Last year I issued a post with ten wishes for 2013, these were (in no particular order):
- A top-three finish: both the Chavs and the Northern Oilers are there for the taking and we can finish in the top-three, no doubt about that!
- The team to keep its mojo now and to find the perfect balance between a mean defence and attacking football;
- A Diaby miracle: he is fit again apparently and I am hoping he will stay fit for most of the remainder of the season to help us finish as high as possible in the league;
- Theo to commit long term to Arsenal and the purchase of an additional, quality winger;
- A beast of a DM (see previous post for reasons why);
- Change of captaincy: TV is a great player but not a great captain. In fact, the captaincy makes him weaker, and there are good potential captains in our team: Mertesacker, Arteta, Wilshere, Szczesny;
- A good cup-run either in the CL, or FA-cup. It would be great to beat Bayern Munich, and if we do, this team can get far in the CL. In a way, the same goes for the Swansea away game: a win there could mean the start of a great FA-cup run;
- No return to a busy sick bay: it is absolutely fantastic that we have all key players fit and available now, and long may it continue – our bench is looking very strong now;
- Holding on to all our key players for once this summer. Arsene to be given full support by the BoD to continue building a top-team by not selling any of our key players, and giving him sufficient funds to strengthen where needed;
- Dennis to join our coaching staff and to get a statue at Ashburton Grove!
We did not get one and three, and two is still a work in progress; nevertheless progress has been made and Flamini and Ozil have been a big plus for us in the new season – one in defence and the other in adding an attacking dimension we had been missing.
Four came true and that was probably the turning moment for us in terms of being able to hold on to players again – a big moment, and as a result, nine came true too! Five came true as well, as Flamini has been brilliant for us; but it remains to be seen how long he can play such a major role for us.
Six did not come true officially, but practically Vermaelen has seldom or never been our captain in the new season. Seven… best not to speak about this one. I was at the Blackburn FA cup home game and it was the single worst game I have watched Arsenal play live.
Eight seems to be our faith as once again we have been missing many a key player during the year, especially in the new season. And ten remains a dream. 🙂
My ten wishes for 2014:
- A top-two finish, and hopefully us being crowned champions in May.
- Full integration of Ozil into the team, and finding the right balance between our options in midfield and attack..
- Somebody to properly claim LM/LW, either from the current squad or through buying super quality in January or summer.
- The arrival of a beast of DM with footballing qualities to strengthen the double DM pivot and provide cover and competition for the ageing Arteta and (sooner or later) Flamini.
- A home win against Bayern, and hopefully us beating the Germans over both legs – after that anything is possible! 🙂
- Cesc to return to the real home of football.
- Wilshere to find his form again and have a great season and World Cup.
- Sagna to sign a new contract and to play more regularly as a CB; Jenkinson to claim the RB position or move on this summer (and us finding a great replacement).
- To keep hold of all our key players whilst adding quality were required – and a few youngsters to make significant progress.
- Dennis to join us.
Wishing all BK writers, regular commenters and readers a fabulous and healthy 2014, with many Arsenal highlights!
COYG: Let’s make 2014 a special year!
Victoria Concordia Crescit! 🙂