The one player who will make all the difference this season

Midwestern-United-States--015

Arsenal continue to be linked with all sorts of so called super-quality players, who can hit the ground running, and hopefully, add a different dimension to our team.

We definitely could do with a spark, a bit of magic in our team, a big BOING as Glic would have it – especially in midfield: an AM who can conduct our play, score goals and produce plenty of assists.

Others feel what we really need is a super quality striker who can bag 20+ PL goals next season, and/or make other attackers a lot more effective.

Many feel we can only make real progress if Arsenal buy an AM and ST of the highest quality, and this might well happen this summer.

Most of us expect any additional spark to have to come from outside the club but, as every season has its own surprises, could it be that Wenger is getting one player from the current squad ready to do add that extra dimension, the new spark, the talent that will move us forwards to the next level?

And what if he is banking, or should I say gambling,  not on one but two players to do just that?

We might get a back-up CB, PL experienced back-up GK, and hopefully a beast of a DM (with additional football skills) to strengthen the ‘back-seven’: GK, back four and double DM-pivot. This will enable us to remain solid defensively throughout the season. But the spark/extra dimension is likely to come from the (predominantly) attacking four: the AM and three front men – assuming Arsene will continue with our 4-2-1-3 formation. Although, I should add the b2b midfielder will also play a crucial role.

In Pod, Giroud and Cazorla we have players who can do their job really well, and as they are all entering their second season in the PL and are in the very best years of a footballer’s career, more can be expected of them. Maybe, it will be one of them who will bring that bit of extra dimension next season. Cazorla has definitely come a long way in providing it for us last season.

There could be an unexpected semi-spark/dimension from one of the youngsters: Yaya Sanogo, Gnabry, Eisfeld, Ryo, etc. You just never know!

But I am going to go for  at least one, if not two, of the super talents of Theo, Ox and Jack. A fully fit Jack will make a tremendous difference this season; Theo is likely to progress further as a winger/striker and might reach that extra-dimension level; but my hard cash is on the Ox.

There is something about the body language of AOC that makes me think he is ready for the big stage. Our number 15 will become twenty years old two days before the start of the new PL season, and I reckon this will be his breakthrough year. There is something about his posture, his facial expressions, and his general demeanour that makes me think he will be the one this season. It is just a gut-feeling, but my gut is feeling good! 🙂

The Ox: ready to add the extra spark next season?

The Ox: ready to add the extra spark next season?

I am still hoping we add some extra-spark from outside this summer, and I am sure we will, but we might (also) get a lot of fun from a guy we have been developing to start firing from all cylinders on the biggest stage:  I reckon the Ox has sharpened his horns now and is ready to take on the world.

Written by: TotalArsenal.

65 Responses to The one player who will make all the difference this season

1. alexgunners says:

From Last post::

Wasn’t sure if they were showing live to most places. Fortunately I have found that Setanta is showing it live

It is on ESPN here (used to be Setanta) so really looking fwd to it 🙂

3. alexgunners says:

Good start by the lads, Great cross by Rosicky

4. alexgunners says:

Great article
    For me, this year will be year of the OX!! The confidence is there, the skills have always been there. There will hopefully be some sort of spark from outside the current squad but for me it will be Theo stepping it up more. Jack will lead us and OX will have a breakout season similar to what Jack the Lad had a few seasons back.

I would like to see Jenks provided an opportunity as he is Arsenal through and through and I would like to see him take his game to the next level

5. Dylan says:

I’m watching on a horrendous live stream. Anyway. Good post TA. 🙂 I agree. Ox is ready and will come good this season.

6. Gooner4eva49 says:

Hi TA,

Great post as usual. I understand what you say but I really can’t put my finger on a individual that would stand out alone, if it were to happen. I’m finding it difficult to have a clear perspective of arsenal. The torture window and everything makes the mind so cloudy.

I do think there will be more than a few heroes this coming season. This also reiterates my thinking of if, just if, we didn’t sign anybody and saw out the season with the personnel we already have.

I know squad depth is so important but this season will be completely different for pod Olivier n santi. Even nacho. A second year for them, settled and a better understanding of what the league demands. If we could guarantee a fit healthy full season of our best 11 I do believe we will do really well. And any signings that may come could gazump any further player development and progress not forgetting team cohesion. With a good pre season and playing time it is inevitable for those players to improve. (Same applies to the likes of rambo and others) All I can say is look at our run to the end of last season.

