Arsenal v Norwich Preview/ Line-up: Auba, Nelson, Saka to Feed Eddie.

Arsenal v Norwich City – July 1st, 2020

norwich city cathedral

During 1992–93, the inaugural season of the Premier League, Norwich City quickly emerged as surprise title contenders, before faltering in the final weeks to finish third behind the champions, Manchester United, and runners-up Aston Villa. Their top scorer that season was Mark Robins, who had been signed from Manchester United the previous summer.

The following season Norwich participated in the UEFA Cup for the first (and only) time, losing in the third round to Inter Milan, but defeating Bayern Munich. Winning 2–1, Norwich were the first British team to beat Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium. Mike Walker quit as Norwich City manager in January 1994, to take charge of Everton and was replaced by first team coach John Deehan who led the club to 12th place in the 1993–94 season in the Premier League. Norwich began the 1994–95 season well, despite the pre-season loss of top scorer Chris Sutton to Blackburn Rovers for a national record £5 million, and by Christmas they were seventh in the league. Norwich then won only one of their final 20 league games and slumped to 20th place and relegation, ending a nine-season run in the top flight.

After bouncing around the leagues Norwich finished the 2017–18 Championship season in 14th place. Despite a slow start, the following season was far more successful and the team spent most of the season at the top of the table – helped on by top scorer Teemu Pukki. Following a 2–1 win over Blackburn Rovers, the club was promoted back to the Premier League after a three-year absence as champions of the Championship.

Norwich Elm Hill

Our Premier League home record against Norwich has been excellent having lost only one game – back in August 1992, since then we have drawn two and won five. Although they are at the bottom of the league and destined to once again be demoted they showed in the FA Cup quarter final loss against Manchester United that they can play sharp disciplined football.

I would think that the loss to Man U must have been very demoralising and will not put them in a good head space for Wednesday’s game, whereas our win against Sheffield U must have raised our team spirit.

Arsenal v Norwich EPL Home Results
  W D L GF GA
1 15-Aug-92     1 2 3
2 30-Oct-93   1   0 0
3 01-Apr-95 1     5 1
4 02-Apr-05 1     4 1
5 05-May-12   1   3 3
6 13-Apr-13 1     3 1
7 19-Oct-13 1     4 1
8 30-Apr-16 1     1 0
9 02-Jul-20
Total : 5 2 1 22 10

Here are the latest standings at the bottom of the Premier League – it will need a remarkable turnaround by Norwich and a complete collapse by two of the four teams immediately above them in order for them to retain a position in the Premier League and I cannot see that happening.

Pos Team GP GD Pts
15 Brighton 31 -7 33
16 Watford 32 -20 28
17 West Ham 31 -19 27
18 Bournemouth 31 -21 27
19 Aston Villa 32 -24 27
20 Norwich 31 -31 21

I fail to see how they can beat us on Wednesday but our defensive frailties against set pieces are well known and could once again be our Achilles heel.

Arsenal v Norwich All Home Results
  W D L GF GA
Division 1 11 5 1 32 10
Premier 5 2 1 22 10
Total : 16 7 2 54 20

Even given our defensive shortcomings they have only beaten us at home twice in football league history so I forecast a 2-0 victory at a crowd less Emirates Stadium, in our first home game since March 7th.

GunnerN5

TA’s Team:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Arsenal v Norwich Preview/ Line-up: Auba, Nelson, Saka to Feed Eddie.

Cheers GN5 for another fabulous post. They are very proud in Norwich about that win v Bayern, If you watch the video you will see how poor the footie could be back then: all three goals are poorly defended and of a level you would not expect anymore in Europe. But a win like that is what any smallish club dreams of.

I am less sure about us getting three points tomorrow but statistically speaking it is indeed looking good.

Thanks for the info GunnerN5.

