Is Thierry Back For Good?

I hope everyone is still riding on the buzz of our previous performance. This is going to be a short post.

B-NrItXIMAAHU_c

So King Henry finally decided to hang up his boots. Everybody knew the day would come but that doesn’t make the hole he has left in world football any smaller. Arguably the best CF to ever grace the English shores. He is now a sky sports pundit, but more importantly, he is helping out Trevor Bumstead with the under 15’s. He really did mean it when he said he is a Gunner for life.

I am sure there is absolutely no doubt in anyone’s mind that Thierry has a wealth of knowledge to share. It makes total sense that he is being given a chance to blood his managerial skills with the next generation. The biggest advantage about that is that he can get to learn how to spot and nurture talent (kind of like what Arsene did with him), which is a very important skill to have in modern football. Just ask the coaching staff at Southampton.

The aim of this post though is to try and establish how Arsenal can get maximum value from him.

Both aforementioned jobs are part time (I stand corrected)Β and, therefore, he still has plenty of time on his hands to take up a more involved role at the club. I was really thinking about it and what if (on top of his current obligations) he is given a few sessions a week with our strikers (and attacking midfielders) so he can give them some coaching on movement & finishing.

Really, just think about it: players like Welbeck, Oxlade, Gnabry & Wilshere need to contribute more goals than they do now to really propel them to the next level. If we examine each player’s shortcomings, you can see these are all things Thierry can help to fix.

Welbeck – His movement is great but he lacks confidence in his finishing. The skill & talent are there but maybe he needs a few sessions with the master to really come into his own.

Oxlade – For me the Ox doesn’t get into scoring positions often enough. He is more of a touchline hugging winger, but in a system like ours, where our attackers are given the freedom to roam, he needs to be scoring more. Again, maybe the master can coach him on his movement.

Gnabry – I think he is similar to the Ox in terms of what he needs to learn.

Wilshere – He really needs to learn how to shoot/finish. For a player who gets into the box as often as he does, he surely does not score enough. Maybe this is something a few sessions with the master can fix.

This is not limited to just these four; I am just using them as an example. Also, I have no knowledge of what Henry’s schedule is like, so from my end this is just a suggestion.

I am, of course, not opposed to having a team of players who can score given the opportunity…. What do you think?

COYG!!

By Marcus

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Is Thierry Back For Good?

Well Marcus, that is the sort of post that makes us all feel better – so thank you, Sir! πŸ™‚

Of course we all want Thierry back and working with our attackers would be a great bonus for all, including Alexis, Giroud and Theo. He has an analytical eye and his great personality and enthusiasm should make him a fine coach.

To turn Ox and Welbeck into decent finishers (and assist makers as well) a bit more than a few sessions are required. It is not just the art of finishing they need to master, but also the art of reading the game and being at the right place at the right time. Danny especially is disappointing in these vital aspects of the game. So bring it on, is all I am saying. πŸ™‚

2. Marcus says:

True. If he can transfer some of his magic on to them, it is fair to say we will definitely be a happy lot.

Marcus, you must also have time on your hands? πŸ˜€

I thought at first it was going to be about him in future years. But No, you have gone straight for the here and now. Which is a nice twist. Well done.

Many months ago I said, jokingly, ‘Where’s TH14 when you need him’ after Ox (I think?) had squandered some good opportunities. However, I remember when he came on loan from NY Red Bulls he was very generous with his time, and the younger ones appreciated it.

The big thing is, and I would like to see how well he does with the juniors first, is how good he is at imparting both his knowledge and skills? As it is one thing for awe struck teenagers to hang on his every word and improve for it, more senior players who have some ingrained bad habits may need more than just his presence?

When he can, I am sure he will try and spend as much time as he can with the senior squad to observe Arsene in action, and that can only help. But he is his own man, and will have his own ideas. In the mean time he has got to develop the teaching skills of man management. not just the encouragement, but knowing when and how to be critical. If all that goes well, I really do hope here is here to stay. So for me, I say, let him do what he has to do, and take from there.
    Just having him around is a bonus.

