Who should Arsenal go for if we miss out on Higuain?

pod pic

It takes a very philosophical Gooner to not be frustrated by Arsenal’s lack of progress in the Torture Window, so far. Many fellow Gooners got themselves excited by the calibre of players we are being linked with this summer, and I am one of them.

It looks like Arsene wants to add established quality players, who can hit the ground running. We all welcome this but it seems to be a lot harder than expected. Is the club negotiating too hard, or are other aspect throwing a spanner in the works? I don’t know, and the lack of information by the club is frustrating, although to some extent understandable, as they have to protect our negotiation position as well as our transfer targets.

Of course the TW has only been open officially for a week, but it is clear that the club have been working hard to get their transfer targets during the last six weeks. It looks like Arsenal are unwilling to pay the full clause release sum in Fellaini’s contract, and as it is only effective till mid-August, it’s most likely that a deal, if at all, will happen towards the end of the TW. A risky strategy and I would not be surprised if we are to lose out on the Belgian midfield beast (which for me remains the most important position to recruit for this summer).

The lack of progress regarding Higuain might have less to do with money and more to do with pride. Letting the Argentine forward go without an announcement by Real Madrid of their purchase of a star new player, might be holding things back right now. Buying of the super-rich comes with its own dynamics, it seems.

The brain tells me to remain patient and trust the club is doing everything to make the deals happen. But I cannot deny feeling restless and a tad frustrated right now. Part of me wants us to tell RM where to stick Higuain and move on the more realistic and achievable targets.

You see, I feel to some extent that we should stick we the current strike-force, as they are all likely to progress further in the coming season. Theo (14), Pod (11), Santi (12), Giroud (11) scored 48 PL goals between them and except for Santi – who quite frankly has been sublime last season – I reckon all players can improve their goal tally by 33-75%.

Giroud’s second seasons at his previous clubs have seen a dramatic improvement of around 100%; I am not banking on a similar improvement by I reckon he will improve by 50% next season. The Pod has done well on the left wing this season, but I reckon he will be fitter and more adjusted to the PL next season, and a productivity improvement by a third is not inconceivable. And then there is Theo who is getting more prolific every year, and we should see further improvement next season, somewhere between 33-50%.

Therefore, I believe our current four main attackers could reach a total tally of around 62 goals next season, an improvement by 14 goals. If our remaining midfielders (from whom we need more ‘open goals’ next season), defenders and squad players in attack (Gerv, Ox), can at least match their total goal tally of 24 last season, Arsenal could score in the region of 86 goals, which would match the Mancs total of last season. That would surely be enough to become champions (if accompanied by a lean and mean defence next season).

I reckon we need more strength in depth, though, as those four attackers will have to cover three positions in all games we play. Ox should improve further and hopefully will start scoring more regularly, and there might still be a role for Gervinho; but we need a bit more quality/lethalness in the squad.

I am not going to say no to the likes of Higuain, Jovetic or Rooney joining us this summer, far from it; and I hope the club will give everything to bring one or two of them to the home of football. But I hope we’ll draw the line at some point and move on.

As per the above, I would also be happy to see the likes of Michu or Benteke join us. The most important thing is to keep our attackers together and give them a chance to improve further next season, but add some strength in depth that we can rely on.

Arsenal had the third highest goal tally in the PL last season, and that with three players who had their first season in the PL, and one player who was unsettled until January. More is to come, one way or another. So let’s stay patient and hope Gazidis and Wenger do what’s best for the club.

But as always, let us know where you stand on the Higuain situation and who you beleive Arsenal should buy to improve our attack further.

Written by: TotalArsenal.

127 Responses to Who should Arsenal go for if we miss out on Higuain?

1. Ian Hawthorne says:

We can’t afford to miss out on Higuain , simple as that. There is NO player of his quality available for less than 30m.
    I would get David Villa in for a couple of years or Benteke.
    But neither are in the same league as Higuain. Villa is but only short term

2. Given the number of times Santi hit the upper tiers I think he could improve by 30%

3. GaryH says:

I believe we need a striker, attacking left midfielder, midfielder, Defender and a goalkeeper.

SC Higuain would be an excellent signing, If we cant get him we should try to sign Dzeko.
    ML would go for Sterling or promote Gnarby to first team
    MC Fellaini, Capoue or Stootman in that order
    DC Sakho could form a club/international partnership with Kos. If not get the Croat Jedvaj
    GK Cesar or Adler would be solid signings putting Szczesny on notice to improve

4. Joel foster says:

For the 1st time sense the end of the season I finally agree with someone on the current condition of the squad. Great article

5. Dylan says:

We need Higuain. He’s world class at 25 and will only get better. He’s got pace, intelligence, and incredible finishing. He completes our attack. And I’m confident we’ll get him, and get him for way less than he is worth. 🙂 But if I had to pick a second choice it’d be Lewandowski. We could probably get him for a similar price to Higuain and with Aubameyang going to Dortmund, it looks like he’s available. 🙂

6. onyeabor says:

Am no longer happy with the way arsen do things. May clubs are building their weak areas whereas sting club are not ready to sign a single player. Shame

Hi guys, thanks for coments until now.

Ian are you sure about that: 30m is a lot of money!

Chiangm: yep, if Santi can further improve his shooting he could indeed add to his goal tally.

GaryH: that would be far too many changes and mean another transitional year. Two quality players and a veteran, PL experienced GK would do for me.

Joel, cheers 🙂

Dylan: I am not confident at all. It is taken too long in my opinion, but who knows. Lewandowski would be my preference anyway, but even harder to get imo.

onyeabor: we’ll be fine! 🙂

8. Gbangu says:

I total support all that u said. Arsenal can still improve without new players. Our enimy is injuries that always pull us back.

