So the new season is upon us and the question is are Arsenal ready to go?
It is not easy to answer this question just based on the preseason friendlies. The Millwall and Watford games saw us score loads of goals but they are not deemed equal opposition; and the Chavs and Spuds games we lost both narrowly in tightly fought encounters. Feel free to pull conclusions from these games but I cannot do so.
The squad was good and has seen good improvements in defence and midfield. Keeping Xhaka will provide great continuity for the Arteta philosophy – Granit is his embodiment on the pitch – and IF (and it is a big IF) Partey can stay fit for most of the season and Sambi Lokonga can hit the ground running in his absence, I reckon we will see a step improvement in deep midfield.
The big remaining questions are:
- Will we get an extra ‘nr10’ midfielder, given that ESR, Azeez and possibly Saka are all still very young (but super exciting prospects)?
- Will we get an extra ‘more allround’ CF?
- Who is going to be our nr.2, and even our nr.1, goal keeper?
I would like to hear your views.
For what it is worth, here are my views:
- With the imminent departure of Joe Willock it looks like we are going to get a talented, youngish creative midfielder before the TW shuts. We need a player who is two seasons ahead in their development compared to ESR and will give him healthy competition. I like the sound of Maddison but reckon that we are actually after somebody else. Adding a ready to hit the ground nr10 is of course very exciting so let’s hope it will materialize.
- This would not surprise me, but I reckon we will get goals from the current squad. With 1.7 PL goals per game since Christmas, the boys know how to find the net again. The big question is what to expect from Auba. He has had a poor season and seemed not really present for some (good) reasons. His confidence may still be low but I predict another 19-25 PL goals this season. Letting one of Auba and Laca go soon would also make sense, as long as we replace them. In a nutshell, I don’t expect a extra CF to join us anytime soon.
- I really don’t know. Leno seems to be aware he is not regarded as automatic nr1 anymore…. and the club have been linked with other established goalkeepers. It would not surprise me if a quality GK is bought in the next two weeks and I hope Arsenal do.
And yes I do think Arsenal
What do you think?
Finally, where are Arsenal going to finish this season?