What to do with Lukas Podolski?

The Pod

Note for TA: this blog was written prior to yesterday’s game against Fulham.

How to get the best out of Podolski: Combine him with Gibbs and Ramsey!

Back in 2012 when Arsenal announced the signing of Lukas Podolski well before the opening of the transfer window, I was more than excited. The prospect of him playing alongside Theo and RVP convinced me that we were well on the way to concluding our trophy drought. However, the cruel nature of fate made sure that that summer window didn’t go as I hoped. I won’t go into details lest I awaken sleeping demons.

Anyway, my point is, even though we ended up losing RVP, in the back of my mind I knew that even though Poldi wasn’t as good, he could go a long way in replacing his goals. His first season was satisfactory at best. He started well but as the season wore on he seemed to lose his ability to influence the proceedings of a game. He was then dropped from the starting eleven and spent the rest of the season as a substitute. His goals didn’t dry up as his finishing ability is currently second to none in our team. Towards the end, injuries and suspensions to fellow attackers meant that he was our starting striker for the last three games; and to be honest he didn’t do badly.

The new season has begun and it is obvious that Wenger has picked up where he left off last season. Poldi has been involved in both games but only as a very late substitute. For a man who has over a century of international caps before the age of 30, and for one of the world’s best national sides, it is quite bizarre how his club career is panning out. In a time when Arsenal’s squad is thread bare owing to departures and injuries, Poldi’s omission is more than just a little baffling. But I do understand Wenger’s dilemma.

Poldi’s case is a strange one. On one hand, Podolski is one of the best finishers around. Even when he is having a poor game, for him it usually still is ‘one chance one goal’. He is also quite the crosser, especially from that left flank. On the other hand he has little to no influence on a game and therein lies his problem. Podolski’s movement is poor wherever he is played. He doesn’t know how to make runs, has no discernible dribbling ability and his pace is average at best. Podolski seems to spend 90% of his time on or around the halfway line, whether he is played on the left flank or as our target man. Every single time he is played up front the situation arises where a full back will make a run down the flank, but when he gets to the opposition box Podolski is nowhere to be seen and has no intention of getting into the box.

He has no grasp of how a striker should move whatsoever. This makes the team play around him. On the flank, Gibbs does a better job as a winger than the German. This, to me, is the reason why Poldi is second choice. It seems that his best position is as a second striker in a 4-4-2 formation, where he would play between the hole player and the main striker, because there his movement is limited but opportunities to shoot are plenty. Sadly, that is not how we play.

However, I have another suggestion. Wenger can start him on the left but he drifts inwards. Yesterday’s game against Fenerbahce showed that this can work so long as it is Gibbs who plays behind him. Gibbs was outstanding on that left flank, sending in crosses and even getting a goal. Ramsey was also outstanding, covering him perfectly when he went forward. This means that in this set up, Gibbs can do all the wing-work while Poldi drifts in, without having the pressure of being the main CF on him.

Whatever Wenger does about him, he should do it soon, because Podolski’s stature is such that he is not a bench warmer. If this continues, it is very conceivable that he will look for game time elsewhere.

Written by: Marcus.

139 Responses to What to do with Lukas Podolski?

Marcus 🙂

Fine post and fully agreed that the combination of Gibbs, Pod and Ramsey can work a treat on the left wing. You wrote the post before yesterday’s game, and with two great goals, the Pod has demonstrated to us once more his clinical finishing and value to the team.

The left ‘wing’ seems his best position but I see him also as a great super-sub late on in the game when it is harder and harder to defend in a disciplined manner against us. Podolski has a real good sense of being at the right place at the right time, and as he proved yesterday once more, this is when he is at his deadliest.

2. Dylan says:

Great post Marcus! 🙂 I agree that Podolski’s best position is in between a striker and hole player. Sadly we don’t play with that position in the team. However, I agree that in our system Podolski plays best on the left with Gibbs behind him. Almost as a LAM than an LW. So he can play in a role slightly behind the gap between Gibbs (when he’s up the field) and the ST (usually Giroud). That leaves Gibbs and Giroud to cut back to Poldi OR it leaves space for a midfielder to run through that gap recieve the ball and have a shot or lay it off to Giroud, Gibbs, or Poldi.

3. Dylan says:

Ex) Our third goal vs Fulham. Santi ran through that gap and laid it back to Poldi.

4. johnnie nyc says:

great post Marcus. by the way, i assume Pod going nowhere, with gerv gone and Ox out.. we would need two wingers to come in for him to leave, also second striker choice if Ollie goes down. Looks like schalke spreading the rumours and trying hard because they really want him!!
    and
    TA. im a big fan of Garbage also 🙂

5. Macko says:

good summary, Podolski and good in the axis but it tends to manage its efforts which gives the impression of nonchalance but someone who works a lot and who loves Arsenal this is seen It has always a smile on the lips 🙂
    We did not the best manager for transfers (though I trusts him), but I am thinking it is a very very big strategist and knows very well use his weapon Podolski 🙂

nice one, Marcus

but a tad harsh when you say that he is not good at making runs or is no where to been in the box ?

if Giroud is plan B, then Poldi is Plan C –

on the counter attack, there is no one better than Poldi on the left with Theo on the right – his runs, crosses and so on are the most accurate and besides, he’s not selfish or else last season he could have easily scored 20 + goals, which i am confident he will this season.

the Gibbs – Poldi partnership is the way to go – no doubt (HH, also is/was a firm believer of that).

saying that, Poldi will score you goals when they are needed the most – like any player especially operating on the wings – it’s a confidence thing !

i hope Poldi doesn’t want to leave Arsenal as i was reading between the lines and picked up on when Wenger said “i want to keep him”, which can only mean that he’s not happy and may have asked Wenger to consider all the options if he doesn’t fit into his plans.

anyhow, i hope he stays and wins things with us !