9. Abduljeleel says:

if at the end we miss on gonzalo i will prefer going michu cos of his pl xprience n sharpness infront of goal

10. rellends says:

sorry, we cannot take it as a given that last seasons front three will improve upon their tally from last season. it would be criminal to miss out on higuain. he’s just what we need, we do tend to create chances and someone who knows exactly where the goal is is the difference between 0-0 at stoke or 0-1 at stoke. this deal should have been closed by now.

11. Dylan says:

Looks like Lewandowski is out of the question. I need a new choice now! And with Aubameyang gone there’s not many left that I like! 😉 Hmm…I would like to say Benteke, but he would cost far too much. So I’m going to surprise everyone and say Javier Hernandez of Manure. IF we can get him for a reasonable price. He’s got pace, good finishing with head and feet, and he knows what it’s like to win. 🙂

12. Dylan says:

My other choice being Jovetic, if the price is right. (insert joke about the game here). 😉

Cheers Abduljeleel, and yes Michu would be a good signing for us.

Gbangu, cheers and yes injuries are our biggest worry and that’s why we need to add some strength of depth

Cheers Rellends,

There are no givens in footie, just assumptions. HIguain could flop, or make us one-dimensional/over-dependant of him (just like we were of van Judas).

I would love him to come, though, as I rather think positively about what he would bring to the team, but a guaranteed success, or an automatic three-point grabber against teams like Stoke, is not a given at all.

Dylan, Jovetic would be my favourite signing up-front this season, with the exception of Fabregas and a few unrealistic options. 🙂

You don’t seem to believe we would also do well next season if we did not sign a big name striker this summer, right?

17. ProudGooner says:

I totally agree with all you have said and feel the same fustration about lack of news even more so as every time i check BBC sport site or Sky you see the spuds have made a good signing., But like you said i just hope the club gets its targets.
    As another choice if we can’t get Higauin i feel a player that we deffo could have is Loic Remy and i think he is a very skillful player and could be a very high goal scorer. What do you think about him?

Cheers PG

Remy would be quite a gamble. I felt he would often switch off in games for certain periods. Technically very good, though.

I would also be happy for us to sign Dzeko or Torres. Anybody with PL experience and a good track record could add value to our existing attackers.

19. ProudGooner says:

I deffo think Remy could be very good , he may be a little gamble though. I am not sure about Torres ness he come very cheap.
    I like your Benteke suggestion, did you know he is a gooner and its a dream of his to play for AFC.?

20. ProudGooner says:

Michu to could be very good if he can score 20 PL goals for Swansea imagine more many more he could get linking up with Santi and Arteta.

I didn’t know that PG. Benteke has a lot going for him.

Yes, Torres is a gamble but he might just find his form again and there would be less pressure on him initially.

PG, I like it that our strikers spread the goals somehow between them, and I agree, Michu could fit in really well.

23. Admir says:

Hello, people!

Finally someone asking a proper question given that our negotiator hasn’t penetrated with Higuain offer yet.

Now, let’s put aside a high probability that we won’t sign anyone apart from Sanogo (yes, I’m still a pessimist) and pretend there is a chance some of our wishes will come true, I’d say Mario Gomez would be a good choice. He wouldn’t be that expensive, he is a proven goal-scorer and his record at Bayern is similar to the one Higuain has had in Real Madrid.

I’d just add one more thing regarding goals from other parts of the team – Arteta scored 5 out of six of his goals from penalty spot comparing to six goals scored from either open play or free-kicks in season before, Vermaelen scored none this season comparing to six in season before, etc. In my statistical analysis I made for allarsenal.com a few weeks ago, I came up with conclusion that we actually deteriorated comparing to 2011-12 and one of the things where we suffered a drop was number of players that scored goals for us in Premiership – 12 comparing to 17 in season before.

24. ProudGooner says:

Although i believe Podolski is happy to see another striker join us i’m not so sure Theo would be as happy with it, i am sure he would be happy for the team to improve but we all know he wants to be centre forward and that is where he will end up for us and i am happy about that, he was a completely different animal last season stronger, more determend more goals. Walcott is vital to us now he is going to be great from now on i feel.

25. Ian Hawthorne says:

Can’t believe how many people think Michu would be a good signing for us.
    Come on , he is a one season wonder if ever I saw one
    David Villa for 2 years til Chuba Akpom is ready to step up

26. Ian Hawthorne says:

To Admir Arteta scored so few goals last season because he was playing a far less advanced role. In fact he was the LEAST advanced of our midfielders as in holding role

PG

I think Theo up-front could work but only with a strong nr10 behind him (not Cazorla or Jack). That is why I want Jovetic (or Cesc of course).

28. ProudGooner says:

Benteke would join us in a heart beat TA, its just he knows the manager will not sell him ness its around 30 million. This must annoy him but i think if Benteke keeps up his form in he future he will play for Arsenal. If they had of gone down last season he could of been ours now but as he kept Villa up by himself you can see why they will not let him go when his contract is still long. I am pretty sure that 1 is about 2 seasons away. I’m afraid.

Yes PG he is very expensive, unless he does the whole transfer request business etc.

The goal he scored against the Chavs towards the end of the season was fantastic.

30. ProudGooner says:

I would be happy with Villa for a quick fix, he is proven. Then we can plan for 2 years while he is there if we don’t get our main targets.
    i am with you on Jovetic he would be great and his club have said for the right price he can leave 🙂 we should put in an offer asap

Agreed on Villa, PG. Despite his lack of PL experience he would help us tremendously for two years or so.

32. ProudGooner says:

I am sure the club are trying very hard to secure they targets asap, we will just have to be patient. I always back Wenger and the club, but this time if they lose out over haggleing over a couple of million i will be very annoyed. I would still back them but that would really annoy me money is for spending, that is what it is for so spend.

33. ProudGooner says:

Podolski, Villa, Walcott
    That would give any team problems lol 🙂

34. ProudGooner says:

OX , Arteta, Santi
    same back four
    Ceser

35. ProudGooner says:

OX and Rosiky rotate , I like the tackles Tommy outs in and he he an attacking threat.

Admir, very good points.