I agree, Norwich were very unlucky against Man Utd in the Cup, I thought that they played a more attractive, technical brand of football that the Mancs but were ultimately undone by a refereeing decision. Watching them made me feel that tomorrow should be more about the quality of the football rather than physicality and that should suit us.

I’m not sure that I’d change our defensive set up Total, a back three can be as equally offensive as it can be secure defensively, also we shouldn’t take Norwich lightly, we’re not yet good enough to do that.

I’m hopeful that we’ll see both Torrieira and Soares on the subs bench so if the opportunity presents itself we can give them a few minutes, likewise Matt Smith.

Ozil is out again, I guess it’s not beyond possibilities that we may not see him again this season?
    As for Guendouzi another spell of not being in the squad might be required to hammer the point that Arteta is in charge and he needs to maybe be a tad more serious about his chosen profession?

Kev, I dont mind 3-4-3 but dont see it necessarily as a better defensive formation than 4-2-1-3. It all depends about the positioning of the full backs if you ask me. I do like somebody to help with bridging the gap between midfield and attack and that is why I have gone with this formation and Saka in the hole position.

4. GunnerN5 says:

Hi Total,

On reflection I think I’m more hopeful than confident of us winning tomorrow. But in the last two games there has been a distinct improvement in both our defensive play and our team work.

Also as i stated in the post Norwich players are probably in a low frame of mind after their FA Cup run ended, whereas it is the opposite situation with Arsenal. I really hope that we have a clean sheet to build up our defenses confidence.

Good man, GN5. You did state that but I am always wary when we play an opponent we believe we should beat (easily). 😉

6. GunnerN5 says:

An update on our “sick ” list.

Please find the latest team news update from our medical team ahead our match against Norwich City:

Cedric Soares
    Back in full training and available for selection following facial injury.

Lucas Torreira
    Back in full training and being assessed ahead of Norwich City (h) on Wednesday.

Mesut Ozil
    Being assessed ahead of Norwich City (h) on Wednesday, following back soreness.

David Luiz
    Right knee. Being assessed ahead of Norwich City (h) on Wednesday.

Bernd Leno
    Right knee. Sustained moderate ligament sprain during Brighton & Hove (a) on June 20. Aiming to return to full training in approximately four weeks.

Pablo Mari
    Left ankle. Sustained significant sprain to ankle ligaments during Manchester City (a). Has had a successful procedure to the injury this week. Aiming to return to full training in two to three months.

Gabriel Martinelli
    Left knee. Sustained injury during training on June 21. Successful arthroscopic procedure undertaken to repair a lesion in the cartilage of the left knee. Will not be available for the current schedule of remaining 2019/20 matches.

Calum Chambers
    Left knee. Ruptured anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee during Chelsea (h) on December 29. Rehabilitation post-surgical repair continuing and currently progressing well with running and gym work. Will not be available for the current schedule of remaining 2019/20 matches.

As part of Premier League protocol, all members of our first team squad and support staff continue to be regularly tested for COVID-19.

Copyright 2020 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source.

7. GunnerN5 says:

Total, with the current version of Arsenal – I take absolutely nothing for granted.

Okay so we may be seeing Soares in action tomorrow, and maybe even El Torro!

Tbh Total I just think we need the extra security that an extra defender centrally gives us in a 3 at the back. I prefer a back four, the best sides generally have a back four, but we’re not one of them, we have too many issues in our midfield defensively and our defence itself is just developing some confidence, but you might be right?

You have a point, Kev. I am also happy with 3-4-3 and I do believe Arteta is going for that formation at the moment. A lot depends whether Xhaka (or Torreira) will play as the Swiss tends to sit deeper and offers to be that extra CB at times, so I prefer to play with four at the back when he is available.

11. GunnerN5 says:

Arteta – every game is a must win game!

ttps://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53241440

Total, for me, Xhaka had one of his best games against Sheff Utd, he made one error near the end but other than that he was the glue in our midriff. I’m sure that he’ll start against Norwich, I’d go with our strongest, more effective XI and make changes, I mean you change half the team now, I like it. No more Brighton’s, get the points where we should win and worry about the following games when they arrive.

