My Take on the Suarez Fiasco

Arsene Wenger

By now you must all be aware of the saga regarding Liverpool, Arsenal and Luis Suarez, unless of course you live under a rock. I am not here to speculate on the likeliness of this transfer going through or even to analyse what he’d bring to the team. I am here to defend my beloved football club.

Arsenal and Wenger in particular have been receiving a lot of stick from the both the media and Liverpool as a whole with Brendan Rodgers even going as far as branding Arsene as ”classless”. First of all, let me examine what is considered wrong when pursuing a player, tapping up. For those who do not know, tapping up is when a club is chasing a player contracted to another club and makes it public either through the coach, players or any affiliate of that club. The most notorious culprits have always been the Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid.

In this case not only are Arsenal innocent of this, but it is Liverpool who publicized our bids despite the protests by Wenger. Let me remind you that Wenger hasn’t even referred to Suarez by name in any of his interviews so far. And then Brendan has the audacity to refer to him as classless. As far as the 40,000,001 pound bid is concerned, a team can bid whatever amount for a player. It is well within their rights simply because valuation of a player is almost purely a matter of opinion, unless there is a release clause in the contract. Which brings me to my next point.

I am of the opinion that everything Brendan and Liverpool are doing to paint Arsenal in a bad light are for the purpose of stopping this transfer. But the question here is this; who are the real villains in all this? Is it Arsenal, Liverpool or Suarez? In my opinion, the blame lies squarely on Liverpool and here’s why: The point of contention in all this is the presence (or lack thereof) the 40M pound clause that had been agreed upon between Liverpool and Suarez before he signed his deal. Suarez clarifies that before he signed the deal, he insisted on a clause that stated that if Liverpool do not qualify for the champions league in the 2012-13 season, they would allow him to go to a champions league team as long as that team offered above 40M. Liverpool are now insisting that that offer only obliges them to notify him of the bid.

What is clear here is that there was an agreement between the two that they’d sell him him for 40M to a champions league team if they didn’t qualify. I am actually pretty well versed in legal matters being that my father and brother are both lawyers, so I do know that the exact wording of a clause in any contract is vital. The idea here is that Liverpool agreed to these terms (be it verbally or in the clause) before Suarez signed it. This means that by reneging on it now, they broke the promise they made to Suarez. Like I said, the wording of the clause is vital BUT the fact remains that Suarez signed this contract knowing that these were the terms. Now on a legal standpoint it I can’t say much because I haven’t seen the clause. I also do not know how the law works there.

However, in Kenya, and as I am told in the USA, because Suarez signed the contract knowing that those were the terms, by refusing him this transfer Liverpool acted in bad faith. This means that Suarez could sue them and if he has evidence of the agreement (whether verbal or written) his contract with Liverpool would be nullified. On a moral standpoint, Liverpool conned Suarez into signing that contract if they knew they wouldn’t uphold their end of the bargain. The fact remains that all the conditions of the agreement have been met as LFC did not qualify for the CL, Arsenal are in the CL and Arsenal’s bid exceeds 40M pounds.

To conclude, it is easy to castigate Suarez based on his moral history but in this case I side with him completely, and not just because I am a Gooner. It is as if at your work place your boss promises you a pay rise if you meet a certain level of performance, and you work your socks off to achieve that. But when you do get there, he goes back on his word. If I was Suarez, I would have done the exact same thing. Even worse. And as for Liverpool, let Suarez go, or not, but they need to stop using Arsenal as a scapegoat for their misdeeds.

Written by: Marcus

168 Responses to My Take on the Suarez Fiasco

Hi guys,

Greetings from sunny Britanny (rained all day, though!).

Marcus, very classy post and putting the blame right where it belongs. Top stuff! 🙂

Marcus and Dylan, thanks for helping out with posts whilst I am on my holiday. Really appreciated and because of you the blog keeps going right now. 🙂

If any of the other regulars would like to contribute a post then don’t hesitate to email me: I will do my best to find a wifi connection and publish it.

I guess we are still to sign reinforcements?

Marcus, apologies for the layout of the post – WordPress is playing up right now. 😕

4. bod says:

Tapping up? No. Using Illegal information to try and use a release clause (which isn’t there by the way)? – too right he’s guilty – as guilty as sin! £40m + £1 – nuff said!

5. Dunc says:

So how did we know to bid £40,001?

Do you think perhaps they have been in contact with the player’s agent. Might that be construed as tapping up?

Arsenal forever!!!

6. Arsenal needs Suarez badly they should not think of anything more than bring him into the Emirate, we fans are desperately in need of him.

7. bod says:

And how about so-called agreements with Suarez – when did you get permission to negotiate?

8. Dood says:

How did arsenal know about this 40m clause if they weren’t speaking to suarez before asking Liverpool?

Also wenger’s ‘amicable’ comment was ultra passive aggressive.

One more thing… Did Rodgers actually say “classless”? People report that he did but it might be worth checking the facts…

9. Redspeaker says:

Ok I guess the massive amount of bets, that’s suddenly signalled Suarez to arsenal were merely coincidence, I’m sure your right no tapping up there,yeah sure, I don’t want to start hating arsenal but this is dodgy, why have you not addressed this in your article please arsenal boys I understand your point liverpool and arsenal fans have no beef, just the clubs sort it themselves

10. Roger Davies says:

Gods bones !
    How can any “hack” journo be so opinionated without knowing the precise terms of the contract ???
    Note that a few weeks ago Suarez made NO mention of the buy-out clause when he said he wanted out of England !!!!
    Be mindful, of course, that Arsenal are not quite a CL club until they get thru the qualifying stage…assuming they do !
    Nobody knows where Suarez will end up but, mark my words, if Arsenal don’t get him then there is every likelihood that Arsenal won’t qualify for the CL at the end of the new season !

11. Retsub says:

Marcus

I am hiring you as my lawyer. I wonder if Liverpool are suggesting we haven’t technically qualified yet? If its in the contract it’s a no brainer, if it was verbal it could get a little sticky.

I remember sometime ago, Gerrard was being courted by
    Liverpool and the rumour was that Gerrard was put off by a warning from The Liverpool Mafia.

Wouldnt want To bet on the outcome of this one

12. Nikki says:

Im a liverpool fan who cant wait to see the back of Suarez however what your saying is all speculation firstly like you said you are not a lawyer and have not seen the clause in his contract so how is it you can speak regarding this? You cant. Nobody knows what is in his contract other than Suarez Brenden and his agent. Secondly the only reason transfering Suarez was fetched up was because he couldn’t cope with the english media correct me if im wrong but im sure Arsenal FC is in engish football club but it didnt take much convincing with making him stay in england with the contract Arsenal are wanting to give him. the support this guy has received from the liverpool fans from biting diving and the rest of the pointless crap this guy does is pathetic he gets paid to play football not to eat other players.He left his previous club for the exact same reason, the media. I think the guy isnt worth the money he is paid and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Footballers are supposed to be role models. the bottom line is the sooner hes gone the better i think Sturridge and Aspas will do a much better job this season!!

13. Retsub says:

Just swatches Sky sports, Suarez says its in the contract

14. Fatai says:

May wenger act quickly before r madrit snacht suarez for his hand.

15. jt wunubo says:

I think liverpool are the problem which uruguay international is facing even while he was playin for them. but one thing for sue is he either come to Arsenal or he will find his ways out of the club for real. Or the management are not aware of the legal backin content in his contract.

16. Jon says:

So if everything was above board, how did Arsenal *know* about the clause unless there were discussions between Arsenal and the agent without permission from LFC?

17. Redspeaker says:

Firstly retsub your right if Suarez says it, it gotta be true as football fan, if you had a player you stuck by and then mugged you off, you wouldn’t be slightly annoyed I understand you want your team to be better, and Suarez would help, but last year when you where in this situation how did you feel and the fact is van persie did his best for you and had nothing to show for it, can you really say suarez did the same and i would bet all i have ever owned that at some point in the last 2 years you were slagging of suarez about something just like kosceilny , sorry if i spelt it wrong, so for me then to read an arsenal fan talking about it like this in his article is just silly, this is not about the fans this about an ungrateful striker and a very loyal football club just like yours we are not rubbish fans like the Mancs or chelski let’s not create friction between 2 very respectful teams I like arsenal with or without Suarez our games are always crackers

Some fair and balanced comments from Liverpool supporters, thanks. 🙂

I am sure Marcus will respond to your comments at some point today. But please realise, this is a Gooners blog and he is defending our reputation on this matter.

If there is a team after Arsenal I would like to do well, it is Liverpool. For me it is clear, Liverpool want to get rid of Suarez but either for a lot of money and/or abroad. Arsenal/Arsene would not have shown interest if this wasn’t the case, I am pretty sure of that. I am still in doubt whether we should go for him or not, and to be frank, I am a bit surprised Wenger is at least considering him at the moment. Great player, dodgy character and lots of risk involved here. Let’s hope it is all resolved quickly, one way or another, and we can all move on.