Ramsey, Jack, Rosicky and Arteta (and Diaby) need to improve their (open play) goal contributions significantly; another reason why we are after Fellaini perhaps…

But this should be possible, especially Jack and Ramsey should improve their goal scoring.

37. ProudGooner says:

I forgot Jack , i really hope Diaby can stay fit he could just be the missing piece to the puzzle. I always thought before Ramsey got injured that he was better them Jack. He will deffo improve there is a lot more to come from him too. His goal record can only improve it cant get any worse ha ha ha.

All agreed, PG. There is a lot to come from our boys. 🙂

39. Highbury Harmony says:

Top quality article TA and a very well-reasoned and balanced rationale for the lack of transfer activity thus far :).

If we can’t sign Higuain, then I don’t want anyone else! Just kidding of course, but anything other than him would be a colossal let down at this point since he is the type of clinical finisher we have all been craving for.

I’m hoping that by the end of this month, the mess at Real will have been resolved and that this transfer saga can finally be concluded as it has been reported to be very close all summer long. Unfortunately, the prolonged discussions only create further unrest among fans since it makes the manager/club seem frugal and unwilling to sacrifice the extra £1 or 2 million to purchase the player we desire.

I believe that all our transfer activity will be dictated by either the Higuain or Fellaini purchases. Once one deal is completed, the dominoes will start to fall. Arsene will not pursue other players until he is certain that these deals will not come to fruition. The bargaining power he will have and attractiveness of our club if he signs one of these top quality players will make it much easier to persuade other top quality, established players that Arsenal are back in the title race domestically and in Europe.

Hi HH 🙂

Got your email and have responded.

Very good point that getting one top player will make it easier to get another one, and I have little doubt that our negotiators are doing everything to get Higuain. But it takes five to tango in this case: Arsenal, RM, Higuain, a top signing for RM, and the club of this transfer prospect.

I just think RM are hurting over losing out on Neymar and are desperate to add a real, top quality player who can match Barecelona’s coup…. And there are not many, if any, options, except maybe for Cavani…

Letting Higuain go at this stage will possibly lead to criticism by fans, media etc…

but it is just a little theory. 🙂

41. davydavy says:

Hi TA

Interesting question. I can’t see RM trying to keep Higuain if he wants to leave, but I think you’re right on the money about their need to appease the media and the public with star signings. They might try again with Cavani but it’s head to head against Citeh and PSG for him, so perhaps with the Higuain money they will move for Suarez or even have another go at persuading Aguero to leave the EPL.

If he doesn’t come to the Arsenal, should we look at Damaio again? We saw him with Brazil at the Olympics and he looked good (plus it would be fun to nick a Sp*rs target of course).

I guess Suarez or Aguero would be welcomed by their fans to some extent, agreed davydavy.

Must admit, I don’t know much about Damaio, but a part of me wants Arsene to find a Wengergem who could have an instant impact.

43. OMGArsenal says:

Interesting question TA….here is my take on strikers that might be available for a fee similar to Higuain’s:

1)1st choice ……Gomez of Bayern (saw him play at Stuttgart and is a fox-in-the-box plus a born scorer!
    2)2nd choice …..Rooney since he ticks all the boxes and it is a WC year so he’ll want to shine.
    3) Torres ….this is a big gamble but if we can get him cheap and Wenger feels he can reinvigorate el nino’s career?
    4) Villa is getting a bit long in the tooth but he still has the knack….but Barca won’t seel to us cheaply!
    5) Dzeko is a talented but moody player but under Wenger he’d likely develop into a better player.
    6) Hernandez is also a high potential target but Moyes isn’t likely to part with a player of his calibre, especially to his rival(s).
    7) Jovetic seems to me to be a gamble as the EPL is tougher than Seria A and the gap between LaLiga and Seria A is very wide.

thanks TA, nice one

Michu ? no thank you… we shouldn’t even be thinking about getting Michu anywhere near the emirates when we have a Michu of our own in disguise (Giroud)….regardless of how great of a season Michu has had, i’m still not convinced.

we need top top quality and proven players, if we can’t sign someone who can improve our team and take us forward then it’s better to stick with what we have instead of buying just for the sake of it .

the higuain deal reminds me of Mata/hazard…at one point the mata deal was apparently in the bag with bbc reporting it , if memory serves….anything is possible in football and for that reason i see TMHT and PeePee have both gone AWOL , ha

i do however believe that getting either one of Torres or Lukaku can be good for us,

other alternatives :

– Hernandez (Mancs)

– Henry 🙂

45. Rohan says:

really like the site and well done on replying to everyone on the comments, top work and shows you care. In my opinion, RM are just digging their heels in, i like your idea that they want to announce there own big signing before losing a star. Think Higuain will join sooner rather than later though. Then on to a midfielder and a keeper and id be a very happy man.

yep, Gomez would be very very good although, i hear he’s going to italy ?

Excellent summary of options, OMGArsenal.

My favourite would be Jovetic out of that list, but all the other players would be welcome too! hahaha 😛

Gomez is a good striker but I have never warmed to him in the sense of wanting him to become a Gunner.

Thanks Rohan, and agreed on those signings as our main priorities.

Nice one TA

Relax guys, Higuain is ours

According to my source (hahahaha) we have a pre contract agreement with Higuain and a gentlemans agreement in place with Madrid.

TA is spot on. Both clubs and the player himself as per the arangement are not talking about the deal until Madrid have sorted out a replacement.

Stay paitent, hope there is no hicups and the bloddy thing goes through.

Rohan,

for me, it wouldn’t matter whether we sign Higuain first or Cesar, Fellaini or anyone else…

let’s get a signing done and announce it in time to ease the nerves a little, work on higuain in the back ground if RM are being RM….i reckon it all has to do with Cavani,

soon as Cavani is sold, RM are perhaps hoping on starting a bidding war and getting the most out of it (and to be honest, i don’t blame them either), i would have done the same thing…. (bear in mind, we did it with RVP as well or else he would have been at Juventus not mancs).