PS: Highbury Harmony – come back mate !!!

7. Dylan says:

I agree Macko! Wenger knows how to use Poldi, as shown by this win over Fulham.

jnyc 🙂

Nice to see somebody pick up the musical reference.

9. Glic says:

Thanks Marcus.

Personally, apart from scoring a few goals and is a great finisher and has a thunderbolt of a shot, I don`t get the Pod !, like you say, he hasn`t any blistering pace, cant dribble, in fact, I`m sure HH will agree with me, that Giroud is much better !.

Totals site has had over 999,000 hits !, so lets start taking bets…..what will be first ?……..BK getting to the 1,000,000 mark or Arsene buying a SQ player ?. I know who my monies on…..come on Totes !.

Gerry.
    I haven`t had ESPN. I don’t have an aerial, so haven`t a freeview box. Due to my barn being built partly into the hill behind, we only receive through a satellite dish ( an aerial doesn`t work because of the landscape ). We have BT Sport free because we are BT broad band users !.
    As for your signals from Wales, try to be strong my friend, don’t let them sheep try to entice ewe !

10. Glic says:

Will there be a drum roll, firework display or party or something when we hit 1 Million ?.
    Maybe a prize for the 1 Millionth comment ? and before you say it…..you know where you can stick your klompen dildo`s !. hahaha

11. Wengerball says:

Don’t think there’s much to read about Poldi’s role. I personally rate him and especially his attacking role. As JB has mentioned, Podolski’s counter attack play and precision is superb both in scoring goals and providing assist and more of the same from him will come this season and beyond as his contracted with the club till 2016.

What is exciting me is about Arsenal’s left wing play is Wenger’s use of both Gibbs and Monreal during phases of a match. When we are infront and leading and we need to close out the game and achieve the desired results from a match, Wenger is employing the services of both and not only are our defensive abilities improved, but I guess Gibbs is being put just in front of Monreal and that can improve Gibbs role of being a composed winger/attacking left back and easily overlap while attacking, provide assists or even score goals as he did against Fenerbahce. This can only be good news to the club in terms of resourcefulness and the club’s philosophy of passing and attacking football when we are in such of improving our goal difference advantage.

Thanks…

12. Glic says:

I`ve also got money riding on Totes first comment when we get to 1 million being……………………….BOING !………1 MILLION !

13. Dylan says:

Go ahead and count the comments Glic! Tell us who the millionth is! 😉 I have money on BK hitting a million first, purely because this site has grown exponentially since I first started reading (which was before I started commenting). I’d be surprised if we didnt hit 1 mil very very soon.

Hahaha – well spotted Glicster. I think you are going to win that bet hands down.. 😛

15. Glic says:

Keeping an eye on the BLOG STATS ( hits ) is like watching……..BOING ! Deadline Day !. Lets go and get some drink and popcorn !. hahaha

16. Glic says:

Another thing I have noticed Totes, is that it seems like only mine and your name are in blue ! ( well that’s what it looks like to me, but my eyes are playing up due to the extreme Solar activity in the background ! ). Is it because we are special and the other Bastardos are not ?. hahaha

17. harry671 says:

Podolski is quality when in the groove, but to get in the groove he needs to expend energy, reluctance to do so has invariably led to shouts of laziness from many coaches including the German national coach JL …. It’s why he didn’t stay at BM….

Dont want him to go, but if he wants more game time he’ll have to up his work rate….

Yes Glic, we are special! 🙂

Is that AA’s Harry? 🙂

you may wanna get in touch with 17HT @ GLICS , he has started giving odds and accepts bets via paypal 😉

where is he by the way ? has he done a runner with all my money i transferred through paypal yesterday ? must be having a few cigar’s and martini’s in the Caribbean i reckon , ah well.

BK is averaging 125000 views per month now, so 500,000 every four months. 🙂

22. Fournier Michael says:

Glic PERMALINK Says “Personally, apart from scoring a few goals and is a great finisher and has a thunderbolt of a shot, I don`t get the Pod !,”

Well let me explain it to you then Being a great finisher, having a thunderbolt of a shot and Scoring goals is WHAT WINS YOU GAMES.

Podolski is a GREAT player when playing in the right role. He is a top of to edge of the box striker not a center forward and in that second striker role he is VERY efficient. and WINS games. He has played on the wing also for Germany as their national team also has moved to the more modern 4231 (especially with Gomez as the lead striker) And he has Muller Bender and Ozil in mid and ether Klose or Gomez as lead striker he has scored big goals in big games. Arsenal just need to know how to use him.

And the Fullam game he showed exactly what I mean.
    Unlike many that want a big signing up front I still say we need to spend on a Box to box OR (as ramsey is doing well but what if he has a injury or needs rest then who?) a TOP TOP DM and Cover in defense as we always seem to have a run of injuries and run out of good defensive options. In the play maker role Carzorla and Rosicky in rotation is good.
    But I want more goal scoring Mids and We do not need to spend 70M on a head case striker.

23. bc says:

433 all day long

Walcott giroud podolski up top with chamberlain gnabry akpom sanogo afobe ryo and any new signings as back up.

Midfield – any 3 from wilshire arteta ramsey rosicky cazorla diaby monreal frimpong vermaelen eisfeld yennaris zelalem and any new signings.

In this formation our options are increased although young and in experienced. A top signing for each group is required plus a defender and a keeper. That’s 4 signings, however should we really want to win something then we need an extra defender midfielder and forward.

24. Glic says:

Not surprising Totes………we are special ones ! . hahaha

Glic so true 😉

26. harry671 says:

Yes frank……

27. Dylan says:

Fun fact, me and 17HT both started commenting around the same time. 😉

28. Glic says:

Hi Fournier Michael 🙂

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek trying to entice our, ” chucking the dolly out of the pram HH ” !. hahaha

29. Glic says:

999,666………spooky !.