Cheers, TotalArsenal.

19. footyfan says:

The Suarez camp insist there was a “gentleman’s agreement” that if any Champions League club came in with an offer of more than £35million, he would be allowed to go irrespective of any clause in his contract.
    Liverpool, meanwhile, are certain that the notorious £40m clause in Suarez’s contract does not force them to sell.

So the Suarez camp thought there was an agreement that a 35 mill bid from a CL team would force a sale? Arsenal come in with a 35 mill bid.

Then they decide there is a clause that allows Suarez to move if any bid over 40 mill comes in and Arsenal offer 40 mill and a quid.

Wenger says –

“That is the story between Suarez and Liverpool and I don’t know what has been said, what has been promised and what has been written and that is only Suarez and Liverpool that can decide that.

Fuck me but I reckon Wenger and Arsenal know a lot more, or think they know a lot more of what is going on with Liverpool and Suarez, what are the rules these days concerning tapping up?

What I do know is that any decisions seem to be Liverpool’s to make and no amount of bluff and bullshit from Suarez is going to influence that.

20. Higgi says:

A bid of 40M and 1pound is more than questionable. It’s cute but its not clever because it suggests disclosure of a confidential agreement has taken place. I’m surprised this fact is not being challenged but there you go. You’re article relies heavily on believing one side of the story and dismissing the other. Quite funny really, when Suarez has a history of misdemeanors and has already taken one of his past employers to court to manufacture a move, yet you find his side of the story more believable. Well, it does suit your desired outcome of taking the player to Arsenal. And you’re very quick to take all of what you read in the press as gospel when this time of the year is full of rumour and gossip. An entire contract is not deemed null and void if one part of it is challenged and defeated so that needs to be corrected and its very common that a contract may include terms that make any verbal agreements worthless.
    What is obvious is that there is a disagreement between club and player regarding certain terms but to extend this to Liverpool using Arsenal as a scapegoat in the matter is just poor.

21. andy says:

Of course you tapped him up otherwise it was a very lucky guess, but everyone does that. The really odd thing here is that Arsenal fans are now happy to take the word of someone that the FA panel called an unreliable witness and Arsenal fans called all sorts of other stuff.

He is a thug and a racist but you are apparently happy to sign him anyway when last year you all to a man slaughtered him. It may be in his contract who knows. I do know you are hypocrites of the worst kind though.

22. Will Gaines says:

1. No proof of a verbal agreement has yet come to light. It may not exist at all.
    2. Arsenals bid is irrelevant if the existence of an agreement cannot be established.
    3. Arsenal are not yet a Champions League team, there is a qualifying round to navigate through first.

As of this moment none of the three criteria you mentioned said to be met, so its speculation on your part that is leading you to paint Liverpool as the bad guys. But I wouldn’t do that just yet, it could very well turn out that they are just looking out for their own interests, and the finger waving should be directed elsewhere,. Will you then hold your hands up and admit your error if that is found to be the case?

23. Redspeaker says:

And Nikki “he gets paid to play football not to eat other players”. That’s pure genius! And as for the biting thing yes it’s true he orchestrated a move from Ajax the same way again must be pure coincidence, yeah right, with no malice I say goodbye Suarez and like a cheating wife, I hope you never return to anfield again

24. Redspeaker says:

No i have to say wenger is honourable, one the greatset managers of all time in my opinion he isn’t doing anything untoward all his doing just like united did is pursuing talent thats his job, Brendan is obviously annoyed but he didn’t need to attack arsenal for trying to make a transfer as a liverpool fan I really hope he didn’t promise anything but if he did he was wrong, but no where near as wrong as Suarez, I really hope arsenal do well this season arsene and his players deserve it for providing quality top class football week in week out

25. boglin says:

Luis Suarez’ £40 mill clause had been mentioned in plenty of media outlets before Arsenal’s bid. Quite easy just to say they were testing what was thought of as common knowledge.

Cheers Redspeaker: a very balanced comment.

Having worked in Liverpool for a couple of years, I know how much the Liverpudlians appreciate good football, and I have never seen more respect for Arsene/Arsenal in any other part of the country.

I was at the FA cup game when Henry scored a late goal and getting an ovation from the Liverpool crowd at the end. That was class.

Let’s get the Suarez situation resolved as soon as possible and fight the Mancs and Chavs for the League! 🙂

27. Nikki says:

TotalArsenal i see the league tables future 1. Liverpool 2. Arsenal 3. Cardiff City 4. Crystal Palace haha

28. Fournier Michael says:

Well NOT having read the entire contract None of us can comment on the legality of Suarez’s or Liverpool FC’s claims. But I will comment on this as it relates to Arsenal’s dealings in the past as well as how players and their agents are acting in this day and age of football. First Players are getting HUGE financial compensation for playing a Sport a game that many of us play and get little or no compensation playing in local club leagues yet play anyway for the love of that game. Now granted the clubs make millions so of course a player playing for them (being that it is the players we as fans watch) should share in that profit and the bigger players (which are bigger draw for the club) should also get a larger share in return. BUT that is where it all gets out of control. Players sign multi-year deals that grant them a pay check EVEN if they suffer a injury and can not play. A long as they are still under contract they are a member of that team and should shut up and play for that team or even sit on the bench should that be what the manager sees fit to do with them. RVP never finished a complete season for Arsenal during his contract except his last season for Arsenal. Then with one year left on that contract he puts pressure on the club that honored their obligations to him to let him leave before the end of that contract. Rooney is paid I think more then any other player in the EPL at ManU (unless RVP is not matching his salary). Rooney at ManU is paid a salary that at the time was I think the highest in the EPL.

Should Rooney suffer a injury during that contract he is still paid right? so there is a huge risk for a club to sign a multiyear deal with a player. And is that deal now means nothing should that player then decide they want to move to another club (I do not care the reason) why would any club agree to these deals.

It is much worse for the smaller club who may sign a player that is Good but still not hit that big marque signing level yet and they sign that player for say 2M and a 70K a week salary on a 5 year deal. that is not much for a ManU or RM but to say a Stoke or Hull City that is a huge investment in a player.

If ManU or Arsenal or RM or Barca or City can just walk up to a player under contract and offer them 150K a week and meet what at the time was supposed to be a huge evaluation say 25M or 30M for a buy out clause and HAVE to let that player go even if that team is a League rival? You can see now why many clubs put a Astronomical release clause fee of something like 70M on a young player they sign for 5-10M. It is there because the stupid agents insist on these buyout clauses as players have no loyalty to the club that is signing them. THe club has put faith in them as a player enough to sign them and give them a multi year contract that could be a huge expense with no return should that player get a long term injury (Look at both Ramsey and Wilshere)

The other problem with these release clauses is that at first the amounts were set high expecting NO club to agree to pay them so they expected to retain the player they signed at least until the end of their contract. But enter the Oil money and billionaires willing to spend millions of their own money to get what ever player they want regardless who holds the contract on that player.

For me the only available players should be, if a player is a free agent off contract or has been put in the transfer market by their club. If not then guess what buddy you said you where a player for that club for X number of years so if the club says they still want you then you play for them end of story. I Hate the transfer season I would much rather see players be signed as young players work there way up earn wins for their club and THEN when their contract are up decide to leave or sign a new contract and would prefer many more players would sign with a club and retire from that club. You want CL football then play better and get your team in the CL. Garth Bale wants CL football and spurs want to keep him then Spurs should have held Arsenal from taking their spot. If RVP wants trophies and titles then Work with the team you at to WIN trophies and titles you do not leave the club that supported YOU through injury ridden season (season had he stayed fit could have been trophy season)

Suarez wants to leave Liverpool Arsenal want him so I say should Arsenal some how get this player we deserve it when Arsenal players decide to go to City or Barca or ManU. And Arsenal are left with a weakened team and these players come back to score against us and kill our chance at titles and trophies the very thing they claim to have left for. And they could have had with Arsenal had they just stayed and worked for them as a key player in the team. Instead then leave to go to Bacra and sit n the bench for as half the games (not due to injury mind you) and then claim they won something. They won SHIT except a medal for being on the team that won.

I can almost side with Rooney though and would give him great respect IF he agreed to a salary cut just to go to a team that HE will be a key player again. As I feel he wants out because HE wants to play not sit in the bench until RVP needs a rest or is injured. And because I Feel ManU deserve this after how they took RVP from Arsenal. But really the whole mess I could do without. I am old school I love the players that claim to be a “X” Player for life then actually stand by that claim as if they mean it Like Steven Gerrard for Liverpool or Alessandro Del Piero for Juva. I am sick of reading about player’s love for Arsenal even after then agreed to leave the club. I have great respect for Henry but we were in the CL final the season before with Barca then he leaves and signed with “THEM” sorry you losts more then a few points with me on that one. That is why Bergkamp and NOT Henry will always be my #1 greatest Arsenal player or the modern era.

