Eight oobservations from a pulsating, wonderful win at the Bridge:
- The first minute: we kick off and then put relentless pressure on the Chavs with six players in their half. They are like possessed wolves chasing down pray. The tone is set. We are going to attack you, we are going to make you sweat, we are going to force you into mistakes, we are going for the win.
- The next five minutes we are under pressure after some poor passing by nervous players. Two corners are defended with pure determination. Xhaka blocks, Big Gab comes to the rescue after Ramsdale misjudged the flight of the ball. We hang in there but don’t sit back. We want to attack, take the game to them. No fear, just a bit nervy.
- Six minutes later. We continue to pass badly from the back leading to dangerous situations, but our central mids are focused and calm now. Then Xhaka and ESR take the ball from Loftus the Cheek and Tavares kicks the ball hopefully towards Eddie. Christensen has it covered but the ball has some curve and spin on it and he mistimes his kick back to the goalie. Eddie is on to it and in a one on one with the keeper, who is making himself big near the penalty spot, he slots home like a seasoned professional. Cool as a Siberian cucumber. Have that and please call me! 😁
- Four minutes after that moment of much needed luck and skill, we are pecked back again. A deflection from a Werner shot and a Xhaka block sees Ramsdale, whose vision was probably blocked and who was expecting a shot to his left corner, misjudging the flight of the ball. Painfully, we need to do it all again.
- After that we hold out for a bit as Chelsea get in their groove. Then from deep in our defence comes the second goal. Our defence is jittery but Xhaka takes on three Chavs from our own box to get the ball to eager bunny, Ode; the man with the perfect hair passes quickly to Bukayo, Eddie makes a run and Emile has to make up ground; Saka passes to the Norwegian conductor who has three quick touches and passes the ball to Emile who has timed his run to perfection and billiards the ball in as cool as a deep frozen cucumber. A truly brilliant goal, one from the training ground. 2-1 to the Gunners.
- Then we let it slip again. The Chavs were constantly targeting our right side and also this time they found a way through by overloading their players there. White may have been fouled in the process but it was still a good goal by the home side. Another set back but yet it felt like that would be it from Chelsea. We could win this in the second half if we avoided any more mistakes. And ESR got very close just before the end of the half to finish it in front.
- The second half was ours. Gradually we started to dominate and the home side went through the motions. We had more energy and purpose in our play. We played with belief and after Eddie’s brilliant pounce in the box never looked back, except for a couple of hairy moments in the box. Saka’s pen was so sweet too.
- Well played the manager and team. What a timely win. What a shot of natural doping in the legs, hearts and souls. CoyrrGs!