Monreal or Gibbs, or both? And what to do with Santos?

Nacho: 'you talking to me'.

Nacho: ‘you talking to me’.

Please note: this is a discussion post, containing a short intro in which I aim to give a bit of background info on the topic, in order to stimulate a wide-ranging debate.

The left back/ wing back situation has not been a settled one ever since the departure of Gael Clichy. Some might argue that the Frenchman was actually never at the required level for Arsenal, but I reckon this would be a bit harsh. He was never anywhere near as good as Cashley Cole, but he did more than ok in most of the seasons for Arsenal.

Not many of us were really sad to see him go, though, and if Gibbs had stayed fit for a (number of) sustained period(s), we would probably have been fine in the LB area since Clichy left. But he didn’t, and Arsene opted for additional cover with the last minute buy of Andre Santos from Fenerbahce.

Santos was full of confidence when going forward, and my favourite Santos moment was his cool  and professional away-goal against the Chavs the season before last. However, defensively he showed some weaknesses in terms of positioning, fitness levels/speed, one-on-one defending and disciplined, defensive team play. He had a number of dodgy performances this season and it became clear the Brazilian had lost a lot of his confidence. Arsene acted decisively by buying Nacho Monreal last January, and sending Santos out on loan simultaneously.

If Kieran Gibbs could stay fit for most of the coming season, Arsene will be faced with a very-nice-to-have-dilemma: who should he play at LB: Nacho or Kieran.

For me, this is a hard decision to make. The Spaniard is more level headed and appears to be built stronger, but he struggled at times with getting used to the tempo and ferocity of the PL. It is fair to say that Nacho will have to improve further to make a real claim for the LB position.

Once Kieran gets into the groove, he can be fantastic, both defensively and going forward. He quickly developed a good understanding and cooperation with Podolski, and for a while we were most dangerous on the left wing of the team. However, as he gets injured regularly, he often struggles to play at the required level straightaway, and his positioning and concentration levels are often under par during these periods.

If both players are fully fit, it seems to be a shame to place one on the bench, and this raises the question whether we could play them both on the left of the team, say in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 formation. Nacho could be our LB and Gibbs or LW. This could only work though in a four-in-midfield formation, and our still young Englishman would have to improve his crossing in the box significantly. Or perhaps, it should be Gibbs at LB and Nacho as our LW…. Let us know your views on his.

And finally, what to do with Santos: is there still a space in the squad for him, or should he be loaned out for the season again?

Written by: TotalArsenal.

66 Responses to Monreal or Gibbs, or both? And what to do with Santos?

great post, TA (thanks)

i was thinking this the other night, poor Nacho, he faces the exact same situation perhaps when playing for spain, he has to play 2nd fiddle to a more attack /forward minded LB in jordi alba, our own Gibbs is no different…

but as it stands, i think both monreal and gibbs would form a great partnership and would actually excel together when rotated, gives Arsene wenger some rest bite as well considering gibbs’s injury record.

re- Santos, well stick him on LW and he will put Gareth Bale to shame in no time ; )

selling should be the way to go with Santos i reckon …anything over 2 million should be seen as good business for Santos.

2. bc says:

Santos should be sold. However seeing there is no third choice left back as meade turned down his contract offer and as u mention gibbs has injury fears so often. May be just may be we should hold onto santos at least until a new young left back is brought in. With coquelin going and also angha and bhimoutine we are only left with one young left back ormonde-ottewill.

3. SammyNelsonsPants says:

TV can play left back in a pinch. Sell Santos, rotate Nacho and Gibbs.

4. ejiro ifie says:

we all are accusing santos. I agree his defending has been poor. But wenger has some prefential treatment with some players in arsenal which i think all coaches do as well. You’ve all seen how gervinho most times disappears in some matches and we complain why not put santos on the left wing and you would see how good he is even if he is not good in defending.

5. james says:

santos is not entirely a bad player just that he can’t defend. but one quality he has is that he is a threat going forward, so why not push him upfront and let’s see what happens since he loves bombing forward

6. Dylan says:

Santos should be sold. Enough said. 😉 Good post TA! 🙂 But I don’t think Gibbs at LM is a good idea. Nacho at LW would be a better option purely because he’s a Spanish international (meaning he’s not only quality, but can also pass the ball well, maintain possession, is a good attacker, and is positionally aware). He also has decent service into the box, both on the ground and in the air. However, I’d prefer to just let them both stay at LB and battle it out for that spot. 🙂

7. Weedz says:

I would imagine Santos will be wanting playing time, with the 2014 WC approaching, to make the Brazil squad. I`ll want a move.

