mikel Arteta!!! 😀 The sad thing is, he’ll never come here unless we offer him astronomical wages.

HH, you were asking about Chucks Aneke in the last article posted…I haven’t seen ANY of his matches, while on loan at Crewe. He started off very well, by all accounts, but then, for some unknown reason, he was benched after the Christmas period, and hasn’t started until this past week. I definitely think there is potential there, but I think he needs to improve A LOT regarding the physical aspects of play. He doesn’t have stamina, and he seems to lack muscle as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes on loan once again, next season, but is loaned to a club in the Championship. Or he could test himself abroad, which might be even better. Either way, he needs to physically develop a lot and increase his stamina, and running output. If he doesn’t by the end of next season, I would expect him to not get a shot with the first team. This seems to be the consensus among the people who watched him regularly this season. I’m not going to argue with that, although I would mention that he DID have a good pre-season with the first team, this year. It would be a real shame to lose him because a player of his size AND skill, doesn’t come along everyday!!!

45. Highbury Harmony says:

Milo, thanks for the update mate :). Really appreciate the insight as I often do not follow the youth or players on-loan as closely, unless your name is Serge Gnabry hahaha. I think Aneke is definitely a player we have to hold onto and he may even join Real Betis next term! Have you seen the new collaborative agreement we’re apparently set to make with them? They would own the first loan rights to many of our young players if it all works out and could develop in La Liga!

46. Milo says:

I had heard we had an agreement with them, and I couldn’t be happier!!! 😀 We will give them some good young players, and in return, we might get a few of their gems??? 😉 You never know…

47. Fred says:

Hi, great post again people. As for the problem with TV, I feel we should give him a trial at DM, he seems to have the drive to go foward a lot, which at CB has left us exposed at times, so why not use this to our advantage and play him at DM, it couldn’t hurt right?

I totally agree that we are in need of a new striker, and recently (well after watching the champions league) I have come round to the idea that Burak Yilmaz would be a good signing for arsenal, he has a slightly better goal:game ratio than one every other game. Apparently he wants to leave Galatasaray so I assume would cost us around the 15m mark.

Anyway back to the game against norwich. What I propose our lineup should be is:
    ……………….Sczney………….
    Jenkinson…….Kosh…….Sanga…..Monreal
    ………………TV………….Ramsey………………….
    Santi…………Rosicky……………….Gervinho
    ……………………..Giroud

Anyone not knowing this site would think it is a Dortmund site! HH, you should start up a yellow and black BD site! 😛

49. AFC says:

Fred, I am taking it that you are a fan of Sagna at CB. If you are you will enjoy reading my post tomorrow as it is all about why Sagna can perfrom for us at CB. 🙂

Problem with Vermaelen going to DM is that we would be left light in defensive areas.

50. AFC says:

* perform

51. Fred says:

Great! I think Sanga is a really good versatile player, although he’s had a bit of an average-poor season by his high standards. I’m not sure if we would be as light in the defensive areas if TV was moved to DM, as we would have Sagna there who is just as experienced as TV is. Also when Norwich counter attack we could set up a defensive line with 5 defenders, shifting TV, and setting up in a 5-4-1 formation. Alternatively I also think that Kosh and Sagna could also fill in at DM if required so providing they comunicate well! They could rotate the role between them which should force the Norwich attack to constantly have to change their offensive stratergy, could be an interesting experiment.

HH at 20.44 all agreed, although I believe a good DM will help our CB’s to become better/more settled and therefore a new addition is not really required. Also want to see more of Miguel in the first team next season.

53. glic says:

It was I Milo, who had the same thoughts as you concerning Gundogan, very Arteta like !. Everytime he recieved the ball he played it then made space for himself to recieve it again. I also like his one touch play !. Trouble is, there`s atleast six Dortmund players I would have plus Isco !, but if I could have just one, it would be Gotze, he would turn us into contenders, I`m sure of it !.
    We hear of big money offers needed to get the likes of Cavani, Falcao @ £40-£50m, I say f**k them, put in a no f**king about offer of £40m for Gotze and get him !.
    If your reading/listening Wenger, I have two of your long padded puffer jackets here and they`re going to get the scissor treatment if you dont make an offer for Gotze !.

54. AFC says:

Fred, I said we would be left light in defensive areas because we would only have 1 RB and in my opinion we need 4 CBs.

I too had a similar idea. I was thinking of a 5-2-3 where the middle CB splitts his duties between a sweeper and a DM.

Cheers BJ,

I am not excited about Lewandowski but Jovetic is class imo. I would first like us to play Podolski up-front for a while to see whether he can be more effective than Giroud in terms of goals/assists. I also would like us to keep spreading the goals between various attackers, but just become a little more prolific against the top-teams next season.

Getting Lewandowski could mean we become one-dimensional again, which in the long run is not good for us.

56. Fred says:

True I can see your point, although Sagna could also cover at RB if Jenkinson was out injured, I was only thinking of that Stratergy for the short-term until BFG comes back, if it works well then maybe use it next season and base our defensive buys around that, maybe go for a raid on city and try and get richards, as he can do both RB and CB, and as he is an arsenal fan himself he may be tempted to join his childhood team. We also have Miquel coming through the youth ranks and hopefully by next season he will be ready to break into the first team.

In which case our defensive players would be:
    RB: Richards/Jenkinson/Sagna (in that order)
    CB: Kosh/BFG/Sagna/Miquel/TV/Richards
    LB: Monreal/Gibbs/TV
    DM: TV/Diaby/Ramsey/Arteta/Aneke (with the possibility of another new signing coming in)

57. glic says:

Podolski and Gotze partnership up front !.

58. AFC says:

Fred, I love Richards and he is my 1st choice defender for us to sign. 🙂

However there are two problems. His wages could be too high for us. Also we would have two England players fighting for the same place in our team. This could lead to Jenks leaving. But saying that signing Richard would be perfect. He can play CB, RB and even DM (I think) and he is English which would help us considering the minimum homegrown players rule (but I think this might not be a problem for us).

Richards would be happy to come. He really wants to get sopme playing time so he can get in the England squad which I feel he deserves.

59. AFC says:

Fred, Dzeko could also be an option. He has PL experience and is 3rd choice striker at City. He is not happy with his opportunities and City are looking to offload him. Wages could also be a problem though.

Nice stuff TA.

I like the way you highlight our squad strength. I believe you agree with me that the key is to keep our squad together.

Yes, the likes of isco, byjove, Goatse etc are good players, but for me in a couple of years Wilshere, Chamberlin etc will be an even better fit for arsenal than those guys

Thats not saying i would not take them, i would, But for me its not the key to our future success.

If this summer we buy no one, but keep all the players we want to, then i will be happy.

61. glic says:

AFC. I`d be very surprised if we got any Man City players due to their high wages, just the same as we could not move any of our “deadwood” eg Arshavin, Bendtner, Denilson etc` due to their high wages. City will probably have to do the same as us and wind their contracts down !. Would you leave City with so many years on your contract @ £150k per week to go to say Arsenal for £60k per week ?. They only got rid of Adebuyor by selling at a cheaper price but also still paying most of his wages ! , otherwise he would have just sat in the reserves at City and picked up his big fat cheque every week !.