Oh, given I agreed with Steve’s assessment on who we have is most like him in style, I would want Chuba Akpom to be at the top of his list for one to one sessions πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

I am not sure there is much wrong with Gnabry’s game that match practice and confidence wouldn’t cure. But the supermarket phrase ‘every little helps’ would not go amiss.
    Welbeck, as TA has said, may have other issues that need addressing, and that is probably the side of coaching that TH14 has to work on himself … the things he did not have a problem with?

Further down the line, if all goes well, and he is ready to commit to the job, we could be sorted for the next 20 years?

Total, you have mail…

Marcus, you seem enthused about recent developments at the club but I’m prone to a bit more caution. Henry seems a very pleasing mix of intelligence and self-confidence but I wonder if that would work at the highest level of management. I like that he scoffs at disrespectful parts of the support, but that’s just me… In a certain way, I think it’s rare that great athletes make the best coaches as their personal experience will always relate to those with extraordinary talent levels. I’m more inclined towards players who obviously rose to the top through extreme hard work (for example the guy this site is named for)… W/O a change in ownership Arsenal will have a mix of world class talent mixed with guys who have to work a LOT harder. That said, I really like the idea of Henry as a “striker” coach who could work with our goal-scorers and even take some of the heat with the press/fans if his guys go through a dry spell…

Regarding the previous post and the comparisons with the ’04 team… I think both sides speak truth. As a first 11 who took the pitch with a certain swagger over their contemporaries, I think the older group will not be matched. Let’s not kid ourselves, however. Those guys set the stage for the belief that Arsenal should compete for ALL trophies in a modern (expensive) stadium with a perfect pitch. In other words, our goals now are higher, much higher and maybe too high… The Invicibles were a huge element of bringing English football into the mainstream of European football and the current bubble which allows absurd money into clubs from billionaires and bankers even in a highly stressed European economy. Arsenal went with more frugal American ownership and is playing a (much) longer game. Still, a player or two (Ozil and Alexis seem the most obvious candidates, but you never know about a Theo or an Aaron or a Jack or an Ollie…) who might pop up in a very big semi or final and write some of their own history might allow a bit more of this sort of position by position comparison stuff. Dominating over a long period (or even truly competing at the top of the English league…) will take a much deeper squad than just that decade ago, I believe, so really it’s apples and oranges, IMO…

5. proud gooner says:

Evening all,
    I am very glad to have him around. But i am on Gerry and 17’s mind set that he has to see how he gets on with the young guns for a good amount of time first.
    I am not sure if he will ever manage the first team or if he should.
    I would love for him too and for him to pick up cup after cup every season.
    But how many great great players have gone on to be a top manager..?????
    I for 1can not think of a single 1.
    For some strange reason it just does not seem to happen.

Love the idea, would love for him to do so and be very successful , but worry it will not fully work out.

I havew just thought of 1 Kenny Dalglish , he was a great player and manager,but it shows that there is not too many, Oh and Hollands Ronald Koeman is doing well, Michael Lurdup too i thought was doing a fine job before Swansea sacked him.

6. St. Henry says:

Nice thought and post Marcus! πŸ™‚ I am all for the promise and hope of a TH-led improvement in striker-efficiency. I would be very surprised if he has not dropped a few words or suggestions already. Would love to see one of the present team curl the ball the way he did around GKs! πŸ™‚

7. proud gooner says:

Its worth noting though that 2 of my great player’s who were very good managers were sacked by 2 EPL clubs and sacking king Kenny would not have been a step taken lightly.
    But then again i did not agree with there dissision to sack him, he won a cup just before being sacked was also in the FA cup final a week before being sacked and he had signed Luis Suarez in that season. Kenny D is a better manager then Rodgers as well imo

8. proud gooner says:

St Henry,
    I agree and i think he will do a fantastic job for the first in just being a purely strikers coach for the firsts πŸ™‚

9. proud gooner says:

I think Danny and Theo will benifit the most from Henry words of advice
    I think both have a great chance of becoming the next Henry.
    Alexis will score the numbers of Henry but he is a different style of player, he is his own style and why change it it works great πŸ™‚

Many thanks again for the post, Marcus. Let’s hope we see a lot more of TH14 at the home of football! πŸ˜›

New Post New Post πŸ™‚