Neither Santos or Nacho have enough pace to play as a winger, in our setup.

Thanks for the responses until now, fellow Gooners. Will get back to you in the morning.

Night all. 🙂

9. ProudGooner says:

Good post TA,
    This is something i have thought a lot about as well. It is clearly between Gibbs and Monreal, but i think Santos may well still have a role at the club, he has something and his states tell us that he is not as bad at defending as many think he is.
    Gibbs – Monreal is a tough 1 , did you know Gibbs always played as a winger though his youth stage? He did and Wenger trained his to be a LB which he has done fantastic at as Wenger said he is the 3rd best LB in the country only Baines and Cole stand in his way and given there ages he will be England’s 1st choice in 4 years roughly. So the point is he can play futher forward (or wing) and i think Wenger may play with that a bit.
    Monreal is also real class we have not seen to much of him just yet, all done to Gibbs fine form. I think all the comments above are right rotation is the way, this should prevent Gibbs getting burnt out and injured so hopefully win win. when playing tougher teams think about playing both 🙂 why not.??
    Santos – if and its a big IF Santos could home in his defending skills futher and stop making silly little mistakes that seem to cloud out his good performes could he become a good DMB Gilberto style this would free him up so he can use his eye for goal. But this would take a good bit of work from Bould to just guild him and teach him what he knows , it could work.

10. I would play santo as LW or DMB and I believe he has had time to home his new found skills in Brazil and yes even at LB. He acknowledged that he learnt alot about defending at Arsenal

11. Milo says:

Gibbs should be the starting left-back, in my opinion. He is very very talented, and I think his passing has actually been under-rated throughout his career, and is a strong point of his. I’m talking about his passing, NOT his crossing, although he is a better crosser than Sagna is. He just seems a natural attacking full-back. His combination play with Podolski was a thing to behold at times, last season. I even saw some one-touch passing ’round the corner from him, which is a rare commodity to behold in a full-back from England.

12. jnyc says:

First let me say that i dont think Santos is as horrible as people make it seem. Just a disappointment for a Brazil international and 8 million. Now i think the best we can do is loan him to save salary, or take a big loss in selling him.
    — on the other side, id like to see more games for jenkinson, maybe sagna could serve as 4th cb.
    —- i still dont see vermaelen staying as third choice, so if he goes, then definitely needs to be replaced. If he stays, i hope Arsene rotates enough to keep everyone fresh and somewhat rested.

13. Mc@li says:

play Santos at the middle of the park. he is a good technical player and could chip in afew assists and goals too

14. marcus says:

Even if Santos was the only LB we had, my stance would still be to sell him and play Ramsey there if we had to. He is that useless.

Regarding Nacho vs Gibbs, like you said this is going to be a very close battle. That said, for me it all boils down to one thing; who is the better defender? Now Gibbs on his day is a devastating player to play against on that left flank. When he goes forward, the way he beats defenders and sets up team mates makes you forget that he is actually a defender. This is not to take anything away from him as a defender. He is a pro active defender. By this I mean he would rather close down an opponent and intercept the ball, stopping an attack before it starts. I love this about him.

However, Nacho to me is just a better defender all round. Aerially, physically, reading of the game and even his tackles are more composed and effective. When he plays, Poldi does very little defensive work and is more effective going forward. Even when he has to go forward, Nacho knows how to pick his moments. Last season, mainly due to our double pivot DM system, Gibbs’ exploits going forward went unpunished. He tends to go forward too easily leaving us exposed at the back. Nacho however knows how to track back when we lose the ball (I chalk it down to experience).

Based on all this, Nacho would be my first choice. Alternatively, Wenger could rotate them giving them equal opportunity.

15. Maiko jm says:

Santos should go with all other deadwood let him surrender T-shirt no.11 and be given Giroud

TA – Another fine discussion post. There is a case for both Gibbs and Monreal at LB.

