If you were Unai Emery with over two months to go till the start of the new season, how would you go about to make Arsenal successful again? There is pretty much a clean sheet for you and you can spend at least £50m on players – a budget that can be enlarged through selling one or more players this summer. I actually believe the budget is higher than £50m but the BoD are rightly not going to advertise this publicly: negotiations benefit from claiming your budget is tight.
We all have our views on how Arsenal will get better, and I reckon I know most of the regular bloggers-on-BK’s views, but it would be good to see them expressed through answering a number of questions. Non-regular BKers and new bloggers are also very welcome to give us their views, of course. There are no right or wrong answers here, because it is about your football philosophy, views on players and how you believe you will get the best out of them. And it is all a bit of fun of course – we all know that we are not football managers! 🙂
So here are my ten questions to you:
- What style of football would you want us to play NEXT season and why? Strong focus on attacking football (goalfests ala Liverpool); strong focus on defence, winning many games with tide margins (the old Arsenal/Mourinho’s/Atletico Madrid approach); a strong balance between defending and attacking (the initial Wenger Arsenal teams, MU under Ferguson in the mid to late stages of his management career); or a form of total football (ala Barca, Wengerball, Man City under Guardiola)?
- Which formation would you like us to play in?
- Which two positions would you strengthen as a priority?
- Any other positions you would like to strengthen?
- Who would you sell?
- And who would you buy?
- Who would you appoint as Emery’s assistant?
- And who would become captain?
- Which two youngsters would you promote into the ‘Top-18’ squad this summer?
- Which two or three other things would you change, on or off the pitch, to make us more successful?
I will give you my answers a bit later today.