Dear Bergkampesquerers 🙂
It has been a topsy-turvy year for us loyal Gooners but what a joy it is to witness and be part of the great Arteta revolution. I realise that not everybody has joined the Arteta-train as yet, and indeed some will probably never do so and disappear into the background (a real shame); but for those who believe in Arteta’s ability to take our great club to great heights once more, the green shoots of recent months are a real joy to behold.
Mikel is building something special and I urge you to re-watch the recent game against West Ham to see how far the team has come. Despite the manager fielding such a young team, at times it can play with real maturity, great focus and work rate; and for me the game against the Hammers showed what this team is ALREADY capable of. There are still areas for improvement and the team remains a work in progress. Especially away against the bigger clubs we need to show more composure and a self-belief that we will beat our opponents in those famous dens of adversity such as Old Toilet and Goodison Park.
But there were so many sources of joy coming from this team in 2021:
- The roaring, never give up goalkeeping by Aaron;
- The Japanese bullet train of Tomiyasu;
- The calm, great positioning and fine forward runs by Big Ben;
- The gladiatorial presence and superb timing of Big Gab;
- The tigerish forward running and great crosses of both Tierney and Tavares;
- The intelligent play and well-measured forward passes of Sambi;
- The control and structure-giving qualities of Xhaka and Partey;
- The dances into the box of unstoppable Bukayo;
- The re-emergence of the goal-focused Martinelli;
- The smoothness and silkiness of the Ode (to Joy) and Emile the Great – including their goals from midfield positions;
- The work rate and battle-preparedness of Laca;
- And the hunger of the wider squad players to make it into the first team.
It has been a difficult year for all of us with Covid-19 continuously rearing its ugly head and the associated uncertainty regarding work, the health of/time with family and friends, our personal health etc.
I would like to thank Arteta and the boys for bringing me so much joy during this often dark year and for making me believe again in better times for the club.
I would also like to thank from my Gooner’s heart my friends on Bergkampesque for the support and human warmth given to me and fellow bloggers. We don’t all have to agree with each other, and indeed we often don’t, but in general we showed great respect towards each other and together we have helped each other through an often difficult year.
A special thank you goes to wonderful GoonerNr5 who so diligently and enthusiastically runs the footie competitions for us on BK. Please give him a round of applause from wherever you are in the world!
So here is to more supporter-harmony in 2022, the year of the Three Swans, and for further progress (but most likely not linear).
Who knows what the new year will bring in terms of final position in the table and maybe even some silverware. All to play for!
Have a very Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy and harmonious 2022!