Theo’s three in three invaluable – TV for Arteta – Ramsey new Parlour?

Arsenal-vs-Reading-7-5

Twenty-four hours later and our victory over Wigan still feels very good. After a number of recent ‘one-nil to the Arsenal’ scores it was great to score four goals, and have all three attackers involved in either goals or assists. Arsenal needed this game to give us new momentum, and with that the believe and energy that we can finish the job against The Magpies this weekend.

A lot has been said about the need to introduce a more complete defensive midfielder this summer, but it cannot be denied that the combination of Ramsey and Arteta is working for us right now. At times,  these two remind me of MU’s Carrick and Fletcher in previous seasons: solid midfielders with little flair but with a great work-rate and positional awareness. These are not the sort of footballers that will keep you awake at night, but they are like the feet of the swan working their socks off, allowing it to move graciously along. Not that we have been gracious  a lot in recent months, but I hope you get the gist…

We all know that Arteta brings this to the party, but the current player of the month, Rambo, might now have found his  niche within the team, by occupying the spot next to El  Zorro. There is little doubt in my mind that Arsene needs to make changes in midfield over the summer, but he will be very glad that the Rambo-Arteta tandem, among other changes, has made such a difference in the final, and most vital, part of the season.

Ramsey could well become our Parlour of this decade, as he has a similar drive and great motor, and does not mind to do the dirty work at all. Any good team can do with a player in the squad – not necessarily in the first-eleven – who brings such energy and commitment in midfield, and Ramsey fits this role really well. We should also take into account that he is effectively only 21, having missed up to 1.5 years as a result of his horrific leg-break. He will get better, possibly much better in coming seasons, and it is essential now to keep him in the squad.

The injury to Arteta is quite a worry right now. We know from the previous season we can struggle if and when Arteta does not play, so hopefully his injury is not too bad.

But let’s have a look at how Arsenal can replace him. Wilshere does not look fully fit and it is questionable whether he can play an entire game, so a combination of Rambo and him does not look like a good option. We could try Coquelin and Rambo, but the Frenchman did not have many games in the first team, and I for one, would feel uncomfortable bringing him into our crucial game against NU.

As a few others have mentioned on the blog in the last twenty-four hours, Vermaelen would be a very good option to play next to Ramsey. He would bring extra steel – tackling and aerial power – and energy, and I am sure he would be really up for it. Key would be for him to stay calm and time his tackles well, and as he could be a bit rusty, there is some risk of this. I am not entirely sure how good he would be at reading the game in midfield, but I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, as his other qualities will be very valuable at least. So Vermaelen-Rambo for me on Sunday.

Finally, I like to say something about Theo. How important has he been for us in the last few games? Scored the only goal against QPR – two points worth – the only goal against MU – one point worth – and scored the all-important second against Wigan last night. Theo with consistency would be as valuable as Ronaldo, but he clearly is not of that calibre; although, he is also still young and will develop further.

His stats this season are fantastic again and what an important (re)signing he has been for us. And when he goes through a difficult patch again, let’s stay behind him and know that sooner or later he will bring home the bacon again.

Written by: TotalArsenal.

Please note: posts on BK tend to come out in the evenings, but sometimes at different times of the day. If you would like to be made aware of a new post coming out, you can sign up for email alerts. See right side of blog and enter your details in ‘Follow blog via email’.

164 Responses to Theo’s three in three invaluable – TV for Arteta – Ramsey new Parlour?

1. jgc says:

Lucky 1st? 😉

Great post TA. I think on the blog we have noted how Sagna might be good in a DM like role. But TV also maybe. In a shortage of such midfielders he might be the sort.

I think the real question to the team chosen will be OG and Rosicky. If OG comes on and Rosicky stays on, then either Pod goes off or moves wide. Moving Cazorla where.

The conundrum is do you come out attacking (Cazorla and Rosicky with Rambo in the middle) or making sure your defense is screened well (Rambo and Arteta/TV with Rosicky in front and Cazorla wide)?

For teams that like to press us I prefer the defensive option as they will be open to Theo and others at pace on the counter. For a team that sits back, the offensive option may be better.

Thus, will NU press hard or sit back more?

cheers — jgc

2. jgc says:

Of course Arteta may come right or right enough for the first 60 mins … A guy can dream anyway! 🙂

— jgc

3. jgc says:

Argh

I should have added to my original post that, for me, one big thing Arteta brings is teh ability to be both those approaches to the game, more defensive, but also the passing and creative ability to open up teams who sit back more…

More scarily, our stats without him are not so very pretty!

cheers — jgc

4. Bond James says:

nice one, TA

or we can bring in Giroud, play Poldi wide and let rambo and rosicky play together with santi ahead of them ?

theo is a man possessed , signing of the season for us ! (ok, that award should go to santi but i hope you all know what i mean).

by the way, our summer signings seem to be promising, considering the last 3 signings wenger made decent;) am already looking forward to the official announcements re our new signings 😀

Good points jgc 🙂

I reckon, Arsene will stick with the defensive/conservative approach and will look to add a player who can defend rather than Santi or Rosicky who are likely to stretch our midfield vertically too often.

I also feel that Rosicky might be left out and Cazorla will move back in the middle (with Giroud up-front and Pod on the left).

BJ 🙂

He is the signing of the season for, as he did not cost us anything… 😀

You just cannot wait till the season is over so you can talk forever about TRANSFERS! :p

7. marcus says:

Great Article TA,
    I’m still buzzing over the win. You have captured most of what we are all thinking and feeling. I still think though we need to bring in a Beastly DM, except now this gives us options. We could play the DM, partnered by Jack and Santi, or we can play Rambo and Arteta partnered with Rosicky. Or simply rotate based on the circumstances.

How awesome was Theo though? He was simply magnificent. If only he could sustain that form. So was Cazorla. And Poldi. Although Poldi needs to really work on his movement if he’s going to be playing up front.

I’ve also been thinking about playing TV5 as a DM. He may have lost a bit of form but he is still a top quality player. Strong in the tackle, can read the game fantastically, technically astute, great in the air AND we know he has goals in him. Plus we all know we’ll get 100% from him every time he plays. The more you think about it, the more it makes sense. Maybe a positional change would help him reinvent himself and hit the form we know he can.

Finally, I’m a bit disappointed you’ve left out Koscielny. My word he is a world class defender. Nothing seems to get past him. As in really. You can’t beat him for pace, you can’t beat him in one on ones, you cant beat him in the air (his reading of the game, positional sense and athleticism make up for his average height)..And this is from watching him since he was reintroduced into the side. He deserved a mention alongside Theo, Rambo and Santi.

8. AFC says:

TA, fine post as usual. 🙂

I will start with saying that Walcott is underrated by a lot of football fans and pundits. His goals and assists record this season is good and do not forget that in the beginning of the season he was not even starting/playing matches.

Regarding our midfield options for next match (if Arteta is out injured) are as follows:

1) Play Wilshere next to Arteta (this is what Wenger is likely to do in my opinion).

2) Play Vermaelen next Ramsey. Vermaelen would be a better option than Coquelin as Vermaelen has played more matches than Coquelin this season and is more experienced however Coquelin has more experience at DM than Vermaelen.

3) Play Rosicky next to Ramsey. It can be done and Rosicky has played deeper before. He is experienced enough to perform such a role.

Cheers Marcus 🙂

Agreed on the need for the beast aka Wanyama hahaha 🙂

Yes Koz and BFG deserve to be mentioned too, but so does Sir Szes. One of the best things of the season is the establishment of that triangle. Something to build the future on.

