Will El Zorro return?

Will El Zorro return?

Evening guys. I have been busy all day, so this is going to be a quick and dirty pre-match. Those who are blessed with a bit more time will hopefully add some more depth and insight to our encounter with Napoli tomorrow.

These are the sort of games that make European football so desirable, but I am glad we are playing at home rather than having to travel again to Southern Europe. Β From the little I have seen of Napoli, they are a good team and lot of their strength comes from the centre of midfield. Luckily this is also out strongest area at the moment, and I expect a great battle tomorrow.

CL football at home often gets the very best out of our players and I am hoping for an entertaining and yet disciplined performance. In terms of line-up, I don’t expect much change other than the ineligible Gnabry being replaced by either Ryo or Ramsey (allowing Arteta to play next to Flamini in the double DM).

I am going for 4-5-1 tomorrow with 5 multi-disciplined and talented midfielders and Giroud as a better version of Chamakh as our holding striker. I like 4-5-1, but I just as much like proper wing-football, and I reckon we’ll miss Theo’s thrust and goal-threat quite a bit tomorrow. A lack of speed in midfield could mean we need to get a lot from our FBs, and maybe Corporal Jenkinson will start tomorrow. However, I am still sticking with Sagna.

On the left side, the continuously improving, supersonic Gibbs could play an important role tomorrow. He is quietly growing into a fine footballer, and I have a feeling he will score the first goal or produce the assist for it.

Anyway, here is my predicted (and desired) starting eleven tomorrow:

Arsenal v Napoli

A big game for our captain Vermaelen, who I reckon will play tomorrow, and a good opportunity for Ozil to show the world what it means to arrive at the home of football. πŸ™‚

OGAAT

UTA

COYG

Written by: TotalArsenal.

177 Responses to Napoli preview: back to Cesc-like 4-5-1 with Jack, Aaron & Ozil playing Wengerball?

1. Fozzie B says:

Wacko wacko willy wriggling wondered!! πŸ˜† fiiirrrrrsttt!! πŸ˜†

2. nice turn says:

Don’t really see Verm in for Kos…I know too that Jack has a knock and is questionable…could do with Nacho on the wing to support Gibbs…Napoli is fast, really fast, and we need to really be careful with this team.
    Kinda funny, at the moment this Champ league group contains 3 teams sitting 1st in their respective leagues, Arsenal, Napoli, and B. Dort, with only Marseilles off the pace.
    This is really what the Champions League is all about, best vs best. Loving this group.
    Gotta play the best to be the best right?

3. Fozzie B says:

Nice one Totes and I agree with your line up except for TV playing. If Gnabry drops then Ramsey will take his place but if not then unchanged. I think le prof will push the team regulars to the interlull!! What a good time to play Napoli at home though with both our form being good. As long as we keep scoring first I think we are ok. And when that changes as sure it will we have to dig deep from the last season!! I think Ozil will claim this game as he is made for the big stage and will lift himself to the next level!! Tired ollie to score and the ram!! πŸ˜€

4. Fozzie B says:

Oh yeah Humphrey OGAAT boooyyzzzz!!!! πŸ˜€

5. mA says:

I see the line up above is quite pretty, but my only regret is on the left (Gibbs -Wilshere combo). were it not for lack of options, i feel the two just don’t get along especially given that Jack should not play in that position. Over the weekend against Swansea I appreciated his commitment and willingness but it was evident he was frustrated -probably Gibbs roaming up the field or inside. particularly, Jack had a torrid 1st half against the Swans and I felt for him (constantly raising up his arms for help). nonetheless, he is the best option right now but don’t worry playing him too many games? Hopefully, if fit, he will show us the beautiful boy he is.

I feel Napoli will present a different challenge from what we have faced so far. That dimunative youngster, Insigne, might cause problems with his throughballs. Hopefully, one of Flames, Zorro or Rambo will closely monitor him (particularly in the opening periods of the game). If allowed, Higuain can also lead to confusion among the defenders because of his tendency to drift wide and widen the gap between Kos and Mert. It will be interesting to see how they react to Higuian’s movement out wide to receive the ball.

On a different note, Ramsey on the right of the midfield is great because we can always catch them during transition/counterattack. He is quite mobile and can combine well with Giro, Ozil and Jack/Gibbs. Hoping a wonderful performance from the boys tomorrow.

6. Fozzie B says:

Agree Ma – insigne is a key player tomorrow!! πŸ˜€

Cheers guys πŸ™‚

All good points. Vermaelen is a gut feeling thing, but I could be easily wrong.

Got to go, catch up with you all tomorrow evening.

8. AB says:

Good stuff TA. Lots of food for thought and options here. My thoughts:

1. Not sure why we would bring Verm back just yet. And if any CB needs a rest it is Mert. I can’t see Wenger resting Mert for such a key game though, so it would seem Mert/Kos stay. The rest of the back 4 pick themselves.

2. In the pivot I can’t see why anyone would move Ramsey, given how well he is performing there; he demands his place. Arteta has been feeling his way back in, and still looks short of match fitness to me. Given Napoli’s attacking potential Flam seems the most likely start, assuming he is fit.

3. On the wide players, we have the most uncertainty. Gnabry is ineligible and Jack may be carrying an injury – or is that just code for struggling for form? We need some pace and some supply from wide positions, which takes me to Nacho or Jenks starting, possibly with Rosicky? Most likely here would be Jenks on the right and Ros on the left. A slightly more defensive option would be Nacho, and possbly Arteta on the RM. My vote is Ros and Jenk if the former is fit.

4. Ozil and Giroud are automatic positions.

This formation leaves us with some quality cover on the bench – Verm, Arteta, Jack and Nacho. Plus presumably Bendtner, Akpom and Ryo. All it would take would be Santi and Walcott and we would have a 1st team and a bench that would have real depth in quality.

Feeling a bit nervous about tomorrow however. Rafa may be a bit of a twat at times, but he does have a habit of settling his teams up well to play against us. But we have shown real spirit so far this season, and the team deserves our trust and confidence. COYGs!!!!

9. Bongo says:

What a crazy world we live in, Manchester clubs falling short…….

Agree with AB, the spirit is what has the gunners top. Can it last the season though?

My question is, Arsenal will be in the top 4, but can they compete for the CL and FA cup as well? If the premier league is he main effort are there sacrifices that need to be made in other competitions? League cup excluded.