Exactly Terry! 🙂

Or to put it differently but similarly: if we still had Cesc, Song and van J, it would be us in the semi-finals of the CL now. NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT. 😦

63. Fred says:

True, I am a fan of Dzeko, although I am a bit concerned he wouldn’t suit our playing style and could turn into an expensive flop. I personally think Jenkinson could learn a lot from having Richards and Sagna in the squad, especially if you consider the fact that Sagna only has 2-3 years left really (if he doesn’t leave this transfer window) in which case richards could be moved to CB in the absence of BFG or Kosh and put Jenkinson ar RB. In which case we could have 3/4 of Englands future back line with Gibbs at LB.

I think really we need 2 strikers, if QPR go down we could well go for Remy on a cheap deal, however, in addition to that I feel we need one of Jovetic/Dzeko or Yilmaz. However, with at least 2 of those players wages may be a stumbling block. Altough we will be getting rid of some of the “deadwood” this transfer window hopefully which would help to free up the wage bill.

64. glic says:

Evening Dr Bob !. hahaha

65. AFC says:

TMHT, I cannot agree with.

Our squad is good but we do not have enough depth in our sqaud to win trophies. Look at Man U (and I am only using them as an example because they will win the PL this season) they have 4 strikers and 5 CBs. Do you get my point. City have 3 and want a 4th. Chelsea have 2 and want a 3rd.

In my opinion we need two players who can play in each position. This means we need another CB or another RB if Sagna is converted. We definitely need another striker. We need another GK is Fab or Mannone leave. And we need a DM.

Cornwall, i recently sneaked in to North Mid hospital and performed an operation on some geezer with appendicites. unfortunitly i removed his gonads by mistake. He was devestated but didnt have the energy to attack hahaha

I explained to him that things wernt all that bad. I let him know that ive already spoken to his wife, who i quite fancied, and would look after her needs. hahaha

67. AFC says:

Fred, you are totally right about needing two strikers. 🙂

Man U have 4, City have 3 and want a 4th and Chelsea have 2 and want a 3rd. I was also saying we could buy a cheap striker like Remy and a more expensive striker.

To win trophies we need strength in depth!

AFC, we have 5 CB’s but Djourou is out on loan. We might not have as many forwards as the Mancs but there are plenty of goal scoring attackers….

69. glic says:

I dont agree you sad scrotum suckers !. hahaha
    When we did have Cesc, RVP, Hleb, Sick note etc` playing beautifull football, we just missed out because we didn`t quite have the strength in depth even then !. So taking it we will keep our young Brit-pact, we still need some more quality in depth incase of injuries etc`. So we need to keep what we`ve got and add more quality if we want to go all the way !.

I know we need players AFC. But after the last 3 seasons turmoil i will be content just to keep our players.

71. AFC says:

Glic, hopefully what happened to Adebayor will happen to Richards so we can get him.

Only thing is would they sell to one of their biggest rivals. I think not and if they did we would have to overpay to get any of their players.

Only we are stupid enough to sell to our biggest rivals. 😀

72. AFC says:

TA, Johan is as good as gone with Santos and Squillaci. In my opinion Miquel is not ready. I think wenger feels the same.

Just a couple Glic; the squad is big enough and the longer they play together the better they will become. When van J hit his peak, Cesc was already gone. Now Cesc is hitting his peak and he is doing it somewhere else. The key is keeping the team together and add a couple of quality players in the next two summers…

74. AFC says:

TMHT, I want to keep our squad together but I still think we need additions in the summer or as Harry of QPR would say it, “we need to get some bodies in”. 😀

75. Fred says:

AFC, I couldn’t agree more, strength in depth is the key to success (especially when we have many injury prone players). With the 70m Wenger has to spend I would hope we would have a busy transfer window. In the ideal world we would spend all of it, and in my eyes we could seriously challenge if we bought in the following players.
    Richards: 18m
    Lars Bender: 15m
    Remy: 6m
    Yilmaz: 16m
    Ceaser: 5m

Total cost: 60m.
    And by selling the dead wood we could reduce our net spend and reduce our wage bill for these signings. With a surplus 10m that could be put towards these players wages as well. However, I highly doubt this would happen, but I can still hope.

76. glic says:

Hahaha

Bounds Green Clinic

Dr Mancini. Head of Muff Transplants.
    Dr Glic. Head of Saliva Lubrication.
    Dr Total. Head of Woodcock Prothetics.

TA, i was just about to say that. cesc and RVP were not at there peaks.

If we aquire the ability to keep our squad together, and arsene adds the odd one or two of quality, we can win titles again

Its much easier to buy what you need when you have the basis. For the last few years that has been lacking. we are not Mancity or chelsea. In terms of squad development our template must be Utd

78. Milo says:

IF we are going to buy Cesar…he WILL not start for us..or should I say, he better not start for us!!! He has made a tonne of mistakes this season…Just as many as Szczesny has. It’s just that he’s somebody new, so everyone goes gaga over him. Then when he makes a fart, everyone wonders why we bought him!!! IF we buy him, I cannot see him starting over Szczesny OR Fabianski, if we can retain him.

AFC, who says Djourou is gone and Wenger did not use Miguel because he did not need to….

80. AFC says:

Fred, agreed.

If I was manager I would get rid of all the deadwood (including Fab and Mannone) and buy an experienced GK (hopefully on a free), a CB or if Sagna is converted a RB, a DM and a traditional/modern box to box midfielder and 2 strikers. Of course this is too many signings in reality.

So with that in mind I would sign a CB/RB, a DM and 2 strikers. The GK can wait to the season after .

hahaha, the best clinic in the world. Serviced by three struck off sex maniacs.

The reality for a club like Arsenal is to evaulate your squad and ask how many within that pool will improve and go up the gears, and at our club there are many.

Yes, we need strength in depth, and that will come partly through activity in the transfer market, but primaraly it will come from within.

82. Highbury Harmony says:

Milo, Cesar has saved QPR’s ass SO many times this year, I disagree that he’s made a ton of mistakes. In fact, most of the goals he concedes are absolute screamers or mistakes on the part of their defence!

83. AFC says:

TA, I think Wenger has lost patience with Johan making too many mistakes. He used to be good and I like him but now in defence he is a liabilty.

Miquel is not ready in my opinion. Do you think he is better than Phil Jones? I don’t and I would not even want Jones in our team.

84. Highbury Harmony says:

Fred, that is too many new signings for me! I love your enthusiasm though :). We must be cognizant that it’s tough from a chemistry standpoint, on and off the pitch, in transitioning new players into a side.

85. AFC says:

Cesar is quality. It is not his fault he is playing for one of the worst teams in the Prem.

86. glic says:

Yes , we are building a basis and we are now in the position to keep this core for the first time in years, but we cant just sit back and admire it, whilst the likes of Manu, City and Chavs still add with quality and take a step further ahead than us.
    Manu will add in Summer, so will City and Chavs, we need to keep pace and do the same.
    We have quality and potential quality, but we need more quality to bind the quality and potential quality together enabling a seamless transition for now and the future !.
    As Head of Saliva Lubrication, I know whats it`s like to dribble at the thought of ” Super Quality ” !. hahaha

87. Highbury Harmony says:

TA @ 22:30, basically agreed and this is how I envisioned us to be set-up next year:

GK: New signing* (Cesar, Begovic etc.) and Szczesny
    LB: Monreal and Gibbs
    CB: Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen and Miquel~
    RB: Sagna and Jenkinson
    DM: New signing* (L.Bender, Capoue, Wanyama etc.), Arteta, Ramsey, Coquelin, Diaby
    AM: Wilshere and Rosicky
    LW: Cazorla, Podolski and Gervinho
    RW: Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gervinho
    ST: New signing* (Jovetic, Remy etc.), Giroud, Podolski and Walcott

* denotes new signing
    ~ denotes promoted player

If Rosicky is sold, which I don’t think he will, then Cazorla moves to the AM role in case Jack gets injured or if he needs a rest. Ox can also move to the AM role as the back-up. Gnabry then gets promoted to fill a vacancy on the wing.

