Five Sporting Incentives for Rooney to Join Arsenal Now

wayne-rooney_2372178b

Unlike the links with Jovetic, which seem to have disappeared completely now, we continue to be linked with Wayne Rooney. Apparently the club have made an offer for Rooney somewhere in the region of £20m, but I am not sure how much truth there is in this.

There are many Gooners who do not want us to sign Rooney: they say that he is ‘past it now’, does not fit with Arsenal’s values, or would simply cost too much / be on too high wages compared to the rest. When I spoke a Spud mate of mine about the desperate-for-hair Englishman possibly joining Arsenal this summer, he laughed and said ‘I really hope you get him, I really do’.

I have always been a reluctant admirer of Rooney-the-footballer. I like his drive, his physical strength, his technical skills, his football intelligence and, most of all, his winner’s mentality. His diving and occasional indiscipline, although the latter is less of an issue now, go against him, and he also seems to be mainly motivated by earning as much money as possible.

If the latter is really still the case, I don’t want him at Arsenal.

But if he is looking for a new opportunity to leave something behind once more, and become once again a pivotal player in a new team that is going places, Arsenal would be a great team for him right now.

What would be key for me is: he needs to have an intrinsic desire to come to Arsenal and win things with us. I have no doubt that Arsene would be the best judge of this, and if he was to go for Rooney, I am sure the Englishman would join us with the right motivation.

I cannot see it happen myself, as his wage demands are hard to meet; not necessarily financially, but more in terms of wage discrepancy between him and the rest of the squad, and the potential impact on team morale. I also much prefer Fabregas to return to us, or Jovetic to join us this summer.

But let’s say, for the sake of debate, that Arsenal will sort this out somehow; the question is then, what could be the sporting incentives for Rooney to join us?

1. Rooney would become the pivot of the team, and most likely positioned in the ‘hole-position’. Whether he would work with Giroud, Podolski or Higuain up-front there is little doubt in my mind our attack would become far deadlier. With Theo and Cazorla (or Pod) on the wings he would be able to add another attacking dimension to our play, as he can redistribute the ball and assist as well as he can convert chances himself. Very few other top teams would be able to offer him such a guaranteed, pivotal role.
  2. As per above, Rooney would really enjoy himself in this free role: he would be able to display his full range of skills and, once again, get the recognition he is craving for. If playing proper football in which he can express himself to the full is what he is really after, Arsenal are his best option right now.
  3. The five time PL, and one time CL, winner would be a great mentor to the rest of the team, and especially to our young, British core: Gibbs, Ox, Jack, Rambo, Jenkinson and Theo would all benefit from his experience and guidance on and off the pitch. If Rooney would crave for such a responsibility/role, Arsenal is his team.
  4. One of the additional benefits of the third point is Rooney will be able to be directly part of what is likely going to be the very core of the England national team going forward. In the next few big tournaments, England’s (attacking) core will likely be built around Jack, Ox, Theo and Rooney (with likely gradual bigger roles for Jenkinson and Gibbs as well). It would be of great benefit to Rooney if he can work and play with these players in the same team week in week out. If he really craves for international success with England then moving to Arsenal would be a shrewd thing to do.
  5. The captaincy role is up for grabs at Arsenal. TV5 is very likely not to continue as our captain, and it remains to be seen whether Arteta will remain as central to our team as he was during the last two seasons. If Arsene, and I realise this is a big IF, is convinced Rooney would come to Arsenal with the right mentality/motivation then Rooney would be a good choice for captaining the team.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain England

I have to say, a part of me still feels uncomfortable with the possibility of Rooney joining our beloved Arsenal, but if he would really want to come for the reasons mentioned above, and Arsene would sanction it, I could see it work out really well.

What do you say, fine fellow Gooners?

Written by: TotalArsenal.

112 Responses to Five Sporting Incentives for Rooney to Join Arsenal Now

1. AFC says:

TA, thank you for a very well-written post. 🙂

United fans generally do not care if Rooney goes. A lot of United fans do not like Rooney lifestyle and say he is immature. He cries when he is out of the team for a second and I can see their point. Rooney was top dog at United but then RVP joined and became United’s star player and now he wants to leave. Jealousy? Greedy? Selfish? Maybd.

Nonetheless, Rooney is still the best no.10 in England and one of the best in the world. He would be a good signing, not an excellent signing. He is an experienced player who has won trophies. Not to mention we would be signing one of United’s best players.

2. AFC says:

Wages are not really an issue in my opinion because if we really wanted we could pay him 100-150k a week with added bonuses to make up the rest of the money he wants. Regarding transfer fee, I would pay 25 million and would stretch to 30 million tops. I say this because the fact that he is English, has PL experience, plays for a top PL team and plays for one of our biggest rivals which would justify 25-30 million. Any money spent on Rooney would be recovered with a huge profit through shirt sales, sponsorship deals etc. as he is England’s most marketable player.