10. proudgooner says:

keeper back 4 the same.
    with Ram-Flem.
    Ryo Ozil Rosicky..
    ———–Giroud—————
    I feel this team could be very nice with a solid defence and DM cover. But with a lot of pace going forward to damage Napoli , With Theo it would be deadly, it would be up to Ryo to step up and shine, show us all what he can do, i believe he has it in him. I like the idea of Ozil and Tommy splitting defences and i think it could be great it just depends if they have had enough practice together.
    In Arsene we trust! he will find the right mixture, he sounds massively up for a big challenge in the Cl and Title this season as he should. He deserves it more then any other manager imo

11. proudgooner says:

Or Jack Ozil Rosicky
    =======Giroud==========

12. proudgooner says:

Rosicky Ozil Gibbs
    ========Giroud======
    So many different options ,
    COYG.
    After watch the Emirates cup match, i thought we were by far the better team, i think Flem has to play not only because his form but he knows the team well from his time in Italy he will be very important tomorrow. My prediction is 3-1 to Arsenal for a change ha ha ha ha

13. proudgooner says:

I just want Sanogo, Podolski, Cazorla, OX, Diarby and Walcott all back fit. Most of them are world class players and the others have the ability to become that. Very exciting times to be a gooner, its possible that in a month they are all back fit πŸ˜‰

14. Highbury Harmony says:

Thanks for the match report TA.

It should be a very interesting game as it will give us a better idea of how we stack up against a top club. Higuain seems to be adjusting well to Napoli and the club has not suffered the same fate as other top clubs that have had manager carousels this summer.

However, we must also realize that we won’t even be fielding our best line-up tomorrow, with Santi and Theo both out injured. If we can beat Napoli with the 11 tomorrow, who knows how far we could go in the CL! Also, the prospect of super subs like Poldi and Ox are not possible at this current time, but tantalizing to think about. Just goes to show that we can get even better, on paper at least.

Which brings me to my next point. Is there something special between the current 11 that have been starting most games and will the re-introduction of Santi, Arteta and Theo hurt that chemistry? We have a good thing going right now, but we could always use more options in attack. However, there seems to be a drive from players like Jack, Flamini and Rambo in our squad that is not as prevalent when Theo and Santi start. Theo’s a great outlet for our attack down the right and diversifies our attack more, but Gnabry has been excellent in providing that AND better control of the ball down the flank.

Just something to consider I guess.

Hi all..
    TA.. nice post..
    What is UTA .. I missed some of great post lately.. hehehe..

I disagree with your team..
    1. Arteta and Flamini won’t play together as double pivot.. not in this very moment.. hehehe.. Either Flamini-Ramsey or Arteta-Ramsey will be our double pivot..

2. Ramsey won’t play as a winger.. moreover a Right Winger.. Better to put Rosicky there if Gnabry must rest.. or playing Gibbs more forward and Monreal for LB..

3. I will rest Wilshere.. and play either Miyaichi or Gnabry there.. hehehe..
    And with Vermaelen’s last game.. I don’t think he will play.. Kosc instead will.. but I hope he will go more ease with himself..

And tonight will be a good game to watch.. who is more valuable players.. Ozil or Higuan.. hehe.. but We will win.. cause We have Rambo and Meszil.. and they will fire.. again.. hehe..
    We’ll win cause we’re Arsenal.. haha..

We are the Champion.. Go Gunner..

16. JM says:

Arsenal injury front:

Wilshere – recovering from ankle/foot injury (returning 1st Oct)
    Rosicky – recovering from hamstring injury (returning 1st Oct)
    (Both might start from the bench)

Cazorla – ankle/foot injury (returning 6th Oct)
    Walcott – abdominal strain (returning 18th Oct)
    Podolski – hamstring injury (returning 19th Oct)
    Ox-C – knee injury (returning 10th Nov)
    Sanogo – back injury (no return date)
    Diaby – ACL knee injury (no return date)

Napoli injury front:

Maggio – knee injury and operation (returning middle of Oct.)

17. macko says:

hello, I’d put Jack to post Arteta and rosicky or even Nacho the position of Jack.
    Arteta and far too slow and not aggressive enough at the moment!!

Morning all. I cannot quite get my head around why Gnabry is down to play in so many Blog headlines, if he isn’t eligible? Have we misread the rules? Can he now qualify on the ‘B’ list or something. I do believe it was around this time when he signed 2 years ago?

No doubt all will be revealed as the day progresses.

TA – In this spirit of OGAAT, it seems, and I am guilty as anyone, the preview is catching up with earlier comments? Nevertheless, your thoughts are always a welcome focal point to address our salivations before tonight’s match.

So apart from the above quandary, I think the team, nay teams, will both be focussed on the same thing; not losing, but trying to win on the counter attack,

This probably means whoever makes the mistake at the back loses. Technically and tactically I think it will be an interesting game, but not a high scoring one, probably 1-nil either way? So for us, i think Rosicky’s pace and drive forwards will be a bonus, if he starts? Now whether that is replacing SG44, or in addition to, and thus replacing JW? Either way, if we are going to make the most of Ozil’s quick thinking/passing I think we need him.

No way can I see TV5 getting a start here after Kos’s masterclass of nicking the ball of toes last time? He, and Mert are the basic ingredient of keeping a clean sheet here. However, I think the dink ball over Mert will become the tactic of choice by those observers who watched the Swansea game. They tried it earlier on, but nobody read the ‘pass’, and commentators saw it as a poor attempt to chip Szcz. i believe it was a rehearsal? Be warned, whenever somebody cuts inside and plays the ball to the edge of the box, the chip return pass will be on, especially if we are defending higher up the pitch?

On our general play, and why it seems we ‘take the foot off the pedal’, as opposed to the way most people want us to play, i.e. with a high tempo throughout, I think they have found it physically impossible to do that game after game. So it is more controlled now. We attack at speed and in greater numbers when the opportunity arises, but equally, defend small areas of the pitch, also in numbers, but allowing a recovery period during the match.

Some players are having to do more, and yesterday’s topic, Matty Flam is a prime example, along with our midfield supremo Aaron Ramsey. I don’t expect either missing tonight’s game?

If AW can select the same 11 from the Swansea starters, I think that is the line-up, but for the afore said ‘if fit’ Rosicky coming in for Jack? Apart from the usual suspects on the bench, I would like to see either or both Bendtner or Akpom, with one eye for the next game, and of course Bellerin. his extra pace, and defensive capabilities would be ideal if, whoever is on Giro’s right needs to come off after an hour?

So my 4-3-3 reading would be; Flam as the CDM; Ramsey on his left and Rosicky on his right; then the option of Gnabry – Giroud – Ozil as the attack threat.

Other alternative if Gnabry cannot play, could include Gibbs in front of Monreal, or Arteta moving Rosicky forwards, or (at some point at least, please!) Bellerin in front of Sagna.

i think if we can keep a clean sheet we will do well, but if they score first they will be even more difficult to breakdown.
    It is a big test for the collective effort, and one that cannot afford any lapses? And that is as near as I will come to a forecast score πŸ™‚

Macko – Bonjour, comment allez vous?