29. Retsub says:

Red speaker
    Well said, nice to talk about this in a gentlemanly way. As you say we have been shafted on a number of occasions, so we know what it’s like.

Undoubtably Suarez is a very talented player, but he also carries a flawed gene. I guess it could backfire in our face.

As for tapping up, I am certain that the people doing the tapping up are the agents. No doubt if Suarez asks for a transfer, he will lose a lot of money.

Not nice for Arsenal or Liverpool fans, lets hope it’s resolved quickly either way

Nikki, if for the next twenty years it could alternate 1. Arsenal 2.Liverpool and 1.Liverpool and 2.Arsenal, would we not all sign up to that hahaha!

31. Nikki says:

think we could all keep with that i dont mind sharing 🙂

Right guys, I am changing the title to the writer’s original one, as I reckon this one is a tat too aggressive with hindsight. 😉

33. AFC says:

Marcus, top post. 🙂

This is what Suarez had to say in an interview:

“I want to move to play in the Champions League and there is a club offering me that opportunity.I have told the manager that I want to leave the club.

“I am being accused of showing a lack of loyalty but last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we did not qualify for the Champions League the following season then I would be allowed to go.

“I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish – now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.

“I have the club’s word and we have the written contract and we are happy to take this to the Premier League for them to decide the case but I do not want it to come to that.

“I don’t feel betrayed [by Liverpool] but the club promised me something a year ago just as I promised them that I would stay and try everything possible to get us into the Champions League.

“They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I’m not going to another club to hurt Liverpool.

“I’m 26. I need to be playing in the Champions League. I waited one year and no one can say that I did not give everything possible with my team-mates last season to get us there.

“It is not as if I am asking to move to a local rival. And I would not consider moving to a club outside the Champions League. I have made my desire to move known in private various times and now it feels like the time for me to make it public.

“I have to put my career first. People say Liverpool deserve more from me but I have scored 50 goals in less than 100 games and now they could double the money they paid for me.

“Liverpool will always be special for me: my daughter was born here. [Last summer] was the moment to show my loyalty to Liverpool and I did. [Liverpool] gave me my chance in England and stood up for me throughout my ban. I know I have made mistakes in my time here but I have apologised lots of times. This is not about that. This is about the club having agreed to something both verbally and in the contract which they are now not honouring.

“People may accuse me of showing a lack of loyalty but last season we told Liverpool there was interest from a top European club but they told me: ‘We’ve got a new coach and we’re going to push for the Champions League.’

“I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me: ‘Stay another season, and you have my word if we don’t make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave.’”

“I was asked a question: ‘Would I want to play for Madrid?’ It’s like anyone asked if they want to change jobs and move to a bigger company. Everyone aspires to the highest levels and all I did was give an honest answer: ‘Yes, I would.’ On the same day I gave that interview Pepe Reina said the same thing about Barcelona and nobody mentioned it. But if I do it then it means I am disrespecting Liverpool. It has always been the same: one rule for me and another for everyone else.

“I had just arrived in Uruguay where the press are very good to me because I am one of theirs,” he continues. “They asked me about the press in England. What am I supposed to say? Of course I don’t like the fact that my wife goes to the supermarket and there are photographers. But I realise that the press attention is the same wherever you go.

“My priority is Champions League football. This is about me doing what is right for my career at this moment in time.

“Right now the Premier League is the biggest and most important league. My record shows that I’m not the kind of player who wants to change clubs every season and I would have no problem playing in England for many more years. If we are just talking about the level of the football and the way the supporters are then it is an incredible league. Any player in the world at the moment would like to play here.

“I feel I have done enough to be playing in the Champions League at this stage of my career. Now there is an option for me to do that and I want very much to take it. I went a long time at Ajax without playing many games in the Champions League. I am ambitious, I want to be there.”

I was listening to talkSPORT all morning and they interviewed a sport’s lawyer. He said that a verbal agreement is as binding as a written agreement. The only problem is that in court it is harder to prove that the verbal agreement actually took place and everyone involved knew what was agreed.

I honestly believe that Liverpool gave Suarez their word that they would sell him to a CL club (as long as it is not United) if a minimum offer of £35 million came or at least consider doing business if they did not qualify for the CL. Whether this is was written on paper or was agreed verbally means nothing.

Our bid of £40 miilion and £1 shows we lack class, how? All we are trying to do is get a player for the cheapest price possible. I would have offered £40 million and one penny 😀

Suarez is now getting help from the PL guys and will hand in a transfer request by the end of the week if they will not sell him.

34. AFC says:

I would also add that Liverpool could show the press that section of the contract and prove to the media no such clause exists.

Right guys, family is hungry and BBQ is beckoning, so got to go.

Message to the regulars: please keep it all amicable as I know you can. 😉

AFC – fine comment. 🙂

36. Nikki says:

AFC i agree with you i personally dont want him at the club but this is a money game at the moment. we played much better the last couple of games with out him on the pitch. Good player wrong attitude. however on a transfer point of view i do like the idea of 30mil+walcott lol

37. Fournier Michael says:

Man sorry about all the typos it was a long post typed rather fast (and that darn auto correct always seems to try and guess what I was typing)

38. Highbury Harmony says:

Marcus, first of all thank you for sharing your thoughts on the current Suarez transfer and the perspective of what fans on our side may be seeing. However, I’d have to agree with both the Liverpool and Arsenal fans on here in saying that there’s no clear black and white answer to who’s guilty or innocent – it’s more of a moral grey where no club is really a villain, just an unfortunate situation where a player is unhappy with his current situation and is looking to move on (new club and CL footy).

You have to feel for Liverpool fans, because we went through the exact same situation last year with RVP. However, Liverpool have made some good signings this off-season and have already started the process of replacing Suarez imo. Diego Costa would be the final piece of the puzzle for them and hopefully they can get that deal done, as I like to see the EPL be as competitive as possible (also softens the blow of losing Suarez).

For us, it’s easy to approach the situation with positivity since we are receiving the better end this time around (getting the star player opposed to the other side of the table). So, I would ask for all Gooners to consider this when sharing their feelings about Liverpool and how their fans should or should not be reacting.

In terms of the actual bid and how AW knew the clause, such information is released all the time. How does any club find out about the release clause of a certain player? I don’t think Wenger is guilty of skirting around the regulations on Suarez’s contract, yet the media contorts both him and Liverpool to be “villains”.

bod PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 15:46

@

Using Illegal information ? when a player comes out and states his desire to Leave a certain mid table club, after giving his all, then does that come under the umbrella of “ILLEGAL INFORMATION” or is that just a players way of saying he want’s out ? be it RM, BARCA, BM or any other club ? to me that is more like a come get me plea – just take me away from a mid table team ?

40. andy says:

Interestingly he has tried the recourse to the football authorities before when he moved from Groningen to Ajax. They found against him and Ajax had to pay the asking price. When he moved to Liverpool there was some negotiation and Ajax got a fee they were happy with. Arsenal seem to want to do it on the cheap despite claiming they have loads of money.

Dood PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 15:50
    Also wenger’s ‘amicable’ comment was ultra passive aggressive.

@

erm, we actually bid 30 million plus adds on based on what we thought his “Actual value was ” , however, then came your people and started making points about £40 mills being the starting point.

do check your facts before making assumptions.

Rodgers may not have said it directly, however, he did instigate it.

42. AFC says:

Robbie Fowler must be dreaming. Walcott in a deal for Suarez. Good joke. Walcott is worth at least £25-30 million and is not for sale.

Redspeaker PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 15:50

@

if, Betting patterns were a way of getting transfers right then by now, Arsenal would have about 5 players at least, with the odds suggesting it being a done deal.

we are not here to talk about “Dodgy conspiracy theories” or suspicious betting patterns, we are here to discuss what both the CLUBS and player himself has done, not what the punters do outside .

if, you are suggesting that there might be foul play from the players side, then you need to say it, instead of holding a grudge against Arsenal.

thank you for the comment though, the bets were indeed, alarming to an extent as no one was expecting us making a move for Suarez… but if a player wants to come for better opportunities to a bigger club, then so be it.

44. Dylan says:

Great post Marcus! 🙂
    All Liverpool fans, Arsene Wenger would never tap up. The way we know this £40 mil and £1 number is likely his agent. His agent even said in the media that there was a clause. Wenger is trying to be quiet and classy through this and Rodgers is in the media trying to start a fight. This is semi-similar to the RvP transfer last year and in that case SAF and AW were both quiet and classy. Rodgers should take note of that before he embarrasses himself again.