Say we spend big wouldn’t it b a shame either way if the likes of pod n giroud were pushed aside or if this £30-40m signing/s just sat on the bench? I know depth is important but we must b reminded we do already have great players.

The last statement about ox is spot on. Lets hope he steps up cos he really does look up for it!

7. alexgunners says:

Dylan, the important thing is that you get to watch it

8. alexgunners says:

Dont know how much truth is in it but apparently Bernard is having a medical with us on Friday after he plays in the final of Copa Libertadores with his current side

9. patrick Iyke Noble says:

I agree with you, AOC a.k.a the OX has all it takes to command the attention of the soccer world this season, his maturity on the field of play is enormous, he has the ability, agility, balance and pace coupled with skills to take on any opponent….i really do agree with you.

Thanks Patrick – glad we see the same potential for Ox to break through this season. 🙂

Alex, Dylan,

I thought the game was on tonight?! ESPN are showing it later tonight but not now…. 😦

12. mA says:

good post Total

Watching the game versus Nagoya live and the boys have done fantastic in the opening exchanges. Giroud is that good I must say. Is it just me who sees Sagna more suited at Center back?In the opening 30 mins he has made about 3 vital interceptions/blocks, used his weaker foot and played offside successfully. BFG has congratulated him. I could argue that Wenger goes for a Right Back and move Sagna centrally.

Rosa in the hole is also unmatched with his driving runs. Personally I would recommend the Ox to learn from Rosicky on how to conduct a game. Similar to Rosa, the Ox possesses the technical ability to out-maneuver opponents as well as the ‘penetrating’ runs. What is more, the Ox has a great engine and younger.

13. alexgunners says:

Game is on now, nearly half time at the moment

Total, it is on NOW. Its half time and our boys have looked really sharp. Pleased for Ryo.
    Good stream on the computer if you cant get ESPN

15. alexgunners says:

VCC,

How are you? Just wanted to confirm that you did receive my email.

Nice post Total. You could well be right about the Ox. He is showing some meanness and hunger, which are a vital ingredient when performing in the premiership.

But, I am still hopeful we can acquire a top notch striker. Higuain/Suarez. One of these would give our squad a massive lift, and either would score many goals in the prem.

I’m still convinced a TQ striker is the missing link we need to compete with the big boys again. Strike fear into the opposition defence, get them on edge and take full advantage of other fine goal scorers we have in our team.

If Arsene doesn’t want to sign the cheque on behalf of Arsenal FC. he only has to give me a ring and I would gladly do it. lol.

Hi Alex. Im fine, been busy thuis lovely Summer we are having. Yes received the email and will reply with some rules soonest.

How is the new addition? A true Gooner I hope.

18. alexgunners says:

VCC,
    The new Gooner is progressing well and due in October.
    As you can see my new Gravatar, it is her first Arsenal top with her name on it.
    Definitely a true Gooner in the making

For those with access to the Arsenal Player, they are showing it ‘as live’ at 1.30pm?

I think I will go and renew my membership and watch it then.

TA – Do you realise that one Saurez is worth 175,000 ‘Player subscriptions?

Alternatively he about 12% of the new Addidas deal – We could buy 8 such value players over the next 5 years?

Or, more down to the level of the real market, 1 x Saurez = 2 x RVP? (on our sale price?)
    We only got 18 months of good playing out of him, whereas we have the potential to get 4 years good service(best case scenario, admittedly) with Saurez.
    United bought the title with that deal, and there was no guarantee he would not get crocked in the first month?
    Football is a risky business, but a title is a title …

I’ll answer this post later as I don’t want to know anything about the match. But first I will have to make my contribution to the Saurez deal ha ha

20. alexgunners says:

Zelalem is looking great. A future star in the making perhaps???