I think Arteta make up for speed with being able to read the game well. But i agree, at the moment, Flamini could play the solo DM role, thus freeing up the counter attacker runners to as soon as we regain possession, whereas Arteta could be, or make them, more cautious?

There is a very good case for Nacho/Gibbs double act, but not in a straightforward down the line way. If you have Gibbs as the AML he can be used in attack, but crucially, track any runner with his pace if the attack breaks down. If Monreal plays ahead, for his crossing, he will not get back that quick. Gibbs, in effect becomes an extra central defender with his better heading ability. So for me, i would always have him in the higher position, and keep Nacho filling the space down the line?

20. geoffchase says:

All

Will have to catch on stream tonite almost certainly, but … jgc-damus was off color last week but calling this one 2-1.

Must win in some ways I think they will be fired up at home. Ramsey will attract lots of attention like Theos pace does given his rate, and I think he will be all out.

Flamini and a (I think) Koz/BFG pairing to own Higuain and his supplier (forget his name the big assists guy)..

And for the cheap seats and because I will eventually be right, Ozil to score! πŸ™‚

cheers — jgc

Morning Fine Fellow Gooners. Nice pre match Totes.

I wish I knew who was fit and can/cannot play tonight. So many differing reports to who is fit/eligible.

One thing I would like to say is if Rosicky is fit, I would like to see him in the starting line up. I think he performs well on the international stage and would undoubtedly be a threat to the Napoli defence. It’s a shame Walcott is unfit as this is tailor made for him.

I do not see Vermaelen starting. It will be Per and Kos at the back, with Sagna and Gibbs making the back line.

Flamini, if fit, must start, with Ramsey in his favoured position.

Girout and Ozil are certs.

I don’t think Wenger will take a chance at starting Bellerin, but he may feature on the bench.

Gnabry is a mystery. Some say he cannot play, some say he can?????

My prediction goes along Gerry’s line. It will be a cagey game with both sides not wanting to concede the first goal and playing on the counter. Whoever performs this feat the best will win. I do fell however there will be a winner and not a draw.

Beers in the fridge cooling nicely………..Fingers crossed for the Good Guys.

22. macko says:

hi gerry How are you? good analysis on Nacho I agree with thee;)

23. Hello TA,fellow gooners

Thanks for the pre-match TA..

I’d go for the following line-up

Big Pole

Sagna BFG Kos Gibbo

Flams G.O.A.T

Rozy Oooozil!! Jack

Ollie

Expecting a good game of football comprising swift attacking moves and disciplined defending

COYG!!!!

Hello Macko, I think, like many who read and write on this site, do so as a distraction from ‘real wortd ‘ problems. My dog world has known better days..

So this evening’s game will take centre stage of my attention. I think will again have the ‘Player audio on. That way, even if I know the result,. at least the visuals are new when I see it later. If the stream is is a bit weak because it fed back here from an overseas broadcaster, then it is next too useless? Slightly easier I guess for those of you overseas, but not always it seems?

I have just put the magnifier on the training photo, and Gnabry, Ryo, AND Bellerin are out there? What this mean regards eligibility I have no idea. All three are available to play tomorrow in the Under 19’s of course. The body at the back, hidden behind Jack may well be Eisfeld. It could be Kos in the red boots, but TV5 and Arteta are both to the leading group, and Monreal might be the other one hidden at the back?
    Sagna, Jenks Ramsey, Le Flambeau, and Giroud, round off the main picture. Looking at the other stills the guy with the red boots is Park? At least Per(fect) Mert is out there with Ozil, Rosicky Pires( not joking, but not playing). In fact the two bodies I could not see where Akpom and Nicky B? i guess they were there somewhere?

So, bar Pires, those appear to be the options?

KG – I forgot, it was Szcz out there too, not Fab or Viv .. in the photos at least?

I like your team sels, but prefer Rosicky over Jack, if fit.

KG – Sorry, I see that you have Rosicky in for Gnabry, which is fine if the latter cannot play.

Aaron promoted to the ‘greatest of all time’ is a bit OTT? Greatest of the present time perhaps?

27. geoffchase says:

Gerry et al

Lets be nice to AR and settle for GOPM (greatest of the present moment(s)) and let him grow in to PT (present time) and eventually AT (all time)

cheers — jgc πŸ™‚

28. Early morning for me, and I’m starting to think that our deep respect for one another (on this site) made us believe whoever put forth the idea that Gnabry wasn’t eligible w/o challenge. That would be a first in Arsenal blogs, wouldn’t it… πŸ˜†

Nice to see the various line-up ideas and comments. As thin as we are we’ve still got a couple of options. There are also murmurs that it’s Jack’s turn to come down with a little knock (what I call a “Weng-jury”) so as to avoid the specter (spectre?) of being dropped. Many have pointed out his difficulties defending on the left ahead of Gibbs and the scary back pass which was intercepted late on at Swansea. If Rosicky is fit he’d be a buzzing bee and I’d love to see him in cahoots with Messy…

Sorry TA, I don’t think this is TV5’s spot to return and certainly not at the expense of our fastest defender (Koscielny). Per turned and facing our own goal is the nightmare scenario and the common theme in the last two league goals we’ve conceded. He’s come out with the armband, but, if the narrative is that Napoli are lightening fast on the break, the combo of TV5 and LK6 probably have the better chance of recovery. I don’t see a change, but if there is one, that would be my choice. Perhaps with a more mindful double pivot of Arteta and Flamini ahead of them?…Naw, AW’s gonna stay with what’s worked…

So, Sicky for Jack and, maybe, Arteta for Serge, with, hopefully, the youngster available from the bench after 65 minutes if we still need the goal… With both clubs already sitting on 3 points a single point isn’t the worst result for either. What we don’t want is having to go to Naples on the final match day needing a result. I actually saw Maradona play in that stadium in 1990(!!) and the home support can get the ancient edifice rocking…(a little scary, in truth…)

Good to see HH back and keeping it real… We miss you…Job + wife + Arsenal = one too many?… Or maybe the attention can only go to wherever the current crisis is at?… Here’s to another match (or 3) w/o the crisis being in the N5…

it’s a real confusing one that Gnabry one, we have tried to get to the bottom of it – Me, JGC and Gerry

i looked at the official Uefa website for his name at the time and it wasn’t there, so we came to the conclusion that he is ineligible and his place was taken by Zelalem..

however,

i look at the official website now and voila – Gnabry is there…

let’s just say, i’m not complaining if he starts for us tonight…

him training doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s eligible but could be that he needs to stay and train with the first team for WBA ?

but like i said, i would be chuffed to have Gnabry start tomorrow – the lad will be on a real high after the weekends performance !

interesting selection @ TA

if no Gnabry, then Arteta /Rosicky come in

if Arteta comes in then it’s a 4-4-1-1 we play

if Rosicky comes in for Gnabry then it’s pretty much a 4-5-1 i reckon

i just feel that Rosicky play start , why ? because he’s that good and he doesn’t need to be match fit and all that, enough experience there as it is and besides you give Rosicky match fitness, 3 games and then he breaks down – so what’s the point ehhh ?

slot him straight in, he’s deliver the goods

as long as we can keep Hamsik on a leash, we’ll be fine

i’m expecting Napoli, to play really dull and boring – we will have to break them down and for that — OoooooooooooooOOOoZil will do just fine…

i get the feeling that JW/OoooooOOooZil might be on the score sheet ?

