I don’t know about you but I quite like it that Arsenal have not traveled to the USA and instead played a few local friendlies v Millwall and Watford.
A lot of time gets wasted by travelling so far away, and with all the Covid risks and disruptions this should ensure a more relaxed and focused preparation. Next up are the Chavs and the Spuddies and so we just stay local all the way till the opening game v newly promoted Brentford.
The mission for our team is clear: finish in the top four and try to win a cup. It is a bit ‘back to basics’ without the European ties but the good thing is that we will not be playing games on Thursday anymore. Spursday is for late shopping and getting all your crisps and beer in for the weekend, not for watching football.
Arteta is of course building something very big and I have a lot of trust in him to get it right. We really needed to strip things back and start again and I think that he is making fine progress. Since 26 December, Arsenal have played 22 games, won 12, drew 5, lost 5, scored 38 and conceded just 20 goals. This would have seen us finishing third in the League. Mikel can build further on this and he has made some good squad signings to strengthen the team in areas in which most of us believed the team needed strengthening. If he adds Ben White, a decent keeper and creative attacker in the coming weeks, we should indeed be in a good position to finish in the top four.
But that is enough talk about the end goal. It is of course all about the journey and the football itself. That is what I am looking forward to. So many things to look forward to and focus on:
- Will Auba and Laca have a super season?
- How will our ‘new’ nr.10 do in his second full season? And who will join in that position, if anybody?
- How will Partey do in his second season in the PL? And how and where will Lokonga play in midfield?
- Will Xhaka still be around and if not will Lokonga be his natural replacement?
- How will the full backs do this season and who will play right FB most of the games; Bels, Chambers or Soares?
- How will White fit in in a four or a three/five at the back? Or could he be used in midfield instead?
- Can Saka and Pepe put real fire into our attack this season?
- Will Eddie and Balogun be firing from all cylinders this season?
- What roles will AMN and Willock play in our midfield?
- Could Willian have a much better season – early signs in our friendlies are promising?
- How are we going to deal better with setpieces delivered into our box (lobby to ban all headers this season? 🙂 )?
Alas, so many questions and I have not even started about system of football for this season.
We have it all to look forward to fine fellow Gooners and I cannot wait for it to start again.
What are you mostly looking forward to?
Who is the one player you would like to add before the season starts?