Do Arsenal already have their own ‘Schweini’?

Bastian+Schweinsteiger+6fL8btJ1cpsm

If the events on Tuesday night and the previous weekend tell us anything, it is that a result should never be taken too seriously. Yet we all love to draw big conclusions from single events; and it’s even better when two single events have the same outcome…. it might lead to a fine theory; or it is often the conception – or the reinforcement – of our very own hobby horse(s).

The Dortmund loss does not make us doomed for winning the CL this year; and beating Villa comprehensively does not make us strong candidates for claiming this season’s PL title. Cups and titles are won by the OGAAT approach: one game at a time, leaving the past behind.

The season has only just begun, and it is hard to draw any conclusions on how it will end for Arsenal. The player purchases have been good to fantastic, although we left ourselves potentially a bit vulnerable at the centre of defence and midfield (DM). The late return of WC stars/relatively short preparation for the new season, the two CL qualification games and the international break – just when the PL got started – have all hindered Arsene in putting his stamp on the team and properly implement his chosen style of play, formation (4-1-4-1) and team tactics.

He clearly is still working on getting his new 4-1-4-1 formation to become the footballing machine he has in mind. The combos of Wilshere, Ozil, Ramsey and Sanchez, or Ox, Rosicky, Santi and Diaby/Campbell – or any combination as you see fit – have great potential. With the right man in front of them – OG, Welbeck, Walcott, Akpom? – and a solid player behind them, this could become a deadly, all concurring midfield foursome.

The notion that Arsene is compromising the effectiveness of the team in order to fit Ozil, Wilshere and Ramsey in, is incorrect. In my opinion, it is actually the other way round: he had a plan and got the players to execute it: and the signing of Alexis has been the icing on the cake.

I am starting to like the idea, advocated by the likes of Gerry (who partly inspired this post) and others, that Wenger is actually after a ‘footballing DM’ – a Bastian Schweinsteiger type, rather than a classical ‘destroyer’ type – but is either undecided who this should be, or has not been able to get his man as yet. However, after years of waiting for a DM, I do not know what to believe anymore.

He might, of course, also be working behind the scene to get one of his current midfielders to adapt to this role. I have no doubt that Diaby could be our ‘Schweini’ but we all know it would be mad to bank on this. Whoever plays the sole, deeper laying midfield role will need to be super fit and able to play (almost) every week. With the best will in the world, this is not going to happen for Abou this season, if at all.

Arteta and Flamini have each been played in the deeper role but they both have limitations, and are best used as back-up going forward. Arteta is the sort of player who initially gets better the longer he plays, and he might now enter a good spell. But I seriously doubt whether he can be our fulcrum in midfield for the whole season. I believe it would be a big mistake to bank on one of Arteta (sorry 17HT 🙂 ), Flamini or Diaby to fill this very important position, or indeed to simply believe that between the three of them the role will be covered this season. In the big games, we need a big player in the Schweini role.

An interesting sub-development is the imminent re-emergence of Theo into the team. Once fully fit he is likely to get a starting role in most games. It will either be as our sole CF, which I very much doubt, or as our (free-to-roam?) right (or even left) ‘winger’. If the latter is the case, one of Jack, Mesut, Alexis and Aaron will have to move…

And I reckon it could be Rambo: not to the bench, but, here it comes….. in the Schweini role. He really has everything in his locker to make it there. This is predominantly a gut feeling, just based of having seen both players in action. But looking at ‘Whoscored’, both players are rated with the similar strengths (both, notably, have no weaknesses, indicating their ‘all-roundness):

Strengths – Very Strong Strengths – Strong Style of Play
Ramsey Passing, Defensive Contributions Key passes, Holding on to the ball Likes to do lay-offs, likes to dribble, likes to tackle
Schweinsteiger Passing, Direct Free-Kicks Key passes, Long Shots Likes to do lay-offs

Ramsey has a slightly inferior passing accuracy (this season 85.9%) than Schweinsteiger (last season an incredible 89.9% – he has yet to play this season), and also wins les aerial duels per game (0.8 v 2). The latter could be explained by the height difference or the positions both have been playing in – Ramsey is half a decimetre smaller. But then, Ramsey scores and assists a lot more than Schweinsteiger: 10 goals and 7 assists in 20 PL games v 4 goals and 4 assists in 22 Bundesliga matches last season. The latter could be explained by Ramsey playing in a more attack-minded midfield role than Schweini.