JGC-Damus has predicted a 2-1

i am gunning for a 3-2 (however, it might end up being a draw 2-2).

17HT,

i was the one who mentioned Gnabry not being eligible – however , i was challenged plenty , i can assure you of that, there were more than a few links in that particular article (our comments) to put both views across…and in the end we decided to go with the flow !

A couple of other things…Napoli are a solid team with many individuals who can hurt us. Higuain will get booed, and Hamsek has the hair (plus the tattoos, plus the skills). Their players who went off to Paris (Cavani and Lavezzi) will be missed, but they did well to spread the money around and get underrated Spaniards Callejon, Albiol and Reina. In other words, they can defend in a certain style. Going forward, the guys who actually scare me the most are tiny Insigne and thunder-footed Inler. If we get our defensive lines wrong and the former gets in behind or the latter is free from 20-25 they could hurt us in an instant…They’ve also got that guy Behrami who did a lot of fouling when he was at West Ham…Mertens is as good as a lot of those other (more highly touted…) Belgians (i.e., Hazard), IMO…

Also, this is a big match for the home support. My impression is that the (expensive) “extra” matches have been a bit of an albatross around the club’s neck. With expectations low and the often poor level of competition in the group stage, the fancy parts of the stadium have been pretty barren. Tonight’s match should bring out the supporters (Ozil’s still a novelty, no?…) but I wonder if it’s a more fickle variety who will ooze nervousness (and worse…) if it’s the cagey match many are predicting or if the bounces (whistles, winds, etc…) don’t fall (or blow…) our way… Stadium reports will be much appreciated as I’m (again) consigned to watching on a stream… (Damn US satellite TV!! πŸ‘Ώ )

not tomorrow *tonight

πŸ™‚

HT17 – The absence of his name on the A-List, and reading the rules of B-list qualifiers needing to be signed and with the club for two years(and not loaned out in that period), and not qualifying as ‘home grown’ were the reasons put forwards at the time.

All sounds very reasonable until the club clarify it one way or another? I cannot believe my hypothesis of him being with us for 2 years now will stand either, as these rules invariably reflect the status at the start of the competition/season?

I see you have similar spell-check problems as I have? Yours from American English to UK is understandable. i have the same problem because I bought an import version of Windows 7 (all legal and fully certificated, but even with UK English update installed I still get queries over defence and defense. which I usually give in to the latter. I insist on my -our’s in colour and other similar word endings that brings up the red under-lining.

The one today, Spectre/Specter is a fun one to recall. Specter here would lead me to the record producer who ‘accidentally’ shot his wife at point blank range? Whilst Spectre is JB’s mortal enemy – the circular saw moment comes to mind? – alternatively as an apparition that brings fear a fear or dread .. But you knew that already.

I agree with your thinking on the line up, but none the wiser as to, is he/isn’t he available at this moment?

Arh ha – Were you the originator of this dilemma JB?

35. Gerry..don’t worry, its just a passionate joke..it’d be an insult to DB10 to make such a statement.. πŸ™‚

solids points @ 17HT

they are a good team, however, they are 2nd in Serie A and let’s be frank here, we have enough quality to win tonight and show the entire world and our doubters that this time – we mean business

i like our slight tweak in tactics as in not playing the possession game so much and focusing on taking our chances well – Giroud needs to score tonight or else we will never stop to see him Sulk whole evening , so just to avoid that , i would love for him to score and also the fact that it will be good for his confidence levels – he only /mostly scores in London, anyway, doesn’t he ?:)

in the absence of no one else coming forward – i’ll take one for the team @ Gerry πŸ˜‰

nah, i remember me and JGC discussing it, he gave a daily mirror link to say he was in the squad and i gave a couple of more links – it all developed from there really

either way, we find out in about 5.30 hours – give or take !

Haha James… Maybe it’s because we’re so invested in believing what you tell us… πŸ˜‰

I, however, admire that you admit when you’re wrong… πŸ˜†

I also like that you take on the trolls…Have you apologized to those Liverpool folks who were able to hang onto their guy? (Also, please explain why we have any hope of ever getting him, ever…)

I’m just joshing (as we say)… Glad that you’re confident about tonight’s match. I believe that it’s our toughest yet, given the (potentially) hostile (home) crowd, Napoli guys rested at the weekend and playing for a draw tonight. We still have scored first in ALL our matches. What happens when it goes the other way? Do we have what it takes to break down teams who are both good AND parking the bus?…

Nice one, Gerry, re: the spell checks and the Specter/Spectre (Spector?) characters… I just enjoy playing with all the Briticisms (as we call them…) It makes me feel a little less bad about my struggles with my 2nd language (Spanish) as I try to reconcile what I learned over the years in Mexico and found out was all wrong in Spain (and now am trying to forget back with mis mexicanos en California…) Also, best of luck with the dogs…

The Visionary see’s a red card coming tonight.

not the first time i’m wrong nor the last @ 17HT πŸ˜‰

ahahahhahahahahahahahaha @ apologizing to the trolls from LiverFOOL – no chance, they should be apologizing to us for forcing a player to stay and play for them when he clearly wants out πŸ˜‰

let’s put it this way, if we’re unable to find a way through “parked buses” then we have enough quality to score from set pieces, thanks to the quality of ooooOOOozil – corners, Fk’s – you name it and the wizard of OZil has got it !

41. Kaboom says:

Top post TA.

After yrs of arsenal’s under performance i think we finally have the chance to send out strong statement. If we can get all three points against napoli, it woukd be a real confident boost for us to win our remaining matches in oct.

42. Dandy says:

Ryo should start on the flank while either of Wilshere or Arteta drops to the bench.

Why dyu feel TV5 should start ahead of Kos, this is our biggest game yet this season, and I fink Kos should start.

And about Gnabry’s ineligibilty, I thought U21s did not need to be registered?

I expect to see the little Mozart at some point in this game.