FM wrote:

‘Apart from NOT having a thunderbolt of a shot Or even taking any most of the time NOT being a good finisher and NOT scoring any goals, and lacking that final ball that sets up goals in the final third. Wilshere is a great player with tons of pace on the ball tons of energy and good dribbling and safe passing.
    SO who contributes more a goal scorer of a deep lying Mid who has a ver low assist and goal tally and if is too easily brushed off the ball to be a DM.’

I bet you did the same with Ramsey for years…. Also Jack will prove you wrong.

‘Lacking that final ball that sets up goals’ ooh dear. 😕

Excellent Harry – how has life been treating you recently?

hahaha Dylan – you two balance each other out perfectly. 😉

Very spooky, Glic. It seems stuck aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh 😈

34. OMGArsenal says:

I saw Podolski play for Koln in the spot directly behind the striker and he was very mobile, fairly rapid and definitely quite deadly. He carried the team and although they were relegated, it was because they were total shit, despite Poldi’s best efforts. He is a decent left winger but a better 2nd striker.

35. Dylan says:

Now I expect JB to start calling me and 17HT the same person! We’re both from the US. We comment around the same times. We started around the same times. Like Gerry and (I believe) jgc. 😉

36. ProudGooner says:

Marcus,
    Good post,
    I watched Podolski very closely yesterday, i watched him very closely indeed. I personally love the player, i would not sell him for any ammount, why would we when he is world class and we have him on a long contract and we are short of players among many other reasons.
    When i watched and looked at his work rate i came to realise a lot of things you should consider when rating his performance in my opinion.
    1 Whilst at times i questioned his work rate i noticed that his positioning is very good and intelligent. After all a left winger is a left winger, track back if you see danger of course but if you think of his Germany role they play a deadly counter-attack game and he is positioned for that perfectly.
    2 He is a big stocky lad in good fighting shape, more a sprinter so he conserves his energy, i have the same build and i know that is what i do.
    3 He is 30 and at the perfect age for our team as its still quite young, on the down side he will lose a little pace in a few years, again reason to conserve energy.
    4 He is a fighter , you could see just from the way he reacted tp Hangerlands pat on the head, that is what we need in our team.
    5 His intelligence and expirience is great, he would make a good captain IMO,
    6 His left foot is binding as Rambo says.
    That just a few of his pluses, if we consider some of above and take the fact he cant sprint all day like Rambo and except it, at his age and body shape etc . We will be better of Wenger love a athlete and to needs to except this and take him for the great player he is. He will not sell him no way, he is happy at Arsenal and he is great. In fact he is defo 1 of my fav players if not fav at the moment.
    COYG

Gerry has been blogging here a bit longer than jgc, Dylan.

Catch you later guys 🙂

39. Dylan says:

TA, I just mean in terms of commenting at similar times. It is JB that has been saying that lately, right?

40. Glic says:

999,841….which indicates two things….1) we are close to the magic million and 2)….I am a sad bastard !. hahaha

41. ProudGooner says:

LOL FM,
    I think we are on he same page, i agree totally.
    Glic,
    ha ha ha ha

42. Glic says:

Where the fcuk does Total think he is going at this anticipated soon historical chapter on BK ?.

43. ProudGooner says:

OZ,
    Thanks for your comments on the last blog,

44. Dylan says:

Glic, he’s probably leaving in anticipation of this historical chapter of a million hits being filled with extremely funny comments from you. 😉

45. Glic says:

” 125,000 views per month ! “………….fcuk, that’s a lot of people reading my crap !…….I`m surprised I`m not being stalked !, hahaha

46. ProudGooner says:

ha ha ha ha piss funny all them people on news now around the world reading Glics British smut

47. Glic says:

Dylan
    I think he has gone out rounding up his neighbours and anyone he can find just to push the hits up !. Probably why he has changed the background colour to blinding Norwich canary yellow…..method in the madness !

48. Glic says:

Fcuk….it`s stuck on 999,841…..someone kick the screen !.

49. Glic says:

Get the Champers out, I spoke to soon…..well done Total………over a MILLION hits !……thank fcuk for that !…….I can piss off now and relax !. hahaha

50. ProudGooner says:

wonder if any of the players check it out?

51. ProudGooner says:

Your not Merson in disquise are you doctor?

PG,

all good solid points but he’s not 30, he’s only 28.

Dylan,

i can give you 10 articles to prove it, in the last article Macko was the party pooper , ha

but anyway, this is my forte – i’m the agent here, so if i ever suspected you and 17HT, i would have unmasked you (Italics) but don’t worry (since your writing style is different) all is well (and you are off the hook) (italics).

Glics @ ahahahhahahahahahahahah

PS: HH come back mate, i know you’re reading this !

One million hits! Cheers guys. Upwards and onwards 😛

55. ProudGooner says:

JB,
    Ohh thanks for correcting me 28. Thanks yeah i think its something people should consider, he is the most stocky player, fit and strong but bigger build then the rest of the players so whislt there all whizzing about he can appear a little lazy when in fact his not his just making the best out of his bursts and sprints.

56. ProudGooner says:

well done TA , fair play

you’re welcome @ TA – it was all my doing of course 😀

PG,

yep, makes it even sweeter that he’s only 28 and can give us a couple of more seasons at the top !

my only downer with Poldi is that he needs to be more confident and trusting with his right foot as well, there are moments when he could do using his right foot as well.

PS: HH – come out and play !

