Will the Pod get a start tomorrow?

Will the Pod get a start tomorrow?

Our third game in seven days is another cup-final. Win this one and we have our momentum back; lose it and the proverbial will properly hit the fan in Gooner-world.

We have not won at Craven Cottage since December 2010 and without much doubt it will be a difficult game again tomorrow. In one way the game is pretty similar to our recent away games against Swansea and WBA; Fulham are safe and nothing really to fight for other than a best possible position in mid-table. But they were properly beaten by their bitterest local rivals in midweek and will not want to face another humiliation in front of their home crowd. I expect them to come out fully pumped up and we will need to be ready for this tomorrow.

The Cottagers welcome back former Gunner Sidwell and I reckon he will fight some tough battles with Wilshere, Ramsey and Arteta. But other than that, there are some good, sophisticated footballers in this Fulham side, who will want to play football, which should suit us. Emanuelson and Berbatov are quality and Ruiz is finally starting to find his feet in the PL.

I also hope we see Senderos play for Fulham tomorrow. It is really nice that our former man has found his home at Craven Cottage, but let’s hope he does not have a super-day against us.

So, how are we going to line-up on Saturday?

Defence

Same as Tuesday but I reckon Nacho will start so he can form a trusted partnership with Santi on the left. Three games in seven days would probably be too much for Gibbs and unless Wenger is keen to play Podolski on the left, which would then probably mean he would be linked with his English football twin, I cannot see Gibbs start again tomorrow.

Midfield

Little doubt we will be once again anchored in our double-DM pivot by Arteta and Ramsey. These two are forming a solid, but not necessarily very exciting, partnership which is getting better steadily from game to game.

It will be key to keep a clean sheet, or not concede more than one goal tomorrow, if we want to win the game. So, we should expect Ramsey and Arteta to play conservatively and relatively close together with the main aim of forming a solid, movable mini-wall in front of the back-four and providing the four attackers with straightforward supplies of passes.

This leaves us with the attacking four players, one of which will be our most advanced midfielder. It sounds like Rosicky will not play as a result of a ‘touch and go’ hamstring problem. It also looks to me that Arsene does not want to play Cazorla ‘in the hole’, which makes sense to me as he is both too slow for the drive and thrust this position requires in a 4-2-1-3 formation, and he seems to prefer playing very close to the box, where he is also most effective for us. With Arteta and Ramsey needing to hold back a lot, somebody needs to drive the ball forwards to the three attackers and both Rosicky and Wilshere are ideal for this; Ox is also a possibility, but probably one for the future.

So to cut a long story short: I reckon Jack will play in the hole again and prove one or two doubters wrong tomorrow.

Attack

I would like to see Gervinho and Podolski start in this game, but I don’t think they will. I reckon, Arsene will go with Cazorla on the left – well, on paper, as he will move centrally constantly, leaving the wing-play to his fellow countryman; and start Theo again on the right – who will also move towards the middle a lot and leave the wing duties to Sagna for large parts of the game. The risk of this will be a lack of effective wing-play/width and trying too much through the middle; although, as this is not a home game, we should get enough space in the middle to play our intricate  passing game.

Giroud only scored one of his eleven PL goals away from home and Podolski is chomping – or is it champing 😛 – at the bits to start a game. But Giroud does so much in terms of giving our attacking game shape, drive and physicality that I cannot see Arsene changing it at this crucial stage of the season. We all might want to try out playing the Pod up-front, but not at the risk of losing valuable points.

The dilemma for Arsenal is that Podolski is better at converting chances, but Giroud is better at co-creating them and being there in the first place. So, it is Giroud up-front again, I reckon.

Predicted – not necessarily preferred! – Line-up:

Arsenal v Fulham April 13

Come on Arsenal, let’s make it 25 points out of our last 10 PL games and put some real pressure on the Spuds and Chavs who both have some very tough fixtures on Sunday!

CoYG – Give your all for the pride of the shirt!!!

Written by: TotalArsenal.

If you have a few spare minutes, you should also have a look at a very good pre-match report by Wigan Gooner; a good friend of mine, who writes fantastic posts on his own site ‘WiganGooner’:

329 Responses to Third time lucky for Jack – Pod or Giroud up-front – Nacho/Santi & Sagna/Theo on wings?

1. Bond James says:

from all the hyping and talk of Giroud by wenger and Koc, i reckon he’ll be on the bench which means we may end up having Podolski starting finally…

i would like to see the following

sczny

sagna koc mert gibbs

arteta ramsey

Santi

Gervinho Podolski the OX

2. Bond James says:

hi TA,

is is possible to have a feature/option on comments that allows us to edit our comments ?

Evening BJ

No that is not possible, unfortunately.

I would like to see your line-up play sometime in the future, but definitely not tomorrow as it would lead to too much confusion and miscommunication.

4. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, just stopping in before we head out for dinner :). Another fine match preview and I agree with all your choices for the starting line-up! I reckon Pod will not start again until he is ready to play at ST (playing at LW may not be conducive to his development with AW in training at ST) and Gibbs has been anything but good the past week, so it makes sense to put Nacho and Santi back together. My guess is Poldi starts at ST away to QPR in GW36.

Fulham will definitely be the creators of some nice link-up play and our defense will have to be alert especially in the first half as Berba tends to score early in matches. The trio of Berbatov-Ruiz-Emmanuelson is really starting to blossom and their link-up play has been outstanding.

I’m seeing plenty of goals in this game with Fulham jumping out to an early lead, but ultimately with Arsenal coming out on top 3-2. COYG!!!

HH – you seem to be eating all the time hahaha 😛

6. jgc says:

BJ et al,

Interesting thought that the more Arsene talks something up the less likely it is to happen (to an extent).. could well be true.

I am hopeful for Rosicky for at least 30-45 minutes, preferably 60+ and Wilshre to sub him..

I too dream of Pod up front and this may be the game to do so, unless they park the bus.. Then I’d prefer him running off OGs hold up play..

I can only really pick one thing and that is that what TA wrote is what you might call the likely scenario and there is always a surprise with Wenger, it seems. Strangely that seems to be his constant.

Dunno what to make of it, but am personally hopeful of finally finding a game on TV here in Belgium where I can see it at a normal hour

cheers — jgc

HH, any win I will take but I really hope we will be tight at the back tomorrow!

8. Bond James says:

you make a valid point,

however, i have taken into account that we’re playing 3 games in 7 days, most of our players will need to be managed otherwise it may well end up being a bit like man city vs wigan..

giroud needs to be brought on as an impact sub, same should be the case with theo and jack if needed…

i have given up on Wenger starting with Rosicky, he is has been under used by Wenger a lot this season when mostly he has been the driving force and best player on the pitch for us, even when we went out to bb in the FA cup, he looked our best player.

re- jack then again i might be wrong but i don’t see him starting 3 games in 7 days

all the games are important now and i don’t buy this confusion and miscommunication amongst regular squad players, who train every day together.

if anything it gives us more impetus and impact.

9. jgc says:

TA

Fully agree, we need the 3 here, and in all the rest barring ManU where I think we need the 1. Get those, and I agree it might be optimistic of me, then I think we have third..

Solid for the year, with brigher future lurking perhaps with hopefully no one important leaving and hopefully some (1-2, maybe 3) brighter (at least 1 really bright) lights coming in.

For me, this is exciting and what I really miss from rooting for teams as a kid in the US (in other sports). All the tension and hope, regardless of how well fulfilled it is or not, for how it will go and how we can get just that essential bit better for next year

cheers and off to bed — jgc

Fully agreed jgc. Arsene always does something unexpected; nothing big but enough for it to become very hard to predict 11/11 correctly.

good points BJ, but Jack only played 60-70 minutes of those games. I prefer Rosicky tomorrow, but I reckon it will be Jack, and I am pretty hopeful he won’t disappoint this time.

Alex and PPP……….UMF entries please guys.

Slaap lekker, jgc

14. Bond James says:

jgc,

that’s wenger for you, he would make a good poker player, i kind of had a gut feeling that he would start jack wilshere last game when he was making all the noises of over playing him and not being careful e.t.c, note how he does these things before important games or when it matters.

as long as we win and get 3 points, that is all that matters really

i wonder how much of miss that Arteta’s penalty is going to be when we could have won 4-3 vs Fulham, time will tell but i hope it doesn’t come back to hunt us at the end of the season when we’re short by 2 points.

i’m gonna go 2-5 Arsenal !

PS: HH, i’m with TA on this, you do seem to love eating most of the time 😀

15. AFC says:

TA, fine pre-match post. 🙂

Podolski will not start for me. Your line-up is spot on. I cannot really add much more.

I would like to see us play a narrow formation like a 4-3-1-2. Most of our players are not really wide men. Our crossing is dire at times so I feel a narrow fomration would suit us much better as a team.

16. bc says:

Its funny how so many of us see different things. Whilst u think cazorla doesn’t fit the hole I happen to think he much more effective there. I also think that alot of people missed the fact that when rosicky was playing we actually played 4312 with cazorla playing in an advanced hole role behind a front 2.
    Due to narrowness of fulhams pitch this is exactly what I would go for with the full backs given more autonomy.
    I actually think wenger has been bigging up gibbs giroud and the ox this week bcos he plans to put them on the bench. A bit like he was building up gervinho then dropped him and vernaelen then dropped him. So expect to see this line up
    Szczesney
    Sagna mertescaker koscielny monreal
    Arteta wilshire or rosicky ramsey
    Cazorla
    Walcott podolski

Mannone vermaelen coquelin wilshire or rosicky chamberlain giroud gervinho or gibbs

Thanks AFC 🙂

Do you like your women as skinny as you like your formations hahaha? 😛

I like width in a team, so no 4-3–1-2 or something like that for me!

