Wilshere B2B – Rooney ‘in the hole’ – Theo ST: a mouth-watering prospect?!

Let’s take a break for a day or two from the ‘what if Arsenal do not sign anybody’ posts, and indulge in a bit of transfer window fantasy football.

I don’t know what to make of the rumours re Rooney coming to Arsenal. My first instinct tells me it is never going to happen, and so it probably won’t. He would be too expensive for us and he appears to be motivated more by money than playing proper football; so if he is at all to leave MU, I reckon it will be for PSG or maybe even Chelsea or MC.

But the links, however tenuous,  continue and it would be worthwhile to discuss how WR could fit into our team next season.

I reckon Rooney would be ideal to play in the hole at Arsenal. He would be  allowed to totally enjoy himself there in a similar way as Cesc and Dennis once did.  He is the perfect mix between an attacking midfielder – with good ball control, passing (including deadly through-balls) and overview – and can score goals from outside and inside the box. He also has very good body strength, bags full of stamina and a winner’s attitude.

With Arsenal opting for a future English core within the team, it would make sense to get an experienced, quality, fellow English player to lead the way and mentor our talents. WR could become the link player between our biggest talents in the middle and up-front: Jack and Theo, and possibly Ox as well.

The thought of Jack – Rooney – Theo in the attacking part of our spine next season is a mouth-watering prospect to me, especially if they can be supported by the likes of Giroud, Santi and Pod up-front.

Just imagine us starting with this line-up next season:

Arsenal with Rooney

Tactically, it would make real sense to get Rooney and become the attacking pivot of the team. Jack would blossom working with Rooney and Theo could lead the line knowing he has a physically and technically competent striker behind him in support.

Both Cazorla and Pod would get an experienced, quality colleague who would provide them with some fine service, as well as be able to finish off the chances they create for him. And Ox could become Rooney’s understudy and eventual replacement.

I am also sure that not many will begrudge Rooney his top wages, although Cazorla could claim a rise for himself (which many of us will agree he deserves after a fine first season).

I’d rather have Cesc back though, and I am also very excited about Jovetic, but if they don’t work out and Rooney wants to play proper footie and give his career a new life, and he would come to Arsenal with real desire to make a difference,  I would welcome him to the home of football.

Would you agree?

Written by: TotalArsenal.

114 Responses to Wilshere B2B – Rooney ‘in the hole’ – Theo ST: a mouth-watering prospect?!

i’m about to have an orgasm .

if i was Rooney, then i would ignore the money element

and simply take a massive wage cut to join arsenal because i would like to prove to everyone that

1: i’m not a greedy bast*rd

3: up yours RVP how dare you come to my territory and knock me off my perch, now it’s my turn to inflict some misery on you, you so and so, let me go to arsenal and score 30 goals and win the golden boot and help arsenal win the treble with my amigos jackie wilsher, theo, the ox and jenks

if this were to happen, then it would be a massive coup and signing of intent by AW, perhaps one of his greatest intent showing signings, it’s also worth nothing that the odds on Rooney joining arsenal have fallen considerably over the last few days from 33-1 to 8-1, 9-2 e.t.c

3. usmanov says:

i think rooney is the best option arsenal has got

*noting not nothing (freudian slip 😉

5. usmanov says:

i didnt understand

6. rellends says:

never gonna happen.

Usmanov,

sorry, i was correcting my own mistake from the comment above.

but yes, Rooney is the way to go if we are to be taken seriously, besides he would slot right in and feel right at home if he joins arsenal…

i hear his mrs is also very fond of london and shopping, so why not ?

i also feel that the reason why mancs appointed moyes as the manager was because he could work well within a tight budget, which basically means they will be spending a lot less on acquisitions and selling more ? who knows but it’s just my way of thinking,

whether mancs are willing to sell to us remains to be seen though.

Arsene picks up phone and rings Rednose’s number:

Hi Sir Alex, it is Arsene here: remember you promised to help me if you were to get van Judas of me…. well your greedy bastards took two points away from my Arsenal and then you let those orrible Chavs win at Old Toilet….So you still owe me: I want Rooney – Make it happen!

Rednose: aaahhh, you got to speak to Moyes now, Arsene, nowt to do with me anymore!

JB

I am surprised about the odds being lowered and it could be a good sign, unless it is a tactic to get more people to put money on that particular bet…

10. davydavy says:

Bad move – Rooney is already well past his best. I’d sooner put the Ox in that position and buy a real top-dollar striker who makes runs for our midfield to find with through-passes.

If it were up to me, I would try to compete with Man C by concentrating the bulk of our transfer money on just one player such as Cavani. And maybe also try to pick up a bully of a midfielder such as Wanyama.

11. DaG says:

Ramsey has been better than Wilshere in the box to box role this season. Significantly better in fact.

12. Highbury Harmony says:

DaG, in what sense has Ramsey been better than Wilshere in the box to box role this season? He may have been better than Jack in the DM role, but not in the B2B role.

Offensive statistics:

JW – 1.9 key passes per game, 2.2 successful dribbles per game, 2.1 times fouled per game

AR – 1.3 key passes per game, 0.9 successful dribbles per game, 0.9 times fouled per game

In respect to the offensive aspect of the B2B position, Jack utterly dominates Ramsey in terms of successfully beating his man/carrying the ball up field, picking up fouls and in key passes.

Defensive statistics:

JW – 1.3 successful tackles per game, 1 interception per game and 0.8 times dribbled around per game

AR – 2 successful tackles per game, 1.2 interceptions per game and 0.9 times dribbled around per game

So from a defensive perspective, Ramsey was slightly better than Jack and the latter is not even known for his defensive play. As I said before, from a DM standpoint, Ramsey was better but from a B2B one, Jack was statistically better. Ramsey is not really a B2B player either.

davy2 – the Ox is not ready for that role, and your statement about Rooney is just a personal opinion, right?