Whereas there isn’t much of one for Santos, for all the reasons stated. His ‘tackling’ relies heavily in a quick foot jab to rob the opponent and leave him a clear run to go forwards. When it is successful, great. More often though, the ball is prodded past him and he is left looking like a super tanker trying to turn in mid-channel. I do not see the benefit of pushing him forwards to LW either. His lack of pace means he is more likely to dribble inside and crowd the middle, rather than give width? In other sides he will find his place, but in our more athletically demanding squad, I’m afraid not.. Personally I would sell him for a nominal fee, but get an IG sell-on clause written into the deal?

Monreal should do better this season without doubt, but he too looked a tad slow when not the quickest opponents got past him? If he can improve on those duels he will see plenty of games, and his calmness on the ball will be seen to best effect.

I only have to remind myself of the times that Gibbs has appeared from nowhere to put in a perfectly executed last ditch tackle to know he would be my preferred choice in most games. However, as was said in an article in Untold yesterday, if England come calling, and they surely will in WC14 year, Gibbs fitness will be fully tested, so rotation is the key.

I think during the last 10 matches the defensive support from others will aid Gibbs from the criticism of being out of position when going forwards, and if he can improve on his crosses where the more likely targets will be Higuain and Podolski in the box, his assists should increase, as they will if Giro gets support from Sanogo or whoever is the AM?

Milo – I do think you’re suffering from a touch of short term-ism regards Sagna and his crossing ability? Last season he was not that good, partly down to extra time needed for bodies to get into the box? But before the leg-breaking season he would rival any.

Mind, I do think Jenks will also need game time if he is to get noticed for the WC14 squad, as well as for his own development. Especially as we now have the flying Bellerin for some the foreseeable future?

Perhaps it is just me, but I am looking beyond next season to when I think we will have a gifted squad of athletes that will challenge for everything. Spine tingling!

17. babakrdaemi says:

I would use Nacho away and in difficult games. Gibbs will help open teams up that just defend. He will also make a good sub in games we are behind. But when playing Chavs, Man City, UTD etc I would prefer Nacho to start. Maybe one more year and Gibbs will be ready for those bigger games. However, until then play safe in the big games and let Gibbs lose on teams looking for a point from The Arsenal.

18. merlinspanini says:

@James Bond. It’s respite, no such thing as rest bite.

I think it would be a dangerousmove to play Gibbs and Monreal together all the time. It could be good occasionally but not as a permanent fixture.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Santos on the wing. He does know what he’s doing offensively and could be an option if Podolski isn’t fit and Gervinho is doing his usual headless chicken impression.

19. oz gunner says:

It’s a tough one TA. I have no clue though. Gibbs for me because of his blistering pack. Knowing his injury record though it’ll be Nacho for the most part. Our full back possies are in good stead.

@ Alex

congrats on the Baby gunner. Loved Terry’s advice, i’m still laughing!!!

20. Red Arse says:

Morning, TA. 🙂

Gibbs, for me, is the go-to guy, but as he is so injury prone, it makes sense to have them both as ‘No.1’, and Santos, if he stays, as a left winger, because he certainly has never been a left back!

21. Red Arse says:

Ji Oz,

Long time no sea, as the angler said to the cod! 😀

22. Red Arse says:

Mind you, Oz, I cannot understand you giving Terrible Terry praise when he is so awful to PeePee his imaginary friend! 🙂

23. oz gunner says:

haha morning RA, it has been a while. Hope things are well.

I could never be harsh on anyone with an imaginary friend…let alone one who parades around in a gimp outfit and lives in a loft.

If he released a book on advice i’d read it haha

24. Abdulai N Jalloh says:

Santos sould be sold or loan

25. oz gunner says:

26. Highbury Harmony says:

Hi TA :),

Another excellent post and a conundrum that Arsenal will be faced with for a very long time. How can we distribute playing time between two very good LB’s to keep both happy and on form? Is a certain LB better in certain situations?

For me, there is no clear cut first choice LB and that is a very nice dilemma to have. Before signing Nacho, it was either Gibbs or bust since nobody wanted Santos on the field because he didn’t have a clue as to what defense was. Gibbs really excelled on the left when Poldi also played wide left, so I would start him there when Poldi starts there.