images (2)

When you read ‘Whoscored?’ valuation of Ramsey you cannot help but think that sounds like a good all-round, defensive minded midfielder to me: defensive contributions, holding on to the ball, likes do lay-offs, likes to tackle…

Clearly, Ramsey’s ability to make clever, timely runs into the box as well as finishing off chances should also have been added to Ramsey’s strengths by Whoscored?. And the question remains whether playing Aaron deeper would deprive us too much of his goals and assists this season. But I would like us to try Ramsey in the sole, deeper laying midfield role a few times and see how he will do. He has the stamina and the passion, and all the necessary skills; and let’s hope he can stay injury free this season.

I have a feeling he would be a revelation and might even become our very own Schweini.

What do you think, fine fellow Gooners?

Written by: TotalArsenal.

68 Responses to Do Arsenal already have their own ‘Schweini’?

1. Neeraj says:

Great piece TA,
    I love your idea and myself have been thinking about it quite a few months now but with each passing match im piece by piece giving the idea up.
    The main reason has been (people might wanna put me on a guillotine for saying this) his phenominal scoring last season .
    Due to that he is so used to making runs into the box that I dont think he is going to stop doing it and why should he !
    But then that makes Arsenal’s biggest wound even bigger – getting caught on the counter
    So though I myself love the idea I also think it might just be a little late and also might be a waste of a phenomenal goalscoring talent
    Well u might say Schweini doest it but we have to remeber Schweini plaus against Hamburg, Freiberg, n all the other bergs/burgs in Germany

Neeraj 🙂

Glad you like it and that you have had similar ideas. Good point about Ramsey’s forward runs leaving us vulnerable. But it is a case of asking him to stay back and/or having arrangements in place that when he goes forward others fall back (Jack or Alexis for example).

3. Panther says:

The 4/1/4/1 formation does not fit Arsenals players especially the defensive midfield they have ayttheir disposal. 4/2/3/1 brings the best out of the key players in the team who are Ramsey and Ozil. Wenger is trying to shoe horn Wilshete and Ramsey into the same team, which is idiotic management. I think Wilshere and Ramsey can play in the same team but only if Wilshere plays in the number 10 role behind the striker. Rotation is the key to success and if that means rotating Ramsey with Wilshere in the 2 in front of the back four or rotating Wilshere with Ozil in the number 10 role behind the striker.

Oooh! That is a bit left field TA?

It does have some merit, so not to be sniffed at out of hand. He certainly has the stamina for the job. But does he read the game well enough? My fear would be that he is more ‘reactive’ rather than ‘proactive’?
    His current form is a serious worry too, but that is a passing phase. It would solve the conundrum of fitting Wilshere into the same team, without clogging the middle of our offensive operations I suppose? It would also rob us of those late runs and goals to a large extent?

My gut feeling says No, but he might be an interim possibility.

Of course, there is the possibility of my comparison to SB may emerge out of tomorrow night’s game, i.e. Isaac Hayden.
    But first he would have to be selected for that position of DM, and there may be some doubt if both CB’s are rested? I have a feeling that Per will play alongside Chambers, Bellerin and Coquelin as the FB’s. That would leave Hayden free to partner Flamini. The CAM role will be interesting, but likely JW v SC, flanked by Rosicky and Campbell perhaps? With Akpom as the lone striker. The bench will be choked with stars left out, but one exception could be Zelalem?

I doubt AW will want to risk too many ahead of the NLD, but the above would be 6 changes from those that took part on Saturday, plus Flamini, and with Alexis on the bench. There could be a slightly different line up if AW does not want to risk Gibbs first, and either Le Coq or Hector as LB, in which case B54 could get a run out, and would do the best Gibbs impression of all possibilities? Another, is the glimpse into the future CB pairing of Hayden and Chambers?

Anyway, those would be my key players to start, along with Ospina, and a really, really strong bench, that could see Walcott and Diaby, alongside Alexis and Zelalem?

5. ScottishGooner says:

Interesting TA, i really hope not though. While i understand the comparison i see Rambo more of a Lampard player. He see’s things differently, he can anticipate being in the right place at the right time and as some of his goals last season can contest- can score a wide range of goals.