OZ,

mate,

i would like to hear your thoughts on what went on in the final session of the last test match ? isn’t it rich when you lot reckon we are cheats , have the umpires in our back pockets and so on, when you deliberately wasted so much time and influenced the umpires in a such a way to save yourself the test match ? shambles i reckon

anyway, there goes my 4-0 prediction, thanks to the whether and the masterful time wasting shenanigans by you lot

i want my money back ahahahahhahaha

59. GooneRed says:

Good write up and funnily enough Poldi did drift inward alot yesterday and bang – 2 goals!

I think the criticism of last season is harsh though. He wasn’t dropped per-se. It was widely acknowledged that he was carrying a foot injury all season and as it wore on it got worse and worse, hence the decline in form. He’s obviously fitter now and the result was yesterday where I thought apart from his goals he had good link up play, movement and worked harder for the team.
    Long may it continue!!

60. umar says:

One thing i learnt during fulham game is that podolski scores more when he moves to the center.for both goals podolski moved position interchanging with carzola.in the build up for the first notice how he turned and put the perfect ball for theo and then running into the 18 yard to finish.it is also worthnoting that he did position in such a way he could shoot with no pressure.in the first goal parker was behind poldi and the space between them was so large.in the second his positioning was also great as he had no pressure from the opposition.if you recall podolski has not been good with his positioning as a lone striker or as a left winger which make his goalscoring ability fade.with wenger saying the german is learning how to hold up play,the attacking midfield might be his best position for arsenal with carzola moving to the left.however it would be dangerous to play him where he is not experienced enough in playing.i suggest two attacking midfielders of the german and ramsey or arteta if we get a true defensive midfielder.it would also be worthnoting that poldi,ramsey and arteta dont shy away defensive duties so not much would be changed defensively.it would help share the burden of goalscoring between poldi and giroud.nonetheless this would obviously not work with rosicky and wilshere whose in midfield do not regularly end as assist. they are drivers pushing the whole team forward i think.this tactic may be used as squad rotation it stops predictability and then will produce lots of goals from all our high goalscorers as all are likely to play using this tactics.what do you think of my view? are you thinking thesame?pls comment .wenger may not have it in his though

61. Milo says:

Fournier Michael ALWAYS puts Jack Wilshere down… 😀 I think he has half a point though, in that he DOES need to work on some things. Like his temper??? Oh my goodness, every tackle on him, clean or dirty, he has a go at the referee. This is why he ISN’T my favourite Arsenal player and someone like Ramsey IS. Ramsey has picked up a couple (?) of silly bookings, but not out of temper or protest like Jack has. Jack is the better, more skilled player, no doubt, but he’s really got to cut out the histrionics, don’t you think??? And don’t give me age as an excuse!!! He’s only two years younger than Aaron and older than Oxlade-Chamberlain!

62. Wengerball says:

@ JB

RE: Cardiff’s Poznan celebration on Sunday in remembrance to the Man City’s win against QPR 2011-2012 final EPL game.

Milo,

steady now, i mentioned that after we lost to villa at home, re- Jack and i guess what ? i had to run for my life ! not only on that day but it carried on for a fair few days after as well

my advice ? be prepared 🙂

Yeah thanks JB for your monumental contributions hahaha 😛

WB,

ah , yes, thanks for that, i’m usually very slow on sunday – i thought you had connections to Poland

my bad.

Jack is 21 and missed about 1.5 years through injury… damn right he still needs to learn a few things, even though he was world class years ago when he alone cracked the Barca formula. Let’s leave Jack to get fully fit again and develop his incredible potential.

I want other players to follow Jack’s example. If you are being kicked from all angles, complain about it and/or kick back, but cleverly. We need leaders: players who stand up and play for the shirt and know that fight is sometimes required. One of the reasons we lost against the Vile Villains was we did not have enough of Jack’s character in the rest of the team.

67. Milo says:

Maybe…Don’t you think he should pick his battles a little more wisely though??? I guess whining and complaining just isn’t my cup of tea…It just isn’t.

But Milo, he gets targeted all the time. Players are aiming for his feet and ankles. What Agbonthewh*re did to Jack was nasty. If he does not protect himself, who will? And that is why I want a character like Fellaini in our team.

Nice video of the Pod’s goals last season – you might even spot one… or even more assists by JW10 😉

70. oz gunner says:

Well done TA, 1 million hits is an amazing accomplishment in such a short time (not that I would know given my brief history on blogs but it sounds bloody good).

I remember getting comments after a post has gone up saying “well done we’ve had 636 views since your post went up”. Sadly I’d probably still get that many 🙂

@ Dylan

We were blogging while you were still in your mother’s womb, young tacker 🙂

@ Marcus

great read.

He was always my number 1 non-arsenal player so I’m glad he came to us in the end.

Like you I thought he was going to combine well with BSR. That never materialised. I then thought he would be starting as our striker…didn’t happen either.

I like how he’s used on the left. He may not be the quickest but with that thunder bolt of a shot he’s always deadly if you give him a sniff. Gibbs definitely brings the best out of him as well.

I hope the rumours about his departure are purely hog wash. He’s definitely a required player!!!

71. oz gunner says:

@ Milo

Jack has the passion and fire inside. He’s an emotional guy who wants to win. I think it’s okay if his passion spills out sometimes at opposition players and refs. We need more leaders on the pitch like him to rally the troops and fire teammates up. Arteta does it too.

72. oz gunner says:

This post is missing one thing….

I wish the Arsenal faithful would sing this when he scored instead of using the recycled Bsr song

73. oz gunner says:

or the live version

Spooky…they do the same moves as me after he scores.

Cheers Oz 🙂

Yes, without NewsNow it is hard to get the audiences for posts. We got on NewsNow in November and had worked hard to get to about 25000 views in two months time. The other nine month generated 975000 views, which tells you all about the power of NewsNow.

Your and Redders initial support was invaluable to get the whole thing going, and it is great both of you still hang around and contribute to the post writing now and again. 🙂

Agreed on the song for the Pod. I guess the thing is that singing the ‘he scores when he wants.’ song is to show van Judas that we do not care about him any more – and that he is replaceable.

76. Marcus says:

Hey all,
    I will get back to you tomorrow.

77. Marcus says:

Its 2am here 🙂

Cheers Marcus and good night 🙂

I know Marcus. I sent you an email earlier today to give you a heads up but you must not have read it.

nice one lads and thanks for sharing the songs, also the experience @ TA

speaking of RA, where art thou

PS: HH – come out and tell us where do you reckon Poldi’s best position is ? 😉

Umar,

fair comment, however, the defensive duties in Poldi’s game were basically Wenger’s doing – Wenger and Steve bould worked at it , this is that one area where he has had to work his socks off at Arsenal as he wasn’t used to it as much before… at first you could see that he didn’t like it much but slowly yet surely, he grew into it, especially after the German national team coach acknowledged the improvement and was happy with it !

i feel after those comments, he got more motivated and started getting into it a bit more – much like Theo who has improved immensely –

i actually think Poldi might start up front on tuesday with Giroud on the bench or with Yaya up front with Poldi on the left – so yep, rotation up front it may well end up being

Hi all..
    Good post Marcus..

I was surprised by Wenger to see the team that played lastnight..
    Rosicky and Wilshere/Ramsey as our double pivot..?? hehehe..
    They must had a big confident for Sagna and Mertesacker to keep our backfield clean..
    I think somehow lastnight Wenger already pushed the formation to 4-4-2..

But the result is more surprising.. hehehe.. we beat Fulham 3-1..
    And you can compared it with City lost and Spurs 1-0 from penalty (twice)..
    So beating Spurs next week won’t be a hard thing to do.. hahahaha..
    As long as the referee do their jobs properly.. 5-2 will be the scores.. hehehehe..

Podolski is a good striker.. but surely not a good winger..
    So.. Getting back to 4-4-2 formation will give Podolski a lot of fun..
    But I don’t think Wenger will change the 4-3-3 formation..
    And I still wondering what post will Nacho Monreal be at our team..?? hahahaha..

Good Morning all you millionaires. Congrats Totes, that is a big number in a relatively short space of time.

Marcus – fine post, and despite being written before the Fulham game, you make a solid case for Poldi, despite some flaws …. Why can’t all posters be more generous 😀

Teasing HH. Look, I know Totes got it right with you being misunderstood when and Oz got started, and the only, well one of the reasons I chipped in was because I thought you were denying the point he was making re extra comments aimed at Giro, which you did not believe you were? That said, you, like most of the readers and writers who contribute to this fine blog are, intelligent people … in fact it is one of the reasons I like Giro, he is that rare breed, an intelligent footballer, and why I think he will work things out better this season. He may never be your favourite type of player because he cannot play that fluid, total football that you want Arsenal to play. I get that. But at the same time, given those type of players around him, he will be a sort of lighthouse if you like, the one player where the rest can have a reference point as to where they are, or need to be?
    I hope you see what I am doing here HH. If you are indeed a Scorpio, it is no use appealing to your emotional side when you are feeling misunderstood, but I am going for the intellectual part of you? Go on, you know you’re missing something when you not having your say …. and we have a match tomorrow night?

Enough said. On to the question about Poldi. I commented yesterday that ‘the old fashioned inside left position’ suits him best. I suppose the modern 4-3-3 system is the one that best converts to that earlier line up, which for younger people was something like this:
    Forward line of; Left winger; Inside left; Centre forward; Inside right; Right winger.
    Midfield(which numerically was a part of the back line) and defence;
    Left back; Creative midfield; Centre back; Defensive midfielder, Right back.
    Then the GK.

Needless to say, when they numbered 1=Gk, 2=LB, 3=CB, 4=RB, 5&6= AM&DM(who could be reversed) the shift to Number 6 dropping into a back four, and the inside forwards dropping back to midfield, you are then back to the 4-3-3 of today?
    Anybody of a similar vintage please correct any errors above, as I was heavily into horse racing in my early teens, so football came much later.

The point I was trying make is that Podolski would have been great in those earlier line ups, but now, rather than be an advanced midfielder, although in our set up with 4-3-3 is effectively what he and Walcott are, with the width provided by the full backs/wing backs. However, the two sides operate slightly differently, as Walcott can provide width, but Podolski is wasted hugging the line on the left? This requires Gibbs to do an enormous amount of running which is so often missed while the action goes on in the middle. To compensate I noticed in the Fulham game how far apart Mert and Sagna were a lot of the time, both appearing to close the space behind the advanced full backs. Which again highlights the need for defensive cover in the middle from that trio. I suggest a more conservative game against speedier central strikers?

Sorry, I do my own corrections. Numerically, going over my earlier Coventry City days, they were: 2&3 = fullbacks; 5 centre half; 4&6 = the half backs, but modern day CM and DM.

Interestingly, that three at the back has been mooted on here at times, including myself, as a way to include TV5 with the preferred Kos Mert partnership, although that is the modern, mobile centreback version, as fullbacks did not venture forwards when you had proper wingers.

Who knows, maybe that is what AW has in mind to make us more resistant at the back, with his eye on wingers?

85. Marcus says:

Like I said, I think he works best when he’s given a free role. Confining him to the wing or the CF position brings out his weaknesses..

86. Marcus says:

Dylan,
    Exactly my point!

87. Marcus says:

Johnnie nyc,
    We can’t afford to lose him, even if we bring in players..

88. Marcus says:

mack,
    Thanks

89. Marcus says:

JB,
    I’m actually not. Take for example his goals on saturday. In both of the, Poldi was one of the last players to arrive in the box and in both cases, it worked out best. When he’s the one leading the line, you find that our wingers make runs but find they have no one to cross to as poldi’s movement can be ineffective but I get your point. And thanks..

90. Marcus says:

Glicster,
    We are in agreement mate!! Though after all is said and done, poldi is a top player.

91. Marcus says:

Harry671 and OMGarsenal,
    Agreed.

92. jgc says:

Dylan, TA, Marcus, FM, et al…

A few thoughts in I hope some logical order, but, first, Dylan, you and 17 may be the same as you at least both live in the same country. I live halfway around the world from Gerry and JB… 🙂 … Most of the year anyway.

TA: congrats!

Now onto the post..

A. I very much l Iike the 4231 or basically 451 we are playing now. Lets us clog midfield and slow don other teams to cover lack of Presence! Defensively in midfield.

B. It also lets us make best use of our one area of excess in players, which is in passing, constructive midfielders of all stripes. In fact, barring Theo who is more wing than mid fielder do we have any other types of midfielder? Tongue a bit in cheek, but so much time has been spent discussing needs for what are are different types of midfielder — beast DM, number 10 major creator andscorer (tho Santi is basically there too)…

C. THUS, why doesn’t Arsene keep with this formation and approach which would per this post free up Poldi to be Poldi and let us better integrate whoever, please god let there be some, we do get!!

Ie, I have agreed with FournierMichael, in many many words … Kind of like Gerry, right JB? 🙂

In summary I don’t see why what we did in the last two games has to change if it gets the best from our squads skills… Flexibility is always key in football, IMO…

Cheers — jgc

93. Prince says:

Vot iz all zis talk abot mi? I am fooking sooper starr. No nid vorri for mi. I skor 2 gols for fantastik Arsenal and skor plenti mor. U trust zi deutch lyk mercedez benz. i vill vin trofi for Arsenal.

94. Prince says:

I no laizi. I lisen vot Venga taktik tel mi to plaiy. I vork harrd for dis graiytest tim d vorld as eva sin.

95. macko says:

the magazine the team said that we have made an offer for özil it would be a dream for me it is the best number 10 of the world;)

Hahahaha Prince – your English is supergeil! 😀

Macko – don’t believe anything – especially not James Bond’s tips 😀 – until it has been announced on Arsenal.com

I am not overly excited about Ozil but I guess Wenger will get the best out of him again.

jgc – very good points (a,b,c) – that is what Arsene will be doing again, I reckon.

Gerry is Pod the new Pires?

Good points about our wingplay now being the main responsibility for the Full Backs, unless we get a proper winger during the remainder of the TW….

100. Hey boys (and girls? and members of the LBTG community? (On that note, why couldn’t Bradley Manning become “Arsenal” instead of “Chelsea” Manning?… Why would anyone name their girl after that club?…but I digress…) Just catching up on all the post match and Lu-Lu analysis (and discussions about who hates whom, and how they should be writing about it…) and the refreshing lack of transfer spew. What will be, will be, I guess… 😀 🙄

Congrats Total on the million hits! As in personal finance, the first million is the toughest… All the hard work–responding to comments–is incredible. It’s a great group here and encouraging the folks who occasionally get bursts of energy but (clearly) don’t want the burden (of their own blogs) is brilliant. We’ve got a little community and it’s an example of what the interweb can be–at its best!…

Anyways, I’m on the road–escaping the smoke blowing in from Yosemite–and at a foreign keyboard so no giant posts for me–Plus, what’s been said seems worthy.: Elements of Marcus’ post were on (perfect) display with the Fulham match. With Ox out and issues with our MF shielding (too much running, not enough passing, as I keep saying…) Lu-lu’s late arriving thunderfoot was quite a tonic. We CAN play on the break but we need players who can see that not quite everybody is allowed to stream forward all the time. We need a few more matches to see what’s really happening AND we need to see if (and if we are, whom…) we are bringing (anybody?) in… Slowly (I think) our playing shape and philosophy is beginning to emerge, but we need more info… We’ve had soooo much change these past two summers so it’s been a work in progress. We’ve had to be reactive rather than pro-active for too long. Obviously, watching the TW carousel, we are still in a reactive phase (with our finances/transfers) but maybe less so with our core group, even if bones are showing… Fingers crossed we get some (much needed) reinforcements AND they’re able to build upon what’s already there…

So, plenty more to think about (and say) and I’ll be back to my station for the second legger. Personally, I think Fener was always in trouble with the match fixing and will go out in a quiet (tedious) fashion. You never know, but the rotation should be revealing and it’s another chance to get our MF used to passing (and running) with each other. My real hope is that we get a good weeknight turnout singing the various praises that need to be sung ahead of the Derby–and the end of the torture chamber…Songs and signings should include the answer to AW’s question–who (exactly) we should spend upon…I’m still going with “Mathieu Flamini–Let’s get him in on a Free.” or “A Pani—Cabaye–is better than no buy at all” or “A defender a defender, My kingdom for a defender…”

Still others may choose, “Clone Bac–Or at least give him a contrac(t)”… I can even see Glic (outside the grounds) crouching behind a sofa, spray–painted with his refrain: “Arsene, please (please) make me go ‘boing'”…

😀 Happy Monday…

(Oh, just wanted to say…that Dylan is NOT the little boy in me…nor the other way around… 😯 )

no worries, JGC, you me and Gerry, tend to be on the same page on most things – but still you’re not off the hook and very much under the radar the both of you 😉

Gerry,

the 3 at the back is a good option to have provided the players train a lot in those formations and have a good solid understanding – Martinez was playing some top notch stuff using 3 at the back for a long time whilst at Wigan.

it’s also usually the case when a team needs a goal to win in the last 10 minutes of the game and so on – hence, sometimes not a bad idea to start this way especially with teams who only have 1 striker up front and tend to park the bus ?

Marcus,

yep, that’s right, Poldi prefers the ball at his feet more often then not hence you can see why i mentioned Poldi as Plan C – he offers us something we have been lacking for a fair few years now, someone who is not scared of pulling the trigger from outside the box and i actually believe, that he is our best free-kick taker as opposed to Theo.

that was below the belt and not very nice – due to my tips, 17HT has literally gone to sleep until tuesday – i mean really, come back !

PS: HH – come back !!!

103. jnyc says:

Btw , the new nbc coverage of the league here in u.s. is INCREDIBLE! Every single match all season shown live, no extra cost! and all the related preview and review shows. Its a dream.

Testing, testing…comment written but not get through…

MILO & everyone else interested

here you go, MOTD for the Arsenal vs Fulham with Biased Lineker and Harry the spud with their usual love for Arsenal after the match highlights….decent analysis by Hanson …

watch it before it get’s deleted.

JB – I might write a post down the line of the ‘Ten Things James Bond Got Wrong This Torture Window’…. 😆

Lucky you, jnyc. We have to make do with scraps of the internet and the odd live game on TV… and Lineker and Shearer perform for us as the ideal cure for insomnia 😦

in that case, i hope you also point out the 20 things i also got bang on (hint, bale over 80 million comfortably cough cough) ahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

will make for an interesting reading that one – looking forward to it !

Lineker isn’t half bad as Shearer, that guy shouldn’t even be sat there to be honest, talks utter garbage , no insight and says the obvious anyway,

Hansen least does a solid analysis even though with his negativity towards Arsenal…Lawro wasn’t half bad either but really, shearer OUT !

109. Dylan says:

Ozil, Di Maria, Casillas. Yes please! 😉

110. jgc says:

All

Thanks TA, we will see, but, to me, if we’ve backs more like wingers and wingers more like centre mids, then 4231 should be ideal where the 31 is a wee touch narrow to clear space wide. Equally, the same but unbalanced with Theo wide in front of Jenks/Sagna and Poldi in feeding wide to Gibbs could work well…

JB, well, Gerry is still a channel a d some westward of me, so we are not likely the same. Tragically, he’s not responding to deny your claims however, perhaps he got some bad sauce? 🙂

Cheers — jgc

111. jgc says:

TA and JB

Well there’s a week left TA, still time to shorten the list, or lengthen it… But, just 10????
    👿

Cheers — jgc

and then there were the knives and blades pointed in my direction – guess what ? Suarez/Rooney/Cesc – Di Maria

even if 2 happen then i expect to be rewarded eloquently and perhaps even knighted ahahahahahahahah

expect developments after tuesday is all what i am saying – have said that since last week, i’m not doing a runner anytime soon either.

Sir Bond has spoken !

PS : HH – come out and play.

Hahaha JB – you got that one right.

Lineker, Shearer, Hansen all the same – middle of the road guys. But I liked Lawro.

jgc – good points. I would like a proper, yet modern (as in can play footie too) DM who can join the CB’s when the Full Back(s) go forward and knows how to tackle and win battles in the air.

Hahahahaha JB 🙂 😛 😀 😆 😳 🙄

If we sign two of those four you will get a digital statue! 😉

116. ProudGooner says:

Oz Gooner
    lu lu lu Lukas Podolski ha ha ha ha love it , i never knew this song exvisted . I really want him to end his career at Arsenal it looks like Rosicky is going to and i think these type of players who are world class we should start keeping til the end. I think this is the first big club that Podolski has been to and been a success at Munich he deffo was not.

Afternoon all, I thought glic might be on now giving us his scouting report from the match he watched yesterday? I got to see the Juve v Udinese game … well to tell the truth I dozed of sometime during the first half when Juve were dominant, but woke up to see Udi fight back, and saw who scored for them, (but cannot name for fear of putting the mockers on any TW hope?) … but the young guy has that magic word … ‘potential’.

You may remember I did a mini report on the Auxerre Dortmund game? I described Auxerre as the team who hadn’t got two star names to rub together, but I though they would do okay. Well, against Stuttgart they put on a show that explained everything I said about them. It was a bit like watching 10 Ramsey’s running the heart out for the team, and got a fully deserved 3 points.
    What also game to light was just how short of class players they are? In the whole of last season they managed to score just 18 goals! … and they still managed to stay up on the last day of the season? They are so short on cash, and luck it seems, as the only player the have bought for £750,000 is out injured for two months, and that money is probably like us going £83m for Bale, but without the back up of any further money coming in.
    Last night, playing Stuttgart who are in the Europa league, so it was a bit like Barnet playing Spurs of last season, and with the same financial clout as Barnet. Yet incredibly, they stuffed them. Completely overwhelmed them in the first-half and deservedly had a 2 goal lead, but Stuttgart pulled it back to 2-1 just before half time. The second half Stutgart made a change or two, and I feared they would not hold out. Wrong again. Naively perhaps, they were still going after their 3 goal deep into injury time, but they survived. Great game for the neutral willing on the underdog, and I was especially chuffed.
    What may have gutted Stuttgart even more was they allowed a loan player to play against them, and he had a blinder. Holzhauzer is his name, and Theo and co could take free kick lessons from him any day of the week. he must have put a dozen or more crosses from corners and free kicks that were on the button every time. In fact the only one he put over the bar was after about 80 minutes when he had virtually run himself to a standstill. Think Gibbs, and then some, and you get what I mean by having a blinder?

118. Funminiyi says:

Nice postTA, how about playing him as a supporting striker cum in “the hole” and have Santi drift to the left to accommodate him. He’ll be so handful for defenders and very useful for launching and finishing off counter-attack moves.

119. Funminiyi says:

Nice post Marcus,
    I’m glad to be back after 10days away from injustice and prejudice hovering on we goons. how about playing him as a supporting striker cum in “the hole” and have Santi drift to the left to accommodate him. He’ll be so handful for defenders and very useful for launching and finishing off counter-attack moves.

Very good question Marcus. “What to do with Lukus Poldolski”?

It is a question that i am sure will baffle scholars and future historians for centuries. I expect Woody Allen to make a film “Lukas in Manhatton” and Andrew Lloyd Webber a production of “Lukas in Tights” very soon.

Podolski has a magnificent left foot shot. More accurate than my eye sight when i spot a nice pair of tits, and more powerful than Bill Clintons hair line.

But what else is there? I like the Pod Marcus, he makes a very squad player, bit like Giroud realy. Though i am averse to transfer talk i must put on record however that for us to go up a level we need alternitives to Pod and Giroud, quite frankly, i want better.

Its all quite confusing. Pod has a great goal scoring record but to be honest he does not fit into the rythem of our team. i have lost count the times last season when i thought pod looked a fish out of water.

I will make a final descison after watching Woody Allens film. Woody has already told me that Pod will play a polish immigrant to manhatton were he gets a job as an appartment block janitor. In a tragic but very funny piece he will meet and fall in love with a rich and beautiful older women, played by Natasha Kinski, who it turns out is just using the Pod for sex.

Some people just never get the luck.

ah, nice work Gerry,

so , motto of the scouting , never allow an on loan player to play against you ?

here is a gem i thought i should share with all of you 😉

Zlatan Ibrahimovic – “Cristiano is a lucky guy, he always gets first row tickets to see Messi win awards”

😀

ahahahahhahahaha @ Terry

i guess you’re not entirely sold on Poldi just yet, anyway, however, his professionalism, calming effect and fighting spirit is absolutely brilliant – he can lift the team up with a moment of brilliance pinged in with plenty of moments of invisibleness 😉 i’m not sure if my memory is as good and silky as your hair style (wig) but hey, last year he was one of the players to get us up and running after 2 goalless draws ? vs liverpool on the counter attack – a brilliant one two and then on the bike stuff with a decent finish.

Germany use him as a Super- sub , no reason why he can’t play in 40+ games this year for us both as a starter and as a sub.

Rooney starts against Chelsea – if he has a poor game then we all know why that will be , isn’t it ? 😉

124. Glic says:

I see we have been linked to the ” Bulgarian Gareth Bale ” !.
    I like this idea as he will be cheap and we can pay him £10 per week as he will supplement his wages in between games by working as a pick pocket on the London Underground Railway !.

ahahahhaha @ Glics

interesting, no Striker for Chelsea , the Spain model ? or to show Wayne Rooney – this is how much we want you at Chelsea, we are willing to drop all our strikers if you joined us and play you as our lone Striker ?

126. Dylan says:

Supposedly Chelsea don’t really want Rooney. They just want to pretend to be interested in unsettle him. Then after this game they will announce Eto’o as a new signing.

127. jgc says:

Dylan and JB

I think the TW Takes a new mindset, like jr high school. .. S,tell your friend to tell their friend that I could like that girl she’s friends with, but maybe not if she’s “rich”…. Oh. Dear. God. No wonder Kroenke can’t succeed, it’s not actually a business, per se!

All in fun in case any junior high girls are posting on BK. I have my suspicions about a few of you… 😈 😀

Cheers — jgc

Glics,

sort JGC out, he’s called you a high school lass!

Dylan – you’re onto something there – very promising career as an agent awaits you, i can tell.

🙂

129. jgc says:

JB, 😆

130. Dylan says:

Hahaha JB. I think that’s more of a managerial thing. And I would LOVE to be a manager. 😉

131. Dylan says:

With the signing of Willian an AM/winger must leave Chelsea. Since Mata isn’t starting for Chelsea, I assume he’s first gone. But Jose maintains he’s not leaving. De Bruyne is really impressing me, if Mata isn’t leave we should go for him.

132. Fozzie B says:

Wagawaga Brokeback Brethren!!

Fine posts by Dylan, Totes and Marcus and Dylan .. I’ll say it again … you could be the next AVB .. (cough cough) I mean young coach! got to work those young social circles of yours to get a coaching in at some stage eh?

Brilliant win in the weekend and great to see the ball at the feet rather than the hail mary (or is hail giroud’s) into the box which as you guys have pointed out only yielded him one goal from free play in his last year in Montpeillier.

I see a few OG fairy cakes were offered to HH and decided a food fight was in order at the
    BK Mad hatters tea party … 😆

I like it!! All your comments are stimulating and I would like to say come back to the fold HH because we are all muppets here!!

Try having Jim Henson’s hand shoved up your wazoo for a few decades!!!
    That’s enough to make any man lose the plot …. !!
    When I came out of the BK closet I could see his forefinger beckoning me to stay but
    enough is enough I decided! 😆

By the way there’s no co-relation between me supporting Arsenal and the above …
    I agree on paper it does look a bit that way … but its purely coincidental ….. 😆

133. Fozzie B says:

Glic … I know your desiring to peer back into the closet to check out Jim Henson’s forefinger!! :D)

134. Dylan says:

Thank you Fozzie. 🙂

135. Fozzie B says:

I think Abramovich loves Mata Dylan .. he’s his midfield play thingy … he took over from Torres in the playpen … 😀

136. Dylan says:

Fozzie, if that’s true, then either Oscar or De Bruyne must leave. And Oscar us a treasure at Chelsea, so lets sign De Bruyne! 😉

Hahaha Fozzie – you are spot on. He is Abramobitch’s very own matahari! 🙂