DaG

Are you saying, though, that going forward Ramsey is the better option in the b2b role?

14. Highbury Harmony says:

Further, in the 18 starts Ramsey had in the DM/B2B position, he accumulated 1 goal and 0 assists. JW in 17 starts in the DM/B2B accumulated 1 goal and 4 assists.

Say whatttttt???!!!

15. A says:

If Rooney came in it would be as the central striker. He certainly wouldn’t play that role, as we would be totally overrun in midfield – hence why Santi was moved out wide.

16. Canit says:

Rooney and Fellaini and we good. With those two signings we would spend 50M and be contenders next year. Book it.

17. Vincent Emmanuel Nnamdi says:

What a wonderful addition it would be for us, even if we don’t sign another player, with WR in our current team we would become unstoppable and his winning,positve and aggressive attitude is what we really need to complete our team and compet for honours next season…@venbishop

18. Admir says:

Very interesting point of view, TA, as I see not too many Arsenal fans see Rooney as acceptable option.

Now, I wouldn’t call Rooney “past his prime”, especially as I’m an Arsenal fan and we have seen what kind of mess he can create with his skills. This season Rooney played mostly as second fiddle to Van Judas and sometimes was burdened with defensive assignments (like when he was used to suffocate Arteta at Old Toilet). He still managed to get a double-double – 12 goals and 10 assists in 27 appearances in Premiership, 16 goals and 15 assists in 38 appearances in all competitions. He might have had one more assist to his name but his excellent long pass, fortunately, wasn’t converted by Giggs at Emirates.

A proper defensive midfielder – say, Wanyama – and Rooney would give us realistic chances to challenge for the title next season. Sure, I’d like Lewandowski, Benzema, Higuain, Cavani…over Rooney but it seems that neither of those options are close to Arsenal.

19. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, as a transfer rumour junkie, you had to know I’d love this post 🙂 (perhaps not as much as JB who gets hard every time he hears Roo-…). Not only did you indulge in the transfer gossip, but you over-indugled and the line-up you have just shown us is too tantalizing/mouthwatering 😀

Despite Roo-knee (so JB doesn’t go BOOING) being an ideal fit for the nr10 role, I do not think he would join Arsenal if he was not promised to be played up front as the lone ST. I think he loss some confidence and morale when RVJ replaced him there and this may have initiated Utd’s false claims that Shrek wanted to leave the club (how stupid was that on their part by the way?!).

Aside from the fact that he’s PL proven, a rather clinical finisher, the thing that draws me in the most is that he’d add to our impressive English core. If our current English contingent can convince him to join us, that’d be a competitive advantage for us and if the rumours are true that he’s unhappy with RVJ and Utd, it’d be the ultimate payback/motivation to prove what a mistake Utd made in choosing “dat guy” over him.

Of course, this is simply dream world on my behalf since Shrek to Arsenal will never happen!!!

20. Highbury Harmony says:

By the way TA, I’m currently working on a post 🙂

21. Admir says:

Two things regarding Rooney that might sound interesting:

1) first time I watched Jack Wilshere (2008, against Real Madrid) he reminded me of Rooney with his spirit and willingness to win (and we need winners badly!), and

2) (I already wrote this one) Cazorla used to play with FAnchester United at PES because of Rooney. It might be a worthless fact but it also might suggest that our current players (as well as those that might become Arsenal players), even those that only recently came to Premiership, rate Rooney highly and his possible transfer to Arsenal might say a lot about our intentions to both our players and our other transfer targets.

22. Admir says:

Just to clear things up when I said that we need winners – what has been a pain in my bottom for the last eight years is our willingness to accept defeat against United or Chelsea as something normal. Rooney was 17-year-old when he scored a goal against us for Everton and ended our 30-game-unbeaten streak. He would never become a player he has been at United if he had an attitude. “Oh, it’s Drogba/Ronaldo on the other side of the pitch, we should just bend over, bite the pillow and hope it won’t last long.”

23. alexgunners says:

What a line up that would be. I would also prefer Cesc coming back but I just can’t see it happening.
    The Arsenal would definitely benefit from WR. He is strong and shoots from anywhere. That is exactly what we need.
    The other beneficiary would be the English squad. Theo, Ox, Rooney and Jack operating together on a weekly basis with the Arsenal would greatly improve the as well.

Cheers for comments guys – I will get back to you tomorrow 🙂

25. Highbury Harmony says:

Alex, very good point about the England squad benefitting as well! For some strange reason, that never crossed my mind…perhaps I am too narrow minded in how it would only benefit us hahaha!

Even more motivation for others in Rooney’s camp to convince him to join us. Get ‘er done boss! JB, should we pull a “hey wenger, sign Higuain” when AW next leaves a public event?

26. Highbury Harmony says:

Admir, how many times has Rooney and Ronaldo played against one another? The only times I can think of are: 1) vs. Portugal in Euro Cup in 2006 and 2) vs. Real Madrid in this year’s CL quarter finals. Not to dispute your point, but hasn’t Ronaldo’s side come out on top each time??

I do agree with your point though hahaha!

27. alexgunners says:

HH,

You are not narrow minded, for me it’s The Arsenal before all else so it’s completely understandable.

28. Highbury Harmony says:

Alex :), how are you these days mate?

What are your TW predictions if I may ask?

Morning all..
    TA.. I think you are becoming more funnier.. hahahaha..
    Bringing Rooney will ruin all the team..
    His 200k salary will only bring some jealousy for the squad..
    And for the longrun more players will go to other bigger club just for bigger salary.. hahaha..
    What will Walcott feel..?? When he only ask fir 100k.. and he got 95k.. and now you come with some new alien and pay him twice and more.. hahaha..