The problem im seeing this season is AW is so hellbent on playing both Ramsey and Wilshere he is trying to accommodate both and this is forcing one of them to play more defensive to allow the other to attack. The problem with this is, as testified in the last England friendly- Wilshere doesnt have that defensive contribution that you need, what i now see is Ramsey being more conservative. He now lets Wilshere make these darting runs in because his defensive game is better than Wilshere’s.

The problem in this is AW is stifling his best player to allow wilshere to play in the more advanced role. I think that to compete in four competitions you need squad depth and having both Wilshere and Ramsey in the team isnt a bad thing. What we need to do is allow our best players to play where they play best. Sanchez on the Wing, Walcott on the right, Ozil in the hole and Ramsey box to box. We cant take reduce his attacking game, simply put Wilshere doesnt have that instinctive positioning that Ramsey has and always has had.

As you know im a big fan of Diaby in this role and as a backup i would have loved Chambers, i think he has that ability to thrive in that position- With Debuchy now confirmed out for 3 months i can see some signings in January- Rumour has it, its Khedra- who i see as too similar to Ramsey.

6. Alcide says:

Nice, TA!

“I am starting to like the idea, advocated by the likes of Gerry (who partly inspired this post) and others, that Wenger is actually after a ‘footballing DM’ – a Bastian Schweinsteiger type, rather than a classical ‘destroyer’ type”

I am convinced of that – both that this is what Arsene is looking for (although Arsene mentioned a “Vieira type” last time), and this is what we need. I have a few times said that the first thing I want our next DM to be an Arteta with pace, with the destroyer thing a more distant second (especially with Per being slow, etc…).

As for Diaby – reports that he has been “doing a late pre-season” on his own for a few weeks tell me he may be in Arsene’s plans? Yes, knowing his history, one cannot trust him to play all games and he shouldn’t be “the solution” at this stage, but he may not need to – Arteta can hold the fort against many teams – to me he is either dominant (against the lesser teams) and it is only against big ones (or some typically fast countering ones) that he becomes completely dominated (there’s no middle ground with him). I really hope Diaby will be on the pitch vs. Southampton. Anyway the position may also benefit Diaby in that it may be a little less harsh on his fragile body compared to a box-to-box?

As for Rambo, I personally like the idea very much. I don’t know if you have changed your mind TA, but I remember you saying last year that he was not good enough at tackling – where in fact he was our best tackler, and had very good stats vs. other DMs (apologies if my memory is failing). I am sure he would be great in that role BUT we would have to lose a significant share of those goals/assists. It may benefit the team as a whole but it’s a risky trade-off.

hahahaha Gerry, you just cannot keep from talking about tomorrow’s game. I was wondering whether you have any time to do us a match preview for tomorrow?

Back in a bit. 🙂

9. Alcide says:

Arsene on Debuchy:

“He has had surgery and will be out for three months,” Wenger told Arsenal.com. “A reasonable delay is three months.
    “It all went well, but it can be a week or two earlier or a week or two later, but it will be around three months.”

10. Alcide says:

And on the CoC:

“On Tuesday night you might see Hector Bellerin, Francis Coquelin and Isaac Hayden. In the squad we have Chuba Akpom and Semi Ajayi as well. These are the players that are the closest.”

No word on Diaby but he was questioned about “young players who could feature”.

Nacho, Yaya will be back after the international break, same for Theo and Serge (back to full training after the break).

So, Debuchy out for three months – -as I feared from the start.

So tomorrow will probably shape our future RB. If Bellerin doesn’t make the Chambers mistakes that he did against Villa, he will likely keep the spot, with Calum covering the CB role?
    Or Coquelin gets some time at RB for a chance to play regularly.

12. Alcide says:

Really bad news about Nacho :/

TA – I practically gave you a pre-view above 😀 But yes, it will be fine.
    I am basking in the relief that tomorrows D-Day has been postpone for up to a month 😀 😀 😀

14. ScottishGooner says:

@Gerry- Id rather we play Bellerin there than play Le Coq. I think if our long term plans are to have him be our “future” well he isn’t going to get better experience than right now.
    Le Coq, for me, doesnt cut the grade as a CDM- he’ll likely be even worse out of position.

Bellerin now has the time and the chance to make the role his own- hopefully he can do that. Im hoping that he curbs his attacking instincts. Pace for days though.