51. ProudGooner says:

Huunterlar? He has a lot to offer and would add to the team and Arsenal are a bigger club then Shalke so he could be pursuded . I really do rate him, even if i do get an imagine of him every time i say his name in my head. It was when he scored against England and he bite a huge divert of turf and he was knocked out with a huge lump of grass in him mouth.

Jambon 🙂

I am not suggesting to sign for the sake of it, but to improve our strength in depth. Michu would not be the same as Higuain, of course, but he would nevertheless strengthen our strike-force in terms of depth.

My point in the post is also that we have a lot of potential for growth in the current strike force…. 😉

hahaha Terry – you are the quintessential key board hero! 🙂

But a bringer of good news, however frivolous, will be tolerated as long as it remains a possibility. 😛

PG,

I guess Arsene did not want Huntelaar when he allowed him to sign a new contract with Schalke six months ago. But yes, he would be a very good alternative.

wow, we have bid 30 million for Suarez

and apparently it’s rejected…

just wow !

telegraph are reporting it, so that’s hot – i likes !

56. ProudGooner says:

I suppose they would have put a huge buy out clause on Hunterlaar, shame but if there is a way to get him for 30 million or under then i think he would be near on perfect.
    No matter how bad we think this TW is . Cast our minds but over the last few seasons and remember not looking who we are getting but instead worrying about who is leaving. Now that we are not doing that it really is not so bad just a little more patience .

57. Admir says:

I’m really glad that our offer for Suarez was turned down as I don’t want someone tainted with racism anywhere near an Arsenal shirt.

that offer for Suarez may mean a number of things such as :

1: RM- up yours.

3: Rooney, higuain (unlikely to be joining us)

5: we have moved on from all the targets or perhaps they were all smoke to begin with

anyhow, i will be happy to have Suarez at the Emirates…that whole Racism thingy was blown out of proportion and if anyone can discipline him then it’s Wenger.

increase the bid to 32 million, or get Suarez to put in a transfer request.

while you’re at it, make a bid for Gareth bale (starting bid 5 million or there abouts 😀

59. Dylan says:

TA, no I think we would do well to sign a world class striker. I believe we could get 4th and maybe 3rd without a world class striker, but a world class striker brings in a trophy for us next season imo. 🙂 Plus, we need more depth and I’d rather add a world class striker than just Yaya. 😉

PG – he is too old for that sort of money. I cannot see Arsenal going for the The Hunter any more now. They missed their chance, unfortunately.

I reckon the apparent Suarez-bid is a smokescreen for somebody else.

James, Admir

He made deliberate racist remarks, and repeatedly, and he was rightly severely punished for it.

The question is whether he can learn and move on from this going forward. There is no doubt that his football skills would add a lot to the team, but as person he is highly controversial, and always at risk of pushing the self-destruct button.

I’d rather we go for somebody else.

Dylan, I just cannot see it as clear-cut as you do re the signing of a world class striker and winning a trophy.

I’d welcome a quality, established striker but to win a title a lot of factors have to work out for us..

yes, he was punished for it and that’s the end of that chapter for me, at the end of the day, in the spur of the moment people often say things they don’t mean, he got punished, issued an apology

we move on.

sure, he’s a bit of an animal and needs to take it easy with his diving e.t.c e.t.c however, if Wenger wants him them Wenger’s got to have a plan.

30 million bid is no smoke i reckon, smoke is bidding 20 million for Rooney and perhaps Suarez,

30 million for me represents clear intention of signing a player and i am hoping we go back with an improved one or get him to hand in a transfer request.

or perhaps we can offer them 30 million plus Chamakh 🙂 ….

*then that must mean Wenger’s got to have a plan.

also bear in mind that all this time, Suarez has been mentioning RM out loud all the time, so perhaps him using RM was smoke screen ?

i can see him leaving anfield this summer due to not being in europe…a player of his caliber (not how i say player and not personality), deserves to play in the CL.

but the trouble is, where do you play him ? up front ? no.10 or on the left ?

James, all agreed except for one thing: he did mean it, and he knew it was wrong but did it to get right under the skin of Evra, I have little doubt about that.

IF Arsene would sign Suarez, I will be totally amazed. I cannot see it ever happening; it must have been done to put pressure on the Higuain deal, or maybe Jovetic…

He would play behind Giroud in the hole or on the wing. If we play a fluent-three up front say Pod-Suarez-Theo, Suarez would effectively play everywhere up-front. But, I REALLY cannot see Arsene bidding seriously for Suarez.

Night all 🙂

in Arsene we trust to surprise us all.

so he likes to get dirty on the pitch and play his football to ensure his team wins, who remember that blatant handball to stop a goal and conceding a penalty for uruguay so his team could win ?

yep, it shows this guy will do anything to get his team over the line and sometimes his methods are beyond insanity

so i say , so what ? what has being civil and sane brought us ? we need a little insanity in this team (could either make it or break it, ha)

no, but on a more serious note, it would be fantastic to see him at the emirates and letting Wenger calm him down…

you see, for me, it’s how your team mates view you and taking that into consideration, most if not all of his team mates have nothing but support for him, with Stevie G often wanting him to be voted the best player of the year and so on …that’s a pretty strong indication on how the guy actually works hard during training e.t.c e.t.c

i can forgive and forget the rest, as long as there are proper mechanisms in place to keep him in check (sports psychologist for starters ?

i can also see why the majority of fans would be against Suarez joining the Emirates (makes perfect sense) but i have never been amongst the majority, ha

it’s football after all and let’s face it, we want us to win either by hook or crook, morals and so on go out of the window as soon as the whistle blows.

70. Highbury Harmony says:

TA, was Isco not a big enough coup?! He won the Golden Boy Award last year!

