Four Points behind Chelsea? Barcodes v Gunners Preview & Line-up

Newcastle – Arsenal  Match Preview

How does Arsenal respond to coming up short in Monaco?

d14-02-12 Spurs H P1

From the glamour of Monte Carlo and European nights, Arsenal must travel to the furthest reaches of its own league and (somehow) get back to the more mundane task of trying to wrest 3 points from the always stubborn Magpies of Newcastle.

In the return leg of our Champions League round of 16 tie in Monaco, Arsenal played with spirit and determination and scored two goals, but it was not enough.  We can debate about the away goals rule or whether Arsenal was naive (or just wasteful) in the first leg or whether English football just isn’t at the requisite level to compete with the best of the continent.  In the end, however, the only way to get back into the Champions league is to finish in the top 4 back home in the Premier league.  It may not be as exciting as an elimination match in the world’s biggest club competition, but going to Tyneside and replicating the effort and performance we saw on the Cote d’Azure–and bringing back full points from our trip to Newcastle–is probably, in the end, just as important.

Somehow we have to see what happened in Monaco not as the massive disappointment it is but as another gritty win in a tough away stadium.  Before that match we did likewise at Old Trafford in the FA Cup quarterfinals and we’ve had other good road wins, most notably on the other side of Manchester at the Etihad Stadium against Manchester City.  In fact, with the exception of the very disappointing loss to a team just up the road (and the new year’s day loss at Southampton) Arsenal have been perfect on their travels in 2015.   Our form even has some wondering if it’s possible to close the 7 point gap (plus a game in hand) on league leaders Chelsea.

Personally, I think that gap is probably too large, but I’m certainly open to seeing Chelsea drop points, come back to the chasing pack and open up the title race.  They dropped a pair of points a week ago vs Southhampton after their own exit from the Champions league, and now have to travel to relegation-threatened Hull City, so why not?

More realistic, and probably more to the point, is our own path towards getting back into the big tournament.  Our good run of league results has us well positioned in 3rd place just a point behind (last year’s league champions) Manchester City, but other teams are queuing up for the run-in.  Manchester United sit only a point behind us, but they have to travel to Anfield and face down the most in-form of all the English clubs, Liverpool, in a real 6 pointer.  Their hosts only trail them by 2 points and could thus leapfrog them into the CL spots.  We can only play our own match, of course.  As such, if we can win at Newcastle, all looks good heading into the two week international break.   If we drop points up there, however, we drop into the fray and the time away goes from a nice respite to (our more usual?) Arsenal angst.  With our next league match at home vs Liverpool, things could get even more uncomfortable.

As such, the importance of putting our disappointments into the rear view and giving our very best in Newcastle is extreme.  Luckily the opponent is struggling with injuries, suspensions and a run of bad results.  Moreover, sitting in 11th place, they can afford further bad results without dropping into a real relegation battle.   Still, it would be wise to beware the wounded animal and Newcastle teams (and their supporters) always offer a prideful effort.  Underestimating them would be a mistake.

Hosting Arsenal with all the circumstances they currently face, in fact, should allow Newcastle to play in an unfettered, attacking, nothing to lose manner.  Papiss Demba Cisse and Fabricio Coloccini, the (spitting) head and tail (and hairstyle) of their outfield spine will be missing through suspension.  Additionally, defenders Paul Dummett, Massaido Haidara and Steven Taylor are out injured, along with midfielders Rolando Aarons, Mehdi Abeid, Siem de Jong and Cheick Tiote.   Interim manager John Carver is suggesting, in fact, that he may not even be able to fill out his bench, claiming that he has only 13 outfield players (and two keepers) fit enough to wear the barcode kit.

Even if true, I’d still expect Newcastle to offer a game plan based on resistance but with a stronger urge to attack and a hope to simply outscore us.  In other words, we cannot take them too lightly or hope to ease into the match.  Players like Moussa Sissoko and Ayoze Perez are fine attacking players who can score goals if given the chance.  Remy Caballa is a very tricky ball handler and Yoan Goufran, while not as flashy, is a player who always puts in a shift, as does Jack Colback.  Gabriel Obertan and Emmanuel Riviere, on their day, can also be a handful for any defender; Sammy Ameobi may not be as stout as his older brother Shola (recently transferred to Crystal Palace) but is tall enough to present a target for crosses.   Their back line will be makeshift, but at least they have Argentine international Jonas Gutierrez back from his battle with testicular cancer.   The balance of the team is heavy in attack, so, just as we might ask Jonas himself, will one ball be enough?