Thanks AFC and all agreed. I would not pay more than £25m and it all should be seen as a big investment in developing the team to the next level.

The PL and CL winning experience combined with a real desire/hunger to win with us would make a big difference to the team.

Rather than being petulant, I reckon he is bored at MU and wants a new challenge, and I guess working with Moyes will be seen as a step backwards by him…

4. AFC says:

TA, as I said above I would pay 30 million if other clubs are in for him and it becomes an auction. He could be bored at United. Maybe he was sick of SAF trying to control him.

5. AFC says:

TA, do you know when we will get the money that Barca owe us from the sales of Cesc and Song?

No AFC – I guess this is not known to the general public.

7. AFC says:

TA, Di Maria of Real is apparently available for clubs who can reach Real’s valuation. Could be a good option. Walcott could be rotated with Di Maria. Thoughts?

8. alexgunners says:

Fine Post.
    Rooney for me would be a great pick up. Yes at times he seems disinterested but was this due to the arrival of the ReallyVilePrick? In my opinion, he is not past it at all.
    He has a drive and the skill set that would slot right into our attacking lines.
    He has a lethal strike and will shoot from anywhere. On top of that i believe that he still can offer a lot to us not just offensively. He has ‘Presence’ (refer to JGC’s previous post). This is what we need. He is also good at helping out in midfield. Remember our game at Old Toilet earlier last season where he put so much pressure on Arteta. Zorro could not dominate and had no space. It is all about how AW believes he can utilise him and keep him motivated.

As I have said in a previous post, Imagine how beneficial it would be for the English team with Shrek playing regularly and training with Theo and Ox. Definitely a plus.

On another note : GO BRAZIL!!!!!
    COYG

TA.. I must say NO..
    Better bringback Fabregas to play in his rules. Better paid 20 millions to Barca (means we rate Fabregas for 40 millions) and pay him the highest wage of all Arsenal players.. rather than to pay 250k/week for Rooney.. hehehe..

And As you said he had already win 5 PL and 1 CL.. I don’t think he still have a big ambition to win tittle with us..
    He only need to prove in England team.. just as Messi did.. but even if he play for QPR.. he will still be England striker.. hahaha..
    In MU.. he still get his place if he was fit.. no Welbeck or Hernandes will take his place.. RvP is a different ST.. for MU played 4-4-2.. double strikers..

So better bring somebody with big motivation to win.. somebody like Cazorla..
    Higuan or Fabregas have that motivation.. have something to prove.. because they lost their position in team.. and sometime in their national team.. they won’t that to happened.. no good player want to warm the bench.. and both of them are indeed a good player..

Is TW already open..?? here in Indonesia was 7 PM of 1st July.. hehehe..
    I wish the drama will soon be over.. and We will be a better team.. and win some trophies..
    Go Gunners..

10. AFC says:

Henry, I feel Fabregas will never come back and that is why Barca were happy for clauses to be put into the contract. They knew once they got him they would never sell him.

I think most of the argument for Rooney to sign is based on the premise that not only can he reach the heights of his not so recent past, but more importantly, sustain that for at least 3 years of a 4 year contract?

For my way of thinking, that is a bigger punt than signing Le Gren to fulfill his potential at a cost of £18m?

I think his off-field lifestyle is going to make it hard to keep super fit to be fully effective if we are to play the 11-man defense, and speedy transfer in attack, that we finished the season so successfully? I can see the novelty wearing off as soon as he is not nominated as MOTM a few times?

In theory, it he did sign, it might be a coup for us. The theory might fall down in reality though, and if United are having a £35m price quoted for ‘rival clubs’ and the £25m for eslewhere in Europe, I really hope we do go that far?

As for the Higuain thing, I think Real are just trying to squeeze as much out of us ‘up front’, rather than deferred terms, and this is the sticking point? Remember why Juve pulled out? I cannot see Inter have that much more pulling power in that respect, so I still think they will reach agreement, even if it compromises us in other deals down the line?

AFC.. Maybe you’re right about Fabregas.. but being left behind in team.. is a very serious thing for big player.. and for that reason something may happen.. hehehe..

Yes.. offcourse that including Rooney.. but as I said We wasn’t really been left behind.. he still MU first choice.. the only problem is that he can’t scores as much as before..
    And I don’t think he will accept 150k/week.. not if others club like Monaco or PSG or even Madrid and Barca were also interest in him..
    He wasn’t in position of no choice.. he had so much choice.. more attractive one’s..
    The only possibility that he will be our player is his hatred of RvP.. but I don’t see any kind of feeling in Rooney.. hehehe..