That’s it, Kev. Just look forward to each game and not worry about our position on the table. Just work on improving our game and building something in the process. In a way these games till the ‘end of the season’ are all sort of friendlies for us. Friendlies that we try hard to win.

14. Jnyc says:

Nice post N5 and thank you for the injury update. A couple thoughts on how we’ve been playing… I guess maybe it’s just the chopping and changing and Arteta wanting to test people out, but our passing overall and midfield have been so substandard I find it frustrating to watch. So many misplaced passes, falling short, too slow, not lead correctly. Lazy long balls heaved forward, crosses to noone.
    …. Willock to me is just a body out there, nothing more. I dont see any particular decision making from him, and many poor choices on passes from the squad in general, including the uber talented Pepe. Seeing it makes me want Ozil in the team, Saka, Nelson and Eddie would all benefit from playing with Ozil, as I used to say about Pepe. It was so bad the other day, that the only time i felt any hope for a quality ball around the opponents box was when Tierney had the ball. He seems a wonderful passer and crosser but that should be a bonus to help our midfielders, not be our best creator…..
    Xhaka has been great since Arteta came, maybe the best since he’s been with us. I personally think its because he’s being used correctly now and you know I griped about Arsene’s use of him from the beginning, and still under Emery. Watching Bruno Fernandez for United and he seems the real deal, and what we’re missing. If we are not moving forward with Mesut, that position needs addressing.

15. LE GALL says:

just watched barça – atleti; 3 penalties, one own goal, the strangest of games
    tomas “talk of the town” partey has obvious physical and positioning qualities, he plays with authority, but has a tendancy to commit foolish fouls – the PGMO hyenas are gonna love that
    50M pounds?? i don’t understand what is so fascinating about that kind of player … i was much more impressed by tomas’s opponent, the diminutive riqui puig, the latest massia wonderkid
    several world cup winners (lemar, umtiti, griezmann) look very, very unhappy in la liga … maybe that”s where the bargains are??

16. pbarany says:

Great preview as always, GN5.
    I am also optimistic about the game tonight, but let’s not forget, that MU beat Brighton away yesterday by 3:0, where we left without a single point, so we don’t always manage to have the technical and tactical difference materialize.

I don’t know the seriousness of Ozil’s back injury, but I think reintroducing him on a home game against a weaker opponent would be reasonable, so I can see him in the starting line-up, or maybe on the bench for a 2nd half substitution.

Agreeing with Le Gall I think Thomas Partey is a decent midfielder, but 50M since the pandemic 50M is the new 150M. Sane was sold for 40M, and he is in a different ballpark than Partey. Arthur and Pjanic were kind of swapped, so the 64M and 54M transfer fees should be taken lightly, so the most expensive next summer signing (at the moment) is Timo Werner (Chelsea, 53M), and he worth 61% more than Thomas Partey according to Transfermarkt. So I would be reluctant to pay his release cause to be honest. Same applies to Upamecano.

Cheers J, I thought Willock was very good in the first half and had a couple of high quality, intelligent passes. He fits well with Xhaka too. A work in progress of course but I was encouraged by his allround performance at Stoke United.

Legallos, there will be some bargains indeed, but only if we can sell a few of ours as money will be tight this summer, no doubt.

I think Ozil’s days are over at Arsenal, PB. It is hard to still give him the benefit of doubt now that he even seems to have fallen out with Arteta.

Morning Total, Arteta always seems to say just enough to get his point across without being confrontational and he always leaves the door ajar for the player to return to the fold.

It’s a shame that Arsenal haven’t been able to come to an agreement with St Etienne over William Saliba, but tbh did St Etienne really think that Arsenal were going to extend his loan and pay them £2.5m so that he could play for them in a cup final, with all the risks involved?