21. jgc says:

TA

Interesting, I wouldnt disagree with your characterisations of, to me,

Theo = the hard worker
    Jack = the natural
    Ox = the potential star

For me tho, I think Ox will shine (really shine) only if we get your beasty DM to free him up a bit from the pressure that could be focused on him. A top drawer ST might do the same, bt might also cover his light up a bit…

Otherwise, I am still going with my Cesc for 50m, as Moyes is making bid #2 it seems and, to my mind, would not have come back for that if there wasnt some form of encouragement at the Barca end. So, perhaps AW is merely waiting on the whole saga to see if that comes up?

In response to mA and you TA, we have in past discussed how Sagna might be that added CB but also perhaps that DM to an extent(??)

cheers from Luik, Lidj, Luttich, Liege — jgc

22. mA says:

This boy Zelalem, i don’t know how he can play a wonderful-defence-splitter pass to the delight of fellow players (Theo’s goal). The pass practically left everyone static with only Theo noticing the ball. Wenger is amused too. Something special about him and his composure is breathtaking for a 16yo.

23. Gooner4eva49 says:

Wilshere’s balls to Walcott have been bloody excellent

Cheers guys 🙂

Fine comments until now. Unfortunately, I don’t have much time to watch the game and will have to wait till the evening. Good to hear the boys are playing well again…. are we showing what a summer without transition can do the team or is it too early to say that…

Dylan, no pressure and I am reading your stream is poor, but if you fancy a small match write up it is all yours… 🙂

Zalalems touch is exquisite.

I don’t think Mertesacker can jump?

Alex….that’s a lovely name for a Gooner…..Bella

Hahaha Gerry – I like your pit-bullish tenacity and all good points 😛

I am not sure whether Van Judas won the Mancs the title – Berbatov was also scoring at about 0.6 goals per game in the last two seasons for them – but his treachery might have lost us it.

If only for you, I hope we get Suarez and he proves me totally wrong! 😉

One day there well be site called Bellakampesque, or more appropriate Bellaesque hahahaha 🙂

I like your descriptions, jgc. I like to add some as well.

Theo = the hard worker – the self-believer – the gear box
    Jack = the natural – the controller – the splitter
    Ox = the potential star – the penetrator (Glic behave…). – the turbo booster

31. alexgunners says:

TA & VCC,
    Full name will be Isabella but definitely i will be calling her Bella for short.
    I like Bellaesque. we are going to need a new crop of Gooners to keep up the passion for out club.
    Yoona the Gooner is another one to keep it going

It is a beautiful name, Alex. Hope she has the footie DNA hahaha 😛

Yoona and Bella……fine additions to the Gooner world.

Lots to do , catch you guys latterz.

34. alexgunners says:

I certainly do hope so.

To all, keep up the fine comments and ill check back tomorrow. A good night to all

Night Alex, catch you later Vickers 🙂

Just to let you guys know, there will be an evening post coming out around 10pm

37. STRETCHING AND ENJOYING IT says:

Yes TA, Chamberlin is the boy. With hm and Wilshere our future is gauranteed, i forsee great things, possibly even world domination.

Chamebrlin has the lot. Strong, skillful, powerful shot etc. The only thing that worries me is his size. i get the feeling one Jam Doughnut and his belly might envelope his face, but ime sure he will be ok.

Vicks, were the hell you been mate? Are you pissed off with me for spreading the Higuain rumour? fear not, i have it on good authority we are about to purchase Bernard. it was him we wanted all along. HIguain was just a ploy to stop our rivals looking at Bernard. i couldnt let on the truth in case i jepordised the Bernard deal. ime sure you understand. hahaha

Alex, Bella is a beautiful name son. The only problem is that the Mrs Cat is also called Bella. One good thing about been bansihed to the Loft is that i have as little contact with the feline runt as possible.

Its never liked me. Always sitting on the Mrs lap instead of mine. It just sits there giving me death stares but only from a distance. If i get close it scarpers.

I have no idea why it runs, yeah ok, behind the Mrs back i have kicked it a few times, but only when Arsenal have lost or i have checked my empty bank balance.

i also once trapped and bundled it in a sainsburys bag, drove about 20 miles on the M25, dumping it in some field. Then two days later i walked into the kitchen and it was sitting on the table giving me the death stare.

I dont know what it wants from me, but the last few nights i have woken to observe two evil illuminous eyes staring at me from the loft staircase and on the second occasion it had somehow climbed to the loft window and again, just stared.. Those eyes, christ those eyes hahaha.

