Now that the TW business is finally over, we can all fantasise what our best formation/11 is, and I like to hear your thoughts about it.
Obviously, it does depend on Mikel’s footballing philosophy, which I am sure will become much clearer now that he has almost all his chess pieces on the board.
Here are my thoughts:
- I like both Holding and White to play. Without Luiz in the team, we need Rob’s leadership as well as his aerial qualities. Ben offers that quick thrust forward from defence which will give our play another dimension.
- Partey is THE man in midfield but unlike Xhaka he is injury prone and this makes it hard to build the team around him. Scapegoat Granit is still a key player but should become less pivotal this season, which I am pretty sure he and Arteta agreed will be his last.
- ESR and The Ode will both need to play so we have options for creating chances and play the superior passing game.
- Can Auba and Laca play together? We need the added goal threat but Auba lacks the footballing skills to play LF imo. We also need a super sub offering real impact.
- We need height in the team for dealing with set pieces on either end.
- We need real thrust from the wings but also great capability to hold on to the ball and pass it well in tight spaces. Saka and ESR are such players, Pepe struggles with this, especially in PTB games when there is little space to operate in. Pepe is super sub potential.
- The GK needs to be dynamic and assured, both in the air and with his feet. Ramsdale looks the better option but Leno is still the first choice.
- We need a regular starting 11 with the right personalities and character that gradually will ooze title winning aspirations and conviction.
So on the basis of this here is my Arsenal Best-11:
Leno (for now)
TBD* – Hold – Gab – KT
–White—-Partey – –
* I want to see our new signing from Bologna in action before deciding on the strongest RFB option.
I think this is quite close to the strongest eleven. Defensively very solid and a really dynamic and strong (with !Presence!) midfield with a great balance. Four dynamic, great passers of the ball in tight spaces in attack, and all able to take on a man. Saka becomes more our second attacker with Laca our main one. Ode and ESR and of course Partey to unlock defences from midfield and higher up.
Only issue I have is lack of regular goalscorers in this set up, and my biggest wish is to see Saka, Emile and Martin all get double figures this season.
Auba, Pepe and Balogun / Eddie should also start games but especially the first two could become great super subs this season.
What is your ideal starting eleven?
By TotalArsenal 🚀 ⚽