And why need Rooney.. sometime you all call him Sherk.. hehehe.. if Willshere and Ox are on their way to be in that position..??
    Although I think Santi Cazorla is the best but he also great for winger.. but not a RW.. which is the best position for Walcott.. hehehe..

Obviously.. I don’t like your new team.. hehehe.. No Ramsey there.. and Sagna will not be ours.. We just to let him go.. for the better of all.. hahaha.. believe me.. I’m know what I’m doing.. hehehe..
    Cazorla for RW.. haha.. You become more like Wenger.. even more adventurous.. hehehe..

Willshere for sure will take Rosicky role.. as Wenger already did for the last 6 (cmiiw..) games.. the place that you suggest for Rooney.. and Ox for subs.. although i think Eisfeld will do better.. hehe..
    Walcott will still in his best.. RW.. with Ox and Miyaichi for subs..
    Santi on LW.. and Gnabry for subs.. I think I must be reallistic not to protect Gervinho..
    Podolski will play as a CF.. alternately with Giroud.. and I don’t know will that mean no CF will coming..?? Is the Yaya (toure) Sanogo deal already confirm..??

Last word.. better to wish our ex captain.. our beloved star Fabregas that Rooney..

30. alexgunners says:

HH,
    I have been extremely busy with work so no time for play or leisure at the moment. I have set myself a goal of finishing up most of my projects in the next 3 months before the baby comes along. What about you?

As for my predictions, I don’t tend to believe all the rumours. When was the last time we really signed someone who we have been linked to? Definitely not Mata, Hazard and all others. AW does things his own way. As for who I would like to see, bring Cesc back and Higuain. The guy is a gun. Seen him in the Copa America and he destroyed defenders. A goal keeper, definitely Valdez. Someone with experience to mentor Chezza a little.

All I know is that we need to close the gap to the other top 3 as they will be investing as well.

31. Highbury Harmony says:

Nice to hear everything is going well and best of luck on completing your projects before the baby comes :)! Everything is good on my end, finally settled down after a lot of traveling for both business and vacation. Entering a slow period where I have a ton of free time, so I’m taking in all the transfer gossip head on :D.

The last players we were linked to that actually came to the club were all ones from last summer! Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla were all heavily linked but our reported interest only came about a week or two before the deals were actually completed ;). Nacho was completely out of the dark though!

I love your choices of Cesc, Higuain and Valdes. That would be quite a massive TW if we could accomplish all of those moves. My gut tells me that Cesc will stay at Barca and that AW will reinforce our CM with a more defensive minded player in Gonalons, Capoue, Benat, Pogba, Gundogan etc. I would love to have Higuain at the club, as he is my #1 choice to lead the line out of all the rumoured targets (realistic at least) but I guess we’ll have to see what happens since we’re linked to everyone these days…

32. Milo says:

I would rather we get Higuain, who is younger. We have had bad luck with assholes in our squad, such as Cole (we did win things with him, but he left us), and RVJ. Personally, I don’t think it will ever happen, Rooney coming to us, and I’m not going to worry about it. I wouldn’t want that adulterer anywhere near our club!

I think we need a midfield signing, as Jack might not be fully healthy by the start of next season, and a defensive midfield signing. Then we can worry about the striker situation. I’m not too fussed about the goalkeeping situation at the club, and I think Szczesny has had his needed wake-up call, and will be in top form next year.

I’m going to get bashed all over the place for saying that I don’t want Wayne Rooney anywhere near our club, but that is how I feel, and I’m prepared for it!

33. weedonald says:

With all due respect I can’t see it happening(but I’ve been wrong before-back in Dec.,1983 if memory serves me…but I could be wrong) because:

1) He isn’t really a Wenger player, too mercenary and at times very undisciplined.
    2) He won’t get the protection from refs and opponents that he enjoyed at United…perhaps just the opposite and he knows it.
    3) His wage demands would upset the harmony and chemistry at AFC….definitely not what Wenger wants.
    4) He apparently does not rate AFC very highly in terms of winning silverware or so I’m told and since he is nearing the end of his career, he’ll want to go out with a bang.
    5) He is a bit manipulative, Wenger would not take that kindly.
    6) He would cost too much and United usually don’t sell players of his quality to their competitors…..only Arsenal and a few others do.

I agree that he has a lot to bring to AFC but for the price, and the potential pain, we could do better which Wenger is entirely capable of managing.

34. Highbury Harmony says:

Milo, if anyone bashes you for sharing your opinion of not wanting Rooney at this club because of his noted past behavioural issues then you can bet I will defend you :). It is a very valid concern mate! I, too, would love to see Higuain at the club and to at least see a DM signing this summer. Let’s hope our wishes come true :).

35. Highbury Harmony says:

Wee, very good points and you make a very compelling argument :). It’s nice that you’ve displayed the negatives we are largely not considering if we did bring Rooney into this squad, as it is often not easy to do when contemplating bringing such a high profile player to a relatively top quality talent deprived squad. Good job mate!

36. Cannons of Rhetoric says:

If Rooney was unmotivated at ManU, what makes you think he’ll be motivated to play for Arsenal? He doesn’t look like he wants to play football anymore these days…

37. weedonald says:

Thanks HH. I don’t think our squad is necessarily too quality talent deprived but rather our quality talent is still developing and over the next 2-3 seasons players like the OX, Walcott, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Gibbs, Coquelin, Wilshere and Szcesny will grow into full manhood and Footballhood ( a newly coined euphemism) and become the super-players we desperately need.

38. Highbury Harmony says:

Wee, I’m talking about top end talent. For me, Ramsey is not a talented player but a very hard working player, same with Jenkinson to a lesser degree (has more talent than Ramsey). Walcott, Gibbs, Coquelin are all good or have good potential, but there’s a big difference between top quality and good.

Jack and Santi are the only top quality talents we have, while Ox (not included other youngsters) has the potential to be a top quality talent.