13. AFC says:

Henry, if w could give Rooney up to 150k with added bonuses he might accept.

14. AFC says:

Man City- Man U will never sign Rooney to their biggest rivals.
    Bayern- Cannot imagine Rooney moving to Germany with his family, learning German etc.
    Barca- Where would he play. Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Neymar, Messi would all be ahead of him.
    Real- Again where would Rooney play. Rooney is at his best when playing as a SS. So that means Ozil would have to be taken out of the starting line-up (do not forget Isco who has recently signed and you never know Bale might join) or he will have to be played as a ST. Real already have Benzema and are likely to buy another top ST.
    Chelsea- Same again. He would have to replace either Mata, Hazard or Oscar from the starting eleven to play behind the ST. Mourinho is likely to bring in a ST from abroad rather than buy Rooney and play him as the main ST.
    PSG- Same as Barca. They already have top attackers and are looking to add more.

15. AFC says:

Henry, Rooney would never go to the French League at this stage of his career. It is inferior compared to the EPL.

16. JM says:

Rooney has already won all he could in England with Man. United (EPL, CL, League Cup, FIFA Club World Cup, Footballer of the Year – less the FA Cup). He will not move to another English team just to win another EPL title, much less having his salary reduced.

If he wants a new challenge (and earn more money), he would head off to Real Madrid(Fiorentino Perez’s new marketing prospect, if Real releases Higuain and C.Ronaldo and brings in Rooney, Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale alongside Benzema – that would be a fearsome quartet – and still have the fightpower of Isco, Oezil, di Maria etc in support), Bayern Munich(Lewandolski did not sign, and he will have plenty of world class attacking talent beside him), PSG(strikeforce with Ibrahimovic)/Monaco(link up with Falcao). (Barcelona already signed Neymar)

What is missing for Rooney is the FIFA World Player of the Year(Ballon d’Or) award, the World Cup, and the European Championship title. No disrespect to our club, but having a chance for the (Ballon d’Or) regularly reads along the likes of Barcelona(6 players), Real Madrid(5 players), Bayern Munich(3 players), Man. United(4 players), AC Milan(6 players) and Juventus(6 players). Henry and Bergkamp are the closest for us in winning that prize.

What is £150,000-a-week to Rooney when PSG/Monaco can offer £300,000-a-week ???

17. AFC says:

JM, as I have said to Henry, I cannot imagine Rooney going to any German teams. I cannot see him at any Spanish teams apart from Real which is 50/50. Why would he want to go to Monoco at this point in his career. He could easily join a team for the money in a few years. He just wants another challenge. What kind of a challenge would he get in the French League?

18. Dylan says:

TA, no I think it would be better to bring back Cesc (even if it means waiting another year). Rooney is overrated, has ridiculous wages, and I just couldn’t accept a Man U player at Arsenal. 😉
    AFC, isn’t Di Maria just a really good version of Nani?

19. AFC says:

Dylan, Di Maria is the best traditional winger around. As a lot of bloggers on BK have said, we really need a traditional winger who can add width and cross the ball. If we could get him 25-30 million that would be a very good piece of business.

20. AFC says:

And sell Gervinho for 10 million.

21. AFC says:

Dylan, I have always said Rooney is overrated. But Rooney would still be a good signing. Not an excellant signing but a good signing.

22. Dylan says:

AFC, I haven’t seen much of him. Is he really better than Robben and Ribery?

AFC.. in other word.. you wanna say that We are the only big club that don’t had a great striker.. hehehe..

What rule is Rooney’s best..?? SS or CF or AM.. I think SS.. and you know that Wenger don’t played that formation anymore.. hehe..
    If he did.. then Podolski was already played there..
    And CF also not his best.. if so.. MU will never sign RvP in first place..
    AM..?? Maybe will be great.. but I still think Cazorla and Willshere are our best AM.. and We still have Rosicky.. and Eisfeld.. hehehe..

I don’t think Wenger will change his 4-3-3 formation.. for he though it was the best..
    Our problem two season before was AM.. for Fabregas and Nasri left and Willshere and Rosicky were injured for a long long times.. hehe..
    Than last season We got a briliant AM.. Cazorla but We lost our best CF.. and DM.. and the replacement wasn’t good enough..
    So what We need is to bring in a good CF and DM.. than We will have a great team as We had when Fabs, Nasri, RvP and Song were there.. hahaha..

24. AFC says:

Dylan, not sure. I would say he is in the same league as Robben and Ribery. Di Maria is a player who is good enough to be part of a title winning side.

25. Andy Mack says:

AFC said ‘Rooney is still the best no.10 in England and one of the best in the world’
    Sorry, I’m not even sure he’s the best English No 10 and certainly not the best in England.