38. jnyc says:

Positive article, but im not feeling so positive. I said over a month ago that we should make a strong offer and get Higuain. 25-26£ he is worth that. When we thought we had him at 22-23 it was a real bargain.
    when it was us vs juventus we had the chance. Our holding out for the bargain price led Madrid to decide to wait and see if something better would come along.
    i and others specifically said Napolis cavani money would ruin everything. It will also get suarez for madrid.
    — i hate to say i told u so, but we did.
    — 22-23 would have been a bargain. Why must we always get a bargain? I believe we could have had him with a STRONG, early, decisive affordable offer.
    — now if we miss Hig and suarez, what world class striker will finish the great passes from wilshire and future zelalem. —-
    —- would cesc want to feed giroud, or vP?

Hahaha Terry 😀

first allow me to comment on something from the previous article discussion between Gerry and TA , re- Suarez.

TA – High risk High Reward , Low risk low reward.

🙂

Hi all..
    Thanks guy for keeping my Yoona in this great family..
    AlexG.. Isabella is a nice name.. there was a very famous old song in Indonesia “Isabella”.. about a very beautiful girl.. hehe..

TA.. I think Eisfeld will be the man..
    Zelalem next..
    But for now.. I want Bernard badly.. hehe..
    Hope he will be a nice surprise that Wenger give us..

Bring this guy.. and keep all the rest.. then We will win some trophies.. haha..
    One Cazorla already gaves so much fun.. Two Cazorla (Bernard) will surely boost up the team.. hehe..

42. Dylan says:

TA, do you need me to write a match report? I will if you want. 🙂

thanks TA, nice one

fully agreed re- Ox, next season will be his year IF he manages to stay fit (no reason why he shouldn’t after Wenger used him very very sparingly and let him develop physically, it was a good strategy and hopefully it will pay dividends next season and for years to come).

the future does look bright indeed but with all this talent and potential world class talent at our disposal, we need a ready made world class player to drive them forward and give them that little something.

the comparison of RVP with Dimi B is a questionable one as RVP scored goals at important times and many times rescued man utd (from losing all 3 points and then being the difference), he was their driving force.. the same can not be said about berbatov… in fact they also had Tevez, Berbatov and Rooney at the same time… .

people will argue that solid defence wins you the league, i beg to differ and am of the opposite view, a fearsome and potent strike force/ forward line wins you matches, leagues and cups… (Suarez/Theo/Poldi/Giroud)

😉

i couldn’t watch the game, so i’m already looking forward to the match report if anyone is willing to write it later 😀 but one thing i noticed was the score line and Ryo taking the penalty so that’s well done to the skipper (Arteta) for letting Ryo take the penalty !

PS: past few days the site has been playing up for me, i post something and often get no data received e.t.c anyone else having trouble as well ?….

The higher the risk the flatter you land on your face, JB 😛

Dylan,

i like your match reports, they are very well balanced, structured and informative, so if you don’t mind writing that would be smashing and well appreciated as i like your vision and it’s very similar to Zelalem 😀

Dylan, you are a Dennis-send! 🙂

Yes please compadre!

47. Dylan says:

JB and TA, very well. I will get to work. 🙂

James 🙂

It is a wordpress thing I believe. Not much I can do about. If you are writing a bigger comment, make sure you copy the text first before you click the send button.

If Maureen goes back to mean lean defending and winning a huge number of game with 1-0 or 2-0, outscoring opponents will not be enough in the long run. We need a solid defence and productive attack.

My point re van Judas or just LULHOOFD is that other would probably have scored the goals. If not Berbatov then Rooney the Pea one…

excellent Dylan!

Henry, yes I feel the same about Eis Eis Baby! 🙂

i don’t mind falling flat on my face as believe you me, i have already been there and done that in the last 8 years 😉 we have to do things differently now given that we are in a position to do so and flex our muscles, not just for the sake of it but to get back to our winning ways and right up there once more.

i believe Suarez is that player to get us there and in the process redeem himself as well.

you’re more in favour of Rooney right, but if you go back to his starting years or the best years so to speak, he was appalling discipline and winding up wise for both club and country ..with time he managed to find a way , there is no reason why Suarez can’t do much much better than Rooney.

we need a world class forward/striker and not a saint for crying out loud, who wears his heart on his sleeve and never stops fighting for the good of the team, you can question his antics and behaviour but you can not question his intentions and the intentions are to finish on the winning side.

oh yes, they would have scored the goals but how many would have been match saving and match winning ones ? i wonder.

so we’re not in for Bernard as it’s being reported, Wenger has denied it ?