We are certainly derived of top end talent, which is defined by the type of player who can change the outcome of a game on his own and can create that something extra special that only a certain caliber of player can do.

39. Highbury Harmony says:

(not including other youngsters)*

40. Land of the Blind & the one eye man says:

If Arsenal wouldn’t pay 200K a week for a striker at the top of their game, what makes you think they would spend 200K a week on an over weight, smoker that has lost form?

You really need to apply a little common sense.

Wenger has shipped out players with questionable attitudes – Bentley, Pennant, Bentdner, Vela, Jeffers etc. alot being English, this is also someone that has held his club to ransom by threatening to go to the biggest rival and the numerous toys out the pram incidents….

So do you double the wage structure for a player that appears to have lost his drive…?

The fact people are talking about this and it actually made print tells you alot about the media, and their motives.

41. magnum says:

At last JW fan boys came to point that he cannot be play maker, now they are looking to take on easy option Ramsey to place him in midfield. As much i value JW potential and skills, at the moment Ramsey edges him for that role. Also, seen some stats been compared, first and foremost, it is not apple to apple comparison. JW played a play maker role and Ramsey played B2B role so in all honesty JW stats should naturally be way higher than Ramsey but that isn’t the case.

There was stats on chance created JW (47), Ramsey (44) and Theo (38). Where is the vision here that you all cry about?

My point was don’t hype too much, let him do the talking on the pitch. One good season along side Fabregas doesn’t make anyone great, ask Helb.

Let’s hope AW sign a creative talent who has vision to pick the right passes and through balls. I am fine even that person doesn’t score much on his own but create chances for others like Xavi.

Spreading my reply over the two blogs ….

Last night my editorial frontman HH, went 1 to 1 with AFC, and got the latter to agree to ‘our’ view that we do need improvements/upgrades in most areas of the pitch?

I am taking 0-1-2-3 formation in terms of need, balanced with financial limits, that might just get stretched beyond what we think we have to spend?

GK – Not a high priority to find an experienced back up for Szcz(Sir Chez, if you prefer?).
    Depends on who leaves though.

Back four – Cover for BFG. Similar qualities, but able to turn quickly?
    Depends who, if anybody leaves – Keep both TV5 and Sagna preferably?

Midfield – DM + AM. The former, a quality player who ‘knows’ this position, but has a skilled passing range.
    The latter, a skillful technical player who can dribble, take play forwards at speed and can score. Not only that, but also an eye for the key pass, and late runs into the box?
    Young version of Rosicky, who is our main man when he is fit? (or the Ox to be in the future?)
    No departures from the team that finished the season. No returnees either … Please!

Strikers – One striker who is No 9, but different skill set to Giroud(your £30m man?).
    Second purchase, the No10 role as second striker. Needs to be technically and physically capable in the EPL, and works with Giroud(and others) to get us that 40+ goals a season partnership
    Third striker … we have already got in Sanogo. He will be the back up alternative brought along slowly as his fitness issues are addressed. Long term project, but very astute buy if it turns out well?
    Departures? Gervihno I think is highly likely, especially as he could be used in a part ex+cash for one of the above … Cavani would be nice, and I think he would rather live in London than Manchester? But that is fantasy thinking.
    Also, Podolski might want to reconsider his position before the window closes, if he wants game time to get into the German World Cup squad? But that may depend on who comes in?

Total bill(without wages):
    £6m
    £12m
    £15m + £15m
    £30m + £20m + £0m ?

Total £98m minus whatever for Gervinho

Will Stan go for that? Or will AW negotiate down some of these figures to around £80m?

That is the way I would go, rather than £50m on one striker, £15 on a DM and loose change on the GK/CB. Both are possible?

Whilst concluding my thinking, integration into the team will also be key. Almost from the start we will have two games a week with the qualifiers, which will involve travelling. So there will be opportunities for all to strut their stuff. But I will be surprised if, baring injuries, if more than two new faces make the team for the first league match? By Christmas, if not before, AW will know who makes up our strongest line up, but rotation will still be very important.

I hope that is food for thought for the next blog TA …?

Morning fine fellow Gooners 🙂

The post is mainly a bit of fun as I, like many of you, just cannot see it happen. But I am assuming if he were to come Arsene would have made sure he is fully up for it: without that he would never come, obviously.

I cannot see the wages issue a real problem, as most fellow Gunners would accept that Rooney is in his best part of his career (he is 27) and brings experience and goals. They would all benefit from his arrival, at least from a sporting point a view.

I am surprised only a few can see the advantages of having a fellow, experienced, done-it-all Englishman in our emerging squad/ able to guide our British talents as an on-field mentor. In my view, this would be invaluable, and would likely help to inspire this team to the next level.

I think Admir comments summarise my views best today.

Finally, Whether Rooney would play in the hole – the one position Wenger appears to be looking for – or as our nr.9, does not matter to me much. The man would make a big, big instant difference to our team,wherever he would play. He would have a transformational impact on the team.

It is probably not going to happen, but this summer Wenger could suprise us all…. 🙂

44. JGC says:

TA

Is this really far fetched for a blog commemorating DB10. Let’s do a stock take:

– skills
    – competitive as hell
    – potentially bad tempered if things not going 100%
    – scores beautifully AND when not deserving
    – good vision and passing ability
    – experience and proven capability across the board

So, besides the poor taste in second women and lack of blonde hair what makes him SOO different?

AND, he has Presence! (did you get my email about that, aside?) which means he attracts the other teams focus and makes all around him better.

So, wages would be an issue but potentially solvable… Maybe not the obvious choice, but also worth considering in fantasy land, where red nose et al have no say…

Cheers — jgc

45. Highbury Harmony says:

Magnum, I’m glad you brought that up since you are 100% incorrect.

First of all, the stats only incorporate league games, so that would be 7 starts as a CAM. But, 7 games as a CAM must surely skew the key passes statistics in JW’s favour over AR right?