When Santi starts out wide he plays in a free role and drifts all over the field, so it’s more important to have a more defensive presence on the left because the defender is often left on his own. Thus, when Santi starts at LW, I would start Nacho.

Against more physical, with less pace in teams like Stoke, Hull, WBA and Sunderland, I would start Nacho as well. He’s better in the air, more willing to get into the thick of things in battles and more solid defensively. Against more skilled teams or ones with pace like Liverpool, Swansea, Spuds and Chel$ea, I would start Gibbs. Then, whoever is performing best in general will get the starts vs. the top sides in Manure and $hitty.

That would be an ideal blueprint for starts from my perspective, but we all know AW does not operate in such a strategical fashion and often starts the hot hand until they get injured.

In other news, Coquelin goes out on a season-long loan deal to Freiberg. Great news as I would have been disappointed had we sold him this year. This should definitely mean that AW is planning on bringing in a new DM.

Afternoon guys 🙂

Apologies for late arrival.

the comments reflect my own views on the the three LBs we have currently. Most bloggers slightly prefer Gibbs as first choice LB, mainly due to his burst of speed going forward (and backwards). Nacho is possibly the best defender of the three, and let’s hope he’ll settle in properly next season. Rotation between the two seems the best way forward.

Re Santos. Quite a few want him sold but then a slight majority still see a role for him on the wing, or even in the middle.

A confident and fit Santos can definitely offer something to the team, especially from the bench, but if he was sold I would not be sad about it. It would be interesting to see how hie would function in the double DM-pivot in the box to box role…

Catch you later. 🙂

Hi HH, got to go now, but I’ll respond later. 🙂

ah, so apparently Everton Want Ramsey in Exchange for Fellaini…

i would want Ramsey to be loaned out for an year and play under Martinez, sure

but selling Ramsey shouldn’t be considered i reckon.

it seems we’re offering 17 million plus Ramsey for Fellaini.

ah bugger 😉

can’t say that i would be gutted to see Ramsey leave if i am being honest

Nice one TA…It looks like we’ll get nothing concrete today on the Gun-zalo signing, so discussing our riches at LB seems a nice digression…

Reading the comments, so many people see so many different things and some of my opinions are at odds with them. Gibbs, for me, seems a nice character—quiet and sensitive and not all bravado as so many youngsters nowadays seem. While still lacking the awesome one on one precision defending of Sagna I think he’s learned from the great one on the opposite flank and generally he’s in the right place at the right time with the right touch. Compared to Clichy the slip-ups are fewer and he’s recovered well from the big one (several years ago) when he gave away the first goal in our return match in the CL semis vs United and was so disturbed he had to be subbed at the half. Offensively, he is very pacy and has a great left foot. Against teams that are trying to score on us, these attributes make him first choice…

Nacho, on the other hand, seems more versatile if less spectacular. I love his professional fouls. When he knows he’s beaten (and it happened more than once) he’ll take a foul (and a card) for the team to prevent a goal scoring chance. Going forward he’s better at using both feet and the body contortions and eyes-in -the-back -of-his-head on pull backs (to find teammates in shooting positions) is something we can use. Against teams that are parking the bus he should be our starter as these sorts of 1-2s (with our forwards) are the way to break those teams down. If he’s doing it on our left and Theo is doing the same on the right, we should (italics) have less trouble with the teams going for “defense-first.”

Finally, Santos. Thinking about him (and that crazy match at Stamford Bridge) I feel as if acquiring Santi Cazorla spelled doom for our fish and chip gay, er, guy. He was useful breaking down the stubborn teams and was all offense, with a tendency to drift central. If Santi is doing likewise (from a LW starting spot) it becomes like…Dos Santi-o-s… (Ugh, that’s a poor one but I mean that the two of them are trying to do the exact same thing.) Unfortunately, I don’t see a future for him at Arsenal and another loan and eventual sale back to Brazil seems most likely. The Istanbul teams are mired in match fixing issues (at the moment) so I doubt selling him back there is an option…

Anyhow, that’s my (overly long) take on the issue, time to check the wire for transfer news 😳 …

Missed those last few comments as I was writing….