2nd bid for Cesc rejected by Barca (30 million)

Hiddink resigns (possibly on his way to Barca ?

53. Hello TA,fellow goons..

Lovely post TA..

I completely share in your sentiments..OX is going to have his breakthrough. his development has been different too that of young players of his potential i.e. Cesc and Jack..seeing how his prized assets struggled with injury i think Arsene decided to introduce OX slowly onto the world stage..he has not rushed him and has really worked with him on his all-round game evidenced by the position he played on the last day of the season..nothing fancy but was reliable on the ball..his defensive aspect of the game has really improved

He ALWAYS had the potential..the best football he played imo was that return match vs AC Milan..first time to play in that position and at the grandest of stages and he produced THAT performance.. he was always meant to cut it.

What delights me is that the British core are of an age where they will peak together therefore the responsibilities to deliver will be shared across the squad..the future is indeed bright and with the squad oozing experience all over the pitch, a couple of quality additions will really complement the squad but whoever comes in i hope this will be the year of THE OX!!!

007.. I think Wenger just don’t want any club disturbing his man.. hehe..
    And the more media blows the news.. the negotiation will be harder.. like what did happened to Higuan..

I still believe Bernard is on Wenger’s first list.. and as Wenger learned a lot from his mistake before.. including ‘Mata’ thing.. he won’t do that again with Bernard.. hehehe..

JB – good point about another approach, but let’s not forget our class in the process.

Cesc first by a country mile, and then Rooney or Suarez out of the three.

Great comment KG and thanks for the reminder of the Milan game – that was some performance by Oxie! 😛

Henrychan 😀

you never know with AW but one thing we do know is that Suarez is a nightmare to defend against and Wenger was candid about his admission and what our players thought about him… so if he’s rated this highly and if we have gone back with a 41 million offer including add ons today then this must make things very interesting.

bear in mind, LPC believe that no release clause exists as they merely have to inform the player and his reps of the bid…where as my opinion is such that it’s a release clause which enables the player to either accept or reject it by informing the club, this is why LPC are in a bit of a pickle as well and hence stressing it’s not a release clause and so on to discourage clubs (Arsenal to come in), i also believe if we’re serious about him then there has to be contact with his agent if not directly with Suarez himself before making a bid for him.

also worth noting that LPC want to sign another 1/2 players and will be needing the funds, so the sooner they get the money by selling Suarez the quicker they can get their targets.

no doubt negotiations will be harder but for that very reason we have Mr.Dick to conduct them 😉

fingers crossed re- The Cesc deal 😀

Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has written to Manchester United to make it clear that Cesc Fabregas is not for sale.

Reports in Spain claim the Premier League club’s second bid, understood to be around £30m plus add ons, has already been turned down.

“Fabregas is not for sale,” a club source said on Monday. “The president has been very clear with Manchester United on this.”

United manager David Moyes had earlier admitted that he may be forced to give up on Fabregas were the deal to drag on.

59. Dylan says:

Talked about the Fabregas to United rumours at my practice this morning. Most of my teammates (the ones who follow soccer) agreed its garbage and he’ll never go there.
    TA, the match report is in your inbox. 🙂

Dylan,

you’re super quick 😀

61. Dylan says:

Not really JB. Match reports are just quick to write. 😉 Just wait for my next post. It MIGHT be ready in 3-4 days. If I work very fast for very long periods of time everyday until then.

i’m excited and looking forward to your next post then !

nah, it’s worse than a bloody soap opera , keep higuain and stuff him up yours Perez 😀

we got apkom aahahahhahahaha

Wilson has it spot on i think.

😉

so the number 4 will go to Cesc and what number will Suarez be wearing is the question :O:

New Post New Post! 🙂

Dylan loves Zelalem hahaha! 🙂

Prepare yourself for a fine MR by Dylan. Enjoy!