After last weekend’s spectacle, it will be a bit harder to get excited about this one v Sporting CP. Arsenal.com have done a good job in previewing the match, so if you haven’t as yet had a chance as yet, here is the link:

It is just a great opportunity for Unai to give his ‘fringers’ another chance to get football match fitness and to try things out in terms of formation and tactics. On the other hand, Emery wants to win the group and show UEFA and the sponsors that he takes this competition very seriously, so expect him to play a few first teamers as well.

This is my predicted line-up:

submit football lineup

Kola, Licht and Super Sok (if fully fit) could do with another game and are relatively safe pairs of hands. Guendouzi is a nailed on starter, but we need some experience in midfield so I expect the Swiss clockwork to start next to him. Rambo and Mkhi are likely starters and Auba up-front with Welbz as his shadow are also quite likely to start imo.

A start for Iwobi or Mesut is definitely also on the cards and I hope we will see AMN and Smith-Rowe getting some time on the pitch again. After a couple of hard fought draws it would be good to win again, especially with a difficult PL game v Wolves ahead of us.

Come On You Rip Roaring Gunners!!

By TotalArsenal.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Arsenal v Sporting CP Line-up and Preview: Rambo and Mkhi to Lead the Team to Victory

1. Pony Eye says:

That line up looks like it. Xhaka could do with a rest. He’s been verý busy lately and also very important to the 1st team. Should be amongst the big guns on the bench. I expect:

Cech
    Lich, Sokr, Holn Kola
    Douzi, Rambo
    MAN Mkhi, Iwobi
    Welbz

A strong bench.

Cheers Erismus, I don’t think we can afford to put so little defensive skills in the DMpivot, but you could be right. It is either Xhaka or Torreira tonight I reckon.

3. Pony Eye says:

Confirmed line up.

Cech
    Lich Sokr Holdn Jenks
    Douzi Ramb
    Mkhi ERS Iwobi
    Welbz.

4. RA says:

The fact that the Arsenal can put out more than one team and still have a chance to win against a very respectful Sporting Lisbon team speaks very well about Emerry!

I have not seen the bench but I suspect that if things do not go well there will be some top players ready to come on and help.

Love the ‘new’ Arsenal!

5. RA says:

When I said ‘Emerry’ – he might well be ‘merry’ but I put one ‘m’ too many — but Xmas is coming!! 😁. You all know that — right?? 🤪

6. jw1 says:

Thought possibly Elneny in the DM with Guendouzi.
    And this might be as physical as the away one.
    Do like the ESR start though. Wonder what Ramsey thinks about it?

jw1

Elneny is injured, jw1.

Redders, how are you doing? Agreed it is good to have best part of two teams to play with these days. And the UEFA and League Cups are good competitions to use the squad. What would he do with these competitions?

9. RA says:

It is very much like the ‘old days’, TA, with the style and fluency of all levels at the club.

I always give credit to AW, for the success he brought, but change was needed and it has altered the perception of the games in the short time since Emery has been in charge — and I love it that he ‘out-gurns’ Klopp — the faces, the energy and the gesticulations — all good.

[Not been too well for quite a while, TA, but hopefully on the mend] 🤞

Hope you are good.

sorry to hear that, RA. Hopefully the reborn Arsenal will give you something to cheer about. Are you back in the US now?

Yes, feel better, RA, but glad you’re feeling (E)merry about our football…

I also hope Danny Welbeck feels better… I realize I’m a bit of a doom & gloomer (lately, esp.) but I’ve got a bad feeling that’s his last time wearing the shirt. Along with the former manager (perhaps?) went some sentimentality for our injured players, “wasted” money on Santi Cazorla being a recent example. They’re not really showing the injury which tends not to be a good sign…

😦

Indeed not looking good for DW

13. Goonereris says:

Sad for Danny, but it would seem Auba has provided some threat after coming on for Danny. Still 0-0 in the 2nd half. Kola also on for Jenks, at left back.

I would like to be different but you just know that a start without at least one of Xhaka, Torreira is not going to work. I also wonder how many minutes we have actually been in front with neither of them on the pitch.

proving to be a costly evening for our wider squad…

unbeaten run continues. Not great but almost into next round.

17. Pony Eye says:

We are into the knockout stage but 1st position not yet guaranteed.

18. Goonereris says:

Yep. Quarabag’s win at Vorska ensured that.

19. jw1 says:

Shame that Auba didn’t start instead of DW.
    ‘Bout 3 of those balls that Danny scuffed — were tailor-made for a poacher.
    We score early? Maybe a moment like the one that cost Welbeck– doesn’t even happen.

jw1

20. Goonereris says:

To be fair, Auba spurned a few gilt-edge opportunities on the night, from what I heard. A win would have been nice, but good thing the draw was enough to seal qualification, as we set sights on first place.

21. jw1 says:

My thoughts on those early chances– then the injury?
    More about the ‘butterfly effect’ of Danny not being in that place– at that moment.

Welbz isn’t the prettiest at times– but among my faves for his sheer will.

jw1