Here’s what I think…Arteta is betta (in this role) and this is (one reason) why AW has made him captain… 😀 If you’re looking for a young gun to do the job, take a look at what Mr. Hodgson is thinking…i.e., JW is your man… On those occasions when physicality and size and heading ability might be needed, I continue to be pleased with the early progress of Calum Chambers…

There’s a big gap between 80 year old Arteta (and Diaby who borrows his zimmerframe…) and the youngsters in the squad–even if Gerry surely will be stumping for Isaac Hayden as I write this… We need a real quaterback or deep lying playmaker with a measure of physicality in the spot and they seem few and far between–but you’ve picked a great example in BS. His new back-up Xabi Alonso, is another. I haven’t watched enough of a certain WC playing his football in Portugal, but reports suggesting that we just wouldn’t pay the ransom (like a certain JD now playing at Schalke in the previous window) suggest that he might be one for the future…

For me, the issue is maturity. As players are coming up they are ALL the very best footballer amongst their peers. As they join others from similar backgrounds they have to temper their individual ambitions to those of the squad, even if the urge to get forward and into the statistics (assists and goals) is still very pressing. Ramsey’s shooting and first touch play has ALWAYS been very ambitious even if it was only last year that it started to come together. When it goes wonky in the opponents half it just wastes time and looks silly; if it goes bad deeper in ours, boom, it’s a scoring chance the wrong way… This we cannot afford, esp. if we’re trotting out slower sorts like the BFG (and the ancient Capitan…) When Rambo had his struggles the apt quote was, “his 2nd touch is a tackle…”

It’s all about knowing when to play safe and when to take risks and, for me at least, despite being the younger of the two, Jack is ahead of Ramsey on this account. The physicality–or stature at least–is lesser, but he knows how to use his body–and even his head, see the assist vs ManCity–and if he can choose his spots better for getting help from the ref, I think he’s the man. As such a one of Jack with a 4 of Ozil, Rambo, Alexis and Theo (with “old-man” back-ups Santi and Sicky) is the next generation of our MF, IMO. (Old man back-ups at DM, as you suggest are Arteta, Flamini and Diaby.)

Anyhow, that’s about as deep as I can go. Nice post, btw…

Sorry HT, didn’t you say you were preparing a preview for tomorrow?

Absolutely not, Gerry…preparing a match preview, that is…WTF do I know about all these youngsters?…

Lots of agreement in the comments I see, my take is close to that of SG and Alcide, more or less, I think…

In truth, I believe AW wants a fluid 5 in MF (or even 6, if you include the “1” up top) with players covering and filling for one another in a constant buzzing motion. It worked pretty well on Saturday after the first 20 mins of cheap giveaways, I thought…

18. ScottishGooner says:

17HT- I think you’re right but I think there are very few players can play this role. Talk of WC filling this role is apt in my opinion. He is strong can play the ball and can shield the back. The problem in a fluid 5 midfield I think is at some point someone isnt going to remember their defensive duty and had Dortmund had their shooting boots on we could have been on another end of a big hiding.

I appreciate what he’s looking for but what we need is out offensive player to have the freedom to attack without worrying about tracking back. If we had a WC or a Yann M’villa to break up play but not venture past the half way line, I think our front 5 would have the freedom to really hurt opponents. What we need is Harmony/balance in our team. Someone like Blind would have been ideal, Strootman is fantastic if a little offensive. One of the most underrated players would have been De Rossi (5 years ago)

Gerry 🙂

One of Aaron’s strengths is his positioning which can only come with a good ability to read the game (that’s why he also makes good runs into the box). I am serious, Aaron could be our Schweini. 🙂

Sorry Panther, 4-1-4-1 it will be this season, and we do have the players for it.

Good points SG, but look at what a fine role Schweini has at Bayern and Germany. Surely it would suit Aaron well and all his qualities could come out?

Yes Alcide, I have noticed his tackling has become a lot better and his positioning is also good. He has the engine and I am sure he will be allowed to make forward runs now and again (obviously with a team mate covering him). IF we are after a Schweini type player then I reckon Aaron comes close: worth a try, at least?!

Cheers Gerry – looking fwd to it. 🙂

Good points 17 🙂

I dont think this role would suit Jack too much. There is a lot of running involved which suits Rambo really well.