Roger Davies PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 15:51
    Gods bones !

@

no, he may not have made mention of a buy out clause but he has made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that he wanted to leave a mid table club – whether that was for Real Madrid or Arsenal, is irrelevant as once a player states his desire out in the open, the cat is amongst the piegons..

yeah, just like we have failed to make it to the CL in the last 17 years, Suarez or no Suarez, we will still be in the Champions league come september, however, one thing is for sure, if Suarez leaves you then you might not be anywhere close to Everton next season and that itself, should worry me if i was a L’pool fan (Ouch)…..- There is EVERY LIKELIHOOD of that happening oh wait, no, that HAPPENED LAST SEASON, didn’t it ?

good on Suarez for coming out and stating his Desire and stating he wants Arsenal, can’t blame the guy for coming to a bigger club.

but let’s be realistic here, Arsenal don’t need Suarez to make it through the CL qualifiers, if you think we do , then you need to stick watching to Liverpool play in the Europa league, oh wait

Jon PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 16:06

@

erm, let’s start over.

we made a first bid of 30 million + add on’s.

we were told, IN THE OPEN and very PUBLICLY – Bid rejected, 40 million is the starting point.

we then went on to bid in excess of £40 million.

let’s make this clear , so we don’t end up repeating ourselves ” it was made public by liverpool”, Arsenal have always been tight lipped about it, until and after it was made public by you lot.

Redspeaker PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 16:07

@

that’s a fair comment,

Loyalty sadly is a diminishing (and almost non existent) commodity in football these days.

there is no friction between our clubs, however, it’s not nice when one manager is openly questioning Arsenal like that and even having wee digs here n there.

if, a player wants to leave, then it’s not the buying clubs fault ?

i would understand, if we were doing a Barca re- Cesc and along them lines, but we haven’t done that, hey, we haven’t even done what Mourinho is doing in regards to getting Rooney.

i can understand where you are coming from, but the point i’m trying to make here is that, Arsenal are not to be blamed here, the blame lies solely with Liverpool, Suarez and his reps.

Higgi PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 16:12

@

so let’s just cut through the chase and all that legal titter tatter,

Surez wants to leave a mid table club to a bigger club and like you clearly stated in your comment ” Suarez has a history”, so we agree on that one, Suarez has a history of moving from smaller clubs to bigger ones.

andy PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 16:13

@

and how do you know that for certain when you say ” of course, you tapped him up” , was it us tapping him up when started making noises about leaving Liverpool and stating his desire to leave for Real Madrid and such likes (an open come get me plea in my opinion to any bigger club ).

and no, it wasn’t a lucky guess, we were turned down with our first bid and were told to come back with bids over £40 million, which we did ?

ah, let’s not use FA as being the focal point of credibility here, you’re on very thin ice there when you use the FA to back up something and then in the same comment you use the word “Hypocrites”.

50. Fournier Michael says:

And in spite os all I said I do not even want Suarez at Arsenal at all as he is not what will make Arsenal a better team. Hell we had a 30 goal a season striker in RVP and we only finished 3rd. And the rest of the team is no better then it was with RVP and Cesc. And we did not win a trophy then. Bringing in Suarez to Liverpool did not get them into the CL so why Arsenal feel he is the man that can turn Arsenal a team that trailed Spurs and Chelsea most of last season until the run at the end when frankly Spurs blew it not that Arsenal Took it as we lost the head to head games against the teams we were fighting with for that spot. It is in Midfield and Defense that Arsenal need greater talent. Giroud, Walcott, Podolski can score enough to win games if our Midfield could improve. Both defensively and Attacking. Top DMs in the league have more assists and goals the Ramsey or Wilshere. (Yaya Toure not Yaya Sanogo is who we need) Frankly Cecs and Song offered more to Arsenal then Wilshere, Ramsey and Arteta combined do.
    Arsenal Need a player that is VERY strong defensively YET is also creative and can quickly turn defense into attack. not pick up the ball in midfield then dribble until they finally run into one too many defenders and lose it again. Or attempt a through ball that just goes out for a goal kick or in the hands of the keeper. Wilshere in spite of his talent was Horrible in the final 3rd and Carzola can be as amazing he is as disappointing depending on the game.

If there are 2 players I feel could have made a huge difference had Arsenal spent the money needed to succure they signature it is Yaya Toure and Michael Essien. (Essien way back when he signed for Chelsea not now) Arsenal could have actually signed ether of these 2 at one point but failed. And when you look Arsenal STILL need that type of player and Now also need to replace the quality we lost every where else due to selling our better players. Suarez is not the answer I see it this way he will score more goals at the expense of others in the squad scoring not adding his goals to what they would have already scored. Just like RVP did. And he will do nothing to prevent the stupid goals Arsenal concede early in games that make them have to come from behind (the Napoli game is a Example of that) or give up late like the Drogba goals in the Galatasaray game. Hay he may make the difference between a loss and a tie just as RVP did but even with him to win the league we HAVE to do something about the DM position.

Arsenal’s problems are creating in the final 3rd, the stupid DM duo and the Poor marking of our centerhalfs. And even with Suarez we will still have those problems Of course Drogba does make just about every Centerhalf in the game look poor at times but to win the league Arsenal MUST do something about the poor giveaways in midfield the dribbling in to dead ends. and just a failure to get the Quality balls forward quickly from midfield to expose defenses that play deep against us. AND Suarez will not fix that problem. and Unless we make more then 2-3 new signings we must hope for a Huge improvement from Wilshere and Ramsey as well as who ever is paying in front of the back 4. Spurs also signed a great Midfielder in Paulinho a player Wenger should have gone after instead of wasting time chasing and eventually not getting Higuain. a 22M bid and the promise of CL football back in June and Arsenal have both strengthened AND prevented league rival from strengthening their team. Much better money spent then chasing after Players we probably won’t get.

51. jgc says:

All

Well, it’s a bit all on… I’d just note that release clauses are the devils own, in support of Fournier Michael and some others… What they do is set the expectation a player may not see their contract out even to one year to go… Ie it makes all contracts really more like one year rolling from a club planning perspective.

IMO, if you don’t like the contract length, don’t sign. I would add that one could easily regulate a max contract length of 4-5 years, just to avoid (ahem) indentured servitude to 10 year or more contracts signed at 15 or 17 years of age.

In the end, an unhappy player will likely get their wish anyway! This puts player availability on the team, recalling that just because a sale is agreed the player doesn’t have to agree terms to extend. Or could even have some veto clause… Summers would get easier, Oilers would be slowed just a little, and it might all be a bit more fun to follow an actual team..

Players would, IMO, only be a little more static than now, and at contracts end could leave. And, just like now, entering that final year would see many teams sell to make some profit. Meanwhile some stability and peace…

Cheers — jgc

Will Gaines PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 16:13

@

1: very good point, an agreement is usually or mainly between 2 parties – Party A has come out and publicly stated the verbal agreement and understanding, – Party B has not denied it, in fact, remained silent on this verbal agreement and instead have quoted various figures and changed statements from time and time again e.g. Suarez not for sale, we will only entertain offers of over £40 million, Suarez value 50 million, Suarez for 55 million, oh no wait, if, bale is 100 million then Suarez is also 100 million – not once have i read anything come out of LFC, that denied the verbal agreement or the understanding that clause was inserted in his contract –

3: Arsenal’s bid is very relevant – note how the player wants to Leave Liverpool , full stop – whether it’s for Arsenal or any other club, that is irrelevant…we are in for a striker and have made a bid, which we believe has a good chance of landing us a striker – the whole saga between liverpool and suarez only gives us more encouragement..and for that we’re rightfully waiting until it becomes more clear….we are on the fence so to speak after doing what we were told to do (make a bid over £40 million by Liverpool themselves).

5: let’s not kid ourselves, what are the odds of us not being in the champions league round when it all kicks off in september ? i can tell you right now, only a fool would write us off – besides be that as it may, Suarez knows it and good on him for coming out now instead of waiting until the qualifiers were done and dusted – it just shows that he is far more willing to come to Arsenal then to stay at liverpool without European football.

and no, it’s not speculation, once Rodgers came out with his press conference and said this “Rodgers said: “I was surprised at the bid. I always associated them as a club with class. There may be a game there, but we will just move on and do our own work.”

53. jgc says:

Oh

And lead us also not to forget agents who always seem to get good chunks in these deals. More than boringly keeping Striker X at FC Y another year. Perhaps changes that motivated them less that way would also help…

And, yes, I’m a liberal economics type, but all markets work best or need so e form of regulation. Good regulation creates market incentives to create the overall outcome desired.