AFC, I would not mind another CB, but it is not a priority for me. Miguel is class and will get a chance sooner or later, I reckon. We have to agree to disgree on Johan: he makes a good squad member in my view.

89. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, Djourou makes an unhappy one at that ;). He has told the media that he will do anything to prolong his stay at Hannover and does not wish to return to Arsenal.

We just won four games in a row, three away without Jack, Theo, the Pod, Vermaelen, Ox and Szczesny playing much or at all…. that is strength in depth, if you ask me. Add two players and a oldie GK and Bob is your uncle. 🙂

HH, that is very feasable and realsitic. I would be delighted with something on those lines.

Cornwall wont be happy not seeing Isco though. hahaha

Got to go.Its late and it takes me 45 minutes minutes to blow up inflatable berta. hahaha

Night All

92. AFC says:

TA, I love Johan but everytime I watched him in the last couple of years he always made mistakes. I used to stick up for him when one of my friends said “he cannot bear to see Djourou on the pitch” he also said he pisses him off as everytime he pays to watch Arsenal and Johan is in the squad he makes a mistakes. But now I have to agree.

GLIC, Pool, Chavs and City have bought huge numbers of players over the last few years and are no better than us…. Keep what we have and add a bit of quality is the best way forward imo.

HH, I would love that and I bet it will happen this summer. Wanyama or Capoue + Jovetic + veteran GK and a couple of youngsters promoted.Transfer business completed early and the whole summer of Wenger and Bould working with the team. Heaven!

HH, if that is true he can sod off and I won’t have a Hannover over it. 🙂

AFC, JD was a bad FB but a decent CB, especially next to Koz. I am not too bothered though as we have a certain FB who can also play as CB! 😉

97. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, I am salivating at the prospect of promoting Gnabry next year. The kid is an absolute joy to watch and his little cameo against Norwich was entertaining too! Miquel has struggled at times with the Reserves, though I believe it may be that he needs better competition and training to get the best out of him. There’s a reason why Barca was trying to buy him back last summer!

If we can somehow pry Lars Bender off of Leverkusen, we have the ideal DM for Wengerball. He’s got great pace, is good at reading plays and breaking them up, a very solid tackler, is disciplined and mentally focused defensively, fluid in attack, has great ball control, can score and assist goals like Song did, as his range of passing is impressive and he can run up and down the pitch for the duration of 90 mins without tiring much.

98. glic says:

Thats what I have been saying Totes, in regards to keeping what we`ve got and adding 2-3 quality players, but I mean proper quality ie atleast a Gotze or Isco type signing plus a DM beast to keep you happy !.
    City and Chavs are no better than us !. Wheres our trophy`s then ?. They are better than us, because of the money, nothing else, but hopefully times are about to change, but we are going to have to speculate to accumalate, otherwise the cabinet will still be bare imo !.

99. AFC says:

TA, one more point on Johan.

The same friend I was telling you about, has a gold membership and goes to an Arsenal match every fortnight. He said when Djourou plays CB he makes far to many mistakes and he said what males it worse is that it is his mistakes that lead to us directly conceding goals. He said he is even worse as a RB.

100. AFC says:

TA, if we sign any defender it should be a RB with Sagna moving to CB. 🙂

Bender it like Beckham sounds good HH, but I am sold on Wanyama at the moment. 🙂

BTW, best moment of the day belongs to Eboue today. He scored a pretty impressive goals for Gala today, but what made me really laugh was him running into the goal and picking up the ball and looking like it was the most common thing in the world for him to score (let alone such a cracker!) hahaha 🙂

102. glic says:

Right I`m off to dream of Gotze….sorry Isco…..but I`m a dirty slag !. hahaha

Night girlz !.

103. AFC says:

TA, imagine we still had Eboue. He could have been our RB when Sagna’s moves to CB and even could have been the DM which we so desperately need. 🙂

104. AFC says:

TA, imagine we still had Eboue. He could have been our RB when Sagna moves to CB and even could have been the DM which we so desperately need. 🙂

GLIC, Chavs, Oilers and us are all trailing behind the Mancs. Chavs and Oilers did not make it into next round of CL…. I don’t think they are ahead of us right now.

AFC, what about Belerin?

Sweet Jovetics, Glic 😛

AFC, I rate him as a human and an athlete – nobody runs more beautifully than Eboue in full flow – but he was error-prone when he played for us.

109. AFC says:

I have heard that Bellerin is one of our greatest young players. Someone on this site said can do everthing. I would be happy to see him at RB as a deputy to Jenks although I think Jenks still needs to learn.

110. AFC says:

TA, agreed.

That is what I was trying to say about Johan, he is a good CB but he is also too error- prone.

RB and FB – Jenkinson, Bellerin, Sagna, TV, BFG, Koz, Miguel: seven players for three positions – sounds about right to me, no?

112. AFC says:

Yes TA that is, but only if Miquel and Bellerin are ready to come into the first team.

AFC, are you ok if we do your ‘striker’ post first tomorrow?

114. AFC says:

Sure, TA. 🙂

AFC, I saw Miguel in Norwich for the Reserves and I thought he was brilliant. He is the complete CB and I hope he will get a chance to shine in our team soon. I would like to see him play next to BFG a few games.

116. AFC says:

TA, You are right Miquel, definitely deserves a chance. I would be happy if he was our 5th CB.

The Sagna post is also good but it might be best to wait a few days as we have been talkiing a lot about CB’s tonight. 🙂

118. Milo says:

AFC, isn’t Miquel already our 5th choice centre-back??? 😀 I think he will be looking to play a lot more next season…I think a Premier League, or even Championship loan could be in the offing??? 😀

119. AFC says:

TA, you are right there.

Sagna post will come out on Friday then?

Gerry 🙂

If you are still reading, hope all works out for you this Spring/Summer and, if you can, please try to visit us at least once a week! 🙂

Thanks for all your fine and often thought-provoking contributions in recent months – you will be missed!

AFC, it is up to you. I need to do a pre-match on Friday. We could issue your post in the morning and the prematch in the (late) evening, or move the post to next week. Whatever you prefer.

