We are just about 19 hours away from the TW closure, and as it looks the following is likely to happen:
- Tierney will join as our nr1 LB – a deal has been agreed with the club and the rest looks easy to get sorted/ player on his way to the home of football as we speak;
- Iwobi may get sold to the Toffees if the price is right – books will need to be balanced;
- Rumours are growing re David Luiz joining us and this looks very much like the Petr Cech situation a few seasons ago. The Luiz-Holding partnership would be strong with back up from Sok, Chambers and Mustafi;
- The latter may still leave the club if the offer is right for him (but I would use him as squad player in a number of defensive positions/ RB to start with until Bels is fully fit;
- Coutinho may join but I cannot see it happening (only if Ozil were to leave us which is also unlikely).
- Eddie will go on a season-long loan, possibly to Leeds. Will do him good.
As a result of the above, I reckon ‘our strongest team’ (on paper, due to some fitness issues) would be:
Well that would work fine for me. The PL and CL experience of Luiz next to the calm of Holding. The hunger and drive of proper wingbacks Bels and Tierney. The refreshed and ready to rock combo of TorKa in midfield and the European powerhouse attack of Ozil and his PALs!
And our ‘cups’/’second’ team would not look too shabby either:
Of course over the season there could well be changes to our strongest 11 due to competition and form of players as well as injuries and suspensions: nothing is carved in stone and Emery will, no doubt, have his own views! In fact it will be just as much about how he will use the players and what style of play and tactics he will apply. But that’s for a future post!
Come on you Rip Roaring GUNNERS!!!