That said, papers, the FA brand and others all make money or gain value from this frenzy. One can see why AW hates it so much…

Cheers — jgc

Redspeaker PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 16:20

@

cheers mate, that’s the spirit 🙂

no one player is ever bigger than a club, we experienced that with RVP last season and guess what ? we finished on a higher points tally after he had left….

no reason, why you guys can’t do well without Suarez, you have the quality to compete and Rodgers as a manager is trying to build something special – he might be able to achieve it faster without any distractions (Suarez).

thank you for coming here and posting !

55. jgc says:

And remind me not to annoy JB!!! 🙂

andy PERMALINK
    August 7, 2013 17:05

@

on the cheap ? since when has £40 million been cheap ?

just because you paid over the odds for Andy. C at 35 million, then that doesn’t mean, Arsenal will pay 3 times the price of any player.

we’re not claiming to have loads of money, WE JUST have more money than most clubs in England and Europe – that’s a fact…whether we choose to use that on the players our club and manager think are worth it, remains to be seen though – that’s all.

ahahahahaha @ JGC

you’re safe mate, no worries

only a bit of “friendly banter”, nothing more

i’m cool !

58. John Gideon says:

Do you know whether there is a “whole agreement clause” in the contract? There usually is and, if so, it doesn’t matter what is said outside of the contract, if it’s not written in the contract it doesn’t matter. It’s also curious that the clause reportedly only requires Liverpool to inform the player and act in good faith. Presumably if it was intended to bind Liverpool in the event of a Champions League club offering more than £40m, it would have said that explicitly. Surely acting in good faith does not preclude the freedom to set a price at which you are prepared to sell and to choose to whom you wish to sell a player. Suarez was happy enough to sign the much improved contract 12 months ago and I doubt very much that he did it without having English lawyers review and advise him and his agent before he committed.

As for acting in bad faith Suarez has gone from ” I am being persecuted in England, so I want to leave” to ” I want to play Champions League Football” in the space of two months but he asks people to sympathise with and believe his interpretation of events 12 months ago. I wonder what his explanation would be if Monaco waved their cheque book.

Interestingly most contracts are confidential to both parties, yet it is curious that Arsenal’s offer was £1 over the apparent activation clause and given their position on the deal it seems unlikely that Liverpool would have informed Arsenal about the precise value of the clause.

59. Marcus says:

Ta,
    Thanks and no worries..

60. Marcus says:

bod,
    tapping up according to FIFA and wikipedia is, ”A milder form of “tapping up” involves a manager’s letting his admiration for a player at another club become known, perhaps by hinting at his interest while working as a pundit during the broadcast of a game in which the player is taking part, “he’s the sort of player any manager would be very keen to sign”, or by lavishing praise in programme notes when the two teams meet. There are also the “source close to the manager”-type newspaper rumours which in many case originate within the club and are intended to flag an interest while retaining plausible deniability against charges of tapping up.”

61. Marcus says:

Dunc,
    No. If you look at my comment above, I’ve explained to Bod the real meaning of tapping up..

62. Marcus says:

Dood,
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/04/luis-suarez-arsenal-liverpool-rodgers –> Check his comments here.

He says he always thought Arsenal are a team of class, but there is a wee bit of game here. Surely I don’t have to dissect that statement for you, do I?

63. Marcus says:

Red speaker and Roger Davies,
    Firstly I mean no disrespect to the KOP.
    Secondly Roger, as I have intimated in my post, I haven’t seen the clause. However, when LFC were asked about it, they explained that THE CLAUSE only required them to inform him of the bid. From that statement its is clear that there was some sort of agreement between the two parties and based on Suarez statements, those (in my post) were the terms..
    Thirdly Roger, thanks for promoting me to a journo..

64. Marcus says:

Retsub,
    hahahaha I’m actually a marketer by profession but because I run my own firm (plus like I said, my father and brother are lawyers) I know a bit about contract law.

65. Red Arse says:

Good Post, Marcus, and I am very much in agreement with you.

I heard Gordon Taylor of the PFA on the radio today and he came out with a creepy, half hearted comment which was neither fish nor fowl.

He has effectively admitted that there is a clause, as Suarez insisted, but did not make it clear whether it was written or verbal. ( the inference was that it was indeed written).

Now that begs the question as to why Gabby Rodgers lied, and why?

Taylor said that the clause was not totally clear and both parties were able to argue one way or the other. (Sitting on the fence and ass splinters comes to mind).

His solution? Both parties sitting down and coming to a compromise.

Now how will they do that? One wants to go — the other does not want him to! Yep a lot of room for compromise there then.

Having denied the existence of such a clause, Liverpool’s management are looking like porky pie (lie) tellers.

66. Glic says:

That was a great read, thank you Marcus.

I see a few bloggers being nice to each other saying they like each others clubs !, me…….I f**king detest all the other teams, even the ones I have a soft spot for ( West Ham and Plymouth ) !. They all want to beat us , so f**k them !. Bindippers !, would you trust one ?. We had one come in our house to play with my Grand daughter, straightaway he made a bee-line for the Advent calendar and in true Scouse tradition, instead of opening the front door of the calendar, he broke in the back door and nicked the chocolate !. hahaha

I used to like Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half Century when he was at Swansea, but since he went to Scousepool, the perma tanned classless git has become a twat !.

Suarez wants to leave and we want to buy, end off !.

Hope that was amicable enough for you Totes !. ( I thought my crack about them on the previous post deserved an award ! ) hahaha

67. Marcus says:

Let me explain something again. Tapping up isn’t what bod says it is and you can look that up. Secondly, the premier league rules state that a club can enquire about a players availability from:
    a) The club and
    b) The players camp.

During which they are entitled to information such as the clubs stance and terms (if any) on the sale of the player AND any clauses that might affect said transfer. In fact it is ILLEGAL for a club to hide any release clauses from any club asking about the player. So get your facts right.

68. Marcus says:

AFC,
    Well said.

69. Marcus says:

HH,
    Great to hear from you mate. Been a while..

70. Glic says:

Marcus
    I made a comment to my neighbour that I thought she had a nice pair of Knockers !. Could that be construed as tapping up ?. Please answer quickly as her Husband has been chasing me for 5 miles now !.

71. Marcus says:

Dylan,
    Cheers mate.

72. Red Arse says:

Did she open the door , Glic?

BTW leave that poor Terry alone always causing him problems like you do!.

73. Marcus says:

Glic,
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha yes. That’s tapping up..

74. Marcus says:

RA,
    Cheers mate..

75. Red Arse says:

Marcus,

Leaving aside the legal definition, ‘tapping up’ has always happened and always will.

How can anyone prove or disprove it. Well apart from Cole sitting on Maureenhio’s lap being fed sweet nothings in a hotel restaurant, complete with agents, directors the lot!
    Now that may be proof! 😉

RA,

the marriage must end in divorce – whether Liverpool like or not

doesn’t seem to be a point of return or compromise on this one, very unlikely.

they are just messing him about and making sure he doesn’t get a sniff at the CL qualifiers,

my guess is that, they want the CL qualifiers to be played first and IF, this is a big IF, Arsenal fail to qualify then they turn around and say, yeah, they didn’t qualify, may as well stay with us now and it’s egg on your face.

and if, this happens to be the case (likely) then Rodgers and co are the ones lacking any class…

i just feel that they are holding Suarez to ransom and what Suarez is doing is no different but at the same time, no worse – fully deserve each other.

77. Glic says:

Thanks AFC, some nice stuff there !. 😆

Hi Redders 🙂
    Glad to hear you`re being pricked less nowadays !. ( shut up, I`m talking about a hyperdermic needle ! ) 🙂
    Best wishes to you buddy for a easier future .

Capoue to Spuds – seems like deal done.

here to all you Liverpool fans out there , sums it up rather nicely…

80. Highbury Harmony says:

JB, kind of makes you wonder wtf the Spuds are doing at DM: Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro, Huddlestone, Parker and now Capoue…

they will let Huddlestone, parker – go.

Capoue replacement for huddlestone i reckon

parker on his way to WHU i feel.

82. Glic says:

Spuds splashing the cash again ! 👿

I fully understand the intricacies of a deal involving Suarez and us could be down to a two legged affair this month, but come on, surely we are after more than one Quality player and don’t have wait for the outcome of the qualifying game !. Time to see how long before the season starts !.

Tick, tock, tick, tock………………………………………………………………………………..

83. Glic says:

HH
    Sounds like they`re getting ready to park the bus at the Emirates !.

on a different note @ OZ

you should consider yourself lucky mate, the weather came to the rescue otherwise we would have made it 3-0 😀 thank the weather for saving you the whitewash (note , how i predicted a 4-0 with the weather saving you the blushes in one of the tests, ha ha

and what’s all this about cheating and using silicone and what not, sour grapes or bad losers :O: channel 9 makes me laugh.

leaving the banter aside, it’s disappointing to see all this come out after you’ve lost yet another Ashes 🙂

85. AFC says:

God, it is taking AW long to sign players. Cesar seems out of our reach now. Apparently we will offer £20 million for Gundogan.