Good point about maturity, 17. That is key and Ramsey might still have to learn more before he could take on a role like that.

26. steve says:

Please god no!! lol
    I was waiting all summer for either a stronger quicker version of Arteta – Schneiderlin
    Or an all out warrior – Carvalho
    Or BOTH!! to tactically change between depending on the opposition.

Now your telling me Ramsey might be a good option lol lol, you’re killing me TA lol
    The reason BS is so good in that role is that he is not only a talented footballer like Ramsey but he is also 6ft plus, built like a brick shit house and plays with Koscielny’s “i’m gonna kill every fucker” attitude the whole game. This is not Ramsey TA, no matter how you want to slice it lol. I think we had better keep looking outside the club on this one, its a new role this “1” in DM and as such cannot be satisfied by either of the players that used to make up the “2” in DM it requires a player the club has not had for a while.

Just my two cents, enjoyable read though TA even if i don’t really agree with the conclusion 🙂

27. steve says:

COC – 4-1-3-2!!!!!! hahaha I WISH!! 😆
    All out attack!!

———–Akpom——–Campbell————-
    ——OX———-Diaby———Wilshere—-
    ——————–Hayden———————–
    Gibbs—Koscielny—Chambers—Bellerin
    ——————-Martinez———————–

Cheers Steve 🙂

Yep I like a beast of a DM as well, but I don’t think Schweini is like that. Agreed on his height which helps a lot of course. But if we are looking for a different sort of midfielder than a more classic DM, then Ramsey could be the man. At least it would be good to try it. Against Dortmund, for example, I think he would have done a really good job in that role.

Not quite young Steve, but the right idea. I think AW is prepared to lose this one if the young guns cannot carry it off?
    Preview will be ready shortly …

30. steve says:

TA, Maybe if we get him in the gym and then force him to listen to Cockie’s jokes for weeks on end we could build him up enough and get him mentally enraged enough to hold that role and still be a technically good footballer at the same time. 🙂

Gerry, I hope so mate! I’m looking forward more to this game than the game against Villa – there’s something fucking wrong with me!! I’ve just been itching to see the players i feel have the potential to be great from the youngsters get a chance to prove it 🙂

31. steve says:

Its so refreshing commenting here, every other site i have a natter on is absolutely full of these leaked celeb pics and vids (not the old ones, the new ones – fappening 2). Its fun and all but becomes boring fast when they are everywhere!!

Before we pivot to the CoC match, and it does appear to be on the US telly, tomorrow, but only on tape delay. The match they’re choosing to show live is Liverpool-Middlesboro… :smirk:

Drawing from the discussion in the previous thread… I think the development of youth players is one of the most critical, yet most overlooked elements in the new pyramid of wealth in European Club football… JM can probably illuminate better, but my take is that players (and agents and 3rd party owners…) are, in essence, competing for those lottery winner salaries. As such, at every level except the very top, shining a spotlight on oneself is more important than being a great team player. Luckily, stats are getting better and video too, but still…

Very young players (who mostly play in the U-21s) are closer to the first team than at the ridiculously stacked, silly money clubs (where stalwarts like our fine French fullbacks, Sagna and Clichy can share the position with other world-class players). As such, matches like tomorrow’s ARE interesting. Still, as maybe the match at Dortmund proved, bringing in even one of them (Bellerin, in that case) can take away from the product on the pitch. Far easier is buying them ready-made (see Debuchy, for example, for a month before getting hurt, while Jenks is sent over to WHU)… This is why I often say, “our guy, currently on loan at…” when referring to players to whom we’ve been linked…

Arsenal are working the fringes of the top-end of the market and certain positions are easier to fill than others. At present, Central defenders seem at a premium while strikers who can both score and bring others into play are as well… #10 types, because there are so many of them doing quality work in the lesser leagues, are a part of the market which seems (relatively) flooded. Trying to move them around (to the wings or into the DM spots–the subject here, I think) is less easy and is where the more subtle eye is required…

Anyhow, just an observation–and one that causes TONS of frustration for many. Some want us to splash the cash and outbid the Sheik-o-garchs, long term financial issues be damned. Others express their frustration by (blithely, IMO) suggesting that the kids can’t do any worse than the more mature players who make up the core (first 18-20) of our squad At least we try and move them around in the various formations and line-ups and I agree with Steve that besides being kinda fun (sometimes) it’s very nice the site doesn’t sell advertising. On the other hand I disagree about being less excited (or at least worried/anxious…) about tomorrow’s match than the one played Saturday or the ones which are to follow… 😉

33. The Cockie Monster says:

Evening Brokeback Buggery Bastards !. 😀
    Some of tomorrows team of youngsters can be guessed if you look at who`s missing from tonight`s U21 game !.