HH, are we saying the same thing? I think we are but I trust (if you have the time–you must have today off…) that you will tell me if we aren’t 😉 …

JB, if that deal is on I think it’s a good one for both us and Everton… Sorry to all the Ramsey fans out there, but if Martinez takes him off our hands I think it would put him in pole position to replace Wenger when the time comes…. Frankly I don’t see this one happening any longer (even if you told me that Fellaini was gonna be announced today 😆 )… Ramsey, I fear, showed enough heart and team spirit to convince Wenger that he is needed to “bridge” last seasons’ results with whatever our new look will be heading into the key early season matches…

33. Highbury Harmony says:

17ht :), we are more or less saying the same thing mate!

Oh thank god, HH… Now if I could only read your mind about who to put on my fantasy team… Painful as these transfer proceedings are, the English league will be turned on it’s head come opening weekend… (It almost makes me wish I had a new–and demanding–job in a new city–to take my mind off it all. Or a week on an island w/no ‘puter….)

well you never known until and unless the dotted line has been signed and least it being on BBC if not Arsenal’s official website.

so the Higuain saga continues, kill me already

36. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, I think Ramsey could thrive at a mid-table club like Everton. It’d be incredibly strange to see AW sell/give up on him though as he’s lauded him with praise throughout his entire Arsenal career and he just penned a new contract.

I really doubt that would happen, AW only sells young players if they haven’t made an impact, ask to be sold or have behavioural issues – none of which Rambo has.

re- Ramsey

then i’m not so sure what’s the point of buying Grenier and selling Ramsey in part exchange with Fellaini,

may as well keep Ramsey , he’s not bad as a squad player although he may benefit with a loan deal like Coquelin…

and if i were to loan him out somewhere, i would deffo would want him to work with Martinez

i see Ramsey as a long term replacement to Arteta in a couple of years time.

agreed, HH

but at the same time if Fellaini, lar’s e.t.c were to join us, i would want Ramsey going out on loan for an year to a mid table club where he gets playing time, week in week out

i just feel that it will benefit him that much more instead of being a squad player next season at arsenal.

Fine comment HH and all agreed. I guess Wenger likes to have a steady line-up more than changing it all the time, but with Nacho and Kieran he might have to rotate regulary. The combos of Nacho-Santi and Gibbs-Pod make sense, although Arsene often opted to mix them up.

HH, has it spot on with his combinations (Nacho/Santi)- (Gibbs-Poldi)

the same can be applied on the right to an extent i feel, (Jenko-Theo) – (Sagna-Ox)

41. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, I would love to see Ramsey go out on loan if AW feels that playing time will be limited for him. I highly doubt he would sell him since he made good progress last season and has been touted to be the next “Mikelele”.

yep, that would be logical.

David Moyes is done with his first press conference and says “Rooney” not for sale (i can imagine 17HT having a big smirk on his face as he reads this).

right then, let’s get Cesc or Jovetic, hahaha

17 🙂

Excellent observations on Nacho and Kieran, and your comment is a great addition to my quickly put together post.

Re Ramsey. Now that Coquelin has been loaned out, I am convinced he is going to stay. If we get Fella ini, we would have four ‘DMs’ (plus Frimpong and Diaby(?)) and the beauty of Ramsey is that he brings energy and engine, and every team needs such a player, at least on the bench.

However, for Ramsey going to the Toffees could well be a very good choice. He could become their new Phil Neville and regular football would improve his form and capabilities. After two good seasons he could be ready for the top-four teams, and with a buy-back arrangement in his contract it could be the best for both Aaron and Arsenal.

007, you are a funny fellow…

I know you guys think young Jack is better as a B-2-B guy but there’s a reason he was given the #10 jersey…We will not be buying in this area, even if Jack wouldn’t mind us doing so….Maybe he made those “pro-Rooney” comments because he’s getting bored with being a family man at such a young age and needs some “tips” from Wayne… 😆

In truth, I think the smirk was from Gazidis (and Wenger) with the whole, “We could (italics) buy Rooney.” They were taking the piss (as they say)… That so many “supporters” thought that he was the guy we should reverse our financial policies for suggests a divide between the fans who support the long-term vision of current management and those who want to live in the realm of fantasy… But, maybe you guys were taking the piss with ME, pushing the Shrek-ster as you were… If so, well done, you had me fooled 😀 … At least, you, 007, balked at making him Captain… That idea (plus my morning espresso) made me look like this in the mirror: 👿