If anything, I believe they just do not want to sell Higuain until they have a replacement lined up for ST. We all know how it turned out for Arsenal when we sold RVP and could not buy a replacement for him…

71. Admir says:

James, I actually defended Suarez for that deliberate handball against Ghana. It was sort of a professional foul, something that brings a punishment that every player can choose as a lesser evil comparing to certain goal opponent would score. However, a racism is something else, something more serious and more dangerous. To put it simply: nobody in the history died from professional foul while racism has killed millions. If Wenger signs Suarez, he can send a bid for Ryan Shawcross as well. Our greatest player of all times had problems with racism and was on the edge to leave the pitch due to insults he was subjected to. Signing someone like Suarez who idiotically claimed in his defense that the word he used isn’t considered as an insult in his own country would be a spat on Henry’s statue. Suarez is a brilliant player, I have no doubt about it, but…

I agree with you and TA that this bid might be a message to Real Madrid. Los Merengues need money to fund a transfer of either Suarez, Cavani or Bale and we sent them a message that they won’t get a penny for Higuain as we can go for big names as well.

Speaking of Higuain, wasn’t his best season the one when Pellegrini was the manager of Real Madrid? Shitty are a little bit short in strikers department after Tevez and Balotelli went to Italy.

Jambo 🙂

Yes we need some of that mad passion in our team, and I guess that is why you like Shrek so much too. I even agree to forgive and forget, and give him a new chance, but this is the sort of player who will cost a team a final in the future, and who has a propensity to cause the club a lot of damage sooner or later. Wenger will not sign him, I just cannot see him do that.

TA – You did it? ha ha – I do agree with you opening angle too. The current front runners will improve, but an addition(or two) will assist them?

I have long been pushing for for a suitable pairing for Giro, and I could see that the right one bringing in a 40 goal tally between them.

Higgy, alas, would not be the one for him,, but I could see Poldi benefiting from having more space, so he too will improve his tally – should this saga come to a successful conclusion.

On that note, I think the Suarez thing, and Rooney for that matter is just their way of saying to RM – Look, we can go elsewhere you know!

Meanwhile, RM are just delaying things. Whatever bid is put in at the moment I feel RM will just ask a bit more. Why are they stretching it out? Well, with Arsenal being the only bidder they will hope someone else will eventually step up, then they have a proper auction. They know he is going to leave, but they want everything in place, including the maximum they can get for Higgy, in order they can put up a ‘too much to refuse’ offer for Bale? That is the bottom line?

With Cavani gone to PSG, Falcao to Monaco, there is not another high profile signing to be had? So they are playing the long game. Luckily for us, Higgy wants to come, and might just refuse to go any where else? We can but hope that is the case?

I suspect the reason why other possibilities will be raised elsewhere among the rumours mongers, is, if the Higgy thing does not happen today, and I mean TODAY, then if the legal team have not already pulled out, they will tomorrow. It is a bluffing game,and AW is always prepared to lose, it should be noted?

So alternatives?

Wilf Bony? Hijack the Swansea deal(?) perhaps.

Benteke would certainly enter the picture too, but then I feel we would still need someone else to pair with Giro, unless we really do unleash the power of the Ox?

I saw the revival of an earlier interest named yesterday that could well be a useful signing, if not quite the sg signing we are hoping for – Alain Toure? He would need to adjust to the pace of the EPL, which is not in his favour. I would have preferred Aubameyang, if that deal was a hi-jacking possibility.

Torres comes with too much baggage I feel. I’m not sure he could handle the ‘Chelsea reject’ tag either. But if Arsene could restore him to his former self, then THAT player would be a shoe-in alongside both Giro and Poldi?

That would be a bigger project than Rooney though?

And Suarez would be an even bigger project, in acceptability terms, than either of the above?

So the most likely outcome is Higgy, eventually. Or an Henry-esque gem that AW is as yet to reveal?

Admir – We appear to agree on the current state regards RM – I just took longer to write my response.
    Cheers

HH 🙂

Didn’t we buy van Judas’ replacement before we sold him?

Isco was a good signing for them but the narrative is: Barca have Neymar and Messi – the two best players in the world blah blah blah.

76. Hello TA,fellow gooners..

Just the post we all needed TA..top stuff!!

The thing with the ‘silly season’ is with ALL the names thrown at us by the media, we start investing in the players emotionally and cap it up with a video compilation entitled..”Player X, Welcome to Arsenal”..i’ve watched one 4 Mvilla, Mata and many more players whose deals were ‘near’ completion only to be left MASSIVELY disappointed.

I’ve there4 learned not to get too much into such stuff, though i’d be lying if i didn’t admit it KILLS me…but then again, i believe this is the price we ALL pay 4 being gooners..our transfers take FOREVER 2 complete and then there are the VERY VERY VERY annoying ‘jokes’ from the social medias and rival fans..take this 4 example..”Gonzalo Higuain has undergoing a medical at Arsenal but fainted because of the dust in their trophy cabinet”…heard it first from a manure fan then saw the same on twitter..pissed the hell out of me.

I believe with our current squad, we have enough 2 nick in 3rd or 4th place but a top signing would boost our squad 2 become real title contenders…but i believe patience is a virtue..we just have 2 keep on holding our breaths(i’ve already bitten off all my finger nails..) and trust that Le Prof is working hard 2 add quality 2 our squad..and fully agreed TA..an experienced GK, a midfielder with ‘presence’ and a top striker will do.

PS…007..couldn’t agree with you more…lets start the Bale bidding war…5 million tops..LOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for a fine comment KG 🙂

I genuinely believe we could push for all the silverware next season with the current squad + a few real strength in depth acquisitions. Top quality would be great, but Wenger finds, develops and polishes his own top quality players; it is all a matter of time and keeping hold of our gems.

Arsenal have the money now, so why not get ready-to-rock top quality? But if it proofs too difficult, let’s get on with things.