18. Highbury Harmony says:

Are all you blokes implying I’m fat?! Hahaha, I just happen to come back to my place and get Internet before meals. Every time I stop in, it’s usually right before heading out for a meal 🙂 (and the fiance undoubtedly takes long to get ready…not sure why since whatever she puts on later gets ripped off anyway *insert naughty smiley face here*).

19. Highbury Harmony says:

Also, was meaning to ask but are you guys proud or pissed off when other guys constantly check out your wives/girlfriends/fiances on vacation hahaha?

You could be right with that line-up, bc, but I doubt it very much. Giroud is being bigged up because he needs it right now. For me, first four on the team sheet are BFG, Koz, Arteta and Giroud at the moment.

21. Highbury Harmony says:

Apparently, TA has subtly conveyed to us that he likes width in his women, much like his line up 😉

22. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, I’d put Santi on that list, guy hardly ever gets a game off

23. AFC says:

TA, I do like my women skinny as it happens. 😀

I suggested a narrow formation because I feel we do not suit a wide formation. We have no natural wingers. Pod is a false 9, Walcott and Ger are poachers, Cazorla, Rosicky and the ox are all AMs. Our only good wing play comes from our wingers so I thought a narrow formation would be a good idea.

HH you are famined animal! 😛

Any good at playing in midfield? 😆

HH, I am too preoccupied to notice 😉

26. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, are you implying that you are currently fapping as you blog with us on BK?

27. Bond James says:

is it me or that is what we have been doing best part of the season , playing narrow instead of using the width of the pitch ?

AFC,

we have been playing a much narrow formation since Jan, at least 4 midfielders in most games who have been coming in , instead of playing out wide from least one side if not more.

That’s true HH, how did you know?! hahaha 🙂

Agreed HH, Santi is part of that list!

30. AFC says:

BJ, I thought so. It is just lots of people keep complaining about Cazorla and Walcott most recently not adding width to the team.

Natural wingers seem to be a dying breed, AFC. You have a point. But that’s why I would play Gerv in most games: he gives us that extra width if needed, but can also play narrow.

32. glic says:

Thanks Total for the quality pre-match.
    Crap day on the M5 again, another jam !. 😦

No HH, they are pissed off with their WAGs checking out me !. hahaha

33. Bond James says:

Cazorla might be slotted on the left but he always comes back in towards midfield, or when he interchanged with Ros, both if not one seemed to be linking up well and then cutting back to the center – even Gervinho does it as well as OX

Walcott uses the width better than most but ever since he’s been tried up front, he is more intent of doing the same , coming in narrower as opposed to using the width

Fulham ground isn’t that wide anyway, so you will see all the players much narrower than usual, hence we need pace on both flanks with both the rb and lb making those runs, for that reason i won’t be surprised to see Gibbs start again.

34. Highbury Harmony says:

Part of my qualm about starting OG is that we have no wing delivery. It’s almost as though he’s set up for failure in our formation/with our personnel. Our team has never been set up for delivery through the air and while it’s nice to have that alternative option in attack, our players don’t understand how to cross the ball or enter the box properly yet (aside from OG and our central defenders).

35. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic, where does all this checking you out occur? From the ladies living in your retirement home?

36. AFC says:

HH, that is why I suggested we permanently use a narrow formation. What is the point of playing a wide formation if our wide men cannot cross the ball.

TA, Valencia is one of the true traditional wingers left.

Carrick is in the shortlist for PFA player of the year. What a joke. Not saying Arteta should be in it but he surely is ahead of Carrick.

37. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, Di Maria is probably the best true traditional wingers, though he’s way more talented than Valencia and has plenty of versatility to his game.

38. Highbury Harmony says:

Also Navas, himself and Di Maria are the top 2 traditional wingers around imo.

39. glic says:

Yes HH, they will be in need of a retirement home after I have worn them out !. :);

40. AFC says:

HH, you are spot on with Di Maria. 🙂

41. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha Glic, don’t you mean in need of medical attention after you drug them and have your way with them?

42. AFC says:

HH, I could just imagine Falcao at Real with Di Maria putting in those quality crosses for him.

The narrower the pitch, the more you have to use its width, no?

44. AFC says:

TA, yes you do. Because the pitch is narrow it will become even more congested in the middle making it harder to play through the opposition.

45. AFC says:

TA, I did not suggest a narrow formation for this match. I was saying we should use a narrow formation more in the future. At one point Milan had no wide players so they used a narrow formation and it worked wonders for them.

We just need to have that alternative if and when games get too narrow. Gervinho is the best we currently have to stretch a defensive set-up. But I am hoping the Nacho-Santi combo on the left will add width and good balls into the box, and Sagna will add has fair share as well.

47. AFC says:

TA, agreed. 🙂

48. glic says:

Hahaha HH
    As Dr Glic, I have my own anaesthetist and partner Dr Stretch aka TMHT !.
    Here he is below, how could you not trust a man who can suppply his own hair transplant follicles from his arms and other places not suitable for viewing !. hahaha

I know AFC, but not for me. Just like my women, I like a bit of width and sway hahaha 🙂

Wow Glic that sounds like a nightmare on the the road. Bet you have been listening to talk super-shite all day hahaha 🙂

51. glic says:

From 7am to 8pm Totes, I deserve a talkSHITE medal !.

Bloody hell Glic, are you being serious?!

You deserve a talkSHITE statue!

Glic…..23:26…..is that the photo of Terry you took in the Tavern?

54. DN says:

The team has been doing well without Wilshere and Walcott .If Rosicky is fit he must start ahead of Wilshere. Gervinho has been outstanding recently and must be given a nod ahead of Walcott whose last meaningful contribution was in January just before he sign a hefty contract.Podolski is a proven goal scorer and goals are what we need.We can,t keep talking about Giroud,s workrates as if teams are judged on workrates .At the end of the day it’s goals that matters not workrate and striker are judged by their conversion rate so the lethal Prince Poldi must start.

Nice post TA..
    I think all the starting eleven will play..
    But I hope Wenger change a little bit.. and not forcing Wilshere to play if he is not fit enough.. I prefer Ox do the job.. together with Ramsey.. but put back Santi in that position also nice..

As for winger.. I think Wenger must really see who is at his best.. We have a lot of choices.. Walcott.. Gervinho.. Podolski.. Santi and also Ox..
    I like to see Podolski playing at CF.. but I don’t think Wenger will put so much risk for tonight.. hehe.. even that maybe an awesome formation.. hehe..

After draw to Everton.. it is the time to fightback to the victory.. the trend must keep on running.. as Wenger said : We will be unbeaten till the end of this season..
    Tonight is the key.. if We pass through this gate.. then the snowball will continue rolling bigger and bigger..

HH and Glic.. thanks guys..
    TA.. I like Yoona the Goona.. it sound like you are the gunner.. hehe.. thanks.. I will use that in her shirt.. hehe..

56. William says:

The gunners drew with Everton.I believe the gunners could be under pressure because Jol will ask his players not to give timeand space for the gunners. I don’t know why the gunners will ahave a problem playing agressive teams . Until this problem is resolved,they will continue to buckle and drop points.
    Berbatove could the guy who will continue to be a nightmare for the gunners. If the gunners can’t control him ,forget about the cl. I don’t shareWenger’s assertion the gunners can cope with agressive teams.Wiht MU looming,this is a must win game and put some pressure on Spurs.

57. alexgunners says:

Hi TA,

Great post and i would like to see your line up start today. I do hope that it is 3rd time lucky for Jack as we need him to show his class just as i would like to see nacho link up with Santi.
    Here’s to a very tough match ahead but i predict that we will di enough to earn the 3 points (fingers crossed).

VCC,

Sorry about being late again but here are my predictions.

The Arsenal (A)
    orcs (a)
    Toffees (a)
    Southamptom (A)
    Wigan (A)

Thanks mate

Morning fine fellow Gooners! 🙂

MATCH DAY MATCH DAY MATCH DAY MATCH DAY!!!!!

Hi DN

Agreed on Rosicky and Gervinho, but not on your views re workrate.

Without the workrate there will be no chances, and without chances there will be no goals.

Workrate alone is not enough, of course, as talent, composure and clinical finishing are also required.

I would like Poldi to play today, but best not to underestimate what Giroud brings to this team currently in terms of shape, physicality, link up play and defensive support. He might even score a brace today – you heard it here first hahaha 🙂

Hi Henry 🙂

Are you prepared for many sleepless nights ahead of you? 😀

You might need to sing Yoona an Arsenal song to get her back to sleep:

Good Night, Good Night
    Dream of the mighty Rehehehed and white
    Yoona da Goona
    All will be allright

And again! 🙂

Hi William

I don’t think Fulham are an aggressive team but they will be energetic against us. If we can match that energy and silence the home crowd with our passing, and hopefully an early goal, we’ll be allright.

As many of us have said recently, we need a Ramires/Fellaini type of player in our team to help us boss the midfield, but I don’t think we’ll them today. Let’s keep an eye on Aaron as well who has been adding a lot of physicality to his play recently.

Hi Alex 🙂

Good to see you back here – have you been busy lately?

63. kaboom says:

whoever starting the game, 3 points is a must. chelsea get away with 3 goals margin victory and anything less than 3 points is just unacceptable. regardless a deflected goal, own goal, last min goal, 3 points is a must!

64. Red Arse says:

Super Dooper Pre-Match, TA 🙂

Morning Redders 🙂

66. Red Arse says:

TA

I cannot help that uncomfortable feeling about today’s game.

I have been to craven Cottage many times, and have never felt comfortable watching Arsenal there.

I am keeping everything crossed again today, especially bearing in mind we have not beaten them for three years or so.

Still, on the other hand, it is a gorgeous sunny morning so I cannot let it get to me!! 😀

I share some of that apprehension,Redders. We need our front men to be in red hot form today!

68. alexgunners says:

Hi TA,

I have been extremely busy. No rest for the wicked I guess. A lot of work on at the moment and working 7 days a week. It’s good to be back.

It is game day and I look forward to chatting to you guys during game time

Beers are on me.

Cheers Alex, mines a San Miguel… 😉

Yes, thank you Alex…….. A Firkin of San Miguel will do nicely, should just about get me through todays game. Muchas Gracias, Mi Amigo.

71. oz gunner says:

@ TA 7.53

F’N BRILLIANT!!!!!

72. oz gunner says:

@ Alex

see you then, I’ll have a bourban

VCC will have a milk…don’t want anything giving him an upset stomach. Incontinence pants aint cheap!!!

73. oz gunner says:

@ TA

cheers, can’t stop singing ‘and the boys from the Arsenal knocked one down’

Best chant i think

74. marcus says:

Hi TA
    Great inquisitive post. Jack Wilshere is a player still finding form after 6 weeks out. I think rather than throw away points, we should start with Rosicky for two main reasons; Firstly with Wilshere still not at top form, we tend to lose control of the game in the middle of the park especially possession-wise. Like the Everton game saw us get dominated in the middle. Secondly, with Rosicky on the field we tend to be more penetrative and overall create more clear cut chances. I chalk this down to experience because while these two players are just about equal technically, Rosicky has that experience that allows him to make better decisions be it making more productive passes, holding the ball when he needs to, running at players when the situation requires or even timing the runs of our players. Jack in all his glory is sometimes guilty of trying to run all the way into the box when a through ball would yield better results. My verdict here would be start Rosicky and then bring on Wilshere as a sub.
    As for the Giroud-Poldi debate, I’d start Poldi simply because he is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more superior finisher than Ollie and goals is what we need.
    My defense would have Sagna, BFG, Kos and Nacho. I’d go for nacho because his aerial prowess is going to be key against a fulham side who are more than proficient in set pieces.
    On the wings I would have Theo (no-brainer) on the right and Ox on the left. I’d go for the OX simply because he deserves it, plain and simple.
    So my starting 11 would be:

Szczesny, Sagna, BFG, Kos, Nacho, Ramsey, Arteta, Cazorla, Ox, Theo, Poldi.

Oz…… 🙂

We need to take our chances today as they will be few and far between. With this in mind I would go with the Pod up front as he is the more clinical finisher. Leave Giroud as an impact sub if needed for the last 20 minutes.

Hey boys, big match today….

It’s the middle of the night here, but the ancient dog was moaning and needed a lift off the concrete floor–a quick clean up and I’ve got her outside….It’s sad, but the cycle of life, I guess. In some ways I’m reminded of the early days of my house-husband, stay-at-home-dad glory….On that note, Big Congrats to Henry on the birth of Yoona (the Goona)….

I think TA has the starting 11 and (like RA and others) I’m nervous about this one because we need the 3 points so badly. I hope I can get back to bed for a couple of hours of sleep, but my concerns may prevent it…

Pitch size has been standardized this season so the whole bit about Fulham’s small pitch (not to mention Stoke City’s….) is moot. (Though people are free to discuss the perception of “width” in our play as much as they like, of course….) I haven’t liked the whole business of “Theo is a Striker” from his contract hold-out and I remember him feeding a few in for some Dutch guy in years past. Ollie needs to know where Theo’s gonna be (and visa versa) or it’s rather useless playing them together. Theo is looking very selfish since his latest injury and Ollie has picked some weird moments to look for his own shot too. Both guys “need” a goal (and not a sloppy, maybe-I-got-a-touch-as-I-slid-in, type….) so my hope is that they can put aside those ideas and/or maybe get a little space (Senderos and Hangeland are big but not that fast….) and just score. Today might not be the day for walking it in…. I agree with TA (and others) that being solid at the back should be our first priority. We got pretty lucky in that regard vs Everton and obviously had real troubles in the reverse fixture–another reason I may be done sleeping….

There’s the single bark of my old girl asking for me let her in….

where’s that bad boy Prince?

79. alexgunners says:

So far I have a bourbon for OZ
    a San Miguel for VCC (even though OZ believes that it should be milk).

In all seriousness, Even though i believe that Giroud will start, I think that POD can make a difference. Giroud is a hard worker and plays for the team but his confidence in front of goals has been in decline. Pod is a great impact player and maybe it’s time to give him a go as i believe Fulham will not give us too many chances

80. oz gunner says:

@ Alex

Agreed. Giroud won’t be given an inch against Hangeland and Senderos. Hangeland is one of those players that appears to love playing against us, it’s as though he knows he is bigger and can bully us so he is extra confident. Pod’s clinical shooting may be required in this one as i feel opportunities will be limited. Bring Giroud on to test the CB’s late and see just how big they are after 75 minutes of football.

Also make sure the milk is soy because the lactose might cause extra discomfort!!!

81. alexgunners says:

@OZ,

One soy milk coming right up.

I think that Giroud’s big problem is that he does not hold the ball too well, his passing at times is careless. For someone his size, he should be able to hold up play when needed. He is great at one-two passes inside the box but most of the time he gets possession outside the box and that’s when he tends to be more error prone

82. oz gunner says:

@ Alex

sometimes I think he just needs to go back to basics, especially when his confidence is low. The flicks and tricks are all well and good, but if you’re not on top of your game they are going to look foolish. Once he held on to the ball a bit longer last weekend against Norwich he came into the game more. I think the outside the box placement is because we are still set up like we were with the traitor. Which is exactly why i thought Pod would slip in seamlessly at the start of the season (what do I know though 🙂 )

Hey fellas. I got a little sleep but now I’m ready for the match….Teams have been announced. Sicky starts, Jack sits….Otherwise TA picked it….

Fulham: Schwarzer; Manolev, Senderos, Hangeland, Richardson; Enoh, Sidwell; Ruiz, Emanuelson, Kacaniklic; Berbatov

Subs: Etheridge, Riise, Hughes, Karagounis, Frei, Rodallega, Petric

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Subs: Mannone, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski

Will anybody be around for the match? Late night down under? 7 am kickoff here….

Alex–from just above. With all the discussion about Giroud I think what you’ve said puts it very well. I think he’s got the skills (and size) to hold the ball up better than he does, but he’s always in a rush, either to get it onto his left foot or to do the 1-2 thing. The idea of taking multiple touches or guarding the ball with his body is not on his agenda. Seems like just a word into his ear (some people call it “coaching”….) might work wonders….

I think this game will be a good one and reasonably open. I think Fulham will look to match us in MF and be at least somewhat adventurous. I don’t see them giving us all the possession and parking the bus….I doubt however they’ll bring the pace and cynicism we saw vs Everton. (As always, however, WTF do I know?….)

I like the line-up and I think it’s the best group we’ve got, while leaving plenty of firepower on the bench. Sicky got his goals vs West Brom. Now we need Theo or Ollie to get theirs. It’s been a while for them, same as Santi. And, geez, if Ramsey finds himself with a chance, he REALLY needs to take it….

Go on….

85. Red Arse says:

Interesting comment from AW about Per Mertesecker.

This was carried in the Daily Star so who knows whether it is accurate. probably is — because it has always been my own opinion.

–“ARSENE WENGER admits Per Mertesacker can look like a lower league player at times.

But the Arsenal boss is convinced appearances can be deceptive – and that’s why the big German is keeping Thomas Vermaelen on the sidelines.

The giant centre-back has had more than his fair share of torrid times in his two Premier League seasons.

But he has been a first pick for the last three months and it would be a shock if he didn’t start at Fulham today.

Wenger said: “Maybe he is less elegant and the visual impression is less pleasing, but he is efficient and intelligent.

“He combines well with Vermaelen and Laurent Koscielny. They are good partnerships.

“He’s a bit better at positional play.

“I have three good centre-backs. I can’t be wrong when I make a decision, because all three deserve to play.”

Club captain Vermaelen has featured in just three of the last nine games. He started against Norwich last week but only because Mertesacker was suspended.

He was back on the bench in midweek when Everton drew 0-0 at The Emirates but Wenger insisted the man they call TV5 was biding his time patiently.

He said: “He’s disappointed not to play, which is normal. He deals with the situation in a fantastic way.”

86. Red Arse says:

Arsenal Team:

Jack on the bench!

Hey RA….Inneresting….If Per is lumbering then Kos is bow-legged and TV5 is duck-footed…for me they all look a little less than completely convincing, but maybe that’s why they’re defenders…. Kos, I think is the best of the lot and brings a good combination of reading the game, being relatively decisive when he goes for the play and an ability to gather himself and get to the ball quickly. He’s also still improving and seems to be learning with each match. He’s not the biggest guy but he gets the job done….He’s also my wife’s favorite player. With his hair and big nose, she thinks he looks like a young bird in the nest….How about a set play goal from him or the BFG today?….

88. alexgunners says:

@ OZ 13:52,

I agree with you in the sense that Poldi could have been more influential for us had he been given more of an opportunity since the start of the season. He has a lethal shot and all we have to look at is the past few games to see how he has come in as an impact player for us. You cant help but wonder, what his goal tally might be at if he played more centrally.

@17

Ramsey does need to take more shots, if the opportunity is there. Teams expect us to want to walk it in. Would it hurt to actually take a couple more shots first time instead always looking for that extra pass?

@ Red

Isn’t a little concerning how at the vital end of the season, we can’t even find space for our captain? Doesn’t look good for him at all. He does not deserve to be starting but you would hope that he would step up sooner or later. Well it really had to be a few games ago since the season is nearly over

89. alexgunners says:

It’s time fellas, lets hope for a strong performance right from the start and let’s get those 3 points that we need so badly.

Really nervous…..Here we go.

91. oz gunner says:

game faces on gents!!! Glad to have you on board again 17, let the BK game time dribble begin 🙂

I haven’t watched a lot of Fulham this season, but they’re missing both Duff and Dejagah and Karagounis and Riise both start on the bench. To me, this seems pretty favorable for us. Who is Kacaniklic?….

Agree Alex about TV5….Making him Captain this year was a giant back-fire….Also agree about taking some longer shots. Along the top of the box is where Fulham might not quite have the desire to make the flying blocks on the likes of Santi or Mikel….

93. oz gunner says:

for those who need a stream

Sunny day in West London….Here we go… Wide pitch puts our FBs in the fans’ laps….

Geezus, Nacho’s missed tackle almost cost us…Good keeping from Sneezy to close the angle….

@ ht.. thanks bro..

TA.. you must give me the note (music) also.. hehe.. thanks a lot..

Rosicky is back..
    SWAT (Santi Walcott Arteta Tomas Rosicky) team will secure our victory.. hehe..

96. alexgunners says:

Hi Henry,

Congratulations

97. oz gunner says:

I don’t see why we don’t use Giroud in a free role for defensive setups like Hangeland did there. Toon did it with carroll (west ham not too) and it works really well. Don’t worry about a player just attack the ball

Good start, but for the first minute chance we’ve been dominating—91% possession they posted after 8 mins….

Need to make some real chances and get the goal, however….

99. oz gunner says:

cheers sidwell

Crowd noise is all Arsenal….

SIDWELL OFF!!!!

101. Highbury Harmony says:

RED CARD!!!

102. alexgunners says:

Sidwell may have done us a favour. Lets keep the pressure up

103. oz gunner says:

sidwell…look at him holding his knee then head in an attempt to lessen the red card. Arteta landed on his back nowhere near his head. I call it the ‘nani’

It looked pretty bad….We could’ve used Marriner on Tuesday….

105. alexgunners says:

that was worthy of at least a yellow

106. Highbury Harmony says:

Listening to the game on a radio is hilarious though somewhat soothing/sparks imagination.

Fulham fouls (and dives) indicate that they’ve already packed it in….Of course, we need to make them pay and not think it’s already won….

108. alexgunners says:

Rosicky is looking sharp so far. Giroud has been a little flat footed

HH, Are you on the boat again? Living the dream, eh….

110. oz gunner says:

indeed 17.

hats off to you HH, i could never listen to football on the radio

ESPN has only 1/2 their usual team….Drunken Steve McManaman is out for Annoying Scottish Pundit….

112. oz gunner says:

come on that was poor. great save

113. alexgunners says:

3 v 2 and we looked in real trouble

114. Highbury Harmony says:

Our CB are awful!! It sounded pretty bad on the radio hahaha, thank god for Ches 🙂

Terrible defense, but Berbs hits it straight to Sneezy… Corner well defended, however…

Defense has “issues”, I fear….

116. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht, not on the boat my friend. We’re heading out for our flight back today so just relaxing outside by the pool with the radio and my iPhone!

117. alexgunners says:

HH, whatever they said on the radio, they were not exaggerating

118. Highbury Harmony says:

Oz, do you credit my turnaround on OG to your petition?

119. Highbury Harmony says:

By the sounds of it, Fulham have had the better chances so far…

We’re playing very narrow in attack (for those who favor such an approach)….And very sketchy when they break on us. We need to wear them down rather than keep making the risky passes….Ollie, pass the fucking ball, eh…

121. oz gunner says:

@ HH

You’re to stubborn for that 🙂 I credit it to you have a loving Mrs haha

122. Highbury Harmony says:

Commentators are being very harsh on OG, apparently Santi is disgusted with the last shot OG took.

we need to SHOOT…..ffs

I hate to tell all the Ramsey faithful, but that where our attack is dying (over and over)….and over….

125. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha Oz, funny enough in the Arsenal discussion I had with that old man, she said that I shouldn’t hate any of my own players since they’re the source of my ultimate happiness when it comes to football.

Great D from Sagna there after Per went all leggy. 10 man Fulham bossing us a bit (or at least looking dangerous on the break)….

127. Highbury Harmony says:

Sounds like we lack creativity…

Better there from Ramsey (with his left, even) dies at Theo….

129. oz gunner says:

@ HH

that was the ghost of Oz future. You wouldn’t listen to me so I had to get my future self to tell you.

130. alexgunners says:

Plenty of possession but no creativity. OG and TW just seem to be out of position and not running into the right spaces

HH, as Fulham get more wide-eyed on the break the game is opening up….And the Annoying Scottish Pundit agrees with me….

No, no, that was me….I was laying down my happy talk on HH but really just looking his girl up and down…..

133. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, if you come on later, here is the full article that I referenced yesterday (linked you to a partial version by accident). This one has the comment about how he’s different from the strikers we’ve become used to and adds a different dimension to the others in being physical in the air.

134. Highbury Harmony says:

Oz, I will have to kill you if your future self was inside of my future wife hahaha 😉

Decent first touch from Theo, but then a classic D’oh off his face….

136. alexgunners says:

Attacking play, Giroud fluffs it and theo doesnt even try to win the ball

137. oz gunner says:

@ HH

haha no that was future 17, i was the decoy. Hook line and sinker 🙂

138. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha you blokes are giving me a good laugh. 17ht, thanks for confirming with more description what I hear on the radio broadcasts.

Ollie off the post!!

140. oz gunner says:

fiddle sticks so close!!

141. Highbury Harmony says:

They keep describing the Fulham pitch and how immaculate it is…I remember going to the stadium as a kid and absolutely loving the stadium. They are still my “2nd PL club”…hope I don’t get flack for telling you all that hahaha!

I’m not quite old enough to be a dirty old man, but I’m getting there…C’mon boys–get the freaking goal….

143. Highbury Harmony says:

I’m a little concerned that we haven’t been linked in any pre-contract agreements with players. A ton of other clubs seem to have already started their transfer business.

144. alexgunners says:

Guys, have any of you noticed how little Theo runs on the pitch? Doesnt run back much to defend and simply isnt making the runs he used to down the wings

Nacho with some good D…We need him to step out of the shadow (of the West stand). He had a good cross earlier. We look pretty leggy on defense…and now Sagna (who was running hard after a missed tackle) can’t handle a basic ball….

146. oz gunner says:

@ HH

I always hate that it gets left so late. A whole pre-season would allow new players to gel with the team quicker and more importantly let us sleep comfortably at night

147. alexgunners says:

and just as i wrote the last comment, Theo passes it to a fulham player

148. oz gunner says:

@ Alex

yeah it really gets on my nerves. He has the luxury of having hard runners like Sanga/Jenks behind him yet he doesn’t capitalise on it

149. Highbury Harmony says:

Exactly Oz, look how quickly Poldi adapted to playing with Gibbs! No comment on OG, but he’s still had a successful first season despite the crucial missed chances. Also, he’s not quite as accomplished or mature in his game as Poldi, so it made sense that it’d take him longer to adjust.

Norwich have signed Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Fulham have signed Fernando Amorebieta, Juventus has signed Fernando Llorente, etc. I know there are more, but are there others in the EPL that I’m missing.

Emmanuelson beats Nacho (who might’ve been expecting a whistle)…Corner defended, sort of….(Ruiz was flying in free….) We look shot and like we want our HT tea….

151. Highbury Harmony says:

Alex, Theo works hard in spurts, usually it comes at the beginning of a match or the beginning of a sub appearance and at the end of a half or end of a game.

Mertesacker!!!

152. oz gunner says:

The bash brothers with the goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

153. alexgunners says:

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL
    PEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR

154. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha wow our two CBs linked up for a goal!!!

KOS or PER!!! PER!!! Kos looked offside, but Fulham were just lazy…

Hey, didn’t I call for just that in the pre-game?… Yes, yes I did….

157. oz gunner says:

So we haven’t signed jovetic???

158. alexgunners says:

HH,

It is only in spurts. You do not get paid so much to play in spurts. He needs to show more.

It is rather worrying at times that our midfielders and defenders outscore our forwards

159. Highbury Harmony says:

Oz, I bloody wish. Perhaps our signings are contingent on us making the CL…

Aren’t you a little young to be posting on Bergkampesque? (Does anybody else watch Phineas and Ferb?….)

161. Highbury Harmony says:

Jesus 17ht, my little nephews love that show…how old are you again?

Spurts, we’re talking about spurts? I thought the real dirty old men watch down at the pub, then get dinner at Tesco….

1-nil at the half….

163. alexgunners says:

HH,

On your previous point. We do leave it too late looking for that bargain and in the end we hear excuses that ‘WE’ could not find a player to compliment our current squad. I hope that I am proved wrong in this transfer window

It’s pretty well written, HH (Phineas and Ferb) and I enjoy watching it with my kid. He’s looking over my shoulder as I chat….I’m old…how old was the Arsenal fan you met?…

165. Highbury Harmony says:

By the way, I absolutely cannot wait for Serge Gnabry to break into the first team. He is just an outstanding talent and seems to be the union of Ox and Santi. By that I mean that he has the physicality, balance, pace and dribbling of Ox and the ball control, composure and shooting ability of Santi, with the creative instincts of both!

166. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht haha that makes more sense, I thought you were trying to tell us that you frequent the show ;). The Arsenal fan I met was 78!

167. oz gunner says:

@ HH

I’ll murder someone if i hear Arsene say that. We must finish 3rd so we don’t have to because waiting after the CL qualifiers is dreadful.

@ 17

cartoons are shocking these days. I had to babysit my nephews last night and i kids shows just don’t cut it. What happened to shows like Dragon Ball Z, Captain Planet and the Samurai pizza cats!!!

I think Jovetic is a possibility (close to the chest done deal) but then I wonder when was the last time Arsene bought anybody from Italy….OK, gotta pull my half-time espresso (for good Italian luck…)

169. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht, I can’t remember any hint of success from buying from Serie A 😉

170. alexgunners says:

OZ,

Now that brings back some memories, Samurai Pizza Cats

171. Highbury Harmony says:

Better stay away from that league imo

172. alexgunners says:

Unless you are going to pick up a future DB10

173. AFC says:

HH, that is why I was wondering, why Wenger would buy from Italy. And why he would buy a player who is not playing for one of the top teams in Italy.

174. oz gunner says:

@ Alex

haha

@ 17

I hope so too. He’d fit in so well it’d be a crime not to

175. Highbury Harmony says:

The way I see it right now, is that we call up Eisfeld next season until Diaby returns from injury, Gnabry replaces Arshavin and Miquel replaces Squillaci as the full-time 4th choice CB.

That should fill up 2-3 squad spots. If we can sell Mannone and let Fabianski walk, there is a need for an experienced/back-up GK and another squad spot that can be filled by a new signing (DM?). Finally, it’s well known that we’re a little shallow at ST, so I can foresee AW buying one.

176. AFC says:

In years to come we could be buying from the Saudi League. The Saudi League looks very promising.

177. alexgunners says:

OZ,

kids cartoons are nowhere near as good as they once were

178. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha AFC! I was being sarcastic mate, hence the wink face…unless of course you have forgotten about Henry and PV4 😉

OK, espresso in hand….Don’t we have a striker on loan at a top Italian club?….

For me, AW buying from anywhere is a possibility, him buying from nowhere (or not buying is also a possibility)….Speaking of buying. Does anybody need a big-ass ski house in the mountains of California? The house across from us is in foreclosure….

180. alexgunners says:

AFC,

AW works in mysterious ways. Anything is possible even though it may not be what we want

181. AFC says:

HH, I was referring to recent years.

We’ve got a Big Fucking German, Big Fucking GGGGGGGGGeEEEEEErman!

Only saw last 15 minutes, catch you guys later! 🙂

Vieira, Bergkamp and Henry came from Italy…

I agree HH, we just need some stability over the summer and a good start so that some young guns can have a chance to show their stuff….

For AW it’s all about the deal….If Fiorentina need the money, I bet they’ve got it and are just honoring their agreement to keep it on the Down Low….

AW looking good running back to his bench….

Game on, Garth….

185. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, check my comment @ 15:32 for your future article 🙂

186. AFC says:

Guys, Wenger will buy from anywhere. Apparently Wenger has shown interest in a player from the Saudi League and is starting to watch the League quite closely.

187. oz gunner says:

@ Alex

they sure aren’t. Damn 17 now I was just on youtube seeing top 25 cartoon intros from the 90’s. beast wars, transformers, ninja turtles, jesus. When i have a kid he/she is getting forced to watch these classics just so i have an excuse

Giroud doing his “I’m down, I’m down” FK straight to Schwartzer…

Cheers HH, I did read the Guardian (our ‘house’ paper) article late last night 🙂

190. Highbury Harmony says:

Oz, can’t forget about x-men, batman, spiderman and all the other superhero classics.

191. alexgunners says:

OZ,

That’s my plan, Ive started downloading quite a few of them for when my kid is born later this year.

Wiki the Viking is my all time favourite cartoon

193. alexgunners says:

mine was Voltron

194. oz gunner says:

@ TA

we didn’t get dutch shows in Oz haha.

@ Alex

very clever. I did that with transformers, dragonball z, and gumby.

Oz you must be young….I was watching the Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner (and Popeye) when I was a kid….Maybe that makes me a Flintstone…

Here in the States our TV has some great ads for guys my age–Southern Comfort and Dos Equis….

“He is the most interesting man in the world”….

Emanuelson dives AND Arteta gets the yellow!!!

196. AFC says:

Guys, I have watched a lot of cartoons over the years but for me the adult cartoons are the best. The likes of Family Guy, American Dad, South Park and The BoonDocks are all genius. 🙂

197. oz gunner says:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

198. oz gunner says:

@ 17

shocking dive. never there.

Wiki was German or Scandinavian, ozzer!

This team is beaten but we’re not putting them to the sword…Time for a little Santi on the ball

That’s him, Ozzer! Cheers. 😛

202. alexgunners says:

@17

We need something, it does not look like we have an extra player on the pitch. We are making hard work of this

203. oz gunner says:

Nice ball in from Sicky…Hangeland as big as Per, however….

Either Pod or Gervinho or both, especially the latter as he can take a bit sunshine 😆

206. alexgunners says:

Love it OZ

207. oz gunner says:

god that was lucky, jesus

208. oz gunner says:

agreed TA

Sorry, but Ramsey has some “technical difficulties”

Same issue as Giroud? “Hard work fine and hard work good but…” Anybody know that song?….

210. alexgunners says:

I am hoping for the introduction of OX into this game. Ramsay does not seem to be having a good game and I think that OX can help inject some urgency into the squad

Uh oh, the Scottish pundit is talking about the speed of the pitch (or lack thereof)….Sorry, that’s not the problem….Are we boring, boring Arsenal these days?

Too many giveaways!!!

Alex,

Ox would be good too. I just like somebody to play via the wing and get behind the Fulham defence: there should then be plenty of Gunners in the box….

Ruiz manhandles Santi and takes the ball….We’re dragging here and need a 2nd which I don’t see coming from this group. We can’t get too far forward because we’re too poor on the ball and give it away far too easily….

214. AFC says:

17ht, Ramsey is still very young and can change. What Ramsey needs to do is decide which type of player he wants to be and then aquire the qualities needed for him to be this type of player through tons of training. For instance if Ramsey wants to be an AM then it is a must for him to really improve his finishing, attacking position etc.

215. oz gunner says:

Just so you don’t feel left out VCC

@ 17

I know we are playing against 10 but it’s too risky, fulham are well drilled and we need the points

216. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahahaha Oz, clearly a new generation child who never learned to respect his elders!

217. Highbury Harmony says:

I feel like AW has a specific time that he likes to sub his players on. 70, 87 and 90 seem to be numbers he likes.

218. AFC says:

* acquire

219. alexgunners says:

one minute to a substitution

I think it’s a little late for some things AFC….He’s a hard worker (like PFA nominee Carrick) but it shows how far the English league has fallen. Quality midfielders don’t want to play because they get maimed by the lack of ref protection….At least AR16 has gotten over that (mental) hurdle….If Ramsey is undroppable the quality of our team has got to be questioned….(In my opinion)….

We need to make some changes and stop giving these guys corners….

Santi is out of his performance.. replace him with Podolski.. and Sagna also..

222. oz gunner says:

God really making hard work of this and giving them chances.

@ HH

I do but…VCC was a gymnast…a male gymnast!!! 🙂

Theo and Sicky off, Lulu and little Jack on…. Go on boys…

224. Highbury Harmony says:

I would like to see Ox come on for Santi.

225. AFC says:

17ht, agreed. How Carrick got in the shortlist for PFA player of the year, I will never know. Not saying Arteta should be in it but surely Arteta beats Carrick in most departments.

We look a little livelier….Not such a great cross there Jackie….

FK in a bad spot given…..

228. oz gunner says:

Is that some sort of ref payback for the Norwich call

229. Highbury Harmony says:

Sounded like we once again we were caught by expecting a call and waving our hands in the air.

230. alexgunners says:

How lucky are we???? Chezza made a meal of that one

231. oz gunner says:

thank frick for that! I nearly threw up. Come on guys!!!

232. Highbury Harmony says:

Phew thank god for the offside call, sounded like a female name too?

Are We playing 4-4-2..??

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF Love that lineslady!

Offsides, lucky….Another FK given….We gotta do better here or we’re gonna drop points….

236. AFC says:

17ht, I was listening to talkSPORT yesterday for a few hours. Heard quite a few people just chatting shit. One guy said that Carrick was best passer in the English League. What a joke. Quite a few callers praisng Carrick so high you would think the guy was as good as Xavi.

237. oz gunner says:

damn fulham, always cause us problems, even with bloody 10 men!! come on a sealer please for our hearts sake

238. oz gunner says:

@ AFC

i read something similar with some suggesting he is the English pirlo hahaha

AFC, I think Arteta, as much as we count on him is also a very limited player….Tough guy, however and his taking the studs from Sidwell could be the difference.

C’mon boys stop inviting all this pressure!!!

240. oz gunner says:

more of that please

241. AFC says:

17ht, Arteta is limited but has been a much better player than Carrick this season.

Carrick is good and I’d take him on our team in a heartbeat. In fact, he reminds me of a less divey Busquets…

Finally a bit of chance. Santi needs to hit it first time or go around the defender….

243. Highbury Harmony says:

I haven’t heard Poldi’s name called once since he came onto the pitch. How does he look so far?

244. AFC says:

OZ gunner, if Carrick is England’s best DM England may not as well turn up at Brazil. 😀

245. alexgunners says:

We are not looking comfortable on the ball at all

I disagree, AFC, though he’d be a ton better if he had a decent partner in the double pivot and more confident CBs…

This is getting scary. Well played by Per there….

247. AFC says:

17ht, we have very contrasting views on Carrick. I cannot stand him and I do not rate him highly.

Look at us, protecting our lead by hoofing it long….Any 3 points are good, I guess, but our inability to kill this game speaks volumes….

249. alexgunners says:

I guess Poldi will get his chance up front

250. Highbury Harmony says:

That sounded like a ridiculous red card

251. oz gunner says:

oh well pod for next few then

OK Ollie haters–he’s out for 3 matches now….

I fear that’s our CL spot….

253. Highbury Harmony says:

It depends, if it wasn’t deemed vicious then it’ll only be one match.

254. AFC says:

17ht, even though Song is a box to box midfielder I would take him at DM over Carrick anyday.

255. Highbury Harmony says:

QPR are bloody awful

Poldi will be our striker, it’s a shame he’s injured/unfit/cannot run….Gotta hold on here or it’s done today….

257. Highbury Harmony says:

Ugh Ramsey…nice run though at that point in the game

258. Highbury Harmony says:

Sounded like a pretty boring game from our squad, but 3 points is 3 points!

259. alexgunners says:

PPPPHHHHEEEEWWWWWW,

Damn, too close for comfort. Got the 3 vital points but IMO simply not good enough.
    We currently struggle to put teams away when we have the opportunity

260. oz gunner says:

a wins a win i guess but stupid stuff from ollie, especially when we are fighting for top 4

Carrick, I think, shows up to practice on time….

We are screwed, my friends, rethink your transfer window dreams based on playing in the Europa league…Hopefully….

FT, at least we’ve survived today. Hopefully, Carrick, et al take it easy on us next Sunday…

PFFFFFFFFFFFFF we made this sooo hard for ourselves. Only excuse is this was our third game in a week, but bloody hell we missed organisational leadership today.

Got away with that one, partly thanks to an excellent linesperson!

263. oz gunner says:

thank you sunderland for keeping everton away

264. alexgunners says:

Guys,

Thanks for the company and the entertainment during the match. Time for me to go to sleep. Good Evening to all.

COYG

265. kaboom says:

like i said previously. 3 points is a must regardless how we got it. good win lads!

I bet Ollie’s card will get rescinded – definitely no three games imo.

I love our guys as much as anybody and I want (italics) for them to succeed. We are not very good, I fear….

We can still eke this out and I think a full week of practice (from here on in…) will be good.

I wonder if Poldi is fit enough to play up top. I think we might see Theo get his chance instead.

Slaap lekker Alex

269. oz gunner says:

boring as bat shit HH, I can’t remember the last time i saw us go for the jugular in a game

270. oz gunner says:

nite alex

I hope you’re correct TA but I don’t know. Once he misses the ball it looks pretty bad. I’m not even sure Wenger will challenge it. Getting him back for Newcastle could be a boost. I fear a bunch of dropped points but Spurs could match us….Might go down to the last day….

17HT

I only skim-read most of your comments in the last hour or so, but you have been making a lot of sense.

I take the three points with open arms and everything. Seven points out three games is pretty impressive. Lets look back on Monday and see how many teams will get 100% of this weeks’ games. I bet not many.

273. Highbury Harmony says:

Oz @ 16:57 hahahaha

274. Highbury Harmony says:

Looks like it’ll be a low scoring week in the UMF…

17HT, he went for the ball and just accidentally slipped over the ball…. Never a red in my view, but my stream was poor…

276. oz gunner says:

nite gents, pleasure as always

277. Highbury Harmony says:

Off to the airport for the flight back home, thanks for the footy discussion mates :). I must say, listening to the broadcast on radio was pretty interesting!

278. AFC says:

TA, no Giroud for the Man U game. Seems Podolski will have to lead the line for that match. Could be useful for us, Podolski is very clinical and has a bullet of a shot. Only problem is it would mean that all of our forward players are pretty similar.

Listening to radio and imagining the game is great, HH.

Have a good flight back and start writing that Match Report on the plane! hahahaha 😛

280. oz gunner says:

@ HH

hope you and the mrs have a safe flight back

Hi AFC 🙂

Let’s wait and see whether the card is rescinded or not.

Maybe we should recall Chamakh??? 😛

282. AFC says:

TA, probably best to wait. Quite a few bans have been overturned. 🙂

I do not see Wenger calling back Chamakh.

Only joking AFC, although he can play the Giroud role for us quite well.

Catch you later tonight.

It looks like everybody is off, but it’s early here and I feel like spewing a bit, given that I’ve had more shots of espressos than we had shots on goal today….

We got the points but we are soooooo poor. AFC might like Ramsey and Arteta but the fact that we need two guys to do the job of one is the reason Fulham outplayed us a man down. I was hoping playing with Nacho would spark Santi today but he needs others who don’t need 3 or 4 touches to get the ball under control. We are so far from playing “good” football that we’re actually playing route 1 to finish off a (mid-table) team (that has nothing to play for) AND is playing a man down. The technical limitations of our midfielders means that we can’t play for spacing and possession….

It’d be one thing if we were rock solid at the back but we’re living by our wits. Sneezy now has 2 clean sheets in a row and he (along with Per and Kos) are doing their best. Still, if RVP and his crew decide to bring it I fear a 2 or 3 goal drubbing. We might not want to admit it, but United are much, much (much) deeper than we are and Carrick working with the likes of Cleverly or Anderson and Evra (not to mention Kagawa and Rooney) is a level of quality that we cannot match. This is why, when the topic becomes transfers, my eyes just glaze over. The team needs to play the proverbial “wildcard,” but this isn’t fantasy football so we don’t have that option. We can only go forward incrementally. On the plus side, the quality in the team is so low that almost anything (including bringing in some youngsters) has a bit of promise….

At least we got the points today, so we can gloss over it until next time. Are we still paying Sidwell? If not, maybe we’re giving the linespeople something or other in the dressing room. Certainly we owe them a little something for our last two “victories”…..

Everton lose, Wigan too….Now we have to root for City and Pool, which makes me a bit ill. We’re in it to the end and our games mean “something” but geez we’re scraping the very bottom of the barrel. It’s probably “good” management that keeps us in it, but how did we get here?….

285. AFC says:

17ht, I think you misunderstood me. I do not like Ramsey. I frankly think he is not good enough to be in our first eleven and never will be. To me he offers nothing other than workrate. Arteta is doing the job of two players. He is playing as a DM and as a deep lying playmaker. He should only be performing the role of deep lying playmaker.

286. AFC says:

17ht, Arteta is not the problem. The problem is Ramsey. Arteta is playing the role of deep lying playmaker which he is performing quite well. The problem is you need a beast of a DM to play alongside a deep lying playmaker (Arteta) which we do not have.

287. AFC says:

17ht, Arteta would get into any team in the PL.

And another thing….

Playing the high line against Berbs is all fine and good…but….RVP and his minions will rip us to shreds. Man of the match Per will either need to change into somebody else or the manager will have to make the move and start. Frankly, our best bet is that Sir Alex decides to “rotate” as he used to do when Rooney would get a rest when they played at Goodison….Hopefully something along these lines was written into the transfer agreement when we sold them the title, er, Dutchman….

(TA, is “Dutch” considered an insult. I know I could look it up, but why is Netherlands–which seems like not the best name, you know since it’s my “nether” regions which I’m currently scratching….the preferred moniker–over Holland….? Pardon, my ignorance, etc., etc.)

Looking forward to the match review or something to buck up my current gloom….