I mean the French club could argue that it was Arsenal who insisted on that clause, that is £2.5m after 17 games, but that agreement ended yesterday and we are living in different time where money is tight, it makes no financial sense to pay something that was agreed in a past contract when you don’t gain anything.

I mean, what if Arsenal agreed, pay St Etienne the £2.5m and Saliba gets injured and misses most of next season, what would Arsenal fans say then about Raul & Co..?

Saliba is going to be really miffed at missing the final and the perfect way for him to say goodbye to his old club and it’s fans. Arteta must be aware of that that’s why he struck a conciliatory tone yesterday as it’s not the perfect way for William to start his Arsenal career.

If Arsenal are asking players to take wage cuts then how can they justify the payment?

It’s all very messy.

21. LE GALL says:

you’re right about the market, pb
    bayern have just bought leroy sané for … £41m!! and that kid is what i call a great player
    i found Jnyc harsh on joe, too – i understand he may be frustrating at times, though, and he’s not the finished product, that’s for sure
    but … he’s 20!! he has character (as he showed against newcastle last year when he retrieved the ball from shelvey – unai went berserk on the side line), he is the only goalscorer among our midfielders – and his best is yet to come, in that regard
    i think he has to muscle up too, before becoming the great midfierlder arsenal need – but that physical side of training is the easiest part
    let’s remember he has never been given a run of games in his preferred poisition (BtoB) – as i commented upon pb’s post on guendouzi, i wish he had been given some of matteo’s playing time
    hale end has given, us a true golden generation; if – and only if – given a little time, shown a little patience, they’ll make us very proud

Wigan Athletic have gone into administration, is that the first of many?
    The word is as many as 40 Football League clubs could join them…

Sad story, Kev.

24. njk84sg says:

Sad news Kev. Lots of clubs do not have a strong cashflow like the top clubs and are barely staying open.

And i heard news of another heatwave going towards the British Isles and Britannia, so everyone please stay hydrated.

It is sad Total/84, those clubs are what makes the game interesting.

From a positive vibe, Saka has signed…

Made me think of meeting up with Wigan Gooner about 8 years ago and see Arsenal scrape a win there…

27. GunnerN5 says:

You are so right allezkev – this is great news indeed!!!

28. GunnerN5 says:

In fact the signing of Saka to a long term contract is the best news of the season, he has been with us since he was seven years old – just imagine a seven year old dreams coming to fruition – simply wonderful!!

hear hear, GN5. Great news. A very promising player and one Arteta can use all over the pitch.

30. pbarany says:

Great news on Saka! I read his interview after the contract, he is such an adorable guy.

Kev, what is this story on the Ł2-5M?
    I thought is mostly about the training plan and the wages for the 4 weeks of July…

31. LE GALL says:

martinez
    mustafi-luiz-kolasinac
    bellerin-ceballos-xhaka-tierney
    nelson-aubameyan
    lacazette
    for reiss and laca, it’s tonight or never
    mikel true to his system
    victory vital, before the scary run of games ahead, stylish victory would be nice
    COYG

Nice line up and indeed 3-4-3 again. See how we plan to bridge the gap between deep midfield and attack with these players. Ceballos must pass quicker than usual and Nelson can help a lot with this too. COYGs!!

33. Jnyc says:

Sorry guys. I love Eddie, Saka, Tierney, Nelson. Pepe… I see immense ability. AMN, needs to be focused on one position. Willock, I hope you’re right, and i want to be proven wrong, but i dont see it …. yet.

Fair enough, J. Time will tell us both! 🙂

35. pbarany says:

To be honest, I’m not entirely convinced on AMN and Willock either.
    But I’m optimistic, as passing and decision making were Joe’s weak suits (he is good at dribbling, pressing and long shots) and he seems improved in that departments – at least against Sheffield.

On the line-up, it seems like a strong one. And we have Soares on the bench. I hope we can see him playing tonight.

36. LE GALL says:

auba!! same goal as Eddie at the dell – that’s weird
    laca’s painful to watch; what’s wrong with him??
    Ceballos very good so far – but we don’t create enough – do we depend that much on a 18-year-old? I’m afraid so
    come on lads, let’s try and pile up some goals

37. LE GALL says:

granit!!
    very nice move; juba’s instinctive assist very nice
    so happy for our swiss shield and maestro – I wish reiss could bag one now
    how long has it been since we last had an hour of relaxed football ahead of us
    very nice feeling indeed

38. LE GALL says:

brilliant canary free-kick; emi well focused really made me think of bernd on that one
    2-0 HT; Eddie’s bound to come in for laca at some point, I hope the god of goalscorers’s watching our n°9, and will bestow a tap-in upon him, before he walks out

PB, for you Ami.

Julien Laurens
    @LaurensJulien
    · 6h
    The key in the Arsenal-St Etienne Saliba issue: Arsenal need to pay an extra €2.5m if he starts 17 games in all comps this season. He is on 16. To extend his loan, Arsenal rightly asked that if St Etienne wanted to start him in the final, they cancel the clause. They refused.

We have an opportunity here to improve our goals scored and whilst I’m not dismissing Norwich, I think we need to be ruthless without being reckless.

Ceballos is playing well…

41. pbarany says:

After a Nelson-Willock substitution Arsenal is playing 3-5-2

Shame about that Willock shot near the end, 5-0 just sounded nice, but I’ll take 4-0, clean sheet again, another goal from midfield and even a defender scored, what’s not to Like?!

Ceballos to me, had a very good game, Tierney again impressive, Luiz dare I say as well, blimey it doesn’t get any better…

43. LE GALL says:

well done, lads
    now, the next five games will truly define our season …
    we scored four, but what i have in mind at the moment is emi’s brilliance – when bernd’s fit again, mikel’s in for a few sleepless nights

44. Jnyc says:

Ceballos was the difference Kev, no doubt. Xhaka is our iron man, and he needs a professional midfielder with skills and instincts out there with him. Having them both in the lineup helps our forwards shine. Even before the gift goal by Krill, Ceballos was creating opportunities that we don’t see lately when he’s not in the team.
    I was going by what I last heard a long while back, that there’s no chance we could keep Ceballos. Has anyone heard anything on the subject? With the new financial reality in the game, maybe Madrid’s attitude has altered a bit?…..

And beautiful managerial power move by Arteta! I was noting towards the end of the first half that Mustafi was out of control today ( more than usual, lol ). I always appreciate his effort, but we just cant afford the mistakes. If the move wasn’t for health reasons, giving him the hook at halftime sends an excellent message to the player and the rest of the team. They all notice things like that. Young manager also stamps his authority early on, also. So it’s a triple positive in one substitution.

What I like about Ceballos or the new improved version J is he always looks to progress the ball, you see Kolasinac or Mustafi in particular and they advance with the ball, then stop and either turn inside looking for a safe pass or pass backwards. Now this could be under instructions because their passing is iffy and it’s better that we keep possession and maybe draw the opposition out, but you see Ceballos and he spins and drives forward or looks for a forward pass, just like Saka. Every Man City player is like that, comfortable on the ball and always looking to drive forward and that’s where I think and hope that Arteta can take us.

John, if Ceballos can continue to play like he has and I wasn’t sure about him and wasn’t worried about him leaving a couple of weeks or so ago, but he’s winning me over and maybe, just maybe, if Arsenal can persuade Real to be more realistic about his transfer fee and the club can move on a few players for decent fees then who knows?

47. LE GALL says:

glorious day
    even got myself a brand new desktop background:

Nice one, LeGallos. He looks so young there!

Great result by the Hammers…

Indeed Kev. The next two games will be very interesting for us: Wolves away and Foxes at home. OGAAT of course and let’s see how we fare this weekend.

New Post New Post 🙂