He’s very talented but never (rarely) lived up to the initial promise.
    And IMO when he loses a yard of pace, it’ll make life very difficult for him to be better than average. I’d prefer not to have him causing problems in our team when that happens.

26. AFC says:

Henry, all good points. Rooney can play in the hole and Rooney can play as a AM. I would say our current AM role can be changed into a AM/SS fusion role where Rooney would excel.

27. Glic says:

Like you Broke Backers, Arsene, rumour has it, likes a Bender too !. Probably needs to up it a bit more to pull it off !. hahaha

28. JM says:

@ AFC July 1, 2013 13:37

And what kind of real challenge would he get joining us, having won domestically 5 EPL titles, 2 league cups, PFA Footballer of the Year, FWA Footballer of the Year awards with Man. United?

Mind you, Bayern Munich and Pep Guardiola would snatch him when/if they release Gomez, having failed to sign Lewandolski, and Rooney to provide competition for Mandzukic for main CF. No one at Dortmund saw it coming when Goetze left their project to sign for their rivals.

Real Madrid and Fiorentino Perez are desperate for their marquee signing after missing Neymar to Barcelona and just to be in parity with their fierce rivals for bragging rights, they could go on a crazy player exchange deal with C.Ronaldo heading back to Old Trafford and Rooney + cash heading to Santiago Bernabeu. Anything bizarre is possible at that club.

He might still remain with Manchester at the end of the day and in the north west (especially since the recent birth of his 2nd child in May 2013).

PSG/Monaco offers a new challenge for him (other than the cash incentives), presents an opportunity to win another championship in another country. One would expect PSG and their Qatari to open their accounts for at least another marquee signing, since Monaco got into the front pages with their investments.

AFC – Di Maria is a half decent player but an absolute cry-baby. I don’t like him and I guess he’ll struggle in the more physical PL.

30. Glic says:

Fine post Totes !.
    I would love to have the Grannie Shagging Shrek at THOF, but alas I just cant see it happening !. It would be the most shocking ( in a good way ) transfer in our history imo. To me it would offset the Rodgered Pussy in a Van saga by miles !.

Alex 🙂

You are totally entitled to be proud of your boys. Brasil played very well yesterday – a bit like Bayern against Barca, I thought…

Gerry 🙂

It looks like Arsene is keen to add established, quality players to the team, who can hit the ground running. Le Gren surely would be for the future, no?

33. alexgunners says:

It certainly was unexpected for me. Beating Spain is no easy feat. Brasil is back and i hope that next years WC will be a great one.

Henry and JM 🙂

Sorry, but I disagree. Rooney always wants to win. If Arsene would get him, he would come with the right motivation. I don’t think Real, Barca or Bayern would go for him anymore. We can compete with all the others except the Southern and Northern Oilers: if they really want him, we can forget it.

35. alexgunners says:

Glic,
    Agreed, it wouldnt be a typical AW signing but i think that we could certainly benefit from Shrek coming to London

Alex the crowd was great. I have seen weaknesses in Spain, Brasil and Italy and a well-drilled, machine like team will have a very good chance next year. Germany and Holland should have a good chance, and Brazil of course. 🙂

Dylan, yes Cesc anytime but…. he might not come…

The bigger picture is that Ox and Jack are our biggest super talents and somebody like Rooney would help us the get them where they belong/the best out of them.

If we can learn something from yesterday’s final game as well as the CL final game is that the double-DM pivot is here to stay for a while, and we need to invest in this area first and for all. After Higuain….Fellaini… Now that would be great.

39. alexgunners says:

The game to me was won at the singing of the national anthem. The brazilian anthem is so long and usually gets only half played at FIFA tournaments. Now imagine 80,000 home supporters singing at the top of their voices once the music has finished. Spain were forced to stay there and listen to the vocal crowd. It has to be somewhat intimidating. It certainly got the players pumped and got out of the blocks quickly.

It will be a great tournament and seeing all the major nations in the world competing for the WC is always a pleasure to watch

40. AFC says:

TA, am I right in saying that Rooney will not go to City, Barca, PSG, Monoco and Bayern and that ourselves, Chelsea and possibly Real are his most likely destinations if he leaves United?

All agreed Alex, but it is fair to say that Spain were an utter mess yesterday, and Brazil were rampant. The early goal gave you wings too, and with Neymar you have a very, very fine talent.

42. alexgunners says:

A team like Spain will do some soul searching and bounce back. One loss in 3 years is a testament to their talent

43. AFC says:

Andy Mack, he definitely is the best English no.10 around. Please tell me who these better no.10s are!