Steve 🙂

Three years ago or so, when Ramsey was almost universally criticised, I said that he would come good but in the box to box role (rather than in the hole). Very few agreed with me then. Now, I feel he has developed to the next stage and I would not be too surprised if he will be played in the deeper DM role (within the 4-1-4-1 formation) soon …..and really be good at it. It is just a gut feeling and I could be completely wrong, but if I am right you will buy me a week’s holiday on the Isle of Wight, right?! 😆

Evening Cockie….come on then give us tomorrow’s starting eleven! 😛

Sensible observations, senventeenho. 🙂

Yes the blog is advertisement free and I cover the cost myself. I get approached regularly for advertising space but it is not worth it financially compared to the nuisance factor it brings. However, I will start a link with a charity that is close to my heart soon, asking regular bloggers to make a donation if they wish to do so. 🙂

The TGM obviously missed my earlier correction TA.

You will have mail as soon as I can c&p to an outgoing mail.

Not many headline grabbers though?

Cheers Gerry. I will issue it tonight as this post seems dead in the pan… But you heard it here first! 😛

Not sure I understand your first sentence, Gerry? 😕

40. steve says:

A holiday on the isle of wight!! hahaha 😆
    You want to come and see the live action version of the “Hills Have Eyes” do you TA?? 😆
    You crazy fool 🙂

41. The Cockie Monster says:

Totes !….so you think I get more pleasure from The Spuds losing than Arsenal winning !.
    I will always want an Arsenal win first and foremost against a Spud loss !……..unless they are playing us !.
    Arsenal winning is like the best times with your wife and family, a Spud loss is like taking your Beyoncé look-a-like mistress from behind…..yes, it is more pleasurable, but you always go back to the loving wife and family !. hahaha
    I like all the financial chat on the previous post, but I haven’t the time to read all that “Swiss Rambler” death by reading, personally I think it`s better when someone puts it in a few sentences in plain English and that`s why Perry Groves pre TW quote sums it all up best !……..” we have £200/220M to spend on players !”. hahaha

Hills have eyes hahaha

43. proudgooner says:

I think Chambers will be Arsene’s DM in future once he has signed a couple more defenders
    Ramsey shoild be able to play his natural game and we need his goals too much.
    Chambers unlike Ramsey is being schooled at defending in many positions and his mind set will be to do this, so moving him into a DM carries no risk and he can be great at it.
    Last season when i watched us in the COC he started Hayden in the DM along side Arteta. I think he will do the same tomw night.

44. The Cockie Monster says:

As for DM business !…….I want a beast, an UMF who will fcuk the other players WAG`s, fcuk Wenger, fcuk Gazidis, fcuk Kroenke and his hillbilly inbred wife/sister, fcuk the tea lady, fcuk his own family and most of all….fcuk the opposition !…….that would have been me 30 years ago ! 😳 so they need a young Monster !…..I`ve still got it though…….any of you seen this Football Golf craze ?…..it`s like golf, it`s on a course, but you use a football and kick it instead of using golf clubs !. I was invited to one and turned up in my full Arsenal kit !. I done my pre-match warm up of rubbing in whitehorse oils and ralgex, headbutting the lockers and punching the walls with my flesh coloured concealed knuckle dusters !. I was sent off on the first tee for scything down an opponent as he went to take his first kick and banned for life !.

45. steve says:

Do we think AW will stick with the 4-1-4-1 for the COC game?