Listen (and I’d like to put this chapter behind us…), I can “see” the value in all players even the ones I loathe. I can also see why I find them distasteful and why it’s best to make them into so-called pantomime villains: they’re evil and it’s fun. For me, with United, Shrek and (now) RvJ have crossed the line too many times. At Chelsea, John Terry and Ashley Cole play similar roles. With City it’s all about (fat) Sam(ir) Na$ri…Spurs, well, who cares, it’s just Spurs…(hahaha…)

Total, thanks…and I hope we can get past the Rooney thing…. 😉

I enjoy writing about what I see players doing (or trying to do) on the pitch. Sometimes I think people only watch (or remember) the highlights, whereas I try to see every minute of every match. (I missed some while I was in Spain, I have to admit…)

Re: Ramsey. I think we’re in agreement (and, as I said, I doubt AW will sell him just yet)… He HAS gotten better at avoiding the bad giveaways in dangerous parts of the pitch but the combination of his (poor) running (in-quicksand style–overstriding) and his iffy technique (passing, shooting, not-very-good left foot, though he will try it) is not improving fast enough to suggest that he will ever rise to the required level.

I feel bad saying that. His commitment (the sort that get your leg smashed in two…) is unparalleled and it was a key element in last season’s run-in. Still, we need that element PLUS better quality. Martinez is sly in “demanding” the swap, but I cannot see it happening, we’re too short in depth and Ramsey’s willingness to play any position is a boon. If we buy at DM, however, I think his playing time will shrink and, sooner or later, a move to a mid-table team will be in everyone’s best interest…

😀 Gracias , 17HT

couldn’t have put it any better than 17HT re- Ramsey, you really should consider writing your 2nd post 😉

47. ProudGooner says:

48. ProudGooner says:

I know it is off topic but i came across this Arteta clip and found it well worth a watch, Arteta gives his thought of his role at the club. After watching it i am not as worried if we sign a new DM or not i think he is better then Song and he will take some beating. I deffo want him in he team and he should be captain next season. His statistics are also very very good.

thanks for the video, i enjoyed it – PG

diecisiete – of course we’re good! 🙂

You loathe Rooney and you don’t believe he fits our values. You have a point with that, but my point was that he would only come IF he had the right attitude and Wenger believed him – and who is a better guardian of our values than Le Prof?

As a footballer, other than Cesc or Messi, or maybe Jovetic, I cannot think of a better player to join the team ‘in the hole’ position right now.

Jambon 🙂

‘Rooney not for sale’ is nowhere near as believable as ‘Rooney has decided he will stay at Manchester United’…..

New post at some point tomorrow, I hope. Don’t have much to write about at the moment, but after a bike ride in the morning the brain might have made a few new connections hahaha 🙂

Night all.

“Rooney not for sale” = any offers over 30 million more than welcome 🙂

and i much rather spend that much money on ensuring we get Fellaini or another top top DM like one of the bender’s.

let’s just say, getting a proper no.10 isn’t high on my wish list as we have Santi and JW to deliver the goods on that one, rosicky as well.

love how you still haven’t given up your hopes on Jovetic though, hahahha 🙂

that’s ok, it’s the weekend anyway, so you deserve a day off , ha

where on earth are the 2 signings promised to us by some sauces :O:

54. Milo says:

Coquelin is as good as gone forever, guys…Sanogo took his squad number, and I would be surprised if he comes back and has a meaningful role to play for us. Stranger things have happened though!

like i have been saying all along ” Sangna not willing to put pen to paper” and as it stands, we should sell him to the highest bidder and get ourselves Micah Richards.

Milo,
    it’s only just a shirt number , i wouldn’t look too deep into it, anything is possible in football, for me coquelin is better than frimpong – we should be looking to sell frimpong or loan him.

57. oz gunner says:

Great comments on the LB situation 17 and HH, Bang on about how to use them.

Ramsey sold…never going to happen. I’d be pissed off too after all the time Arsene has put into him. I still think he’ll be an Arsenal great by the end of his career.

What’s the story with Frimpong? I thought his contract expired but i haven’t heard anything more about him leaving or re-signing?

