Leicester City v Arsenal – The Champions and Runners-up meet early in the season for a feast of football?

Predicted Line-up and preferred Tactics

It is hard to predict how Wenger will line up against the Foxes this evening. In my previous post I picked my favourite 11 to both win the match and make a strong statement in the process. Having read Arsene’s comments over the last few days, I now reckon he will line up something like this:

submit football lineup

It looks certain that Koz will start and Wenger also seems to be indicating that Alexis may start again up front. I am in favour of  both decisions as Koz brings confidence and Sanchez has been a really good alternative to Giroud in the last two games. We scored six goals against City and Pool and that is a fine start to the season, especially as Giroud and Ozil – our top-scorer and top-assister last season – have not been seen on the pitch until now. Alexis is due a goal or two himself, and playing him central means that he does not have to work too hard and can ease himself back into top form.

With Ramsey out it is to be expected that Wenger will pick Santi for the nr10 position. On the wings, it is a choice between Theo, Ox and Campbell, as Iwobi is injured and Jack is probably not match-fit enough to start there. I would prefer the Costa Rican, but it looks like the speedy Englishmen will be preferred for this one.

This will be another battle of midfield and I wonder whether Wenger will stick with the ‘Dogs of War’ Elneny and Coq rather than introduce Xhaka from the start. My feeling is he will go safe and opt for the Swiss Maestro to come on later.

At the back the team picks itself, although some will argue that Gibbs should start ahead of Nacho. I reckon Wenger will stay loyal to Monreal, and he is also the sort of player who gets better and better the more he plays. I feel Wenger will not give up on Chambers easily and prefer him to Holding for today’s epic battle.

Tactics

We know that LC prefer to play on the counter and I hope we will not make it that easy for them. They will sit back and absorb our pressure and then spring the counter with their new signing Musa, Vardy and Mahrez, supported by the impressive Drinkwater whenever possible.

I don’t want us to expose King Koz like that in his first game. It is likely to cost us dearly and lead to injuries, and not just to Koz. As the Foxes are at home, it is easier for us to sit back and force them to come out and play, and then we can have fun on the counter instead of them, with the likes of Ox, Theo and Alexis offering a great threat, especially if they are fed by Cazorla and Elneny (and by themselves of course).

So let’s play compact and with real discipline and not allow them space behind our midfield that leaves the defence exposed. Let’s also be patient and professional, with the aim to take all three points back home – even if it is ‘just’ with a 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Come On You Rip Roaring Gunners!

By TotalArsenal

This entry was posted in match preview and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Koz-Chambers, Coq-Elneny, Theo-Alexis-Ox, Santi nr10: Predicted Line-Up and Tactics

1. babakrdaemi says:

I will swap Granit for Coq and I think that’s the 11.

I agree that Sanchez is a Suarez, Tevez type striker (or could be?). The problem is if that’s who we have up front, we need to adapt.

V Liverpool I noticed we kept playing it high for Sanchez to head down like Giroud would. The problem is Sanchez can’t do that. It’s either Sanchez not given the players the option or the players not being coached / thinking to adapt. However, it’s pointless Sanchez being up front if we play like that.

It actually takes him out the game. If we want to play like this it would be better to put Elneny up front. At least Sanchez can get the ball.

Hi baba

I would also swap Coq with Xhaka, but I reckon Wenger will start with Coq.

Agreed that we cannot play it high to Alexis all the time, even though he impressed once or twice with a tremendous jump. I reckon successful attacking football is first and for all about creating space, and Alexis has been contributing to this tremendously… just some goals by himself would do him good/ is needed. 🙂

Hi TA, I think you’ve got the line-up but we should get official word in 15-20 mins…

Last season it was a very open game, but, I think, this time around, both managers will be keen to keep things a little more under control… We’ll see, eh…

4. babakrdaemi says:

Hopefully we adapt a bit – Sanchez has the attributes to be great.

Looking forward to seeing Granit and Ozil together as well – with Elneny we really should dominate possession.

17HT

Are you still planning to do a live blog with the confirmed line up?

TA.. I prefer your last team..
    Sanchez didn’t performed well as CF in our last two games.. Get him back to RW.. and let Giroud do the Ibra roles.. hehehe..

We’ll know soon..

I can….but we can just put the confirmed line-ups here in the comments and go from there… What’s your preference?…

Me? I’m just looking for some company during the match… 🙂

six goals Henry, six goals in two games with Alexis up top…. something is working… 😉

The line-ups are out….

Leicester: Schmeichel, Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Mendy, Albrighton, Okazaki, Vardy Subs: Hernandez, Musa, King, Amartey, Zieler, Gray, Ulloa

Arsenal: Cech, Bellerin, Holding, Kos, Monreal, Xhaka, Le Coq, Walcott, Cazorla, Ox, Alexis
    Subs: Ospina, Gibbs, Wilshere, Giroud, Ozil, Chambers, Elneny

Holding gets the nod and Xhaka starts instead of the Egyptian…

Akpom starts

Er, no he doesn’t…

I will do a quick update as a new post, 17HT, and we will blog further on that one. Cheers.

Sounds good….

14. retsub1 says:

Everything crossed going into this one

Ox needs to prove he can be consistent

Xhaka needs to be careful what he kicks

Holding, glad he kept his place, just hope it’s not too much too soon

Kos stay healthy

COYG

Ah Geez…Chavs score 2 to lead from a losing position at Watford, while Wanyama gets his first (set-piece) goal for Spurs… Still a tiny bit of time in the 3 O’clock matches….

16. retsub1 says:

Grrrrrr Chelsea and Spurs grrrrr. Still Liverpool lost two nil to Burnley. In the 2nd half Liverpool had85 per cent possession and the overall shot count was 20 to 3 . It a funny old game

New Post New Post with Confirmed Line Up 🙂