43. geoffchase says:

JB, Gerry et al,

I think I agreed with JB over the Mirror because lets face it, the Mirror is trash and in theory UEFA know what they are doing? Obviouusly a possibly false assumption?!? πŸ™‚

I agree we do have the quality. My worries:

a. They will stack the middle and try to counter. This will really slow us throug the middle and we are not a “wide” team without Santi and Theo. This hurt us against Swans in how hard it was to get through, tho we did

b. Thus, OG might not score. IF like Swans he and Ozil are followed all night by 1-2 players …

c. This will put serious onus on others. Interestingly, I think one reason AR has scored so much is that every one plays all the “real” players (OG, Theo, JW, Ozil now) tight and leaves him free. I am backing Benitez is smart enough to figure that out. Figure to see them push AR a lot and force us to win with Ozil to OG .. Still could hurt them, which is why I thnk the premise is right..

Hence, I went with 2-0, we are good enough and should be motivated enough for 2 and now would be a good time to have that clean sheet game…

It will not be easy and likely like Swans an arm wrestle of sorts with plenty of worry on the counters here and there. They *can* bite..

Cheers — jgc

007 with his special future reading glasses?… A red card? Flamini or Behrami or somebody not usually prone to the reducer? I dunno, I see a tamer match as I gaze at my crystal ball. (That’s a hair reference for Terry, in case you’re wondering–That Gokhan Inler sure has a nicely shaped scalp… I always fancied him at Arsenal–instead we got his opposite–hair wise at least, Mikel Arteta, those two should be able to keep things calm in MF)…

Re: Pool-trollers on our site back in August… I dunno… At least this past weekend, Suarez looked happier than Rooney (or RvP)…Winning does that I guess… πŸ˜†

We’re not getting the padded headband either, I pray… No worries, I say…I rate Ozil higher than both of them…(And on that note, if Rooney can score consolation goals off FKs in his last two matches, Messy might be due–i.e., that there is your best prediction, I think…)

cheers for the vote of confidence @ JGC πŸ˜‰

but yeah, that was rather bizarre by UEFA, you would expect loads better by an organisation that rakes in millions and billions

the whole confusion was started by these young gunners here :

for those interested, read the comments section there, you will find JGC’s mirror link there as well !

back to the topic :

yep, Rafa sets his teams up in a very solid way, he knows what he wants from his team, however, there is no better tactician out there than AW himself, even though Rafa comes close but hey close but no cigar – right ? ; ) in Wenger we trust, he will set his FB’s higher up the pitch to use the full width of the pitch and engage most of their wingers/MF’s concentrating on our fantastic Fb’s.

i would love to predict a clean sheet but since i know, sir sczny be starting in goal, it makes it that much harder to predict a clean sheet πŸ˜€

Geoff, I think you’re hitting all the correct tactical points. Long cross-fielders from Santi to Theo were like bread and butter at times last season… Agree about other teams just hoping the AR16 would play, well, like he used to… πŸ˜‰ …

Gnabry was starting to do it, Ozil should do it more, but Rosicky does it best… To what do I refer? Dribbling towards Giroud and passing it to him for a return in the box (or a turn and fire)… Of course, you’ve got to get the ball to those guys high enough up the pitch to start it off. I think this will be the protocol tonight. If they don’t come off, however, Napoli will be well poised to break…

let’s hope we manage to keep all 11 on the pitch @ 17HT

yeah, what is it about players having such lovely hair (freakish) styles in the Serie A ? maybe that’s why Mario.Balotelli wanted to go back home and play πŸ™‚

the thing is that if we have Sir Sczny then Napoli have Pepe .R – both have got plenty of mistakes in them , let’s hope we see the Reina is back to his old unreliable self and Sczny has that 1 in 7th Decent game – if, he wants his national team place back from Boruc then he needs to be doing well in the CL.

JB, talking keepers…I have always rated Fabianski (and I too was confident going to spot kicks vs WBA…) but he can have a tendency to stay rooted to his line–or at least he use to. Sir Chez, of course, goes walkabout (and worse…foul-about…) a bit much, but he catches a lot of high balls and we’re certainly not as weak from set-pieces as we were. Give some credit just to his height (along with PM4 and OG12) but his uber-confidence tends to work out on the high one’s, at least…(Didn’t Andy Carroll command 35 million pounds because of one good moment vs Fabs?…)

Speaking of ex-Scouse…For years, people wanted Reina at Arsenal. As you suggest, I too will take our guy tonight, and at least, at his age, he should only get better…

*Pepe and not the Reina

you didn’t do a scoreline prediction yet @ 17HT – come on let’s hear it

Fabianski is not much of a sweeper keeper . along the lines of hugo Lloris, he’s one of the best keepers i have seen, coming off the line and make those fantastic saves, he has been doing it from a very long time – and if truth be told, than i always wanted Hugo at aresenal as opposed to Reina…

Reina had a couple of good seasons really, it helped when he had the likes of Alonso/Mascherano there…but note, how his performances started going downhill after that…..

in hindsight, they should have done an AW and sold him back in 2010 – they must be gutted for not taking the Β£20 million back then.

in regards to Andy.C – you know he’s English and how over-rated and over-priced they are ? he was probably worth no more than 15 million at the time but they got sturridge on the cheap because of his injury record, so that sort of balances it out along with the Suarez capture.

anyhow – our guy still has plenty of time to learn yet, he’s a cocky son of a gun, he will eventually get there but i fear at what expense ? hopefully at the expense of getting red carded for Poland, ha

oh no, already been there and done that, hasn’t he ? in 2012 πŸ™‚

only joking, he’ll be fine with some mental therapy, that is where Glic and TMHT come in handy and as it stands we now have Fozzie B and The Cockie Monster to sort him out as well 😈

according to sky sports, Napoli is a doubt for tonight ?

that’s a shame as i was looking forward to seeing him and firing blanks πŸ™‚

bugger not napoli *Higuain

Bond, Napoli is a doubt for tonight? The whole team? (I think you mean Higuain…)

Also, I’m confused on who Liverpool should’ve brought back… Have you started in on your drinking already…Vodka Martini(s), shaken not stirred? πŸ˜‰

Agreed about LLoris…What’s funny is that with all the buying Totts did this summer I believe their purchases last summer (Lloris, Sigurdsson, Dembele, divey Vertonghen…) may be the real stars of their (entirely) new team… I still think Lloris is gonna get his own red card one of these days and it may be the difference in Spurs trying to keep us in their sights…

55. geoffchase says:

Well

Me and my hoped for stream will take what it can get! Higuain out mmeans we can shut him down in Napoli! πŸ™‚ …