(Gotcha AFC….But you gotta acknowledge the problems with Arteta who lacks the athleticism to play the position himself. Song lacked the technical skills AND the work ethic. Arteta plus a whistle happy ref can protect the ball pretty well but we need somebody who can protect it without help AND turn with it or get a range of passes off quick enough to get the offense going. Diaby is always the answer but is never available. This is our big problem. Our Captain AND his deputy would not be 1st choice on the teams ahead of us–Our Captain isn’t first choice for us, at the moment. If we need to replace the two biggest “leaders” on our team doesn’t that speak volumes?….)

Anyhow, I need to get some sun on my face or mix up my drugs (or something) to put a better gloss on what I just saw….

17HT, agreed but third game in seven days is too much for Arteta and Ramsey and they struggled in the second half.

We can play a lot, lot better than that and there is plenty of quality in the team, and you are definitely overrating the Manc midfield imo.

Next Saturday we’ll be rejuvenated! 😛

Catch you later guys.

290. AFC says:

17ht, you are overrating Man U’s midfield. Why else do you think Rooney was playing next to Carrick last match (I believe). Fletcher is out for medical reasons, Carrick is a DM and nothing more, Cleverly is not ready and still learning, Anderson I do bot know what has happened to him.

Jack, Arteta, Diaby, Cazorla, would all get into Man U’s midfield. Song would have also got into Man U’s midfield.

291. AFC says:

* not

It could be worse, we could have Phil Jones at DM.

Thanks TA, just making breakfast for my kid then we’ll go play a little tennis (we’ll ski tomorrow….) so I’ll be fine.

Indeed the United midfield is pretty poor, but I disagree with you AFC. If everybody was healthy maybe we could match them. I’d take Fletcher, Cleverly AND Jones over Ramsey…. The fact that Wilshere and Rosicky aren’t fit is a HUGE problem. Sicky was pretty good today, but still takes too many touches and uses up too much space because he’s so one-footed. Santi, as much as I love him, doesn’t want to run that much AND can’t really get by anybody (limited acceleration). Ten man Fulham had one day less rest than we did, let’s not forget….

The thing is, we can’t break teams down (though I think this might improve with Giroud out….) After 35 minutes we looked plenty leggy. Maybe if we hadn’t got the set piece goal Ox could’ve injected some life. As it was we spent the match barely surviving their breaks but not using those moments to outnumber them going back the other way. In essence we don’t play well with the ball nor without it, which is why we don’t beat the teams who can match us in player quality. In fact, at least with Sneezy in goal, we’re as much a Route One team as anything else these days. Hoofing it long to Giroud won’t be an option so we’ll get to test all the theories about our big guy and won’t even have this option (I really don’t think Wenger will even appeal it)… Can we play the ball out of our own half and can our midfield make chances for Poldi and/or Theo? Maybe, but on today’s evidence I wouldn’t hold my breath….

I don’t mean to paint too bleak a picture but I just get the feeling that we’re being held together with baling wire and duct tape (as we like to say) and we’re counting on Spurs to be Spurs. I love that you guys think a signing (or five….) will make the difference and get us where we want to be. From what I see we have a very slow climb ahead of us and I see it as more of a 3-5 year plan–A war of attrition. Wenger, at least, has the guys digging deep and giving it their all. I think the best thing we may see all summer is that nobody is really in for any of our guys because none of the ones (who are healthy enough) seem like “difference-makers.” Continuity will be good, but we’re essentially hoping everybody gets worse (which is happening, IMO) while we stay the same….

Sorry….

293. AFC says:

17ht, I would take Fletcher over Ramsey so I agree with you there. Cleverly is an AM so why would you take him ahead of Ramsey for DM who is more defensive. That does not make much sense. Ramsey is better than Cleverly at DM.

Phil Jones is an average CB, below average RB and a poor DM. He does not have any of the technical attributes to play as a successful DM. He can tackle, is quite strong but that is it. He cannot distribute the ball very well and keep possession. Kos and Verm would do a much better job at DM that Jones anyday.

294. Bond James says:

where did my comment disappear, i swear i spent like 15 minutes writing it and then posting it…arghhh

295. AFC says:

BJ, sorry to hear that. Your comment may be in moderation which TA may be able to sort it out for you.

AFC, I don’t know why you’re talking positions here. Ramsey is suddenly a DM? Last year he was an AM (Cesc’s replacement). Frankly he and Jones are utility players (as is Fletcher and Ji Sung Park, before him) and they’re ALL better than Ramsey, at least from a technical perspective. Ramsey, I fear would’ve been in the group of United players (Park, Fabio) going down with QPR had he signed with them instead of us. Cleverly isn’t as good as Jack, but he’s staying fit whereas we must all touch as much wood as we can (that’s for Glic….) that Jack can get to that place….

In my opinion (my opinion only….) Wenger doesn’t see things nearly as rigidly as you (and other writers) do. Ramsey streams forward even though he’s got no shot. Rosicky does likewise (two goals at WBA notwithstanding). If Arteta could get forward he would (and he did have a very good chance vs Everton). Everybody is supposed to cover for everybody else. The problem is that when Ramsey can’t control balls at pace it’s a turnover. When he can’t see poaching defenders it’s a turnover. When he has to take 4 or 5 (right footed) touches to control a ball then passes it backwards it’s not a turnover but the defense gets to re-set. He’s got the engine to do all these things (winky face) and he’s unafraid to get stuck in (despite the horror injury) but is this what we really need?….There’s a reason that Arteta (and Kos and Vermaelen) aren’t getting forward this season and it’s not because AW (or Bouldy) tell them that can’t….

Also, Kos and Verm have never been played at DM. You and I may think it’s a cool idea but so is buying Messi….Why would we believe there’s any chance (in hell) that it could happen?

I appreciate the debate (and the enthusiasm) and the ability to spin things positively (I usually take up that task when people are picking on players after a bad result)…. Overall, I think playing MF in England is a (very) thankless task. The better refs (following Webb) will protect the players but others are cowed by the “keep the game moving” dogma. Until we get a healthier, more robust group we are in trouble and it actually makes sense for us to be playing like an Allardyce team. It ain’t pretty, but it’s what it is….

Here’s to the 3 points, however….

297. AFC says:

17ht, I know Kos and Verm have never played DM but they would do a better job than Jones. Jones better than Ramsey technically. You must be joking. Cleverly has never played DM (when I have seen him play). Asking Cleverly to play DM is like asking Rosicky to play DM.

I’d like to hear what BJ has to say….

AFC, Do you prove my point when you suggest you would take a player already out for the ENTIRE season and with a serious, chronic medical issue (Fletcher) over Ramsey? Would we be better playing Le Coq? Like Giroud, I think Ramsey’s hard work is key for getting this team to the finish line, but also like the big guy there are times when technical ability trumps hard work. Coquelin (and Giroud) need to lose the “I’m a speared fish” thing in front of the refs, but I fear we’re going to lose the former because of lack of opportunities….a problem that comes when every match is life or death and we need to play the “known quantities”….

299. AFC says:

17ht, you are comparing our worst midfielder against some of United’s best midfielders. Jones will never be better than Ramsey. Cleverly and Jones better DMs than Ramsey. Not for me.

For me, when I say technically I mean also, being able to run and use your body effectively. Jones is much bigger (important, esp. in England) and he can cover some ground. As a converted defender (like Song) he brings those elements to the game. Like I say, a utility player. And like you say, Ramsey isn’t first 11 material (except that he is, at the moment). I “like” Ramsey and I know you do too. I just think that we’re agreeing here but that you don’t like what it says about the current state of the team that Ramsey’s heart and engine are what we’re relying on to get through this run in. If the manager starts believing likewise (and it prevents other players coming to the team or getting chances) we’ve got more serious issues….

301. AFC says:

17ht, your Fletcher point does not make much sense. Any team in the PL, Man U included would take Diaby. Diaby is the second best traditional box to box midfielder in the PL behind Yaya. Diaby is better than all of Man U current midfielders.

302. AFC says:

The England national team is pretty much fucked, so Jones playing in a number of positions of England means nothing.

It’s (kinda) fun to try and outwrite you, AFC, though I know it’s a losing battle….Like I say, your energy and enthusiasm are awesome….

Now, however, my kid is getting down on me for my computer time (as we do with him). So, please, please, let BJ’s posts go through so I can hand the baton to him….We got the three points today and I’ll be looking for us to dominate United’s midfield next Sunday….Or maybe long balls to (more clinical) Lu-lu will make it all moot….

Laters….

304. AFC says:

Alway enlightening to speak to you 17ht, speak to you soon. 🙂

Wow, I can’t quite let that go….

Diaby is the 2nd best something or other….How many goals this year, how many assists, how many passes completed, how many minutes played? Go to the fantasy site and tell me how many points Diaby has. Ramsey IS better simply because he got over his injury….

I love Diaby and hope he can get back to play football for us (or at all), but seriously, this is like the last post match discussion where you were talking up Bendtner, Arshavin and Denilson—Complete fantasy and idealism.

Sorry (and no offense….) but I prefer living in the real world and my kid needs me there, at the moment….

You win….

306. AFC says:

17ht, do you know what a traditional box to box midfielder is?

If you do, then you will know that Diaby is one of the best box to box midfielders in the PL. You must be deluded not to be able to know this.