Cancer jokes are probably a step too far, but Arsenal must fight a disease of their own–complacency.  Can the group cope with their European disappointment, get back to business and beat Newcastle?  Focus and determination would seem the best prescriptive antidotes, but will we bring them?  Who will Arsene Wenger use to fight off any sense of self-pity amongst the collective and move us forward?

My guess is that we will see a largely unchanged squad from Tuesday night.  Luckily, nobody took more than psychological knocks in that match but certainly many looked tired and Wenger will have to have a keen eye for those who seem more hungover than others.  Tomas Rosicky who missed both the Monaco and West Ham matches due to illness, is back, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays at least some role on the day.

Here’s my best guess for a starting 11.

ars v new March 15

Subs: Szczesny, Gabriel, Gibbs, Cazorla, Flamini, Rosicky, Walcott

That’s only one change from Tuesday (Aaron Ramsey for Santi Cazorla) but then again I’m not privy to watching the lads in training and trying to note who might really not be up for another big effort.  Many pundits are noting that Alexis has not played as well in the new year and has only scored a single goal in his last 11 appearances.  Even off the boil he presents such a threat that I cannot see sitting him ahead of the international break.   (If he were to get a bench seat, would his spot be taken by Walcott or Rosicky?)  It’s also possible that Giroud rests.  Wenger brought him off the bench the last time we traveled in England, in the FA Cup match at Manchester United.  I don’t see that particular change but, by the same token, it seems harsh to suggest a bench place for Santi Cazorla given his great play in a slightly deeper role.  Ramsey’s recent goals, however, would seem to merit a place in the team. along, perhaps, with the greater physicality and excellent workrate he offers.  Maybe Welbeck (or Alexis and/or Giroud) sits so both Santi and AR can play, which perhaps is a more defensive scheme and a wise thought in light of so many attackers in the Newcastle squad.  As always, what (the f**k) do I know?

Not too much probably.  What do YOU know?  What do others think about this match and the larger issues about this Arsenal team–our exit from the Champions league and our chances back in England?  At this point we only have 9 league matches remaining–and the adventure(s) at Wembley in the FA Cup.  How far can we go (up or down)?  Does it matter?  Comments on the blog have really dropped off, perhaps due to our fearless leader (Total Arsenal) being pre-occupied with real world responsibilities (aka a job…) and not posting.  Are we bored with our club, with football, or (maybe) with life?  What’s up people?

Personally, I’m glad we’ve got a match (and I rather dread the International break), but that’s just me… Hopefully our Gunners (and you Gooners) feel likewise…

By 17highburyterrace

75 Responses to Four Points behind Chelsea? Barcodes v Gunners Preview & Line-up

Thanks 17, for a very fine preview. 🙂

Back in a bit.

Fully agreed on how to take the ‘loss’ v Monaco, 17ho. The boys gave everything and just lacked that bit of luck. I thought the referee was good except for spotting and punishing persistent fouling. They broke our flow up as much as they could and kept getting away with it. I think we needed a goal from either Ozil or Alexis in this one, as Giroud and Rambo delivered on the night. Our star players gave their all but I thought their lack of form cost us in the end. At least they gave us their all though.

I am not too unhappy to be out of the CL. We are not yet a team who can take on the established big three (RM, Barca and Bayern) and so it would have ended in tears anyway. But finishing high in the PL would do this team really good going forward. And there is of course also the little matter of winning back to back the FA cup. Now that would be very special, especially now that we eliminated the horrible Mancs on their own diving theatre.

I am like you: just so glad the boys are playing tomorrow again. It will not be easy as the Chavs killers know how to take on a big team and get a result, but I am pretty sure the team will be up for it. There is always a lot of space at Newcastle which should suit us.

Re your line up: it works for me, even Danny on the team I don’t mind. I thought he was our weakest player against Monaco, even though he had a good assist. But he works hard and I reckon he will be effective against the Barcodes. He really could do with a goal as well.

Three points would be bliss…. and Hull might fancy to do us a favour. CoYG! 🙂

3. Mr Bond says:

It’s been a largely disappointing time. Following the pairing of Arsenal with Monaco we thought we could at least make it to the quarter finals but unfortunately you saw how that panned out. Folks out here are still trying to swallow the bitter pills of the lost opportunity to do better this year, but alas it was not to be. Post match games for Arsenal are always a grim affair so by tomorrow we hope the real Arsenal turns up. I expect the inclusion of Rosicky after being rested as he recuperate from illness. Ramsey should get a nod for his goals and his defensive duties. Sanchez and Ozil should be rested as they have played virtually every game. Walcott should play so that he can be sharp as the games becomes more decisive. Carzola should play as he’s irreplaceable for now. If we are coasting to victory we can replace O L with Akpom. Mertesacker played well so should play. No matter how stubborn the Magpies are we should bag the three points on offer. Lets keep the gun blazing.

Let’s keep the gun blazing…. YES! 🙂

nice one me Amigo .

can’t disagree with you – it will largely be an unchanged starting 11 with an exception of maybe Theo playing ahead of Alexis ?

disagree with the impostor or my namesake – we have an international break after this, so no need or point in trying to “rest” players .

let them give in another big push and secure 3 more points.

Dropping Alexis is more tactical than resting him as I feel that Theo deserves a start and will do well against newcastle as we will have Danny stretching them on the LW and helping Nacho.

some really solid points made by Gerry in the last post.

MEMO TO EVERYONE READING THIS OR ALL YOU LURKERS OUT THERE.

DON’T BE SHY, COME FORWARD AND LET US HAVE YOUR THOUGHTS/OPINIONS/COMMENTS – TO ALL THE REGULARS AS WELL – COME OUT AND PLAY.

The writers here post top quality stuff and spend a lot of time composing it, so please do come out and play (lurkers) and join in the fun – we all promise to keep Steve on his best behaviour as well as Glics and TMHT .

Fozzie with a B come out come out where ever you are.

Well said, Jibbers. 🙂

But Alexis is our best player and will surely play. 😉

Yes, we need more participation here in the comments…And, of course, TA will take submissions for posts. Maybe over the Int’l break?… Where are the transfer tweakers?…Aren’t there a couple of big money upgrades we NEED to make to get the team to the tippy top?… 😀

In the preview, I didn’t make mention of our longer term injured, but it sounds like Arteta, Debuchy and Wilshere might become available at various points in April. It would’ve been hard to fit him into the line-ups against Monaco, but I think young Jack might’ve helped. That team–even as much as Gooners wanted to look past them–had a lot of big and athletic guys. Jack, working with Alexis and Ozil and/or Santi might’ve gotten into the smaller spaces they were leaving open and helped to create some overloads (3 v 2s) or done some other good things or at least picked up some fouls, We’ve got a lot of quality players fit, at the moment, but Jack can contribute at a high level if he can keep himself fit and focused… Arteta might’ve helped also, in a similar sort of way or at least allowed Santi to get forward a bit more to play off Alexis. As much as I think Bellerin has been outstanding (considering his youth) a guy like Debuchy getting in the box and doing his bit with pull-backs (like Nacho did to Theo in the buildup for the 2nd goal) or with his mohawk, might’ve helped too…

I dunno, I’m liking the team a lot these days. I agree with TA that we’re probably not quite there at the very highest level, but a couple of matches (or more) against those sorts of teams would have been incredible experience for guys like Ospina, Bellerin, Coquelin and others who maybe haven’t had too many at that level.

Ah well. Gotta play what’s in front of us, so no let up tomorrow, eh…

That is true, Seventeenho. It is always good experience to play those teams. But it was not to be and now we can concentrate on finishing high and winning the FA cup and that is also very good experience.

Good call on Jack and it would be great if he can help the team move forward with a bit more composure/control.

10. AB says:

Evening folks. Another top write up HT. I’m largely with you on the 11, but do wonder, like JB whether Walcott might get a start in place of Sanchez. Santi needs a rest after being, I thought, our best player against Monaco. And Sanchez shows all the signs of fatigue too, despite never seeming to drop his work rate. We don’t need to rotate for its own sake, given there is a break coming, but we do need to have enough energy as well as quality to get through against Newcastle – a tired team will lose in the Prem, whatever the opposition. We have plenty of experience of grinding out the results at this time of year. I don’t expect anything easy or pretty tomorrow, but fingers crossed we can get the job done.

11. epps says:

I’m an American who has been following the Gunners since the 11/12 season when we ran a 4-1-4-1 with Song and van Persie as the 1’s. My favorite players are Cazorla and Rosicky but I think we have to get bigger, more durable midfielders especially the defensive ones if we are going to really challenge for a PL title much less the Champions League.

I think Ramsey or whoever is the box-to-box has a very important role on this team. I don’t think Cazorla and Ozil play well together at the same time or Sanchez for that matter. There are way too many number 10’s on this team although Cazorla has adapted well to playing deeper when they need him to.

I think Nacho has overtaken Gibbs at left back, he’s more likely to last a string of matches and I think his stint in the middle has made him a better defender and he has always been a good passer. Bellerin too, really took advantage of his opportunity with Debuchy out.

What do we need? I would have looked to sell Wilshere and Ozil when there value was highest. I know Santi’s a good CAM but maybe we have to commit to Ozil now since he is younger. We still need true wingers that can spread the field. Welbeck gives us a little size, and defensive capability and fits in technically. I would look to move on Flamini or even Arteta to get a bigger defensive mid to pair with Coquelin.

Not sure what’s going to happen with Theo. I think they have to play him to see if he fits long-term. I’m a big Ox fan. I think he could be a good winger too. Too soon to tell about Chambers and Gabriel but we need all the defensive help we can we get.

Excellent work on the pre-game write ups! Bravo!
    COYG!

Hi all.. Great post 17ht..
    I think Wenger will change more players than usuall..
    Walcott.. Gibbs.. Gabriele and Chambers will fill the starting line..
    Ozil.. Coquelin.. and Giroud rest.. and Ospina also..

So my team will be:
    Szczesney
    Chambers – Gabriele- Koscielny – Gibbs
    Ramsey – Flamini
    Cazorla
    Walcott – Welbeck – Sanchez

@VCC / TA.. sorry to use this room..
    My prediction for the UMF league..
    Arsenal.. Chelsea.. Everton away win
    Liverpool – MU and Villa-Swansea draw
    And I want to use my JOKER..

13. neeraj says:

Hey all !
    What a game it was against Monaco. Edge of the seat stuff in the last 10 minutes.
    We played well and though we are out of the CL we are still in form.

The Newcastle should be relatively the easiest fixture we will have in the run in.
    They have no ambition ( that’s why Pardew left) to knick a win off Arsenal. They have only 13 fit players. Their defence has always looked makeshift but this time they’re gonna be missing their Curly Captain too.

It should be comfortable for Arsenal and we should rest as many as we can without disturbing the core too much.

Walcott- Welbz-Akpom-Ramsey-Gibbs-Szczesny in
    Sanchez- Giroud- Cazorla-Ozil-Nacho-Ospinia out

14. neeraj says:

Maybe Gabriel can play too because their attack has a lot of pace and not much height.

Morning Henry and Neeraj, and a big welcome to Epps. That is a fine comment. 🙂

Epps, I reckon Ozil ans Santi have now learned to play together as long as they play vertical rather than next to each other. Just a question: what’s your reason to sell Jack?

17. geoffchase says:

All

Well back towards airplanes so this will be short…

17: liked your lineup a lot. I agree with some that Sanchez might need a rest. Perhaps TR and then Sanchez late if needed?

TA: I thnk our stars and others did well at Monaco. I agree with AW that the away goals things is weird but it is what it is, so.. One could equally say, we scored one at home and they didn’t so. Again, it is what it is. As to Ozil who came very close and Sanchez. Well I think from what I saw that Monaco focused on them a lot and allowed others to score. Equally, they were unlucky. Overall, given all that, I’d say that at over two legs a very good monaco team had just the edge in fortune…

Ps, Monaco are not that bad to have made it that far with so few goals conceded etc, so it wasn’t like the gimme that the Scholes et al of the world make it out to be…

As to tactics today. I expect Newcastle to attack, as all their defenders are hurt and they have no choice … Seemingly…. Contain that and it could be a blowout that we will be over credited for. Or the coud park the bus with what they have, and we could win 1-0, 2-0 and be told by the same people that we didn’t do well enough and we should sell Ozil for 5£…

My 2p, off for the plane — jgc

18. geoffchase says:

Game will be half over when I land and 65 mins by the end of customs where I can check the score.

CM hides behind his couch, I apparently use a whole Boeing! 🙂

Sigh — jgc

Aall agreed Geoff, where are you flying to and from? 🙂

20. neeraj says:

Morning TA,
    Hello and Welcome Epps,
    I too have been supporting Arsenal since 2011-12 season.
    I think this group of players is the tightest we have had in recent times. They have got to know each other well. I think we should maintain this chemistry and replace the weak links one by one like we have been doing for the last 2 seasons.
    The only players I can see being sold this window are – flamini, diaby(released), podolski
    The less likely ones could be – Arteta, Theo, Per and maybe one of the keepers if we buy a ‘great’ replacement(like Cech), Campbell.

21. Retsub says:

If ever there was a game to take for granted to easily this has to be it. Newcastle apparently have 13 fit outfield players and virtually no left sided defenders. Surely this must be the day that Theo is unleashed.

Just saw a Newcastle blog and the editors prediction, something like this ” more injuries, Colback sent off, 3 – 0 Ársenal

Just hope the boys learned from the Monaco home game.

Hi everyone … Missed the New Post signal from the previous post, so I am late to this.

Yes, good stuff again HT. No point on dwelling too much on ‘What if’s’ and ‘Might have been’s”
    This is the game we are playing, and this is the game that matters.

I think you may be right with your back 4, but I think Gabriel will slot in somewhere, may be alongside Coquelin so we can release the front four to do what they do best. If Alexis plays, they may as well start him in the middle, and bring on Giro for the late surge. Theo too ought to be given one more chance to use his pace, and Akpom too, as he can alternate in the middle.
    So Ozil between that pair to keep Alexis high up the pitch, goals will surely flow.

But that is just my wish list. With both FC34 and GP5 there to win the ball back, quick counters could be the way to go. The above combination might also allow an opening for Gibbs as well. However the case for resting players that might also play during ‘the break’ may be in AW’s mind?

The combined spirit is what should enable us to take game in our stride.

Keep the faith ..

23. jnyc says:

Always good job 17.
    I think chasing goals for 95 mins this week took so much energy that I’d rotate wherever possible. I dont see why a healthy theo cant give a rest to an over worked alexis too. ,, but im not taking any opponent lightly, and i know Arsene wont.

David Ospina; Calum Chambers, Gabriel Paulista, Laurent Koscielny, Nacho Monreal, Francis Coquelin, Aaron Ramsey, Alexis Sanchez, Santi Cazorla, Danny Welbeck, Olivier Giroud

Substitutes: Szczesny, Kieran Gibbs, Per Mertesacker, Hector Bellerin, Mathieu Flamini, Tomas Rosicky, Theo Walcott

no Ozil be interesting.

8/11 Seventeenho, not bad at all. No Theo again, wow.

as long as we get the job done and 3 points @ Skipper – I don’t really care who plays and who doesn’t 😀

Theo will come on as a sub though, am sure of that if he doesn’t then he needs to sign da ting.

Hi guys. Anyone got a good stream site please?

29. epps says:

I just think Jack is too injury prone and at the time I thought you could get a lot of value for him. Of course I don’t have the historical attachment with him that some have but if he can stay healthy I think he can make the same kind of driving runs that Ramsey makes.

Ozil is ill – I see.

3-0 to the Gunners

COYG

31. Admir says:

A rather slow start from us…

2 from Giroud from set pieces!!!

33. epps says:

34. Admir says:

Giroud is brilliant! 🙂 He has scored two and Ramsey should have scored after his wonderful pass.

17 goals in 26 matches.

35. Admir says:

Coquelin has done a magnificent job so far.

36. Admir says:

We have entered slowly in the second half again. It’s happening constantly.

how have we managed to win that- I have no idea .

Chambers isn’t a RB – can’t wait to have Debuchy back

well done boys, 3 points and a robbery at st.james’s park = start the engine time, indeed !

Ospina the difference in my opinion, well chuffed with our goalie’s performance

the march continues !

Nail biting stuff, but what a resilience by the team. Coquelin man of the match, for sure: great timing and presence and strong and accurate interventions.

Koz and Gabbie brilliant too and so was Monreal: all very mature and composed. Giroud had a great game too and earned his keep once again. Not impressed with Danny once again, and Chambers was also not great. Both lose a lot of the one on ones and seem afraid to put their foot in; as a result they lost the ball a lot today. But they did work hard and they all got there as a team. Another big three points and now a good break to recharge the batteries. Let’s hope they all come back without injuries. Come on you Tigers. 🙂

40. steve says:

Just made it back in time for a perfect stream and my dinner 🙂
    I’m back now, crazy workload done and dusted – just in time for the international break and no football to chat about lol 👿

Great preview as usual HT and as far as this match goes – Well I loved every second of that game!!

I could not think of a more perfect match to highlight EXACTLY what me and Cockie keep harping on about. In the first half they stood off us and were slow in their movements and all round tempo and as a result we dominated the game and played some lovely stuff. In the second half they were obviously instructed to press us hard and with pace, their whole tempo increased about 50% and as a result we looked tentative, nervous and made mistake after mistake.
    This was not a different team, different match, different kick off time etc etc etc it was the same bloody team and same match and all that changed was tempo and pressing from the opposition and it changed how we performed immensely.
    This match goes to the very root of what I have been saying and why I think Arsenal are so inconsistent, its all because it depends on the opposition – whether they press and play high tempo or whether they stand off and allow us space. We don’t change, we play the same but it is the opposition that dictate the level of performance we produce and with so many different and varied teams in the league this is why we are so inconsistent.
    I am so glad I got to be able to prove my point so well in a match and still come a way with the three points – perfect!!
    Other than that just the usual shit I drone on about but you’ve heard it all before, I will just say Ramsey was by far the best Utd defender, expertly cutting out at least two clear cut chances for Giroud lol.

Ahh good to be back, might start thinking about a post for the break now i’ve got some time – don’t hold your breath just yet though.

41. epps says:

Bellerin looked poised at the end and Gabriel looks fast but raw

EPPS,

Gabby did a decent job considering it was an away game and a very physical one, he will only improve.

welcome to BK.

Stevie wonders,

am just glad Ozil wasn’t playing otherwise you would have had him again in the firing line.

Alexis shouldn’t be an automatic starter anymore, Theo should be getting the nod ahead of him ,if we get Debuchy back for the liverpool game.

43. steve says:

I thought i’ve been quite kind to Ozil recently JB lol – it does reduce the amount of opportunities i have to wind the guys up though, but i did promise to leave off him for a while.
    Yep i though Gabby did well too, i am bloody desperate for poor old Chambers to be moved off the wings and into a middle position (either CB or DM) but it seems i may be waiting a while.
    And yes mate with Sanchez looking a little leggy from all the crazy effort he’s been putting in i was very surprised not to see Theo start, or come of the bench even – you got any clues why this is 007?

sign da ting.

45. steve says:

you reckon?

in that case pull your finger out and get it done Theo!

history repeating itself.

Personally, I wouldn’t be against selling him in the summer if we could get Reus onboard or a Draxler.

with the likes of Ox and The Gnabry coming through the ranks and maturing, he is playing a dangerous game. needs to be extremely careful.

so a draw for tomorrow would do nicely for us between the mancs and liverFOOL @ Stevie ?

Pfffff Steve, no wonder you are never happy… Do you think Arsenal are there to dominate everybody and walk over them all the time. We beat the team that beat the Chavs at home.. nuff said… 😦

48. jnyc says:

I dont mind Arsene bein a tough negotiator, but Alexis health is more important right now … theo well rested and can help out with more minutes. More than zero would be nice..

and i agree with JB and some others about Chambers.. im never comfortable with him at rb… i still think he will be 4th cb next season… cant wait to see debuchy back sharing the position with bellerin.. we will have by far the best 2 rb combination of any team anywhere. All for less than sagna makes…

Good to hear, though, you might be writing a new post for us soon… @Steve 🙂

50. steve says:

what you talking about TA i just said i really enjoyed it lol.
    it was great resilience from the lads to hang on in the second half to what they had produced during an excellent first half.
    But if you can’t see the switch in performance during that match from a simple step up in tempo and pressing from the opposition then those rose tinted glasses have finally become thick enough to fully blind you bud 🙂

Yep draws all round JB then its a night at the theater or as many call it El Classico – perfect day 🙂

Second half fatigue started to play a role and they had a shot of undiluted adrenaline when they got an early second half goal…. We should be so fecking proud about the resilience this team shows, and the Barcodes only had half chances at best. Coquelin you have come good! 🙂

Steve, that is football and it was not just ‘a simple step up in tempo’. Glad you say you enjoyed it but your comment read like the usual moan…. making me think you is never happy…. 😉

We won it with seven shots and just three on target…. And three wins in seven days, two away from home…. Well done the boys! 🙂

Ooh to, Ooh to be…….