It is hard to say, AFC. I cannot see Real jumping up and down for him, and they have already missed the boat witn Neymar going to Barca. So Real must be looking for a bigger calibre player (maybe Lewandowski or Cavani).

If he is motivated by money, I can see him go to France or Chavs. If there is more about him, I can see him coming to us, but to be fair it is quite unlikely.

45. AFC says:

I just do not see Rooney only being motivated by money.

I’m off now.

Catch you later, AFC.

Are you going to put the final touches to the post you promised for today? 😉

47. alexgunners says:

Good night guys and lets hope for some more clarity during this crazy TW.
    Until tomorrow.

Andy Mack,

who do you think is the best no.10 in “England” then ? would be nice to get some names to counter the Rooney not being the best no.10 in England argument.

nice one, TA

a fine post with a good balance paying attention to both pros and cons.

i’m not sure if it will be a good idea to have him as our Captain though, that’s going to be unfair to the current lot – same with Cesc , if he comes back i wouldn’t want him to wear the captains armband ahead of BFG, LK, Arteta, or JW,

Rooney/Cesc are the only missing links to this current team if we manage to Get Cesar and Fellaini… (Cesar is an absolute must and i have been saying that from a very long time- even when your QPR mate wrote him off )…i’m not going to mention Higuain as it’s turning into a bit of soap opera lately.

we have had a bid for one of the benders rejected, i reckon it was made public to put pressure on Everton (or Fellaini – wage demands ) …note how the reports go on to say that “Arsenal will come back with an improved offer or along them lines”.

but i have to be honest, i’m not sure which one of the 2 Bender’s is better or more suited to our style of play…maybe HH can shed some light on this one ?

Hi Jambo 🙂

Tell who should be captain: the one with the best leadership skills or the one who has been longest at the club?

If we want to win something next season, it is about time we take on-field leadership serious, don’t you think?

Agreed that the Bender bid could all be about putting pressure on the Toffees.

course, a strong leader both on and off the field and we seem to have one in Arteta/BFG, not sure why i would want to bring in Rooney and hand him the captaincy straight away.

saying that there is no stopping him contributing to the team on the pitch and being a leader (showing grit, determination and leading by example)…

the reason i feel Barca do what they do so well is because most of them take responsibility and are leaders without wearing the armband as such.

if you want to contribute to the team as a whole, be vocal and tell it how it is then you don’t need to ear the captains armband to make you’re self heard, besides Rooney/Cesc or whoever comes in and you put a case forward for being the clubs captain will command respect automatically due to their stature not sure if being made captain would add any more spine to it.

52. Mike says:

Honestly I think all the talk about Rooney going to Arsenal are feed on the notion of Rooney wanting to stay in England and for a player Already at MU Arsenal seem like the Most likely club. Why? because ManU will never sell him to City (could happen I suppose but not likely) Chelsea would have to make room for him if he is to get a pivotal role and that would mean abandoning their plan and making a new one. I also think the press love this move after the RVP move to ManU. I kind of like it ONLY IF Rooney REALLY wants it. Think of it this war what would Rooney have to prove with a move to Arsenal? Well one thing would be to prove he is a Better player then RVP. RVP left Arsenal because he thought he could not win trophies with Arsenal. If Rooney Comes to Arsenal he is saying to RVP hay Im good enough to TURN Arsenal INTO a Title winning side something RVP could not do while there.

I also think the press likes the thought for the England National team. Could Arsenal be for England what Barca is for Spain with the core of the National team all at one club? This could be good for any national team. (not always the best for that club IF your nation does not have the best of players though) I do not know if this would be the BEST option for Arsenal but it would be great for England IF Ox and Jack and Theo are going to feature in the first 11 in 2014 WC playing together with Rooney next season could be great for England.

So that is my theories on the Rooney move. But what do I think? Never really felt Rooney was worth as much as ManU were paying him. BUT he did make Arsenal pay more then once and there is NO better way to silence a critic but to score against the team that critic supports. So Shrek has made me eat my words before.

53. Glic says:

First Bender to say ….” Up the Arsenal “…is best !. My moneys on HH !. hahaha

nice one , Mike

also to add to it, i hear Rooney is good friends with JW, OX and Theo…OX often ends up beating everyone on the ps3 , point being , he would be in a happy place and amongst friends if he decided to take the wage cuts and sign for us.

also, man utd want him to take a pay cut as well…so that’s another interesting one.

by the way, it’s odd for any player to talk about “transfer targets” as openly and comfortably as JW has….

which makes me think ” could we possibly getting both higuain and rooney” (note how JW has only talked about these 2 and admired them).

Glic 🙂

56. Glic says:

That’s an interesting observation 007 and seeing as you`ve got my hopes up with such a comment, it better be right as I will have no problem torturing you with the ……….LASER !.

57. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, very fine and analytical report on the reasons Rooney may come to Arsenal!

I think we’d all love to see it happen (if 17ht is coming around on it 😉 ), so it’s a matter of wages and whether or not Manure would actually sell to us. It’s quite clear that if we bought Rooney for £25 million, they simply would not be able to find a better and more acclimated player to fill his shoes. Thus, we would directly be weakening a direct rival in the table and be significantly helping our own cause in the chase for a title.

However, the issue of chemistry will always exist and whether or not Rooney will actually be able to fit into our side. In theory, he is the perfect nr.10 for us, with shades of Bergkamp in his game. But, is he willing to be no.2 behind Higuain in terms of leading the line like he was at Manure behind RVP? How will the players react to having an individual on the team earning so much more than the rest? Will current players try to force AW’s hand in wage raises/adjustments after learning of Rooney’s?

All things to consider, but with Rooney, I believe the positives outweigh the negatives and I’d be thrilled at the signal of intent. Not often does the opportunity come that you can take a player in their prime from a direct rival to boot.

Glic,

don’t punish the messenger 😀 (put that Laser away ahahahah)

but hey , if we’re bidding nearly 20 mills big ones for a player then that surely means, WE MEAN business this time round

and no longer are after cheaper “bargains” or 2nd best.

in Arsene we continue to trust 🙂

60. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, just saw the end of your comment at 15:10.

It depends is the best answer I can possibly give. Both are very skilled on the ball and have good range on their passes and have good motors/presence on the field. Lars has the better engine and is an incredible B2B midfielder, capable of dictating the game at both ends of the pitch. Imagine a less physical, more skilled Fellaini or a player closer to Song with more ball carrying ability.

Sven Bender is more of a dedicated DM player, capable of joining the attack, but is more comfortable staying back. Good range of passing, assertive in the tackle and reads the play very well. He’s basically a faster, more skilled and younger Arteta.

So, it all depends on what style of play Arsene chooses to go with. In L.Bender, you have the B2B player that can operate in a dual DM pivot where the player interchange between attack and defense, while in Sven you have a more dedicated DM that you could pair with Jack, who’s naturally more attack minded.

Thanks, HH

so going by how you’ve described them both, i reckon we should be more than happy with either one of them (both fit the bill perfectly), perhaps we should make a similar offer for the other bender now , haha

Lars has been capped more by germany and he is technically very good, i think he’s more Wenger type from what i’ve seen worth every penny.

Bender’s, Fellaini – those are the quality of players we should be looking at and making bids for #aboutbloodytime

TA @ 14.21 – Yes, Le Gren would be one for the (near) future. The point I was making was that he is more likely to reach that potential and end up a Cesc-like figure in the team, than Rooney is likely to recapture his best?

Vialli made an interesting point on the Brazil match. He said that it was possible to beat the possession football that Spain play by continually shutting down spaces so they have no where to go. Italy will learn from this and the type of player he will take to the World Cup next year will be super fit athletes ….

If we want to play flowing football in the EPL, let alone the CL, then that is the type of player AW should be looking for? I don’t have that mental image of Rooney and ‘super fit athlete’ in the same compartment? Oh, and where he will go will be down to Colleen… Monaco or Paris? Mmmn …

Yes, AW is checking out established player for the short term in order to make an impact next season – his last perhaps? – but he has been linked with a whole host of younger players like Le Gren, indeed what should be our first ‘official’ signing, Sanogo falls very much into that category?

Whilst mentioning Sanogo, he could be a surprise packet if he remains fit. I can see him being a very suitable side-kick for Giroud, and or Podolski. However, Le Gren would also be a major part of the future side, along with OX all emerging at their peak together?

With Maher slipping through the net, the alternative are getting narrowed down.?

Illarramendi is the future alternative to Bender, who is not much cheaper alternative to Fellaini? Capoue will be the next in line if he hasn’t already shipped out to Monaco?

Hey ho, it will all be over in two months time?

HH,

which one of the Benders would you like AW sign ?

64. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, much like yourself, I’d be happy with either one. My preference of the two is for Lars, as he would immediately replace Diaby and is capable of driving our offense and playing strong, high pressure defense. He just seems to be the more skilled of the two, but I’m sure others here will disagree with me and would prefer the more dedicated defender to unleash the creativity further up field.

65. Glic says:

I see that ordinary MP`s wages are likely to rise from £66k to £70k per annum ( not inc` expenses ) !. Not bad pay for being a Broke Backbencher !.

there was strong indications from the jan tw that we’re going to be getting someone from Germany, we now know that our interest was in Lars and possibly will remain until we manage to get everton and fellaini to play ball.

in a way we should be happy to have back up options if any of our deals go south for whatever reason.