Wrong. In those seven games he played at CAM, he accumulated 14 key passes in total, which in case you’re wondering over 7 games is 2.0 key passes per game. So, in fact his key passes per game actually decreased as a result of playing at CAM, thus ending the silly debate that AR is somehow better than Jack offensively at the B2B position or at the position at all (it’s not even close).

Now, people like to point to AR’s record when playing the B2B role. Well, Jack went 8 wins 2 losses and 4 draws when playing as a B2B mid. The 2 losses were against the 1st (Utd) and 2nd (went down to 10 men vs. City in first 10 mins.) placed clubs, while 1 draw (Liverpool) and 1 win (West Ham) were playing alongside Ramsey in the DM pivot. There was one more loss vs. Swansea when Jack started at the B2B position, but he was subbed off in the 80th minute and Michu scored both goals after he left the pitch in the 89th and 90th minutes.

So, what am I trying to say by comparing the records when each player plays at the DM/B2B role? That AR’s record is not that impressive at the B2B role and that JW’s record when starting in the B2B role is largely understated because of 2 losses that were ultimately to 2 much better clubs. What is impressive is AR’s adaptation to the DM role, which I believe he is better at than Jack, since AR is not nearly as skilled nor offensively gifted.

46. oooo_santi says:

Great Article almost orgasmic!! What about a midfield Diamond?

Sczeney
    Jenkinson – Mert – Kos – Gibbs
    Ramsey – Wilshire (Ramsey to harrass, Wilshire playmaking midfielder)
    AOC – Cazorla (both drop into a wide position when we don’t have the ball)
    Rooney (Free role)
    Walcott (speedster)

47. Gooner4eva49 says:

Don’t care how good anyone is and if they become really cheap, I cannot accept a diving fat granny shagging shenanigen ****, that cheated our unbeaten run. No way nor ever.

shenanigen (its ur nan again)

48. plive says:

interesting thought about rooney, i dont think we should go for him.

This season we finally became a team, we worked hard as a team. In the past we had RVP, fabregas, henry etc to carry the team. I would prefer wenger to buy three excellent players.

one of the reasons why podolski hasnt been an influence is when he was in the bundesliga he was in a team that relied on him to come up with the goods, he has the freedom to do what he wanted.

If our interest in grenier and gonalons as true why not offer cash and gervinho since they want him. The benefit of these two is they are taught in a wenger sort of method at lyon.

How about hamsik, he seems to have dissapeared is he injured? de griezmann ? knowing wenger he will go for gourcuff – supremely talented but no form and needs guidance.

I think we missed a signing in coutinho, he would have fit in with ease, look at how cheap he was also.

49. Admir says:

@HH – you may have something there. 🙂 Rooney was sent off at WC 2006 against Portugal for stamping on Carvalho’s cojones and Ronaldo – of all people – insisted that the referee sent Rooney off. Now, I understand that Ronaldo showed desire for his national team to win but to do that to your team-mate from the club says a lot about your character. However, despite some reports that Rooney told he would kill Ronaldo when they return to Manchester, instead of that, they went on to win three consecutive Premierships and Champions’ League.

Now when you mention their clash from this year – it’s hardly Rooney’s fault United felt short against Real. While a lot of people that got used to criteria established by Ferguson’s Association regarding United players’ sent offs were furious at the Turkish referee, only a few dared to mention that Rooney should have played from the first minute (neither Giggs nor Welbeck have what it takes for that sort of games). With Rooney on the pitch United actually created some chances despite playing with ten men.

When I wrote my text whether we should go for Rooney, in the section CONTRA his signing, I mentioned the very same thing weedonald also wrote about referees. In our shirt Rooney would hardly get the same level of protection he has had in United.

Speaking of grannies, I don’t know why people even mention that argument when they say they are against Rooney’s coming to Arsenal. His wage would be too high? That’s a valid argument. Even the rarely used: “Why we sold Van Persie last summer just to sign He is a trouble-maker? That’s a valid argument…but let’s not forget Wenger managed to pull the best out of Nasri, Anelka, Adebayor, Van Persie. But…grannies? Unless you are attending games with your grannies (for which you get two points for your ability to Arsenalize your family), you shouldn’t be worried about that one. 😉

@plive – hello! 🙂 Coutinho might turn out to be a real gem for Liverpool, unfortunately. I’ve been impressed with his skills while he was playing for Inter against Spuds two years ago.

Yesterday afternoon, once I stopped throwing up, I wrote why Rooney was a bad idea…. Unfortunately, when I went to post it, my internet connection crashed and I lost the whole comment….

Oh well…

This morning, reading the comments, I see that most everybody has come up with the correct answers… We don’t want, nor need the cheating fat boy who held SAF to ransom. Yes, he’s a good player, you know, when he bothers to keep his fitness going and when he’s not pouting and maybe he’s gotten to the point where his cheating is mostly only on the field and with his barnet. Still, is this the guy we’re gonna break the wage structure for? I’m sure the little boy inside our own RvP would’ve been just fine had we put him on 200k/week….

So, sometimes when I’ve gotten really sick, I try to take a glance at what I’ve actually thrown up–to see if it was something I ate….And yesterday it turned out to be the smallest of my Russian dolls, you know, the one that represents the values of the Arsenal…. If we only hate on our ex-players, the ones we’ve sold (Ade-run-the-length-of-the-pitch or RvJudas or Cashley Cole) what have we become? Self-haters, that’s what….

No, we NEED Wayne Rooney (and John Terry and Steven Gerrard, etc.) as objects for our hatred and we need them to stay on their own f**king teams!!!

