How to line-up our team.
So we had the Emery to FL change and the first game of the new interim-era is behind us. There was simply not enough time for Freddie to put his stamp on the team and it remains to be seen whether Thursday’s game against the Seagulls will also not be too soon. However, he has held the wheel in his own hands now and that experience is likely to have given him new ideas on how to approach our next game.
From my own and Pb’s post game posts and bloggers’ comments here on BK, I reckon the team should look something like this:
Many believe we don’t have enough quality players, but I would trust the above team to give any PL team a more than decent game, especially once everybody is fully fit. These are my key considerations:
- Xhaka and Torreira are 2.5 players on the pitch if they are both fielded, but they need to play in line and a bit deeper most of the game;
- Ozil is required for his creativity but he needs a couple of attackers who can also pass and combine in tight spaces;
- Hence my perference to play Willock near him and Laca or Martinelli in the hole position;
- I prefer Auba up top with Laca or Martinelli behind him. Wing play can come from the full backs and either Ozil or Willock (or Saka and Pepe if we need more pure wing skills);
- Martinelli is that good that we need to play him more, either in the hole or up top – as a starter or regular sub;
- Luiz is the brain of defence but we need to give him a steady-eddy next to him. That is either Chambers or Holding imo;
- Guendouzi should also get time in this team but not in the deeper midfield positions as he is much more of an attacker than a defender;
- We would need to dare to push up a bit and focus on our passing game again, but with real urgency and penetration.
I feel that with this team and formation we can defend and attack better and have much better balance in midfield….
But what do you think? How would you like Freddie to line up the team?