46. The Cockie Monster says:

Is it the same all over Britain that all these eastern european car washes start from a fiver ?……unless you`re on the Isle of White !………..at sixfingers car wash !……..”how much a wash, steve ? “…………..he sticks his hand up and says …..” starts from six pounds !”. hahaha

47. steve says:

All joking aside Cockie, don’t knock the Polish car washes mate they are fucking awesome!!!
    Take my pickup there regularly absolutely covered in shit and half an hour later (just time for breaky) the bloody thing is spotless, inside and out – all for a tenner!
    Not even i would try for a six fingered discount on that deal! 😆

One last comment on Ramsey as your DM…Sorry if it’s been me killing this thread… But it has to do with his running and I’ve been teased for looking too closely at that factor in the past AND I’m awfully sensitive to teasing/cyber-bullying…

I think AR could do it (be extremely effective at DM) but he might have to really continue his work on cutting down his stride when it comes time to make the play (the critical touch). Far too often as he’s loping along covering all that ground and he seems inclined to take things in his stride with a creative (often failing) single touch. Deep in their half = fine, in our half = me soiling myself…

Two Springs ago (end of 2012-13 season) he and Arteta manned the pumps and he put the brakes on these tendencies. We had some very painful 1-nils against relegation quality competition but we got that 4th place finish after trailing Spurs by 7… Eye gouging stuff, but it worked. Ramsey did a lot of those Henry (the dog…) slow circles–right foot, right foot, right foot, pass. 😉 Ugly as hell but good work when we needed it…

So, I don’t think it’s such a bad shout, but not so many come along with such an unbreakable confidence and his creative streak (IMO) further forward should be encouraged… The guy I’ve been watching lately who (I think) has that little extra play-making burst, good size and extreme decisiveness (for better and worse) has initals CC and wears #21. Good signing that one, I think… Needs be that he play at RB (and maybe CB tomorrow) but in the not so distant future, perhaps?…

Another one (who subbed in for Arteta in the critical final match at Newcastle that Spring and goes by initials AOC…) is more two-footed, brings the ball down with unreal precision and only lacks the stamina Rambo brings. No need for the (extra) weight training with him and he’s still just (turned) 21…

In other words, There could be SEVERAL home-grown solutions which may explain the reluctance to bring in all the guys mentioned more in the papers but maybe watched less (far less…) by the average gooner…

😀

49. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha True, steve !…….if Germany were to invade Poland now, they would occupy a territory with the cleanest tanks !.

50. steve says:

hahahaha True! That’s if they actually found anyone left in Poland 😆

See cockie, now you are comparing Beyonce’s backside with the Spuds….. 😕

17 🙂

CC23 is a good shout for DM, but not in the Scweini mould IMO.

53. steve says:

Koscielny as DM!!! Bring the pain!! 🙂

54. The Cockie Monster says:

You asked, so here……experience and youth without putting anyone at risk for the Spud game !.

Ospina

Bellerin
    Chambers
    Hayden
    Le Coq

Diaby
    Flamini

Campbell
    Rosicky
    Pod

Akpom.

55. proudgooner says:

Cockie ,
    I think you team you just put together is great.
    I also think tht will be about the team Wenger will play tomorrow.
    It is a cup we could win though so i hope the young guns are up for it .

56. proudgooner says:

The polish car washers here are awesome to they always do the outside of mine for £6, I will be checking and counting there fingers next time. There could well be an extra digit. 🙂

57. proudgooner says:

Oh and back on the car washers.
    They have a super cute polish chick that always cleans the window with no bra on, just soappy wet hard nipples to stare at while you sit in the car 😉 bonus lol

Wow cockie, that’s quite a Beyoncé’s arse of a line up! 🙂

59. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha…..we all know what sort of “tip” you want to give her !.

60. proudgooner says:

Yes Cockmeister she always gets a tip 🙂 lol 3-1 I tell her ha ha ha ha

61. proudgooner says:

She must get tonnes of tip, since she has started working there she has got more glamourous everyweek, new clothes, hair doos fancy nails lol

62. The Cockie Monster says:

I`m just thinking logically, Totes !……saving the “1st choice” players for the more important game against the Spuds, but will Arsene think logically ?……he use to in the past play the youngsters !
    Who ever we play, we will have an extra days rest than the Spuds who play Wednesday and they normally play a strong team in any cup as they will only ever win one of the minor cups !.

63. proudgooner says:

It is not sold out , there is still tickets availble for tomw night :/
    It would be a good game to see.

64. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha…..maybe you should tell her she will gets generous odds if the pole polishes your pole !.

65. proudgooner says:

I tell her its light the genies lamp, give it a polish and your win all your bets lol

66. proudgooner says: