Arsenal 2 – 1 Fulham
You’ve gotta fight for your right to party!
Eight very quick observations from our hardest win of the season so far:
- Our defenders almost had a perfect game v the beast of the Cottagers. Mitrovic was very impressive in terms of how he tries to make space for himself and others. Our team controlled him well but for a moment of indecision by Big Gab. Was it the fear factor or just a blip in concentration? These sort of goals we will concede a few times this season; it’s almost inevitable. I am glad for Gabriel that he could undo his mistake`and that will have made him sleep much better.
- The Ode is playing out of his skin at the moment. He danses around the pitch but with the vision of an albatross. His passes and crosses were at times from a different dimension. Martin is Mesut with attitude.
- Ramsdale to the rescue. It was good to see Bernd in the Fulham goal and I thought he did well. But the outstanding saves of the game were made by Aaron. He was quietly one of our best players.
- All our attackers lacked a bit of final composure yesterday. Saka missed a half decent chance but also Martinelli and Jesus, who simply have a bit more fan credit at the moment, were below par in terms of their execution. But I also want to stress that Fulham defended very well.
- Saka is just such a useful player. He can play almost anywhere and I saw him having spells in all four corners. His dribble and pass let to our equaliser and he was continously involved. Bukayo may not be at his sharpest but even then he is one of our best players.
- Elneny started brightly with very good positioning and tidy passes. Like Partey does a lot, he did seem to be less involved towards the final third of the game. Still I thought Mo stepped in well for Thomas.
- Kieran was a bit rusty and maybe a bit nervous too, but I am glad he had a start and I hope he will start again on Wednesday. I don’t think Zinchenko is really injured but that he and Thomas are spared for the game at the Old Toilet Bowl. They may both play the last thirty minutes v Villa but I don’t think they will start.
- The last fifteen minutes were awesome. The pressure on Fulham was unbelievable and it all paid off. Every game is a cup game right now, it seems. Only by giving everything for ninety minutes can we win. These boys know and live this, and Arteta has done so well to get them to this stage.