Glic,

compared to footballers wages, that’s peanuts ahahahahah

*were

68. Glic says:

And they`re going to spend £100K on the House of Lords toilets !……that’s taking the piss !….no, literally it`s taking the piss….some bastard comes in and empty`s their colostomy bags every day !. The House of Lords has to be the most exclusive Dementia Clinic in the world !. Mind you, the senile old gits only difference to the MP`s in the House of Commons, in that they actually do not remember all the lies they have told us !.

69. Glic says:

True 007, but that’s what you pay bumbling buffoon baboons ! hahaha

Jambo, all valid poiints on leadership. Would I hand Rooney the armband if he were to join us, definitely. Although, BFG is a good alternative, agreed.

Mike – fine comment and all agreed. Good to see you back on BK! 🙂

Glic, ahahahahahahahahahahahha

if BFG can be trusted for collecting petty cash for AW then he should also be trusted with the armsband, haha

let’s just say, one step at a time, for now let’s get Rooney down south to the Emirates – but i can see why you would want to make him the captain though, it may even make him more motivated and make him want to do more for the club.

first official signing announced (surprise surprise)

74. Glic says:

We need to be smart to get Rooney on board !. I suggest a…..Greggs the Bakers installed at London Colney and a …..Grab-a-Grannie night every Friday at Arsenes place with TERRY MANCINI HAIR TRANSPLANT as his chaperon………WAYNE ROONEY HAIR TRANSPLANT…meet….TERRY MANCINI HAIR TRANSPLANT….I`m sure you`ll get together like Michael Jacksons hair on fire !.

HH 🙂

All good points and agreed. If you play in the hole at Arsenal you are the bees knees, no? It might be different at MU, but if Rooney would become our nr.10 he would be our most important player (in a Wengerball system).

Good point about fitting in/ team chemistry. You never know for sure how it is going to work out, but I reckon he would fit into the team well (he is a hard worker in the end).

Agreed Jambo, one step at a time 😛

Glic 🙂

Gerry – yes that was an interesting comment by Viali.

However, I reckon Rooney has great stamina and physical strength and Wenger would help to stay fit.

78. Glic says:

Totes. I noticed that our lost Aussie boy who makes Doves Cry, was on another site today !. Couldn`t be bothered to say hello to his BK mates and there was I feeling sorry for him, thinking he was stuck on that massive big red tourist attraction in the middle of Australia !. If riding on Dame Edna Everage`s cock is your sort of thing, then fair enough, but say hello if your in Town blogging !. hahaha

Rooney’s fitness issues are blown ou of proportion,it’s all to do with his smoking …. (Well , i got news for all the mancs out there, you’re new striker RVP smokes more than rooney).

besides, all the players that go out of favour at mancs, they tend to be either lazy, not working for the team e.t.c…remember what they said about Tevez, yeah right.

come to Emirates Rooney, Piers Morgan will love you the most ! haha

80. Highbury Harmony says:

TA :),

Without a doubt Rooney would become the most important player in our set-up, but the recognition among the masses would still go to the goal scorer ;). I think with Rooney, the recognition and spotlight are desirable, which are some aspects that make him a somewhat undesirable team player and maybe not the best fit if he’s not leading the line (only speculation on my part of course).

The positive on team chemistry in our favour is how much he would undoubtedly enjoy playing and growing with his compatriots in Jack, Ox, Theo and Gibbs. Of course, it’s always an added bonus if you get to play alongside additional top quality talents like Santi and hopefully Higuain too.

Can’t wait to see what happens, glad we finally officially announced Sanogo too!

81. jnyc says:

Great post TA, im still torn in my opinion, but alot of good comments swaying me both ways.
    AFC, i love di maria. And i instantly thought i would sell gervihno to help fund it, like you 🙂 but i do also worry that he seems a bit fragile for England. Still a great talent.
    i know we are all tired of me saying it, but, we need to do what is neccessary to close deal for Higuain. UP THE BID!

hahaha Glic, he will come and visit soon enough. I guess he feels a bit embarrassed re not completing the UMF predictions… But he shouldn’t be. 🙂

HH, good points.

Your comparison with DB10 earlier (as a type of player) was interesting. DB was not a big goalscorer throughout most of his Arsenal career for an attacker, but he became a legend nevertheless. I can really see Rooney taking on a similar role, and as long as he gets the recognition he would be fine it.

You might be right, though…

Hi jnyc

Yes, lets close the Higuain deal or walk away. It is getting tiring now…

suppose the higuain deal doesn’t happen or go ahead,

who would be the likely alternative ? (a post might be very timely on this one i reckon 😉

my take ? no need to buy a no.9….

get rooney, Fellaini, Cesar …rotate Rooney up front primarily.

sorted ?