122. Fred says:

Alright, my ideal 25 man squad for next season if we spend the 70m:
    GK: Cesar, Sczney,
    RB: Richards, Jenkinson
    CB: Kosh, BFG, Sagna, Miquel
    LB: Gibbs, Monreal
    DM: Bender, Ramsey, Diaby, Arteta, TV
    RW: Walcott, Chambo, Santi
    LW:Gervinho, Podolski (gibbs also filling in here)
    AM: Wilshere, Rosicky
    CF: Giroud, Remy, Yilmaz

First team attacking line up:

…………………………….Cesar
    Richards……BFG…….Kosh/Sagna
    ………………………….TV………Bender
    Santi…………………Wilshere……………………..Gibbs/Podolski
    ………………..Giroud………………..Yilmaz

First team Defensive Line up:
    ………………………………………Cesar
    ………………………TV/Sagna…………BFG……….Kosh/Sagna
    Richards………………………………………………………………………………..Monreal
    …………………………….Bender………………..Wilshere
    Santi…………………………………………………………………………….Gibbs
    ………………………………Giroud/Yilmaz

With the signings I have been banging on about you have two different lineups that can both be used to great effect. These are just the base positions, if you allow wilshere the freedom to roam the pitch and have Bender has a purely holding mid in the defensive set-up I have listed then it could be a good line up, especially if you consider that Gibbs would track back as he is also a natural Left Back aswell as a winger. In addition to the fact that Gibbs and Monreal could inter-change positions relatively easy as both are good at crossing and are both pretty good left backs.

123. AFC says:

Milo, you are right. He probably will be in a higher position as Santos, Squillaci and Johan all look set to leave.

You could be onto someting there. Put Bellerin, Miquel and some fo the other most promising Next Gen players on a short loan in the PL if possible. Then they would have PL experience under their belt and be able to play for us in the second half of the season.

124. AFC says:

Monday, next week for the Sagna post, TA?

That is fine with me, AFC 🙂

HH

Fine come back by BD and I can understand your excitement. Looks like a Spanish-German CL semi-final, unless something funny happens in Turin or Barcelona…

127. AFC says:

Fred, I would keep Verm at CB, move Wilshere further back and maybe put the Ox as an AM.

128. AFC says:

Fred, just so you know my Sagna post will now be released next week Monday but I have another post coming out tomorrow to do with the topic of strikers. 🙂

129. Highbury Harmony says:

Fred, that must be Sven Bender you are referring to then :). Lars would be wasted as a strict holding midfielder, he is far too gifted to not be joining in attack and contributing defensively as well.

Good comments today, Fred. I don’t really want us to sign so many players in one go, but I can see where you are coming from. 🙂

Really time to warm Mrs TA up.

Catch you all tomorrow. 🙂

131. AFC says:

See you tomorrow, TA. 🙂

132. Fred says:

HH-I honestly think Lars is the better of the two, but there’s not much in it. I would only have him holding the defensive set up I have mentioned, in the more attacking one with TV alongside him he would be the more attacking of the two. He’s good enough to fulfil both roles and even in the defensive formation I mentioned he and Wilshere could interchange between the two roles, the key thing to be would always have one of them back incase of a swift counter attack.

AFC-Yeah I can see your point on that, we have very versatile players, and with a set up like that we could really exploit that, with players inter-changing positions. As well as Bender and Wilshere interchanging between who will be holding and who would be attacking, which could prove to be devestating for the oppositions defence.

TA-I see where you are coming from with not wanting too many transfers in one go, as it could be bad for the team to have too drastic a change. Although Wenger has shown last season he is willing to make changes, with bringing in 4 players over the two transfer windows and placed them all in the first team. What I am proposing is to do a SAF tactic and just get everyone you will need in during the summer (this is only 1 more than the total amount last season – one of whom would mainly be a squad player) to ensure stability throughout the season.

133. Highbury Harmony says:

Fred, of course I rate Lars higher, but in your set-up you said you wanted a strict holding midfielder, which Lars is not. He’s a box-to-box player who’s talents would be wasted as a strict holding midfielder. We should never play in a “defensive” set-up either as that’s just not our style and promotes boring football.

134. Highbury Harmony says:

Fred, just re-read your post. Still don’t like the idea of a “defensive” set-up and forcing Lars to play as a strict DM, but other than that, no complaints. I am really high on Lars and hope Arsene can work some magic and get him over here.

135. Milo says:

I wonder why it takes experience to play the deep-lying play maker role that Arteta plays…I can only think of a few exceptions to this rule…players like Xabi Alonso, and maybe Pirlo, as well as Gundogan, who I really like. In fact players of his ilk and age are rare enough, that I would absolutely love to have him in our side!!! I don’t think this will occur, but it wouldn’t hurt to find another player like Arteta, who is younger…ALTHOUGH, I think we MIGHT have one in our youth system. Kristoffer Olsson came to the club as an attacking midfield player, from his club in Sweden, and is now being played in a deeper position. He has a great range of passing, and can dribble as well. He is already technically superior to most of the players at our club, and he’s only 17 or 18. IF he can improve physically, which should happen naturally, he could fill that void, in the future, in the first team. I think a player of Arteta’s quality is never a bad thing to have. He offers something different to the other central midfield players, as he has a head as cool as a cucumber!!! 😀 Jack has this as well, but I think he’ll be a more forward thinking player than Arteta is now. I can’t wait to see how Olsson develops.

Even FURTHER down the line, is a young man named Gedion Zelalem, who is said to be “the next Fabregas”. I always liked what I saw of Fabregas in a deeper-lying playmaking role, and if Gedion can get to that level, he might also be an able deputy or replacement for Arteta 😀 One can only hope!!! 😀

136. Highbury Harmony says:

Milo, to answer your question, the deep-lying playmaker role requires extreme patience and to let the play open up to you, while also owning the savvy to be able to play any type of ball that usually comes with experience. The majority of young players feel the need to make a substantial impact on the game and want to score goals, join the attack, dribble past players or let their emotions get the better of them. It’s incredibly tough for young, mostly immature players (whether it be behaviourally or in terms of development) to adapt to a more stationary role. Also, it doesn’t help that players aren’t traditionally groomed to become “deep lying playmakers”.

However, Marco Verratti plays this role exceptionally well for PSG when he starts and he has been rightfully touted as the “next Pirlo”.

137. indiangunner says:

Nice post and talks guys….had a question to ask..cant we give a chance to poldi @ ST?when giroud has an offday?he has got a thunderous shot and a great turn of pace….about signings we need a proper cdm who can fill in as emergency cover at CB( jeremy toulalan,anyone?)and an top class striker(jovetic,lewndowski ) we need to have atleast 4cbs…keep djorou and disposw of squillaci

Good Morning all.

Great chat from the night shift.

139. Red Arse says:

Morning All, 🙂

140. Red Arse says:

Great Post, TA, 🙂

But you will get away with nothing when the eagle eyed get on the case!! 😀

re-posting..

Hi all..
    Goetze is out of our reach.. as I predicted BD may win the cup.. His price will growing up extremely.. and 50 mil soon will be not enough..
    Isco is also briliant.. but will wenger run for him for 35mil..?? I doubt it.. hehe..

I recommend another youngster in others club.. Julian Draxler.. from Schalke.. or Marco van Ginkel from Vitesse.. They both doing their job well.. a very good AM..
    And as I often said.. Arsenal need some Dutchman.. haha..
    Strootman still my best option for a DM..

For Striker.. I choose Wilfreid Bony.. from Vitesse.. again.. You guy must look closely for him.. If We don’t get him now.. then he will be our most danger enemy.. cause Chelsea will.. to replace Drogba..
    But with Gervinho in our club.. Bony maybe will choose us.. just maybe.. hehe..
    @Fred.. Yilmar is a good striker.. I recommend him last summer.. but now
    You must see Bony first.. hehe.. with the same price at 15 mil.. I will certainly choose Bony..

Sagna will leave.. PSG is calling.. and they want to pay the price..
    Guardiola is a very big fan of us.. hehehe.. He always chasing our guys.. an now Koscielny is on his demand.. Hope it won’t happen.. cause he is our best CB rightnow..
    And I also have a doubt for Verm will not be sell.. I don’t know.. my felling say so..
    So our defenders are in trouble.. hehe.. We must buy some also..
    GK is also our main problem.. So get one best GK will be advantage..

And for me buying 5 and promote 5 will not be too much.. cause We will offload 10 also..

142. Fred says:

HH-I see your point as a defensive set up could get boring, but in the important games where we just need to get the three points we need to do what is neccessary. If this means bringing on a sub ot two to switch to a more defensive set up for the final few minutes then surely it is worth it to ensure we get the points in the bag? In which case Lars would only be purely defensive for the last few minutes, whilst in the rest of the game we could start off with the attacking line up where Lars is the more attacking of the defensive midfielders, more of a B2B player as you mentioned with TV being the more holding of the two. I see I didn’t quite make that clear in the original post. But even with the defensive set up it would still be possible for both Wilshere and Bender to join the attack as there would be 5 defenders covering them, although I feel it would be better to have one of them back to help incase of a swift counter attack. Whilst in general I do not like defensive set-ups there have been times where we could have hugely benefitted from just shutting up shop and shifting to a more defensive line-up and just ensuring that we got the three points on the board instead of risking only getting 1 or in some cases 0.

Hello and good morning fellow G’s! 😛

Some more fine comments last night, and welcome to Indiangunner.

Redders 🙂

I know, I made a mess of that post really! 😳
    Should have checked the ‘latest facts’ before issueing it…

Fred 🙂

I will publish a post tomorrow about the issue of needing to buy five top players, so please bare with me

indianG 🙂

Yes, many of us here would like The Pod to start centrally and give him a run of games there.

Redders 🙂 fine post on Arsenal Arsenal

BK’ers you should a look at RA’s post on AA:

Clever and funny, but that is no surprise! 😛

145. glic says:

Morning Rugmunchesquers 😆

I want to know when are we going to have a post which enrages the Swampdwelling Spuds and they come on here crying ?. I look forward to such a post so that me and a few fellow naughty BKers can sharpen our tongues and abuse them in my own unique mischevious way !. hahaha
    Probably left `till the end of the season with hope we get CL and they dont !. Make it so Darth Wenger, I`m itching to get at the Splooge Swallowers !. hahaha

146. glic says:

Yes , fine post Redders !. 🙂

I did answer participate under a pseudonym and probably wont be a surprise as to which one !. hahaha

147. JM says:

Bayern Munich turned to Javi Martinez (He costed a record £35miilion from Bayern) because Bayer Leverkusen refused to sell Lars Bender to them. Leverkusen are not hard pressed for money and are line in for champions league action next season.
    Lars Bender – minimum starting bid at least £30miilion.

The real ambition for us would be to bring BOTH Lars and Sven Bender to our club next season. The reunion of the Bender twins at Arsenal FC..

Play Lars Bender at RB/RWB (he played the position with Germany during EURO2012, even scoring a goal against Denmark while bursting all the way from his own penalty area in defence to attack Denmark’s penalty area)

Play Sven Bender at DM/CM.

That way, we could even play the (4)-(1)-(2)-(3) with Sven at the (1) and any of Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky, Ramsey, Cazorla, The Ox in front at the (2). Lars and Monreal/Gibbs at fullbacks/wingbacks with any 2 CBs.

Which would mean the additional departures with Sagna and Coquelin definitely.

148. JM says:

Martin Angha signed a pre-contract agreement with FC Nuremburg, joining them permanently from next season onwards.

Expect a flurry of activities in the coming months b/w Arsenal FC and the Bundesliga teams. (as well as La Liga teams).

149. glic says:

JM

Will we be the first club having players come out of the closet if we have two Benders at the club ?.

150. alexgunners says:

Great post, Firstly what most of us have been saying for a while now is that our so called fringe players do not play enough to make an impact when called upon. Look at Rambo, Gerv and Rosicky. They will never perform at a top level every game but they do have what it takes. The problem is that when we have brought on these players in the past, they have underperformed due to a lack of confidence which is caused due to lack of playing time. We need to rotate more often and also introduce youngsters like Gnabry and some of the up and comers.

In relation to Per, in my opinion the concern there was not the challenge itself but once again being caught somewhat flat footed and allowing the West Brom player in. Per is generally well positioned and he needs to be as he does not possess the speed needed.
    TV will need to come in and perform to the level that is needed and slot right in. His confidence has definitely suffered but he is our captain and if he cant step up to the challenge then questions will need to be asked of him.

As for the best result between the spuds and chel$ki. This is a tough one as the only fair result is that neither team rocks up and gets no points at all. Neither of them deserve the points. Since this is just a dream and it will not happen this is what i would like to happen. Let the team with no history win over the team that last won the championship in black and white. I would rather see the spuds behind us sooner rather than later. This maybe will shut them up and make them realize that the gap is still there. A couple of competitive seasons does not make them a great team. I really hate them as you can tell

151. glic says:

alex. I sometimes wonder whether I hate the Spuds more than I love Arsenal !. It`s like a Chicken / Egg situation, what came first ?. hahaha

152. Red Arse says:

Hi TA,

Thanx for the mention of my off beat Post on AA — I had forgotten all about it, and just wanted to do something different. How many did you score? 😀

153. Red Arse says:

Glic, in answer to your question, neither the chicken nor the egg came first — it was that selfish bastard cockerel who only thinks of his own pleasure and comes when he wants — just ask Terry!! 😀

154. alexgunners says:

GLIC,

That’s a very tough question. I LOVE the Arsenal but my hatred for the spuds is pretty damn big as well. Damn spuds

155. glic says:

alex

Logically, there is only two thing`s that will push you over the edge to hating the spuds more than loving the Arsenal and that`s them winning the EPL or CL……………but that is never going to happen !. So feel free to just love Arsenal and just ridicule the Spuds !. hahaha

Even Redders is calling them ” Bastard Cockerel`s ” !. 🙂

💡 A great name for a site………………….FOYS !. hahaha

156. alexgunners says:

Glic,

The love for the Gunners will always be there and the ridicule shall and must continue for the ‘Bastard Cockerels’
    When are you starting the site?

My main hate is ManUre.

158. AFC says:

TA, I was thinking of writing a post on the main two different approaches fans think AW take in the summer TW. The first being change is needed but not too much and I will explain why people like yourself think this and the second approach being that a lot of change is needed and explain why people like Fred amd myself fell this way. Then ask the other people on Bergkampesque which view they sway towards.

That is if no one else is doing this post first? 🙂

159. alexgunners says:

VCC,

To me they are right up there as well. I don’t know if it is so much ManUre or whether it is Ferguson

160. AFC says:

RA, just followed the link TA put up for article and it was a very interesting article. 🙂

I scored 46.

Alex…I hate Ferguson as well, but I hated MAnUre before he arrived.

I take my hat off to Ferguson, he is the most successful Premiership Manager, but what a horrible human being.

I like nice people like you and me… 😉

162. alexgunners says:

VCC,

Great answer.

To All,
    It’s now time to get some rest. Good night to All, or G’day to most of you

163. Red Arse says:

Well done AFC, I have started to categorise my own view of people too, so your score is interesting.

Where are 3P, HH, Milo and everyone else — move your bums — pop over to Arsenal Arsenal for a few minutes and take the fun isometric test! Or Glic gets it!!

164. AFC says:

RA, there was one or two questions were I could not come to a clear answer.

What was your view of me?

165. AFC says:

* where

166. Red Arse says:

AFC,

There are a couple of categories I think you would slot into very well.

The test has asked you for info, and has given its answer to your 46 point score, but [and I only know you thru’ the blogs] so I see you as sensible, clever, and you are always modest.

On AA at 2:36, I would put you in with, among others, GIE (a qualified accountant), Peaches (one of that blog’s bosses, and GN5 a life long Gooner, now retired, who has managed a number of top companies, and of course VCC who you know! Good company to be in!! 🙂

Of course, there is no top or bottom category, they are just indicative of each person’s major attributes.

167. AFC says:

RA, it is good to feel appreciated. 🙂

168. glic says:

AFC

Looks like Arsene is out scouting already, could be some weird trannyfers coming in !. hahaha

169. glic says:

Oops forgot the link !. The Summer Trannyfer window is getting closer !.

170. glic says:

This article with someone who is very close to Arsene having his opinion only confirms to me that we will be very busy in the Summer !.

171. AFC says:

Glic, I want Wenger to go out and buy everyone he needs even if that may be 5 players. 🙂

AFC…I don’t want five players. One big money top quality player will do, but if there is enough for two well do it. JFDI 😉

173. glic says:

AFC

What would be even better is if he went out and bought the 5 players us supporters want, like……..Gotze, Isco, …….because I like you, I`ll let you pick the other three and I`ll read them off to Arsene in person later…….as he is in my cellar sedated at the moment !. hahahaha

174. AFC says:

VCC, I see where you are coming from but I do not agree.

If I had the choice of Falcao oor 3/4 players I would take the 3/4 players anyday. We have quality but we lack the strength in depth. You could say some of the youngsters could be promoted but personally I do not think they will be at the level we need. How can you asl guys like Bellerin to perform when they are at such a young age and have no PL or very little PL experience. Suppose you have this 1 top player and he gets injured out is out for the rest of the season or for a very long time we are back to square one.

175. glic says:

Hey Vicky baby, I see on newsnow that upto 90,000 Pigeons will be vaccinated against bird-flu in China following the death of nine people !.
    In local news, 9 Pigeons have been vaccinated against genital disease in Bounds Green after a couple of Pigeons picked up Chlamydia pecking on an Accountants fatballs and telescope !.

176. AFC says:

Glic do you know how much money those players would all come up to. Too much. I just want 4-5 players of Santi’s quality to come.

177. AFC says:

Sorry meant to say, a striker and DM or Santi’s price and quality, an experienced GK on a free and maybe a CB/RB.

178. glic says:

It`s no problem AFC……I have hold of Arsene`s limp hand and he`s writing the cheque now !. hahaha

179. glic says:

It was also quite lucky that I sent TERRY MANCINI HAIR TRANSPLANT out to Dortmund yesterday with both Gotze and Isco playing in the game and fortunate that both were together signing TMHT`s autograph book and even more fortunate that both are small in stature and fitted into the back of his Ford Escort boot after being Chloroformed !.
    They too will be signing a contract in my cellar later !. hahaha

180. Highbury Harmony says:

Fred, now I understand what you meant by using a “defensive” set-up. If it’s only to defend our lead late in games, then I’m all for it, especially tight ones where we’re only up a goal. Initially, I thought you meant that we would employ a defensive set-up from the outset against some teams, so as to neutralize their attacking threats, which is a strategy that I would not be pleased with.

181. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, that rating system was bullocks. Don’t ever let me go to AA again hahaha!

182. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, have you gone mad my friend? 4-5 players of Santi’s quality/ caliber would be 5 world-class or near world-class talents!

183. Red Arse says:

I am in the camp of those who would rather have one or possibly two, shit hot, top, top quality players, rather than have 4 or 5 so-so players.

We have a lot of good kids coming through from the U21s, and they need a mentor, or two, to add to the squad and then we will be motoring!! 😀

184. AFC says:

HH, that was a mistake, this is my follow up comment.

185. Red Arse says:

Glic,

I have just been talking to your mirror image on AA, and I am getting confused!! 🙂

186. glic says:

Exactly double aitch. So that would be…..Mata, Silva, Hazard, Oscar and Navas !……..I`ll just get in touch with TMHT and see if he can fit anymore in the boot of his Escort……bollox, just realised that the Chavvy ponces have 3 of those players…..Bastardos !.

187. AFC says:

* of

RA, what would then happen if this one of these two players or both get a serious injury?

Would we not be back to sqaure one?

188. Highbury Harmony says:

I see AFC, now I understand. I think we both agree that Cesar is our first choice as keeper, which I can definitely see happening since AW wanted him last summer, but he chose playing time over prestige. Now that he’s proven himself as a capable GK in the PL, he could actually be viewed as a starter here.

Is Capoue your top choice for DM? Who’s your top choice for ST and CB?

189. Highbury Harmony says:

I’m weary of having to play against Chel$ea now. They have a manager actually capable of getting results from them and he’ll set their team up in a strategic defensive shell against us, only producing scoring opportunities on the counter…

190. Highbury Harmony says:

So, basically what they’ve always done with better players hahaha!

191. glic says:

Double Bollox, if true, Maureen is going to want to spend some wonga !. It will be an interesting time , bearing in mind the emergence of UEFA and EPL FFP , how he/they get around such a problem without making any wonga as a club. !

192. Highbury Harmony says:

It will definitely be an obstacle for them to overcome Glic, as getting rid of Torres and his exorbitantly high wages will be no easy feat. Maureen has likely gotten a very good idea of which Spanish players to bring over with him to the EPL now (whether they be from RM or in the La Liga in general).

193. glic says:

Having Mata, Hazard, Oscar, doesn`t scream out to me as a defensive minded counter attacking team, he will have to play footie for once !.

194. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic, he got Ronaldo, Ozil and Di Maria to play in a boring defensive set-up that thrived on counter attacks, so I’m sure he could get any other player to do the same. RM fans constantly whistled at his ugly tactics though, but Chavs fans are not intelligently enough to know the difference and only want to see their club win!

195. Highbury Harmony says:

intelligent*

196. glic says:

HH

As much as Abramobitch changed the game here with Maureen at the helm, it is also fair to say that the goal posts have changed dramatically since he left and will return to a more competative challenge than when he first arrived, it wont be so easy for him this time around and he will be lucky to last a year if it goes pear shaped !.

197. AFC says:

HH, for the defence I would like to see Sagna converted to CB and a new quicker and more energertic RB brought like Richards. Richards would also be able to cover CB that is if we could get him with suitable wages. Other Rbs could be Caceres or Abate.

If Wenger chooses to keep Sagna at RB then my first choice CB was Dede but RA has told me that he has signed a pre-contract agreement with Milan.

Amorebieta also does not seem much different from the CBs we already have in Mertesacker, Koscielny and Vermaelen. His size, physical and technical attributes seem very similar to our other CBs. If he did come to Arsenal I do not see him offering anything different to our defence, which we do not already have and improving our overall ability as a team to defend.

For DM I think Capoue is our safest option and I think Wenger went for him in January but did not get and I think Wenger will try to get him again in the summer. The only question is, is he a beast? What I am trying to say is would he beable to hold on his own in a 4-1-2-3 formation. Would you rather have a Coq type DM or a frimpong type DM?

For striker I am not really sure. Jovetic and other seem like good options but they are not experienced, not the finished article and have no PL experience.

I want us to sign Cesar or an experienced old pro on a free and maybe if there is money left over from after we have brough these four players, a extremely cheap but quality box to box midfielder or another extremely cheap but quality striker.

198. Red Arse says:

AFC,

It is a valid point to wonder what we would do if one or two quality players were bought and immediately were injured.

However, although we have had more than our share of bad injuries, it would be remarkable, though not impossible, if that should happen.

Even chocolate legs van Persie has not had any injuries at Manure, and he has probably been the main reason why they are going to win the EPL.

For me, the risks of injury are always present in professional sport, but you need to press on and worry about it, if and when it happens.

199. glic says:

Not that he will be bovered with the payout he will recieve !.

200. Red Arse says:

AFC,

It is right to be cautious with stories about players who might be moving or have already agreed deals with other clubs, but I read recently, that Amorebieta had already agreed to join Juventus.

So that is Dede, and Amorebieta out of the equation, but apparently from what I hear, N’Koulou a full back at Marseille wants to move to the EPL in the summer. Maybe he could replace Sagna, if he wants to leave.

201. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I wanted to mention this to you before but kept forgetting. I’m not a fan of bringing in Richards, considering we have a very capable RB in Jenkinson. He has really, really impressed me this season and I think if we were to buy another young RB, it would spell the end of the line for him, which makes no sense at all since he’s a confessed Gooner and plays his heart out for this club. If we’re purchasing a RB to replace Sagna, it only makes sense to sign an experienced back-up and let Jenkinson take the majority of starting minutes. Alternatively, we could just promote Yennaris and have him cover for Jenks at RB when needed.

Amorebieta has better technical skills, aerial ability and assertiveness in his tackling than any of our defenders. He organizes the line at Bilbao exceptionally well (this season aside since they are dealing with plenty of off-field issues since pre-season – Bielsa rift with the management, Llorente wanting out, Martinez leaving etc.). Amorebieta is a no-nonsense defender that we’re sorely lacking, he’s calm and composed in his passing and is much faster than Mertesacker. He’s an easy choice for me to bring in as Mert’s replacement if it were a possibility.

Capoue is most definitely a beast in the truest sense of the word. He’s by far the most physical option of any of the names we have been linked to and patrols his own end like a pitbull, relentlessly pursuing the ball until he wins it back. His success in aerial duels last season at 76.2% was impressive and he’s very aggressive, but not to the point of receiving suspensions. He accumulates plenty of yellows on hard tackles to show the opposition that he means business. It also helps that he’s beginning to realize his potential as an offensive player and his statistics this season have been indicative of that. However, his ability on the ball and his range of passing are not as good as say Lars Bender.

202. Highbury Harmony says:

RA, N’Koulou is a CB at Marseille my friend :). And yes, he would be a quality option as a 3rd CB for next season if one of Mert or Verm are sold. I still like Miquel as our 4th choice CB since he needs to finally be promoted full-time or else a La Liga team will push for a permanent move back.

203. AFC says:

RA, I see your point but I do not think AW will put all of his eggs in one basket.

There could be other factors to consider which could be bad for us. Time for the foreign player (s) players to adapt. Moving to a new club could mean that the one player could not be as good as he was for his old club, I.e Torres, therefore making the one huge signing a complete waste of time. He could be a flop in the PL, some players can just not adapt to the PL. Could this one player learn to fit into our style of Wengerball etc.

Ultimately it depends on the player you are looking to sign, his age, his nationality, his skillset, what league he was playing currently playing in etc.

204. Highbury Harmony says:

Also RA, last I heard that was Llorente that agreed on a pre-contract transfer to Juve, not Amorebieta. Amorebieta wants a move to the PL with his agent claiming they have held steady dialogue with Arsenal since January.

205. glic says:

L ars Bender !. I take the L stands for large !. hahaha

Hi Alex 🙂

Thanks for answering the questions! I despise the Mancs a lot more than the Spuds. I will never forget how nasty they were when they finished our 49 Invincibles run… 😈

Hi Redders – I did not have time to score myself this morning – will do in a bit though 🙂

AFC 🙂

I will issue a post tomorrow that might cover a lot of what you would like to write about. Just see what you think once you have read it.

207. Red Arse says:

As I said AFC, your point was valid, but I will be interested to see what AW does this summer. It could be problematical, because, altho’ it sounds silly, £70m including wages, does not go far in football terms.

208. AFC says:

HH, I think Jenk is around the same level as Gibbs. They still need a couple of years. I would be up for us to sign a Monreal type RB.

As I was saying to Fred if we brought Richards we would be left with two England international fighting for the same place in out team. Jenks could leave as a result.

Richards for CB could be an option. Much faster than Amorebieta and has PL experience.

209. Highbury Harmony says:

Richards’ price tag would be incredibly inflated since he’s a British born player. I generally like to stay away from them, especially once they have established themselves as PL capable. 18 mil on him, as you suggested, is a complete waste of our resources and could be better spent on improving positions of greater need such as ST and DM.

As RA pointed out above, 70m is not a limitless amount of cash when you also take wages into consideration.

210. AFC says:

TA, sure thing, I will look at your post before deciding whether to write mine. 🙂

RA, agreed. 70 million does not go far in football. The Arsenal board must think we dickheads. I say we need closer to the 130 mill mark to completely rebuild our team.

211. Red Arse says:

HH,

I went back to check on N’Koulou, and these are his vital statistics;

Nicolas N’Koulou
    Club: Olympique de Marseille
    League: Ligue 1
    Nation: Cameroon

Position: CB/RB
    Age: 23
    Height: 180cm | 5’10”
    Foot: Right
    Squad number: 3

You can see that he is a tiddly 5′ 10″, and his shirt number is 3, so he statred life as a right back, and he sometimes plays at CB, but I would not want him for that position. 🙂

212. Red Arse says:

Hi TA, 🙂

I have already given my personal opinion of your attributes on AA, so it will be fun to see what your score shows!! 🙂

213. AFC says:

HH, you are probably right about Richards. I would prefer to see Sagna over Amorebieta for CB for a number of reasons (as you will see on my post on Monday).

If we brought a new RB and he could be rotated almost match for match like Gibbs and Monreal will probably be next season. It is a win win sitaution.

70 mill is really nothing when you takes wages into consideration. The Arsenal board think they can pull the wool over our eyes. City have spent near to 300 million on rebuilding there team. I think we need closer to the 130 mill really.

214. AFC says:

If we brought a new RB and he could be rotated almost match for match like Gibbs and Monreal will probably be next season. It is a win win situation.

215. Red Arse says:

And, TA, Rocky agreed, independently, with my assessment!! 😀

216. Highbury Harmony says:

RA, all of N’Koulou’s appearances this season have been at CB as I have watched quite a few Marseille games 🙂 (especially when Remy was there since I wanted to see what he could offer Arsenal since we were interested).