OK, that’s just me, and I can “see” why Rooney (and Terry and Gerrard) are good players and how they could help our “work in progress.” Still, my little Russian doll says no…

Finally, if TA, our human resource expert, (and I had a Post all written for you, my friend, but now, I don’t know….), can talk about introverts and extroverts (and ambiverts!?!) I want to get back to some old-school physiognomy and suggest that endomorphs like Rooney peak early and then start to have fitness (fatness) issues earlier as well. (And this is another reason we should’ve broken the wage structure to keep RvP, an ectomorph, who is finally able to keep some muscle on his frame)…. Anyway, we’ve got our own English (endomorph) powerhouse in (still only) 19 year old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Some actually call him the new Rooney (ugh, barf-taste, again…) and I think both players have the power to dominate and overwhelm defenders. If they bring the ball with them they’ve both got some finishing skill (our guy might need to develop a better eye for his teammates…), and, if not, they both have shown they know how to go spread-eagle and get the ref to point at the spot. The Ox may not be there quite yet but his time is coming, and time with the England squad (and lectures about hair transplants and the best lagers and cigs and where to find the hotties with the best leg tattoos…) is probably plenty enough “learning” from the Roo’…

So, there you go. Sorry Bond, Sorry TA, (and any others….) I say no….

😉 😈 😆

well if teams with average attendance of just over 5000 can attract and make big money signings without being in CL then i reckon we need at least one signing that shows we mean business !

those were fine comments by Gerry and Jgc, however with the likes of Falcao (Monaco) and Cavani (Man city) nearly done possibly, there’s not a whole lot of quality or big name forwards out there, hulk is another one ?

i notice the absence of 17ht from this article, he must really love Rooney 😀

people who’re against the signing of rooney on discipline issues and so on, are forgetting that if he had such issues then he wouldn’t have survived at man utd for as long as he did under SAF, also those who are suggesting that he is a spent force should watch the last game where Rooney played with our boys JW and THEO, it was like watching the arsenal of old offensively with crisp passing and beautiful footy between those 3.

another friendly tonight, let’s see how theo/ox and rooney perform.

hahaha, exactly 17. What kind of bloke has a hair transplant, granny shags, smokes 40 a day, is half cut pissed every night, and is generaly regarded by those who know him as a nasty piece of work?? hahahaha

deja vu, i mention 17ht and he posts as i was typing it all, crickey

interesting developments, espn usually get it right..

25 million for Cesc ? sounds like a bargain to me for utd, however we have first refusal and barca owe us money, so we could potentially get him in the region of 12-15 million mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

by the way, for the avoidance of doubt we offered the little boy inside the big traitor £125,000 k a week with £5 million big ones up front as signing bonus , i don’t know about the rest of you but £5 million signing on bonus along with other performance related bonuses sounds like a fair deal to me.

let’s face it, even if we offered 200 k a week to the traitor, he still would have wanted out as utd were already in his head playing with the little boy inside.

55. Nick D says:

New DM = Vermaelen? Might just work

56. Ambangile from dar es salaam,tanzania. says:

Will be great to watch rooney in arsenal jersey although it is nearly impossible.

57. Highbury Harmony says:

Admir, all I was really trying to point out was that Ronaldo and Rooney have never really gotten the chance to face off! Each time they do, one gets sent off or comes on as a sub ;).

I’m not too worried about Rooney not getting the protection from the refs. He’s a bullish, strong lad who likes to get in the thick of things and is unphased by the rough and tumble of the game. But, there are several other reasons that Wee has highlighted that could ultimately lead to Rooney being a bad acquisition.

58. Highbury Harmony says:

Terry are you talking about yourself? Because we love having you on BK so don’t think you’re a bloke that had a hair transplant, granny shags, smoked 40 a day, is half cut pissed every night, and is generaly regarded by those who know him as a nasty piece of work?? hahaha!

so that’s the Ox and theo playing on the flanks with Rooney in a DB role 😉 giroud playing up front i mean sturridge obviously…

this will be a very interesting game to watch, well done to the manager

60. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, if we passed on Cesc for £25 million then we’d be the stupidest club in the world and I agree that AW is a complete moron who should be fired. However, if Cesc just does not want to come back here and wants to join that f@gg*t van Judas at Manure, then I’ll hate Cesc even more for lying to us and being a traitor (at least RVJ was honest that he’s a glory hunting mercenary).

61. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha JB stop mentioning Hulk, I don’t want that piece of junk at the Emirates and his mercenary ways are better off at oil-rich clubs like Zenit. He’s not even a ST but a RW.

62. Highbury Harmony says:

Liverpool agree terms with ST Iago Aspas from Celta Vigo.

63. Highbury Harmony says:

Apparently Sanogo will not be loaned anywhere and Arsene plans to have Sanogo with the first-team. Could be a 3rd choice ST unless he shocks us all like Benteke.

64. AFC says:

17ht, on the subject of endomorphs and ectomorpths, we should be looking for a mesomorph with PRESENCE! 🙂

65. AFC says:

HH, if Sanago will remain with the first maybe Wenger will try to win trophies through strength in depth rather than 1 or 2 top quality players. Also Sanago will be useful in filling in for any of our strikers who get injured.

66. AFC says:

* first team

hahaha, Harmonious, nahh, i wasnt talking about myself, ime usualy steaming pissed to be described as half cut, amd i have cut back on the fags.

My take on Rooney is that it just wont happen, and neither will Fabregas rejoin. Come to think about it i dont think Higuains coming either, and i have serious doubts abput Jovetic arriving.

Just because we have more more money it dosnt mean we will abandon our philosophy or pricnciples. We will still look to promote within, and wait for the likes of Wilshere and Ox to develop. Though the extra cash means we can seriously negotiate for the likes of Jovetic, i cant see the club destroying its wage structure over night, and they certainly wont succumb to the desires of greedy agents

I dont think what ive said is doom and gloom. Our situation will develop over a
    2 to 4 year period were new players demands are synchronised with improved contracts for exsisting players. In addition we will be much stronger in fending off predators hungry for the talent of wilshere etc.