Maybe Wenger will surprise us. He will go and get Suarez, L.Bender and Gundogan (for £25 million each) and then take Rooney form Chelsea weakening United and Chelsea.

😀

86. AFC says:

* from

87. AFC says:

HH, I do not know if you have heard what is going down with Anzhi. They have sacked their new manager after 16 days and now are looking to cut their budget by 72%. All the big names exports such as Samba, Eto, Lucina will be sold. We might be able to get Lucina for around £16 million.

Do you know any other quality players from Anzhi who we would be able to get for a decent price other than Lucina?

88. Dylan says:

Not worried about Capoue to Spuds. They’ll have too many DMs to play at once anyway, and the attacking portion of their midfield will still suck.

89. AFC says:

Sorry, they are looking to cut their budget by 75%.

90. Dylan says:

AFC, only other big name player there is Willian. We should see how cheap we could get him or Lucina Traore.

91. AFC says:

Dylan, do you know if Willian or Lucina are partly owned by third parties?

Gerry, (from previous article).

Fellaini to UTD shouldn’t be seen as them not being in the market for Cesc or another creative MF….i always thought, they will go for Fellaini but their priority is a play maker and then they will make their move for Fellaini, allowing the release clause to expire which i think happens on the 14th of August and not on the 31st of July,

i also assumed that we were sort of playing the waiting game on that one as well, so we be in a position to negotiate a lower transfer fee with everton.

it’s a chain of events, i don’t think many clubs have REAL money or due to FFP regulations, in order to complete purchases and are waiting for one of their own big sales to happen before making a move for their targets ? i.e.

Luiz to Barca – 30-35 million = Rooney to Chelsea = Fellaini to Mancs = Cesc to Arsenal (money back to barca for the Luiz investment ).

whoppsie

93. Dylan says:

AFC, I don’t think Willian is. Lucina could be, but I have no idea.

94. AFC says:

Where’s JM when you need him? 😀

Fournier Michael ,

we may have had a 30 goal striker last year but what we didn’t have was , enough creators or contributors from MF or the wings bar Theo.

we may have had Cesc before that as our creator and focal point, but we didn’t have a decent striker playing on a consistent basis i.e… injuries e..tc e.t.c

conclusion : Squad depth is essential and Suarez is the missing link that will enable us to take the step in the right direction in this current team and squad – we will have the right balance both in MF and wings and up front because of him – fair to say he would bring placid fluidity to our setup up front, which we’re clearly lacking and so desperately craving.

so i take, no more scouse fans going to be making an appearance for the night ? roll on Suarez in an Arsenal shirt, i reckon they be plenty more visiting us then 😀

goes and sharpens the knives in anticipation ahahahahahahahahahha

97. ProudGooner says:

Brenda Rodgers is the one that is classless, he has clearly lied to Suarez and broken a promise to him and as so Suarez gas publicly called him out on this.
    Also the club owner mad that crackpot comment about what are there smoking at the Emirites , when Arsenal made a very fair bid. His comments were just disrespectful and weird really.
    Also Brenda comments on Suarez moving to Arsenal being a side step.. ???? Brenda sounds like he has lost it too, i mean a mid-table club saying that about a 16 year CL run and Premier league winning club none of which the fools have done. Also Brenda worships Wenger he is in awe of him, the difference in managers is miles apart lol, defo not a side step. JB comments are all right Liverpool fans are clearly upset so i can forgive threre silly comments i would be too if my club became a mid-table club and never won the PL.

98. ProudGooner says:

I was hoping for some JB i think you single handedly beat them all away lol

ha ha @ PG

don’t worry, they will all be back for more and in more numbers, when and if, Suarez becomes a gooner !

those were sly comments by Rodgers and even their Owner – we are smoking CL football from the last 17 years – whilst you were too busy smoking Andy.C for 35 mills.

100. AFC says:

JB, they were also smoking Henderson, Allen and Downing. 😉

101. ProudGooner says:

ha ha ha ha ha you love it. dont forget that cracking bit of business they did with Robbie Keane,

Marcus – Great post, and lots of replies.

For once I’ll be brief, partly because it has all been said, and most of it is a distraction from the reality of it all.

Taping up – Everybody knows agents puts the word out, either to other agents or contacts at various clubs. The first we knew of it was the betting in Barcelona. It is no coincidence that the brother of long time manager of Barca, and Saurez’s agent will have friends there, so if he got a positive interest from Arsenal, he might just give them the thumbs up?

Guilty of ‘insider trading’ perhaps, but we did not instigate it. When released to the press, Saurez laughed at the Chelsea interest(understandably?), but was interested in Arsenal’s interest.
    Thus the saga began …

Where it goes from here is entirely down to Liverpool, as Saurez has put his case in the public eye. Having tried all the angles they could to persuade him to stay, they ought come to some agreement, or risk it going to a public/legal examination of the contract, which is almost certain to embarrass Liverpool and their manager even more?

What they cannot get around is that a clause was put in the contract, and if Brendan Rodgers is prepared to swear on oath that he made no such verbal ‘agreement’, in that the reason for the clause was created because of their failure to get into the CL the previous season, then I for one would be very surprised if he did.

Procrastination will do Liverpool no good with the end of the TW in sight. Settle it soon, if only through gritted teeth?

103. ProudGooner says:

Even the Pepa Reina saga , what was all that about, i dont know about smoking stuff at Anfield i think they have started injecting

104. AFC says:

PG, Reina did not even know he had be loaned to Napoli. I surprised he accepted it. I think it was something to do with his high wages. I would have refused to leave and left on my own terms.

105. ProudGooner says:

Gerry,
    this is my take on the transfer clause, they worded it that an offer of 40m would release him but cleacerly wrote in the contract that it only means he had to be imformed of a 40m + offer. So Suarez is right but that is why Liverpool are so confident that the clause is tight. They sticthed him up with the wording. That is only my Guess but that is what i think is right. But they forgot who they were dealing with and Suarez will not lay down, he will fight it. This will only make his move very very likely he is off defo i think.

106. ProudGooner says:

AFC,
    You are totally right and even funnier they have now got a worse goal keeper, they should have kept him, again our gain there lose. they really are pretty bad at transfers . Robbie Keane buy him for 25m sell him back to spurs 4 months later for 12m lol

107. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I hadn’t heard about that from Anzhi just yet! Poor Samba, left to QPR who then got relegated, got sold back to Anzhi and they are now looking to cut costs hahaha! Sad to think we were once interested in him too…however at his asking price (approx. 8-10 mil and his wages approx. 60k/week), he’s not worth it.

Other players I might be interested in at Anzhi are maybe Gabulov (GK), one of Denisov (DM), Zhirkov (DM) or Diarra (DM/RB), Willian (CAM) and of course Traore (ST). I’d particularly be interested in one of the DMs as a depth option and Willian. Willian was particularly impressive for Shaktar in the CL.

108. Highbury Harmony says:

Willian can also play LW.

109. Highbury Harmony says:

110. ProudGooner says:

Rodgers also spoke to him promising that if there did not get Cl this season then he would personally make sure he can move on. After he has lied to him and his stance in the media , them 2 working together will be impossible .
    Suarez has reveled all and there is no where to go but sell him to us now. The sooner they do this the better for them moral wise and they can use the money on another player we have had to do it.

111. ProudGooner says:

HH,
    Thanks for that video enjoyed that, he looks like the perfect replacement for Gervinho. What is his position?

112. Highbury Harmony says:

You’re welcome PG :D.

He can play anywhere along the front 3 (LW, CAM, RW). Best suited to the left where he can cut in and shoot with his right. Imagine Gervinho but more direct, faster, less tunnel vision, more aggressive, more skilled and more confident.

113. Highbury Harmony says:

Everyone enjoying my new gravatar? 😈

114. Dylan says:

Thanks for the video HH. Willian could be an excellent Gerv replacement. And your avatar just popped up. Cheeky. And maybe a little premature. I’d usually say “at this point I expect it to be a done deal”, but I said that about Higuain so I won’t say it again. 😉

115. Highbury Harmony says:

You’re welcome Dylan, it’s merely a rouse to wind people up hahaha! And yes, now that Anzhi are reportedly in financial trouble and looking to cut wages, I would love to bring Willian in.

116. ProudGooner says:

He sounds and looks like just the kind of player we need , the amount of first team players that have left i think we need quite a few players now.

117. Highbury Harmony says:

Attacking options of Suarez, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud, Willian, Podolski, Wilshere, Rosicky and Oxlade-Chamberlain would be mind blowing.

118. ProudGooner says:

hope fully Sanogo will be good too and a couple of youngters , yeah that is a title challenging attacking side.

119. Elmo says:

So what do you say now that the PFA have confirmed Liverpool have been correct all along with their interpretation of the contract.

120. AFC says:

HH, I would like JM to come and tell whether any of these players are partly own by third parties.

I would take Willian and Lucina and maybe give Giroud to Napoli if they offer good money for him.

121. AFC says:

And I would send Sanogo out on loan. I know Gerry will hate me for saying to get rid of Giroud but for me those players have the potential to be better than Giroud.

no, AFC

all those players may have the potential to be better than Giroud but they also, fail to give us a plan B, which Giroud offers.

Giroud deserves his place in this team, be it starting or on the bench – we can’t afford to let him go.

123. Dylan says:

AFC, Giroud has earned his spot here. At least on the bench.

124. AFC says:

JB, for me Lucina also offers a plan b considering he is 6 foot 8 (I think).

Dylan and JB, you guys are right. In that case I would just send Sanogo out on loan to an EPL team and then bring in Lucina.

125. Highbury Harmony says:

Hahaha AFC, I would have to agree with JB and Dylan. Whether it be as a starter or squad player, Giroud deserves to be with us. He loves Arsenal and always gives his all when he’s on the pitch. So long as we get a SQ striker like Suarez, I have no issue with Giroud – perfect plan B and can be a great option to capitalize on late in games when we need a goal from a set piece.

126. AFC says:

So our attacking options could look like this:

ST- Suarez, Giroud and Lucina
    LW- Santi, Podolski
    RW- Walcott, Ox
    CAM- Willian, Rosicky

127. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, I don’t think we’d need Suarez AND Lucina. Podolski and Walcott can both fill in at striker in case of injury or suspension and Jack can also play CAM. I reckon if we signed two attackers, we’d have more than enough options and quality up front.

128. AFC says:

HH, JB and Dylan have already slapped me back into reality! 😀

129. AFC says:

HH, if Lucina is cheap enough I would still take him. 😀

So you would want Willian and Saurez?

130. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, even if Lucina is cheap enough, I reckon we could use those funds for a DM instead.

A day ago, I wouldn’t have even given the possibility of getting Willian a thought, but after reading about Anzhi looking to cut costs, I’d definitely take him. He created problems for Chelsea, Dortmund and Juventus and looked to be a dangerous player.

To answer your question, yes I would love to have Willian and Suarez if at all possible. Suarez is still priority #1 for me, then a DM. Willian would just be a bonus and would make sense because he may come at a discount and AW loves a bargain.

131. Dylan says:

AFC, I would happily take Willian and Suarez. I actually wouldn’t want Lucina due to all that AFCON nonsense mid season.

132. AFC says:

Dylan, the AFCON point is a verty good point, so it might not be wise to sign Lucina.

HH and Dylan, I am not sure if Willian is partly owned by a third party. I think he is. We need need to wait for JM to tell us if he is or not.

133. AFC says:

Anzhi have said that they will not be selling their players on the cheap but will be selling them for their value. Surely Willian would cost us around £20-25 million?

134. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, my guess would be that Willian is owned by third party ownership, being from Brazil and all. I would like to hear from JM about that though!

135. AFC says:

Dylan, that means that we could end up paying £40-45 million on him. If he is partly owned by a third party then I cannot see the deal happening.

136. AFC says:

Reports are now linking Chelsea to Eto’o.

The PFA have said that the clause in Suarez’s contract does not require Liverpool to sell him. Sources are now saying we will bid £51 million for Suarez.

137. Highbury Harmony says:

AFC, you sure it won’t be £50,000,001?

138. AFC says:

Dylan, that would be funny. Or £50 million and one penny. That would beat the British transfer record by a whole penny. 😀

139. Highbury Harmony says:

I wonder why I keep getting referred to as Dylan…AFC, are you suffering from Alzheimer’s like our poor, old friend VCC ;)?

ahahahhahahahahahahahahhaa @ blonde moment right there

to be honest, i also thought it was Dylan and not HH – nice avatar by the way 😉

141. AFC says:

HH, your avatar led me to believe you were Dylan. Sorry, about that. 🙂

142. Dylan says:

HH, our avatars are too similar. 😉 The difference is, my avatar doesn’t bite people. 😉

17HT this one for you, amigo…

Cesc – zooming in time i have been told, expect some developments (nitty gritty time again)

144. Dylan says:

JB, WHAT?!?!?! Cesc returning? This summer? Could it hinge on us getting Suarez? To show him we’re serious?

make of it what you want, Dylan

let us wait and see.

while you’re at it, it NEVER hinged on us getting Suarez or anyone else.

all i’m saying is – expect some developments 😉

146. Admir says:

I had to find this response to TA’s questions from 12th June and I’m a bit worried that my jinx will turn out to be a real prediction. 😦

“I am a bit nervous with all reports that suggest Arsene Wenger is about to make same mistakes all over again. If he is really reluctant to meet release clause fee for Fellaini, the Belgian ends up with Mata in Chelsea and we end 2013-14 without silverware and watching Chavs’ ugly behind again, Wenger shouldn’t get a new contract but a decent hand-shake and a statue for what he has done for Arsenal during his reign.

Let me answer to questions TA asked:

1) Yaya Sanogo already signed so we have a number of strikers needed. Giroud, Podolski and Walcott want to play as central forwards so adding another central forward may affect our squad harmony, not to mention self-confidence of Giroud and Podolski. Given that Diaby will be ready to make a come-back maybe even before Christmas, we won’t sign any new midfielders. After all, Frimpong returned from loan and apparently signed a new contract, Coquelin already stated he wants more playing time so I guess that’s it. Wilshere, Cazorla and Rosicky will compete for the hole, with possible introduction of The Ox and promotion of Eisfeld as I see glimpses of Rosicky in him. Fabianski will sign a new contract so no new goalkeepers are needed. Central defenders – if Djourou leaves, Sagna will be used as central defender. Wenger said that he always knew Bac will end as central defender.

2) Bendtner and Djourou.

3) We won’t spend at all while Djourou and Bendtner will earn us some cash.

4) What we spent on training compensation for Sanogo.

5) Hopefully won’t before we see what kind of result he’s going to make this season. We should start negotiations with him in the end of February, after Capital One Cup Final.”

147. JM says:

@AFC August 7, 2013 20:07 & August 7, 2013 21:50 & August 7, 2013 22:22
    @Highbury Harmony August 7, 2013 22:35

Anzhi had previously paid, £30.8 Million (or €35 Million) for the ownership of Willian Borges da Silva(Willian) who plays LW/AM/RW. There was no mention of any third party involvement.

Willian’s agency is Fairplay Sports Group which was originated in Lima, Peru. (Cal. Ricardo Street Corner # 667) Peru agent: Jose Moreno Quijandria. They are also located in Europe, where their agent, Akcan Ninmar, is in Germany (Duvenstrasse 25 Monchengladbach 41199).

My personal take would be a starting bid of somewhere £20++ Million for the player, going to as high as £30 Million. (they should be other buyers going in for him as well)

148. JM says:

The clock ticks – on our important CL play-off.

Play-off Draw date: 9 August 2013

*League Route (One Seeded and One Unseeded teams face each other):

Seeded teams: Arsenal, AC Milan, Schalke 04, Lyon, Zenit St. Petersburg
    Unseeded teams: Real Sociedad, Pacos de Ferreira(Portugal), Fenerbahce, PSV Eindhoven, Metalist Kharkiv(Ukraine)

Arsenal’s would-be play-off opponents: Real Sociedad, Pacos de Ferreira, Fenerbahce, PSV Eindhoven, Metalist Kharkiv

*The above is the League Route for play-offs, there is another Champions Route for play-offs (involving champions of lower leagues around Europe).

Play-off Registration dateline for players (max. 25 players), List A:
    12 August 2013 (24.00 CET)
    ** Club may register a maximum of one new eligible player after the above-mentioned deadline, provided the quota of locally trained players is respected and List A does not exceed max. 25 players. (whereby 1 registered player will have to be removed from original list)

1st leg: 20–21 August 2013
    2nd leg: 27–28 August 2013

Transfer window closes on 1 September 2013.

Registration dateline for all further matches from the first match in the group stage up to and including the final:
    2 September 2013 (24.00 CET)

149. Dylan says:

JM, so that means we can submit our squad on the 12th and still add Suarez as our one player after that, and he can still play in the qualifiers?

150. Highbury Harmony says:

Cheers JM :), thanks for clearing up Willian’s ownership/agent situation. I honestly can’t see AW bidding £20 mil regardless though, especially on another attacking player and after all the cash we’ll be exhausting to sign Suarez.