10. Milo says:

This comment stems from the previous article…

BJ, you can’t even remember what you wrote??? You said that “Milo, or some other Ramsey fans will jump to his defense.” Having already been critical of Ramsey’s performance in the previous article, you then assume that I will STILL defend him??? You seem to think you are a clever boy, maybe even downright funny, but I’m not stupid, I got the implication that I am a “Ramsey supporter.” Having already told HH that I am NOT biased towards Ramsey, I don’t really want to tell you the same, but I guess I will have to seeing as you are too lazy or unable to read my comments. I like all of our players, and respect and admire all the divers abilities they bring to the club. We can’t have 11 Cazorlas out there, because we would not be able to defend for beans. Therefore, the defensive shift and determination Arteta and Ramsey bring, is invaluable to our cause. In conclusion, I would suggest you stop trying to be so clever, and actually read all the comments before making assumptions.

11. AFC says:

It is at times like this where Diaby is really missed.

12. Fred says:

Whilst previously I have been a strong advocate of TV at DM, I have to say in such an important game I am a bit adverse to this experiment. IF Wilshere is ok to play against newcastle this weekend before he goes under the knife, I would prefer to see him and Rambo in holding mid. So the starting line up would be….

………………….Scz…..
    Sagna……Mert…..Kosh……Gibbs
    ………….Rambo…..Wilshere
    ………………….Rosicky
    Walcott………….Giroud……..Cazorla

In such an important game, where we could potentially get third place I feel we need to play our strongest XI and for me that is the best starting XI we have, then on the bench we have the likes of Podolski and the Ox as impact subs. However, this entirely depends on if Jack is available to play, if not then I seem to remember the Ox previously playing at CM and Wenger saying he sees his future in the middle of the park so prehaps he could be a surprise choice to accompany Rambo.

13. Bond James says:

haha, TA

don’t blame me when every day there are so many names we’re apparently signing on a pre contract and so on, it’s hard not to keep mentioning signings, suffice to say i am excited by most of the names being linked to us (even jovetic if we got him for less than 18 million 😀

but apologies for hijacking your article sort of,

someone mentioned Sagna being a DM for us, i actually quite like that option as well and it won’t be a risk as such, if it is a risk then a very calculated one for sunday, if anything we will be more stronger defensively and this will allow Jenko to play as well and make those runs forward….however, this may hinder the sagna /theo understanding (not that they do have a great one at present but still it’s a combination)

14. AFC says:

Hi Fred, 🙂 I was thinking possibly Rosicky but well done for highlighting that the Ox is another option.

15. AFC says:

BJ, I think changing the back four be bad. Sagna is more experienced than Jenks and is need at RB in my opinion. He also with our other defenders and midfielders. I know Sagna can play as a CB but not sure he can DM.

16. Glic says:

I like the post Totes, which is verified by my handsome face above !. 🙂
    However, I do not understand this craving for the Verm to be DM. It could be a master stroke or a complete choke, seeing as he has never ( to my mind ) played there for Arsenal and imo he wouldn`t have the stamina of say Ramsey, I think it would be the latter !.
    These CB`s like Verm and Koz are used to doing nothing for most matches other than having a cup of tea and doing a crossword as most of the time our midfield engines are keeping possession between theirselves whilst the CB`s rest, so they can use their speed and pace to cut out any danger !.
    Sagna would probably be a better bet as FB`s , wingbacks , whatever you want to call them are used to running up and down the flanks , so have more stamina, not to mention that they are by trade defenders as well !. Though I think we have normal cover in the midfield department anyway !.
    Personally, I want to see more of the Ox, he comes on for bit parts and has an immediate effect of causing danger every time. I`d like to see him on the left and Theo on the right with Pod or Giroud in the middle. Santi pulling the strings in the middle, with Jack and Rambo sitting deeper. Keep Gibbs and Sagna as WB`s with Koz and Mert CB`s. Lots of pace down the flanks for attacking and defending. Terry will finally get his 5-0 !.

After that lot, you will think…..so that’s why he talks crap and doesn`t do the tactical stuff !. hahahaha

17. Bond James says:

if i remember correctly then we played

song – ox- rosicky in the midfield in that 3-0 win against AC Milan

no reason why we can’t play ramsey/ox/rosicky or ramsey/rosicky/ox

OX has been unlucky this season , he has been under played for me.

18. Fred says:

True Rosicky could be good at the back as a deep lying playmaker, although I still have doubts over his defensive quality. In my opinion we need someone who can out muscle Newcastle in the middle of the pitch, especially if you look at some of their midfielders whom are very physically strong, we can at expect at least one of tiote or Sissoko to play this weekend, so I think we need a resilient DM pairing and if Wilshere can play then he should play in this position, as surely he and ramsey are the core of our midfield in the future?

It is times like this where we really miss Diaby as he would be straight into the starting XI. However, as things stand I will stick with my starting line up that I mentioned above, maybe with the exception of Monreal instead of Gibbs.

However, I do think that next season we should convert TV to DM and we should start doing this during pre-season. Then buy another CB who can also cover at RB during the TW.

19. AFC says:

Glic, top comment my friend. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Fred, I am with you all the way, but it looks Jack is not fit enough.

21. Gbangu says:

TV will be ok. Also the front 3 cd be Theo, Giroud and Polditwhile Carzo back to the hole

22. AFC says:

Fred, Diaby is class and by far in the top three box to box midfielders in the PL. He would probably still dominate the midfield against Newcastle in a stretcher. 😀

BJ

You talk about TW stuff as much as you like and agreed the names that are being linked with us are exciting, very exciting. 🙂

24. AFC says:

* on a stretcher

25. Ogban says:

I’d play Coquelin alongside Ramsey.

26. Fred says:

TA, Damn… There goes my hopes of Wilshere playing, I do have a feeling we may be in for a surprise in the formation without Jack. With potentially either the Ox, Rosicky or TV moving to DM alonside Rambo or potentially….

…………..scz
    Sagna…..Mert…..Kosh…..Gibbs
    ……………………Ramsey
    ……………..Santi……….Rosicky
    Theo……………….Giroud……….Podolski.

Super comment GLiC 😛

Maybe the reason TV has not been a success in defence this season is him having too much stamina/hunger….. have you thought of that one oh mighty Lover of Isco?

28. Bond James says:

let’s sack AW and get in Glic as the new manager of AFC , he would do one fine job with his tactics (don’t ask me what ones) 😀

so the secret is out, no wonder Theo looked like a man possessed (i bet the hair dryer was coming in his direction)

Diaby is class but even more glass…..

I like the thought of Rosicky next to Rambo – had not thought about that one. Could be a very good option…

30. AFC says:

TA, I think Rosicky played next to Song during some parts of the last two seasons.

31. Bond James says:

rambo and rosicky with santi ahead and poldi on the left with giroud in the center and theo on the right should be a no brainer really, this is the most likely combination wenger might try out.

Fred, AFC

The only risk I see is whether Rosicky would be disciplined enough defensively, and of course, whether he can deal with the physical demands of the position. But it is a good option.

33. AFC says:

BJ, I think Glic should be appointed manager of Man City. They need a manager who can actually win things with a squad that might actually be worth more than Abramovich. 😀

34. Bond James says:

you’re right, he should be appointed the manager of man city not because of the reasons you have stated, AFC

he should be man city’s manager purely because they are likely to sign ISCO 😀

35. AFC says:

RA, he is not ideal in a defensive sense however he makes up for his with his experience. Just like Sagna could fill in at CB when needed, I think Rosicky can fill in at DM/CM. The Ox might not be disciplined enough to play next to Ramsey but I think Rosicky is. Saying that the Ox was a CM before Wenger converted him into a winger.

36. debesay says:

What about the Ox partnering Rambo? He did very well there last year vs Milan. Rambo in the dip role though.

You might be right, AFC. I am both excited and nervous of Rosicky in the Arteta role….

38. AFC says:

TA, maybe Ramsey could do more of the defensive, physical work?

39. Glic says:

Did someone mention Isco ?………BOING !.

I read on newsnow that Pellegrini will take Isco with him to Man City if he gets the job !. Bastard !.

PS
    Obvious, this is between me and you`s, but has anyone ever had a tattoo removed from their cock ? or will it be less painfull to start supporting Man City ?.

AFC, good point. I reckon Ramsey needs good defensive support in midfield though.