Its all good, but it will be done in the right way and over a longer period of time than people think.

Sorry for been a kill joy, but past experience and the way the club operates makes me think we might have to be a bit more paitent. Though ime convinced this policy will finaly bring great rewards.

Evening guys, just returned from a day in Cambridge.

Hope you are all okay and let’s see how our future attacking spine will deal with the Irish hahahaa 🙂

17 Great, passionate comment and you might have a point. I really believe Wenger can get the best out of him, and I have no doubt he would give his all for us. Wenger would not attract an experienced player who does not fit in the smallest Russian doll, so if he comes he will be value proof! 🙂

Terry 🙂

What has happened with those stiring ghosts from the thirties?!

17 – really looking fwd to your draft post!

jgc – yes received your email and will repsond in a bit.

HH – really looking forward to your new post as well, and same goes for AFC 😛

70. Admir says:

Podolski scored for Germany against Ecuador and one of the Benders nailed one as well! 🙂

There still stiring TA, we will get there, even possibly next season.

I guess what i am saying is that our rise is evoloutionary as opposed to the crash bang wallop approach.

The new found finances at our disposal will i believe be used in a “sensible” way. Our wage structure. and hence our ability to both procure players and keep our exsisting ones will evolve over the right time period, not overnight, this is simply not feasable.

Arsenal have been run like this for longer than people think. After we won the double in 71 we went out and bought a certain Alan Ball, great player and world cup winner. He arrived at the club and instantaneously became our highest wage earner. the rest of the squad didnt like him, and despite his quality we won nothing for seven years

As others have said, theres a lot to look forward to. Lets just be paitent and we will ceratinly be rewarded.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stiring

Cheers for update Admir 🙂

Terry – I agree with you and yet believe we will add quality this summer. 🙂

I’m with Terry about thinking for the long-haul. It will all be detailed in my upcoming post 😆

The whole Rooney to us, Cesc to them stuff is getting close to a final straw for this camel’s back….And it makes me ponder how we’re getting our information. I really think something just gets mentioned somewhere and then it gets picked up and soon enough people believe it…It’s like that game (telephone?) where kids sit in a circle and somebody starts with a whisper in the ear to their neighbor and it continues around until it comes out (as something completely different) at the other end. Anyhow, we need an announcement to make a little sense of things and Sanogo staying with first team (if he’s not in the physio room…) is not enough!

A 2nd thing I’ve been pondering (and I think I hit on it above) is the change toward a more intellectual, theoretical, anything-is-possible-so let’s-consider-it bent among Arsenal supporters. It’s a coping mechanism for things like selling your best player to United or celebrating 4th place as if it were a trophy. I think it’s fine to consider Rooney coming to the club (but then why not Hulk?…) but I still need figures to despise and until Rooney wears the shirt, (not the one that’s been photoshopped onto him….) I will cringe when I see Theo or the Ox celebrate with him (here in a minute in the friendly vs Rep. of Ireland)…. For me, that’s the ultimate anti-boing….(In fact, if I’m ever in danger of losing my wazza prematurely, that’s all I have to think about…)

On a final note, maybe Bond should write his maiden post on Monaco and WTF is going on there…You’ve played a bit of baccarat there in your day, no?….

(Ox draws the first foul in the friendly, the new Rooney, I say….)

Oops, jogging Ox gives Coleman all day to line up his (perfect) cross to Shane Long.

England nil — Ireland 1

75. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I haven’t a clue as to what AW will do, nor does any of us. After hearing his post-season presser, I really do believe he will actually strengthen this team to compete at the top and will not use signings like Sanogo to cover his tracks (so to say).

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what will happen, but generally the quieter it is (like it is now), the more likely something will give way :).

76. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, this post is proving rather difficult to write. I’m on 5 pages already and it’s not even half done!

77. Highbury Harmony says:

Terry @ 19:53, very, very well said my friend 😀

78. Gooner4eva49 says:

The mention of grannies is not the sole meaning and reasoning of the argument. The sole purpose of the argument is to not -allow-that shrek freckle force field plug eared evertonian blue sappy eyed **** to join us.

Which he so happens to be a diving fat granny shagging shenanigen ****, that cheated our unbeaten run.

Yes of course wage is a topic to make a point of, but why when it has already been mentioned a few times.

I haven’t seen any of the above ‘traits’ of our Wayne mentioned.

ESPECIALLY DIVING TO SPOIL OUR UNBEATEN RUN.

Look if you have a thing about shagging grannies that’s fine, no need to defend it. If that’s your thing, that’s your thing go ahead

79. Gooner4eva49 says:

🙂 smiley face

80. Highbury Harmony says:

Ox looking great so far against Ireland 🙂

81. Highbury Harmony says:

Walcott also just dribbled around an Ireland defender with a really nice move!

82. Highbury Harmony says:

We should really make one of our kits white like the English National team…so classy and most of our core is English as it is!

83. Highbury Harmony says:

Walcott and G.Johnson really combine very, very well, shades of Gibbs and Podolski with more pace and chances created!

HH, what are you on about….White kits? Like Spurs? No thanks…

I agree about Theo and Ox looking pretty good in the match. Ox might’ve (at least) moved with some urgency towards Coleman on his inch-perfect cross for the goal…but overall I really am starting to like his work on the ball in deeper parts of the pitch…So much for the problems with our MF, eh 😆

Also, my “post” is ready for e-mail, only 1600 words… real brevity (for me)…

Look out TA, here it comes…..

85. weedonald says:

Hey HH….do you have a day job or are you on the net 24/7 like me (a retired dirty old man now become a sexy senior citizen)?

86. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahahaha Wee, hilarious comment :D.