151. Dylan says:

I think I understand Wenger’s point if view on this summer. Wenger is focusing on Suarez because major strikers win individual games. And those individual games win cups (FA Cup and Capital One Cup). After winning one (or both) cups we will be infinitely more attractive because we won’t be in a trophy drought. Then the following summer could be composed of big signings to win the league/CL. Just what I think could be going through Wenger’s head (even though that’s not necessarily the most attractive option, it makes sense).

152. JM says:

@Dylan August 8, 2013 03:10

We could add Suarez after 12 August 2013 if the conditions meet. It is a risky bit of business as that would also mean NO OTHER senior players that were commented by us (e.g. Fellaini, Lars & Sven Bender, Gustavo, Julio Cesar, Ashley Williams, Luiz Gustavo, Jesus Gamez, Wayne Rooney, Clement Grenier etc) can be registered on deadline date for the qualifiers.

Roll-call:

List A: (Max 25)

Locally trained (Min 8), comprising of Club and Association trained players
    {Between the age of 15 (or the start of the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which he turns 21}:

Club trained:
    GK: Szczesny
    DF: Gibbs
    MF: Frimpong, Wilshere
    FW: Walcott

Association trained (Max 4):
    DF: Jenkinson
    MF: Ramsey

Others (Max 17):
    GK: Fabianski
    DF: Mertesacker, Vermaelen (injured, may not be registered for this round), Koscielny, Monreal, Sagna
    MF: Arteta, Diaby (injured, may not be registered for this round), Rosicky, Cazorla
    FW: Podolski, Giroud

List B:

1st team Players: Miyaichi, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sanogo

Let us hope the clowns at Arsenal FC (senior management team, manager and negotiators) do not make a mess of situations.

153. Highbury Harmony says:

Agreed Dylan, it’s not always about purchasing as many top players as possible either. There’s a transition period and bedding new players into a squad takes time. Buying too many at once is basically taking one step forward in terms of quality but two steps back in terms of chemistry, morale and immediate results.

Integrating Suarez should likely mean more wins in general. If his signing, plus a couple other reinforcements, can bring us a cup, to the quarter finals in the CL and a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the league, I think it would be a hugely successful season. After that, we could re-evaluate and see which positions are in need of further top talent and buy accordingly.

That way, players like Santi, Suarez, Koscielny, Jack, Ox etc. will already be integrated into the SQ core of this team and we can build from there. AW was never afforded this opportunity in prior seasons and it’s a process that will take some time. However, it’s not saying that buying Suarez won’t breed some immediate results too :).

154. Terry says:

Hi All
    Another refugee from the sadly demised Arsenal FC Blog. I think its pointless to speculate what might or might not be in the contract. I am more interested to hear how people feel about the possibility of Suarez becoming a Gooner. I must say I have mixed feelings. The guy is a total prick but one hell of a player. I guess I will have to wait and see and if he starts banging in goals and doesn’t kiss the badge then I am sure I will cheer like everyone. Can’t see it happening though. I reckon Real Madrid will realise that Bale is way overhyped and sneak in and nick him and Liverpool will be happy to be shot of him but not to a direct rival.

So the nitty gritty on JM’s reply above, is not a question of who else we buy this summer, CL play-offs notwithstanding, if they are not purchased and registered before this coming Monday, August 12th, then they will not be playing in the CL!

Well not as long as we keep the one space left for Saurez, err, which seems we will have to do if that is his reason for coming?

Now you see the ‘game’ Liverpool are playing??

Time to move on all the other targets, Willian included, although that would mean Ryo going out on loan again, and get them on our CL before Monday, then we can play the waiting game with Liverpool?

This could go either way. Rodger’s coming out and denying everything Saurez said in his statement I think is pure Texan bluff. Rodgers has done his own credibility no good,but he is, first and foremost, a ‘company man’, and will do whatever they tell him to say? As long as they believe there is no witness to any verbal ‘agreement’ they can tough it out on their version of the wording of the ‘clause’.

Saurez has put himself in a very vulnerable position now, because without offers from Europe, he could end up staying at Liverpool, at least until January. Personally, if I were them I would not risk playing him if they want to get near a ‘fair play’ award. He will feel so betrayed by Liverpool management, Rodgers in particular for calling him a liar, that he could easily self- destruct?

Arsene Wenger on the other hand, has two choices. One, walk away now and look elsewhere. Two, put one more bid in. A ‘take it or leave it offer’, and gets his target.

We all know he is capable of walking away from deals if things get ugly.

JB’s ‘sauce’ does not have to be too well connected to say there will be developments … and, given the above, you will see that Cesc coming back here puts him in the exact same position as Saurez re the CL spot. After Monday, it will be either or?

Now you know the true cost of finishing 4th and not 3rd. Those in the top 3 spots do not have to register their squad until September 1st, as their first game in the CL comes later.
    Do you think Moyes hasn’t clocked that as well? Especially as SAF is back from his cruise.

It also exposes our lack of activity earlier in the window …

Welcome to the real world. Time to take off the rose tinted spectacles, because come Tuesday next week we may not have to worry about CL involvement beyond the play-offs, as any team further down the line will be what we have now, plus one …

Unless something amazing happens this weekend????

I think there seems to be a confusion of sorts here….

if , we qualify for the CL then we can re – submit our squad by 2nd of September. ..like every one else…

this monday deadline is only for the qualifiers as per my understanding.

157. JM says:

Bob Wilson says Arsenal must secure a marquee signing this summer and claims Luis Suarez is the big-name Arsene Wenger needs.

Audio:

“Arsenal certainly have a wonderful squad of players who are very together, great young talent, but they need a marquee signing and I think that marquee signing is Luis Suarez.”

158. Admir says:

Take a look at Pjanić’s brace from 2:32.

I am going to a JB thing here, and say tomorrow will be a good day for Luis Saurez …

160. macko says:

hello, it is clear that Suarez is a good buy but why he insists on getting players like that, it has another position to be filled in any emergency: defensive midfielder, right rear, and a good number 10 and if Suarez just this would also beautiful.
    I beg you Mr. Wenger stopped wanting to save money on each player because our competitors do not do them: for example Etienne Capua in spurs it is time to buy and not in the last day of the end of 15 min the transfer like Arteta ….
    Go Gunners

Morning guys 🙂

Thanks for keeping things constructive and some of the comments are simply fantastic additions to the post.

162. JM says:

@James Bond August 8, 2013 06:15

“If” we do not qualify for CL through the play-offs, we can forget about the 02 September 2013 deadline. (i.e. little to zero chance that Suarez, and any other SQ players, will join us for the lure of the CL)

Therefore, 12 August 2013 is still a crucial deadline that we, the club, should not be messing around about.

The likes of PSV, Real Sociedad are not easy walkovers. Metalist Kharkiv and Fenerbahce require long traveling for the team, in between league matches.

163. JM says:

@Admir August 8, 2013 08:08

I have gathered information that other than Etienne Capoue (Toulouse), Spurs have been keeping tabs on players from AS Roma (which is also not in any European competition).

Franco Baldini, Spur’s newly recruited sporting director for player recruitment and negotiations (quite like what Richard Law is doing for us), and who was previously the executive director at AS Roma while still remaining closely tied with them, has been assigned to capture both Miralem Pjanic and Erik Lamela. That is when/if the Gareth Bale transfer to Real Madrid should go ahead. And Baldini will be very likely to succeed with the funds available then.

164. Admir says:

JM, thanks for the info.

“Quite like what Richard Law is doing for us.”

You mean – “is not doing for us”?

165. JM says:

For me personally, Luis Suarez is a good signing.

He will provide the on-field firepower and guile to help us win matches.

In training, his presence will “teach” our defenders on how to tackle a crafty and opportunistic attacker during an actual match. We can never simulate that in real scenarios and we do not have strikers, forwards, wingers who are in that category of ruthlessness and professional “gamesmanship” like Suarez and …. Drogba (a very good example). Our defenders can “wise up” when going against these “players”.

“Gary Neville Masterclass on diving Sky MNF”

166. Delano says:

Suarez saga has made Brendan Rogers the biggest fool in coaching History.The ambience between Liverpool and Arsenal has been so good and even when we still enjoyed the Top 4 as it was there was never any rift between the teams. Its MU that has beef with LFC. Arsenal has always been a good friend. How can BR make a player look a goddes at such a big club. Just let him go get the money and buy other players.It is very stupid in all respects it deserves to retain a player who totally doesn’t want to play for you.To me even if Suarez went to Madrid its all fine but for a big club like LFC to cling on a disgruntled player.Its an embarrasment.
    Remember this is the same coach who said he was on good terms and talking to Suarez. LFC should just fire this idiot of a coach.