I hope Coquelin tears it up and is ready to grab the DM spot at Arsenal. He was really good on loan last time so i hope he takes his game to the next level this season. With some injury luck he definitely will.

58. oz gunner says:

apparently his contract doesn’t expire until mid next year. Bloody media…do your research first.

Milo, 7amkickoff (my favorite of the US based Arsenal bloggers) has an upbeat note about Le Coq in his post today…

No post tonight Total!?! This is an outrage. Personally, I’d go on strike until we hear something from the dot com (or at least Terry’s pee pee) regarding the Higuain transfer…

But that’s just me….

Back to Rooney as a #10… and all the ifs (If he were motivated, if AW really “liked” him and wasn’t just blowing smoke, etc., if he would take a lower salary, etc., etc…) you’d still want him as captain? Seriously?… I guess we’ll have to do the “agree to disagree” waltz…

If (italics) we’re gonna play that game…I prefer Messi, he’s younger, he seems a better character (tax evasion notwithstanding) AND it’s his own hair he’s got up there(!!) (OK, sure, the human growth hormone he’s been taking his whole life some might call cheating…) We could sell them Ramsey (the Welsh Alex Song?)…in partial payment… Plus he speaks “Argentine” so he and Gonzo can communicate at that higher level…

So that’s my idea for my (2nd) blog post. How many words do you want? 😉 😆 …

60. ProudGooner says:

JB,
    Glad you liked it. There is 2 parts to it. That was the 2nd part, here is the 1st part i think it is better. There is some great goals 6:06 , the free kicks and the city goal 🙂

61. Milo says:

I usually don’t read too much in to squad numbers, but this situation seems to sit in my gut a bit differently. Oxlade-Chamberlain took Denilson’s 15, while the latter was still out on loan, and a new signing will probably take Andre Santo’s number 11 if we purchase someone.

I think a true goal-scorer was/is needed, and if we had to choose between signing Higuain or Rooney, I would have chosen Higuain. He’s clinical, he’s younger, and he also can hold the ball up and play a bit. He isn’t a number 10 like Rooney, but I have a feeling that Jack, Santi, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Podolski, and even Arteta and Ramsey will be able to create enough opportunities for our new signing, if he arrives.

I hope we don’t sell Ramsey to Everton in any transaction, Fellaini, or no Fellaini. I know he has a lot to work on, but if he can build off of the performances of last season, we’ll have a very, very good player on our hands. He’s already more than serviceable, so why get rid??? If, in fact, we do exchange him for Fellaini, I would trust that Wenger knows what he is doing, but until then, if it were up to me, like to see him remain with us. We need depth and at the very least, Ramsey can provide that for us.

Hi all..
    TA.. Wenger will keep Gibbs and Monreal..
    About Santos.. who care..?? hehehehe.. (so sarcastic..)
    I think we better sell him rather to loan him again.. but who want him..?? hahahaha..

For Ramsey.. My agent 007.. Are you sure about that..??
    Ramsey is Wenger’s boy.. He never let him go, unless Ramsey himself want to go..
    COYG.. 17 millions + Ramsey = Fellaini..?? hahahaha..
    Don’t underrate Ramsey.. His rate is at least 12 millions..
    So don’t ever believe in such nonsense rumours.. hehehehe..

It’s only first week of July.. but it seem soooooo looooongggg.. hahahaha..
    This uncertainty of TW make me sick.. for real.. hehehehe..
    I have to get a lot of sleep.. hahahaha..

Morning all – Racing blog finished.

TA – I have a topic for you? Alternatives to Higgy? I f he hasn’t signed by the time you write it?

Exclude Rooney – Staying at Man U

Exclude Jovetic – Going to Juve

Who else, eh?

Gerry, Thierry Henry! 😛

Morning all 😛

New Post! (out for a bike ride now).

66. ArvGoon says:

Play Nacho ahead of Gibbs, he does a solid job defensively and can attack as well. Don’t forget that he was a newbie to the EPL last year and as he adapts, he will only become more dependable. I like Gibbs but he can be a bit accident prone defensively, he gives the team a really good option going forward but even with that, his crossing often lets him down. For the meantime at least Nacho would be my preferred Left Back for next season. Santos should be sold, not loaned, sold. Neither he nor the club would benefit from him staying on.