Confirmed here: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/43834/Show/Nicolas-NKoulou

217. glic says:

This £70m has been banded about for a while now, but it has also been banded about for a while by certain factions that we have £160m cash reserves !, any truth Redders in your accountants opinion ?. Just make sure it`s the right answer as I have both Gotze and Is(co) in the cellar and Isco being under sedation is confused by the letters IS on my todger…..” what IS it ? “. hahaha

218. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I think how you approach the 70 mil is all relative really. In Jack, Santi, Theo, Gibbs/Monreal, Jenkinson/Sagna, Kos/Mert/Verm, Arteta, Ches, Ox/Poldi, I think we already have the foundation for a good team, unlike Man $hitty who had to COMPLETELY rebuild their squad fromt he ground up. We also have quality squad players in Gerv, Ramsey, Rosicky and Giroud who have good team-first attitudes and all work hard.

However, good is not necessarily good enough and we need to be great in order to properly challenge for silverware. Give me a top quality striker and a top quality DM, along with an experienced GK and I think that immediately propels us to being a GREAT team, capable of challenging teams domestically and internationally. Filling the needs with top talent at those positions could be adequately addressed with the 70 mil we are rumoured to have at our disposal this off-season. Whether the rumoured sum is real or if AW will ever spend it, is a completely different matter altogether.

219. AFC says:

HH, I think Wenger will spend.

In think Wenger has started to spend more because of the stadium debts nearly being paid off. He did not spend because of the debt. Wenger just done a good job of hiding Arsenal’s real financial situation to people outside of the club.

220. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I believe AW will spend too, but I’m hoping it’s not at the expense of selling players yet again (re: last summer). Also, what quality of player will he spend on is another question I keep asking myself.

221. AFC says:

HH, Wenger is buying more experienced players who can come into our team as soon as they join now rather than players with potential. This is something we all have to take into account when speculating over any potential transfers.

222. Bond James says:

glic, agreed

TA, one things for sure, either of Lewandowski / Jovetic is a way forward and a step in the right direction for Arsenal.

HH, all agreed and re- the pace and movement of Lewandowski being better than most strikers out there – well that is exactly what we’re lacking at the moment, i dread the sight of seeing Giroud through to goal one on one from the half way mark.

coming back to a tangent of this article, i’m surprised why no one has noticed how well arsenal have done not only without TV but also with a new leader…. Wenger made a mistake appointing him the captain and i hope he is wise enough to relieve him off the arm band even when he plays for us in the future.

for me it’s not been the exclusion of TV that’s been a major factor as such, for me having a decent skipper is.

Hi Redders,

You and Rocky are right – I scored 44 points. 🙂

224. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I think AW bought those players because our contingent of youth are largely not ready yet. Also, these players came at bargain prices compared to premium, higher quality younger players. If there’s the possibility that he can buy a player who is already proved capable at a younger age with a very high potential, there’s not a chance he would hesitate to do so (depending on price of course).

225. AFC says:

TA, I scored 46. It seems great minds think alike. 😀

226. AFC says:

HH, you could have a point. We have got experience in most of our positions apart from GK. So we could see an experienced GK coming in with young talent which is proven.

Thanks for pointing that out to me, HH. 🙂

227. Red Arse says:

I am not at all surprised, TA, at that score. 🙂

While talking to HH elsewhere, he commented that Rip van Winkle had made an unfortunate comment regarding the ‘little boy inside me’ when announcing his transfer to Manyoo. To which I responded by taking your name in vain, — perhaps he meant the ‘little clog inside me’, after TA had kicked his arse!

Well, I thought it was funny!! 🙂

228. Red Arse says:

Glicster,

I don’t know what makes people say dopey things, but I suspect some bloggers see that Arsenal had £150m at the Balance Sheet date (I cannot be arsed to go and look it up) and say ‘yippe, we have all that cash to spend on players’.

What they do not grasp is that out of that money, Arsenal will have to pay their VAT and other taxes, as well as the players wages and all the other expenses that are ‘accrued’ by all large companies, and need to be paid pretty pronto.

On the other hand, in addition to the alleged £70m that has been ring fenced, you can add the salaries saved by getting rid of Arshavi, Bendtner etc etc (you know them) together with ant transfer sales of ‘minor’ players, and perhaps too, Djourou, Rosicky, Flappy and so on.

I would not be surprised if there was about £85m available, if the original £70m is correct, because, in addition to the above, the transfer fees and salaries would be amortised (written off) to profits over the period of the player’s contract.

Don’t despair Glicster, the money available may not be at Citeh or Chelsea levels, but there is a good pot available, and FFP means that those two clubs cannot spend as much, again, as they did some years ago. 🙂

229. AFC says:

RA, as you are a man of business, I have two questions for you.

If you had Messi and someone offered you 150-200 mill for him would you take it?

If a team offered 50 million for Jack would you take it?

I will let you know my answers when I hear yours.

230. Red Arse says:

AFC,

Those questions have to be placed in context, but if I had the sort of money such as that of Abramovich, or the Man City Sheikh, I would say NO!

Football is about winning, and with those two in my team(s) I can win something, if I sell them, someone else will win the trophies.

Football is not, or should not, be about about making money, it’s about playing beautiful football, and winning trophies!

Do you agree? 🙂

231. AFC says:

RA, for Jack I would say no because 50 million is not enough. If I was Barca manager I might be tempted with 250 million. With that money and his wages I could buy 5 of the worlds best players and with Barca other quality players it would ont be a problem.

232. glic says:

Thanks Redders for a more than concise sensible opinion/explanation. 🙂

233. Red Arse says:

So you half agree with me, 🙂 although I think the principle of beautiful football and trophies before money, if I was Abramovich, would be the key.

If I wanted another 5 world class players, like Mata, Oscar, Hazard etc — I would buy them — just like Abramovich has done recently, and with more players to come when his girlfriend Maureen arrives in the summer.

Nope — I would keep both Jack and Messi – I (Abramovic) don’t need the money.

234. Red Arse says:

You are welcome Glic, you volatile, impulsive leader!! 🙂

New Post – New Post 🙂

AFC is asking us which striker should join us this summer and what to do with Giroud. A fun and thought-provoking post based on a fine analysis of where we all seem to stand re OG. 🙂

236. Red Arse says:

I thanked TA, for setting off so many good comments, because of his excellent Post, and to say ‘Goodnight’ as I am off to get a bite to eat and to watch Barca, but WordPress gobbled it, like I will gobble my meal when I get it! 🙂

So Good Night folks!! 😀

237. Red Arse says:

Catch you tomorrow morning AFC. 🙂

Enjoy your evening Redders 🙂

239. glic says:

I dont know about any of them traits Redders, but no one I know could say I`m not ( three of which I did not see on the lists ) imaginative, inventive and a improviser !. hahaha

All agreed and on top of that you are a horny, small winkled and very funny Gooner hahaha 😛

241. glic says:

Hahaha Thanks Total….I think !. I might have shot myself in the foot ( or something else ! ) with the long standing joke that I can only fit an Isco sized tattoo on my hampton !. It could end up embarrassing if I have to get my todger out at the Arsenal Tavern toilets to prove I can get more than an Isco on it !. Oh well, if you cant laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at !. hahaha

GLic, I am a great believer in under-promising and over-delivering – many ladies would respond to you with (if you were a free man so to say): ooh well, that was a pleasant surprise! 😛

243. glic says:

Yes Total, it would be a surprise, especially if I was holding Girouds hampton for him in the toilets whilst he was taking an important phone call at the time !. hahahaha

hahaha Giroud lives in Cornwall 😉