It is the time of year to look back and make wishes for the future. On 31 December 2013, I issued a post with wishes for the coming year:
My ten wishes for 2014 were:
- A top-two finish, and hopefully us being crowned champions in May.
Well we know we finished fourth, so this wish did not materialise. Things looked good for us back then and a really good finish was in our grasp, but once again we did not see a good start through.
- Full integration of Ozil into the team, and finding the right balance between our options in midfield and attack.
It is fair to say that this has not happened as yet. Ozil has been out with injuries a lot this calendar year, both in our last and current seasons, so we have to give it more time. Hopefully he is back imminently as it is time for him to properly shine again for Arsenal. We also have not found the right balance as yet, but this is more due to the number of new players bought in attack and the large number of injuries (sigh).
- Somebody to properly claim LM/LW, either from the current squad or through buying super quality in January or summer.
Well this materialised with the signing of the mini-Hulk. Alexis can of course play in different positions but playing him on the left seems to suit him best, especially if he is given licence to roam centrally occasionally.
- The arrival of a beast of DM with footballing qualities to strengthen the double DM pivot and provide cover and competition for the ageing Arteta and (sooner or later) Flamini.
Did not happen and the need for a very good DM is still a main priority in my, and many fellow Gooner’s, opinion.
- A home win against Bayern, and hopefully us beating the Germans over both legs – after that anything is possible! 🙂
Did not happen, but…. We started the home game sooo strong and if Ozil had put away the pen and Szczesny had kept a cool head instead of getting sent off it could have been so different.
- Cesc to return to the real home of football.
Did not happen, but COULD have happened and, in my opinion, should have happened. Seeing Fabregas getting directions from Maureen is still so sickening. How many assists has he produced for the Chavs FFS! 😈
- Wilshere to find his form again and have a great season and World Cup.
There have been glimpses in 2014: short periods of good form and dominant play. His goal and assist against the Northern Oilers seemed to be the moment of breakthrough…. but it was not to be, as the monster of injury kept hitting him hard time and again.
- Sagna to sign a new contract and to play more regularly as a CB; Jenkinson to claim the RB position or move on this summer (and us finding a great replacement).
Partly happened. We did not hold on to Mr Reliable and Jenks did not claim the RB position, but we signed Debuchy and Chambers who both have had fantastic starts to their Arsenal careers.
- To keep hold of all our key players whilst adding quality were required – and a few youngsters to make significant progress.
We did this, except for holding on to Sagna. Ospina, Chambers, Debuchy, Welbeck, Alexis are all quality signings. Whether youngsters have made significant progress is up for debate. Bellerin is a positive, but not many others have been given a chance… Martinez did reasonably well and should get more playing time if and when possible.
- Dennis to join us.
The highlight of 2014 is of course Arsenal winning the FA Cup: not explicitly wished for but a much, much needed achievement by the team which will hopefully create a mental and sporting platform for adding more trophies in the near future.
In the new year I will issue my 10 wishes for 2015.
What did you make of Arsenal in 2014?
Written by: TotalArsenal.