I dont care if they bring out sisters of the poor’s second 11, as long as we win.. Asterisks are for those who complain afterward! πŸ™‚

cheers — jgc

i’m more confused now with your “who liverFOOL should have brought back” liner ? why are we even talking about liverFOOL ahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

yeah, agreed re- Lloris, however , he will still win them games or contribute by saving more goals than conceding really, yep they have been doing some shrewd piece of business from the last 2 years in particular – no doubt

but hey, wait for this one

Adebayor earns 170 k P/w and guess what ? half of that is paid by man $hitty ahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahah

good luck in trying to offload him ahahhahahaahhahahahahahahhahahahahah

i see what you did there @ JGC

real nice and smooth, no worries

Fozzie mark 3 – where art though ? JGC is missing you πŸ˜€

JB, from earlier, I think you were talking about Reina for 20mil…(maybe?) Or generally about selling players for and paying them way too much… like your example, Adebayor. Is that really true that Spurs AND City each pay 80,000+ pounds/week to a guy who doesn’t play AT ALL?… (Game’s gone mad, I tell you, if it is…)

So, it could be…And the selling clubs (Like Napoli and Arsenal, until 12 months ago…) are as strong as ever…

Give me the links again… (I promise to book-mark them this time…) πŸ˜€ 😳

yeah, i was talking about LiverFOOL doing an Arsenal and selling him while he still had a good market value….same like Adebayor…and it’s true what i said about him – i have it on good authority, the earlier Gnabry one, i took for the team in the name of confusion , ha

and here comes another one, if it doesn’t go under moderation….

if both are giving you grief then there’s a more popular one in firstrow – if you need the exact url then let me know

as i thought under moderation (ABOVE)

here you go

you should be alright with these 3, bookmark them – sorted

if they play up then give me a shout πŸ™‚ hopefully your set now .

both wilshere and gnabry on the bench

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Rosicky, Arteta, Ozil, Ramsey, Flamini, Giroud. Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Monreal, Jenkinson, Wilshere, Bendtner, Gnabry

so we control the first half, keep it 0-0 and then come out to play after the 60th minute ?

NO HIQUAIN AT ALL

Napoli: Reina, Britos, Albiol, Callejon, Mesto, Hamsik, Zuniga, Behrami, Inler, Pandev, Insigne. Subs: Cabral, Fernandez, Armero, Cannavaro, Dzemaili, Mertens, Zapata

The bench has got a very defensive look about it? Only Gnabry and Bendtner up fron to change things …

But the Flamteta is the pairing. Don’t want to lose, but Ozil is going to have to be good?

that’s the strongest possible bench @ Gerry

Wilshere on the bench as well, when we need to take out Arteta or Flam’s i reckon – could have possibly had Rosicky but at Wilshere’s expense ?

67. geoffchase says:

And JW

IMO, on form that might be one of our more experienced and attacking formations!

Me like — jgc

me likey likey as well , considering no Higuain –

we need to go for the kill tonight and should be able to get 3 points with the current team.

At least it settles the discus the other day – Gnabry is in the first team squad?

very much so – and i’m very pleased about it !

71. proudgooner says:

I am happy with our team , Arteta and Rosicky coming back is a really good boost. With a decent bench
    COYG do the business πŸ˜‰

72. proudgooner says:

score predictions??

come on you gooners

come on Marseille !

2-2

but i want 3-2 to Arsenal !

Bond, et al., Stream is looking good, espresso machine fired up if we can take a lead into the 2nd period (Italian team, after all…) I’m thinking clean sheet and 1 or 2 goals for the good guys…

All the possession, crowd in good voice…. So far just a couple of corners but both caught by Pepe…

OZIL from Rambo…too easy….

oooooooooooooooooooIOOOOzilllllll

you lil beautyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!

i called it earlier ; ) ha

Giroud needs to be saluted for the hold up work along the touchline as well…

WOW!

79. alcide says:

What a touch from Prince IgΓΆr, that wasn’t a easy shot!

80. alcide says:

Man that is good football were playing right now

81. alcide says:

Omg Γ–zil! giroud!

That’s 2!!!!

Giroud from Ozil!!!!

83. geoffchase says:

Anyone got a non jumpy stream saw the goal but…..

84. alcide says:

There was half an inch to make that pass! Γ–zil is the assist master πŸ™‚

I like the 5 MFs with Wilshere (Santi, Ox, Theo) not even making the team…We seem to have something here… πŸ˜€

Flamini perfect touch on the interception to get it back to Messy…

86. alcide says:

And OG perfect pass and run and finish… Boy I thin I’m now more scared of a good result than if it was 0-0 πŸ™‚ What a start and passing quality right now… Wengerball is back?

87. alcide says:

*scared of a BAD result*

Why’s that Cannavaro brother on the bench…Seems like they could use him, no?

Best twenty mins of Arsenal football I can remember since Sagna (and van Judas) vs 5pur2 πŸ˜†

Uh….That was a RATHER open header off the corner…WTF…(Let off, I’d say…)

90. geoffchase says:

Stream? That works?

91. alcide says:

17ht… Agreed, superb football, and also Kos should indeed have seen that header coming… Let’s not spoil that beautiful start.

92. alcide says:

Hehehe TR7 can tackle from behind like no one

JGC: The first one is working for me…

Ref calling it tight…We should try and take advantage at the other end, if they actually start making some challenges…

Ramsey making a few touches (and a shot) reminding me that he’s actually the same guy who played for us last season… πŸ˜†

Still buzzing from the quick goals, however…

95. alcide says:

Rambo is outstanding… Again…

96. alcide says:

I must say I prefer possession than our parking the bus πŸ™‚ And looks like we haven’t forgotten how to do it…

Ramsey (faking?) injury to get Jack on, given that this one seems o-v-e-r…

Yep, gonna need a half-time cafecito (or a Sir Chez gaffe?…) to keep myself watching this one… πŸ˜€

Good Stuff, eh boys…

99. proudgooner says:

That was just excellent play, just knocking it about lovely. It reminds me of days gone by. Is it just me or do you think the way they were passing has anything to do with Robert Pires?? i think it is the Pires affect, Wenger said he was training with them again, it looks like it too lol πŸ˜‰
    COYG.

100. alcide says:

We’ll I’m grabbing a beer and will enjoy the second half, if we continue at this level I don’t want to miss a minute… What a first half… Quality all over, with Γ–zil twice decisive as scorer and assist-giver… Plus wengerball! Can you tell I’m thrilled πŸ™‚

101. alcide says:

PG,

I must say was thrilled seeing pictures of Robert training with the team, having a ball, all smiles running alongside Γ–zil, so I’ll buy your “it’s the Pires effect” story πŸ™‚

102. proudgooner says:

alcide,
    agreed Rambo has just been amazing again, he has been running his conkers off, he has some engine. Ozil is a wizard 1 more asist and his first gooner goal . it was just perfect play.
    COYG

there was entertaining, but Ramsey seems to be injured ?

i would much rather being Gnabry instead of JW…let’s run right through them !