Jambo, Jambo, Jambo, it is about time you write a maiden post! And that is a very good idea for one… 😉 😉

😀

are you talking to me ? (rolls his eyes smiley)

😉

Yes you 0-0 7

HH,Glic,TMHT,AFC,17HT anyone

save me 😀

Jambo it is all right! I am only teasing you. 🙄

Your contributions come in fine comments and I particularly like that you often respond to new bloggers on BK. You are basically our hostess of the mostess hahaha 😀

gracias 🙂

did you watch Cesar’s master class last night ? 😉

Yes, he made some fine saves – very Szczesnyesque in fact hahahaha 😛

93. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, what TA is too kind, what he is trying to say is you are basically our welcoming mat and you spread your legs open to everyone in order to recruit new BK bloggers! Hahahaha such a valuable piece to the puzzle 😉

i see , someone no longer feels loved, alright HH, you can have your old job back

; )

95. Highbury Harmony says:

I already write articles mate ;). Unless of course, you would like to switch roles with me??

Night all 🙂

Tomorrow is the second of July: 2-7 a good day to sign up our new nr 27 Hig Higu Higua Higuai Higuain!!!!!!!!!!!! 😉

97. Carol Stole My Greek says:

Morning night shift trogs — the day shift are here now! 😀

Well we have now passed the official transfer window starting date of 1st July and Arsenal have announced their first signing, Yaya Sanago, although we have known about it for weeks.

Now where is that HH? 🙂

98. Red Arse says:

Get up, TA, you lazy so and so!! 🙂

I am not a ‘Rooney to Arsenal’ man. He has too much baggage and although I admit he is a very good player, he seems to always have an aura of ‘unpleasantness’ attached to him.

Morning RA 🙂

How are you doing?

Yes, I can see where you are coming from re his aura…. Only if he would come to Arsenal with a genuine desire to play a positive, yet winning, role at our club, would I welcome him.

It might just all be gossip, or a tactic by the club to get somebody else and keep their price down, but it is quite strange that we are being linked with Rooney.

100. Red Arse says:

I am, as I mentioned not particularly swayed by transfer gossip, tho’ I do find it interesting.

It appears to me that much of what we read is generated by players’ agents for their own ends. It makes me wonder if Rooney’s advisors are using Arsenal’s stated interest in buying better players just to improve Rooney’s negotiations with Utd.

Alegedly, RvP is on a ‘better’ salary and Rooney wants parity. Who knows?

101. Admir says:

Great article, TA, and four out five points are totally correct and, if Rooney read them and had a brain transplant recently as well, he would come to London by foot to sign a contract with us. 🙂

The fifth one, however… While I would be thrilled to see Rooney-in-top-form in an Arsenal shirt, I can’t see Rooney with an Arsenal armband. Arteta is the one for today and he can keep it until Jack becomes ready to take over.

Despite our bid for L.Bender got rejected, it seems that Wenger sent a message yesterday: “Let’s make a team of Benders, not Bendtners.” 😀

BTW, Yaya Sanogo has an interesting name. His first name “Yaya” is pronounced “Jaja” which on South-Slavic languages can mean both “eggs” and “balls” (as testicles). 😀 So, we finally added some balls to our team. Now, we could go for Brad Guzan to add a goalkeeper since “guza” means “ass” (as part of the body).

102. jgc says:

Hi TA

Fine post as always. A few thoughts:

A. If bender bid is a stick to Everton might this not be one to Real who don’t really need Higuain?

B. Rooney vs Cesc. IMO, Cesc for me, BUT, without emotion and personal preferences for style, Arsenal are sometimes too “nice” and Rooney has more outward Mongrel and toughness, to me.

Overall, I suspect we don’t get. Rooney (and thus goes my fate to the football gods to make me look like an ass in a few days 🙂 )

Just a few pence from far far away, where Shrek is from I’m told! 🙂

Cheers — jgc

Agreed RA 🙂

Admir, you are in fine form. Imagine them signing a contract together with mr Dick…. don’t cock it up boys! 😛

I expect Arteta to play significantly less next season, Admir, and a captain needs to play regularly.

Hi jgc – good to hear from you again. 🙂

Outward mongrel with experience is exactly what we need to get the team going and the best out of our youngsters as well.

105. Admir says:

Hm, I still have a feeling we need Arteta on the pitch even if we sign Fellaini. In last two seasons Arteta missed our 13 games in Premiership (three for being in Everton) and we won just two.

And, even if Arteta gets dropped, I’d pass armband to Mertesacker. 😉

the new post, which will come out shortly, partly cover this, Admir. 😉

107. manfred jakob says:

bei einem Flügelstürmer wie Lukas Podolski würde Roony der beste finisher 2013/14