307. AFC says:

If I am chatting shit and fantasy about Diaby, you name me the traditional box to box midfielders better than Diaby. Infact you can tell me the names of the traditional and modern box to box midfielders that are better than Diaby.

308. AFC says:

17ht, I am not one to argue but I will say this.

I do not know what your problem is with me. You make these personal comments to me and then try to turn them into jokes You might just be a hater. Who knows? But for you to say that I do not live in reality and you do, is utter bullshit. I do not live in the fantasy. Every comment I say is shit according to you. What you have said today is utter shit.

Phil Jones is better technically than Ramsey. You must be having a fucking laugh. If you want we can put this question to the other bloggers on this site and most will disagree with you. Just like when you said that Cleverly is a better DM than. Cleverly has never played DM as far as I know. You then overrate the Man U midfield. Diaby is one of the best box to box midfielders in the PL. You then come out with some fucking pathetic comment about Diaby. Something to about how many goals or some other shit.

Read some of the utter crap you have wrote today before telling me that I do not live in the real world. I am done with you.

309. AFC says:

17ht, I am a very easy going person but when haters like you keep trying to undermine everything I say, I do not appreciate it. You have the right to agree or disagree with me. But when you start making personal comments to me about my believes on Arsenal and players get them right before you do. You do not even know me and have not even blogged with me for a good length of time to know all of my views on Arsenal and players. So stop fucking making false assumptions about me. Who the fuck do you think you are to tell me, what my own views are.

AFC, just heading out….Geez….I kinda don’t know what to say….

To repeat myself about “traditional” positions, Wenger doesn’t think of things this way. Also, I haven’t seen enough of Diaby to say what sort of midfielder he is and I don’t think you or anybody else has either. In my opinion (my opinion only….) it is a completely different and (almost) completely uninteresting thing to talk about players who cannot play. (Was it DiStefano or Puskas who was the real center of 1950s Real Madrid….)

I’ll be watching Carrick and whoever they play next weekend against Ramsey and Arteta and whoever we play and I’ll be thinking of some of what you have said. Maybe you’ll do likewise.

However, to bring in hypotheticals and ready made definitions and suggest that the discussion must purely be on your terms….And to call me deluded (and now worse) is as disrespectful as me calling your transfer ideas absurd (or suggesting that your notions of bringing back players who will never wear an Arsenal shirt again are equally so)…. I’d prefer to keep things a little more real and a lot more respectful. But, seeing as you CAN outwrite me (much as I would say that Ramsey IS a better player than Diaby simply because he’s not currently on crutches….) you win again. Still, I think you might want to re-think your approach if you want us “squad players” to feel good about coming around. With your last comment I guess you don’t want me round these parts. Sometimes I’m told I should write posts for BK, other times I should fuck off….

I guess I should consider myself banned, eh?….

311. AFC says:

I have no problem with you writing for this site or blogging on this site. The site belongs to TA NOT me.

But what I do not like is when you make personal comments about me and my believes.

312. AFC says:

You are not banned. Only TA who is the owner of this site has the right to ban people. I do not.

313. AFC says:

You are not banned! Only TA who is the owner of this site has the right to ban people! I do not!

314. Danny says:

In other news, arsenal beat fulham today… (drums?)

315. AFC says:

And just for the note, I have only ever made those comments to you.

I respect all of the other bloggers on this site. they respect me. I have never made personal rude comments to a blogger on this site and neither have other bloggers made personal rude comments to me on this site.

Hey guys, 17HT and AFC 🙂

I reckon a lot is getting lost in cyber translation. You are both fantastic bloggers on BK, who mean well with other bloggers and are passionate and insightful about Arsenal.

I have no problems with the style of blogging of either of you, but it looks like both of you can be sensitive to each other styles, and perhaps too much is being read between the lines that might not be there.

Please shake cyber-hands and start discussing again without making personal remarks. 🙂

317. AFC says:

TA, I have never made those type of comments before but I felt I had to, when personal comments were being said about me which are not true.

I am happy to forget today and move on. 🙂

318. Bond James says:

how did we manage to win, remains a mystery to me

Arteta is a real weak link in this team, who will always need another player alongside him so he can side pass or back pass, instead of driving it forward – with all due respect to arteta and taking into account 3 games in 7 days i do feel that because of him we play with “a handbrake on”(wenger’s words)….obviously it’s not his fault that he has been asked to play in this role but we will get slaughtered against MANCS next week – they had Arteta in their back pocket when we lost 2-1 to them (should have been 4-0, considering the amount of chances they had and a missed penalty from rooney)…..he was our weak link back then and if Wenger doesn’t do something about it now by changing it a little, perhaps bring Coq/TV in that role and play Arteta in Ramsey’s role ? we do need a tactical change…..

they say don’t fix it if it’s not broken but i say, why wait until it’s broken ? (we didn’t deserve any points today, to get all 3 was a massive bonus).

i have said it before and i will say it again, you know we have played rubbish when our best player has been Ramsey.

on a more positive note, Giroud is banned for the next 3 – blessing in disguise for sure

PS: that was the comment i had posted before, 17highburyterrace but never got published maybe it was a blip from my end.

Hi all.. wakeup early.. hehe.. 4 am in Indonesia.. still can’t sleep.. after a big cried of my lovely daughter.. yoona the goona.. finding her mom milk factory.. haha..

Lastnight was great.. Fulham always give us a hard game.. and their giant hangeland was awesome.. I wonder why don’t We get him before he continue his contract with fulham..

It was good also to my umf prediction.. 5 point from 3 games.. another 5 point tonight.. hehehe..
    Although Everton made me lost my point.. hehe.. but I’m happy for that.. they should lost sooner again us..

Giroud’s red card maybe just an advantage for us.. like when We lost wilshere before..
    Maybe Podolski will find his way to the CF position.. and who knows will be great.. hehe..

I don’t really like Santi lastnight.. Wenger should replace him insteed of Rosicky..
    Nacho also not playing as good as usuall.. I don’t know why.. maybe a lot of rest make him slown a little bit.. hehe..

But.. We win guys.. hahaha..
    Just hope my prediction will be right.. City win and Chelsea draw.. then We will be still on 3rd.. hehe..

Yoona the Goona..

320. AFC says:

Hi, BJ.

Arteta is our deep lying playmaker, so it would not be good to replace him. Right now he is performing the role of DM and deep lying playmaker which he should not be doing. We need that beast of a DM to play alongside Arteta.

Hey, back from tennis….lovely weather here today and Arsenal took the three points, we should all be feeling pretty good….

Once again, I’m sorry if my opinions or statements got misinterpreted….

Unfortunately, I don’t quite know where to go from here, and you’re right, TA, I’m definitely a bit sensitive to be called “deluded” and told that I write “utter crap.” Also, I don’t like being called a “hater.” I don’t think I made such sweeping statements about you, AFC, but if you feel I did, I most certainly apologize.

In general, among writers of a certain quality, I feel as if the “terms of the debate” can be as open to opinion and debate as anything else. I get the sense that this isn’t necessarily the case around here and that some ideas are codified at a deeper level. Suggesting alternatives or questioning definitions may seem (to some) like treading on sacred ground. I think this is where I might’ve made the critical mis-step and maybe I just need to read more and figure it out.

Anyhow, I’d like to end this on a happier note and enjoy the rest of my day. Here’s to the three points and nobody hurt (I don’t think)–except the feelings of a couple of bloggers!!… 🙂

322. Bond James says:

Hi AFC,

actually when we do get a proper DM then it’s hard to find a starting place for Arteta in this current Arsenal team (which i assume will get stronger with some more welcome additions).

i disagree , i wouldn’t play him against Man utd, decent managers will always close out Arteta and make no mistake, all decent managers have had so far….mancs had him in their pockets at old trafford,

i have no doubt in my mind that it will be the same case again if we persist with arteta/ramsey combination.

a tactical change is a must, release santi from the left flank and bring him back to the center – use the players you have for the left and right and we’ll be fine.

323. Bond James says:

and jack wilshere needs to go under the knife at the end of the season, bugger

324. AFC says:

BJ, can you see Wenger dropping Arteta next season. I don’t.

Next season I think we will continue with a 4-2-1-3 formation with Arteta and our new DM holding and Jack in front and Santi on one of the flanks.

Also, I see your point on Carroll but do you think his finishing is better than Giroud’s?

New Post New Post 🙂

326. Bond James says:

Arteta’s not getting any younger, he can be a valuable squad player but not a first starter for me next season, provided we do get a DM.

if santi continues to play on the flanks next season then i doubt we will be winning much or any silver – this will only mean we haven’t got those quality 3-4 players everyone wanted hence santi has had to play on the flanks – it’s not a position he seems to be comfortable playing and offers us no width none whatsoever.

let’s put it this way, give Carroll half the chances our midfielders gave Giroud and would have had 20+ goals easily.

Giroud needs competition not only in this team but also in the squad , if he is to become better and more clinical.

at the moment we’re 2 strikers short (one world class or lethal (lewaondoski/Cavani/Joveic/Suarez/Hiquain) and a decent one (Carroll/Remy/Vela/Bendtener)

17HT

All football opinions are welcome and yes you can expect not to be called names. In the heat of debate this can happen and I hope you and AFC make up and have many fine, future debates.

AFC, I think 17HT has got a point re the name-calling.