104. proudgooner says:

Alcide,
    agreed again, it puts a smile on my face too πŸ™‚

105. proudgooner says:

i think i will join you with a cold bottle of bud out of my fridge too. πŸ˜‰

106. alcide says:

Yep… For those who haven’t seen the pics, it’s on the Arsenal website on their latest Arsenal training photoshoot… Any Gooner is guaranteed to feel all fuzzy and warm seeing Robert kicking it out with the team.

107. alcide says:

PG πŸ˜‰

108. proudgooner says:

BD 1-0 up Lewendolski. lets hope the Frenchmen can win or get a draw then we will be clear at the top.

109. alcide says:

Lewandowski gave the lead to BD in the meantime.

I hope we keep a clean sheet. That’s well overdue, and I’d like to have an easy second half, with flowing football and no scares! You never know with Benitez, and they do have some quality… Maybe it’ll start showing hehe

110. alcide says:

Let’s stay sharp, COYG!

What is it with you guys and Budweiser? We travel over there in search of “real ale” (bitters) while you guys like our rice-flavored beer…

Oh boy, gotta work on my Ramsey “apology” post after he looked up and picked the pass. Great near post run by Rosicky left Messy in acres…

alcide, I completely agree that Ramsey has stepped into the openings that occur when defenders key on the guys they’re scared of… Ozil and Sicky have all played as key guys for years in Int’l football, Wales usually isn’t as scary even if AR has been their main guy…

Haha, having said that Sicky whiffs after good work from Ollie…. 😳

112. alcide says:

Jesus, is Γ–zil good or is he amazing?

113. alcide says:

I’m on Belgian beer!

114. alcide says:

Flamini is a mean DM πŸ™‚

115. alcide says:

Looks like we decided to keep playing great football…

Belgian beer I like…

The thing about Ozil is that he can run–pace, of course, but also he knows when to cut down his stride and gather himself for making the correct touch. Ramsey, Wilshere, Giroud and Arteta (and so might Cesc if he were with us…) can learn plenty just watching him…

On another note…Not much pressure tonight but is SCSZ’s kicking getting better?

117. geoffchase says:

We have EXCELLENT shape and hustle

Oh and 17 bud is owned by in Bev (Stella and Jupiler) and currently very popular here..

118. geoffchase says:

Look at how well we hold form and shift.. Always numbers in front and always one aggressor after it with pressure

That’s how it’s done on the D side,

119. alcide says:

On Duvel at the moment, out of Chimay bleue…

120. geoffchase says:

And you can visually see the confidence thru the stream!

Callejon volley means trouble up in Row S or T… Only Napoli player doing much of anything?…

Sicky giveaway made good by Napoli doing likewise and Ozil too slick…Corner well defended there–tall skinny kid decides early and catches the floater…

Ozil set piece almost does a Rooney… Reina > Boaz-Myhill…

Too bad about Budweiser buying up those Belgian brands…Stella = higher alcohol content than most ‘merican brands…Thanks for the JMesque analysis there, JGC…

Yeah, I like the Trappist stuff…

Speaking of Belgians…Mertens in, Pandev out…

Arteta looking very rusty, didn’t sense the challenge coming…Insigne almost curls it onto target…These guys look content going home only losing by two…

123. geoffchase says:

And this looks like the right time to sub a very active TR for a refreshed JW
    …..

124. alcide says:

JW for TR7… A few missed passes, but he accelerates the game every touch… Good first game back πŸ™‚

Go Jack,

125. geoffchase says:

Alcide

Karmaliet Triple pour moi!

126. alcide says:

And a little Maes Pils before going to bed? πŸ˜›

Giroud NOT doing the hand waving thing…uh, oh…

No, he’s fine…I guess he’s expanding his fake injury repetoire… πŸ˜†

It would be nice to get Jack a goal (or an assist)…Sicky with a fine hour of contribution… His near post run and tackling from behind always welcome…

128. alcide says:

Good replacement, Napoli can’t seem to counter attack with any efficiency…

129. geoffchase says:

Alcide

If I need number two to celebrate I’ve a choice of westmalle, la chouffe, and a rochefort 10!!

That said, JW looks freshened and that last counter was SHARP ,

130. alcide says:

All they manage is attempt shots at 30+

131. geoffchase says:

Zorro robbed!!! Great save by Reina

And I like Maes actually,

Mertens corner delivery not quite Gnabry-esque…Insigne might think about passing once in a while…

Decent from Jack on our counter…

Reina ROBS Kos (Arteta from Ozil…)

A 3rd would seem fitting, I think…

133. geoffchase says:

Benitez clearing the bench!

More subs please…

Here on the West Coast all the “micro” breweries (not so micro any longer…) have a “Belgian Style” beer… πŸ™„

When I visited the real stuff (from the monks…) seemed awfully good…Memory is hazy, however… πŸ˜€

135. geoffchase says:

In the Us if it’s “Belgian Style” and not Ommegang from upstate NY, it isn’t the real deal! πŸ™‚

136. Xavier says:

Just curious. Have they taken a single shot from inside our box yet?? I don’t recall any… #Defence

137. alcide says:

Come on, a clean sheet to finish this off nicely.

138. Xavier says:

Napoli playing this half how they shoulda started the game. And somehow we’re still better. I think.

139. geoffchase says:

Xavier

According to this, three

At 80mins or so..

My legs won’t let me run enough to drink much beer these days…Bike ride this afternoon to see the turning Aspen, instead, then maybe one or two of Bond’s sauces while I catch up on our lovely American politics (Gov’t shutdown–again πŸ™„ …)

Ramsey saluted as he comes off for Nacho…

Akpom for Ollie? Or welcome home Nicky?… 😯

141. alcide says:

Yep, they’re not really threatening, just pressing a bit better πŸ™‚

Kos, immaculate to the end…

Looks like we’ll keep the clean sheet but * because no Higuain…

143. geoffchase says:

Asterisks are for losers to explain… When we win without half a team does the other side say, but, yeah, they were missing half their squad! Do we???

144. geoffchase says:

Clean sheet!

Full time…Cheers for the chat, boys…

JGC, if you’re coming to California bring some of that beer, eh? πŸ˜€

146. geoffchase says:

Damus had it at 2-0 without Higuain, 2-1 with… πŸ˜›

147. geoffchase says:

I’ll be in Burlingame, Palo Alto October 30 – Nov 6… Not sure if beer will “keep” that long! 😦

148. alcide says:

Take care 17ht!