I am in management consulting, which means I experience extremely busy periods and extremely quiet ones too. It’s usually a pattern of 2 months working hard, 1 month off sort of deal. Trying to take in as much of the TW this year and blogging as much as possible, as things will really pick up (work wise) this coming fall when I’ll be moving to Washington for a more gruelling, demanding role.

there you have it, the link up play between shrek, ox and theo was a thing of beauty to watch,

however the finishing was poor,

best chances of the game fell to our boys and they failed to deliver, OX should have scored or least picked out theo standing right next to him…

anyhow 1-1

and a bad result at home….roll on brazil !

88. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht, are you serious?

That is still one of the nicest kits we’ve ever worn imo and nothing like Spuds’ one!

The MF is far from being resolved as Theo is a RW and Ox a CAM/LW!!! I’ve never been too concerned about our wing players/CAM, but do believe we need to add a DM for depth at the very least.

Excited to read your virgin post mate! 😉

89. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, didn’t you feel that England was really missing something aka a creative midfielder? The combo of Jack-Rooney-Ox-Theo is even more threatening with the likes of Gerrard, GJ, Cole and Carrick behind them!

GJ’s defending leaves much to be desired, but his combination play with Theo going forward was tantalizing.

yes, lampard looked well spent, not sure why he wasn’t subbed, apart from the goal he had scored not very good

jack was the missing link no doubt, you nailed it – HH

All agreed Jambo

Second half was much better in terms of tempo and structure to the game. Shrek MotM for me and showed to us how well suited he is for the hole.

Ox looked lively and composed at the same time. Once he’ll start scoring, he will move it all a step up again. Theo also worked hard and had good thrust. Both could have done with better decision making in the box, but the real weakness was the striker position tonight.

92. Highbury Harmony says:

Exactly TA, Ox just needs some work on his play in the final third, more so his finishing and he’ll soon be a world beater :D. Rooney dropped back far too often to compensate for the lack of a true CAM, which is where Jack would have come into play. England are just missing that creative spark from midfield and it’s evident that Lampard/Gerrard cannot fill that void. A lot of their future success hinges on Jack’s health…

HH, is there any way you could split your post in two or three (make it a sequal)? 🙂

17 – Bring it on! I am checking the BK mail every five minutes. 😛

94. Highbury Harmony says:

——————-Rooney————————
    Ox—————Wilshere————–Walcott
    ———???—————–Ramsey————
    Gibbs–Koscielny–Mertesacker–Jenkinson
    ——————Szczesny————————

“Hey Wenger! Buy Moar British!!!!!”

95. Highbury Harmony says:

Hmm TA, I certainly could! Certainly an interesting proposition, but it may take away some of the satire/humour I’ve written at the start about Bale 👿

Agreed HH, although Gerrard would have had more impact than Fat Fwank.

HH

I am happy with a really long post or it all split in two or three. It is up to you: I love short and sharp as well as epic! 😛

Haha, Total…. Too long, eh…

I was actually pulling out (what’s left of) my hair, trying to figure out how to attach it to an e-mail…

Instead, I can start over and cut it in half….Might take a couple of days….however…. 😉

Golden chance there at the end for the Ox, but the keeper committed and Ox couldn’t change his plan….

99. Highbury Harmony says:

He had Theo all open to his right, but I don’t blame him for a second for taking that shot.

100. johnnie nyc says:

that whole Cesc to United thing is my nightmare. It just cant be true. it better not be. — Rooney, I just cant picture him with us… and also Arsene spending a lot of money on someone with a lot of years on him already, and probably wouldn’t have much sell on value later.

17 – just highlight, copy and paste the text straight into an email and send it me, Job done. Don’t worry about lengt: most of us are not champions of brevity! 🙂

I reckon Oxie did not connect fully with his foot which left the GK with a chance. Over-eagerness is the enemy of composure, and at 20 the Ox can be forgiven!

103. Highbury Harmony says:

20? TA, he’s still 19, not 20 until August!

Hi Johnnie

You are probably right, but if Arsene wants to make a leap forward with this team it is a serious option, no?

Even youngerish then! It is great to see that Hodgson has so much trust in him.

106. Highbury Harmony says:

As alex pointed out, the prospect of Rooney, Jack, Ox, Theo, Gibbs and Jenko all linking up with one another frequently for both country and club is a tantalizing prospect. Players like Rooney just do not come around often if he is indeed available. Sure, there’s some baggage there, but one cannot deny the impact he’d have and the instant chemistry we’d see.

I still don’t see Cesc leaving Barca this summer, it makes 0 sense, especially to a club that is a tier below the the top, top (aka Barca, Real, Bayern etc.).

TA, you’ve got mail….

HH, that Rooney stuff still makes me taste throw-up…. Lots of looks out Theo’s way from him in the friendly… A lot of our boys could use some work on the high-angled pull back to a more central trailing striker…. Still, I’d prefer if that guy were Giroud or Poldi or Higuain or Jovetic. Rooney with white sleeves still makes me queasy. (Luckily, hell will be freezing over before it happens….) And on the kits, Red with (real) white sleeves are preferred and I’ll take the mustard yellow and even the purple before the white kits–I dunno, maybe it’s just a personal preference…I didn’t like that earlier white (3rd) kit, either….

Cheers 17, mail arrived. I will have a look at it now and publish it in a bit! 🙂

109. weedonald says:

In my previous reincarnation I was a partner in the Hr consulting services of Deloitte-Touche and loved it for a time….but much prefer poverty and retirement!

New Post – New Post! 🙂

17ht has written a very fine maiden post! Inspired by a comment Theo made after our last game of the season, 17ht reviews the past, the current and what the near future is likely to bring, focussing for a big part on the ages and talent levels of our first team players. Enjoy! 🙂

111. usmanov says:

look im very upset that fabregas wants to even go to united i remmember him saying arsenal is my home ill come back, hes a lier i will if id have the chance kill united for taking 2 wicked classy players if it happens