54. steve says:

I’ll get it started on monday TA, gonna have to start thinking about what makes people argue the most 🙂
    Get some heated debate back in this biatch 🙂

agreed @ JNYC

I suppose both Alexis and Gabby will be playing at the Emirates next week when it’s Brazil vs Chile ? hence AW may have thought – let’s give them a game as they are only playing at home hence not many air miles e.t.c

on the plus, we have Le Coq, Theo, JW, Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, and the rest of the platoon getting a much deserved rest and more training sessions together ? it will help JW and Theo a lot,IMO.

Nice one, Steve.

JB, Theo not selected for England then?

apologies, Theo is in the england squad but chambers is not as well as JW.

58. The Cockie Monster says:

Great post and great win !.
    It`s been blazing in the Duchy this week and It`s amazing that I have not been arrested for being in possession of a gorgeous body and loitering with intent to drive the ladies crazy !…….Lucky I have high laurel hedges as I might have got a ticket for kerb crawling whilst driving my John Deere ride on mower !.
    Waited yesterday for an eclipse, but it was so fcuking sunny here that I still had my shades on….what a disappointment , but that’s what happens with the award winning sunshine in St Ives, that’s why the artists come here…it`s the light apparently !.
    Tottenham had an eclipse !……..just a normal day really !…..nearly 20 years of darkness !……a total eclipse from theArse !
    I was expecting a draw today, so great result !.
    8 more games left and 5 at home, it`s in our hands, so there`s no excuses if we muck it up !……otherwise I will have a field day !. hahaha

so close yet so far in the rugby, we did an Arsenal there as well ahahahahahahahah another 6 points and would have been the 6 nations champ.

total eclipse from theArse hahaha 🙂

How is the missus, Cocker of Delight?!

Cheers for update, Jibbers. Theo needs a game, so that is good.

Squad

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City).
    Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).
    Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).
    Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

that’s the England squad – just double checked – didn’t think that Gibbs was selected but he’s also in – could do with game time as well as Theo I suppose.

Le Coq gets a much deserved rest, I hope he’s not a last minute call up though to the french like Brazil have called up our Gabby ?

Catch you guys, later. 🙂

64. The Cockie Monster says:

Here`s a question knob rots !.

An FA Cup final win and no CL……or…….CL and no FA Cup ?.

Personally, I`ve changed my stance on this from previous years, when before I was thinking with head and Arsenal finances and wanted CL !………..now I would go for FA Cup win every time !……it`s about great experiences and memories and sorry but getting 4th evokes neither !.

65. The Cockie Monster says:

Touch wood, fine, Totes !. 😀

You stay away from my wood… 😀

FA cup win for me, as it is a big one this year…. but no reason to have to choose… :greedy:

Really gone now.

how about winning both the PL and FA cup @ GLICS

why glass half full and half empty ? why not fcuking pour the glass full or even overfill to kill ? ; )

68. Retsub says:

Wonder what the stats are for Arsenal being 2 -0 up this season and the opposition scoring the 3rd goal? Seems to be a ploy to make sure the supporters don’t get to relax anymore lol. Great to have Le Coq on the pitch when the onslaught comes. As much as I like Flamini he didn’t look up with the pace when he came on.

Finally what’s the score with Theo? Things happen when he is on the pitch. Welbeck certainly works hard but give me Theo any day

69. steve says:

fuck me, MOTD reciting my comment from earlier almost word for word lol
    just shows any dickhead could do that job 🙂

well Steve, it was a very one-dimensional analysis….. All down to Newcastle’s apparent lack of motivation in the first half and good all bollocking at half time….. rather than Arsenal dictating the game and then lacking the energy, whilst sitting on a comfy two goal lead, to do the same in the second half…. Yes any dick can do it, hahahaha 😛

71. steve says:

Only as one dimensional as your analysis right there TA lol 😛
    you’re quite right though it could have been us dictating in the first and knackered in the second but i have seen this contrast in our performances in direct correlation to the pressing and tempo of the opposition many times before throughout this season (never in the same match though lol which maybe be pointing towards your conclusion more in this instance).

btw “comfy two goal lead” 😆 😆 😆 those rose tinted glasses must be so thick you can barely see anything else by now lol 🙂

Special mention and shout out to me amigo as his 100% record continues and brings the boys good luck ( touch wood – long it may continue or for another 9 weeks at least !

?

Where we comfy in the lead or not? It is to do with team psychology and fatigue… Then came the early second half Barcodes goal and it all turned round…. that is football. What mattered is that we were once again able to play a Plan-B and get a result.

And I rather wear rose-tinted than shite coloured glasses… too close to the nose in the end… 😛

New Post New Post 🙂