Hehehe jgc

Reina and Arteta talking after the fact…That’s how it is in Spain…Either you’ve got the hair or it’s gone early… πŸ˜†

Ozil lifting the club and duck is broken… Rosicky and Ramsey and Giroud (pre-assist and finish). A true 4-5-1 tonight looked quite functional…

United slayers, er, Baggies, but we have to wait for Sunday, then Int’ls 😦

Quick trip to Tahoe, Geoff?… Or maybe I’ll need to visit my (ancient) folks in Berkeley. SF gooners in North Beach is a good time, if you can only sneak away for a weekend morning…

See you alcide…

150. alcide says:

Well great game lads… The first 20 minutes weren’t far off perfection, as the sumptuous volley, and laser cut assist from Γ–zil – pure class.

151. proudgooner says:

β€œAnd it’s Arrrrrseeeenal! *clap-clap-clap*
    Arsenal F.C.! We’re by FAR the greatest team the world has ever seen!”

152. proudgooner says:

β€œWe all follow the Arsenal over land and sea (and Leicester)! We’ll follow the Arsenal unto victory! (all together now)”

153. proudgooner says:

If i ever have kid, they will be there nursery ryme’s before bed ha ha ah ha

I can’t quite leave the post-match….

Ozil goal up against Draxler’s for goal of the night…Don’t we have him on loan at Schalke?…

Even Ian Wright, in the studio, talking up the Arsenal…Nice, humble interviews from Mikel and Ollie as well as the manager…Jaime Carragher also talking us up, I think… Subtitles (almost) necessary…

OK, gotta run (or ride…)

155. alcide says:

Hehehehe

Can’t wait for the march report and talk about:

Wengerball
    Can Mozart and Γ–zil hit it together
    Can MA8 and Flam play together?
    Did RM buy the wrong welsh?
    Is Γ–zil worth 42.5m?

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

COYG!

156. proudgooner says:

Last chant of the night goes to Boss la Professor for 17 years of loyalty and hard work thank you boss!
    β€œOne Arsene Wenger! There’s only one Arsene Wenger! One Arsene Weeeeenger! There’s only one Arsene Wenger!”

157. alcide says:

Nice bday gift indeed PG

158. alcide says:

Ok, I’m off, take care guys!

159. proudgooner says:

Alcide,
    agreed he deserves it more then anyone. The players love him , we have the best manager in the league . As a result we can attract the best players at the moment and the Wenger football brand is the best in the league and up there with the best in the world. The thought of getting Cazorla- Walcott – Podolski Diarby back to add to this at the moment is very exciting.

160. proudgooner says:

goodnight alcide

161. alcide says:

Last thing… Shame on balotelli… Fouls the defender and claims penalty, gets it, and robs Ajax of a win at the 94th…

162. proudgooner says:

I hope the Pires affect is here to stay, i am sure Wengr will drum it in them anyway. It would be nice if Pires got a coaching role at the club.

Evening guys πŸ™‚

I travelled back from London when the game was being played and have yet to see anything of it. So no match report from me. If anybody would like to write a few lines about the match, feel free to do so πŸ™‚

Great to see Arsenal so efficient and produce the knock-out blow to Napoli sooo early in the game. By the sounds of it the Ozil goal was a beauty and I cannot wait to watch the highlights in the morning. And a clean sheet too!!!!

Happy days! πŸ™‚

164. macko says:

superb match Γ–zil, flamini, sagna in flames tonight πŸ™‚
    We have mastered Naples from beginning to end, it was great, we love Arsenal πŸ™‚
    a happy birthday to Giroud and to our favorite coach Arsene Wenger
    GO GUNNERS

165. JM says:

(Posted by Arteta)

166. Macko says:

hello friends, one of you can give me them word that sings the supporters during games please (the song on Arsenal only)

167. alexgunners says:

Hi All!!!!!

What a wonderful day to be supporting this amazing team the call
    THE ARSENAL.

A dominant first half coupled with a controlled second half.
    In my opinion, the ultimate game. Napoli never got into the game and we were on the ball right from the start. Second half we could have applied more pressure but the team were confident of seeing out the match. We could have scored a third goal as early as the 1st minute of the second half.

Time to rest up and prepare for this weekend’s game against West Brom.

Great performance all round and a clean sheet to top it off.

COYG

168. alexgunners says:

MACKO,

Here is a site with some of the chants that you may be looking for.

I hope this is helps

169. oz gunner says:

Morning all.

Agree Alex. Reminds me of the Arsenal of old (rip teams open early then control the rest of the game). Some of the link up plays were a joy to watch. I’ve been walking around all day with an erection after that Ozil shot. The skill to pull that off with his first touch…jesus. Best finish I’ve seen from an Arsenal player since Dudu’s beach-like goal.

Ahhhhhhh…tis good being an Arsenal supporter!!!

170. alexgunners says:

OZ,

I had no problem facing today despite the lack of sleep. What a shot by Ozil. Not easy but he just took it and he knew where the ball was going. The assist for OG which followed after pressing the Italians high on their end of the pitch was a pleasure to watch.

Speaking of Dudu, I would love to see his goal sink ManUre tomorrow.
    Dudu, what could have been if it wasn’t for some hack. His touches and shots were a pleasure to watch as well.

171. The Cockie Monster says:

Interesting Oz……so I take it you have to have your bedroom plastered with photo`s of Ozil and Skippy if the missus wants some Ozilicious thrusting time !. hahaha

172. Morning all

i have a wide smile plastered on my face..and its not going away any time soon!!

what a performance from the ENTIRE team!!!..no none put in a bad shift..classic Arsenal in the opening half and bould-y in the second half

Arsene’s joy 4 the Ooooozil!!! goal was just top notch..as if his OWN son had scored!!

the ‘feel-good’ factor is definately back at the grove..can’t wait for the away trip to the hawthorns..

never prouder 2 be a gooner!!!

173. alcide says:

Excellent recap Gerry, I’m waiting (hoping) for a full pre-match to comment, but I’ve just seen (again) the replay of the first goals, and Γ–zil’s goal is just outstanding – to hit and score a half-volley from a cross coming fast and bouncing low from opposite your strong foot… is simply absolute class. You can try that one 10 times in training and not come close.

Same for the second goal, there was a tiny spot in space and time to make that pass through a clutch of defenders to rushing Ollie, and Γ–zil just nailed it perfectly (as did OG, he made a perfect run to be in the right spot at the perfect time, beating 2 defenders in the process. He looks slow at times, but actually manages a little burst of speed when needed, and his power does the rest.

Still buzzing from the first 20 minutes πŸ™‚

New Post πŸ™‚

Gerry’s comment has been removed from this post but is used in the new one. Too good to waste at the back end of a post! πŸ™‚

175. Fozzie B says:

Me likey likey cockie!!! No no no no .. That came out wrong!! Me likey likey the “p is for poosy and poosy is for me!!” PG stevey b eye liner is still cockies favourite … After the revlon lippy run!!!
    πŸ˜†