Hi debesay

Ox in the middle would be a very attacking option, and I am not sure that is what Wenger is going to do/risk. I would love to see more of Ox in the middle, t hough.

42. AFC says:

TA, quite a while ago I was reading that before Arteta was at Everton he was played as a DM/deep lying playmaker and then Everton brought him and played him AM and he became a top player, so should we be playing Arteta further forward (as our CAM) next season to get the best out of him?

hahaha Glic – BOING!

AFC, hard to say what would be best for Arteta. But a great player to have next season, and to use in various positions. What do you think?

45. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, will respond to your article a bit later but Ramsey is 22 not 21 🙂

46. Bond James says:

hold your horses, Gleek

both me and AFC very much want you to become man city’s next manager, we have already started a petition as well, which currently has 2 signatures.

we all want you to be united with ISCO.

TA, you do seem very nervous knowing Arteta may not play, well if anyone should be nervous then it’s CFC as if they slip (Which they well might do against everton) then we’re gonna over take them , Fellaini will show them what they’re missing and what they been trying to sign for the last 18 months (i do feel they may buy Fellaini this year if Moyes doesn’t take him to man utd).

He is 22 HH, but if you deduct 1.5 years of injury hen he just got 21…. Are you with me? 😛

48. AFC says:

TA, I would have Arteta playing in the hole but as he is getting older I think playing him as a deep lying playmaker is the position for him.

49. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, age does not work in such a way ;). If anything the injury has deducted life on his playing career as complications often occur later in one’s career after such a serious injury.

50. Highbury Harmony says:

The risk of re-aggravating an injury is exponentially higher than had a player never been injured before.

I am not quickly nervous BJ 😛

I reckon it is a key area and going with past experiences, Arteta can be hard to replace..

I think the Chavs will be full of confidence and adreneline now… unfortunately..

HH, I was referring to his time to learn things 😉 😉

53. Bond James says:

as were Wigan, TA as were Wigan

i watched the whole game, Chelsea were quite lucky, it was all benfica in the first half

without hazard i am going to fancy everton least getting a draw if not winning

football is a team sport, fortunately we no longer rely on one individual or a couple of them, this is the beauty of this current team and squad, we can cope well with injuries (especially in the 2nd half), note how we have done well without wilshere, no reason why we can’t win against newcastle, besides it’s proper france playing against mini france 😀

But Wigan were not playing at homeo BJ

55. AFC says:

BJ, Newcastle have more French players than us and Wenger is French. Newcastle could probably enter Ligue 1 next season they have so many French players. 😀

56. Bond James says:

precise the point, TA, we play better away from home or less likely to play with a “handbrake” on 😀 we should be alright (fingers crossed).

hahahahah true @ AFC

Catch you all tomorrow guys. 🙂

58. AFC says:

I’m off as well. Catch everyone tomorrow. 🙂

59. jnyc says:

AFC, great point reminding usvthat Theo got very few play in the first quarter of the season or so. His stats are more impressive with that in mind. I feel that when he got his deal, he lost a bit of hunger. But it seems to be back.
    —- i had been thinking Rosicky if Arteta cant go. I think his experience, and a little reminder from the boss to think more defensively would be enough.
    —i love tommy v,( though still excellent third choice cb ) but this is no time to experiment, and he is mistake prone even in his natural position. I also like coquelin, but he hasnt had any playing time to use in a match this big. Ox, any time but not with champs lge on the line! Those are three BIG 30 MILLION RISKS.

60. Devil says:

Its down to Sunday then, eh? Reminds me of last season. Spurs winning at home, we are drawing or something and then Koz scoring. Good times. Seems like pretty much the same will happen this time. NU has its both first choice keepers out so they’re on their third choice keeper. So we should test him as often as we can.

I think we may go for nice 5-4-1 where TV will work as a sweeper. That will give both the FBs to roam a lot more freely and we’d have cover when our MF is bypassed. I’d go with slighter conservative approach for this one where my attitude would be safety first and hit on counter as much as possible.

No predictions but i hope its a massive win.

61. dz says:

Coquelin with ramsey and walcott , santi and the ox behind Giroud…..

62. Red Arse says:

Morning TA, 🙂

Theo has been playing much better in the last few matches, and I understand why you think so much of him. Surprise, surprise, for me he is OK but not special, but certainly worth his place in the team, and who can argue with his goals? 🙂

I like the idea of TV in midfield and said so long ago. Just cannot see it happening, and that is a pity.

Another very good Post, and pop up so frequently and with such quality it is like they are peas popping out of a pod. (no pun intended). 😀

Morning all….count down starts now for Super Sunday…….Nail biting times.

That Glicster sure is a smart dude when he wants to be. 😉

Hi all..
    Yes.. I’m agree with you TA.. Vermaelen the captain will replace the vice-captain.. hahaha.. (who is the real captain anyway.. hehehe..)

As I said before Sagna and Coquelin will be out of our team next season.. as well as Vermaelen.. escpecially if Wenger bring another CB..
    Coquelin really hope to played this season.. as he was warm the bench last season.. but we all know.. Wenger prefer Ramsey.. and I loved his desicion..
    Sagna defence better than attack.. Jenkinson attack better than defence.. Just like Nacho and Gibbs.. And Sagna crossing were poor this season.. so losing him will never really a lost.. if we can bring another solid RB..
    Vermaelen.. almost all the time I complaining for our captain solidity.. he loved to play an AM style in first half season.. but better lately.. sorry for him that Kosc and Merte made a solid chemestry.. so that no place for our captain there..

Some rumours said that our Santi may be join his former manager Pellegrini to City.. hehehehe.. But I don’t think so.. The true is we will bring Isco to Emirates.. hahaha..

Good morning/afternoon fellow G’s 🙂

Thanks for comments overnight and in morning.

Henry, Isco to Emirates is double-BOING for Glic! hahaha 🙂

Redders, I know how you feel about Theo and I am half way between OK and GREAT with Theo 😉

Devil

Loved your last sentence 😛

66. Hello Broke Back Bergkampesque Bastards !.

Dr Glic here.

I sit here looking out of my window watching my puppy run about outside with some of my naked Lesbanians………hold on a sec` !……..if my puppy is outside…….who the f**k is sniffing my arse and licking my balls ?………phew !….it`s OK…… I sat on the false teeth that the bastard VCC sent to me !, the shiny f**kers are smiling at me, they are however not as shiny as Terry Mancini Teeth Transplant`s ones !. F**k me, they are so bright, that an alien on a planet in the Caninus Testiclus Solar system in our galaxy looks up to the night sky and says ….”Daddy, isn`t that the brightest star in the Universe ? “…..” No Jabba, that is some Bastards f**king teeth from the Syrupus Minus System, just past where we sent a probe up to Uranus ! “.

Today bastards, I shall try and sit on the fence and be neutral in a look at the bastard Kroenke and give you an insight in to why he is a tight Khunt and why most importantly he has no vision and doesn`t see !.
    Basically it all boils down to him being a slap head !. If truth be known, it`s not all his fault as he is just a victim like many, of the discrimination of syrups wearers and comb overs, which only recently ended with the introduced technology of transplants !.
    A brief history will give you some idea. First of all, it was all started by cave women, not cave men, who used to drag their men into the cave by their hair. Only the men with strong follicles survived baldness !. Since then through out history, there has been documentation of the plight of the Comb overs and syrupers and also of the great explorers looking for cures etc`.
    From the ancient Greeks we had Jason and the Argonauts in search of the Golden Syrup to the native Americans who were known to be the first makers of syrups with drive – through scalpings. Wigwam`s were the first syrup factories and the word toupee comes from the word teepee, a place similar to a hairdressers where rugs were fitted.
    In culture and art, there can be found references in the great writings, for example….” Friends, Romans and countrymen…lend me your hair ! “…….Toupee or not toupee….that is the question ! “……… ” Is this a dodgy syrup I see before me ! “…….” A syrup, a syrup, my Kingdom for a syrup ! “…….” Romeo…Romeo..what the f**k is that on your bonce ! “.

Now Silent Stan was determined to amass a fortune so he could find a cure for his slapheadness. It all ended in tragic tale of jealousy and psychosis.
    Kroenke had found a scientist who had made the worlds first hybrid symbiotic beaver syrup ( Castor Canadensis syrupacus ). It was like love at first site with a puppy, but it all ended badly once Stan married, the symbiotic beaver became jealous and one night it came to a head ( nice pun ! ) it slipped quietly off of Stans head and tried to suffocate Mrs Kroenke. The psychotic syrup was found guilty of attempted murder and sentenced to life at a State Mental Asylum.
    Since then, Stan has only worn Syrups made from the worlds greatest toupee specialist….Terry of Bounds Green !.
    I will now show a video of a song which I have had the words re-written by Rolf Harris`s less dodgy brother Rough Harris, by the way, I think the writing was on the wall for all to see regarding Rolf…I mean with songs like….” Tie me kangaroo down sport “…” Two little boy`s ” and ” Blow on my didgeridoo young Bruce ” !.
    So listen bastards, I will show the video and beneath it, there will be the new words to sing along to !.

Dr Glic

My wife don’t care that I`ve lost all my hair
    It`s so shiny. I rub in some spermmmmmmm
    The rug looks alive, made from my wife`s muff dive
    It`s so natural it looks like a permmmmmmm.

Silent Stans golden
    Symbiotic toupee
    Silent Stans golden syrup
    looks like a Beaver to me

I`ve got more shares, than a head full of hairs
    I will keep them, I wont ever sellllllllllll
    F**k all the fans, no trophies like St. Louis rams
    Suck this Uzzy, you can f**k off to Hellllllll

Silent Stans golden
    Best I`ve ever seen
    Silent Stans golden syrup
    From Terry of Bounds Green

Jabba is cheap, he`ll be killed in his sleep
    He is so cold, he hasn`t a hearttttttttt
    His cock is so small and glows like Chernobyl
    I will sell it at my wife`s Walmarttttttttt

Silent Stans golden
    A Beaver in disguise
    Silent Stans golden syrup
    Slips down over his eyes
    Now his eyes cant see
    Thats why he cant seeeeeeeeee

hahahahahahahahahahahaha Dr Glic AA 😛

You surpassed yourself once more! 😆

‘Toupee or not toupee….that is the question !’

Simply priceless. 🙂

68. Glic says:

I thought about it as a post Totes, would it have been too rude ? hahaha

69. Red Arse says:

Glic, you are a creative spirit — totally barmy, of course, but you are our totally barmy creative spirit!! 😀

70. Glic says:

I hope you bastards sung along to it ! hahaha

71. alexgunners says:

Dr Glic
    Paging Dr Glic.

You are simply one of a kind. And yes i did sing a long.
    Great lyrics

Reading between the lines, it might be Jack-Rambo on Sunday (if Zorro is not fit to play):

73. Glic says:

Not interested in the player, but just want to make it clear that this is the black Arsenal away kit I would like . It`s just a coincidence that there is a handsome bastard shown wearing it !.

I’m with Dr. Glic….

Amongst all the talk about our club, line-ups for our final must-win match and who is coming in and going out, I think it does all come down to hair loss….

I remember a touchline spat between two lovely heads of hair (Pardew and Arsene) so I know that despite the loose French that Alain used– “Je ne m’inquiete pas si nous perdons quatre a zero….” (or something….) he will try and find some esprit de corps amongst his foreign legion—A group which might be trying to audition for spots in our team….

So, our follicles must be strong. We cannot allow (shine-head) Gabriel Obertan to rip out Bacary’s braids (as he did in our stadium)….Aaron Ramsey and little Jack Wilshere must run their British circles around Cabaye and Yanga-M’biwa and Sissoko and the remaining brother Ba (or is he some sort of Cisse?)…. Je ne sais pas….

It will be difficult without the incredible hair of Arteta. Hopefully little Mozart will have his locks in full flow and I expect our own French forward (Giroud) to be sporting three weeks worth of a new mane. His Samson strength must be in its full glory….

It’s all to play for….Nothing matters but right HAIR, right now…. Dr. Glic, has it spot on….Toupee or not toupee, that IS the question!!!!

In truth, the only other language I know is Spanish…. so I say….No no no, no el coco no….

hahaha 17 – you got the Glic-bug 😛

GLiC,

You are a one off 😀

I sang along as well. Wait till Redders and Terry sees it.

78. John maeqa says:

I dnt thnk this is the tym 4 experiments, 4 me coq shud start ahead of ‘not fully fit’ wilshere and ‘out of form’ vermaelen. He doesnt av 2 learn alot coy its his position in the 1st place and also he rarely makes any mistakes. I say coq 4 newcastle.

TA, hair loss is a subject near and dear to many gooners of a certain age….

I was gonna write something about the Arsenal we are vs the Arsenal we aspire to be, but that sort of looking in the mirror seems better for when the season is over and the table is stable….

Instead, I made the mistake of looking in my own mirror and saw my (own) fading glory (receding hair-line, more Ljundbergesque than Arren Robben, I would like to think….) and Glic’s post hammered home the (bald) truth….

Are we concerned that it will be Howard Webb, as the smiley with a whistle, for Sunday’s match?….

That would be a good subject for a post and something I have been thinking about myself. But I happily wait for you to write it, as it would be great to publish your maiden post on BK. 🙂

No issues with hair-loss for me, 17, but at 46 I have come to realise that just walking the dog is not going to keep me fit anymore. The old mountainbike will have to be mounted again -the only problem: no mountains in the pancake county of Norfolk. 😦

82. Glic says:

Maybe all the syrup wearing Gooners could have their own Website called Kroenkesque !. I would donate my….”Silent Stans Golden Syrup ” song as an anthem !. I know for a fact that there is a Syrup League around Bounds Green ( not to be confused with the Ralph Coates Comb Over League in N17 ) and that the players do a ritual of exchanging syrups before kick-off, instead of shaking hands !. The Reff even brings out a ball with a syrup on it !. hahaha

83. Highbury Harmony says:

Yet another brilliant article TA! You’ve hit the nail on its head with this and it sums up word for word how I feel about the combo of Ramsey and Arteta. I both admire and respect their work ethic and effectiveness, but slightly resent the fact that neither have much skill or flair and are relatively “boring” footballers. My biggest concern is whether or not such a duo can actually compete and dominate at the highest level with the top clubs (imho they cannot).

Still, with that said, having one start and another on the bench next season would be invaluable for us since it will give us more depth and possibility for rotation. In addition, it’s vital to have either player on the pitch, since they unlock pockets of escape for our more skilled players and their work rate often pesters and frustrates opponents. Both are team-first oriented players that will sacrifice anything for this club and compete for their playing time.

In regards to who will replace Arteta in Sunday’s match, it’s difficult to say. My gut says Jack will start and Coquelin will come on as a sub in the 60th minute. AW has said that Jack is on heavy pain relievers and is only used when it’s an absolute necessity (until the season ends). Thus, if we have a comfortable lead at around the 60 minute mark or Jack is clearly struggling, then AW will make the sub. Coquelin will likely be too off-form to start and TV5 is a risk at DM since he’s never played there before.

These are the sorts of risks that AW runs into when it becomes a necessity to start the same players in consecutive games. Hopefully, this lack of rotation will be rectified this summer.

VCC – here are my UMF’s:

Chelsea, West Brom, West Ham, WIgan, Liverpool All Draws

Cheers mate. 🙂

85. Bond James says:

hahahaha @ Glic, that was splendid – well done !

John Maeqa,

agreed re- no time for experiments but saying that it will be a tad more risky playing coquelin who hasn’t played much (even for the u 21’s as such this season) at the expense of say, jack wilshere who has been involved least as a sub in recent games and has played along side arteta in the ramsey role ? even if we didn’t start with wilshere, we could use Rosicky there with Ramsey, moving Santi behind the striker (giroud) poldi/Ox on the left (i say ox because he can bulk up the midfield as well and play theo on the right, this also allows us to have a relatively strong bench as well and gives us options

either way, the balance of the side has been hampered no doubt by the arteta injury, ideally we would have wanted him to get injured in the last minute of the toons game this sunday but let’s be positive, we have the fire power to outscore newcastle and we also have the best defensive away record in the league (correct me if i am wrong, anyone).

what a special CB partnership this is turning out to be for us, long it may continue as well ! they both are also a threat on set pieces and corners in the opposition half as well..is there a better CB partnership in the premiership currently ? maybe chelsea ?

86. Red Arse says:

Do you know, Glicster, practically every girlfriend I have had, has always wanted to cut my hair! That’s a fact.

I am loathe to go to a barbers, and my hair, apparently, looks like a dandelion clock. I usually tell them to blow me then, when they say that, and that is the best outcome.

I just wish Dr Glic was here to advise me, and explain what their subconscious is telling them to do. Is it a Samson and Delilah thing do you think?

Or just that they like to huff and puff and blow a yank? 🙂

87. Highbury Harmony says:

VCC, my UMF predictions:

Chavs vs. Everton draw
    Arsenal away win
    Southampton vs. Stoke draw
    Spuds home win
    Manure away win

Hi and cheers HH 🙂

Jack might not be fit enough, Coquelin too rusty and inexperienced, and TV not the right fit fo the Arteta position – so all not ideal. The money has to be on Jack, unless he really is not fit at all, but I would love to see TV adding his steel and energy for this one.

All agreed re Rambo/Arteta.

Just imagine for a moment Arsenal bring in Higuian AND Jovetic, so the ‘front-four’ can be picked from Pod, Giroud, Theo, Cazorla, Jack, Higuian, Ox, Gervinho and Jovetic: would you not be tempted to continue with the current ‘back-seven’, including Arteta and Ramsey….?

89. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, I just jizzed in my pants…give me a second to change as I am not afforded the luxury of diapers yet like VCC 🙂

90. Bond James says:

you left out Gnabry from the front four option 😉 TA 😀

91. Highbury Harmony says:

The only alternative would be to deploy Ox as our B2B mid (if he’s ready for the position and defensive responsibility) and play Ramsey in the Mikelele DM position. Ox has the endurance, pace, ball control and drive to play the B2B role, but will he be disciplined enough defensively? Is it too much of a gamble too? Worth noting was that on his last trot out against Le Toon, he was one of our best players (I believe he hit the bar twice in the first half) and scored a goal in the second half of that match.

If we somehow bring in both Higuain AND Jovetic, I dare say we will easily compete for the EPL title (provided chemistry works and other teams don’t also exponentially improve). Higuain and Jovetic would be first choice for me everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. People forget that Higuain accomplishes his statistics with half the playing time of a normal striker due to rotation and that before Benzema’s arrival at Real, he was the next big thing and showed a ton of promise. Unfortunately, the arrival of another top striker adversely affect his confidence and has led to both being on and off form since neither have taken the position as their own.

Ultimately, it would mean the end for one of Gervinho or Poldi (likely the former). Would you be ok with that TA? We would still need a proper DM though…

Good point, BJ, the Gnab should be included!

Time to feed the girls, HH. But like the man from Graz used to say: I’ll be back! 🙂

94. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, I am going to write an article about why Gnabry is the next big thing comparing his development to that of Bale, Walcott and Ox. Hopefully, he can become the next great SS type player scoring goals for fun like that monkey from Wales. Every time I see Gnabry play, I walk away impressed and then remember he’s only 16! Hopefully, AW has recompensed for overlooking Ronaldo when he was a youngster.

Nice post TA

Theos contribution has been vital. The truth is that he has gained a load of experience now, both playing for Arsenal and England. The guy is dnagerous.He also has a sneakiness about him that other fans loath and fear. Out of the game for large periods, and then bang, the balls in the back of your net.

Intersting take on Ramsey been the new Parlour. He has traits of Flamini in him to, though Mathias was more aggresive. The key for Ramsey carrer at Arsenal will, for me anyway, depend on wethe in future he can develop an ability to finnish. He has all the attributes to make the runs and find space in the box, now he needs to take the next step and start scoring. When he does that, and i think he will, we will have a top player.

Replacing Arteta? I dont think we can, and for the Newcastle game that worries me. No one in the squad reads it like Mikel, and the Geordies have players who might expose that. To much of a gamble for a fundamental change so i would stick Jack in there and see what happens.

96. Red Arse says:

Gnabry is 18 in July, HH, not that I mean to quibble with you — he is a great talent! 😀

97. vande matthew says:

I think coquelin should be given a chance cos that’s his role even he has never had the chance to play many matches but when called to, he doesn’t do bad. Aside that, two of them are strong and can tackle well and when it comes to going forward, they do it excellently. So, let’s just give him a chance once again.

98. Bond James says:

i think HH is confusing Gnabry with Zelalem age wise (another fine prospect for the future i reckon.

Gnarby is a special player no doubt, even better if he will be 18 this summer !

hahahaha, brilliant stuff Cornwall. Its always refreshing to me to occasionaly glimpse the crazy recesses of your mischevious mind. hahaha

Your quite right about Stan and the Syrup. Unfortunately for Stan i doubt he can tackle his problem with a transplant. Ive examined the dimensions of his toupee and there is a definate lack of doner density affordable for a good cosmetic surgery. So the git is stuck with wig, and the wig is stuck on him. hahaha

It is true that baldness can affect a mans carachter. Before my transplant i was a horiibble man hated by all. After the transplant i am now a horibble man hated by all, but at least ive got some hair. hahaha

100. Bond James says:

Vande matthew,

coquelin no doubt is a promising player but i feel at times he’s too eager and energetic, by that i mean he can be a bit rash with his challenges, which for me can turn out to be a bit dangerous considering we’ve had the most amount of red cards this season ? if not most then it’s got to be right up there.

even Rosicky off late has been going in full throttle with his challenges and every time he does that, i have my heart in my mouth 😀

playing coquelin for 60 minutes and then bringing on jack is another option but if jack is fit enough to make the bench then he should be okay to give one last push and start the game i reckon, for now i expect Wenger to play a few mind games and who knows he may even surprise us by starting with Arteta 😀

TA, like I say, let’s get the table all fluffed out so then we can make the big definitive statements we (pundits…) all like to make….

As for this weekend, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a half-fit Arteta take the pitch Willis Reed style…(A reference to basketball from 40+ years ago, which I bet can be youtubed….) Our midfield dual-pivot, with super sub Rosicky making it a three-way, illustrates the season in a nut-shell. On the backs of canny but never-an-athlete Mikel and run-all-day-but-my-2nd-touch-is-a-tackle, Ramsey–playing the role of a single well skilled, athletic, field-marshall–we have upped the defense at the expense of our attack. Maybe now that Ramsey has gotten a ball into the net the floodgates will open….

HH is right to salute the Kos-Per central duo, but kudos should also be given out to Gibbs for his bossing of McManaman and his couple of key stab-tackles which were sublime and timely. The one in the box and on the right side of our goalmouth (after a Ramsey giveaway at the other end), if mis-executed, was a stonewall penalty.

Likewise we should salute Sir Chesney (as the Scottish announcer was calling him….) for standing tall at the near post. He might’ve done better on the FK, but the fault there must rest with Arteta for giving the same foul to the same guy in the same spot twice….Fool me once, shame on you…..

Arteta, like Santi, (almost like Giroud…. 😉 ) is so important to our team that it is a real worry. We’ve gotten lucky with his fitness this season (as compared to Diaby and Wilshere, both of whom, I believe, the manager was counting upon)…. That Arteta was a steal from Everton (like United stole away our best player) shows that the Club’s eyes have been focused on the teams below us, not above. If we were to finish above Chelsea, it would be quite the coup. They should’ve lost to Benfica yesterday, which, perhaps illustrates just how frightening a CL playoff in August might be….

But (jumping the gun…) we all want Arsenal to compete at the top of the league rather than for a CL place…. We lack a “world class” striker and a “world class” keeper but we have a solid committee up front and an up and comer (who got a reality check when his back-up successfully stepped in). The big issue is that we’re down to bare bones in midfield and it’s all about inspiration and application rather than inherent quality in the group actually fit enough to play. I don’t know who to buy but if Jovetic can play “in the hole” then he would count as a MF. This Higuain stuff is all fumo (smoke), and his stats as a part time player cannot be read as anything but the weakness of the Spanish lower 18 (that’s for HH ;)….

Hopefully Glic doesn’t read my too-long posts, but his boy (‘Isco) seems a sure thing at City to replace/challenge fat Sam(ir) and Milner…. Ah well, to me, I never got the boing effect watching him, as he seems a poor man’s combo of Cesc and Santi. We’ve got the one and of all the silly transfer ideas, Cesc for 1/2 price is the one that rubs me the rightest. ‘Isco will do very well at City, however, I fear….as the Spanish influences up there takes hold….Now they just need to find somebody who will take Nasri’s fat salary off their books….

Anyhow, fun stuff, but we’ve still got a match to play and it’s not over ’til the bald man (Webb) blows….

17, if you need any tips on how to keep your barnet let me know.

i am currently trying a potion known only to the elders of the Chiquarami tribe of the depest amazon. I bought it of some geezer at the Walthamstow market. No visable results yet, but ime confident something will happen soon. hahaha

103. Glic says:

Hahaha Stretch, it`s only all them bored housewives husbands who hate you !.

Don’t worry 17ht, my mate Stretch is going up to Geordieland and will meet up with Webb in a seedy hotel. Wearing nothing but a long cockney spiv coat and trilby, he will open up the coat in front of Webb to reveal the finest hanging selection of Bounds Green syrups that can bribe a slaphead to fix a game !. If the Webb and his two assistants come out wearing the new Puma sponsored syrups, get down the bookies pronto !. hahaha

104. Bond James says:

TMHT,

that geezer from the walthamstow market down blackhorse road was me and i can safely say, it will work one day some day.

so we have 4 of our players in double figures, not bad for 3 of them playing their first ever season in England , had we not had so many individual mistakes this season, we may well have finished top 2 and been closer to man utd.

105. Bond James says:

is this the new puma away kit by any chance ?

You guys are the best!!! My wife tells me it’s virile, but I think she might mean viral…Which is why I never get out and prefer to live in isolation, peeking at our must-win Arsenal matches from behind the sofa, when the squeaky-cheeky sounds get too loud sitting upon it…..

In truth, I think Webb is a good break on the referee front as he tends to bend over for the better teams (and their perv managers with the full weaves of the ginger-grey)…..Now, all we have to do is….you know, be the better team….

TA, with his full head of hair, doesn’t understand….And the rest of the boys, with their super-fine fiances and/or their video games and you-tubes and other diversions just aren’t there yet….

OK, off for my Arse-shaving….I find a 3 day stubble is ideal on match day….

BJ, that story you told me about how you got the potion, You know, how the warriors of the tribe shot you with a poisenous dart took you back to there village were the Chief took pity and ordered that you would have to make love to all the good looking girls. And how, you were completely bald but they applied the lotion and after two weeks you had a hairline like Stalin?

of course i believe it all, but are you sure about the two weeks? Ive just passsed that mark, and nothings happened yet? hahaha

BJ, Oh my that is quite the hair-hat Ollie is sporting….Odds on him to open the scoring with a header….

Speaking of which, he is starting to look more and more like a girl I met once in a Brentwood (California) bar….

109. Highbury Harmony says:

Yes BJ and RA, Gnabry is indeed 17 turning 18 this year! I keep forgetting that he was 16 last season when I first saw him play.

110. Bond James says:

17,

Webb is certainly better than mr.Dic* Dean, that’s for sure.

TMHT,

wow, you can already see the results of the portion i gave you, your memory has become photogenic and i do recall you were a tad more concerned about having a photogenic memory than having long silky locks, please spread the word around and do pop in if you’re in the neighbourhood next time, i’ll do you a better deal 😉

on a slightly different note, the worst loan signing of the century award has to go to West ham utd 😀

111. Highbury Harmony says:

BJ, if those are our kits for 2014-15, I would boycott this team hahaha!

errr, i dont remember that BJ, but if you say i now have a photogenic memory then i must have. hahaha

Anyway, of to pack. Ive got a plane to the Amazon to catch, and hopefuly a dart up the jacksie. hahaha

I dunno BJ, Andy Carroll did quite a bit to help them stay up….

Also, as in the case with Carroll, the loaning team should always bear a measure of the shame in these situations….Of course, we paid about 35 million pounds less for Chamakh than Pool did for their big ball o’ hair….

114. Bond James says:

17,

head,hand,arms,shoulders, FEET 😉 knees, deflections, i’ll take any goal he scores for us this sunday, ha ha

in fact, i will even take 2 own goals by the toons 😀 don’t mind a dodgy penalty decision given by mr.webb in our favour either 😀

same time last year, we were gifted an opener by west brom’s 2nd choice goalie and then we had a splendid strike by the most hated arsenal player, santos ? and a 3rd one by the best defender in france .

115. Bond James says:

HH,

i don’t blame you,

TMHT,

take it easy and see you later!

17,

i was on about them signing Chamakh not big andy 😀

116. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht, some fine observations @ 19:31. We generally see eye to eye on most matters, unless it comes to the strength of La Liga vs. EPL ;).

I think it’s a necessity to have one of Arteta and Ramsey in our starting line-up in the future as we need a guy to do the dirty work and fulfill the less glamorous role on the pitch. Both are slightly above average at both offense and defense so it’s just a matter of complementing one of them with an astute, physical, fast DM to hopefully unleash their creativity further up field (or work in an alternating offense/defense pivot similar to how Arteta & Song did).

Per & Kos are my starting two CB’s going into next season (barring injury of course) and the back four has been solidified imo. What I mean is that it’s not a necessity to start shopping in the TW and we can focus on other areas of concern (DM, ST, GK etc.). If TV5 is for some reason sold (I do not believe he will be, though I’m sure he’ll want assurances of more playing time), then that is the only way I can foresee Arsenal purchasing a CB as our 3rd option. Miquel should slot in nicely as our 4th choice CB.

And you’re absolutely correct that we’ve spent too much time and effort focusing on looking over our shoulders and trying to finish better than clubs like Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham, opposed to finishing above teams like $hitty, Manure and Chavs. The onus now falls on AW since the transfer funds are available and now that he has publicly come out and proclaimed that CL qualification is simply not good enough anymore.

117. Glic says:

It is a fact that if you want to keep all your hair, then being castrated will do the job !. This is however a drastic action and comes with it`s obvious downside. An alternative is an award winning invention from the house of Dr Glic !.
    I have taken my previous …award winning bubblewrap Y-fronts and fused them with cryogenics !. The effect is similar to having a mini freezer full of frozen peas, which in the case of my invention is more like frozen nuts freezer !. It will have the same effect as being castrated..ie…full head of hair, but with the advantage of being able to thaw them out or sticking them in the micro-wave on defrost mode for a few minutes and then being ready for shag mode, after shagging has finished, put cryogenic bubble Y-Fronts back on to continue life as normal person of fantasy barnet proportions !.

hahahaha, Cornwall, castration only works if you still got hair. If your a baldie, it wont make your hair grow back.

Lets not tell Webb. hahaha

119. Highbury Harmony says:

Glic @ 12:18, hahahaha! I haven’t a clue as to what you’re talking about most of the time, but I still have a good laugh reading your tangent comments. I honestly thought there was going to be a link to the hair follicle transplant that Rooney had done…to be honest, wtf hasn’t Stan done that!

120. Glic says:

True Stretch. I was thinking more on the lines of young BKers who look at both their bald mum and dad !. They must be thinking…..what`s the odds on me keeping my Ken Barlow thick hair ?……Zero……mmmm , I saw an advert on BK by the world renowned scientist…Dr Glic….I wonder how much the CB`s ( Cryogenic Bubblewraps ) are ?. hahaha

hahaha, the whole things hilarious Cornwall. I know on the “Private” balding forums that at the moment a group of guys are trying out an experimental chemical “BNP32” which is used for heart conditions but has shown in trials a side effect of growing hair.

They are bascily risking there lives in the hope that they will sprout some hair. Serious shit, but also very funny. hahaha

122. Glic says:

Quite simple HH . The ratio of hair to bald parts is 10/1, which means he only has 10% of hair left to cover 90% of his head hairline !. I suppose he could have a Mohican or have the hair follicles removed from his cock and scrotum if he wants a perm !. hahaha

123. Glic says:

Hahaha Stretch . For a laugh you should put my crap about Cryogenic Bubblewraps on the forum and see it anyone bites !. The eminent Dr Glic, world famous trichologist !. hahahaha

Yes, HH. “Doner area” is the back and side of the head around your ears and below which does not bald. Not enough hair there to give full coverage, unless you want a realy crap looking result. hahaha

Thiis is realy confusing. Ime off to the bald truth forum to see wether there talking about Arsenal. hahaha

125. Glic says:

Maybe Dr Glicenstein of the Vienna Institute would sound more believable !. hahaha

126. Glic says:

Hair today, gone tomorrow !.

127. Glic says:

I`m off down stairs, the missus is pulling her hair out because I`ve been on here to long, I`ll send it to you ! hahaha

CBs is a good name for the football crowd as keeping your hair and your virility intact could be the seen as the real life equivalent of the less than glorious work that a typical Center Back accomplishes–Or the work that a pair of them do…. (get it? a pair of them….) Still, I think, for mass marketing it should be “The Jewel Cooler” or better yet, the New and Improved Jewel Cooler II (two)….now with circulating glycol microtubing….

Out here in California we live in the hot tub, so I had a prototype version back in my baby-making days constructed from a plastic beer cooler and secured with duct tape—The missus was worried my sperm count might go South….

Maybe that’s where the hair went….down the drain with too many long soaks…. 😦

“Doner area”?…..

And I always look forward to a kebab whenever I can get to London….. :O ….

😮 is what I meant, maybe….

😯 damn those smileys :)….

Oh, and of course, BJ, I knew you we’re talking about Chamakh…..

HH, OK we’ll just have to agree to disagree (lol) about the depth of the Spanish League. (On that account, how many goals do you think Messi and Ronaldo would score in England, or should we instead count “weeks missed due to injury”….? 😆 )

Big game on Sunday…. Here’s the Willis Reed youtube that Mikel Arteta needs to see….

132. Highbury Harmony says:

Messi and Ronaldo would destroy the EPL. Ronaldo, in a more infancy stage of his development, embarrassed countless EPL defenders. The more technical defenders are able to slow him down to a degree in La Liga, but he still ultimately scores a ton of goals. Physical defenders are just no match for players like Messi and Ronaldo, and even pace on defenders will not help them, as Messi and Ronaldo’s turns of change of pace will have defenders running past them and falling/looking foolish.

Ronaldo and Messi are truly generational talents imo.

HH, always up for a fight…. 😉

Hey, I totally agree about Leo and Slick and there are a lot of other really technically adept players in La Liga…. I was thinking, however, about your stats on goals in the two leagues and wondering if that might be due to more pens being given (something you can look up) or the fear of pens making defenders back off (something harder to determine)…. One thing I notice is the “commitment” of defenders outside the box, esp. a yard or two out from the 18 yard line (Where FKs are harder to convert into goals) seems strong in England. Is it possible that the bigger defenders in England block a few more shots from 19-22 yards out? Certainly I notice that almost all of Santi’s attempts get sent back and, as his first season has moved on, he shapes to shoot more as a decoy….I wonder if ‘Isco will suffer this same problem up at City next season…..

Anyhow, please don’t cyberbully me….just curious and I bow (in advance) to your superior knowledge and (presumedly) hairline…. : D

134. Bond James says:

popcorn, anyone 😀

135. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht :), it is certainly true that more shots are blocked in the EPL since some teams break down and form a defensive shell, willing to sacrifice their bodies to save a goal. This is part of the physical nature of the league that can make it more stringent at times when considering goals scored.

However, comparing Santi, who was never a prolific goal scorer in even La Liga, to Messi and Ronaldo is somewhat unfair. Santi had never achieved double digit goals in his career prior to this season, so it’s justifiable to believe that both Messi and Ronaldo would also dominate the EPL, more so than they already do.

Another example would be Michu. His best tally was 15 goals for Rayo Vallecano last term and this year, he already has 21 goals. I said it then and I’ll say it again: good players in La Liga will utterly dominate the EPL because at the end of the day, technical ability outshines physicality and pace. It’s true that the physicality can annoy and pester more skilled players, but they find ways to adapt and eventually thrive in any league.

136. Highbury Harmony says:

already do in La Liga*

137. Bond James says:

17,

you might like this article.

taken from the article above “So next time you here someone talking down the English game, just remember: form is temporary, class is permanent, and England is the home of the beautiful game”

wicked laughter time :D:D:D daily mail do crack me up at times 😉

138. Highbury Harmony says:

La Liga defenders play football as it should be played; taking on attackers one on one and instead of adhering to a system, allow for more “technical” defending. By this, I mean that defenders are better suited to stripping the ball off opponents and on astutely interpreting the play to predict interceptions. If there is a threat such as Ronaldo coming down the flank, they will often double up on him, but by no means will they clog the center of the park as often as EPL teams do.

The case of penalties would be a curious one and something I have not considered. The diving in La Liga would certainly cause defenders to back off a bit, but I have seen defenders in La Liga commit actual fouls countless times too. My belief is that the mentality is that they would prefer to give up a penalty than a clear opportunity at goal on the break. Defenders in La Liga are also more willing to take risks admit when they are beat, which leads to more tackles in and around the box, opposed to the EPL where defenders drop the line further back and attempt to “park the bus”.

139. Highbury Harmony says:

take risks and will admit when they are beat*

140. rabiu olukayode says:

go on arsenal, go for the maximum points

141. Highbury Harmony says:

Also, I think we’re in need of a more deadly/consistent FK taker. I know there was a discussion about this in one of the older posts, but our FK conversion rate is pretty abysmal IIRC. Santi should be our guy, but for some reason, he seems to deliver it straight into the wall more lately than not. Theo is also incredibly inconsistent and I find he lacks the power/dip to consistently score on FKs. Podolski is the other option and his power strikes are a thing of beauty, but like Theo he lacks the dip, and he also lacks accuracy.

Cesc was capable of producing some truly fantastic FK’s, as was van Judas, but I have yet to be impressed by anyone on our current squad. The FK takers are basically a further reflection of this team; a bunch of good FK takers (good players), but no true stand-outs (lacking world-class talent).

142. Bond James says:

Poldi and Arteta should be taking more free kicks in my opinion and we could also try the OX, i have seen him in training and he’s very good.

hence when i say when need a one in 3 or one in 4 striker, i really do hope we get someone who can bend them in like beckham 😉 (end of an era for becks).

143. Highbury Harmony says:

BJ, I really wonder if such a player exists re: one in 3 or one in 4 that is not at a world-class level. There are lesser players capable of taking FKs very well, such as Maloney, but none would be acceptable from an Arsenal starter POV. Neither Higuain or Jovetic would resolve our issues of lacking a deadly FK taker, which leads me to believe that AW will try to develop that skill set in house.

There are a range of average to above average FK takers in Jack, Santi, Poldi, Theo and Arteta, but none have really taken the role as their own. Imagine how much more deadly we would be with a FK taker of Bale’s ability on our side.

In regards to Ox, I do not think he will play regularly enough to be considered our FK taker next season.

144. AFC says:

Hi HH, 🙂 Santi and Podolski are both pretty good at taking free kicks and Arteta was sort of a set piece specialist at Everton so I cannot understand why we do not score from hardly any free kicks.

145. AFC says:

HH, before Arteta and Cazorla came to Arsenal they scored lots of goals from free kicks.

146. Highbury Harmony says:

Hi AFC :), glad to be blogging with you again!

Exactly, which is why I’m confused as to why we are so brutal at FKs. It really does appear that teams are more willing to give us FK since we rarely convert. Santi was an excellent FK taker at Malaga, while Poldi is a proven scorer from distance in the Bundesliga. However, both have regressed from a FK standpoint. Even Arteta’s FKs have been abysmal this season.

The only logical answer is that FK are not focused on as much on the training ground, with a greater emphasis on playing expressive football and getting attuned to one another in order to play like a well-oiled machine (aka Wengerball).

May be too presumptuous on my part, but what other explanation is there?!

147. Bond James says:

HH, of course it exists, actually we made one of those and sold them to Man Utd not so long ago;)

148. Bond James says:

we can always ask Ramsey to try his luck with a long range free kick, he loves firing blanks from there, who knows he might find it easier to dip it over the wall and curve it right into the left or right corner , he’s the closest thing we’ve got to Bale atm, if you don’t believe me then look at the wonderfully executed goal and oh that stupendous run from the left flank, beautiful i tell you.

(yeah, i just watched the replay of the game:D

Good stuff, HH, and you too, BJ for taking up the good fight, or using the Daily Mail for a little nationalism, er, national support….

I really am in basic agreement with the idea that for English football to get better it needs to move towards some of the elements of the Spanish league, most notably, refs protecting players so that the skilled ones want to play in England and don’t see it as the land of the maimed…. Diving will increase, but then give some yellows when it happens or at least a warning then a yellow. It’s funny how the old-time pundits complain about the quick whistles and the simulation in English football these days, but then will defend the leg-breakers. But then again, Stoke stay up while Wigan goes down… And the irony isn’t lost (on me at least….) that Callum McManaman’s injury (after his outlandish dive…) was the turning point of our match–just as his horror tackle a few matches back should’ve been the end to his season….

I agree with your general description of defenders playing in Spain, but man oh man, some of them look pretty bad when they get to the tougher matches (Superclasicos, the later rounds of the CL)….. 19 year old Varane seems the cream of the crop these days….. And I doubt we’ll be shopping for defenders down there anytime soon. Is it true that “Pique” is the Catalan word for “Squillaci” (French-Italian) and that both translate to the true French, “Sylvestre”? Or do they all mean “Song”….or some version thereof…. It’s crazy, but where I used to post, a lot of people heralded the signing of Squillaci while mocking Arsene for signing Ligue 2 Koscielny. In truth, there were some settling in pains for the latter, but how ’bout that overhead kick the other day? It was even more impressive because he had Sir Chesney calling him off, in the style of their League Cup final gaffe….

On the FKs…. For Sunday, give Santi a full ten yards (because defenders are taller in England 😉 ….) and the right footers, and Lu-lu those from the left….Little Maloney just got relegated and looks like an older, right-footed version of Jack Wilshere. If Jack and Wilshere are going to take turns in the physio room again next season, an old pro with a little drive to his play and a nice right foot could be just the ticket. I bet matching his salary wouldn’t be too bad…. But, now I’m getting as bad as (my friend) AFC…. No, no, I’m sure Ramsey can fill the spot (and would be happy to take FKs….) and Diaby will be fit by January…. (JUST KIDDING!!!) and I think you’re right, HH, FKs must be something the players have to work on on their own. Maybe Becks next move is into a coaches kit at London Colney….. If anybody can coax him (or Thierry Henry) out of retirement (or use them to promote the Arsenal brand….) it’s gotta be AW….

😉 all around, eh….

150. Highbury Harmony says:

BJ, if you’re going to allow a bloke with average talent like Ramsey take our FKs, you might as well let OG or Ches take them since we’ll just be firing shots 50 feet clear of the bar hahaha!

Ramsey to take FKs, BJ? See my post above….

Great (delusional?…) minds think alike, or something…. However, you’d better not start calling me a Ramsey lover or fail to read my comments during the last match, or there will be trouble….Big trouble…..

Again, all my comments should be taken with a hefty dose of the winks, but I’ll put one out there just in case…..

😉

152. Bond James says:

HH,

look at the bright side, someone in the crowd will be getting hit 😉

17,

my apologies for being lazy and not being able to read “previous articles” where i haven’t been engaged or involved in the spur of the moment discussions and then went onto post something in *ignorance” again down to me being lazy as i am “suppose to be reading each and every comment ever since this splendid blog was created” but yeah, how dare you not say FCUK at the beginning of that comment to make yourself look classy 😉

not sure about great (delusional) but greatly (evil) sounds appropriate , ha

but honestly, we should take it easy on Ramsey, he takes spot kicks for Wales and i swear i have seen him take free kicks sometimes for wales as well (maybe it was on fifa but there you go).

153. Bond James says:

rabiu olukayode,

nothing less than maximum points will do for us gunners ! how i would like that 4-0 cushion again in the first 35 minutes against the toons 😀

HH,

how dare you call a certain welshman being “an average talent” shame on you .

154. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht, in regards to the defenders on the top teams in Spain, they are abysmal. Pique has never regained form or confidence since his injury and rift with Pep dating back to last year, while Barca are still depending on a 34 year old Puyol to hold together their back line. La Masia has struggled to develop top notch CB for quite some time, which is why they are looking Internationally to fill the massive void at CB.

As for Real, Pepe is a sad excuse for a defender at such a massive club. Varane has improved by leaps and bounds this season and is perhaps one of the top CB in the league. He, like most defenders, is still prone to defensive lapses, but at 19 years old, he’s as good as they get for a CB. Ramos is still world-class at CB, it’s just unfortunate that he is often given the responsibility of bailing out Pepe.

Again, with La Liga defenders, it’s all relative in how you view them. Most fans will enjoy the physical, all out defenders in the EPL, opposed to the smaller, more technical defenders of La Liga. The EPL defenders are more noticeable and likely more consistent, but I attribute that to the system oriented defending that a lot of teams operate within, opposed to individual skill defending that is more evident in La Liga.

However, much like the Spanish national team, it is not worth buying the majority of CBs in La Liga, as Spain has never been known as a country that produces quality CBs. I believe Spain’s possession style approach was to overcome their general inability to produce top defenders. With that said, there are some good imported defenders in La Liga such as Varane, Rami, Di Michelis, Godin, Spahic etc.

Also, it’s worth noting that La Liga is an absolute hot bed for full backs though. Time and time again, quality fullbacks are churned out from Spanish academies that are relatively decent at defending and extremely efficient at attacking. I believe this is largely because Spanish players in general have an attacking mindset and are not trained in positions, so much so as footballers. Thus, the fullback position still requires that attacking mindset, and Spanish players are able to better adjust to this role, opposed to the more conservative CB one.

And yes, Koscielny’s diving kick to save a goal was outstanding the other day. He keeps getting better the more he plays and together with Per, they have formed a solid, albeit not flashy, CB pairing.

155. AFC says:

HH, I think the free kick problem is also down to Wenger and the coaching staff. Why is Walcott taking our free kicks? Surely Cazorla, Arteta, Podolski, Rosicky and Wilshere are all better free kick takers. I can understand why Walcott takes corner. He has no height, and does not have accurate and powerful shots from distance however I would have him in the box, in front of the opposing GK making a nuisance of himself and scoring tap ins’ when the GK spills the ball or cannot reach the ball.

156. Highbury Harmony says:

BJ, clearly you are a Ramsey loving f*ck (:o)

157. Bond James says:

i don’t deny it and gracias 😉

158. AFC says:

HH, Rogério Ceni is the man we need. An experienced GK who has banged in millions of free kicks. 🙂