Gerry, as always, thanks for a fine additional comment – a joy to read! 🙂

Yes, Giroud could do with a partner and it is not Higuain. Unleashing the Ox might work, but it is a lot to ask of him in our current 4-2-1-3 system, which has a lot of ‘conducting’ responsibilities for the ‘1’: Can Ox do that? Not yet, is my verdict.

Maybe Sanogo is the Henryesque gem in waiting …. 😛

79. By the way TA, you’ve been mentioning one particular name all along 4 the past couple of months..STEFAN JOVETIC…have seen his name do the rounds on newsnow but know very little about him..so you must obviously rate him..how good is he???…and please don’t tell me to search him on you-tube…:)..i need an enlightened non-overrated opinion about him..

KG

Your fellow countryman, Marcus, wrote a fine post about him a few months ago:

Marcus and I only disagree slightly where ‘Jove tics all the boxes’ should play. For me, he is the perfect man in the ‘1’ of our 4-2-1-3. He can drive from midfield with the ball at his feet, has great stamina and vision, passes well and is very attack-minded, has a great shot, strong in the air. In a nutshell: somebody who could play the Bergkamp ROLE really well.

Hope that helps, overrated or not!! 😛

81. Thanks TA…

That was an informative post by Marcus…one thing did catch my eye…Jovetic is being compared to the ICE MAN..god himself!!!!..is he really THAT good..if so, WHY have we cooled our interest in him???

I’m off to you-tube to check him out..:)

KG

He is not that good, no. At least not yet, and possibly never, but then who is? 😕

However, he can play the Bergkamp ROLE imo, and who knows how good he could become..

He is played a lot as Striker at Fiorentina, and for me that is not his ideal role. Two decades ago, Inter did the same with the Iceman…. the rest is beautiful history. 🙂

83. Dylan says:

TA, the world class striker doesn’t necessarily win us the league title as that takes a very strong squad, which we could have this season, but the signing of a world class striker doesn’t give us that. What a world class striker does give us is a win over Blackburn and Bradford. And that is what leads us to a FA Cup or at least a Capital One Cup. 🙂

84. Just watched two 6 minutes Jovetic videos and i could tell from my little football knowledge that he’s a top talent..i could also see how he’s miles ahead of his teammates..with a MASTER developer like Arsene, two years tops and he would be a world beater…but then again,not him or anyone else in my humble opinion can ever be ICE MAN good…EVER!!!

By the way there’s a story doing its rounds today of Jack replacing the manure-bound Thiago…BALONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, Dylan that theory makes more than sense, cheers! 🙂

KG

Very well spotted. He is often not spotted or ignored by his team mates, and you can see from his running and passing how clever he is – how well he reads the game.

Ignore any nonsense about Jack – Gunner for Life, simples. 🙂

87. When the manure fans sing of their title riches, i mention JACK to them..they walk away

When the chelsea fans sing of their never drying well of funds,i mention JACK to them..they know he’s priceless

Hell,some manure fans tell me they envy me coz we have JACK..point is, JACK is all i leave and breathe in football and even in this age where club loyalty means NOTHING, can’t help but LOVE and WORSHIP JACK..he’s our pride and joy

As soon as i read those news, i just disregarded them as PATHETIC JOURNALISM…and even if we could give them the benefit of doubt, JACK would dismiss them with ease(and maybe with a GIANT middle finger…:)..)

KG – we have Jack and Alex 😉

89. Very true TA..a brilliant core of Jack, Ox, Rambo and Gibbo to build on…the future can’t surely be brighter than this!!!!

90. I’m off till tomorrow..pat on the back 4 another TOP post TA..looking forward 2 another…

91. Admir says:

No Gomez for us anyway – he signed for Fiorentina. They paid just 20 million euros for a striker that has scored after every 67 minutes last season and 41 goals in 52 matches in season before that.

Cheers, KG. Have a nice day.

Admir, that’s cheap!

94. jnyc says:

Great post TA. I agree with your asessment of our squad. But there is no getting around the fact, we need Higuain. There is no player available, in our range, that is more perfect for our needs. With such pedigree! Im sure Madrid are being nasty deal makers. But you must admit, when a big team sees a player that they know they must have, to put them over the top- they pay the price. —–
    Fergie went out with the title, because he made it happen with vP. Look at the bayerne execs comments about OVER paying for javi martinez. A treble there. —
    and im sorry, Reals asking price is not unreasonable. —-
    if we screw this up, we are a joke of an organization now. This player could be the first of a new era where top players begin to consider Arsenal as an exciting prospect.
    If this goes like Mata, i will be disgusted. We are not asking to be like Chelsea or Man city, we just want to compete. As we are, we are missing main pieces, but with money sitting in the bank.
    —- we need to find a way to get it done.

Admir,

that was a good comment.

although i agree Racism is not a joke and shouldn’t be taken lightly, however, Racism is dealt plenty better now in UK as opposed to a lot of other countries…

i would have been very concerned had he done a similar thing again but he hasn’t and has learned his lesson in that regard even if he’s not to be a gunner, as a person he must.

point being, there is still a lot of work to be done on Racism in Football everywhere including England, however, it could be worse but it isn’t

in a way, him coming down to the emirates might actually be a fresh start and for him to start repairing his image and work his way up again (i know, as hard it may sound but it’s not impossible), ..everyone makes mistakes and we all deserve a 2nd chance or even a 3rd one sometimes, such is the price of being a human.

i do agree with core elements of your post though but as you can see, i am not really trying to defend his actions but merely balancing out the argument and pointing out that in the heat of the moment, we often say and do things that we normally wouldn’t and hence for a footballer, his stats should be doing most of the talking , unlike players like Suarez , who’s behaviour is often the talking point.

30 million is a lot of money for a smoke screen bid you know, it just goes to show that this summer we mean business and for this bid alone i am willing to forgive our lack of signings because it’s evident that we are actually quite active in the TW….

1: near 20 million bid for bender (rejected)

3: 22 million bid for Higuain (WIP)

5: 17-24 million for Fellaini (WIP)

5: 20 million bid for Rooney (rejected)

7: 30 million bid for Suarez (rejected)

8: 6 million bid for Greiner (rejecte).

to everyone else, keep your chin up, this deffo promises to be an exciting summer .

JNYC.

spot on !

and Cavani has signed for PSG it appears,

now then, expect a lot more teams being linked with Higuain – Chelsea, man city, e.t.c e.t.c

Gomez going to Florence means jovetic leaving sooner rather than later as well…if you think that’s cheap TA, then Tevez joining Juventus for 10 million was a bargain as well, both players had 1 year left on their contract

and surprisingly, Tevez will be getting less than 5 million an year at juventus which means e took a massive pay cut (and was well within our reach, his wages were very affordable).

Tevez/Suarez is the type of players we actually need !

98. Red Arse says:

Excellent stuff TA, 🙂

I would not mind if we bought Higuain —- I would not mind if we bought Rooney, or Lewandowski, and I am well aware that it would be pointless even thinking about Messi or Ronaldo (altho’ we once almost had him as a young player).

Do I think any of them are essential? Well no – I don’t. It has been all to easy to dismiss Olly Giroud as a hard working but ineffective forward, but I beg to differ.

Views become entrenched in the minds of many supporters who despite the evidence of their own eyes, continue to extoll the virtues of certain players while berating the efforts of others.

I happen to think that these views can become interlinked to the extent that one view unfairly influences the other.

What do I mean?

Well I am back to a theme I have raised before, and which no doubt antagonizes some folk. In my opinion, Giroud suffers from poor support from both our current wingers. Gervinho is often portrayed by those who like him, as having amazing dribbling skills, even tho’ they usually also acknowledge he ties himself up in knots, and he seems totally incapable of crossing the ball either, or seeing and laying on a defense splitting pass for Giroud, and frankly Walcott is not much better.

No one knows this better than Theo himself. He often excuses his running into blind alleys, or hitting the nearest defender with the majority of his crosses, a la Sagna, by saying he really sees himself as a centreforward (which he is absolutely not), and if only AW would give him the chance he would prove it blah, blah.

The victim in all this is Giro, and unless we improve in these areas, any number of new forwards that we buy to replace him would suffer the same consequences.

Forget Higuail etcetera, bring in new wingers to give Giroud the ammunition he needs to be successful.

99. Red Arse says:

Bond, James Bond, Jimmy, 🙂

You have to bear in mind that the old adage applies in football, “It takes two to tango” and I know many fans blame Wenger for being a miserable skinflint, but often the best players want to go to the clubs that are likely to win big championships.

Let’s face it, they can get incredible money wherever they go, if they are good enough, so the deciding factor is medals/trophies etc, and after 8 fruitless years the best players will ask themselves which club gives me a better chance of winning medals? Real, Barca, Manure, Chelsea, PSG ……… or Arsenal?

We need to cut Wenger some slack — he must find negotiations for the top players very frustrating indeed.

Thanks jnyc 🙂

You just don’t know whether this is still about money. I reckon it isn’t. I am so less convinced than you and others that Higuain will make such a big difference for us next season. I’ll welcome him but he’ll need adjusting to the PL and his overall impact might be a lot less than you expect.

For every Martinez/van Judas example there are many, many examples where paying ridiculous money for an individual player has not ‘put them over the top’ as you put it.

RA 🙂

Fine comments and all agreed. CF’s need wingers to give them silver-service.

Arsene has asked Giroud to turn into a holding/working central striker around whom the attackers can pivot. Goals are finely distributed and there is real scope for significant progress next season.

But why trust the old suit, the antique watch, the familiar car when you have gold coins burning in your pocket, and the chicks are checking you out? 😉

RA,

that’s a fair comment, however you see the likes of Monaco, PSG before that, Man City and chelsea luring away top players year in year out…

sure it’s difficult convincing top players joining you when you’re seen as a sinking ship, however, with probably the best manager in the world at the helm for so many years, it should sort of make it a little bit easier and then you have that thing called paying crazy money (as aforesaid above).

you’re right, it’s not Wenger’s fault when you have the law of dick doing all of the negotiations, ha

but on a more serious note, it would be nice to get a signing done sooner rather than later (Cesar is very much affordable i hear)

😀

RA,

it’s been a long time since we last got a post off you, would be nice to have one in the near future, if you can of course

same is the case with umair and rest of the writers, AFC keeps disappearing every time TA gives him the stares (TA , stop doing that !

104. Red Arse says:

JB,

Fortunately TA knows I do not have my heart in Post writing.

I have occasionally, as a duty call, both on BK and another blogsite we both used to frequent, made an occasional foray into the mystical world of football blog writing, but I find it personally unrewarding and beyond my skill set, and does a disservice to the blog readers.

It is abundantly clear to me, that it is of the utmost importance to be attuned to the mindset and mood of fellow bloggers, many of whom I admire, but I guess you either have it, or you don’t, and I fall into the latter category. 🙂

You must not, as TA will tell you, think that I am in anyway melancholic over this state of affairs, because you see, while fate bashes me vigorously on the head in the world of football writing, it makes up for it by making me strangely attractive to many women, who inexplicably are drawn to tall, over-weight (muscular?) 🙂 men, with an unfortunate physiognomy and a puerile sense of humor.

What else, I find myself wondering, can explain my ineptitude when writing on the subject closest to my heart, and yet, when I run a finger down the smooth, silky length of a stunning woman, up and over her heart stopping curves and on into the mysterious other world of heavenly paradise can explain the paradox of simple incompetence on the one hand, juxtaposed with the ecstasy I am capable of delivering in fruitful plenitude on the other.

I look forward to reading your Post — in the near future! 😀

JB – It is all very ll putting up a list of player we have supposed to have put in bids for, which are only paper quotes? Given we were ‘supposed’ to have had a £23 bid accepted for Higuain, but now it isn’t enough. Yet RM’s President say’s they have had no offers in yet?

The only one that got confirmed off your list was the derisory bid for Grenier? When or where have Liverpool said that they received a bid of £30m? They say a bid was rejected, which is not the same is it? The same thing with Bender and Rooney. I also it unlikely that Everton would say what they rejected, only that it did not reach the release clause, which again we were supposed to have triggered?

Get with it. This is what the papers and bloggers want you to think. I think TA had you bang to rights when he called you a ‘gossip tart’? Ha ha.

All I am saying is, don’t beat up the club you support just on the strength of the headlines.

Mind, I am pretty peeved that an early offer did not go in for PEA, as he would have done well here. I hope they don’t make the same mistake with Ginter and Le Gren while they are faffing about over the Higgy deal?

Keep smiling, something will turn up soon. or, to twist a line from Humphrey Bogart ‘We’ve always got Sanogo’ ….

….. as time goes by?

RA RA RA RA 🙂 🙂 🙂

you’re complicated ahahahahahahahah

but that’s ok, i understand, you’re deffo one of my favourite bloggers and writters, whether you write a post in the future or not !

but yeah, hot babes are a way to go , agreed !

Gerry 🙂

don’t believe a word “Perez” tells the press…he was saying big things about ronaldo as well in the past only for Ronaldo to indirectly to call him a “liar”…and today again he has stated that ” Ronaldo will retire at RM”.

sure, we can only speculate and talk about what’s been written, but believe you me, in the past 7/8 years, not as much has been written or us being linked to as many top players as we have this summer….and also the same for rejected bids and so on.

you see, the punters stopped taking bids for Suarez (and i was thinking to my self , impossible, they are doing this to entice more people into placing bets)….but a week later, it’s reported that we actually did make a bid, be it 30 million or another disclosed amount…no one is denying the bid.

either way, it’s exciting.

and gracias for calling me a tart, i love tarts with raspberry, hahahahha

TA – to answer your earlier reply re The Ox.

No, I don’t think he is ready right now. However, the more he plays the better he will be?

That is providing they don’t keep shuffling him about in different positions any more.Yes, he can slot in and do another job, but in my opinion, his best place will be is as an AM?

I have a similar thought regards Bellerin further down the line too. Okay, he has don his bit as an FB, Maybe he needs a bit more to get his tackling up to scratch, But whilst we are all drooling over what Navas will be doing at M.City, Bellerin will be that and then some in a couple of years, if he is allowed to?.

But back to the Ox. He needs to get a run of games where he can get a thorough understanding with his fellow attackers. Not just Giro and Poldi, but Jack, Santi, and Walcott. If he then has a spell on the bench, or even in the Under 21’s occasionally, and missing a few..That way he will be able to space out his tough games and and avoid the dreaded burn out?

I hope if DB10 does join the coaching staff, and he can get over the need for proper rotation, if that is what it takes to get it done?

*i don’t believe a word “Perez” tells the press…

110. Dylan says:

Hmm…some interesting news:
    Anyone heard of this kid? And thoughts on him coming on trial with us?

111. Admir says:

RA, I beg to differ when it comes to Walcott’s crosses. The biggest problem when it comes to Walcott’s crosses was that he usually sent them too late. He had a solid number of assists last season and some of them came after crosses (mostly from corners). He wasn’t David Beckham but he wasn’t Stewart Downing neither.

112. Dylan says:

JB, that is interesting! And shocking! We already have a 31 year old DM in Mikel, why add a 32 year old one? Especially if we plan on bringing in this 20 year old. Surely we’d want someone around 26 to bridge the gap between the two? Unless we plan on bringing in Barry as a player coach. 😉

Dylan,

getting Barry on a free transfer and no more than 75-80 k wages on a 2 year contract, should be fine.

he’s not a bad player and option to have in case of injuries , suspensions or squad rotations

bear in mind, that’s only if we get him on a FREE transfer, if we have to pay a free then it’s a no from me.

that 20 year old will be joining our youth team and not the seniors i reckon..besides there is no replicate for experience.

New Post! 🙂

HH is back with a fine post! He wants to know what has happened to Arsenal’s earlier interest in that tiny, titchy DM at Celtic…. 🙂

115. Ian Hawthorne says:

Perez looked very good playing for Colombia in the under 20 world cup but his team mate Quintero was absolutely awesome. That’s who should be coming on a trial at Arsenal

116. willc88 says:

The whole Higuain story is getting very tiring now, especially with Madrid coming out today and saying they haven’t even recieved a bid! It’s never going to happen but I’d like to see Chicharito in an Arsenal shirt.

willc88

You are right, Chicharito will not be allowed to go to Arsenal – good player though.

118. ProudGooner says:

Benteke ha handed in a transfer request and refused to join the club on tour in Germany 🙂 🙂

119. ProudGooner says:

You know what we were saying last night about him being a gooner. Clubs linked are Arsenal Chelsea and Liverpool, i am 100% sure that he wants to not only be a gooner but be playing for us and banging in goals.

120. ProudGooner says:

Him and Fellani? The Belgium connection Benteke , Thomas V and Fellani that would add some strength to the side.

121. Ian Hawthorne says:

His name is Hernandez and he is good but nothing special. Anyone can score goals for Man Utd as they do create lots of chances plus teams play into their hands by retreating in the latter stages of a game if ahead or level and that’s exactly what they want you to do and it gets them lots of late goals cos teams defend too deep and loads of balls get into the penalty area = late winner again.
    Teams do that aginst us at the Emirates too hence lots of late winners but Man Utd do it to teams whan they play away as well.
    I wonder if Wenger celebrated Uniteds title last year cos he won it for them when he gave them RVP

Hi PG – we are on a new post! (click on home and then onto the new post). 🙂

123. ProudGooner says:

I would much prefer Benteke to the manc migget . A big powerful 22 year old who can score 19 PL goals for a bad Villa side. Villa have said all reports are true and if we meet there 25 million valuation of him he would be allowed to leave.

124. ProudGooner says: